Forum Jump: 

#61 of 152 Old 01-12-2012, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Boudicca~ View Post

Hi everyone!

I'm struggling today.  Dh is sitting here chomping on Cadbury mini eggs and I had a few but I really, really feel like I can go to town on the whole bag...please let me have some self-control.

Chocolate is my weakness too. DH brought home brownies today, and I was super proud of myself for having only one after dinner. It's so easy to go overboard on stuff like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLamb View Post

Oooh, I'm so glad I found this thread- I was browsing in Health and Healing for a GFCF diet, and saw this.

I have roughly 20 lbs to lose. This summer, I did "Flat Belly Diet" and I did fairly well on it....I was making progress and then I got pregnant. I had a miscarriage around 9 weeks, at the end of October, and it's been difficult since then. So I'm going back on the flat belly diet now. I just ordered the book from amazon this morning (previously, I had been using books from the library), and I'm ready to go.

Luckily, I have a great public library that has a really good selection of exercise DVDs to borrow. I've been borrowing them, and trying to exercise 4-6 days per week for a half hour. I just did a really good one called "2 Week Turnaround Cardio" from Prevention. It was hard, but no complicated moves!  Looking forward to checking in with all of you periodically.

Welcome! I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I don't think I've heard of the flat belly diet before - what does it entail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivated Mama View Post

I finished week 5 of couch-to-5k this week. Exercise is good; eating, not so much. Nursing makesme really hungry and I'm just making bad choices. I know I want this so why can't I smarten up?

*hugs* It's tough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificbliss View Post

I am doing Couch to 5K too. Tomorrow I will finish week 6. I am finding running is making me hungry. DD is still nursing too but she's 20 months old now. I think I really need to force myself to eat even more veggies so I feel full. I have had this problem with running before where I don't lose weight. I won't quit though because i am getting more toned and feel good. I just need some more discipline with eating.

You know, I hear that advice a lot - eat more veggies to feel full - but I swear they don't make a dent in my hunger. Congrats on keeping up with the couch to 5k!

I'm down to 186.2 from 194, so I *should* reach my first goal of losing 10 lbs by the 22nd. I've been doing surprisingly good with my diet and I'm slowly adjusting to eating less.

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#62 of 152 Old 01-12-2012, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Kudos to all of you that are doing the couch to 5K...I tried that last year and, well, let's just say there are few things I hate more than running :)

#63 of 152 Old 01-13-2012, 12:37 AM

i am reading still have not started working out anxious about going to gym

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#64 of 152 Old 01-13-2012, 06:09 AM

Got on the scale this morning and found I have lost 5 pounds so far this month! WooHoo! Really happy about that. I wanted to lose 7-8 pounds this month at least and only 12 days into the month it is looking good!

#65 of 152 Old 01-13-2012, 06:42 PM

What are your favorite sites for tracking weight, food, activity, etc? (Other than SparkPeople and Fitocracy because I can't get either to work from my phone & only source of internet)

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#66 of 152 Old 01-13-2012, 07:18 PM

my sisters use foodpyramid.gov I haven't checked it out

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#67 of 152 Old 01-14-2012, 08:36 AM

I've been using myfitnesspal.com.  It's kind of like facebook for weightloss, but I don't really use it like that except for some weightloss support from friends that I actually know IRL but they live far away.  I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirliknew View Post

What are your favorite sites for tracking weight, food, activity, etc? (Other than SparkPeople and Fitocracy because I can't get either to work from my phone & only source of internet)

#68 of 152 Old 01-15-2012, 09:57 AM

One of the unexpected benefits of having no money for a couple weeks:
The knowledge that I cannot overeat because this food must last at least two weeks, maybe longer.
It's working. lol. I also haven't smoked in two days which is super-annoying but a good thing because by the time I can afford to smoke again, I probably won't want to.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#69 of 152 Old 01-15-2012, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirliknew View Post

One of the unexpected benefits of having no money for a couple weeks:
The knowledge that I cannot overeat because this food must last at least two weeks, maybe longer.
It's working. lol. I also haven't smoked in two days which is super-annoying but a good thing because by the time I can afford to smoke again, I probably won't want to.

That is awesome! (The not smoking in 2 days, *not* the having no money part) Take this opportunity to quit for good!

