Dingos Jogging Into January 2012! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 496 Old 01-07-2012, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jo - emme was a doula, and is now a midwife in mpls. where we lived for 4 years and where my eldest two were born (in the same hospital as Dh no less). She was my doula for dd1

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 496 Old 01-08-2012, 03:36 AM

Sparkle - Aha. My college friend is a massage therapist who does reflexology and belly mapping. The Peace Corps friend, who knows? Funny when 3 of my not-connected friends are all connected to one person, though.

Real, I weaned both babies at 21 months. I don't think our household would be compatible. orngtongue.gif I agree, a medal, a statue, a Day in your Name when all this is done.

On the Mizunos, what the heck? That's too many complaints in a small sampling. How do you end up in a shoe that does this to you?

Plady, hope the back is working with you. Mine seems to have taken a short reprieve and it sure is nice. It could be the yoga and strength exercises kicking in, I suppose, and not just the will of my back.

Mel38, welcome home, and I covet your running ambition.

RM, I get it with the big decisions and stress. None would be wrong, any could come with could-have-should-haves, and ultimately I hope it works out for you, too.

JenLove, how close are we getting to kids? As in goat babies? I am SO going to cry over pictures. Speaking of, "our" farm's listing shows a sale is pending. *sniff*

Gaye, I know for you this has been a long time, but it still feels like such a whirlwind. You're a nurse! So awesome.

RR: Very short walk this AM. Hoping for a second walk this PM.

NRR: Made a huge pot of the Number One Very Best Soup In the World, Ever. And wrote 2000w today. Hoping to salvage some thousands from earlier drafts now, and might soon be back around 25000w on this thing. It will kill me or make me stronger, and I am not willing to die just now. An acquaintance here whose first novel is on shelves just got picked up by another publisher for a second book. His words are so kind and encouraging and self-depracating, it is hard not to hate him, but also hard not to use the encouragement as a prod.

#123 of 496 Old 01-08-2012, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Number One Very Best Soup In the World, Ever

eat.gif  Recipe, please!  eat.gif

#124 of 496 Old 01-08-2012, 06:45 AM

Recipe: Moroccan Harira

Soak ½ lb dry chickpeas.

Cover 1 small chicken (or some thighs, or some lamb meat, or both) with 3qt water. Add salt, pepper, half a lemon and some smashed garlic. Cook until meat falls off bone, discard lemon, separate meat and stock.

Add the following in this order to simmering stock:

Chickpeas

1 large onion, minced

½ tsp black pepper

1 ½ tsp ground ginger

1 tsp turmeric

pinch saffron

* Pause and cook until chickpeas start to come around

½ pound green lentils, rinsed and picked over

* Cook until tender

Small can tomato paste (I use tetrapak box)

Meat, diced

Handful broken vermicelli

2 fresh tomatoes, peeled and diced

1 small bunch each, cilantro and parsley, chopped

Thicken with flour or cornstarch and water

Can substitute rice for pasta if desired

Serve with a squeeze of lemon

Meryem had 4 bowls so far since she got home from school.

#125 of 496 Old 01-08-2012, 07:19 AM

Jo - We really aren't sure.  We were thinking late February, but DH is worried sooner.  We've been researching pictures and I know it's not imminent.  I'm predicting whenever we get a Feb. blizzard. :)  Sorry about your farm. :(

Sparkle - Good luck getting those eggs gone!  How maddening!

Yesterday I did 30 minutes of yoga booty ballet before going to town with Dh.  We went to se Mission Impossible 4 (which is filmed in Dubai :)) and out to eat Thai food. <3  We followed it up by hanging out at his parent's house watching the GOP debate.  There's proof we are getting old. :P

Today we're cleaning house and installing a washer and dryer - finally!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#126 of 496 Old 01-08-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

Made a huge pot of the Number One Very Best Soup In the World, Ever. And wrote 2000w today. Hoping to salvage some thousands from earlier drafts now, and might soon be back around 25000w on this thing

eat.gif and clap.gif The soup looks good.

JenLove--yay for a washer and dryer. You'll need it when J arrives on your doorstep. :P

tjsmama--hope you're surviving the nightshift tonight.

RM--that's a lot to think about. Hope that the run helped and that you'll have some time in the coming days to sort it all out.

