Dingos Jogging Into January 2012! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 496 Old 01-23-2012, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
shanti, my heart goes out to you and your friends.

Mel, ban walking? WTF? Maybe the world does end in 2012.

gaye, you get so much done in a day!!

bec, enjoy this trip. your dh is going to have to wear his long pants (a bit like big girl panties but not nearly as cute) and take care of himself (now that you have made it easier for him).

sparkle, there are many dingos who can sing your song of woe with you. I do not at all like to hear that anything is age related or not going to get better.

JG, I wonder what is up with the boys family? The girls mom is not in a healthy spot where she can take care of others; you only have so many options there. But the boys siblings?
You need to establish your boundaries before you are running their own private summer camp.

geo, I hope you are better soon. February is often the winteriest month. Do you need boots for walking to work? This may cost more than the parking pass.

RR: dh says he will run in the am and lower the list price on the house. I'm going to start saving pennies for a lottery ticket. lol.gif

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#362 of 496 Old 01-23-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

First day of classes. Makes me want to cry though.

Is it bad if it's the second week of classes here and I'm already feeling done? whistling.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post

"We may make it a rule that no student is allowed to walk to school."

How can they even afford to make a rule like that? I'm pretty sure a rule like that would mean the district would have to provide transportation to everyone, seeing as they can hardly mandate that parents drive their children. There's no way that would hold up in a court of law, and I can't imagine a district that has spare money sitting around to bus everyone, much less at the high school level!

Of course, I can't really imagine a school district that actually has money right now. DH went to a budget meeting for Jeffco tonight and best-case scenario is $20 million in cuts (worst case is $70 million). Among other things, they're considering raising the fee for kids to take the bus (currently it is $150/year/kid) *and* increasing the walking distance before kids qualify for a bus. I can't imagine a school going in the opposite direction, but what do I know? And hey, I come from the state that just ranked #1 in cuts to higher ed funding. See for example, a 48% cut in funding to our research institutions (mostly the U of C system) between 2002 in 2010. Go Colorado! eyesroll.gif

bec--woot on the 7 lbs!

JenLove--hope you get more rest tonight.

Shanti--oh my. Hoping the rest of the week is a huge improvement over that.

JayGee--sorry about the friend issues. The one mom sound depressed, which is sad all around. No idea about the other though. Good luck.

sparkle--congrats on some FM and it would be fun to meet up in the Springs.

tjsmama--yay for a great day of skiing!

mommajb--good news in your corner. Hope it continues--especially the lottery part. wink1.gif

No FM for me today. I did, however, finish my twinnings stole. It's soaking right now and I'm going to block it tonight. Oh, and R had her physical today. The dr agreed with me that all her nighttime coughing is asthma-related, and gave us some inhaler samples. She's been sleeping peacefully so far, so I hope our very low dose will do the trick. Also, I really hope we can wean her off of it in summer, because she only has the nighttime cough in winter (thus far).

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#363 of 496 Old 01-24-2012, 08:30 AM

RR ~ hour of cardio circuit class followed by 30 minutes of yoga.  Ahhhhhh.....

Now off to school to teach an art lesson to kindergarteners smile.gif.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#364 of 496 Old 01-24-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post

Among other things, they're considering raising the fee for kids to take the bus (currently it is $150/year/kid) *and* increasing the walking distance before kids qualify for a bus. I can't imagine a school going in the opposite direction, but what do I know? .

Wow, that's so different than here!

I checked our district's transportation policy (thanks for that tip, too, Geo!), and there are pages upon pages for bus-related transportation, a half a page for personal car transportation and nothing (zero, zilch, nichts, nada!) on pedestrian/bike transportation. SAD!

Seriously, here is one area where I wish that they would charge for bus service. But I can't imagine how people would holler about that. Oh well, we have to do something to retain our spot as the 48th in the nation. irked.gif

Gaye, you made that skiing sound so wonderful!

Feeling a little bit sluggish today, and my window for getting a swim in is closing rapidly. Succumb to the torpor or grit my teeth and get over to the pool before it is too late?

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#365 of 496 Old 01-24-2012, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post

I checked our district's transportation policy (thanks for that tip, too, Geo!), and there are pages upon pages for bus-related transportation, a half a page for personal car transportation and nothing (zero, zilch, nichts, nada!) on pedestrian/bike transportation. SAD!

