Dingos Jogging Into January 2012! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2012, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have a 2008? 2007? Outback. Wagon. Ours is black, though. Gas mileage is actually quite good, considering the way we drive here. It's not the old Honda Civic hatchback, but you know. Handles great (which is good driving among the suicidal and insane) and is very comfy. We missed it while traversing mountains in a Mitsubishi something-or-other we rented in Jordan. Our Outback would have done splendidly. I'd ship it home, but it's ME spec so not EPA compliant.

bec, that's my worst time, too. I think it's often just fatigue, though. Sometimes the best thing for me to do is go to bed early. 

I ran the beach yesterday and pretty much ran the whole thing, walking only a few times through deep/unstable sand. Then yoga and core work. And also had a back-on-track food day. I can do this. Thinking I might put on shoes today and use the street. iPod makes all the difference, it seems, in what I can do.

I have a package of tuna dh caught while deep sea fishing. I'm not into grilled tuna steak, so thinking green curry might allow it to be eaten. Thoughts?

Damn, ds is home sick again. January will essentially be a lost month for the kid. Oh well. And dd is complaining constantly about school. I think there is a huge and widespread behavior problem in the classroom. Dd mentioned her teacher threatened to call all parents in to sit next to their kids for a day. Sounds like a whole class out of control. Dd has been trying to stay home, in part because she misses ds on the ride, but also she's coming home with clear irritation and headaches from noise, chaos and tension. Ready to quit today. Wish I could pull them at semester. S'pose it's too late now.

Very quietly...dh has been approached about an opp elsewhere. Things could get very interesting this year. I don't mean fun or awesome, necessarily nut.gif but we'll see what happens. T'would be in his country of origin. A place I don't want to live while the ILs still do. Yes, I know how cold that sounds, but I have hundreds of very good reasons. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 10:20 PM

bec--that's awful about your DH. Sure, both are treatable, but ugh nevertheless.

Plady--hope you can find the perfect vehicle. I'd love a Subaru Outback, but I'm not thrilled by the gas mileage. And I'd love a Prius for the gas mileage but it doesn't have 4-wheel drive. This is why we are still driving our 17-year-old Saturn and our 11-year-old Buick. lol.gif

1jooj--that sounds like a great beach run. Also, I don't even want to live in the same state as my ILs, so I understand where you're coming from. It's a reasonable position.

My news for the day is that my 7-year-old broke her arm tonight. greensad.gif She's been riled up since Christmas, running everywhere instead of walking, climbing on things, chewing on anything within reach. Anyhow, after dinner she was practicing violin. She only needed to practice a few pieces for school, but she skipped three of the six pieces and then I realized it and realized she's probably not been practicing all of them because she's been rushing through practice all week. So I went to sit next to her and coach her (rather than coaching her while I cleaned up dishes or something) and we got into it over holding her violin up properly rather than letting it hang down. Long story short: she got riled up very quickly, put her violin down and started running to her room all while I was trying to tell her to take a deep breath, her foot caught the edge of the play tent and she went airborne and landed on the hardwood. She has two breaks in her forearm. I don't think there's anything else, but I'm not a radiologist. She's in a sling for now and apparently will get a cast in a few days once the swelling goes down.

The irony? The thing she's most upset about is that she might not be able to play violin until her cast is off. The break is in the middle of her forearm so one never knows, though the answer is probably not. And at the risk of sounding like a tiger mom, if she has the cast on for six weeks, she'll still have several weeks to get ready for their 100X recital and to audition for the talent show if she wants to do that again too. I know she's planning on both, so this way she won't have to sit either of them out.

And here I'd been thinking I was just going to comment on the strange reality that 3" of snow in Colorado leads to the most ridiculous traffic jams (see: DH's 3-hour commute to work this morning and that it took us 3x as long to get R to school). greensad.gif

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 01-11-2012, 10:44 PM

bec~Yikes! on the wake-up call! At least they are very fixable problems, right?

jo~What about a tuna salad? (no, not like that!) One of my favorite meals at a local restaurant is their ahi tuna salad...seared tuna, mango, avocado, and a cilantro ginger vinaigrette. eat.gif

