Dingoes Defy the February Slump: Keep Running, Mamas - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-22-2012, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Gaye, on the bright side, you should be through the HR end of things now for a good, long time. Except, of course, the annual benefits meetings that are so fun, and whatever else your employer likes to have HR meetings for.

MelW, I think your plan sounds well-reasoned, open-minded and positive, and I hope it pays off in spades for you and your family's benefit.

mommajb, how are you doing, mama?

So, after mistakenly baking two cakes yesterday, I managed to bake the 40+ brownies I sent for the food festival (which is tomorrow). Envision me, taking a big bite of brownie...and then spitting it out. I swear something about the sugary taste in my mouth triggered that head-buzzy feeling I knew I could anticipate if I ate it, so out it came. eyesroll.gif

Ds's teacher emailed me yesterday to invite me along as a chaperone for the desert overnight next week, and dh said he'd do what needs to be done so I can go. (Meet dd's bus and get her on the AM bus the next day, in a nutshell.) Woot! Should be fun. Dd is totally jealous, of course.

And on the school front, I think it might be over. I think the conversation is done, and it looks like we are giving it a shot. I need to make a list of anticipated associated costs (materials outside what is provided by the school, field trip costs, computer, etc.). We're now officially getting ready to dive into the planning for next year, and school is just one facet. One thing that makes me joy.gif is that the online choice gives me such better agility in case we need to make any kind of mid-year pivot. School comes along.

RR: A truly excellent 4.25 on the beach yesterday, plus two bike trips to the grocery store because I am an idiot who chose not to read packaging until two cakes had been baked. Legs are remarkably not sore, but calves are a little spastic today. I think borrowing dd's ipod makes a huge difference. I really do enjoy the run with a little music. I think today I will go back to the beach and just see what happens. I am thinking about an early(ish) "long" run on the park track tomorrow (shoot for 13km or so), because there's almost no traffic Friday mornings and the air should be OK. So, easy cardio today, plus my ab and arm stuff, and lots of calf stretching. Scale is not yet my friend, but muscles are waking up. thumb.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 PM

mommajb, ditto to jo's hoping you're doing okay. Thinking of you...

jo, joy.giffor the resolution of the great school debate. May the online schooling be productive and positive for your entire family. And enjoy your desert camping trip chaperoning!

Shanti, wishing you nocturnal children, a quiet husband, several full uninterrupted nights sleep and productive child-free days. You deserve it!

bec, the family 5k sounds fun! We did a Jinglebell run as a family in December, but DH ran the 7k loop and I did the 3k with the girls (the youngest in the stroller, with bribes to stay there). It was so fun to do as a family.

Gaye, enjoy clinical orientation. Congrats on running despite early starts.

Thanks for all of the support for my plan. I should have mentioned that the final decision happened during the run with my husband this morning. These forests have answers to so many of my life questions over the past couple of years. treehugger.gif

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 02-23-2012, 05:50 AM
bec

Jo - Woot!!!!  I'm excited for you for your school prospects for next year!  And you are so rocking the mileage lately!! 

Mel - It is amazing how the answers just come on a run, isn't it? 

NRR:  I have to clean my house, because we are having my daughter's very first Daisy troop meeting here on Friday!  I'm excited to get these little ones going on Girl Scouts.  Abby is totally excited.  She's been watching her sisters be in GS since she was a baby.  All the girls went to a World Thinking Day event last night, so it was a good kickoff for her.

RR: I don't know.  I need to do something today besides housework.  Maybe a run, maybe a bike ride (if it is warm enough).  Maybe a swim.  But, AF started today, so I am fighting with a lack of gumption. 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:11 AM

Jo - fantastic, it really does open up flexibilty.

MelW - beautiful. I love that you get to run with your dh

Slow school day today, per dd's request.  She feels like we're always rushing.  She's right.

Okay so those who do piano maybe you can tell me what you think. I can't tell if dd's teacher thinks she's really good and so gives her a lot of work to do each week, or if it's the norm.  She will be playing a year in June, she usually gets anywhere from 3 to 7 new songs each week, average around 4 or 5.  What's typical?  She practices around 20 minutes a day, has better lessons when she gets in closer to 30 - 40 minutes a day broken up.  But what's expected?  How much would a third grader/9 y.o. practice realistically?