OK, but you now know what distance from school gets busing, and I presume that's more than the mile your DD is walking.  Generally the distances are set at something like 2 miles, implying that living closer means that you can get there -- how?  That then makes it very difficult to say that the child lives too close for motorized transportation, but at the same time, cannot walk -- the the only other viable option is ... motorized transportation.

mammajb, I certainly need better shoes for walking to work.  That will help the foot for sure.  It's frustrating that I can run now, but I can't walk distances comfortably.  It doesn't get to the level of before, and I'm not even tempted by ice or the super-mega-anti-inflammatory, but it's ...there.  Anyways, DD's many, many appointments this month were going to be having me drive to campus enough days ($10/day) to make the permit worth it.  I suspect February will be the same, after which I can ditch the thing. 

#366 of 496 Old 01-24-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

OK, but you now know what distance from school gets busing, and I presume that's more than the mile your DD is walking.  Generally the distances are set at something like 2 miles, implying that living closer means that you can get there -- how?  That then makes it very difficult to say that the child lives too close for motorized transportation, but at the same time, cannot walk -- the the only other viable option is ... motorized transportation.

use map my run to delineate the distance she has to walk. is that more than the distance the district has?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#367 of 496 Old 01-24-2012, 12:01 PM

Fly-by to report weight circuit. Oh lordy but I am weak and feeble. It's not as fun to do weights when one is weak and sore, hmmm. My inner thigh on the groin-pulled leg was super weak and sore, and that right knee/ITB pain was pretty insistent. But now, I have no aches or pains, so that's good. Onward and upward...

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#368 of 496 Old 01-24-2012, 12:48 PM

Whoohoo!! Got it! It's in the SC Code as follows:

"No school bus shall stop for the purpose of picking up or discharging any non-handicapped school child living within one and one-half miles of the school, unless under the application provisions of Section 59-67-420 the child qualifies for transportation under one of the following conditions:"

And then follows a list of conditions, one of which *may* apply, but only if the district has a rule (which I have yet to find).

I am feeling somewhat vindicated, or if not that, than at least well-armed with something that will make this seem more important than they have currently been treating it. There are a lot of students in our neighborhood, and a new neighborhood being built, all certainly within the 1.5 mile limit.

Kerc: mapmyrun says 1.15 miles. carrot.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#369 of 496 Old 01-24-2012, 09:14 PM

Drive-by

Mel - Yeah!  Go you!

Casting play - check

Weights and boxing done - check

bedtime - check

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#370 of 496 Old 01-25-2012, 05:29 AM
bec

The boxing sounds really fun, Plady!  And congrats on getting the play cast!

Mel - Go get them!!!! 

Sparkle - The great thing about weights, though, is that you get to see pretty rapid improvement.  You will be strong and fit in no time!

NRR: My little one is feeling better, but she is staying home again just to make sure.  She still has a pretty gnarly cough.  I'm very much hoping that I don't get her illness!  Or, that it waits till next week at least. 

I'm so excited to be flying somewhere warm and sunny!  It's hard to express how much I need this break!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#371 of 496 Old 01-25-2012, 06:08 AM

Bec, the trip sounds fantastic, and just what the doctor ordered. Do you fly Thursday or Friday? And how many days will you stay? Soak up those rays and enjoy your HM! Can I also just say that I find it really nice of you to be supporting your DH in the Atkins thing. That's a lot of prep work for you, especially with an upcoming trip. Tell him -  from me - that his wife rocks.

I am also doing the run walk, but I am trying to do 3 minutes running to 1 minute walking. It is very choppy, but I have been surprised at how little it affects my overall time on a longer run. Hey, if it helps avoid injury...

Plady, it looks like MDC needs a boxing smiley now! Go you!!

Sparkle, do you do free weights or kettlebell or ....?

JenLove, how is your kettlebell challenge going?

I ran about 2.5 this morning and then have the bridge run clinic with DH tonight. We will be running a bunch of short repeats on the steep part of the bridge. uhoh3.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#372 of 496 Old 01-25-2012, 06:15 AM

Last evening, I got my kettlebell workout in.  I was huffing and puffing and grunting to lift my bell.  I am sore, but this is so good!  I'm so proud of myself. :)  

bec - when do you fly out?

Plady - You rock!

JayGee - How did the lesson go?

Real - Sleep has been weird here lately and not because of my nursling.  Val is in the rebellion stage of naps and I just won't take 2 hours out of my day to lay with her to put her to sleep, so she goes to bed real early and wakes up even earlier.  Ugh!  She must be on the verge of something big too because she's not sleeping, ornery, rebellious, on the verge of mean..... oh wait, she's on the verge of THREE.

