Dingoes Defy the February Slump: Keep Running, Mamas - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2012, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

BBM there are quite a few dingos on fB that rarely come here anymore, I'm sure at least a couple would like in on the SS.

Jo, right (about the unstable situation!). Things can go (pardon the expression) south super-fast so I'm sure it can be very worrying. I have a friend who does a lot of work in Egypt and all of a sudden he is banned from the country and lucky he was not there when they decided that. Apparently the powers-that-currently-be think that what he writes isn't all that flattering ... sigh. And Iran...well, yeah. Hope it stays sane for (at least!) another few months so you can get back stateside and take a break. 

Fizzy water. I am trying to cultivate this as opposed to diet coke. My new plan is to have seltzer for the house and if I want a diet coke, I'll have to go out and buy one. Usually this plan lasts about a week. eyesroll.gif I don't know what it is about this stuff. I know it's poisonous and toxic. For crying out loud, my father polishes his golf clubs with coke! That can't do good things to a body. It's so weirdly addictive. I do find that if I add a squirt of lemon or lime to my carry-around water bottle, I'm much more likely to drink more. I have to remember to do that. I also have to find a water bottle that I like carrying and is easy to drink from (i.e. won't splash all over my face) and does not sweat. You'd think it wouldn't be hard but apparently such a water bottle is not so easy to locate.

I'm dressed to run. That means I must run....soon as the temp goes up a few degrees. cold.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 07:59 AM

So far behind here, in workouts, and my house.... but my Gram left us yesterday afternoon right after my aunt and 2 cousins flew in to say good-bye.  It was like she was holding on for them.  I was taking care of my nephew, 2 nieces, V and AJ in the waiting room when she passed on with the rest of my family there.  My brother and sister walked me back, hand-in-hand to say good-bye. So hard but it was time and I am blessed with my family for sure.  Such an awesome support group.

<3

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 02-09-2012, 08:18 AM

I'm sorry Jen, I hope you find a peaceful place with this loss.  A wonderful woman to have touched so many lives.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm sorry for your loss, Jennie.

kerc, it doesn't solve the problem of not having water when you don't have a water bottle, but for the fizzy need, I've found that one emergen-c packet dumped into a liter water bottle works well.

Last night's insomnia is thanks to DD's math placement uncertainty.  Today's distraction is DS's uncertainty.  What fish oil goes down easiest?  Remember that DD was also diagnosed this week with sensory integration disorder with a particular difficulty with oral hypersensitivity.  Alternatively, how good does flax + walnut serve in it's place?  If that works, any good clif/lara bar type recipes that will get her 1T flax and 1/4 c walnut per bar?

I'm forcing myself to get some work done, even if it's low priority work, it's still ahead of not doing any work.

7 miles with hills on the agenda tonight.  My running partner is going to get my kid unload big time.

I'm sneaking myself an early lunch of leftover Jo's soup.  YUM

Old 02-09-2012, 08:54 AM

While dd is doing math pages here I am...

Geo - could you look at mixing the fish oil into yogurt, smoothies, cookies, muffins.  I know you mentioned oral sensitivity...but I don't know what her triggers are.  Also there are some kids chewable fish oils...we used them for awhile and then stopped but not for any particular reason.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

grouphug.gif JenLove  grouphug.gif

geo - you are doing such an awesome job with your kids. I wish there was a way I could help you sort through this stuff.

kerc - buying bottled water is not ideal but the occasional bottle purchased is not a disaster. The problem comes from people who have perfectly safe tap water at home and work who buy it by the case load and people who toss the empty bottles. If you get in the habit of drinking water more often, even if it is the bottled stuff, you are probably more likely to get in the habit of remembering to fill yours all the time. There are worse things than buying a bottle of water when you are thirsty - don't beat yourself up for not getting first prize in the green-mommy-wars.

1jooj - shoot. Have you heard from dh?

dd2 is breaking out in chicken pox as I type. Each new one she sees brings a fresh bout of tears. 

