Dingoes Defy the February Slump: Keep Running, Mamas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're four days into February, and I figure 2:30PM my time is a good time to post a new thread for the month. Enjoy, ladies. tiphat.gif

JayGee, as others before me have said: major no-ms goodvibes.gif

Geo, just wow on that reading/writing dx. Where to begin?!

MelW, wish I had some of that Zen parent in me. Nice work on the squat party. Sounds like it hurts.

sparkle, hope you enjoyed (?) not so much the headache, but the downtime it afforded you.

kerc, I am struggling with weird feelings of being "addicted" to this, that and the other...have been totally fine off the DC, but can pick it up anytime (like smoking bag.gif). And it's an expression of love in this house when dh brings me home a DC when he has been out. eyesroll.gif And it DOES have an effect on me that's not just the caffeine. I can drink tea or coffee and not get the same (weird) buzzy thing and desire for more. Don't know what that is. But iced tea with lemon and coffee afternoons are in order here.

JenLove, I'll be there in June. Don't yet know quite when, but school is out the 20th here. If I can leave early I will, but since our lease is up the 15th, we'll be moving around that time. Plan right now is to stay through September (which means we get to see AND SMELL fall!). How are the goats? lurk.gif

Gaye? News?

And the rest of you gorgeous mamas...namaste.gif

I realized I have to do something big to pull myself out of this rut. Oddly, it involves buying a blender. Today is Day One Low-Carb, and I am not anticipating an easy week, but things are (were) out of hand here.

bec, I'm looking at you, mama. I need strategies/help for getting through the hard part, the withdrawal effects of the first week or so. I've made a list of good foods to keep around and will shop accordingly (doubling up on good eggs and bringing in flax seeds, frozen berries). But my dh and kids need more carbohydrate to function well, and this means just plain willpower, stamina and commitment.

Also appealing to you GF mamas for how to just walk away when the baguette is mocking me.

So, February for me will be a month of early bedtimes (to stay away from sugar), long run/walks, and a lot more writing. I have a couple things to submit work to, which is always good for me. Hard, externally imposed deadlines seem to work.

#2 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 03:28 AM

Jo...to keep away from sugar at least.  I have had to have a cold turkey approach.  I am almost at the end of week 5.  I have quit and started up  again, quit and started up again...like a cigarette smoker.  It's scary that I am addicted to sugar no less than an addict of any other drug.  When I really sit in that knowledge I realize I cannot have just a little.  I'm also taking it a week at a time.  Each week when I get through the week I post on FB that I achieved my goals.  It seems silly, but that accountability has really helped.  I also planned all the difficult times, like dh's birthday with the chocolate monstrosity that I made him that I know is delicious.  I cut the first pieces for the family and then told dh he would have to cut any future pieces of cake, I just could not do that to myself.  But I thought about it ahead of time and thought about what it would be like and how I would cope.  You can't eliminate sugar like you can a cigarrette...it's in everything! I have eliminated, I guess I mean it's not as obvious...you have to read the labels on *everything*!  That's what makes it so hard.

Anyway, as I said coming up on week five.  My mileage is probably going to be about 27 for this week.  I had a horrible experience earlier in the week when a friend and I ran by someone who had taken their life.  We were not the first responders (thank God), but right after. Unfortunately I have been triggered from a lot of things I saw overseas as a child and have been a mess of anxiety.  Today unfortunately is a bad day.  I can't even eat this morning my stomach hurts so bad.  I hate anxiety. Hate.  So any natural remedies for anxiety I'm open for! I already do deep breathing, relaxation, and all that stuff, it actually hasn't helped.

That's it for me.

#3 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 04:59 AM

Oh BBM, that's awful! I'm so sorry that you had to see something so disturbing. Can you talk to anyone about it? Spend some time with a friend or family? It sounds like it has really affected you so strongly and I hope that you have someone to help you process it so that you don't have to go it alone. We are also here for you. grouphug.gif

Jo, thank you for the new thread! I am so impressed by everything that you manage and still are the central hub for your family, with so little help from community or family. And still you have such discipline when it comes to exercise and diet. I hope that things shake out and settle down with plans for the future. And I hope that February is as good work-wise as you plan. I am also an external-deadline-driven person.

