Dingos Jogging Into January 2012! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2012, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
grouphug.gif to all those with DH issues. I guess that's a plus to being divorced? Although XH issues are a whole other problem. orngtongue.gif

jo~I'm so sorry about your goat. greensad.gif

nic~Heal quickly!

It's official! I checked my status today and I've been accepted for NYC! joy.gif

I did make it to the Y for spin class this morning, but totally bagged on the run after. I seriously felt hungover this morning when I woke up, I was so tired! From one mellow day of skiing, sheesh! It was not an easy spin class, at least...an hour and 15 minutes, the first hour of which was progressively lengthening sprint intervals, and then followed up by 15 minutes of climbing. Ouch.

Back at home, I really just wanted to take a nap, but we got semi-motivated, and purged toys and cleaned up the toyroom so we could (finally) put the Christmas toys away. Now I just need to find room in the garage for what we purged until I can craigslist/garage sale them. It took a little prying them out of DS's hands, but he was fairly cooperative without TOO much persuasion, for the most part! I'm pretty proud of my kid today! love.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 04:02 AM

Real - that sounds really tough, I wish I could magically make it better.  He really does sound like he's in a defensive place...

Jo - :( so sad about your goat, and that your friend hadn't shared with you.

I was going to post long, but well...ds just got up. So, that's all for now folks.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:13 AM

Hello BBM! I love your running plan and weekly mileage goals.

Nic, ow, how are you feeling today?

Jo, I'm so sorry to hear about your goat. hug2.gif

Gaye, NYC bound! How cool is that?

Real, how's the swelling today? I hope she gets that cast on soon so that things can settle down. I hate those kinds of disagreements. When it's about the kids' health, why not err on the side of caution? My DH can be dismissive like that, too.

The Charleston Marathon was this past weekend, and my sister was in town to run it. The weather was cold (for us) at mid-30s, and warming to mid-40s by finish time. We arrived super early because I had to drop DD off at the first aid station at 6 am to volunteer. That was on King Street, for those of you who know Charleston. My sister and I found an open cafe (Saffron) and sat in there for 45 minutes or so, then headed out to the start line. We separated for a bit, and she ended up in a long line for a very few portapotties (there really could have been double that number, which reminds me to email the race director), so I didn't get to see her off at the start. I walked a few blocks across town to meet up with her after mile 2, then went to pick up the car, drive up the peninsula to meet up with her at mile 7 again. At that point, I had to drive back downtown to pick up DD after the aid station closed and take her to the finish line.

The race route went from downtown straight up to the Park Circle area of North Charleston, then through the Waterfront Park to the old Navy base. It's a strange part of town, very old-industrial, lots of abandoned buildings, or at least abandoned looking. Still, the sun was shining and there were lots of spectators out, so it was very pretty. My whole family was together at this point, together with my BIL, niece, nephew and BIL's parents, and we were at about mile 20 for the marathon, mile 12 for the HM. We had a cowbell, tambourine, maracas... it was fun! The runners really seemed to be happy for the distraction, and laughed at the kids' signs. I would like to post some pictures, but I am not sure about how to link to pics in another application (Flikr?). After seeing my sister pass us at mile 20, we walked over to the finish line and cheered people in the home stretch. My sister's time was 4:04:20, barely over the 4 hours she had hoped to make.

Running is on the docket today. I have a project to finish, and then I'll head out ... lunchtime maybe?

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 AM

Here briefly to say we're back from Tucson, and it was interesting. DD did not make finals by a hair, and I mean that almost literally, so that was hard and sad, but we learned a lot and got started thinking about where she is in her training and where she wants to be and how to make that happen. Its very thought provoking to compete against the girls from Boulder, who dominate my DD's age group. Anyway, lots of philosophical talks about adequate and appropriate training for a 9 year old... the short story is that her team does not really have the resources to support the kind of training she wants to do, so what to do about that...sorting through ideas...

Ill be back later for personals

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 01-16-2012, 08:08 AM

Aww sparkle :(

Jo - Sorry to hear about your goat. I so get it now that we have our own... they are like dogs/cats/pets because they have incredible personalities. :) We have a young one that is a spit fire (Juno) and and mellow mama (Angie) who is oh so sweet.

