Losing weight in 2012 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 152 Old 12-30-2011, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is anyone planning on losing weight and getting healthier in the new year? I know it's a popular resolution, and I was hoping to perhaps find some support here. I have about 50 lbs to lose and I need accountability.

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#2 of 152 Old 12-30-2011, 04:42 PM

yes, please!  I was just asking around amongst acquaintances re: an accountability group...  I find it really helps to have someone to cheer you on, to ask after you when you haven't posted in a while, and to give you a kick in the pants when you need it. 

I have about 50+ lbs to lose as well.  I started a month ago on a MRS system, and have lost about 9 lbs so far...I'm thinking most of it is water weight, but, hey, I'll take it. 

I really need to get on the exercise bandwagon - and be consistent!!  :)

Do you have a specific plan in mind for eating and/or exercise?

Thanks, Alexandra!  Looking forward!!

marybeth

#3 of 152 Old 12-30-2011, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, Marybeth! Thanks for joining in! Yes, accountability is so important - otherwise it's too easy to give yourself excuses. Congrats on the 9 lb loss! What is a MRS system?

I'm not following any specific diet plan; I'm just planning on cutting back on portion sizes and making healthier choices. I have a major sweet tooth and I tend to snack mindlessly. I don't really have a fitness plan in mind, either. I'll probably try to squeeze in a walk or a workout when I can, but for now I just really need to focus on getting my eating in check. What do you do as far as exercise?

I'm 5'8" and I weighed in today at 194 lbs. My ultimate goal is 145 lbs. My first "mini-goal" is to shed 10 lbs by January 23. I plan on giving myself some sort of small reward for attaining that goal on time - I haven't decided what though.

#4 of 152 Old 12-31-2011, 12:27 AM

I'll join! I have been posting in the postpartum weightloss thread but DD is turning 1 on January 23rd and I am still 25 lbs heavier than I was when I got pregnant.

I need to be more focused and accountable. Wish I had an exercise buddy IRL. I think I too need to get my eating under control.

I don't have a full kitchen so we eat a lot of takeout and ready made things. I can do really well in watching what I eat until about 2pm and then it's out the window! I am just constantly snacking all afternoon/ evening.

I think maybe I should make food boring. That has worked for me in the past. Eating the same thing everyday for a while.

I think my first mini goal will be getting under 200lbs. I think I am about 5lbs away from that. I will have to weigh myself in the morning to make sure.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#5 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 03:02 AM

I'd like to join!

I'd like to lose about 60lb. I tried to do it on my own and after the initial success I,d slide off the wagon and back to my starting weight greensad.gif. I NEED the accountability!!!

I am going to walk 15 miles a week, swim once a week and lift weights once a week to start. I will also cut out all the sugar in the first month and after that I think I will lean towards lower carbs in general (it worked for me before...)

That is my plan at the moment.

Thank you for starting the thread joy.gif

#6 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 04:25 AM

I'd love to join in! I just weighed myself this morning, and managed to put on 5 pounds over the past few months. I'm 5'4" and weigh 169. My ultimate goal would be 135.

I'm insulin resistant, so I'm thinking of doing a low-carb type of thing. Nothing really drastic, just avoiding breads/sugars/etc. and upping my protein.

As for exercise, I'm not sure. I always start out doing so well and then peter out really quickly, despite having success. I think I try to do too much and it's too much to keep up with. So my plan is to focus on my eating and something low key for exercise. Walking or my elliptical machine that is collecting dust in the basement.

Jen - 29, part-time LDRP RN and Birth Consultant. DH - 33. Married since 2006. brokenheart.gif 3/09. DD 2010.  Expecting a surprise new one in May 2014!

#7 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 08:07 AM

I need to lose at least 30lbs.... I gained 40 due to being on an antidepressant weight gainer- changed my whole body.

I am joining a gym and going to try to be more conscience of what  eat.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#8 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 06:49 PM

So this is day two of quitting diet coke! I didn't realize how addicted I had become to it! I am doing ok with it. I was feeling the need so I stopped at the store and got a vitamin water. 

I stepped on the scale yesterday it was 209 and today it said 207 so I am about 8 pounds away from my first goal of being under 200 pounds! 

As for exercise, I have a really hard time do to an ongoing back issue. I am going to try to walk, see how it goes.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#9 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 07:12 PM

ROCK ON TREKKINGIRL!!!!  I have not weighed yet... I usually gain 2 lbs a week- hoping to maintain this week. ROCK ON!

#10 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 07:15 PM

Emelie that was your 1000th post!

#11 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 07:25 PM

I almost followed it with a post to say that lol!  I used to be just Emilie so I actually have like 10,000 posts lol... oldie but ... lol. He he he

glad to post my 1000 to you and your weight loss!!!!