It has been an interesting day in these parts, to say the least. We got hit with a lovely snowstorm that blew in around 5 am, messing up my plans to go to track (or just for a run from home, even) this morning. I was all set to brave the snow, and then I took the dog out. cold.gif So, I wimped out. Track was cancelled, which made me feel slightly better about the wimpiness. Plan B was to go to the Y for a little dreadmill action after dropping DS at school. That got kiboshed when it took me 20+ minutes to go 4-ish blocks, so I made a right turn to home instead of a left turn to the Y. And then almost got t-boned two blocks from home by a guy who slid right through the intersection I was waiting to turn left at, taking out the stop sign and stopping just a few feet from me. yikes.gif I had pretty much decided just to bag the workout when it occurred to me that I did have one more option...the Wii! Yep, I busted out Just Dance 3 on the Wii and danced it up for half an hour. It was not pretty (I am clearly not coordinated enough to play this game and/or the dances are HARD), but I worked up a decent sweat. Definitely not run-worthy, but something at least! DS and I played it together last night for 20 minutes or so after dinner, and I have to say, after watching him do it and experiencing it myself, I am definitely ok with them doing it in PE! The kid was seriously dancing hard...he was panting! And chastising me that "you have to do the feet, too, mommy!" bag.gif

I am not-so-patiently waiting for my authorization to test (ATT) from the state, and getting more and more panicked and irritated by the hour. People started getting theirs yesterday, and of course, while I was busy fixing dinner and helping DS with his homework, I got an email that my application was incomplete because I hadn't completed the online profile that their instructions told us we couldn't do until about 10 days after the application was submitted. rolleyes.gif The email was sent at 4:15, and of course I didn't see it until 5:15, after the close of business. I got the profile submitted, figuring that I would get my ATT first thing today, since that was apparently all that was needed. Nope! Still waiting. greensad.gif Meanwhile, more and more people are getting theirs and filling up all the available testing dates. It looks like the absolute earliest I could possibly get in at this point in the metro area is the first week of February. Which is really pushing it for the hospital to be able to verify that I passed before my start date (it apparently takes about two weeks). I know that I am not the only person with this problem, but technically, the hospital could rescind my offer if I don't have my licensure in time. Every time someone else posts on FB that they scheduled, I get more panicky. There is a very good possibility that I could be roadtripping to take the test, just to get it done in time...sparkle, how do you feel about houseguests? redface.gif I could use some first-thing-in-the-morning ATT vibes!!!

And last, but not least...DS lost his first tooth today! Completely unexpected, he swears he didn't even know it was loose. I picked him up from school and he said he had something to show me in his lunchbox when we got home. Um, ok. So, we get home and I'm unpacking/cleaning up his lunch, and I see his tooth sitting there! Crazy! (It was one of the lower ones, so I didn't notice right away, it was hiding behind his lip!). He said it came out when he was drinking his milk, isn't that weird? Not eating his sandwich, but drinking? And how he managed not to swallow it, I also do not understand. Nonetheless, the tooth fairy has paid a visit tonight. After raiding DS's cash stash in the firesafe because she didn't have a bill smaller than a $50. Is it bad to borrow the kid's own money so the tooth fairy can pay up? bag.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 01-11-2012, 10:47 PM

x-posted...that stinks, Lisa! greensad.gif Hope R heals quickly!!!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 01-12-2012, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Oh my goodness, hug2.gif to Real and dd, to Bec and dh, and to everyone who had a challenging day yesterday. Here's hoping today's better!

Kids are all well enough to go to school today, I got a great 6 miler in yesterday afternoon which I sorely needed (but which started off badly -- had to find a bathroom -- but ended up being great). I am subbing today and hoping for a run later on.

Keep us posted Jo...wow. So many possibilities/changes.

Happy Thursday Dingos!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 01-12-2012, 07:36 AM

Real ~ oh my!  Hope your DD's arm heals quickly hug2.gif.

tjsmama ~ hope you hear from the testing board today!  How nerve-wracking.

jooj ~ more changes afoot.  I hear you on living near the in-laws.  Awesome run though!

No RR today.  My schedule is cram packed with chiro, volunteering, gymnastics....  Maybe I can get 30 or 40 minutes in on the trainer tonight.