RR: 10 this afternoon. Most of the miles flew by more quickly than usual (in my mind, not literally :P ) so that made for a nice run.

NRR: I finished sorting and organizing my yarn. Why I felt the need to do this, I'm not sure. I'm not even sure how it happened. But suddenly on Friday night, much of my yarn was out of my closet and I was rearranging stuff. Storage containers were on sale at Target, and now my yarn is organized. I even pulled out the fishing line meter, calculated how much I have of each partly-used skein of sock yarn (and some of my worsted weight), and put all that data in Ravelry. The sock yarn info will be helpful because it also allowed me to see how many yards I was using on average for R's socks at any given age so I know how I can use the leftovers.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#127 of 496 Old 01-09-2012, 04:34 AM

Real ~ wow, that sounds like quite the organizing project.  Must feel good to know exactly where you stand in the yarn department though.  Nice run too smile.gif.

JenLove ~ I can't wait to hear about your baby goats when they arrive.  Congrats on the washer/dryer.

Jooj ~ Mmmmmm... that soup sounds delicious eat.gif!

DH accidentally pushed the "hour" button on his clock last night when he set the alarm, so we unknowingly got up at 5:15 instead of 6:15.  Doh!  I am actually enjoying the extra quiet time for myself and he decided to hit the YMCA before work instead of after.  It's a win!

Our stray kitty came in this morning smelling like hay and manure.  He must be spending time in someone's barn.  For some reason, this makes me smile orngbiggrin.gif

DH and I are busy planning our future somewhere else, but can't decide where.  Any Dingos live within 20 minutes of a military installation and think it's a great place to live and raise children.  Preferably somewhere with low-ish property taxes winky.gif.  So far we're considering Colorado Springs, Denver, Cheyenne, WY, York, ME, Virginia coast, and moving back to Bloomington, IN.  More ideas please!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#128 of 496 Old 01-09-2012, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh I just posted a huge long post and it evaporated. eyesroll.gif

Anyway. JayGee, I think there is at least one military installation near me (Westover and Hanscom?). Western Mass has tons of great stuff to offer: beautiful small towns, mountains, winter and summer outdoorsy stuff galore (skiing, hiking, running, trails, biking, etc.), much lower property taxes and housing prices than the eastern part of the state. Some of the areas have excellent public schools and there are also a ton of interesting private alternative options. Also a bunch of colleges and one large university (UMass) makes for a very vibrant intellectual and cultural vibe. Amherst and Northampton have a lot of organic farms, CSAs and the like and there is definitely a culture here of valuing environmental sustainability, etc. The Berkshires are an hour's drive -- Tanglewood (summer home of the Boston Pops Orchestra); Vermont and Maine are within a couple hours for skiing; Montreal is 5 hours away if you want to get your French Canadian culture thing going; Boston is under two hours away, NYC is a little over 2 hours away. The Cape and Islands are a bit over 2 hours away for summer vacations and the beaches on the north shore of Boston even closer.

We landed here more or less by accident and it's a very nice place. Also, I'm here. whistling.gif

Quick but intense 6 on the mill this morning. I didn't get a long run in yesterday as we were in Boston putting on dh's Heartbreak Hill 5 Miler race (publicity race mainly for the opening of his triathlon's registration this week). It was fun -- not too many people did it, but they were very enthusiastic and it went over great. The finish was at the Chestnut Hill Reservoir which is just a block away from where we used to live (and I used to run around that reservoir every day!). And then we went to my friend's house in Wellesley for a couple hours -- she was one of my best friends in college. You know how some people just fill you up and make you feel like you're home? That's her and it was so awesome to spend time together again. luxlove.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#129 of 496 Old 01-09-2012, 05:10 AM

GaYe, what do you do with ds when you are on night shift?

Visit with my dad yesterday after work went better than expected. 

Off to work this morning and a P90X work out after. Loads to do today. 

Bbl

#130 of 496 Old 01-09-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post

NRR: I finished sorting and organizing my yarn. Why I felt the need to do this, I'm not sure. I'm not even sure how it happened. But suddenly on Friday night, much of my yarn was out of my closet and I was rearranging stuff. Storage containers were on sale at Target, and now my yarn is organized. I even pulled out the fishing line meter, calculated how much I have of each partly-used skein of sock yarn (and some of my worsted weight), and put all that data in Ravelry. The sock yarn info will be helpful because it also allowed me to see how many yards I was using on average for R's socks at any given age so I know how I can use the leftovers.