I'm having a really hard time parenting her and staying in the peaceful and compassionate side of things.  Any Dingo advice would be gladly accepted.... 

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#373 of 496 Old 01-25-2012, 06:28 AM

Jenlove - When my DD1 was 2, a man in the grocery line asked how old she was. When I told him, he said "have you heard the one: They told me about the terrible twos, but no one warned me about the fu**ing threes"? Um yeah, we remember that one every time one of ours has been in the threes hug.gif My just turned 4yo started being more snotty in the past few months, maybe the best example being her use of the word duh, as in Me: "do you want more oats?", Her" "I already said yes, Duh" jaw2.gifdisappointed.gif

Mel38 - I do free weights that include all types of stuff, kettle bells, bands, weighted balls (called medicine balls shrug.gif) I need to update my routine, because Ive been doing the same stuff for a long time, but it all falls in similar genres, so.... Your running inspires me.

Gotta finish getting the kids ready for school..

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#374 of 496 Old 01-25-2012, 06:38 AM

JenLove ~ oh yes, three..... eyesroll.gif  The lesson was good.  It turns out I was the helper, not the teacher yesterday, so it just involved keeping kindergarteners from getting too paint-y.

bec ~ have an awesome, wonderful, relaxing, warm time in Arizona!  Oh yeah, and a good half-marathon too!

Mel38 ~ enjoy your repeats tonight mischievous.gif.  DH and I have actually put Charleston on our list of places we'd consider.  But with you talking about the walking to school thing, I'm not so sure!

Plady ~ how many kids came to try out?  Congrats on a casted play and a boxing workout.

sparkle ~ yay for weights!  My leg is like that too ~ it always feels better after a workout.

RR ~ Pilates this morning, and maybe a little walking and/or running afterwards.

NRR ~ this morning my kids were playing, "Mama, what would we be doing today if we were homeschooled?" at breakfast.  Not-so-subtle hints from DS who is currently hating school.  He's so irritated by the fact that every single test has a "word bank" so you don't really need to "know" the right answer, just recognize it.  It pisses him off because he's memorized all the state capitals and then doesn't really need to know them to get 100%.  Yeah, he's a little nerdy, but I understand his point.  I need to wrap my brain around what my reality would look like if I were to homeschool him next year though.  I'm not quite there yet mentally (although he is...)

#375 of 496 Old 01-25-2012, 07:23 AM

JayGee,  Interesting about your kids' comments.  DD is currently hating school, but she's responding by counting down the days left in the school year and counting the number of math problems remaining in her book.  She made similar comments about the word banks.  Homeschooling isn't an option for us, and her personality doesn't lend itself to parental homeschooling, but ohhh, I can see the draw. 

Ran last night -- RP is trying to get me to sign up for a series of 3 races March and April.  We'll see.  This means hills.

#376 of 496 Old 01-25-2012, 09:04 AM

Geo ~ yep, the draw is there.  I have the time.  I have the ability.  Do I have the patience and organization?  That remains to be seen.  DS would be the perfect homeschool student though.  DD1, not so much....

RR ~  very, very tough Pilates class plus 30 minutes on the TM (run/walk).  Now making kale and eggs eat.gif.

#377 of 496 Old 01-25-2012, 10:39 AM

JayGee, the homeschooling possiblity sounds like a draw, especially with your DS so keen. I'm going to the information session for the fine arts "e-cadamy" for my daughter on Thursday, which is a blended program with three days on site, and two at home.

Mel, way to go with walking/bussing research. I'm jaw.gif that they might ban walking. We're so lucky to have a "walking school bus" in our village, since most kids live withing walking distance. They have parent leaders, and kids can be dropped off at designated stops along the way.

JenLove, I hope you get some more sleep soon. My kids both often have really, really challenging behaviour right around birthdays and big developmental leaps that happen right after the challenging times. The best way to deal with a nearly-three year old that I have is to take them outside and run off as much energy as possible. Every single morning. I know that it's not always possible with the weather, and especially given the struggle to get an unhappy three year old into appropriate clothing, but it makes a world of difference. In the hard weeks I shelve absolutely everything that I can: eat easy foods, let the house be messy and spend as much time as possible filling the kids up with love and fun. (I'm also better at giving this advice than taking it: see exhibit A- last week)

bec, have a terrific trip!

mommajb, fingers crossed for a house sale

Plady, hooray for casting and boxing.