Gaye - Yay on NYC!

Still fighting the sinus gunk but maybe I can get in a light and easy yoga booty ballet today on our new tv. :P

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 01-16-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, good for your dd though Sparkle. Even though it was disappointing, what a great thing to be able to compete at that level despite your team's lesser resources. 

Mel, I'd love to come back to Charleston to do a race sometime. Dh seriously considered a job there when he was finishing up his residency and we loved the area. 

I am feeling sore and bruised today but ok. Hopefully I can do a run tomorrow (probably the mill as the weather is not supposed to be great this week). I may go to the chiro and get a massage also this week to try and ease things up. Any advice on the very tight right quad? It's twingy. I have a foam roller but don't know what to do with it. redface.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 01-16-2012, 06:40 PM

Just deleted a post!

Nic, there are several youtube foam roller videos that demonstrate it. Good luck!

jo, sorry about your goat hug2.gif

JenLove, hope you're feeling better soon.

sparkle, congrats to your daughter on getting so close, even if she is probably disappointed. I hope it leads you to training that she wants and needs.

gaye, hooray for NYC!!

I'm on day six of twelve consecutive days of work (though many are just an hour or two of student meetings). I survived my first set of rotating 12 hour shifts for maternity orientation (two 12 hour days then two 12 hour nights), though there weren't a lot of babies born. The night shifts went better than expected after more than 6 years and two kids since my last night shift!

I'm a tired today, and extremely frustrated by the grad school applications. My top choice school emailed that my application was incomplete: I hadn't submitted the form and some more supplemental materials that are nowhere on their website and that were not given to me when I emailed asking for clarification about supplemental application materials a couple of months ago. Add to my embarrassment that I wrote the incorrect program name on my application and I needed to be talked down from telling them to cancel my whole application. So now I have until Thursday to get the rest of the info together and not be too invested in the whole process. Everything from my communication with them tells me that I'm not really the kind of applicant that they're looking for (too much clinical and not enough research background), but I had really hoped that my application might convince them otherwise. Now I'm thinking not so much. Add to that my general ambivalence about moving and any upheaval in our lives. I just want my husband to move home and for me to stop being an overworked exhausted solo parent and chill out for a year or two...

ETA: No RR today. Though I could really use it. Friday is my next chance for a run, but bootcamp tomorrow as long as it doesn't snow too much.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 01-16-2012, 07:43 PM
bec

Wow, Mel.  That's quite the schedule!  I hope you get a decompressing run in soon!

Nic - I would just foam roll the crud out of it.  I like to do what my friend calls the "American Pie" maneuver.  blush.gif

Jo - Sorry about the goat.  It's so sad when animals pass.  And to not be told directly is kind of like salt in the wound.

Sparkle - Congrats to your daughter on making it as far as she did!  What an accomplishment!  I would love to get my 6 year old into climbing.

Real - That would irk me too if my DH pulled that crap.  I hope your daughter gets to be casted tomorrow, and she heals quickly!

RR: Tri class tonight.  It was a hill repeat run workout.  3 miles all told, with 5x2minutes at 3%, followed by 3 minutes recovery.  Phew!  Also, it looks like the group half ironman is being discussed.  I'm getting nervous, but almost ready to commit to that this summer.  The only problem right now is that it is pretty expensive.  About $280 with fees and stuff.  So, kind of crazy.  But, I still want to do it! 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:24 PM

sparkle ~ congrats to your DD on a wonderful job at her climbing meet, even if she didn't make it to the finals.  Sounds like some tough competition.

bec ~ do it!!!!  So I can live vicariously through you lol.gif.

real ~ sorry DH is being a jerk.  Seriously....

MelW ~ I hope your wish comes true.  You are working like a madwoman and deserve a break.  Has your DH talked at all about coming home?

Jo ~ sorry to hear about the goat.  They should have told you.

Gaye ~ congrats on the NYC acceptance!!!!

Mel38 ~ the Charleston Marathon sounds lovely, even if the temps were a little brisk.  Your sister had a really good race.  That's a great time for 26.2!

