Holistic mom considering Breast Augmentation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-22-2011, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am pregnant with baby #4 and we've decided our family will be completely.   I BF each child nearly 2 years and plan to do the same with this baby.  I am thin and have always had small breasts (like a full 34A), but after pregnancy and nursing 3 babies, I was left with nothing (flat as a pancake nothing) after weaning the last baby.

Though I live a holistic lifestyle (this will be my 3rd homebirth, all of them natural, I don't take conventional medications and have never had surgery outside of having wisdom teeth removed, I eat my placenta for goodness sake! : ), I have been reminded during this pregnancy that I do like having some breasts and can't imagine the next half of my life living with no breasts.

So, I am thinking about augmentation after weaning this baby and am wondering if anyone else has considered it or followed through on it and what your thoughts are. 

I am also very athletic and would not be getting a size that anyone would notice, if you know what I mean. 

Thanks in advance for your judgement-free comments!  : )

#2 of 13 Old 12-22-2011, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My concern would not be the augmentation or the surgery but the chemicals contained within the implants. Do lots of research & figure out if that is something you are comfortable with.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 13 Old 12-26-2011, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi,

I couldn't read your post and not comment. I have been in the same boat and after years of consideration and education about the surgery and products used I decided to go for it. I am beyond happy with the results, and really feel it was the best money I have ever spent. I can tell you from my own experience that in the "holistic" community many women I think consider it, maybe even want it but feel conflicted because of judgement. I defenitly experienced that among my holistic "friends". I did not share that I was doing this with many people and the ones I havent shared it with have no idea because the surgeon did a great job in keeping the work looking natural and in proportion to my body. So now I can wear a regular bra instead of a pushup bra, and no one is the wiser because in clothes I look the same size. I am the same size I was pre-babies and they feel amazingly natural. I just want you to know that you most certainly can be holistic and have an augmentation. I have a hard time with people who have a holistic or natural checklist that if you stray from the list in the slightest-BOOM-your not "holistic" I dont suffer from bad self esteem, I dont feel an augmentation is sending the message of the sexification of woman, blah blah blah, etc. (yes these are things I heard). I hope I don't come across as bitter~ I totally am not, but I certainly understand all sides of the decision your considering, and wish you the best of luck!

#4 of 13 Old 12-26-2011, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I know lots of women who have had it done after all the babies.  I don't think it's a bad choice.  Just not one I would choose for myself.  However here are some things to keep in mind.

The PS might get a little pushy with size.

You may get bigger than you wanted to.

Make sure you have lots of support after the surgery.

Good luck with your choice.  It is your body after all.

#5 of 13 Old 01-03-2012, 07:53 PM

Your OP is so much like my situation!  I am pregnant with baby #3 and seriously considering it after weaning since this will be my last as well.  And I am totally in the same boat, all natural, granola whatever you want to call it.  I just kind of feel like the procedure has come so far-transumbilical implants are pretty awesome, a friend of mine got them done before having kids to ensure that she could nurse fully and went with the saline implants in case of any leaks and loves them.  And I kind of feel like if you used them for what God intended them for and want to enjoy them as toys/ an asset, why not?

#6 of 13 Old 02-21-2012, 10:37 AM

No judgement here! 

I've always had big boobs, (ok a big everything!) and now I'm losing weight.. I'm down 130lbs from my pregnancy high weight and NOTHING on my body looks good.  My boobies are the most depressing part though.  I really think if/when the time comes I'll be classified as reconstructive surgery vs cosmetic.  It's so so sad.  :( 

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

#7 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 11:13 AM

I have the opposite problem as you, but I also consider myself to be a natural kind of person (homebirth, breastfeeding, cloth diapers, avoiding medical procedures/medications and all that good stuff).  THat being said, I look forward to my "amputation" as I like to call it!!  I was an 30H cup pre-pregnancy (and while otherwise quite skinny, size 2 pants), but nursing, I coming out of the 32M cups which was the largest nursing bra I could find with a small rib cage.

Point being, do what YOU can live with and do your research.  Also, don't let any medical types talk you up in size.  I enjoy being active and have had chronic back issues due to being so top heavy.  I plan on going down to a B or C cup (still nursing my 1 year old, so I have about 10 months to go until weaning).  As long as you and your husband are comfortable with your decision, no one else needs to know (and therefore, won't be judging you)

Good luck!!