#70 of 152 Old 01-15-2012, 09:40 PM

can i jump in? im going to read through the thread, but i thought i would intro myself.

im 30, almost 31..i have 4 kids. all born at home and breastfed till they self weaned (my baby is 15 months old and still nursing strong) i have always struggled with weight issues. i think the root is being dosed up on steroids for a blood disease when i was 6. i have recently realized that i have serious and major food sensitivities, and possibly insulin resistance. i have struggled with blood suggar issues for a long time and have cut out sugar a few times with amazing results but always kind of lost it after a few months. i made a decission to cut sugar and grains from my diet a few weeks ago. so far i have done really well. i had a bit of spelt after 2 weeks and had a major reaction. then 2 days ago ate some rice. not so bad but it made me insanely hingry and crave sugar like i had not in weeks. i actually caved and ate some chocolate. anyways, im on the road to being a healthy weight and healthier person. my mind feels clearer, i have tons of energy and after just a few weeks my clothes are loose.

looking forward to posting here

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#71 of 152 Old 01-18-2012, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

So, I really need to kick my motivation up a notch.  I had a kinda crazy idea... Anyone wanna make a bit of a competition out of this?  Kind of "biggest loser" style?

Depending on how many people would be interested, we could maybe form teams and compete for best weight loss percentages each week over the course of "x" amount of weeks? 

No prizes, just glory and thinner waistlines!

What do you all think?  I think maybe the "team" thing might make me a bit more accountable...

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12***16**20***24*** 28***32***36***40
#72 of 152 Old 01-18-2012, 01:48 PM

Well I need to do something. I regained the six pounds I worked so hard to lose. My self esteem is getting really bad and it's starting to effect my relationship. Something needs to be done. I would love a healthy competition. Not sure how to make it fair though. I have a bad back which makes excersizing really hard.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#73 of 152 Old 01-18-2012, 04:57 PM

There is a wrap shirt at H&M that I really want. Maybe that can be my prize for hitting my first goal.

#74 of 152 Old 01-18-2012, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk8shake View Post

So, I really need to kick my motivation up a notch.  I had a kinda crazy idea... Anyone wanna make a bit of a competition out of this?  Kind of "biggest loser" style?

Depending on how many people would be interested, we could maybe form teams and compete for best weight loss percentages each week over the course of "x" amount of weeks? 

What do you all think?  I think maybe the "team" thing might make me a bit more accountable...

That sounds fun! I'd definitely be in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

Well I need to do something. I regained the six pounds I worked so hard to lose. My self esteem is getting really bad and it's starting to effect my relationship. Something needs to be done. I would love a healthy competition. Not sure how to make it fair though. I have a bad back which makes excersizing really hard.

I'm sorry you've had a setback. Can you think of anything in particular that got you off track? I know it's a huge disappointment to feel like all your hard work was for naught. Re: exercise -  I hurt my knee doing Jillian Michaels too soon after my third baby and I've had issues with it ever since, which makes exercising difficult, but I've found that I can do Leslie Sansone DVDs without pain... maybe you can find something similar that will let you work out despite your back problems?

I'm down 9.6 lbs so far. I have half a pound more to lose in order to meet my first goal of 10 lbs by 1/23 and I'm pretty confident I can do it. Last month I bought a cute shirt at Banana Republic that I loved but it was so tight it made me look like a sausage. I tried it on yesterday and it definitely fit better, which was tremendously encouraging! I figured out that if from this point on I lose 5 pounds a month, I will be at my goal weight in September. Losing 5 lbs a month sounds way more doable than "lose 40 lbs"!

#75 of 152 Old 01-19-2012, 05:55 AM

Okay, I have been lurking for about 4 days on here... count me in!!!  I really need some motivation and you guys are already giving it to me.  I can 't promise to be that good about posting but I have already joined myfitnesspal and given up coffee (into which I regularly dump 2 tsp sugar).  It really works seeing what I've eaten, how much fat is actually in butter (actually IS butter).  I need some help with the exercise bit but I'm in for the long haul, at 196 I could stand to lose 50lbs.  There, I've said it, I never say it and I'm saying it!  Well, I look forward to getting to know ya'll!  

Gotta go chase a 4 yr old, does that count?