My intentions are good, keeping lots of greens washed and ready to eat in the fridge, putting some quinoa to soak for porridge before I go to bed at night, making healthy soups - but I just cracked open a Diet Coke and it isn't even 11:00 in the morning. I am sure it is the worst stuff about it that makes it so addictive but I can't even pretend to care right now. I may even have another one before this day is over. Sorry I can't be any help to other dingoes trying to kick the habit.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post

My intentions are good, keeping lots of greens washed and ready to eat in the fridge, putting some quinoa to soak for porridge before I go to bed at night, making healthy soups - but I just cracked open a Diet Coke and it isn't even 11:00 in the morning. I am sure it is the worst stuff about it that makes it so addictive but I can't even pretend to care right now. I may even have another one before this day is over. Sorry I can't be any help to other dingoes trying to kick the habit.

Crack is right.

I have a handful of ideas for flax. etc. Granola bar made with dingo granola comes to mind.

Also does she like nuts?  I recently made myself a banana almond smoothie (with almond butter).

FWIW: when I was a kid I would eat walnuts by the handful.

I have a handful of recipes for lara bars that include this stuff. I'll try to wrangle them up today.

Jenlove, I missed it last night: I'm so sorry for your loss.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 02-09-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

candle.gif for Gram, JenLove. 

Shanti, dh is here, so I am borrowing trouble, more than anything, I suppose. Just trying think it all through. I tend to play things out in my head and mentally rehearse. I keep asking him if travel is scheduled; so far, nothing. This is good. I'm just hoping nothing blows until we leave for summer break. But that feels far into the future from this POV. I hope dd does all right through this chicken pox thing. Good luck, mama.

Geo, I used to add Carlson's lemon flavored to smoothies. Kids never knew it. I also crushed and added Vit. D during winter.

I am so glad you ladies like the soup.

I'm also pretty thrilled to hear today that my poem was selected for publication in a literary journal. Makes me want to write more. I won't even bring up dh's reaction. irked.gif Some days... But anyway, makes me think maybe there really is a place for me in that world. This is the first time I've ever submitted. Beginner's luck is good enough for me. thumb.gif

Old 02-09-2012, 09:55 AM

Jo - G-d, you have a place in the world!! You have a place in the world at the very least as someone that I admire so tremendously, as a model of hard work, eternal self- exploration/discovery, GRACE, fortitude, wisdom, eloquence ... shall I go on? I think of you almost daily as an inspiration. I mean it. Poo on you dh for not giving you the glowing response you so deserve! Congratulations on the publication - no surprise at all. When do we get to read it orngbiggrin.gif

Geo - From my fairly extensive (read neaurotic), albeit years ago, research, I will say that first, flax and walnuts do not do the same thing as fish oil. I have a study I can cite, although am on my dh's computer today so not now. Further, there is a difference in how fish oils are processed and how much Omega-3's, Vit. D and Vit. A they all have. Some actually report higher numbers than were found upon investigation (where that article is, I dont know). Of the mainstream brands (Twinlab, Nordic Naturals, and Carleson), only one had respectable findings, but I cant remember which. These are most commonly used by families b/c they make them as palatable as possible, which to me tends to mean that they arent as good bag.gif You know, unless something tastes awful, it probably isnt that good for you lol.gif However, as there are so many kids who flat out wont take any unless its one of these, then who cares, right? I would do it in a smoothie or something, however, personally, I like to get it over with in one slug. I find that even the hint of the fish oil in other foods makes me not want to eat them, and why would I want to eat a tub of smoothie with a hint of fish when I could gulp it down in a second and wash it down with something strong - in my case decaf. coffee, in the kids; juice. It's a worthwhile avenue to try for the anxiety for sure

BBM - hooray for the RP. Who cares of you're spending a lot of time together. At this age, its so nice to find that kind of overlap and companionship, no?

JLove - candle.gif Sounds like a wonderful send off

Kerc - my fave water drink is one lemon squeezed into my Klean Kanteen and a few drops stevia, then fill with water. I know this doesnt help with the lack of water bottle issue, but it is awesome for the thirst quenching issue. I suspect emergen-c would do the same, but for me its too sweet

Gaye - hmm, that would be pretty awesome . Fingers X'd

RR; bwa ha ha

NRR: Day 7 of this horrid illness. wtf. Every day I feel like Im turning corner, well, I am, into another street of symptoms!! Today its the continued cough, with a stuffy head and exhaustion, but now I have a headache that wont quit and nausea.