NRR ~ Snow!  The kids are super-excited, even if it's just an inch.  I'm happy to see it too.  I've missed snow this winter.  I talked to my friend yesterday who went to that invite-only parent meeting and it looks like they'll be having them every month, so I am THERE in February.  I'm actually not too disappointed to have missed this month's because all they talked about was the behavior system the school uses.  Apparently, it was a bunch of parents complaining that their perfect kid never wins the character award eyesroll.gif.  And how ALL kids should win an award because it would damage their delicate self-esteem to not win eyesroll.gif.  IMO, you want the award, then exhibit the behavior they are rewarding (responsibility, self-control, discipline, etc.)  There was NO discussion at all of academics or the lack thereof.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 01-12-2012, 08:04 AM
bec

Oh, JG, how I hate the everyone gets an award thing!!!!  Totally takes the joy out of when someone REALLY has an accomplishment!  This is one place where Alfie Kohn and I see eye to eye.  I find that so frustrating!

Real - I hope DD's arm heals quickly!  I have a 6 year old that likes to run around the house like crazy.  Usually with another 6 year old.  My fear is exactly that!  Especially because the other 6 year old is prone to breaking bones.  And my 6 year old tends to do a LOT of falling. 

Day one, and 2 pounds down.  Gotta love, love, love water weight loss!  I know it really doesn't mean anything, but it is nice to see the number going in the correct direction for once!  DH survived yesterday pretty well, too.  The good thing is that I really do know how to cook on this way of eating!

Some sort of long(ish) run will happen today.  Something over 5, but probably less than 10.

NRR: My two younger children went out to play yesterday in the back yard.  I went out this morning to clean up dog poop and found this.  What is it?  They were gone before I found it. photo33.jpg

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Why, bec, it's the dog poop altar, of course!

Speedy healing to your DD, Real.  Are her outbursts getting more frequent?  This seems like a long time after Christmas to still be wound up. 

I walked a slow mile on my new Saucony's on the track (yes, I drove 0.3 mile to the track) Tuesday night, walked to the track and did a fast 2 mile walk last night, then walked a mile this morning while chatting with my favorite special ed mom, talking about the new math stuff going down in our schools (not all good, not all bad, and there is a route in place for kids like DS who might very well be on a track to finish calculus in 8th grade).

I gotta keep it to walking on the track for a while though.  I'm still not 100%, but the improvement is daily.

My new most dreaded word:  "rigorous" 

It has lost all meaning to me.

DD's testing is continuing.  I'd thought they'd finished the IQ test in the first 3 hours of testing, but they finished it in another 90 minutes before going on yesterday.  Poor kid worked really, really hard, then got asked 150 questions pertaining to anxiety, depression, and ODD-type things.  And they haven't started the achievement testing!  The psychologist has me tracking her mood and every single crying jag and negative self-comment she makes, with annotations of daily sleep and exercise.  Good grief.  (but also hopefully good data)

DH and I are seriously discussing doing Elliot next, though I'm hoping to put a few years between each kid's testing to prevent us for making direct, side-by-side comparisons between the kids.  Of course, he may demand that we test him next if school continues to be such a poor fit.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:31 AM

Jo - I hope you end up in a good place for you and your kiddos.  It sounds like some big shifts are coming and needed.  

Real ~ Ouch!  So sorry about dd.  I hope she was a trooper and she heals really fast.

Gaye ~ Yay for T on losing his first tooth.  Was the tooth fairy nice to him? :)

JayGee ~ SNOW!  It's just starting here and we are expected to get 4-8"!

It's yoga booty ballet day today. :)  

Question about house cleaners: who has one, what do you have them do, how often, how much?  I'm ready to pay someone 2-4x a month to come in and do the scrubbing for me.  My focus is elsewhere.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 01-12-2012, 08:33 AM

bec ~ field goal posts! :P

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 01-12-2012, 09:07 AM

Real, ouch. greensad.gif Poor kid. I hope she can be back to the violin soon.

Thanks for the positive thoughts on what lies ahead. It could be anything or nothing, could end up anywhere, I guess. I'm sort of over it for a while again, until March and we make and execute big decisions on housing and ed. So I am trying to write. Not at 40K yet, but added 3K today. Progress. And it feels like it's coming together in a newly tight-fitting way.

Magazine sent me an email asking me to come in to discuss extending my column contract. headscratch.gif What part of "I don't think it will continue to be mutually beneficial" don't they understand? I don't WANT to write for them anymore. And I want to go away. Not a good fit.

Nic, nice work on the run. Hope you get yours later, too.