Gaye: Have I said Congratulations yet!? If not...

joy.gifflowersforyou.gifclap.gifthumbsup.gifjoy.gif Congratulations!!

I can't believe it's all behind you now, when it seems like just yesterday that you were researching and dreaming of nursing school. Wow.

Speaking of deadlines, I am under a lot of deadline-related work stress, but it still feels manageable. I'm on pins and needles today waiting for feedback from my first submission of a large project, a new client. Even though I try to view it as constructive, I am very thin-skinned about critical feedback. bag.gif I prefer compliments. loveeyes.gif

DH took DD1 to a 5k this morning. Oh, how she used to moan about me making her run (back when we were in Germany, does anyone remember that phase?). Now, she has really turned a corner and feels some pride in accomplishing a run, staying fit and seeing improvement. It's age-related, too, as she will be 16 in a few weeks and has matured quite a bit since we have been back in SC.

As for me, my diet is slowly improving, but with a Superbowl party in the house tomorrow, I am very afraid that I will overindulge. Gah.

Ran 5.5 yesterday and felt a little tired.

wave.gif to all my Dingo friends!

Now I have to go back and check what I missed in the January thread...

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#4 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 05:27 AM

thumb.gif

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#5 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 07:10 AM

Jo - Thanks for the new thread :)

kerc - I'm working for a blogger I love doing admin stuff.  It's an hour a day M-F.  I get paid an access to all her content and coaching calls for free. <3

I survived yesterday, and it was fun.  Now off to make some breakfast... I'm wasting away.  LOL

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#6 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 07:11 AM

Serial post!

Plady: hug2.gif Thinking of you and your sweet DD.

JG: Urg, I'm sorry that your leg/nerve is putting such a damper on exercise efforts. We will be waiting to hear what the MRI results reveal. Is swimming an option?

Mel: Oh, I had to laugh when I read that your DD had managed to get to school in just a tank top under her coat in the dead of winter. Last year, my DD fell in love with a sparkly, sequined cropped jacket abomination that she had worn dressing up as Michael Jackson for halloween. Of course, she put that thing on, buttoned up her coat over it and wore it to school. Same as you, I didn't notice it until I picked her up.  bag.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#7 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 07:12 AM

Did we ever get Secret Sprinter together for this year?

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#8 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 08:17 AM

I'd be willing to help organize again. I could get the lists all organized. Then someone could do the pairing?  

#9 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 08:35 AM
bec

Jo - South Beach is really only low carb during the first couple of weeks.  No fruits or grains for 2 weeks.  But, you are allowed carbs through other sources.  Dairy is encouraged, as well as beans.  But, for 2 weeks, it's all about the veggies and lean protein.  The first week is probably the worst for cravings and the like.  My strategy is to have frequent snacks.  I prechop all my veggies, so there is little to no prep and I can just grab and go.  Pairing a veggie with a protein helps to keep hunger away, which helps with the cravings.  I'm into week two of phase two, so I am starting to get some of those things back.  I have been having a sweet potato and a fruit (banana) this week.  Next week, I'll add a third thing.  I'll be working my way up to 3 servings of whole grain and 2-3 servings of fruit. 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#10 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 09:51 AM

Re: diet.

What is the goal for people when you start a low-carb diet, or begin to "clean up" your diet, or take out sugar? I guess what I'm wondering is that I understand the psychic boost of a jump start to cleaning up ones eating, but it seems like many of us go back and forth btwn. "messy" eating for awhile, and then cleaning it up, and then messing it up again. Is this just the nature of women and eating? I know some people just eat and get on with their lives (Geo, Kerc?), but it has always been an on again, off again issue for me, in terms of eating in a way that I feel good about vs. not.