NRR(2) went to a parent meeting for the climbing team last night. They want to turn it into a non-profit, and set up a parent advisory board that runs all admin. parts of the team so the coaches can just coach. Ended up having a discussion about what kind of team we want it to be, using the CO as an example of one way to run a team. ONe parent said "yes! That's what I want for this team!" and another said "that is the antithesis of what I want!" lol.gif Looks like we have some discussing to do. I fall in the middle...

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 02-09-2012, 11:36 AM

Geo - We all like Carlson's lemon flavor here too.  I can't get over how yummy it is.  And, maybe Sparkle's right about it not being as good but I'd be in the This-or-nothing category myself and certainly my kids would too.  As for nuts, what about making glazed walnuts (as in those yummy salads with chevre and walnuts and cranberries?) and then while they are still sticky coating thm in ground flax?  Would that be a crunchy treat? 

Jo - Congratulations!!!  You'd better let us know how to find this as-yet-unnamed journal!

Kerc - I also do the emergen-c thing, although I tend to use two packets.

I'm amazed at how many of my Dingos have a Diet Coke habit!  I knew it was an addictive substance but I hadn't realized how strong it must be for so many of the strongest people I know to be helpless before the silver can!  I wish I could help you all kick it, it's like the inverse of Sparkle's cod liver oil theory, something that tastes that good can't be good for you!  goodvibes.gif Strength vibes, this is not the beverage you are looking for...

Shanti - Not that you don't deserve your DC! 

Jennie - candle.gif

Sparkle - I'm glad that the polar opposites spoke up for the team, I'm sure you'll find a happy middle if everyone keeps speaking up.

RR: Got to boxing and worked hard.  I thought I might puke by the end of the ab work at the end of class.  Rewarded myself with a protein shake with banana, pb, and froz raspberries. yummy.gif

Now to shower and paint.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 02-09-2012, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the info. The SPD oral aversion diagnosis is real.  She's also a super taster, and can taste when the manufacturer of her multi-vitamin changes formulations.  She is also then very limited in her eating.

Muffins we might be able to do, but doesn't heat destroy the magic?  If I can bake it into something, it might fly.  Can I cover the taste with sufficient peanut butter or chocolate?  Mint extract?  I was thinking home made lara bars because those can be done as no bake.

Sparkle, what's missing if we go the flax/walnut route?  I'm pretty sure I can get her to eat something made with those.

Whew, lots on the agenda this weekend.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:54 PM

Geo - DHA and EPA. Walnuts and Flax contain ALA, which is a short chain fatty acid. This needs to be converted to a long chain (DHA and EPA are) to have the desired affect. Most sources/researchers are unsure about APA's effect on depression/anxiety/brain function, but studies support the treatment of these with DHA and EPA. DHA and EPA come only from fish. Here's a layman's blip about it

The other consideration is that adding Omega-3's can be as helpful as limiting omega-6's. The ratio of these to each other is important, so if you get rid of as many sources of omega-6 from the diet, you are in effect, raising the level of omega-3

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 02-09-2012, 02:45 PM

Good read, citations at end.

Diet coke free day. Yay. Even filled my water bottle.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:45 PM

Heading up to Vail shortly for the night...girl's night out tonight and skiing tomorrow, yay! joy.gif (Mind you...I am still working on my mommy guilt over the fact that I didn't see DS last night--although he was supposed to be with his dad anyway--and am leaving before he gets home from school today and getting home just before dinner tomorrow AND I'm working day shift all weekend. Sigh)

rr~I realized about halfway through my hamster wheel run at the Y that I was supposed to be meeting friends for a run. duh.gif Oops. 2.5 miles on the wheel, followed up by spin class. During which I was separately annoyed by the fact that the instructor didn't make sure the bike was set up correctly for the new girl in front of me, so I felt the need to stop my workout to help her adjust it so she didn't hurt herself and by the two women who talked through the ENTIRE class. I don't mind talking during class, in fact I do it frequently, but they literally did not stop their conversation once. a) annoying b) disrespectful and c) if you can talk through the whole class, you are clearly NOT working hard enough! rolleyes.gif

Tomorrow: skiing! joy.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 02-09-2012, 03:59 PM

I can't keep up here :(. I'm trying to be really mindful about my computer use at home, and I have limited time at work. I'm finally caught up with the thread, after forgetting it was February for a while!  My big issue is keeping up the race and results lists.  I can only update them from my home computer and I just don't get to it.  Does anyone want to take it over?