Bec, I love that encouraging little boom at the start, too. But I think you guys have the motivation and mojo now to rock this. It will be great for your family, and G!d willing easy, too. Divining rod. Looking for snow. (The pic)

Gaye, your tuna salad idea sounded awesome, but also kind of like work. I did a green curry (with coconut milk, of course, what else?) and actually it was mighty fine.

JayGee, I'm not in a good place with my kids' school either right now. And the kicker is the $17K per kid that gets shelled out for tuition. Dd has been complaining daily of the chaos of her classroom. She officially hates school. She is confused by the little girls in her class alternating acting like total brats (mostly the "I can only have one friend at a time" cr@p). She's underchallenged by the curriculum but so put off by the behavior in class that I feel like we're all but backsliding sometimes. Ugh. And she's a terrific learner. Makes me so sad.

Jennie, enjoy the snow!

sparkle, I am so looking up to you on your current academic pursuits. I think on some level I am dreaming a back-door sort of dream, that maybe I can try and publish some fiction and get into an MFA/teaching gig that way, and maybe someday be a writing prof and dh can retire.

Today was a good day for exercise. I ran 40min on the street, since the Chinese film crew took over the beach and had security set up at every possible entrance point. And besides, I don't want to end up featured on some Chinese action film set in Dubai, lumbering down the beach. Not even in an outtake. lol.gif So I put on my running shoes (which felt OK but the footfall feels a little weird now after barefooting, since I run in Forrest Gump-like Brooks Ariels) and ran on the sidewalk. It was OK. Then came home and wrote and directed ds on a long-term book report project since he is still sick (back in school Sunday) while I wrote. Then this evening after dinner, we walked around the neighborhood and down to Safa Park, where we rented one of those 4-person family cycles and pedaled hard for an hour. The kids really needed the movement, but after coconut milk curry and rice, I was happy to pedal.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:46 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

So I put on my running shoes (which felt OK but the footfall feels a little weird now after barefooting, since I run in Forrest Gump-like Brooks Ariels) and ran on the sidewalk.

Jo, many barefooters swear by inexpensive water shoes for the occasional times they need to run on unforgiving surfaces. Or simple leather-lace-style huaraches, but I imagine (?) water shoes would be more readily available where you are. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups
Old 01-12-2012, 11:19 AM

bec~giant slingshot?

Still waiting here. Not so patiently. I finally called the state to see what the status is and the girl I talked to said, and I quote, "I do see that your HPPP (the online profile thing) was checked off yesterday, so I'll go ahead and make you eligible and Pearson Vue (the testing service) will contact you." Um, wtf??? So, if I hadn't called, would my application just keep sitting there in limbo until some unknown point in time? If they checked it off yesterday, why couldn't they make me eligible yesterday??? banghead.gif Sooooo frustrating. Hopefully the testing service is quick...according to the state, it could take 24-48 hours. irked.gif

rr~Too cold for my wimpy self to run outside this morning, so off to the Y where I managed 4+ slowish miles on the hamster wheel.

And now, I must nap. Nightshift tonight.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:14 PM

JayGee--glad you got snow and wanted it!

bec--you know, I think breaking bones is really hit or miss. I fell a lot as a child and never broke anything, though I ended up getting stitches twice. shrug.gif Hopefully your little one can avoid both.

1jooj--sounds like an awesome exercise day.

tjsmama--have a good shift tonight, and I hope processing can move along a bit faster for you.

Geo--Hope testing gives you some answers. I'm glad to hear it's pretty exhaustive because that should produce more helpful data.

As far as R, her outbursts aren't more frequent. She's a high-strung kid, always has been, and some days has more of a hair trigger than others. Also, I think there's something in the air. It's tricky to go from snow on Saturday night to 60 degrees on Tuesday to 20 degrees on Wednesday (and 9 degrees last night) and then to 40 without it affecting you in some way. We've all been feeling a bit edgy this week anyhow, maybe because the semester is about to start up? Her classmates are all riled up too, so it's not just her.

The morning went well. It was a choir morning so happily that meant I was there for that and was able to walk her down to her classroom and help her get set up. I was also scheduled to volunteer so I made a quick run to Starbucks for some badly-needed free brewed coffee and then headed back to the school. She seemed to be fine and had already told everyone what happened. And we'd talked to the music teacher after choir and she'd been assured that she could still be in orchestra and she could help Ms. Mogan or one of the volunteers could finger the notes for her and she could still bow or whatever. So I dropped her violin off in the music room and she can decide what to do.