RR- Leaving my office to run now. I missed bootcamp last night because it was group lesson week for my oldest's fiddle lesson. I did have a ridiculous bike ride yesterday on my oldest daughter's bike- she was at a friends house so the youngest and I rode bikes over to pick her up and I ran/walked home with them on bikes. It's a good quad workout to ride a 6 year old's bike. (My six year old will probably be taller than me in a couple of years. She's *one* shoe size away already and we share socks).

I've been researching minimalist shoes ever since the conversations here. I loved to hear about the narrow shoes, since I run in AAs from New Balance, but they only have B and D widths in their minimalist shoes. I'm still thinking, but might try it out this summer.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#378 of 496 Old 01-25-2012, 12:01 PM
bec

I have a 5pm flight, so leave in about 20 minutes!!!! 

We're not doing Atkins, although phase 1 is very similar.  But, it is only for 2 weeks, and is thought of as more of a detoxing kind of portion.  The upside, is that a lot of water weight is shed, so it makes a perfect kickoff to the plan.  We are doing South Beach, which really focuses on lots of fresh veggies, whole grains, healthy fats and lean proteins.  It's really a long term, sustainable way of eating.  Very similar to the Eat Clean diet that Lisa loves. 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#379 of 496 Old 01-25-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Urgh back for more personals later...have a great time Bec!

Struggled on what should have been an easy 5 today with a very tight and painful right quad, which still seems not to have recovered from the fall I took a week and a half ago. It was windy, I had to go to the bathroom, felt sluggish....blah blah. Not my day. Oh well.

Off to get the kids, more later.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#380 of 496 Old 01-25-2012, 04:59 PM

OMG

On the way to get the kids, I was driving down a busy street. A car on my left turned left across the oncoming lanes and was hit HARD, so hard that the truck/SUV that hit it flew up in the air and landed on its passenger side!!! I was shocked, shaking, etc. but kept driving straight b/c duh, I was in the flow of traffic. It was horrifying!! So sad and stressful. If anyone was in the passenger side of either car, I dont know ... not good greensad.gif

I kept thinking about it all afternoon, driving very mindfully. On my way home from the pet store tonight I, ME, was hit on the drivers side HARD by a car that ran a stop sign at an intersection. The air bags deployed all along the drivers side of the car (Honda Odyssey), the car rocked, I think the air bag hit me in the side of the face. It was shocking, stunning. It took me a second to realize I was ok. The whole rear drivers side is crunched. It still drives, but needs a lot of work. And the air bags dont deflate, so I have air bags puffed out all over the drivers side of the car. I was 3 blocks from home

What a f***ing day

#381 of 496 Old 01-25-2012, 05:12 PM

Sparkle, thank goodness you're ok. greensad.gif

Terrifying.

Be on the alert for aches and pains in the next few days.
#382 of 496 Old 01-25-2012, 05:24 PM

sparkle, OMG! Has your adrenalin worn off yet? Take care of yourself!!!

bec, have a terrific trip!

RR- My run today was much shorter than planned. Most of the snow in the village has melted, but the trails are still covered and icy and treacherous. I did a total of 25 minutes, but 10 of those were tiptoeing to see if it got better deeper in the forest. I should have taken my running gear earlier in the day when I was in town for work, since they have no snow (we're closer to the mountains and always have a bit more). I came home and did a 30 minute circuit with the Nike training club app instead, so at least something.

NRR- The university 1 hour from here is hiring a Practical Nursing Instructor- temporary until the summer, but on the same "old" curriculum that I've been teaching (new curriculum starts in the fall). I'm waiting for my application to upload as I type this. Very slowly waiting for it to upload- I may have to break the file in to smaller sections.,. I don't know what I think about the job, but applying can't hurt. I can't believe that I've been working so much between the two jobs and here I am applying for a third!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#383 of 496 Old 01-25-2012, 06:32 PM

OMG Sparkle, that's terrible! Were the kids in the car w/you? How horrible to see an accident and then get hit like that. Thank goodness you are ok. Take it easy and have a glass of wine tonight. hug2.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#384 of 496 Old 01-25-2012, 07:32 PM

Sparkle!  Thank God you're alright!  What a day!  I totally second the wine, maybe in a bath with some calming essential oils and a man rubbing your feet!  One of those would have been more than plenty!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#385 of 496 Old 01-25-2012, 09:24 PM

sparkle--ugh! I'm so glad you're ok. Scary.