#76 of 152 Old 01-19-2012, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Okay chickas.  I started a new thread for the "biggest loser" challenge.  I don't want to take over this thread!

If you are keen to be in it, you can find it here.  Link

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12***16**20***24*** 28***32***36***40
#77 of 152 Old 01-19-2012, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Okay, I've lost four pounds in two weeks. The daily exercise is getting a bit easier and I added hand weights today to make my arms pretty as we go along. My biggest challenge is still craving sweets. Its cold here and I just want something sweet. So, I been satisfying that urge with half a Luna bar in the afternoon and I just printed out some Hershey candies stuff so that I can have a few pieces for just 100 calories and stay under the 1500 calorie daily limit that is supposed to help me lose the weight. I've also been drinking more water.
#78 of 152 Old 01-20-2012, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk8shake View Post

Sounds like fun. I will head on over to the link you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

I am so sorry. I know how that feels. I am currently re-losing the 10 lbs I gained over the Thanksgiving-New Year's run. I do think it's all part of the process. It's not like it's as easy as saying ok, I lost 2 lbs this week so I'll lose 2 lbs/week and be at my goal weight by this date. There is a pattern and a history that led each of us here. It takes time to break those patterns and form new ones and it takes time for our bodies to adjust. It's a cliche but you don't fail at losing weight and getting healthy until you quit trying. Hang in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantesmama View Post

I'm down 9.6 lbs so far. I have half a pound more to lose in order to meet my first goal of 10 lbs by 1/23 and I'm pretty confident I can do it. Last month I bought a cute shirt at Banana Republic that I loved but it was so tight it made me look like a sausage. I tried it on yesterday and it definitely fit better, which was tremendously encouraging! I figured out that if from this point on I lose 5 pounds a month, I will be at my goal weight in September. Losing 5 lbs a month sounds way more doable than "lose 40 lbs"!

Awesome!  I like all these new clothes goals. I think I should give myself one too. I have noticed even my underwear getting a little loose :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

Okay, I've lost four pounds in two weeks. The daily exercise is getting a bit easier and I added hand weights today to make my arms pretty as we go along. My biggest challenge is still craving sweets. Its cold here and I just want something sweet. So, I been satisfying that urge with half a Luna bar in the afternoon and I just printed out some Hershey candies stuff so that I can have a few pieces for just 100 calories and stay under the 1500 calorie daily limit that is supposed to help me lose the weight. I've also been drinking more water.

I know it's not the best thing but I have been putting Truvia in an afternoon cup of tea and that has been helping.

AFM, I just finished week 7 of a couch to 5K program. I did 3 runs this week of walk 5 mins, run 25 mins, walk 5 mins. I am slow, my pace is about 12 mins 30 sec/mile so I have been covering about 2.8 miles. Next week runs are 28 mins and the last week is 30 mins. Somewhere in there I hope to get to the 5K mark and then I want to warm up, run 5K and cool down.

#79 of 152 Old 01-20-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilllowhead View Post

Okay, I have been lurking for about 4 days on here... count me in!!!  I really need some motivation and you guys are already giving it to me.  I can 't promise to be that good about posting but I have already joined myfitnesspal and given up coffee (into which I regularly dump 2 tsp sugar).  It really works seeing what I've eaten, how much fat is actually in butter (actually IS butter).  I need some help with the exercise bit but I'm in for the long haul, at 196 I could stand to lose 50lbs.  There, I've said it, I never say it and I'm saying it!  Well, I look forward to getting to know ya'll!  

Gotta go chase a 4 yr old, does that count?

Welcome! I gave up coffee too, due to the sugar and creamer I have to add. I agree, tracking your food is a big eye-opener!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

Congrats on your weight loss! What are you doing for exercise? As far as sweets, I treat myself to a Skinny Cow ice cream cup about once a week. They're surprisingly good for only 150 calories and it feels very indulgent to sit down and eat a whole container of ice cream, even if it is a small portion.

I've met my first goal of losing 10lbs! I weighed in at 183.8 lbs this morning. I've also made up my mind to start exercising regularly. I had a bit of a wake-up call yesterday when I had to climb three flights of stairs and I am ashamed to admit I was very out of breath when I reached the third floor. Up until a few years ago I was very active - I loved to walk everywhere and I was always up and doing stuff. Now with three small children, we stay in more and I drive waaaaay more than I walk. I'm toying with the idea of getting a treadmill.

