Computerized fitness tracking you can do with a friend? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-02-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A friend and I made a New Year's agreement that we will each do at least three aerobic workouts for a minimum of 20 minutes each from now until Easter (it's actually a bet to motivate each other).  We did this a few years ago and just e-mailed each other back and forth, but does anyone know of something that exists or something that we could set up to track workouts to be accountable to each other? (of course we want it to be on-line and free; I don't want to pay a membership or fee).  I think Shape magazine used to have something, but I don't see it anymore.  Any ideas?

#2 of 5 Old 01-19-2012, 08:42 AM

Bump. I'm looking for the same thing.

Kim, wife to my best friend and high school sweetheart. :
Mom to DD1 (2/06) : and DD2 (6/09) :
#3 of 5 Old 01-19-2012, 11:25 AM

sparkpeople or my fitness pal? I'm not very familiar with either, but think they have activity tracking and diet tracking, etc.

Good luck!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#4 of 5 Old 01-25-2012, 07:54 PM

I use myfitnesspal because it has a well-integrated (FREE) mobile app, too. You and your friend can just "friend" each other there (or start a group if you want to have more dialogue) and you'll be able to see each other's activities. 

I've found it to be super-helpful for my own goals. (Speaking of, you set your goals for weight loss/calories, nutrients, and a few different exercise goals. When you do your tracking, it tells you where you are in comparison to your goals--they're not just floating around somewhere to be forgotten, but there every day.)

eta, I haven't used sparkpeople for maybe a year and a half, but I didn't find it anywhere near as user-friendly and EASY for food diary stuff as MFP.

~Rae
homebirthing, homeschooling, natural parenting, attached mama to  treehugger.gifDS1(3/05)  kid.gifDS2(3/08)   rainbow1284.gifboc.gifDD (12/12)

#5 of 5 Old 01-28-2012, 03:28 PM

I second My Fitness Pal. Love it! I use the online version and the app for my phone. It can track all your food plus any and all workouts. Great way to keep up with all of your goals.

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page