Wanted to respond to a bunch of stuff here but am out of time again - more later.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:18 PM

Geo, how is she with gummy candy textures? I agree with everyone that Carlson's makes the best tasting (and good quality/testing re: mercury) oils, and their gummy candies just taste like candy to me. Might be worth a try, but probably depends on her specific texture aversions.

Shanti, a well deserved diet coke, I say...I hope that the CP isn't too bad for your DD.

JenLove candle.gif for your grams

gaye, have a terrific girls ski trip!!

sparkle, feel better soon!

jo, wishing you stress-free safety in your lives. And yes, which literary publication?

BBM, kerc, and Geo ROTFLMAO.gifat your serial posting yesterday. Dingoes are awesome!

RR- Ha! I had begged MIL to come and babysit while I went for a run yesterday, since both kids were home sick from school/preschool and I really needed a break from fever-ville. BUT, I was called in to the hospital for a 6-hour L&D shift that I couldn't really turn down, so she babysat for that instead.

NRR- We're on day six of sickness here. My oldest is fever-free but totally worn down from days of illness and not eating. And the youngest is still in and out of fevers. Today we were supposed to be traveling to visit my husband, but I was having twinges of not feeling 100% and worried that I might get sick, too. Plus the youngest is a pretty high-maintenance sick kid, so 10-12 hours travel with her was not looking pretty. I seem to have made out okay with only a couple hours of fever/chills last night and some extra tiredness and aches today. I'm mostly tired of being housebound for so long. We're living off pho and Emergen-C and junk food bought for the road trip.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 02-09-2012, 05:33 PM

Thanks for the link, kerc! Mel, she does like gummies, but they are forbidden by her dental work. We may make and exception.

Kerc, another thought is to make sure you drink plenty of water with each meal. It should help just keep the general thirst levels down.

BBM just loaded me up with info for DD. I'm so greatful to the dingoes.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:45 PM

I hope it helps Geo, more may be coming, I'll pm you as it comes...

Nice run tonight.  I realize that every time I have to run by that stretch of bike path my anxiety sky rockets.  I cannot allow something to dominate me in this way.  But that said.  I will no longer be running on the bike path in the dark (never did alone, now I can't handle it even with someone).  And well...this sounds weird, but normally I would run my friend almost all the way to her house because I didn't want her to run by herself...but hello it's okay for me (?!). I.could.not. do it tonight.  I got as far as I could, fessed up, and asked her to text me when she got home.  Avoidance issues anyone?  Although it's also a good reminder that I need to be taking care of myself as well.  

I'm up to 17.25 for the week...two more running days to go.

I'm signed up for the warrior dash June 2.  Kinda excited and thinking, really...is this really what my next goal is?

Wow Mel - hope everyone heals soon!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:03 PM

And we have head lice in child #2. She was exposed at school and at daycare on tues. Having watched people battle thesebuggersforever, we didn't fool around.....treatment and combing for my kids. Wash linens. After we get these guys to bed dh will check me.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 PM

Too many cherry m&m's. Yeegads.

And...one of the most delicious gluten free spinach & onion pizzas I have EVER had....found a pizzeria that makes delicious gf pizza. Who'da thunk it?

Too much eating. But I did run 6 miles so I can almost, sort of, you know, maybe, justify it. redface.gif  Yeah, it's that time of the month. Hormones.

Must. run. tomorrow.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 PM

Why did I just open a box of Christmas shortbread cookies and start to work on them????? greensad.gif

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 02-09-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

Why did I just open a box of Christmas shortbread cookies and start to work on them????? greensad.gif

Because they're yummy. Also, nice workout earlier! And yes, R still has the tooth. Must do something about that this weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

But I will say: three diapers for a 15 min library visit is better than zero diapers for a three hour one. Both are equally possible with my uber smart but not real life smart husband.