Old 02-23-2012, 08:33 AM

Jo, woot! So happy for you that you got this resolved. May it bring you the flexibility and blessings you need to live your life in your own direction. blowkiss.gif

Shanti, I hope you got a decent night's sleep last night!

Oy I forgot all the other personals I had. Sorry! bag.gif

RR: Awesome, great, terrific, and sorely needed hilly 6 miler today. The weather is divine (mid 40's, no wind) and I had my magic tights on (luxlove.gif JayGee). Hit the sweet spot today. 

The van is back, having had a fuel emissions malfunction (read: gas cap issue) that thankfully was covered by warranty. Phew. Nephew is feeling better. My head cold is still around but so far today not too annoying. I have had my run, my shower, my breakfast, and my coffee. I am with my SIL who is my best friend in the universe. My parents, thankfully, are not coming for a visit today (yesterday they did...I love them dearly but they stress me out). Things are looking up. smile.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 02-23-2012, 08:49 AM

Secret Sprinter came!!! Yay! Coffee, reading and lip balm (that all the family had to try immediately - Awesome!) :D  Thank you SS. 

Old 02-23-2012, 09:14 AM

Thanks for asking ladies. To be honest I am tired of hanging on hoping things change for the better. They don't so I need to get acclimated to the new normal.

In other news we tried a new omega 3 supplement, Carlson's bursting orange, ds2 loved it to the point of giggling. dd3 is never going to chew it again, dd2 can't remember how it was different. (gummy vs oily gel capsule, really?) I have guilt over not telling dd2 it is fish as she is adamantly vegetarian.

I ran the same 3 miles this morning with dh and have lost the same 5 pounds again. eyesroll.gif

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:17 AM

Hang in there Mommajb. I understand where you are (at least I think I do). No words of wisdom as I also suppose I have to acclimate to the 'new normal' but it is really hard.

So, Plady, just wanted to give you a lift this morning...my SIL was looking at my facebook page and saw your photo and said, "wow, what a beautiful woman." 

I said true, and not only on the outside! She's a dingo, after all! love.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 02-23-2012, 10:19 AM

MelW - That sounds like a solid, grounded, sustainable plan with a lot of potential. Glad you and Dh are resolving your issues, and that our hip is staying strong wink1.gif

Jo - joy.gif What a relief that must be, a load off! Now the pounds will follow

Mamajb - Do you have any social setting where you could connect? Maybe a running group (i know you tried that, I think), maybe taking a class? It sure seems like you are the back-bone for 6 people and I wonder where you are supported? Morning runs are great, but not enough redface.gif I hope to be there early summer. How about a nice long hike?

Nic - hooray on the 6 miles.

Shanti - goodvibes.gif for sleep and general restoration. I like the idea of a hotel room alone for you.

Bec - I missed saying WOOT! about the half-Ironman! I cant wait to hear. You are a strong woman. So glad you dh is rallying around the new health regime orngbiggrin.gif

RR: weight circuit yesterday. Felt ok, but weak weak weak, and fatty. Bleh. Need some interval training to get lean again, but too weak and wobbly to push that hard just now. Still, it felt good. Im plenty sore today. Hoping to get out for a nice long walk with the dog and get rid of some of this lactic acid

NRR; Been on the computer for 2 hours this morning dealing with the grant I'm writing (school volunteering), the commitees I'm on (climbing team volunteering), and scheduling my kids lives (Spring break is in 10 days, soccer season is starting up again, etc)
Been feeling pretty ambivalent about school. Not a new emotion (ennui much), but frustrating. Trying to figure things out. Had an interesting convo on the bike at the gym 2 days ago with a guy I met (and mentioned to y'all) in Sept. who started a charter high school several years ago.... Anyway, this time, he was next to me on the bikes again and I introduced myself and told him I read the charter and was very impressed (true), so we talked for awhile about teaching and the school and that the school is expanding Fall 2013 and they'll be hiring and they wouldnt care about my 10 year break and how several of their teachers graduated from my alma mater, including the head of the English dept. So that helped with the ennui... still trying to figure out what has meaning in life....