NRR ~ we had a wonderful family day today.  Both the kids and DH had off for the MLK holiday so we headed up to a lake about 25 minutes from here to hike and it was so beautiful.  The temperatures were in the 60s, it was sunny, and the kids had a great time.  We probably only walked about 3 miles at the most, but it was so relaxing and thoroughly enjoyable.  And I can't remember which Dingo mentioned Apples to Apples Junior as a good family game (Geo? kerc?), but we got it last week and the kids LOVE it!  So much fun, and so funny.  I think we've played it every night since Friday when I got it.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 01-16-2012, 10:16 PM

nic~Plop yourself on the roller and roll! orngtongue.gif Seriously, I just lay on the thing on whatever area I want to work on and roll it out. Hips, quads, calves, shins, butt, back...you name it, I've probably rolled it!

sparkle~Sorry your DD just missed the finals, but great job nonetheless!

melw~Get that application done! I bet you'll surprise yourself...you never know exactly what they're looking for, and you could be it!

jaygee~I've looked at Apples to Apples a couple of times, but wasn't sure DS was old enough. How did your DD2 like it?

We spent our day off from school by meeting friends at the indoor jump/bounce place, which was a ZOO. Apparently, this is what everyone does on days off from school. Wow. It was busy, to say the least. There was a 45 minute wait just to get in, but fortunately (for us), the friends we were meeting were about 20 minutes early and got us on the waitlist, and then a ton of people cleared out right before we showed up, so DS and I really only waited about 10 minutes. He had a blast, so I guess it was worth my $7.50 (plus .50 for a game of air hockey).

Another 200 NCLEX review questions done. I swear, this test is going to drive me to the grave. There is simply no way in he!! that it is possible to know all the things that these questions are asking. Like blood levels (to determine toxicity or therapeutic levels) for very specific medications. I mean, really? If I am working with that medication on a regular basis, I'm sure I'll learn it. And if not, then I will look it up, or you know, TALK TO A PHARMACIST. I got a 76 on my last practice exam, and honestly? I was pretty darn happy with that. rolleyes.gif

rr~ An absolutely brutal 4.5 miles this morning. I don't remember having a run where I felt like I was working that hard to run that slow in a looooooong time. Blech. It's time to get my mojo back. Seriously.

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 01-16-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

MelW ~ I hope your wish comes true.  You are working like a madwoman and deserve a break.  Has your DH talked at all about coming home?

His plan is to come home in April. They have offered him another academic year of work (Sept 2012-Apr 2013) there, but I got a pretty big apology over the Christmas holidays and an acknowledgment that taking the job was a big, stupid, unthinking move on his part. The problem remains of both of us having sessional/casual jobs here (after an adult lifetime of permanent and full-time work), but it seems to be a compromise we're willing to live with for the quality of life and closeness to family and lower cost of living of being here vs in the city. I think he's coming around to being less panicked about it all, and willing to let me be the main breadwinner if that's what needs to happen for a short time. Stupid male ego stuff to let go of... That said, I really do want to go back to school at some point, but moving the whole family at this point doesn't really give us the stability that we probably need to get back. My back up plan is to try to get myself to more conferences and more networking and involved with the people who are doing interesting work across the country so I can study some of the stuff I want to without committing to a full-time program right now.

bec, I'm in awe of the half-ironman. I'm in awe even of the fact that you're considering it!

Old 01-17-2012, 03:39 AM

Mel38 - so cool that you could be there cheering for your sis.  I've always dreamed of having someone like that to cheer me at my races...usually I'm by myself though.

Sparkle - that's amazing for your dd, fantastic work.  I'll be curious to hear what she says about what she'd like to do now...

Jen - how was the workout? and the sinuses?

Nic - roll and stretch very gently...If you go into a lunge position and gently lower your front leg, the back quad gets a nice stretch.

MelW - grad school apps suck. Hugs to you. But don't limit yourself, even if you think they think you aren't a good fit.  You never know and if you limit yourself you won't find out.  You may discover after interviews that you hate it and reject them, but you and they may fall in love... btw I really like your signature line (guess what...).