Yeah, he's done that one too. He's kind of all or nothing. Will you be able to go skiing this weekend?

On homeschooling/public schooling:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post

I think this is just the next extension of the mommy wars.  It started with do you breastfeed/bottlefeed, cosleep/crib, CIO/not, disposable/cloth diaper.  It just goes on and on.  It's why I cherish the Dingos.

yeahthat.gif Exactly that.

Nic--glad to hear about the job offer and hope they can offer you something workable. It's nice to be wanted no matter what, right?

JenLove--I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. And switching gears to the homeschooling conversation (yep, I had some catch up to do!): how about you you move to Colorado. orngbiggrin.gif There are a lot of homeschoolers. Most of the Front Range districts also offer "options," which is a one-day-a-week program where parents can opt in to subjects they'd rather have someone else teach. There are also other homeschooling groups up the wazoo. I'm pretty sure that at least 50% of our local AP/NFL board is homeschooling. Our zoo and museum are now offering a monthly class geared toward homeschoolers too. And I think there's even an unschooling school (or heated building in which your kids are supervised but not taught?) in the metro area too.

JayGee--I'm technically a PTA mom too (we have PTA instead of PTO). I belong and volunteer and all, but I can't make the regular meetings 'cause I teach those nights. Our PTA is a mixed bag, so that's a plus, at least. Good luck with the new food start. I've been craving baked goods lately and I know that's not healthy.

Geo--interesting news on the meetings. And goodvibes.gif for permanent solutions. One thought on moving your son up: one of the boys in R's class was a Dec birthday but tested well and started kindy at age 4. Last year he started in the 1st grade G&T classroom, but it turned out his reading skills weren't where he could be to keep up. So they put him in a regular 1st grade classroom, and this year he's back in 1st grade (with his peers--R and he have birthdays a couple of days apart), but in the G&T class where they're working a year ahead anyhow. The changes haven't been too disruptive for him, fwiw. And on the fish oil, perhaps you can make some sort of no-bake bars that store in the fridge?

anjsmama--hope the croup settles down with your LO in the next couple of days regardless of what you decide to do while running.

1jooj--personally, I'd have an exit plan in place. Mostly, that would involve having a good amount of cash on hand (in American dollars or whatever will work best on the black market and such). It never hurts, given where you are and all the turmoil in the area. And all that said, I hope your lives between now and this summer remain incredibly dull. And a huge congratulations on the poem!
joy.gif

tjsmama--I hope they are able to move, and on a separate note, that you have a fabulous time skiing.

BBM: bow.gif on no sugar for six weeks. Wow. I don't think I could do that at this time of year.

sparkle--ack! feel better!

Shanti--hope your daughter ends up with a mild case that resolves quickly. Or that you're able to distract her with lots of fun stuff in the meantime.

MelW--ugh on the sickness. Hope everyone feels better soon and you don't feel any worse.

Classroom Valentine's Day party tomorrow. Child care arrangements for J fell through, so she's coming with. She's very excited. Wish me luck!

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 02-10-2012, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Just mapped the beach run. It is indeed, just about exactly 4 miles. I think I am going to shoot to do a double of it one day this week. It's time to gear up; my friend is coming in a month, and she's been running half distances just for fun. Don't want to let her down. It would be super cool to be able to run a 10-miler with her. Pending weather and jet lag adjustment, of course.

Ran the beach this morning while dh and kids had breakfast there. Dh ran the beach first thing, too.

The pub is Magnolia Journal. I'm just thrilled that someone appreciated what I was trying to do with the story, and of course a pub credential is always a good thing.

sparkle, your comments make me blush.gif and I appreciate your thoughts on writing about where I am. Saying the wrong thing and having it taken the wrong way by the wrong person could land me in the hole. Someday when I am comfortably living elsewhere, it will all come out. Isn't that something to think about, my commentary has been heavily self-censored. It's worse than I say it is. Worse yet, to me, is how many people "just love it." puke.gif

Real, your cash recommendation is a good one, and didn't even occur to me. I feel like all my self-reliance "muscles" have atrophied. At the least, I'll figure out the way (on foot) to the consulate, stash some cash, and hope everyone can chill for a few more months.