One of the other moms in R's class has an older son (also a violinist) who broke his arm and apparently they asked if when they put his cast on if they could work it so his arm was in the right position for playing violin and the best part was that he kept his perfect form after getting the cast off. (Now we both sound like tiger moms. We're really not!) So I'll have to ask because I know she'd prefer being able to play if possible.

Anyhow, then I volunteered (the other mom was also volunteering so we chatted on our way to the classroom) and R seemed much less anxious. She'd been really worried about telling people and about how she'd do stuff with one hand (despite or perhaps because we told her she'd be mobbed with classmates wanting to help), but the teacher asked if she'd like to share what happened and she did.

Also, the kids in her class were, predictably, equally wound up so something is definitely in the air. Does it sound weird if one of the things I most appreciate about her G&T class is that I can use her classmates as a barometer of what's normal among that set? lol.gif

Feeling totally wired myself, which I don't usually do. I need a run badly, but it's a speedwork day and there was snow on the trail. I don't want to push the jogger through that nor do I want to chance getting on the TM while J naps because she'll wake up immediately. So, either I'll head out with yaktrax tonight or get on the TM. Meanwhile, I'm waiting to hear about an ortho referral from our ped. I think they didn't see the report that urgent care faxed over, because they acted clueless when I called and then were asking me about what kind of break it was (have guesses thanks to Dr Google but they didn't say) and all. Finally, the nurse was like 'oh, hang on, here's an after-hours report." eyesroll.gif I'll feel better too when we know when she's getting a cast and can get all my questions answered.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 01-12-2012, 12:29 PM
bec

I was thinking some sort of elaborate animal trap or Blair Witch Project sculpture.  So, the poop altar may very well be correct.  I love the divining rod, especially because it finally snowed today!  I can't wait to ask her when she gets home!

Gaye - I would be so frustrated.  I'm glad you called, though!  Hopefully, they will get their act together, and you will licensed soon. 

Jo - I would be so filled with rage at spending so much money on so little education!  Is there any way for you to talk to the teacher or the school?  Would it do any good?

Geo - I really hope they get some good answers or at least a good plan for your DD.  While I totally get the side by side comparing of kids with the testing, it does sound like your DS needs more figuring than the school is admitting.  I remember clearly, going from one meeting to advocate for Emily and how they weren't challenging her enough, to a meeting with Katie where all of the testing looked so dire, but the school was, at the same time saying that we couldn't trust the testing, etc.  Emily is a much more straight forward learner, so in that respect, it was easier to advocate for her.  Katie was and continues to be very complicated.  Every time I think I might have a handle on how she learns best, she changes the rules! 

RR: 5 snowy miles.  It was a tough trail run because the path was frozen with huge tracks and bumps in it from horses, bikes and the like when it was wet and sloshy.  But, after was really just one of those wonderful runner's highs where you totally rewrite the run.  Because we weren't able to get a real long run (no time for RP), we are going after work tomorrow and running 5 at the gym. 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 01-12-2012, 02:11 PM

Jo - Thanks, but I am an imposter. If you decide to pursue an MFA one day, you certainly would not need to have written a novel beforehand for them to want you! By the time you publish this, you will be asked to teach at MFA programs! Too funny about the film crew. We have a lot of that around here. I'm always eyeing the area to see if I notice someone I recognize rolleyes.gif

Real - Dont apologize for being a tiger mom (or sounding like one, which you dont!). I think she has a lot going for her, and some not. Sorry to hear about DD1's arm.

Gaye - Of course you are welcome in my hovel anytime, but it sounds like you have got them going! Fingers crossed

Bec - Divining rod for sure, inaugurating the beginning of health and wellness in your family orngtongue.gif

Geo - I'm confused. You determined that DD does not have learning issues right? And so far she might have mild add issues? What is all the testing/data for? I sure hope it adds up to something!

NRR: Feeling VERY blah, borderline depressed. I dont know wtf is going on. AF came today so I should be rosy, but no.
Off to Tuscon tomorrow night for Divisionals this weekend. I really do get so stressed at those things, and I dont know why. I think I have some ego and/or competitiveness that kicks in and I cant stand not being in control (being the competitor). I dont know. I have to remind myself, she's 9, it's just for fun ... repeat
Must start eating more protein and less chocolate - I dont think that is helping.
Application uploaded.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 01-12-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

Geo - I'm confused. You determined that DD does not have learning issues right? And so far she might have mild add issues? What is all the testing/data for? I sure hope it adds up to something!