Bec - the cost of the goofy was astronomical, but worth it to do something crazy and hard and challenging.  Sometimes the cost is worth it.  For me I have needed some odd kind of goal to keep at it.  My last was rabbiting for someone who wanted a sub 2:00 half...this was while my hip was still hurting, I hadn't been doing any speed work, and didn't really think I could do that pace (I couldn't, I did a 2:04 or something like that), so I paced her until mile 10 and then told her to go.  It was fun, so different from any other kind of racing I've done.  So, I say go for it!

JayGee that sounds lovely...and now I must look into apples to apples ;)

tjsmama - that sounds brutal

So I got a surprise run in yesterday with a friend for about 5 1/2, but that lets me off the hook for Wednesday when ds has a soccer game and my treadmill is dead, so I really wasn't sure how I was going to make it.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:38 AM

Gaye ~ DD2 needs some help with reading her cards in Apples to Apples, but she loves the concept.  You do need at least 4 people to play though.  It says for ages 9+, but DD1 who is 7 does just fine with it.

MelW ~ at least it sounds like things are moving in a positive direction smile.gif.

RR ~ I took some motivation from Gaye and went to spin class for the first time in about 3 months.  OUCH!  But good, and then went to a 30 minute yoga class afterwards.  This yoga class was way different than the one I took in Bloomington that was so slow, and we took a ton of time holding each posture.  This one moved quickly through a series of different moves, building on the last one each time.  I liked it much, much more.  And as a bonus, now I feel all relaxed and stretched out.

Our lovely 60 degree day yesterday morphed overnight (via massive thunderstorms, hail, and tornado warning sirens) into a chilly 30.  This winter is weird.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:59 AM

jaygee~Yeah, the needing 4 people thing would be kind of a problem most of the time. Maybe we'll hold off for now...

I just got back from having brunch with my senior practicum preceptor. It was nice to get caught up and nice to eat super yummy food at my favorite breakfast spot. Of course, I totally overate, but it's soooooo good that it's practically impossible not to. At least I got a run in, even if it wasn't nearly enough to burn off all the calories I consumed.

I'm starting to have the teeniest bit of luck with craigslist. I have someone coming by tonight to pick up the baby bjorn, and hopefully someone who wants to buy the highchair as well. She offered $5 below my bottom line, so I counter-offered, but given that it's only $5, I'm hopeful that she'll say ok. It only took about 5 tries of listing these items over the past year. rolleyes.gif It does at least give me hope for a couple of bigger ticket items that I'm hoping to get rid of, though!

rr~A quick 30 minutes, since that was all I had time for between dropping DS off at school and my breakfast date. It is COLD out there today. cold.gif I was glad I had my yaktrax on, since the dusting of snow we got last night on top of the ice in lots of spots was a little treacherous. It felt slightly better than yesterday, so that's something, right?

To nap, or to NCLEX, that is the question...

Old 01-17-2012, 12:36 PM

Gaye, I like the way you think about the NCLEX. You're going to have a couple of ridiculously specific nit-picky questions (and because of the adaptive testing can think "that's really hard- it must mean I'm doing well!") and it is NOT worth studying for them. When I wrote the NCLEX I was 5 1/2 years out of school, so decided not to bother re-learning cranial nerve assessment and a few other things. I knew I would probably get one or max 2 cranial nerve questions (I got one), and the hour of memory work didn't seem worth the effort that could have been spent reviewing cardiology/MI stuff that I knew would be more tested and more useful in the long-term. As a perfectionist, it was hard to let go of not knowing *everything* the way I did when I wrote my original licensing exam here in Canada, but with a 10 month old at home it was easier to try to embrace my inner slacker. I love my inner slacker. She's the one who taught me that I don't need to fold laundry this week 2whistle.gif

BBM, my sig is a quote from my oldest daughter when she was three. I still think it's pretty wonderful!

JayGee, yoga to follow spin class sounds like a great strategy!

NRR- Because of the website mistake, they're letting me fax in supplemental materials so they can get there before Friday when the applications will be reviewed. Big sigh of relief, since I can't get a letter by courier from our village to Halifax in time. Now off to work to do midterm evaluations for my students.