Fish oil in the homemade Lara-type bars sounds brilliant. So does Plady's walnut-flax idea. Yum.

I am off the starches and it feels so much better. Those first three days were killer. Physically painful. But I seem to have switched the gears. Now to stay focused and up the activity. On both the bread and DC fronts, dh showed up with Subway and a giant DC after work on Wednesday. I had to be kind of sneaky about it, but avoided both and fed the kids and dumped the quart or so of DC. In the interest of family harmony, I am trying not to see it as sabotage. This also applies to the Pakistani sweets and chocolate bar he brought me last night. The sweets are in the fridge and the choc is in the snack cupboard (kids can have them). eyesroll.gif And my post-run 2 eggs were delish. For reals.

drjen hug2.gif. Just keep running. I have been feeling a little guilty about my internet time, but when I realize that this is really my primary tool for human contact outside my family, I feel less bad. I hope you're finding balance.

Speaking of, I am trying at the moment to set up a few social calls. A "play date" which is really more a mommy date, and a couple coffee/walk dates with women I know here. I really am operating on a lower level of energy \. Sleeping more, achieving a lot less with my time than I ever have before. Makes me wonder whether maybe I've become imbalanced to the point of needing medical correction. ?? So, because I know hard running is better than drugs, and interaction is important, I will try adding those and see what happens.

JayGee, any discussion about nerve irritation? I saw a doc here who brought it up, basically on the idea that long-term back issues created what he called "ennervation" (?), which is maybe at the heart of the pain issue for me. He didn't have a solution but said there's a doc in TX doing something with ultrasound? sigh. I wish there were simple, effective and cheap solutions. Besides denial.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I don't know what I was doing while I was sleeping but this morning my knee is tingling and super painful. Walking down the stairs was excrutiating so I may join dd on the chesterfield watching musicals all day innocent.gif I must be fighting some virus too as I am so tired I feel dizzy even though I slept more than usual last night. Bummer. I say I will take it easy today but there is a half ton of laundry that needs to be done, the kitchen is a disaster zone and I can't live with that, and dd's pox have reached the horribly itchy stage and she is needing lots of TLC. Last night on the way home from band rehearsal I picked up the ingredients I didn't already have to make another batch of Jo's soup so I can live on that and oranges for the weekend. I can't seem to get enough oranges these days and the sweeter, the better. 

So many hard things are happening these days but yesterday had some good moments. We have a friend who is a music teacher and leads the brass quintet two of my kids play in. On his way to work yesterday he dropped off a bag with at least a dozen musicals for dd to watch while she recovers - things like Singin' In the Rain, Grease, Amadeus, Beauty and the Beast, Show Boat, Guys and Dolls and a few symphonies. A couple of hours later there was another walk at the door and a woman who goes to dh's church and plays in a couple of concert bands with us handed me three bags of groceries - deli chicken, potatoes, popsicles, ginger ale, watermelon, cupcakes - made my day with the girls so much easier and helped me feel less alone in all that is going on. All these people know is that we have a couple of sick children but these acts of kindness ease so much more than that.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:52 AM

Jo, first and foremost of course what sparkle said, second, be safe..., third, I know for my dh and the diet changes it has taken a long time for him to get it.  I think it was me not eating his birthday cake and then not drinking margaritas (he bought the all in one kind - hello hfcs).  I know he bought sugar free chocolate for me for valentines, which I don't want either...I'm staying away from the artificial sweeteners too, but he means well.  He cannot fathom the idea of not eating sugar at all.  I don't think he truly gets what it means. I'm wondering if your dh is the same, it doesn't affect him in that way so why should it affect you?  I dunno.  I admit though it has been frustrating and rather than look to him for support I've had to watch what he brings in the house and prepare myself.

The day is beginning here and it started at 5:10 am...all because my stupid dog uses his collar as an alarm clock and woke ds up.  I hate getting up at the butt crack of dawn.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:07 AM

Jo, you might think of making a 'go' list as well. Don't pack so much as write a list of everything you'd want if you had to leave in a hurry, with details on where things are. It seems awfully paranoid, but hopefully it can bring you a degree of reassurance. But yes, cash first.