For me, feeling good about how I eat has as much or more to do with why I eat as what, as I generally eat pretty healthy. My vice is chocolate, as I said, and aside from this, I dont eat other "bad" foods (white flour, fried, sugar - outside of chocolate...). But I dont just eat when I'm hungry until I'm not anymore, and then get on with the day. Too often, I eat just too much, not way too much, but enough to make me feel bleh. When I have a stretch of months where food is not that interesting to me, I do just eat meals and get on with it, and I lose 5 lbs. It feels great, mostly psychicly, to have that preoccupation gone. But I have not been able to get to the root of why I do this. Boredom, I think, is part. Whenever we go on road trips, I lose weight for the same reason - that free feeling of adventure makes food become the fuel it should be.

Just ate too much for a breakfast that kept going; snack here, snack there. So tedious.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#11 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

Re: diet.
What is the goal for people when you start a low-carb diet, or begin to "clean up" your diet, or take out sugar? I guess what I'm wondering is that I understand the psychic boost of a jump start to cleaning up ones eating, but it seems like many of us go back and forth btwn. "messy" eating for awhile, and then cleaning it up, and then messing it up again. Is this just the nature of women and eating? I know some people just eat and get on with their lives (Geo, Kerc?), but it has always been an on again, off again issue for me, in terms of eating in a way that I feel good about vs. not.
For me, feeling good about how I eat has as much or more to do with why I eat as what, as I generally eat pretty healthy. My vice is chocolate, as I said, and aside from this, I dont eat other "bad" foods (white flour, fried, sugar - outside of chocolate...). But I dont just eat when I'm hungry until I'm not anymore, and then get on with the day. Too often, I eat just too much, not way too much, but enough to make me feel bleh. When I have a stretch of months where food is not that interesting to me, I do just eat meals and get on with it, and I lose 5 lbs. It feels great, mostly psychicly, to have that preoccupation gone. But I have not been able to get to the root of why I do this. Boredom, I think, is part. Whenever we go on road trips, I lose weight for the same reason - that free feeling of adventure makes food become the fuel it should be.
Just ate too much for a breakfast that kept going; snack here, snack there. So tedious.

Yet again, I could have written your post (except I need to lose about 15 pounds...)  I want to think of food as fuel, eat and get on with living my life.  Instead I obsess, and count, and agonize, and eat.  Wish I could answer your question.  All I know is that my Mom was EXACTLY like me, except about 40 lbs. overweight and her attitude of food = entertainment has been ingrained in me.  I know I feel great when I eat well, yet I continue to make crappy choices because food=love/entertainment/happiness.  Except when it makes me unhappy.

I did 1 hour and 40 minutes in the MRI tube this morning (30 minutes of it with an unbearably full bladder!) and should have the radiologist report no later than Tuesday.  Hoping and praying that it shows "something".

kerc ~ I just kicked DC to the curb too!  Yesterday was the first day since I quit that I didn't think about having one mid-afternoon.  DH is quitting too, and having a rough time.

Time for dishes and beds and laundry.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#12 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 10:04 AM

BBM - have you tried Natural Calm (its a magnesium supplement) and/or Rescue Remedy? Both of these work well for me, and in combo its practically narcotic redface.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#13 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 11:05 AM

yep, one of those people who just eat and get on with it. Well, I LOVE to eat. I just know that overall I need to eat veggies every day. I also need much of my sweet tooth to come via fruit. I plan to bring food along with, but don't obsess. My husband makes fun of me because I can't leave for the afternoon without food. But he can. 

I also try to take a long look at what I'm doing:  I've gained almost three pants sizes since i began workng in my FT prof job. I'm 20 lbs heavier than when I got pregnant with my oldest. For me that's all about the vending machine. So...I need to bring food to work. I'll be hungry and if I let myself a candy bar wins every time. If I make a rule that I can't get a candy bar then its nuts or fruit or nothing.  I'm hoping to drop 5 or so lbs this spring. Provided I kick this cold to the curb and then get out and exercise, it shouldn't be an issue. So anyway -- yes, I don't follow any rules (other than eat REAL food, with the exception of diet coke?).