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 02-23-2012, 11:30 AM

tjsmama--fwiw, we went with the high-deductible PPO plan. I think it's cheaper, even if you are hitting the $3000 deductible (as we just did for the third time in seven years thanks to R's broken arm). Mentally it's more difficult because you pay larger bills (say $80 for a dr's appointment when sick as opposed to a copay of $10-20), but I think it still worked out to be cheaper than paying a lot of money for one of the other plans. When we made the decision, it was 2005 and the deductible was higher (more like $5000 with a $10,000 ceiling), and we'd just had R and seen our (awesome) insurance completely cover the $24k in hospital bills (the NICU was $16k alone) without having to pay a cent. When we compared the same scenario with the high-deductible PPO vs the other plans, the high-deductible came out cheapest. Go figure. And yet, I cringe every month I fork over another $150 for an inhaler. (That's how I know we hit our deductible again this year. I filled the prescription yesterday and they told me $31. I thought, ah, the 20/80 part has kicked in. Guess I'll try to squeeze in a few extra refills before the new plan year starts in July....)

Nick--hope you all stay healthy despite the surrounding germs.

kerc--may the cut on your finger heal quickly and the bugs stay far far away.

Lots and lots of goodvibes.gif to everyone.

My car's service engine light is back on. I'm beginning to think it's a quarterly event. Grrr.

Lent: I'm going to knit hats for charity and I'm also trying going to take time to do some meditative prayer each evening. I found a book called Praying with Beads last fall that looked really interesting, so I'm trying it out. Lutherans basically abandoned the rosary even though Luther himself didn't; the book suggests using the practice of prayer beads (slightly modified from a rosary though they have suggestions from that too), particularly for those of us with wandering minds. Yeah, that'd be me. Right now I'm using my great-grandmother's rosary (she was Catholic, but her mother and ancestors, and eventually her daughter and other descendants were/are Lutheran). I found some Anglican prayer beads on Etsy that I'll use after that...mostly because the Anglican ones have less beads. bag.gif That said, the book is really neat. It has prayers for the entire liturgical year, so I hope to keep going after Lent.

I thought about giving up something for Lent too, but that would appear to be sleep. For fun, I bought a Fitbit and one of the things it does is track sleep--both the amount of time actually in bed and the amount of actual sleep. I've gotten ~4 hours/night for the last 3 nights. Not sure what I'm going to do about that....

Rest day today.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 02-23-2012, 12:00 PM

Just Sayin'

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 02-23-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

Just Sayin'

What a cutie!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 02-23-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

So, Plady, just wanted to give you a lift this morning...my SIL was looking at my facebook page and saw your photo and said, "wow, what a beautiful woman." 

I said true, and not only on the outside! She's a dingo, after all! love.gif

loveeyes.gif Thanks!  orngtongue.gif

Quote:

Mamajb - Do you have any social setting where you could connect? Maybe a running group (i know you tried that, I think), maybe taking a class? It sure seems like you are the back-bone for 6 people and I wonder where you are supported? Morning runs are great, but not enough :o I hope to be there early summer. How about a nice long hike?

Shanti - :goodvibes for sleep and general restoration. I like the idea of a hotel room alone for you.

yeahthat.gif You both sound like you're on a collision course with Crazy Town if you don't get some added help/attention/alone time/respect from the people you live with. 

And mommajb, don't feel guilty about the non-disclosure of fish.  She's still a minor and legally unable to make crucial healthcare decisions on her own.  I use that argument when I help little dd in Crazy Eights making decisions that coincidentally help me too.

Quote:SUBMIT

Just Sayin'

Awwww!  He looks adorable!  I just realized this morning as I was cursing my dogs for the first time of the day (my 20+/day ritual curse out of dogs) that it's high time I made time to get serious about turning our 'new' dog into something I don't regret having in my house for the next decade or so.  So, as soon as I'm done with the middle school play at the end of march I'm signing us up for couples therapy aka dog obedience training.

Jo - Knew it was only a matter of time but I'm so glad it's sooner rather than later.  I'm sure it won't take 5 minutes for dh to appreciate the flexibility of the schedule.  And cute no 'do too!