RR- Bootcamp tonight. I need it!!

Old 01-17-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

JayGee, thank you! luxlove.gif

I'm in a dark place right now mamas. Sad, sick, sore from my fall, and with round-robin sick kiddos. Bring on the caffix.gif. No run for me today, I can barely get off the chair.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 01-17-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
I'm in a dark place right now mamas. Sad, sick, sore from my fall, and with round-robin sick kiddos. Bring on the caffix.gif. No run for me today, I can barely get off the chair.

Do you have clementines and chocolate? If not, bundle those babies up and go get some. Lentil soup or not....

Myself: last night I set an alarm to run early. Laid out clothes. Plans to run 2 miles, nothing huge. Then made the mistake of watching the 11 o clock news (on at 10 here in the central time zone).  The weather guy told me that the low of the day would come at 6 am (which is when my alarm was set for). Dickered around enough to debate getting up/not getting up. Decided to sleep the extra 15 minutes. So no run.

But laid out a training schedule with my rp.

Apples to apples: my kindergartner LOVES it. But of course doesn't "get" it all that well. We played last night as a family -- not as much fun without other people around.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 01-17-2012, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

Do you have clementines and chocolate? If not, bundle those babies up and go get some. Lentil soup or not....

As a matter of fact, I do have two clementines left and a bar of dark chocolate with coconut in it that I bought at WF last week and hid somewhere... think I should go find that right now.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:39 PM

Jo - I'm so sorry about your goat.  I had the same thing happen with the crested caracara we entrusted to a friend in Mexico when we left.  I still don't know the full story but I saw the guy's daughter in town when we visited and asked how 'our' bird was and she just shrugged and then said, 'Oh, I think that thing died."  In front of the kids too.  Wah.  Sorry about Reb not making her trip too, that sucks!  I was down by SeaTac yesterday and noticed that starting March 1 Emirates is flying direct to Dubai.  Made me think.

Nic - Enjoy the chocolate.  grouphug.gif

JenLove - Hope you're feeling better soon.

I'm sorry not to be fully caught up.  We spent Sun/Mon in Seattle so dd and I could see West Side Story.  It was amazing and inspiring and as good as I'd hoped it would be.  Whew!  Then we spent Monday trolling our favorite thrift stores which were having amazing sales.  I got a pair of awesome Rollerblades in great condition, complete set of crash pads, and roller skates for dd1 who didn't have any.  I also found a fancy new toaster that matches my kitchen, a corded mouse to replace my battery sucking one, dh got a 5 cd changer and a receiver so we've been dancing around to all our ancient cds that we haven't had equipment to really enjoy since we lived in Mexico, we also got a skateboard for dd1 and we all found some nice clothes for .99 a pop.  We got to eat at my favorite Vietnamese dive with the best best noodle bowls.  We didn't have a snowstorm to drive through on the trip north and then home on the late ferry playing crazy eights and enjoying the Magic Eye book we found and I *finally* figured out how to see.  A great day. 

RR: We got just enough snow that I had kids home when I should have been boxing and I never fit in the workout for the rest of the day.  So this week is off to a slow start and I'm already down two workout days but tomorrow, no matter what I'm lifting weights.  So there.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 01-18-2012, 03:32 AM

MelW - that's great that they are allowing you to turn stuff in still. Yay!

JayGee - it has been a weird winter!  We track temps for school and we have the "average" area highlighted...we are often above or below.

Nic - I'm sorry mama, did the clementines and chocolate at least take some of the edge off?  Good music is good too...better, have your kids have a joke contest...who can make mama spit coffee out her nose laughing.

Plady - Score! I'm envious! I love thrift stores, I cannot imagine buying clothes new now, unless they are seriously on sale.

Normally I run Wed, but I did Mon to make up for it...so I have this weird guilt/relief thing going on... ;)

Hope all can find peace and a little laughter for the day... stillheart.gif

Old 01-18-2012, 06:58 AM
bec

Nic - grouphug.gif  Just know your Dingos are holding you in love!  Try the chocolate.  It really does help.