DD shows signs of a flavor of dyslexia (dysgraphia -- affecting writing skills), and so she is undergoing a full neuropsych exam.  She's getting the full battery because she's smart enough that she wouldn't look to have a learning disability based on standard (in school) testing.  So, we're in the process of completing that.  In that battery of testing includes ADHD testing.  She bombed one aspect of that assessment.  I'm not convinced she's ADD (though I've certainly wondered at times) and I'm not convinced she's got any LD from the dyslexia family either.  Our testing is still not yet done, and it will be another week or more until I get the report/diagnosis.  For those who were around this time two years ago, DD did a downward spiral then in response to her second year in with the same teacher.  The teacher turned out to have been doing almost nothing for her throughout.  It took until the end of second grade to clue into that fact.

So my sense at this point is that DD suffers from the effects of a very poor experience in 1st and 2nd grade, at a point where her writing and reading skills were so far out of line with one another that it would have required a teacher paying attention.  Her teacher wasn't.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:18 PM

Scroll a little down to "Full Episodes". You will see "season one", 4 parts in reverse order (4,3,2,1), available for 5 more days loveeyes.gif Also part 1 of season 2 at the start of the line-up, but of course you want to watch that last. Hey it's Masterpiece Theater; it's educational lol.gif

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 01-12-2012, 03:20 PM

Geo - I regret that this is your impression of Montessori, but more that this happened anywhere. It boggles me that someone would become a teacher and then let a student flounder disappointed.gif

Old 01-12-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

Geo - I regret that this is your impression of Montessori, but more that this happened anywhere. It boggles me that someone would become a teacher and then let a student flounder disappointed.gif

The biggest issue, as I see it is class size and maybe lack of supervision of the teacher. Hello funding. Yes, no one wants to pay for it, but frankly in a smaller classroom it would be impossible to ignore this issue. I can tell in a COLLEGE classroom the difference between 20 and 30. And most of what we do is on these young adults -- not the teacher.

Turkey pot pie with wild rice and squash. It's what's for dinner.

Two days ago: 45 degrees and considering running in shorts.

Tonight: 12 degrees with a stiff wind off Lake Superior.

I find myself pleasantly surprised I plastik'ed the windows in my study last night.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 01-12-2012, 04:53 PM

And, literally, within 5 minutes of calling and being made eligible, I had my ATT. rolleyes.gif

Scheduled for February 1. I could have scheduled on the 26th in Casper, WY, but really...a four hour drive for 3 business days sooner? Um, no. And of course, almost immediately after scheduling, the HR guy sends out an email saying that it would be ideal if we could test by the 26th. Oh well, I am NOT spending the gas and hotel money (and nanny money) for 3 business days.

Guess I need to start seriously studying now...

Old 01-12-2012, 05:12 PM

Gaye - Good job squeaking the wheel!

I'm just trying to read along and keep up but I spent the day tidying and cooking with little dd and now I feel like nut.gif!  THis child never. stops. talking.  Ever.  She talks to me nonstop but if I ask her to have some quiet time she just pretends one of her dolls is me and continues the conversation. 

I guess this will just have to hold my place for now.  She's still talking to me......

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 01-12-2012, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Nick - I hope everyone is feeling better. I once closed a heavy wooden door on dd's finger when she was 5. How parents can hurt their children on purpose is just so far beyond my understanding hug2.gif

Realrellim - good for you on organizing your yarn. I get that urge every so often too. Most of it lives in the freezer now after one nasty moth incident involving my lone skein of cashmere yarn. Granted that was a few years ago but it works as a storage space! I do have my yarns to sell neatly organized in bins according to which ones have been listed online and which ones still need to be photographed. I should really get on that! I hope dd's arm heals quickly.

tjsmama - losing that first tooth is exciting! I think the tooth fairy has made her last visit to my house. The only teeth left will be wisdom teeth a few years down the road.

Mel38 - I am glad you are happy with the yarn! No yarn is ever too pretty to knit with. It is meant to be enjoyed, knit up and worn out. As much as I love the yarns in my stash I love the yarns I wear on my hands, feet and back more. Have some fun with it and I would love to see pictures!