RR: Boxed today.  I really left it all there.  Ended up heaving to breath on hands and knees at the end.  In a good way. winky.gif  I just love how I can't hold back there, no matter how lame and worthless I feel walking in to the class I always come out feeling like a powerhouse.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 02-23-2012, 01:37 PM

Just wanted to check in that Carlson's Lemon Fish oil is on sale at Amazon in case anyone's in the market for it.  I can't get it on the island so it works for me, I'm not sure about those of you closer to shopping.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:12 PM

RR: 4+ mile fast walk with the dog. Needed that. Wayyyyy to much chocolate this morning moon.gif <<that's the size of my ass. all this talking isnt helping GEO! crap.gif

Plady - the boxing sounds so awesome, fun and cathartic. Where do you do it?

Oh dear, I found a local Lab rescue site that I'm having trouble ignoring.... whistling.gif Dh is shake.gif I just texted him (he went to pick up the kids): "where are you ?! I have dogs to show you! We are doomed!" lol.gif

Old 02-23-2012, 04:51 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

babybugmama, I've had two kids do piano, and assuming you're talking about the little tunes out of primer books, that sounds like a reasonable workload for a bright 9-year-old. Our teacher was quite demanding, in a good way, and the girls thrived, progressing quickly. They started younger, just before their 6th birthdays, meaning that by the time they were 8 or 9 their repertoire was getting fairly advanced (Kuhlau Sonatinas and such) and their practicing was taking more like 40 minutes minimum. The workload probably speaks of high expectations and a capable learner, both of which are good things. But if it's getting in the way of enjoyment, it's time for a little chat with the teacher. When a student comes back week after week with stuff well mastered, teachers will tend to notch up the workload to reach the point of optimal challenge. If you feel like you're past that point, let the teacher know!

Jo, thumbsup.gif on the schooling front!

Sparkle, do you happen to remember the Dickensian novel set in Halifax? I lived there for a while and would love to have my nostalgia streak stroked. That was my first year working, and the first time I began running regularly, in Point Pleasant Park (before Hurricane Juan blew all the trees down). 

RR: After 8 weeks of low-heart-rate running à la Phil Maffetone, I did my first tempo run today and took 45 seconds off my best ever 5k training time, and didn't even feel like I was giving it everything I had. Wild! This approach actually seems to work. Back to slow running again tomorrow. Marathon is planned for May 6, and I intend to continue doing at least 5 low-heart-rate runs a week.

Miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups
Old 02-23-2012, 05:24 PM

Miranda - I was mistaken, it wasnt novia scotia but newfoundlad: "The Colony of Unrequited Dreams"

Old 02-23-2012, 05:59 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Quote:

Miranda - I was mistaken, it wasnt novia scotia but newfoundlad: "The Colony of Unrequited Dreams"

Ooh, I lived there too... and I truly, truly loved that place. I'll look for the novel for sure.

Miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups
Old 02-23-2012, 06:31 PM

Thanks moominmamma....that's about what I said to her was that she had a decision to make, that she could put the time in and continue to advance or if she needs to slow down just to tell her teacher.  If she doesn't have the songs mastered she just carries them over.  I've just noticed lately her carrying over more songs than before.  I don't think she's following what the teacher is saying during lessons completely either.  She described not knowing what was happening, that she would be able to play a song perfectly at home, but then go to her lesson and make a slew of mistakes. I suggested she tell her teacher that and just by telling her that my alleviate some anxiety.  

No running tonight, but breakfast for dinner.  My kids love me ;)  In fact ds made me a beautiful picture with "mom I love you mom" and lots of hearts.  What they didn't know is there was about a cup of pureed up carrots and oat flour in those pancakes :D

Old 02-23-2012, 08:13 PM

Hey sparkle!  Look what I found at my local shelter! See what you've started!

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22261537?photo_view=2&rvp=1

Old 02-23-2012, 08:41 PM

JG - lol.gif I know, it's awful

Old 02-23-2012, 08:50 PM

Help Dingos!  I've been trying to make a playlist on iTunes for Boxing.  I've got one essentially made, but now I can't figure out how to make my stupid Shuffle play it!  Every time I think I have it loaded up and hit play, it starts on some random song.  And I don't have the little knob on 'shuffle' either.  I'm hating Apple again tonight!