I've been a little frustrated with my own DH.  I know he is in pain, I know he is tired and not sleeping,  I know he is still in shock from his medical news, I even know he is feeling a little run down from starting South Beach and the lack of carbs.  I get it.  I really do.  But, he has got to step up soon!  It's really not fair that I have a job (yes, I know part time, but still), and still have to deal with all of the house, all of the kids' stuff (yes, keeping track of when their dance classes are is part of that!), all the cooking, all the dogs, etc.  It must be nice to just go to work and be able to come home and focus completely on yourself!  My latest gripe was yesterday.  I was called in a couple hours earlier than scheduled so they could get some electrical work done in the store (there is a company policy that two employees must be present at all times).  So, I arranged for the kids to have early morning care (because DH had to leave before 7, as did I), and told him that I would need help getting them ready in the morning.  I went over our morning routine, and we split up the duties.  I had made the lunches the night before, but I needed him to get the kids breakfast, and put ice packs in their lunches, and drop them off at their respective places.  He was still in the shower taking much longer than he said he would, so in order for the kids to have time to eat, I made them breakfast, then got their lunches ready, and then dropped 2 of the kids off, leaving him to just get Katie off to the school!  I would have just let him deal with it, but the consequence would have been that they would have had about 4 minutes to eat breakfast, and then they would have been hollared at.  Not fair to them.  Definitely not fair to me.  So, I go to work for 6.5 hours (again, I know, not a ton, but I was on my feet the entire time), come home in time to get kids off the bus.  A lot of driving around, dropping one off at a play date, then going back to meet the others, taking them to the same friend (siblings of the same ages as my kids), and drop them there, so I can go to the store, come get them, only to deal with my 6 year old complaining to me that we were going to have to miss gym night (held at 5:30 for half an hour!), trying to figure a plan to make that up to her (Wii before dinner and Jello after did the trick), then back home to cook dinner (which, because of south beach, means actual cooking and thinking. No throwing a pizza in the oven).  Oh, but I had to do the dishes and clean the kitchen first so I could cook.  Arggh!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:59 AM

I didn't workout yesterday or the day before - I felt horrible.  Just tired and wondering if working out would make me feel better or a lot worse.  I was afraid of needing of nap, so I opted out of working out.  Yesterday I actually sat around most of the mid-day watching a movie.  That's unheard of!

Hoping today to break in my TV with a workout.  Really.  I feel rested, finally.

To all the Dingos who need love and patience with their DH's - ((hugs))

I gotta run here.  Finish up homeschool, breakfast, then off to town for errands for the week.....

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 01-18-2012, 09:15 AM

kerc ~ a giant thank you for pinning this awesome NPR workout mix on Pinterest!  Also makes great kitchen-cleaning music orngbiggrin.gif!

Nic, bec, and all other Dingos having spousular issues ~ grouphug.gif  and lots of thoughts coming your way today.  Virtual chocolate and clementines too.

RR ~ swimming at noon!  First time back in the pool since summer sometime, so it won't be pretty, but I'm actually looking forward to some relaxing time in the pool.

NRR ~ aside from jamming out while cleaning my kitchen, not much lol.gif.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas. Keep the love and light coming, I so need it.

Turns out 4 out of 4 "B's" surveyed (last name) have strep, including me. (Dh would not get tested. eyesroll.gif)

So, although the abx will do a number on my stomach I am hopeful we'll all be feeling better soon.

I don't think a run or any fm yet today...possibly.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:23 AM

Bec...can I just say...grrrr, that irks me beyond measure when my dh does that.  I will say in his defense he isn't always like that.  TG.

Nic - you know I'm always thinking of you, you will find yourself on the other side and it will be okay, whatever that may look like.

Jen - hopefully you feel better soon and are up to fm.

Taking a break from school. Trying something new.  I made a list of all that had to be done for the week and then a couple of suggestions followed by letting dd choose.  We still seem to struggle so often, I wish it were easier.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:22 PM

cycling class done.

whew.

darn cold out there.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 01-18-2012, 12:46 PM

Nic -- goodvibes.gif and hug.gif

tjsmama--yay for NYC!