I am debating about whether to run tonight or not. The temperature is finally supposed to drop tomorrow and as much as I love running in winter weather, my lungs don't always handle the sudden change well. I am very tired tonight but getting out there might be a good idea. As soon as we get enough snow I can start snowshoeing every day. I can't believe we are this far into winter and we still have green grass greensad.gif

Old 01-12-2012, 06:11 PM

Gotta love kids. My youngest has just discovered what awesome farting sounds she can make on her tuba. The dog just ran over to sniff the tuba. The sounds are very realistic.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post
 As much as I love the yarns in my stash I love the yarns I wear on my hands, feet and back more.

Thank you for this lovely reminder!! I will definitely post pics. And on the tuba-farting sounds, my kids would love that.

Oh, Plady, I hope you have a moment of quiet and calm tonight. Chatty kids are so cute but they can drive you batty, can't they?

Geo, I am shocked that the testing is so many hours at once. How is a kid supposed to be able to handle all that at once and stay focused!? I hope this brings you guys some answers and a plan.

Gaye, good job hounding them about that! Sounds like a real bureaucracy. Congrats to Tyler on his first lost tooth! happytears.gif

Real, I'm so sorry to hear about your DD and her arm! That's the pits. Once it stops hurting, she might think the cast is kind of cool. I hope so, at least.

Jo, I am just so sorry to hear that your DD is not liking school. It sounds like the teacher might be in over her head, or at least have a classroom management issue. That's no fun. Are you still considering possibly homeschooling or virtual school?

Sparkle, sorry that you are feeling stressed and down. Maybe once you guys hit the road you will feel better. Best of luck to your DD!

I ran 8 miles yesterday! Well, I ran 4, then did another 4 with walk breaks every 3 minutes. No knee problems! Yippee!

This weekend is the Charleston marathon, and my sister's family will be here. My sister is running it, and it is her first marathon! We will all be there to cheer her on and provide for some roadside entertainment. My oldest DD is volunteering at the marathon, too, first at a water station and then later at the finish line, so I will probably be driving around to get her to where she needs to be. Should be fun!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 01-12-2012, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post

Gotta love kids. My youngest has just discovered what awesome farting sounds she can make on her tuba. The dog just ran over to sniff the tuba. The sounds are very realistic.

ROTFLMAO.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 01-12-2012, 08:07 PM

Okay, so no run tonight. I am already wearing wool from head to toe and crawled into bed with flannel sheets, a duvet, a wool blanket and two quilts. I spotted my full length down jacket across the room and seriously considered getting up to wear it to bed too. I think I might be getting sick.  cold.gif

Old 01-12-2012, 08:38 PM

Lol at the tuba sniffin dog. Whoda thought

Mel, the testing is scheduled in 2hour blocks, planning on multiple breaks. I have to trust the testers when they say they can tell when a kid needs to stop before it affects their ability to perform to their best levels. DD evidently has a huge stamina, so they were going longer between breaks, and just plain running over. She does seem to be able to go forever when it's interesting.

Walked again tonight. Feelin' good.

Winter arrived. cold.gif
Old 01-13-2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

The biggest issue, as I see it is class size and maybe lack of supervision of the teacher. Hello funding. Yes, no one wants to pay for it, but frankly in a smaller classroom it would be impossible to ignore this issue. I can tell in a COLLEGE classroom the difference between 20 and 30.

yeahthat.gif And it's really easy for one or two kids with behavior issues to dominate the classroom. There was a kid like that in R's kindergarten. Actually, I think that kid had just been sent to principal's office when I went to volunteer this morning. And another kid with some speech issues got so frustrated and violent once that the teacher gathered up the entire class and had them all in the hallway where the bathroom is until the principal got there to restrain him (our former principal was 6'7" and made for an excellent "bouncer"). Sure, the ideal teacher can manage all of that, blah blah blah, but when a kid is that big and loud and disruptive, it's going to disrupt class and mean that other kids with unexplained delays and kids who are excelling will not get the attention and individualized learning they need. Period. And the testing process takes time (not to mention meeting with the parents to get them on board with testing, and managing to schedule testing with the overworked school psychologist...) while in the meantime, the kid continues to suck up a lot of the teacher's attention. There's also the reality that while sometimes it's true that throwing more money at the problem doesn't solve it, it's equally true that less money and larger classrooms consistently produce poorer results.

