Body Odor/Deodorant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 01-26-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I go to Zumba 3x per week. I've run and done strength training, but I've never done anything as "full body" intense as Zumba. By about halfway through the class, I...stink. There's no other word for it. I've tried showering just before I go and putting deodorant on again just out of the car. I use a run-of-the-mill deodorant, but I obviously need something more. Any suggestions on what to use?

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#2 of 23 Old 01-26-2012, 01:50 PM

I use the aluminum free deodorant from trader joes and find that it works really well. I was surprised to discover that it works better than anything else I've tried!

#3 of 23 Old 01-26-2012, 02:08 PM

I've found that some chemical or other in deodorant mixes with my sweat and causes me to stink WORSE when I sweat than if I had just skipped it altogether. I used to think I needed more and more powerful deodorants - and certainly antiperspirants were better at odor control because it slowed the mixture of sweat with the chemicals.

The best deodorant I've ever used, hands down, is a mixture of coconut oil and baking soda. I'm not talking about "it's so crunchy to use this natural stuff and you only smell a little musky, just cover that up with patchouli." I'm talking about no odor whatsoever, other than a very mild hint of coconut.

I've only been using this for about 6 months, so the last time I took a business trip (about a month and a half ago), that was the big test for me. Something about work clothes plus air-conditioned offices makes me sweat, and I always had to struggle with it back when I worked in a more formal office. But I took this business trip, I used baking soda and coconut oil, and I didn't smell at all.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#4 of 23 Old 01-26-2012, 07:40 PM

I have tried a lot of different deodorants too.  I have one that makes me smell SO BAD.  

The best for me is Tom's of Maine (lavender, I think).  I can't stand super perfumey smells, so it's perfect for me.  And I don't stink, which is perfect for everyone else.

#5 of 23 Old 05-03-2012, 08:59 AM

I work in a hot environment (I'm a chef in a cafe in Southern Arizona), so I can sweat a lot. Out of consideration for my co-workers, I started using anti-perspirant when I work. Otherwise, the only natural deodorant that works for me (and I've tried many brands) is Weleda's deodorant. I use the wild rose one because I love the smell, but they also have a citrus and a sage scented one. It's expensive, but for me it lasts a long time. It's also very high quality. Most larger health food stores and some smaller ones carry it.

#6 of 23 Old 06-05-2012, 02:20 PM

I am very anal when it comes to body odor and have struggled with it.  From time to time you may have to switch what you use and that is OK. Now that there is clinical strength in several different brands you can try that..... I have done this with mixed results.  The best item I have used is deodorant by DKNY, I believe there are two different scents. 

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.
#7 of 23 Old 06-05-2012, 04:54 PM

I've heard of a lot of people having luck with just using baking soda. It's on my list to transition to as soon as my current deodorant runs out. :)

Does anyone have experience with liquid chlorophyll? I've read recently that it's supposed to help eliminate body odor.

#8 of 23 Old 06-05-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

I've found that some chemical or other in deodorant mixes with my sweat and causes me to stink WORSE when I sweat than if I had just skipped it altogether. I used to think I needed more and more powerful deodorants - and certainly antiperspirants were better at odor control because it slowed the mixture of sweat with the chemicals.

The best deodorant I've ever used, hands down, is a mixture of coconut oil and baking soda. I'm not talking about "it's so crunchy to use this natural stuff and you only smell a little musky, just cover that up with patchouli." I'm talking about no odor whatsoever, other than a very mild hint of coconut.

I've only been using this for about 6 months, so the last time I took a business trip (about a month and a half ago), that was the big test for me. Something about work clothes plus air-conditioned offices makes me sweat, and I always had to struggle with it back when I worked in a more formal office. But I took this business trip, I used baking soda and coconut oil, and I didn't smell at all.

I am a HEAVY sweater. I heartily second the coconut oil and baking soda- I don't even miss the antiperspirant part from traditional deodorants! I also added in corn starch and tea tree oil, and that works well too.

Mama to Iris (01/10) and Gus (08/13)
angel.gifangel.gifangel.gifangel.gifangel.gif
#9 of 23 Old 06-08-2012, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm interested in the coconut oil/baking soda concoction. How do you store and apply it? How thick do you mix it? And can you use other oils? I have a strong dislike for the smell of coconut and am fairly sensitive to it.

K and B, happily married partners.gif since 2005 and proud parents of one rambunctious C-monster babyf.gif
#10 of 23 Old 06-09-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimble View Post

I'm interested in the coconut oil/baking soda concoction. How do you store and apply it? How thick do you mix it? And can you use other oils? I have a strong dislike for the smell of coconut and am fairly sensitive to it.

Storage - I put mine in a little plastic container with a lid.

Application - I take a pinch of it out with my thumb and forefinger and smear it around on my armpit with my hand. Coconut oil is solid at cooler temperatures and liquid at warmer temperatures - don't quote me on the exact temperatures, but around 70F(ish) it gets very soft and around 80F(ish) it is pretty liquid. Below 70F(ish) it's pretty solid but you can still pinch it. The room temperature doesn't matter much, though, because once you put it on your skin it will melt anyway and absorb into your skin. It doesn't drip or anything (unless you put way too much on I guess), it just absorbs, the way a lotion might.

Mixture - I don't measure, but it seems I do about equal parts oil and baking soda, or you could do equal parts oil, baking soda and corn starch. It's not a super picky recipe. You do want to get at least as much or more baking soda in as coconut oil, that's all I can really say.

Other oils - I'm thinking palm oil would be your next best bet. Something saturated yet plant-based. Also, for what it's worth, coconut oil is only lightly scented, but if you don't like it, then you won't like the light scent either. But just wanted to say that for anyone who thought they were going to smell like a giant coconut, it's really very light. In fact some people add a drop or two of some essential oil (I don't).