Mel38--congrats to your sister on the marathon with a fab time!

sparkle--sorry she didn't make it. That's so hard.

MelW--I hope you're able to find some direction all that. I wish you could be adequately supported by your husband and just chill out for a couple of years too.

I'm missing a bunch of people, sorry!

R did get her cast yesterday and it went much easier than I'd expected. They didn't need to do oral sedation or IV pain meds, thank goodness! She'll be in a long-arm cast for 3-4 weeks and then she can move down to a short-arm cast. She'll be able to play her violin with that one, which is good news.

Classes started yesterday too, so it was a busy day.

And in funny news, I decided to use up the last box of henna-based hair color I had, to get it out of the closet if nothing else. Well, apparently I missed getting the henna on the grey in a few spots, so when I did step two--the step that turns all the reddish henna into a brownish color, the grey that got missed turned sort of forest green. It's fairly subtle and only in a few spots, but I was not thrilled to be teaching with a green tint. It's the third time I've tried it and always thought I saw some green before but was imagining it. Nope, not so much. lol.gif No more henna for me. I'm not sure if I'll be happy with the grey or try another non-henna box. And honestly, my biggest problem is that I look like I haven't slept in a week. I'd like to remedy that tonight, except that I also want to run and try to finish the stole I've been knitting forever and finish posting Christmas pictures and finish posting a few detail to the class website....

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 01-18-2012, 01:16 PM

Jo - Im so sorry about your goat hug.gif How are things progressing w/ Dh?

Bec - I could quote verbatim from your description. It's so hard to be the domestic manager sometimes, especially with 4 kids winky.gifirked.gif

Real - Oh no on the hair! blush.gif and lol.gif Glad the cast went better than expected

Nic - Feel better soon! Try to take some probiotics if you have them, 2 hours after doses of penicillan, On the upside, it is a narrow spectrum abx, so hopefully wont cause too much damage/discomfort redface.gif

Jenlove - glad you had a rest day thumb.gif

Gaye - joy.gif for NYC

NRR: I am so in a weird funk these days. I think its the January blues... I hope it fades as spring approaches. In the meantime, I am bored, directionless, unmotivated, uninspired... I cant figure it out. Instead, I am fixating on my DD's climbing, for lack of my own direction, and that has raised all kinds of philosophical/parenting questions, as well as life questions for me. Nothing new; a review of ongoing questions. Bleh. Im sure exercise would help. So why dont I?!

RR: Hike yesterday for 1 1/2 hours with a friend. It was so nice to be outside using my body. And yet I dont get off my duff and get the ball rolling. Wtf

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 01-18-2012, 02:03 PM

Swam 1500 yards.  I'm embarassed to admit that it took almost 45 minutes.  That's what you get when you take 4 months off from swimming.  On a positive note, I really enjoyed it!

sparkle ~ winter does that, no matter where you live.  Your hike sounds good though.  I'm trying to come up with a good cycling goal for this summer.  Number of miles?  Long race or touring ride?  Still unsure, but I want to do something in that vein.

Jo ~ I read on FB about Reb being unable to come and my heart just broke for you.  I'm so sorry, but I hope you're having a fabulous visit with your parents grouphug.gif.

Real ~ lol.gif about the green hair!  I've never tried henna.  Don't think I will now....  Glad your DD got her cast and didn't need any pain meds.  Lots of healing vibes coming her way.

BBM ~ hope your school plan worked well today.

I just got fish for tonight's dinner.  Holy $$$$ batman!  Four pieces of tilapia for $17.75?!  I almost made her put it back.  The family better like it.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:39 PM

Thanks JG, I forgot you are my cycling buddy! That helps orngbiggrin.gif

I henna'd my hair in high school, reddish/auburn (Im blond). I didnt like it, and even worse, I had stained my claw-foot bath-tub with the henna (I tried everything to get it off). My older brother suggested Tidy Bowl headscratch.gif and sure enough, it worked, soooooo, I used it on my hair, and the red came out! Then my friends started calling me Tidy-Bowl head, Needless to say, I wasnt hanging out with the smartest crew freshman year shake.gif

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management
User Tag List