My RP is more outraged on behalf of my kids than I am. 7 miles, including the "hill" twice, was enough to let me sleep until all the way until 1:35 this morning. I'm anxietiating myself over DD's math and worrying if Ds' verbal skills are good enough.

Can folks compare for me the Strawberry Nordic Naturals to the Carlson's orange burst? The reviews of the Carlson's makes me think that the "gummy" bit might be too gummy, and they have just 40% the DHA as the Nordic ones. Still researching...
Old 02-10-2012, 06:05 AM

Jen, so sorry to hear of your Grammie's passing. candle.gif

Geo, sending you goodvibes.giffor figuring out your dinglets' stuff and wishes for om.gif for you. You are one intrepid mama. And I would love a similar review; it's time for me to incorporate the fish oil into my kids' diets too but they won't take anything that tastes icky. 

My SIL just had surgery yesterday for an upper spine herniated disk that was impinging on her nerves and putting her shoulder in agony for months. Please send up good thoughts and prayers for her.

Jo, yes, definitely, exit strategy: cash, map how to walk to the consulate/embassy, emergency list, and perhaps photocopies of important documents stashed with your folks overseas as well as instructions what to do in an emergency? It's probably a good idea for anyone traveling anywhere, these days, sad to say -- but esp. in a situation where the region could fall apart quickly around you. And, perhaps some ideas about other peoples' homes to get to if you need to (other expatriates or Emiratis you trust) and how to get there. I was in Israel during the first Gulf War when the scud missiles started falling on Tel Aviv, and we had to do this kind of stuff. Scary, and luckily we did not need it, but better to be prepared.

Shanti, hope today is better and things get easier! grouphug.gif

I feel so yuck after my eating fest yesterday. Going to detox a little this morning (yogurt and a rice cake, coffee only) and then go for a run when the temp hits 40 as it's supposed to midday. Meanwhile I am cooking for everyone else -- Shabbat dinner. On the list: roast bbq chicken (I don't eat this but others in the fam do), GF cornbread stuffing, roasted yams/potatoes, homemade cranberry sauce, and maybe some asparagus if I can get it.

Want a good laugh? The other day in school the kids had a special Tu B'Shvat 'meal' (the arbor day thing) and it's custom to eat lots of different dried fruits, nuts, etc. They ate carob. DD2 said to me, "Mommy, they made us eat a CARIBOU! It smelled like sweaty socks." ROTFLMAO.gif

Old 02-10-2012, 06:57 AM

Nic ~ sweaty socks?! twins.gif  Prayers for your SIL for a speedy recovery.

Geo ~ it sounds to me like you're making some excellent choices for your children.  It is stressful to make so many huge decisions all at once, but you're doing it in a thoughtful, well-intentioned way.  Is your DH starting to come around?  What are his concerns?  I can't believe the red-shirting in your community.  A 7 year old in kindy?  Really?  My DD2 is still only 5 and won't turn 6 until May....

BBM ~ I can understand your feelings and anxiety about running on that trail after what you saw.  A few years ago, one of the women from my running group was sexually assaulted on my favorite trail.  I just couldn't run on it for a long time after that.  It wasn't until we did a huge community-wide "Take Back the Trail" run with at least 100 other women that I felt empowered enough to brave that trail again.  Thinking of you hug2.gif.

Shanti ~ oh no.  CP!  Enjoy your sofa time with DD and I hope the itching subsides quickly.  I had to laugh at your use of "Chesterfield" though!  I've never heard that term before and had to look it up!

Jooj ~ sweet beach run!!!!  That sounds lovely.  At least the runs on the beach are there to balance out all the other yuck there.  I can't believe people love it like that.  Then again, your farmy existence in WI was pretty much the antithesis of Dubai-living.  Stay safe in the time of unrest.

Real ~ hope you and J have a good time at R's Valentine's party!

kerc ~ lice.... ew..... Did you find any?

tjsmama ~ enjoy your ski day!  I hope it all works out where your XH can move back to Colorado.  I am always amazed by your equanimity towards him.