What does this fishing line calculator cost?  I'm not super organized, although all my scraps are balled up and in an under the bed shoe container, in rainbow order. It must mean you are still on semester break?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post You know how some people just fill you up and make you feel like you're home? That's her and it was so awesome to spend time together again. luxlove.gif

Yes. This. I have one friend who is like that locally and she isn't a super close friend at all. But every time I see her my heart is so lifted. I really should make more time for that. But our lives don't cross paths all that often -- she doesn't ever leave her kids. Ever. I think its a hold-over from a bad childhood. And my kids don't love the intensity that is her middle child (who happens to LOVE Leah Lu). So.....maybe calling her today.

A SUPER fun weekend here. We don't have lots of snow on the ground at home (as in -- snow here and there, but mostly brown grass). We picked up our kids a few hours early from school and drove north 2 hrs. There's usually 30-40 inches of snow on the ground there, but this weekend was ~6-8 inches (we'll take it!). Cold enough that the lake was frozen and the lodge owner got the plow out and plowed a skating rink (yes, that means there's >8 inches of ice on the lake so you can drive on it). We went xc skiing, ice skating, hot tubing and spent the weekend in a cabin. It was an all inclusive thing and they had live musicians on sat night. My kids were beat, especially leah lu, so we bailed early. But it was so fun! Then we came back and went to xc ski lessons locally. So that makes 4 days in a row of physical exercise. YAY!

Now. Back to writing classes and finishing up xmas decoration clean up and prepping for a very busy spring semester. 4 more days of vacation, then over a week of meetings and then the classes begin.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#131 of 496 Old 01-09-2012, 07:37 AM

lisa~The nanny stays overnight.

jaygee~um....hellooooooo, Denver. winky.gif

I survived nightshift. It was a crazy one. Literally. It was actually pretty quiet, except for the one patient who literally wacked out (paranoid, belligerent, insisting she was going to leave when she can't even walk) for an hour at 2 am, and the other patient who was suicidal and tried to throw her juice and the phone at me. Good times, I tell ya. Ah, but nightshift money is so good, and it really wasn't a bad night, even with the wackadoos.

And now, sleep. sleeping.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#132 of 496 Old 01-09-2012, 08:05 AM

JG - Um wave.gif I complain about the low property taxes because of the schools (I would rather pay more and give it to schools), that said, the schools are very neighborhood dependent, so you can certainly find "good" schools. I was thinking of mentioning my town when you mentioned the Springs, as they are very similar, minus the intensity of religion and with more diversity here. We live at the base of a mountain range with loads of trails for running and biking, and skiing on the back side of the mountains about 30-40 minutes away. There are lots of kid-friendly things to do (same as everywhere, I imagine): great zoo, kids science museum, tons of sports, botanic gardens, etc etc. There are also a huge mix of peoples and neighborhoods; you can find a neighborhood that resonated with you, your values and interests, which might not be the case in a different neighborhood. The foothills (at the base of the mountains, where you can run out your back door onto trails) tends to be more white, less funky, a little more suburban, while the area around the university is more funky but also boutique-y (i.e. cute street with independently owned stores, a walkable neighborhood, etc, but a 15-20 minute drive to the foothills for trails). The "north valley" is lush, with lots of ranches and horses and animals of all kinds, lots of big trees, and of course the Rio Grande running right through the middle of it all (supplying all that water), and more of a mix of funky and conventional. I will say that the overall aesthetic of the town is gritty. It is the high desert, so looks dry compared to most places, and that takes some getting used to. Also, the architecture for me took some getting used to. If you can look past that, the people are awesome, sensibility is great, quality of life is high (not rat racy lol.gif)

We live in the University neighborhood, where the schools are supposed to be some of the best in the city (all the professor's and doctor's kids, I suspect - lots of parent involvement, lots of volunteer cash). We live 5-10 minute bike ride form the University, the hospital. There is also Sandia labs and Intel driving the economy in the area, and the air force base is also near us....The schools in the foothills are also better than average, frankly I think b/c of lack of diversity....but it is beautiful up there...

Come to the Mtns!! Cross all the flat places off your list lol.gif

edited to add: ...and let's not forget the climbing gym wink1.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#133 of 496 Old 01-09-2012, 12:02 PM

You have an excess of milk (2%) and fresh eggs.