#12 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 10:48 PM

I would like to join in.  I need to lose about 40 lbs.  I have been trying on and off since my son was born in 2010 and I have never stuck with anything longer than 2 months or so.  I had success with weight watchers before so I am thinking about going with that again.  I still have all my materials so I wouldn't HAVE to sign up again.  Although I may just for the support and accountability.  I meant to start today but I haven't done so well.  Aiming to start fresh tomorrow.  Weekdays are much easier for me to stick to my plan.  Hope we can support each other through this.  :)

Angela married to the love of my life Mommy to Summer Hailey and Evan
#13 of 152 Old 01-02-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats, trekkingirl! I typed out a long reply to each individual new poster last night but the internet ate it. So welcome, everyone! smile.gif
I've been doing pretty well. I'm down three pounds and I haven't had too many junk food cravings. I picked up a green tea supplement while grocery shopping yesterday and I was curious whether anyone here has tried those before. I know there was a Harvard study not long ago that showed weight loss benefits with green tea, but I can't drink the stuff.

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk

#14 of 152 Old 01-02-2012, 01:51 PM

still no diet coke here! I like that this thread seems to be pretty active. Hope it keeps the momentum.

#15 of 152 Old 01-02-2012, 01:58 PM

Awesome on the diet coke. I was drinking 3 large soda fountain drinks over the summer- not diet and I know I put a lot of weight on then.  I don't have soda most days now- maybe one day a week. It was quite and acheivement for me. I was totally addicted.

#16 of 152 Old 01-02-2012, 02:54 PM

So today my DH is at work and my afternoon eating habit is on the top of my mind. Right about now I get starving and start snacking, and snacking till dinner. Then I might snack again a few hours after dinner which ends up being right before bed. I just caught my self eating the crust of my 4yo's peanut butter and jelly sandwich! I think I may call my friend and see if she wants to go for a walk.

#17 of 152 Old 01-02-2012, 05:32 PM

well I couldn't get a hold of my friend so I took the kids and walked to whole foods. When I got there I treated myself to a coconut water! I'm doing pretty good. I hope I have more weight loss to report tomorrow. Does anybody know if there is a cleanse that is approved to take while nursing?

#18 of 152 Old 01-02-2012, 08:55 PM

Wow! Look at this great group we're going to have! 

I'm so looking forward to all of your words of wisdom...

Alexandra, my MRS plan is a "meal replacement shake" plan - I won't mention the brand, since I'm not sure if that's frowned upon or not - but if someone's curious, you can pm me, of course.  I have two shakes (with added fruit or vegies and some sort of milk (almond, rice, coconut)) per day, replacing two meals.  I've been surprisingly satisfied with them...I get to choose what meal I want to have during the day.  Sooo, if I know I'm making something particularly yummy for the family that night, I'll have a shake for breakfast, one for lunch, and then eat a regular meal for dinner.  My favorite shake flavor so far is pina colada (frozen pineapple, coconut milk & shake powder), but strangely enough, I'm really enjoying my creation of dried plums (ok, ok, prunes!), almond butter & almond milk with the shake powder - it's a really delicate flavor, and soo yummy.

I'm recovering from houseguests two weekends in a row, so I feel like I need to get re-motivated, and really get on the exercise track.  I think I'm going to try to do the 1000 minute per month thing & see how I do.  Have any of you done that, too?

Anyway, I need to go be brain dead for a bit, now that all the guests are gone.  :)

Have a good night, all.

marybeth

#19 of 152 Old 01-02-2012, 09:02 PM

can i join?

trekkingirl, eating my kids leftovers has been my downfall ..so bad!

i just started a no sugar, no grain diet..very low carb type thing.. trying to figure out what my food sensitivities are..i will do it for 2 weeks then reintroduce things slowly to see what i can handle. i think im very carb sensitive, and i know i have food allergies that make me crave sugar and carbs like crazy...so this will tell me to what extent. after that 4 weeks is up, i plan to just really modify..only eat grains like quinoa and millet and NO wheat, NO sugar (honey & maple syrup ok) and NO potatoes... i have done this in the past with success, but have never stuck to it very long. this time im very determined!

i ate really well today and went for a long walk in the winter sunshine. one step at a time!

oh and i would like to lose 50lbs..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#20 of 152 Old 01-02-2012, 10:49 PM

Hi eVeryone!

i'd like to join, too, if that's ok!

i would also like to lose 50 lbs (yikes!). I'll weigh myself in the AM to get my exact starting weight, but I think that it is around 205-210.

my husband travels a lot and I am a SAHM with a 3 yo, ( any 2 older school goers) so I am not going to put crazy pressure on myself to go to the gym or run everyday, as that is impossible when my DH is away (3/4 of the time he's away).  I have failed in the past this way before...

what I am going to do is focus on my intake!  I haven't done this in years!   I am going to try to do a 'no white' diet.  No refined sugar, white flour, grains or potatoes.  I will also aim to do some sort of exercise everyday, either walk, run, go to the gym, or yoga, even if it's 20 minutes of yoga after the kids go to bed.

it seems like a great group here - good luck to everyone!