Married to the love of my life partners.gif (career navy), and Mama to 2 amazing little ladies - K~ (03/2009)blahblah.gif and M~ (01/2011)biggrinbounce.gif always to wish I had gotten to know our little ones lost angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif   Reconfiguring my career track and working hard to keep my sanity through it all . . .

homebirth.jpgbfinfant.gifsaynovax.gifcd.gif  homeschool.gif 

#8 of 13 Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 AM

Hi Mama!  Isn't it a little difficult seeing what these babies do to our bodies?  Husband and I say that our daughter "Keith Moon"ed the hotel room.  blush.gif

I'm a mama that would be considered crunchy by mainstream standards and mainstream by crunchy standards.  I do what works for me.  And I can see some cosmetic surgery working for me when I'm done playing human incubator.  If it's your breasts that are bothering you, and you're going for a natural look, have you considered non-implant options?  Do your research (I haven't, yet), but I run in circles in which procedures aren't unheard of (just not discussed) and I've been made aware that having fat relocated is an option if you're not going for big, and you're willing to use a bra for perkification.  In other words, they take fat from one place and re-upholster the bubbies with it. 

Personally I will STRONGLY be considering lifting the bubbies when they're no longer needed;  mine are not small, and like many grandmas, headed south for the winter.  Why should I be so unhappy naked when I have the option to pay some nice doctor to staple them to my shoulders? 

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#9 of 13 Old 03-26-2012, 06:57 PM

I am considering the same thing.  I HATE my boobs (or lack there of) since weaning.  I am having a hard time reconciling myself to a surgery that is not absolutely needed since I've had two emergency c-sections.    I am intrigued by the idea of fat relocation though! Off to do some research...wonder how much fat they need?

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#10 of 13 Old 07-25-2014, 04:24 AM

Ladies can get breast inserts to make their bosoms greater and more full. That is possible for reconstructive purposes, for example, after mastectomy for breast tumor, or for nonessential reasons.
thanks
#11 of 13 Old 07-26-2014, 07:30 AM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicasmama View Post
<p>Hi,</p>
<p>I couldn't read your post and not comment. I have been in the same boat and after years of consideration and education about the surgery and products used I decided to go for it. I am beyond happy with the results, and really feel it was the best money I have ever spent. I can tell you from my own experience that in the "holistic" community many women I think consider it, maybe even want it but feel conflicted because of judgement. I defenitly experienced that among my holistic "friends". I did not share that I was doing this with many people and the ones I havent shared it with have no idea because the surgeon did a great job in keeping the work looking natural and in proportion to my body. So now I can wear a regular bra instead of a pushup bra, and no one is the wiser because in clothes I look the same size. I am the same size I was pre-babies and they feel amazingly natural. I just want you to know that you most certainly can be holistic and have an augmentation. I have a hard time with people who have a holistic or natural checklist that if you stray from the list in the slightest-BOOM-your not "holistic" I dont suffer from bad self esteem, I dont feel an augmentation is sending the message of the sexification of woman, blah blah blah, etc. (yes these are things I heard). I hope I don't come across as bitter~ I totally am not, but I certainly understand all sides of the decision your considering, and wish you the best of luck!</p>
I have larger breasts, so it clearly wouldn't be for me. However, I think that if a woman is doing it for herself (rather than to please someone else) then she should go for it. Take the time to research surgeons and their methods. I had a friend who had this done, she said that there were two primary types of inserts. She told me the pros/cons of each, but I don't remember. So, if I were you I would find out the differences so that you know. Also, when researching the doctor, ask if they have a reference list. Many plastic surgeons will have a list of patients that agreed to be contacted. Call a few people and find out how long ago they had it done, if they are still happy with it, and if you can meet them. I say to meet them because then you will be able to see how what the finished product looks like.

Good luck!

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#12 of 13 Old 07-26-2014, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
hi! i feel the same as you, as far as a natural lifestyle (insert all stereotypical 'natural' habits here), but i also feel like there are times if we're really depressed about a certain part of ourselves, if we can gain confidence from something, do it! research a lot, of course, like i'm sure you already have... but really, you gotta feel awesome about yourself sometimes. i have quite the opposite problem as you, however, i admit that i would kill for a tummy tuck one day. lol. its just so... hmm... ugly and gross there? lol. anyway, i am not educated on breast augmentation at all, but nowadays, i would not be surprised if there were better materials out there, things that weren't so harmful as they were in decades past. i say do whatever makes you feel great about yourself.
#13 of 13 Old 07-26-2014, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I've mostly dealt with this from a reconstruction perspective - augmentation is much simpler.

The issues I'd be looking out for are surgical skill, and implant maintenance. Implants don't last forever - they can need to be replaced every ten years or so. And I see some lousy augmentations out there and I think you should research to find the right surgeon.

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page