Also a request for "rice but not the plain stuff dad makes" (white basmati).

In our pantry we have split peas, lentils, red quinoa, regular old brown quinoa, bulgur, brown rice, sticky rice, Dad's special white basmati rice, chickpeas, black beans, and probably almost every thing you'd need to make any kind of basic sauce (we do cook from scratch a lot).

What do you make? I'm looking for ideas to meet the "excess milk + eggs" OR rice. Kids don't eat rice pudding.

Limitations: no tomatoes of any kind (oldest doesn't like them and I wonder if she has an allergy). Spicy is not always better (but if it is something that can be made spicy / bland in two parallel pots I'll do it for the sake of the younger eaters).

#134 of 496 Old 01-09-2012, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

What's in the veggie drawer?

#135 of 496 Old 01-09-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

What's in the veggie drawer?

carrots, beets, rutabega, onions, garlic, green chives, cucumber, potatoes, winter squash

#136 of 496 Old 01-09-2012, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Grate the potatoes, grease a pie pan, toss the grated potatoes with oil and salt, press into the bottom of the pan and bake @375F for the time it takes to prepare:

mix 6-8 eggs, a good amount of milk (1/2c-1c), and mix up.  Chop those chives, onions (±sauted with garlic), and squash and mix into egg mixture.  Add cubes of cheese (I like feta) if you've got it.  Pour over the potato crust & bake until done (errr, 40 minutes?). 

Cheap & easy "quiche"

#137 of 496 Old 01-09-2012, 01:02 PM

mmm. sounds like a good way to use rutabaga. (insert evil laugh).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Grate the potatoes, grease a pie pan, toss the grated potatoes with oil and salt, press into the bottom of the pan and bake @375F for the time it takes to prepare:

mix 6-8 eggs, a good amount of milk (1/2c-1c), and mix up.  Chop those chives, onions (±sauted with garlic), and squash and mix into egg mixture.  Add cubes of cheese (I like feta) if you've got it.  Pour over the potato crust & bake until done (errr, 40 minutes?). 

Cheap & easy "quiche"

#138 of 496 Old 01-09-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

NRR: Made a huge pot of the Number One Very Best Soup In the World, Ever.

After I read the recipe, I added some chicken to my grocery list and it's now simmering away. We'll modify it for allergies (or just add the tomato after I take out a portion for my youngest). And maybe quinoa to replace the noodles. My house smells delicious already. And now I want quiche, too. We have been eating so many eggs while my husband is away because he's allergic to them.

sparkle and Nic, I love hearing about your communities. Good luck with the decisions, JayGee!

real, I covet your organizational binge. Want to come and tackle the year worth of paperwork sitting in a box (okay, boxes..) on my desk?

kerc, sounds like a wonderful weekend.

On the subject of snow sports, is it reasonable to take a 2 1/2 year old snowshoeing? Any experiences? The kids have been asking to go up to the local mountain (lots of our friends are skiiers), and we could just go play in the snow or do the snow tube thing. I know lots of people that start their two year olds skiing, but I don't like downhill so have very little motivation to spend time doing it with the kids. I tried to convince the girls to buy each other snowshoes as Christmas gifts, but couldn't get them excited about it.

RR- 8ish km in the forest. It's muddy, but not raining. I think a bit of my sanity may have been restored, since I've been in a mid-winter rainy day lazy slump for a few days now.

NRR- Grad school applications 50% done. Still need to get a couple of transcripts scanned and finish one research interest statement, but it's getting there. I'm feeling ambivalent about it all, but applying anyway. The run makes all of this less stressful.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#139 of 496 Old 01-09-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post

lisa~The nanny stays overnight.
jaygee~um....hellooooooo, Denver. winky.gif
I survived nightshift. It was a crazy one. Literally. It was actually pretty quiet, except for the one patient who literally wacked out (paranoid, belligerent, insisting she was going to leave when she can't even walk) for an hour at 2 am, and the other patient who was suicidal and tried to throw her juice and the phone at me. Good times, I tell ya. Ah, but nightshift money is so good, and it really wasn't a bad night, even with the wackadoos.
And now, sleep. sleeping.gif

Full moon last night, wasn't it? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

Real ~ wow, that sounds like quite the organizing project.  Must feel good to know exactly where you stand in the yarn department though.  Nice run too smile.gif.