#21 of 152 Old 01-03-2012, 12:51 AM

Hi everyone! I'd like to join as well. I have about 20 lbs to lose..really weight kept on since 2008 after my sons birth. Ive been doing pretty good about diet lately following a primal diet (w/dairy). I think my thyoid is a bit out of whack after 2 pregnancies and grad school so I am combatting low energy...I also get migraines.hence my attempt at a simple clean diet. And I'm so inconsistent about exercise! Hoping to do something with regularity.

DD 12/10/04 homebirth.jpg & DS 7/25/08 h20homebirth.gif

#22 of 152 Old 01-03-2012, 02:42 AM

Hi again!

Great to see so many posts!

I finally managed to weigh myself - 205lb yikes2.gif.

So far eating wise I wasn't great - lots of guests and cake everywhere so I did have a couple of pieces. I also managed to clock up 6 miles walking over Mon and Tue so pretty much on target there. I will weigh myself every Monday.

love to all 

Ania

#23 of 152 Old 01-03-2012, 10:18 AM

Hi again!!  Sounds like everyone is doing well and making progress.  Great job everyone!

I see I'm not the only one that doesn't know how much they weigh.  I don't even want to know!  LOL.  I need to get a new scale.  My old scale died. 

I am not doing well.  Today I hope to do better now that the holidays are over and my husband is back to work.  I dug out my weight watchers stuff so I am tracking today.  So even if it is a bad day, at least I will be accountable for it.  I am happy to get started.  :)

Angela married to the love of my life Mommy to Summer Hailey and Evan
#24 of 152 Old 01-03-2012, 10:42 AM

Back in to let you know that I went swimming with kids today and managed to do my exercise bit! - no luxury of clocking the lengths for hours so I went for "all out the shark is after me" sprints 4 lengths with 1 min recovery in-between (ok it was more like a jellyfish speed) - got me exhausted in about 5min and spent rest of the time catching my breath in the kiddies pool :)

TTFN

Ania

#25 of 152 Old 01-03-2012, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reluctantly joining this thread. I've got comfortable and weigh about 30 lbs more than I should. The oldest is graduating high school in June and I'd really like to have a little weight off for all the family pictures. I've tried hard not to be vain or weight phobic while raising a daughter but I'm wanting to reach my fifties with a little less on my frame.

I started the new year with a four mile hike. I did active house cleaning yesterday.. the kind that makes all your muscles ache. Today, I've started with a great smoothie and I'll do some basic step on the Wii.

I wish everyone luck!
#26 of 152 Old 01-03-2012, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Okay, did my 35 minutes of basic step and arm movements on the wii. I had two scrambled eggs for lunch. With any luck, the protein will keep me from snacking till dinner.

#27 of 152 Old 01-03-2012, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Joining up too. 

I have let my weight get a little out of hand.  I'd like to lose about 40lbs (I had to google that, because we talk in kilos here!  It sounds a lot more in pounds! redface.gif)

I plan on eating well, snacking less, and exercising consistently, even though I loathe most exercise!

My main problem at the moment is that we have so much junk/snack food/etc left over from the holidays.  I keep snacking.  It's in the house, but I can never bring myself to chuck out perfectly good food.  I can't even palm it off on the neighbours or anything!

Me & him partners.gif and our beautiful fur boys Dukedog2.gif and Chopz dog2.gif

Forever missing our little ones lost

angel1.gif angel1.gif angel3.gif angel3.gif angel3.gif angel2.gif angel1.gif

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

#28 of 152 Old 01-03-2012, 04:28 PM

Has anyone used an online food tracking site?  I just joined 'my fitness pal' today - it looks pretty good.  Has a ton of foods already in their system, so you don't have to manually add calories, etc.  I haven't explored the site at all yet, I only put in my food for the day.  Just thought I'd share...

thumb.gif we can do this!

#29 of 152 Old 01-03-2012, 05:03 PM

I messed up today and had 3 sodas,,, I was cleaning house for a lady and she kept offering them to me. I only meant to have one.

Alas... Oh and I weight 158. I used to weigh 108 before this recent- last 6 months weight gain.  I would like to weigh in between 125 and 130. That is my goal.

#30 of 152 Old 01-03-2012, 06:17 PM

• I'll jump in, too! I am searching for the motivation to lose weight. The past 2 years have been HELL for me. I was down the 160 the day I birthed my ds2, which was 16 pounds less than pre-pg weight. I now weigh 196, and I'm still nursing. I don't eat all day, and I do eat healthy, most of the time ;) I just don't have a steady exercise regimen yet. I want to get down to around 120, which is where I am supposed to be for my body frame. I'm tired of being a fatty!

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

Tags
Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page