JenLove--ah, 3. Just roll with it. R gave up naps pretty much the minute she turned 2. She'd take them sometimes, but pretty much only in the jogging stroller and only if she felt like it.... Also a big yeahthat.gif to what MelW said. R is a pita the month before her birthday. Then she has the birthday and is a joy to be around for a while.

goodvibes.gif to everyone considering school changes, unhappy in school, or just because.

MelW--There are some freakishly tall 6yos in R's class. I'm very glad they're not mine! The last time I volunteered for a party, one boy walked up to me and asked if 4 feet was tall for a first grader, noting that he came up to my chin. I hope they won't be towering over me until at least 4th grade....

RR: 3 with the stroller.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#386 of 496 Old 01-26-2012, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Sparkle, hug2.gif Wow mama, what an awful day for you.

Interview this morning at the Montessori...

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#387 of 496 Old 01-26-2012, 06:13 AM

sparkle - oh my word!  How scary!  I recommend on top of what everyone else said a massage and an adjustment.

nic - good luck!

Thanks for all of the words of encouragement re: DD.  She's within the month mark of her birthday, and I'm resonating with what you all say here.  To top it off we have to go to the dr today so he can take a dried fig stem out of her nose.  eyesroll.gif

Last night I officially sent in my before pic with my weight to the kettlebell challenge.  I won't win because I'm probably already too thin but I hope to bulk up some from this challenge.  Maybe gain 5 pounds?

I also did 25 minutes of the toning part of yoga booty ballet.  Butt and hammys aren't happy today. :P

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#388 of 496 Old 01-26-2012, 06:19 AM

Sparkle, so thankful you're OK. Hope the other person came out OK too, mama. What a day.

We're having a cat crisis. One missing, one poisoned. Off to continue to do what must be done...

#389 of 496 Old 01-26-2012, 10:41 AM

Jo - horrible. is there a connection (i.e. how was the cat poisoned?) I hope everything turns out ok

JG - Funny that you cant see yourself hs-ing, or being organized enough or whatev. You seem like a great candidate. I'm sorry your ds is having such a crummy time this year greensad.gif

Geo - same to you. It must hurt your heart so much to hear your dd's unhappiness and be trying so hard to fix it! you are an amazing mama

Jenlove - my goal is probably your before picture lol.gif

Go Bec joy.gif

MelW - yes on the adrenalin. That was just it. Wow on the 3 jobs!!! (that's one ! for every job lol.gif) You are amazing with all you have going on. I'll be curious to hear about the e-school possibility

NRR: I'm fine, truly, it was just so surreal, especially after thinking about that other crash all day. I totally had to do some Dukes of Hazard driving to get myself out of the fishtail that the hit put my car in, but we were both fine. She was younger than me, probably twenties, and shaking like me. Damage to our car is $9000 jaw.gif

RR: 4.5 mile walk, 15 min. miles. It was nice to be outside in the cold morning quiet with the dog. Trying to flush out some of this lactic acid, which is still making it hard to get in and out of the car, or sit on the toilet lol.gif

#390 of 496 Old 01-26-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh, Jo! How awful! hug2.gif

Sparkle, maybe some foam rolling?

Jen, oh boy--the 3's. Yeah. Hmmm. eyesroll.gif luxlove.gif   irked.gif  all at the same time. 

So the Montessori was a great place. I'd never observed in a private Montessori before, and wow, there is a lot you can do without the restrictions of state funded mandates, etc, especially in lower and upper elementary. I was so impressed. There is no actual job position, as of yet. They just bought some land and are developing the plans for a middle school, which is where I'd come in. But not yet...  So it was more of a meet and greet type thing, beneficial but not immediately helpful. Back to square 1 as far as near-term employment...  However, I must say it felt so good to be able to 'breathe' in a school. When I walk into my kids' school or any other regular school, as homey and loving as they might be, as 'good', I still have this weird physically constricted feeling come over me. Or maybe I just don't notice that until I go into a place like the Montessori and feel myself relax. I loved observing the kids...I actually got a chance to observe in all the rooms (2-3; 3-6; 6-9; and 9-12) and it was one of the first times I've had the opportunity to observe a little kids' learning environment for more than a couple minutes. Wow -- it was awesome. 

Anyway...putting up a loaf of honey whole wheat bread for the family in the bread machine, and some potato/carrot/parsnip/leek soup (into which I will sneakily also blend some white beans for protein)...

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page