JenLove ~ I can't wait to hear about your baby goats when they arrive.  Congrats on the washer/dryer.

Jooj ~ Mmmmmm... that soup sounds delicious eat.gif!

DH accidentally pushed the "hour" button on his clock last night when he set the alarm, so we unknowingly got up at 5:15 instead of 6:15.  Doh!  I am actually enjoying the extra quiet time for myself and he decided to hit the YMCA before work instead of after.  It's a win!

Our stray kitty came in this morning smelling like hay and manure.  He must be spending time in someone's barn.  For some reason, this makes me smile orngbiggrin.gif

DH and I are busy planning our future somewhere else, but can't decide where.  Any Dingos live within 20 minutes of a military installation and think it's a great place to live and raise children.  Preferably somewhere with low-ish property taxes winky.gif.  So far we're considering Colorado Springs, Denver, Cheyenne, WY, York, ME, Virginia coast, and moving back to Bloomington, IN.  More ideas please!

I vote Colorado too! :)

I am fighting a head cold that I don't have time for.  Sinus pressure, headache, tired.... insert lots of vitamins, tea, spicy snacks, and my lavender salve to rub on my sinuses.  Yesterday I got a whole bunch of cleaning done while Aiden slept in the wrap.  I still have TONS to do, but it'll have to wait because I have a 3 month old going through a growth spurt.  Planning light yoga later.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#140 of 496 Old 01-09-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Gah.

I am getting sick, dh is getting sick (and he is the worst. patient. ever.), dd1 is getting sick. I subbed today for 3 of the worst behaved middle school boys I have EVER taught and that is saying something -- and worse, they are at my kids' school and I was just incredibly disappointed in the chutzpah. Sigh. Then I accidentally let the van door close on ds' hand. crap.gif bawling.gif

surrender.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#141 of 496 Old 01-09-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post

NRR- Grad school applications 50% done. Still need to get a couple of transcripts scanned and finish one research interest statement, but it's getting there. I'm feeling ambivalent about it all, but applying anyway. The run makes all of this less stressful.

That's me, almost verbatim, except maybe 80% done (due Friday) and without the run lol.gif. Sorry, no advise on the snowshoes. Could be fun or could be a nightmare. I think I'd prefer to start with another adult present...

Kerc - no idea about the milk. Eggs always get used in a quiche... We make "warm milk" as a treat after dinner - warm it and add cinnamon, vanilla and a little sweetener...That would get rid of 2 C.

Nic, JL - Oh no on the illness greensad.gifgoodvibes.gif

NRR: Also done today were 3 dozen gluten/dairy free strawberry cupcakes (for the one girl in the class who is GD free lol.gif) with chocolate frosting for a lice-delayed birthday celebration at DD2's pre-school. And one of two letters of intent conplete...

Now to assemble this lasagna, and then I think I can relax a little...

#142 of 496 Old 01-09-2012, 05:46 PM

We do a weird thing with milk, well maybe not too weird, but we cook noodles in it to a soupy consistency and serve with butter. hide.gif I have not done this an a year or so, but there you have it. Eggs don't spoil as fast. You could make a big batch of oatmeal using milk instead of water?

A virus is sweeping the Gulf area. Turns out to sound quite exactly like the one my kids both had (a month apart). Starts with a fever that lasts about 4-5 days, accompanied by headache, nausea, dizziness, maybe vomiting (both kids did puke). Followed by a cough that lasts another week. Dd got it the week before winter break, which worked out great. She missed no real instruction and had time to have a cough at home. Poor ds just progressed to the cough, and I think he needs another day off school. Bummer, since he will be missing more next week when my parents come. Also hope my parents can stay healthy for the full two weeks.

I walked with both kids, separately yesterday for a total of about 7mi. And did some squats and lunges (weak hips!) and am sore this AM. Probably a solo walk for me today, maybe a second with dd, and more yoga. Yesterday's weather was perfect so the beach was busy.

Also called my mom just to chat. Feeling ready for this visit, and so is she. And get this: by the time kids and I would need a place to stay, my parents will have a vacancy. My divorced brother had been living with them (long story) and will be taking his house and kids back joy.gif soon. Almost too many possibilities for what to do next, but feels better than thinking of another year doing this.