NRR ~ my kids are off school today for Parent-Teacher conferences.  They only do conferences at this time of year for children who are having trouble either academically or behaviorally, so we don't get one.  Good in some ways, but I'm still not seeing any additional "challenges" from DS's teacher.  He got his mid-term report yesterday.  Honestly, when a kid hasn't scored below a 96 on any assignment or test for the entire semester, it's time to give that kid a little more eyesroll.gif.  So much of the school is geared towards children with special needs/behavioral issues/developmental issues ~ there are actually more special ed teachers and aides in the school than regular teachers.  Yesterday, when I was in the library, a boy had a huge emotional breakdown (screaming, throwing things, kicking, punching, trying to fight off the teachers who where holding him).  I see why so many teachers and aides are needed, honestly.  But I still wish a small fraction of that budget could go towards kids who need an extra challenge too.

RR ~ dropping DD2 off for a playdate this morning and then dragging DS and DD1 to the Y so I can walk or something. 

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 02-10-2012, 07:09 AM

Shanti I missed your post.  That sounds like lovely community loving.  So sweet.  I'm sorry you're feeling lousy, take care of yourself...do the bare minimum to keep the house maintained and just rest.

Geo - how did I miss how old these kids are in kindy?! That's insane.  I knew ds couldn't handle kindy socially/emotionally at 4/5, but by 5/6 he would have to...

Jo - I wish I could be that ear that you could whisper all the wrong.  Trust that we are listening with our hearts.  I like everyone's ideas of plans...Anxiety provoking to think about.

Dd has her book club here today.  She heard me talking about my book club one time and decided she wanted to do that. I figured maybe once or twice and she'd let it go.  But almost a year later they are still going. There are four of them including dd and they have read such a variety of books, rainbow fairies, nancy drew notebooks, beast quest, (typical 3/4th grade fodder), etc. It's been fascinating the lessons she has learned interpersonally.  The newest is that she has really leaped reading level-wise, but her friends haven't yet (from 3/4 to 5/6).  I've been talking with her about the idea of book club for the long haul and the amazing books they will read together as a group, but that for now she needs to be patient with them and allow them to catch up.  Meanwhile she and I will read the books she's interested in and talk about them.  She's disappointed and it's not the same, but I think she gets it.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:35 AM

Carob as sweaty socks is about right.

BBM, I'm wishing you peace as you reclaim your sense of safety and security in your neighborhood.  I love book clubs for kids.  Newbery award books are always a good go-to for something like this, and often google can kick up some guidance on running a discussion about the books. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post

Geo - how did I miss how old these kids are in kindy?! That's insane.  I knew ds couldn't handle kindy socially/emotionally at 4/5, but by 5/6 he would have to...

JayGee found me in another thread.

The cutoff is 5 by Sept 30 to start kindy, but there is a de facto cut off in the neighborhood of May 31, as in, if they're not 5 by the end of preschool, then hold them out until they start kindy at 6.  Some people will hold out even older kids, and there's always one or two January or February birthday per class.  The sad thing is that when I see who they are in 3rd or 4th grade, almost all are in special education for a variety of learning disabilities.  Clearly the parents were seeing something that made them think that their 5 1/2 year old wasn't ready, but instead of realizing they were going to need help, they went with the standard advice to let them grow up more.

Some of this stems from the local "culture" of the district, and some stems from a mis-understanding of what immaturity vs disability looks like amongst the local preschool teachers.  There had been a huge problem getting appropriate services for dyslexic kids in the district, and a parent group formed 2 years ago to pressure the district to do the right thing, educate teachers and the community about what it is and when it can be identified, and in the end, they ended up filing a formal complaint against the district last spring.  Amazingly enough, these parents have managed to maintain a positive relationship with everyone, running parent and educator speaker series and pressing the issue with a smile.  The main bottle necks in the district have been fired or reassigned, the district is on watch with the state (part of what appears to be making DD's case fast tracked), and there is a turn around in culture there about reading disabilities.  The next task for this group is now to pull in the local preschool teachers to help them see the differences between the very rare immature kid who really should maybe not join school until age 6 from the kids who are showing signs of needing intervention through the schools. 

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management
User Tag List