Also, do any of you have the game, Dr. Suess' Super Stretchy ABCs?  I picked it up at GW (of course) and it seems like a lot of fun but it didn't come with instructions so we don't know what to do with the cards, the boxes or the little footprint coins.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:45 PM

Popping back in because I remembered I wanted to respond to BBM about piano. Your solution sounds great. I was practicing 30 minutes/day at that age, but if she's happiest with 20, it sounds like it's mostly working for her. Either way, she can move forward more quickly and spend more time if she wants, or slow it down. Also, she might want to bring a little notebook, maybe of a 5x7ish size and ask her teacher to write down what she should be working on in each piece. My notebook was always with my music so I knew which pieces to work on and if there was something specific I needed to pay attention to, like fingerings in a passage or whatever.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 02-23-2012, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

joy.gif It's been a long funk, and this could be a fluke, but I feel like I might just be back. 14km just completed, which totally qualifies as a long run for me these days. Even my tummy and guts have the eeww, long-run feeling. Just brewed a cup of coffee and am now heading across to the beach for a little relaxation before the kids get home from the movie at the mall.

I think I am just going to take this mileage thing where I can. On my third loop of the park I finally got that feeling of a good physical wringing. I was all high and smiles and even got some smiles of recognition from fellow runners. My pace was slow, but faster than it has been. Need more running.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:52 AM

Real she has a book her teacher uses, but the teacher said she could record the lesson if that would help with hearing the pieces. I guess I have a hard time with it because this is like so many things where she has real talent, but little motivation. I keep telling myself she'll find her passion. There are those times though where I wish there was just a tad more effort.

Jo that is awesome! I love that you are finding that place.

Early very groggy morning. Hate when I wake up that way.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:27 AM

Yay, Jo!

I don't think I"m getting my run this morning. It's raining and I have a head cold so I may wait til later and try and either get to the gym or do a tae bo dvd. I need it - feeling sluggish and bloated, and I think I gained a couple pounds during my visit here. (my SIL keeps a secret stash of caramel covered popcorn...oops).

Late night anxiety attack and stuffy nose so I'm also very groggy this a.m...ugh.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:33 AM

Good Morning! DH and I finally got smart and sent the cats into the garage at night so I actually slept until 6:30! Super busy day today ( teaching art, library, post office, etc.) but I still hope to get to the Y for a walk/run after all that.

Jo - soooooo glad you've finally gotten DH on board regarding education joy.gif! And your running mileage (km-age?!) is impressive!

Must wake the troops.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:16 AM

joy.gif Jo!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 02-24-2012, 11:15 AM

Jo - joy.gif

Plady - what's on your playlist? Sorry I cant help w/ the ipod, I'm pretty useless with all that (I'm still living in the 70's, yo)

Mel38 - I was thinking about you during my run/walk, b/c I think I might actually prefer the intervals - I like running hard on the run part, knowing I have a walk "break" after, and so on. I think we could be good partners. Alas, you are there, and I am here lol.gif

RR: 53 minute bike intervals, 20 minute run/walk intervals. WOW that was hard. Mind over some seriously sluggish, lactic-acid loaded matter today. But done.

Curious; for those who drink their coffee after the run (Jo, Nic) is this b/c of GI issues?...'cause caffeine before a work-out is pretty, er, awesome jammin.gif

Old 02-24-2012, 12:22 PM
bec

Ok, for someone who is signed up for a freaking half ironman, I am doing remarkably little exercise these days!!! 

I worked at 6-9am today.  Woke up to a power outage at 5am, had to scavenge around for childcare because school got cancelled (same power outage), worked, and am now madly cleaning the house in anticipation of 13 kindergarteners and their parents descending at 4:30 for our first Daisy Scout meeting!  These are mostly girls I don't know, so I want my house to not look too horrific. 

I will run again, I will run again, I will run again!

Jo - Awesome work on your running lately!!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management
User Tag List