#80 of 152 Old 01-20-2012, 03:11 PM

a lot of people give away treadmills for free on freecycle. I think they get tired of them taking up space and never using them. They are really expensive. It would be cool if you could get one for free.

Got my baby shower pictures from a lady at church yesterday. Aubrey Rose was a few weeks old. I was terrified that I look fatter now then in the photos. Nope, I look the same. She'll be one on monday.

#81 of 152 Old 01-21-2012, 07:42 AM

I've really got to get on track. pacificbliss - you're smart for keeping it to a slow pace. Having been a runner in the past, I was just so anxious to get back to the fast, feel-good, running pace and over-did it this past week. After running at a 6.8mph (8:49 min/mile) for week 6 day 1, I was rewarded with runner's knee. I ran again the next day 2 miles with a 3 min break in between and agitated it even more. Yesterday was awful, especially on stairs, but today it's starting to feel better. I plan to finish up week 6 tomorrow, just a day behind schedule, but I think I will be running at a 6mph pace. I think I need to invest in a new pair of running sneakers too.

I've been awful with food. Really awful. I don't even want to admit the things that I've been eating. So it goes without saying that I haven't lost any weight recently.

I'm part of a book club and we're getting ready to read "Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest to Discover If Her Life Makes Her Ass Look Big, or Why Pie Is Not the Answer" by Jen Lancaster. I hope that it's inspirational. I really want to lose 5 pounds a month and I can't keep on this path that I'm on currently. I also can't wait until it's nice outside and easier to get my four children outside. There's nothing easy about putting four children in snowsuits, especially when one is a newborn.

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#82 of 152 Old 01-21-2012, 04:41 PM

I have been eating constantly. Went to dollar tree and got a few pee sticks. Doctor told me to test as I am going in for a spinal procedure that is done with an x ray. I never did get my period back after I came off the mini pill a few weeks ago. I had my first PPAF about six months ago. I'm hoping it's negative because I'm still over 200lbs. Way too fat for me to start a pregnancy. This isn't my first scare since I've been this weight. I test often out of worry.

#83 of 152 Old 01-22-2012, 10:16 AM

Well, I have been off track for the lst couple of weeks as we were called out of town because my Grandma was dying.  It is so hard to eat well and exercise when on the road, so I didn't add that stress to an already stressful few weeks.  My grandma passed away and we are back home.  I am anxious to get back into a routine.

I am looking to use some sort of food tracker.  I have used Sparkpeople in the past and like it, except for one thing:  I make all of my food from scratch and I find the  food options to be mostly for pre- packaged food.  Is this typical of all of the old tracking sites?  For example, if I ate homemade chicken stew, the only options seem to be canned varieties.  I understand that it would be hard to know exactly what is in my stew, but there must be an average, or something... What do all of you do that both make a lot from scratch a track your food?  Do you take the time to calculate your dishes and imput them for future reference?  Or is there a website that s better suited to homemade food than Sparkpeople?  Suggestions/ advice welcome...Thanks!

#84 of 152 Old 01-22-2012, 10:46 AM

I've been lurking and would like to join.  My son just turned 10 months and the "it took 9 months to put on the weight" excuse is gone, and truthfully, I was carrying 10 lbs from my daughter's pregnancy and 10 lbs from a miscarried pregnancy, and I could probably have stood to lose 20 when we first started our family!  Even more demoralizing is that I weigh 10lbs more now than I did 3 months after my son was born.  Cry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three~Little~Birds View Post
I am looking to use some sort of food tracker.  I have used Sparkpeople in the past and like it, except for one thing:  I make all of my food from scratch and I find the  food options to be mostly for pre- packaged food.  Is this typical of all of the old tracking sites?  For example, if I ate homemade chicken stew, the only options seem to be canned varieties.  I understand that it would be hard to know exactly what is in my stew, but there must be an average, or something... What do all of you do that both make a lot from scratch a track your food?  Do you take the time to calculate your dishes and imput them for future reference?  Or is there a website that s better suited to homemade food than Sparkpeople?  Suggestions/ advice welcome...Thanks!