Stepping off my soapbox. It now looks like our district is "only" facing $20-25 million in cuts, as opposed to the previously-forecasted $35 million....

Shanti--that's hysterical about the tuba and the dog.

Mel38--yay for a pain-free 8.

RR: finally got my run in around 10 pm. TM it was, at that hour. Did speedwork, pushed myself hard and maybe that will make tomorrow better.

NRR: finally got the cast scheduled, but not until Tuesday. (!!!!) I was hoping for Saturday or Monday. Anyhow, the radiologist from the urgent care called this evening with their diagnosis of the break (Colles fracture with some angulation). So DH is going to call our pediatrician tomorrow to see if perhaps they can set it in-office after all, the angulation being the issue, I think. If not, we wait out the holiday weekend because apparently pediatric orthos don't work evenings or weekends. eyesroll.gif I could have gotten an appointment tomorrow only if I wanted to pull her out of school--but they kept warning me that there was a good chance they couldn't do anything. Keep in mind that Children's Hospital has not only their main hospital but several outpatient clinics where they can do this, and none of their 7 locations had an opening tomorrow after 2:30. Tomorrow is market day for their economics unit. Everyone made some crafts at home during break and they did stuff to earn money in the classroom and now everyone gets to buy and sell what they made and bring it home. Obviously, everyone is excited about it, so I'm not going to make her miss it and then find out they couldn't do anything yet anyhow. But Tuesday? Geez.

One more question on the cast saga: if they have to do a reduction and use oral sedation, does that mean she'll be out of commission for the rest of the day? The appointment is scheduled for 10:30, but basically I'm wondering whether I'll be able to take her over to my sister's when it's time for me to go teach (~3), or whether DH is going to have to plan on being home with her from mid-afternoon onward.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:47 AM

Ugh, Real. I do hope they can set it before Tuesday. That seems like a long time for 6yo to be extra careful (splinted, slung and tethered? maybe also hobbled?). Especially since the high energy contributed to the accident in the first place. Deep breaths. I'd be fuming. And on school, nod.gif. Dd said her teacher sent her to run something to another 2nd grade class and dd was shocked at how quiet and well-behaved the other room is. I think they got a concentration of problems/issues in a single room, and I don't know what's up on the home end, but I can tell you that the parental example of respect toward...well, anyone, is virtually absent in this country, and so where does a teacher go from there? And obviously in this case, funding itself is not the issue. Profit margins, on the other hand, I'd argue, are the reason schools should be not-for-profit. They function the same as funding constraints, only profit margins are potentially less limited than funding cuts. At least cuts are finite. There's a TA in each class, too. Ack. I'm just sick of the issue. And hoping dh keeps all this in mind for next year.

Shanti, I admit to being totally grossed out by a dog that sniffs a tuba looking for a real fart.

Mel38, sounds like a great run. So glad for no pain!

Geo, so glad you're healing fast. Enjoy the comfy Saucony running. thumb.gif The testing sounds exhausting, physically, mentally and emotionally, so I am glad you will soon have running back.

MelW, I think we can even find Vibrams here, and I'm sure Carrefour has water shoes, but I am actually afraid, especially at my current weight, of running uncushioned on anything other than grass or sand. Maybe in another 10-15 pounds and with even more barefooting. I know I enjoy the barefooting on the beach. Also, people in the ME are really awful about trash in the street.

Plady, mine are blahblah.gif too. I think they sometimes think they aren't speaking when they are. It exhausts me, and after having ds home all week, I am cooked.

Get studying, Gaye! You'll be great. orngbiggrin.gif

Well, I hope I can get out for at least a walk later, but it seems to be hot today (mid-80s). Looks like it will be a lot cooler when my parents come, but I place little stock in Dubai forecasts. They underreport hot weather and overestimate the chance of rain. irked.gif

But I made a perfect couscous for our lunch today, and made plans for another friend to come and see me over the second half of March. joy.gif  She has taken up running and is up to half-distance, so I have a lot to do to prepare. jog.gif Also, today dh got the email stating that the sale with the new buyer was finalized. I'm bawling.gif but at the same time, it kinda takes things off the table, which I guess is liberating in ways I've get to figure out.

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management
User Tag List