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#11 of 23 Old 06-09-2012, 07:46 AM

Another idea is to buy some refined (as opposed to cold filtered extra-virgin) coconut oil- it has no odor at all, while still keeping many of the antibacterial properties of coconut oil. Bonus- refined costs less than extra-virgin.

#12 of 23 Old 06-10-2012, 09:04 PM

I'm excited about this coconut oil/baking soda combination......I always have both of those on hand, I'm totally trying it!  Thanks!

#13 of 23 Old 06-11-2012, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoffeebean View Post

Another idea is to buy some refined (as opposed to cold filtered extra-virgin) coconut oil- it has no odor at all, while still keeping many of the antibacterial properties of coconut oil. Bonus- refined costs less than extra-virgin.

Sounds like that would work for me. I'll check out our local HF store and see if they have some refined. Is that a good place to find it?

K and B, happily married partners.gif since 2005 and proud parents of one rambunctious C-monster babyf.gif
#14 of 23 Old 06-13-2012, 02:50 AM

nice and informative thread.
Surfacing likes this.
#15 of 23 Old 06-14-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:

Sounds like that would work for me. I'll check out our local HF store and see if they have some refined. Is that a good place to find it?

Yes! And you may even find it in the regular baking aisle at your grocery store. Spectrum brand has a refined coconut oil that works really well.

#16 of 23 Old 06-19-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoffeebean View Post

I am a HEAVY sweater. I heartily second the coconut oil and baking soda- I don't even miss the antiperspirant part from traditional deodorants! I also added in corn starch and tea tree oil, and that works well too.

Any chance you'd share your "recipe"? I'm also a heavy sweater, which has been the main reason I've stayed away from DIY deodorants.

Beth - blissfully married to Doug. DS - Liam (5/10) nocirc.gif &  Darcy (2/13). homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpgNew SAHM & Labor Doula.

babygirl.gif Welcome baby girl! Born at home, in the water, in the caul, and caught by daddy. February 24, 2013!  babygirl.gif

#17 of 23 Old 06-22-2012, 05:48 AM

This is the deo recipe I use. I use arrowroot instead of cornstarch and skip the probiotic capsule. I add about 15 drops of lemongrass eo and 10 drops of tto. It lasts about 12 hours for me. There may be a few seconds of stink but it is quickly absorbed. There was also a bit of an adjustment period for me, maybe a week, where I sometimes smelled funky.

http://frugallysustainable.com/2011/11/homemade-probiotic-deodorant-that/

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#18 of 23 Old 06-22-2012, 03:48 PM

I started using the coconut oil/baking soda deoderant this week and I've been amazed at how well it works!  It's better at controlling odor than most sold in the store.  Thank you for suggesting it.

One tip for the OP:  I get rather stinky when I work out and something I've found that helps is to spray my workout clothes right after taking them off with a rubbing alcohol spray (1 part alcohol, 4 parts water).  This helps prevent the stinky bacteria from staying in your clothing and multiplying while in your hamper which is difficult to wash out if it's left to sit for any amount of time.  This has helped with DH's workout clothes too which were getting really gross!

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#19 of 23 Old 06-27-2012, 06:02 PM

The refined coconut oil doesn't smell like coconut but I also don't think it works as well. And I had to stop using the co/baking soda deodorant (loved it!) b/c the bs burned my skin making it peel off. Regular deodorant does that to me too. So I'm still looking for the silver bullet.

Mom to three crazy boys, a roly poly baby boy, and one on the way! stork-boy.gif

#20 of 23 Old 06-27-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:

I've been using baking soda/corn starch/coconut oil for probably a year and a half now and I LOVE it, definitely works better than anything else I've tried, including the main store brands.  There have been times, especially when I've been sick, that I've gone three days without showering, gotten sweaty and gross, and no smell whatsoever!  

I keep mine in a little hair product container, like a pot with a screw top, and right now I have excess from my last batch in a little container I use for ds's lunches.  You can mix it to any consistency you want, but you probably don't want it all drippy.  I usually start with a little oil in a bowl and mix in corn starch and baking soda in equal parts (I think baking soda can be a little irritating for some people, but you don't need much so the corn starch helps with texture).  I've used both virgin and the non-coconutsmelling stuff and both worked fine for me.  When I use the non-smelly stuff, I throw in some grapefruit eo.  

I love how economical this is, too!

eta:  also love it that I don't need to worry about this stuff near my nursling.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#21 of 23 Old 08-03-2012, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I heard on Dr. Oz (not really a fan lol) that splashing a bit of apple cider vinegar in your pits after a shower helps to change the pH so that bacteria can't cause odor.  I have yet to try this but I want to.  He promised you wouldn't smell like a salad all day.  I am skeptical but figured it couldn't hurt to throw it out there winky.gif

Mama to my angel baby Drew (9/22/06), Alexia (10/26/11) , and hoping for a in 3/2015!!

#22 of 23 Old 08-12-2013, 03:54 AM

When I got pregnant the first time around, I figured it was as good a time as ever to start using an all-natural deodorant. I like to rely on referrals from people I trust, and Lavilin was a brand that was consistently recommended by friends, both male and female. So I gave it a shot, and it's been absolutely fantastic. I use it twice a week, as do my children. Couldn't be happier.

#23 of 23 Old 08-12-2013, 06:37 AM

I have found that using only baking soda with coconut oil irritates the skin. It starts peeling and getting red all the time. So I have ben experimenting. So far, the best mix has been coconut oil, baking soda, kaolin clay, oregon grape root powder, and essential oil of lemon or lavender.

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

Tags
Fitness , Toms Of Maine , Toms Of Maine Natural Deodorant

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page