I use myfitnesspal.com (which is how I know that I weigh more now than I did in June!).  I have a similar issue in that we don't use any prepared foods.  I eat a lot of non-recipe foods (i.e. food on its own like spinach, cheese, eggs) so these are in the database.  I don't calculate calorie/fat content of things we do make, but other people do and submit this to the database.  In those cases I just use one of theirs as a ballpark and call it good.  The fact that we're a largely paleo household makes it easier too because I'm more interested in the carbs and fat than calories (although I'm generally under 2000 calories/day...this probably seems high but I'm still nursing).

I've been on the wagon since Wednesday and lost 7lbs.  I'm sure its mostly water, but WooHoo! anyway.

Here's to being healthier and back in pre-pregnancy clothes by the summer!

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#85 of 152 Old 01-22-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayfishgirl View Post

I use myfitnesspal.com (which is how I know that I weigh more now than I did in June!).  I have a similar issue in that we don't use any prepared foods.  I eat a lot of non-recipe foods (i.e. food on its own like spinach, cheese, eggs) so these are in the database.  I don't calculate calorie/fat content of things we do make, but other people do and submit this to the database.  In those cases I just use one of theirs as a ballpark and call it good.  The fact that we're a largely paleo household makes it easier too because I'm more interested in the carbs and fat than calories (although I'm generally under 2000 calories/day...this probably seems high but I'm still nursing).

thanks for the rec. on this food tracker.  I checked it out and really prefer it to Spakpeople.  I downloaded the app. for it too.  It is just what I was looking for :)

congrats on the 7 lbs, too!  I am sure that it isn't all water ;). But even f it is...who cares!

#86 of 152 Old 01-23-2012, 04:10 AM

Well, whoever it was on here who turned us onto Myfitnesspal is a genius, for the very reasons crayfish and three little birds stated:  I too make all our food from scratch.  I don't really mind accepting others' nutritional information as I am hoping our minimal recipes are on the lean side, even if they're notwinky.gif

This is the first time I have tracked my eating so thoroughly and I love it.  Please laugh at me as I think it is very me but I felt great today weighing myself as the scales told me I've lost about 20 lbs since the beginning of the month.  I think I am a joker of a mathematician and must have weighed myself wrong the first time.  I live in the UK but come from canada so lbs is the only thing that means anything to me but my scales are in stones!  So I think I confused 13 with 14,,, even if I did I must be down at least 5 lbs or so.  

I'm wondering though how much your weigh fluctuates around menstruation? A pound?  10 pounds?  How much credit do I get to take and how much is hormones?  

#87 of 152 Old 01-23-2012, 09:46 AM

I use myfitnesspal as well. I reflected a lot last night and decided to get serious today. No more junk and I am going to do this! 55 pounds to lose - here I come! I start week 7 c25k today and after the completion of week 9, I plan to do One Hour Runner (OHR) - a 10 week plan to get you from running 30 minutes to running one hour. There's a 6 week program out there - Bridge to 10K, but I think it is too aggressive and I'd like to stay away intervals now that I'm through that part of my current program.

#88 of 152 Old 01-23-2012, 09:48 AM

for those who use myfitnesspal, what's your screen name? Mine's Motivated_Mama smile.gif

#89 of 152 Old 01-24-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three~Little~Birds View Post

thanks for the rec. on this food tracker.  I checked it out and really prefer it to Spakpeople.  I downloaded the app. for it too.  It is just what I was looking for :)

congrats on the 7 lbs, too!  I am sure that it isn't all water ;). But even f it is...who cares!

Agreed!  7lbs lighter is 7 pounds....I'll take it!  I just wish I wasn't so silly about weighing....I make sure I shave my legs on days that I weigh myself because I "feel" lighter.  I bet skinny people aren't this pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivated Mama View Post

for those who use myfitnesspal, what's your screen name? Mine's Motivated_Mama smile.gif

I'm crayfishgirl.  Original, I know.  :)

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#90 of 152 Old 01-24-2012, 07:26 PM

Two days in and on-track. I'm staying within my calorie range and getting in my exercise. I'm going to have to play around with what I allow myself for nursing though. Everything I read says 200-500 calories, but that's a big difference. 500 calories a day equals a pound a week. I'm allowing myself an extra 250 calories at this point and if I don't lose weight steadily or if my milk supply suffers then I'll up it to 500. I'm shooting for 1.5 pounds per week.

Tags
Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page