Did I mention my new cat? The one that was dumped on us on Christmas Eve before we left for Jordan? Did I mention I want to keep him? I'm pretty sure he's a Siberian (looks like this but with less black and more blue), and I hate to think of leaving him here. Shudder to think of what it might cost to get him to the US, but I will investigate.

Sparkle, I still want to live in your 'hood. Just sayin. Wish my dh's work could transplant there. You forgot to mention how good it smells there in the high desert. The smell alone adds value. And the sky also.

#143 of 496 Old 01-09-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

What does this fishing line calculator cost?  I'm not super organized, although all my scraps are balled up and in an under the bed shoe container, in rainbow order. It must mean you are still on semester break

They're about $15. I have one like this from Bass Pro Shops, but Knit PIcks is now selling a prettier one for about the same price (link here). The idea comes from my drooling over this yarn meter (but not wanting to shell out $50) and eventually reading online somewhere that it was a fishing line meter nailed to wood. I just hold the meter when I'm winding the yarn. And yes, on break for the rest of this week. Our faculty meeting is Friday and we begin Tuesday. It seems crazy early this year. DH is on your schedule. Glad to hear you're getting some good writing and exercise time in on yours!

Nick--Hope the sickness passes quickly.

MelW--sorry, not into organizing paperwork this week. orngtongue.gif I have plenty of receipts, old bills, and random class stuff from last semester that I'm completely ignoring. whistling.gif On snowshoeing: we took R, but she rode in the Kelty on our backs. Or if you have a decent sled, you could put some blankets in it and pull it behind you provided the trail won't prohibit that by being rocky or something.

RR: going to do some strength training once J goes to sleep.

NRR: my iPod Touch arrived! joy.gif I've been having fun with it this evening, but now it's time for work. I need to finish my syllabus so I can hopefully run to campus and print it out tomorrow, plus finish editing the two proposals I'm writing for an upcoming conference. Come to think of it, I think those proposals are the reason I ended up organizing my yarn. redface.gif One is in great shape. The other is ok, though I haven't come up with a good title yet. Somehow, I don't see anyone getting exciting about "Understanding Modern Transcultural Art Music: A New Analytical Framework." Ack. Back to the drawing board. (ETA: I know science titles can be boring and I'm a little envious. But musicology/ethnomusicology titles are supposed to be interesting. The title of the other paper? "A Meeting in Northwest Asia: Transculturation and Lou Harrison’s Suite for Sangen." Much better! lol.gif

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#144 of 496 Old 01-09-2012, 11:36 PM

I'm much more excited about the second title than the first, real. And not surprised that you don't want to file my papers winky.gif

Enjoy the iPod!

jo, I hope your DS feels better soon. The soup was delicious, and the batch that was citrus and tomato free was pretty good, too.

My final research interest statement is done, though will get another quick proofread in the morning before it's sent off. And I don't want to write anything else about health promotion and mentorship models for "at risk" parents for at least a week! I will get these applications completed on schedule by the end of the week, thankfully. sparkle, you're keeping me accountable and a little bit competitive (80% finished!!).

I forgot to mention in my post earlier that I have a new niece as of last night. My sister's second daughter (we're keeping the all girl trend going for another generation..) and a successful VBAC. She's gorgeous in her photos, and I'm pretty happy to have another cute baby in the family. I'm done, done, done, but it's nice to have one to cuddle and send cute clothes to!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#145 of 496 Old 01-10-2012, 05:48 AM
bec

Reading along, but being such a dongo lately!

I'm hoping to take the fat puppy out for a short run later.  A mile, maybe 2 at the most with him, as we are just starting. 

In other news, my 8 year old passed her amateur radio tech license exam this past Sunday!  She just turned 8, and is one of the youngest (if not the youngest) ham in the state!  I'm so proud of her!

All this soup talk has me making split pea soup today!  Work is finally slowing down a bit, and I might actually end up with the 10-15 hours a week that I was originally hoping for!  I need to work out how to get regular running/exercise in there!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#146 of 496 Old 01-10-2012, 06:55 AM

Nic - Oy! What a day!  I hope today is better. 

