how did you tone up after childbirth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-10-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm a first time mom and I am terrified that I'll never be able to tone this belly/these hips back up.  I need some inspiration.  My daughter is 4 months old and my stomach is still yucky and hips are still too fat.  I was a size 6 pre preg and now am a 10 and I've been stuck here for a while.  I only have 8 more lbs before I'm pretty close to pre preg weight, but I'm not losing much in inches.  How did YOU tone it up??  Please tell me it's possible because it feels impossible right now!

Danielle (29)reading.gif married to my best friend Lou guitar.gif since 9/10/10 stillheart.gif ,mama to Ada Adelleenergy.gif since 8/5/11, and expecting a new addition around 4/19/14 stork-boy.gif
#2 of 9 Old 12-10-2011, 08:09 PM

It has only been 4 months. Please don't be so hard on yourself. Things will start to go back to normal eventually as long as you stay active and take control of your eating. I remember feeling that way, like my body would never be normal again. But after having 3 kids I can tell you it usually does gradually go back to normal and the things that did change permanently I learned to embrace. You are beautiful. And congratulations!!!!

#3 of 9 Old 12-12-2011, 09:42 PM

at 4 months post p, my body was pretty much blech. like, it wasnt pregnant anymore,but it wasnt MY body. you are still healing, so like the pp said, dont be too hard on yourself. it definitely wasnt until around 7 or 8 months that my stomach stopped looking stretchy, and that was with no exercise, only healthy eating and breastfeeding. 

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#4 of 9 Old 12-13-2011, 12:16 PM

four months is no time at all; your body is still recovering.  i know that it feels like forever, but it is really not!  think of how much your little one has changed in four months and how fast that has gone!

as far as what to do, nutrition is 80-90% of the equation.  seriously, clean eating and portion mindfulness.  the other part is resistance training and short burst cardio intervals.  i workout for 90 minutes a week, in my own home with dumbbells or body weight moves.   by doing this, i lost 14 lbs and 12 inches in 12 weeks (and i didn't put in as much effort as i could have).

wife to dh, mama to dd1   june 2007, dd2 march 2009 and dd3 april 2011
#5 of 9 Old 12-14-2011, 12:08 PM

I didn't commit to a regular exercise routine until my son (my first) was about 12 months old. Sure, I was running around all day, but not really applying myself to cardio/weight and so forth. Getting back into an exercise program helped a lot (probably my confidence more than my body, but I was able to shed a few inches here and there). And I don't even do *that* much -- about a 1/2 hour of a weight-lifting DVD, or 30 minutes pilates or a 30 minute jog.

What's helped me the most is trying to be more mindful of eating more protein. Choosing scrambled eggs, yogurt, fruit smoothies w/ pb over super-carby options has given me more energy and jump-started my toning up. I haven't lost too many lbs yet, but I'm able to fit into clothes a size smaller, so I consider that improvement :) I know it's possible, it's just slow-going :) (at least for me!)

Good luck and congratulations on your new little one!

#6 of 9 Old 12-14-2011, 12:29 PM

As others mentioned, be patient and gentle with yourself. Wear your baby a lot, and if you have the time, go for long walks with the baby on your back, as often as you can.

After my first, I just walked and walked, and didn't start any real workout routine until maybe 8 months or so postpartum, although it's kind of a blur. The walking took most of my extra weight off (which was 40 pounds, so that's quite extraordinary for just walking!) and at 11 months I felt ready to do P90X.

I got almost all the way through P90X before I got pregnant again (a total surprise baby) at 13 months postpartum. At that point I was in the best shape of my life, but my belly skin was still (and probably always will be) loose and wrinkly. It's hard to say though because even at more than a year postpartum, my body was still continually changing--who knows how it will end up in the end?

Now I'm 4 months postpartum with my second baby, and like you I'm about 10 pounds above my normal weight, and feeling kinda "blechh" about my flabby body. I think a lot of that is in our heads, and it goes with the territory. It's just so much change to go through in such a short time!

I know in my mind that with time I will feel normal again, so that helps. And you will too! Just stick with regular exercise--move your body every day, don't eat junk, drink water, nursing helps, and I promise you'll see yourself morph into a more normal-feeling shape if you give it time.
#7 of 9 Old 12-30-2011, 07:11 PM

I didn't start exercising until my DS was about 6.5m old.  Mainly because he then took longer naps that would allow me to exercise how I wanted.  I had the Jillian Michaels DVD 30 Day Shred before I had gotten pregnant and had started it then, but then had to stop because I got pregnant.  So I did that, and it was great because they are about a 25 minute workout and days when he cat-naps, I can still get in a full workout.  She kicks your behind, especially if you've been out of really working out like I had been.  I had lost about 3-4 inches in about 3.5 months.  I also used her Ripped in 30 DVD as well because, again, they are short, but kick your behind!  I plan on getting back into them after the first of the year when everyone goes back to work and I am not so tempted to eat all of the holiday yummies.  I gained 50 lbs when I was pregnant, and lost half of it after I gave birth.  I didn't lose much weight from them, but I went down about 2-3 pants sizes, which was enough of an encouragement for me. 

My DS was also eating baby food then, so for breakfast I would eat a hard boiled egg on a whole grain english muffin, while my DS ate oatmeal, and for lunch I would eat whole wheat crackers and cheese.  My DS loved the cheese so it worked out for the best.  We would also eat some yogurt together, or I would eat it before he woke up from his nap, right after I worked out.  For dinner I would eat what ever and still snack a little bit, but didn't eat any late night snacks.  After I ate dinner, and snacked that was it for the day.  I have to tell myself also that I cannot eat how I used to before I had gotten pregnant because my body has changed so much. 

Good luck and stay patient! 

#8 of 9 Old 12-30-2011, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Is it possible to tone up well? Around 4 months pp, I returned to my pre-pregnancy weight, but my tummy was still flabby. I didn't do any exercise. I'm past 6 months pp now, and I think I'm gaining weight again. I'm breastfeeding so I think I'm getting used to eating bigger portions. Getting worried about it...

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#9 of 9 Old 02-09-2012, 11:28 PM

wanted to bump this thread, even though it's a few months past now, to say that i lost the last bit of weight around 7 and 8 months post-partum, which was a total surprise as i thought that i'd lost all i was going to without doing anything. a nice surprise, that! ;)

as for toning, my arms are definitely more toned than they've ever been, just from picking up and carrying 20 lbs (i.e. my daughter) constantly, but my belly and lower body could still use some work. my goal is to start out slow, stretching a handful of minutes every day, and slowly over the course of a few months, turn that into yoga every day (sun salutations) with cardio and weights alternating 4 times a week. oh that's the goal all right - it sounds awesome, but super hard to imagine right now that i can swing it. anyhow, baby steps. first, stretching tomorrow for just 5 minutes. i can do that, right?

Tags
Stay At Home Parents

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page