I'm heading off-island today to get fingerprinted so I can work with kids (eyesroll.gif).  I'm looking forward to a day alone with the opportunity to stop in some thrift stores.  First though, Boxing!  Yay!  My tweaked shoulder is still tweaked but I think with the exception of crunches I can comfortably do everything else.  Yesterday my weight training buddy and I worked out upper body and the tweak wasn't an issue at all.  Of course, lying in bed is ridiculously difficult.  Why is that?  I just don't get how lying still can hurt so much.  Gar.

Gaye - That nightshift sounds nutty.  How do you do with the adjustments back to daytime?  I don't think I could handle it. 

Bec - I hope you get a schedule that works for you, you've certainly put in your time right?

Real - Hm, yeah, the first title makes me all dizzy.gif, though maybe it's just pre-caffienated wooziness too.

JG - Denver sure is nice if you don't mind being landlocked (which must not be an issue judging from where you're also looking).  Jo's right about how Sparkle's area smell though.  And there's that climbing gym!

MelW - Congrats on your new niece!

Hi Jo!  Sorry about your farm. hug2.gif

Okay, time to get tea on...

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#147 of 496 Old 01-10-2012, 08:13 AM

Real - Fun read on the subject of syllabi http://www.slate.com/articles/life/roiphe/2011/11/david_foster_wallace_s_syllabus_is_there_any_better_.html

Jo - Sorry about the farm greensad.gif I had my heart invested in a little house in Taos that we could afford, and it just sold, so I feel ya (not the same I know) But joy.gif about the 2500 words, and the author/mentor/reader. Will this be an ongoing thing? And yes on the smell and the SKY and the vistas luxlove.gif

Bec - Congrats to your DD! How cool! Sorry about being a Dongo, it will come around

MelW - Congrats to you and your sister!!

NRR: Must get the rest of the app. done today, if for no other reason than I. am. sick. of. it. Been feeling incredibly ambivalent, when not downright anxious or self-hating about all of it. I dont know what started it, but the past month has been a downward slide. I could blather to you all about it but really just want to stick my head in the sand and sleep until spring

#148 of 496 Old 01-10-2012, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, Jo I hear you about the smell of the desert. i love the desert. Although there are a lot of great things about this area (and I do think that) I really miss the desert and think I would love where Sparkle lives.

Alas, probably not going to happen.

Having another downer day mamas. I'm definitely coming down with the cold going around, ds is home sick, and I did not get a run in nor do I feel capable of going for a run even if the opportunity should present itself (i.e. dh comes home early). 

At general loose ends today.

#149 of 496 Old 01-10-2012, 08:45 AM
bec

Managed to run 2 miles with my fat puppy!  I think it is still just puppy fat, or loose skin, but he does seem to have ample padding around his ribs, and he's old enough, so I am starting his training!

On places to live: It is looking likely that my closest local friend is going to be moving within the next year or so.  Established friends and schools were the few things holding me to this area.  The schools have taken a definite down stroke in the last year or so, I'm not thrilled with the high school (scary to think that is starting to be a consideration!), and with no friends around, DH and I are starting to think about places we REALLY want to live, rather than where we just happen to be.  Denver is very high on our list!  How cool would it be to have a Dingo community?

Nic, Jo, La, Shanti - I hope you all feel better soon!  I think I got all the sickie dingos. 

Mel - Congratulations to your new niece!!!  Having a VBAC is such a huge thing!  Congrats to your sister!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#150 of 496 Old 01-10-2012, 09:01 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Bec ... congrats to your dd! What an accomplishment!

I too have a fat dog I'm running with. She's more than a pup. We adopted her a couple of years ago at age 3 and she was overweight then. I don't run with her in the summer because she's just not built for distance in the heat, but in the winter we try to get into a routine, and she's doing pretty well with me. I now take her on runs up to 10k. 

Who here lives in the desert? I love running in the desert! We live in the mountains, but took a family holiday to Joshua Tree a couple of years ago for rock-climbing (all of us) and running (me). Unfortunately middle dd saw fit to burst her appendix as we arrived and I spent the time dealing with that instead. Still feel like I'm owed 10 days of running in the Mojave. Some day ....

So, I have a question about treadmills. I'm thinking of buying one within the next year to facilitate winter training. Our tiny town doesn't have a proper gym, and the community fitness centre no longer has a functioning TM. Does anyone own a TM for use at home? Do you find that you continue to use it? What features and quality do you think are important to purchase?

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page