Four days of no diet soda and I'm doing ok. I'm working on a ginger ale right now and mmmm. 

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#14 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 02:14 PM
bec

I have, historically had a very unhealthy relationship with food.  It fills a void.  it is an emotional treat.  I feel like I am nurturing and caring for myself when I eat.  I have worked very hard for many years now to change this dynamic.  I have focused particularly in the last 6 years.  At one point, I was down over 100 pounds.  Currently, it's still about 70 pounds less than I was at my heaviest.  This is not just a couple of vanity pounds that I have struggled with.  In the long term, for me, it is life and death stuff.  6 years ago, I was 260 pounds and a size 24, would huff and puff walking up my stairs to my house, and could not run around after my kids (or so it feels in comparison to the energy I have today), and hated myself and the way I looked.  I started by adding a little activity and taking out a little of the bad stuff (I have not only a sweet tooth, but a craving for salty/crunchy and fatty, so it's like a triple whammy of bad cravings).  With small starts, I saw some pretty big results.  I discovered running and plateaued at around 170 (according to BMI charts, I should be around 145 on the top end of healthy) for a long time.  Then, a couple of years ago, I started South Beach and lost another 25-30 pounds (I had gained a few pounds when I started, but was down to about 150 when I ran my marathon, which was the beginning of a serious derailment of nutrition and health).  Now that I'm starting up again, and have a better depth of knowledge about this way of eating, I have a slightly different perspective.  The no grains, no fruit induction period is really like a detox period.  It breaks any cravings for sugar/refined carbs. Almost like an elimination diet, as you start to add foods back in, you have much greater control over understanding what your body is reacting to.  I know that I am pretty sensitive to wheat and oats.  I tend to get more cravings from them, which leads to me eating more and wanting more of the unhealthy things.  I have learned that this is not really about weight loss.  It's about controlling the nutrition that goes into your body.  This helps me, in turn, to really control the why I'm eating and approach it from a fueling standpoint, rather than an emotional need perspective.  At the beginning, it can be kind of intense as I sort out these very physical cravings from these very emotional cravings.  As time moves on, it gets easier, more natural and less fraught with angst.  The weight loss, while nice, is actually secondary. 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#15 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 04:12 PM

Subbing.

Hi dingos!

More to say, ds having a meltdown...

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#16 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 06:06 PM

Mel - thanks...it did disturb me in a really deep manner. Interestingly I was running with another psychologist type and she has been equally disturbed.  I have reached out and talked to a few friends and that's somewhat helpful.  I think this morning's anxiety was because of when and where I was going to be running (same place and time as when we found him).  I was overwhelmed with the intensity of it.  I can honestly say it was as bad as the anxiety the night before I defended my dissertation.  That awful.  Although I'm okay tonight, thank goodness.  Thanks for your kind words.

On eating and diet and sugar.  I think I said what sugar equates for me...it may as well be crack. I can't do it halfway.  I find that I am feeling so much better and although when I smell the sweet or it's right there in front of me that's hard.  But, it's not as hard as it was a month ago.  I'm hoping over time it continues to get easier.  I also hope I remember the slippery slope and don't fool myself into thinking I can have just a small treat...

I will say I have found that by cutting the sugar that is all I focus on.  Otherwise I am not restricting my diet.  Interestingly, my body seems to be forcing me to eat more for sustenance than pleasure or boredom, etc.  I'm not sure if it's just an in the moment thing, or something that truly is a result.  I eat to my fill and enjoy what I eat, but I don't find myself obsessing about food (except when in situations where I have limited control and I worry about the sugar content).  Bottom line is I think as women we are meant to have a greater range of weight/size that all equals beauty.  How much I weigh is irrelevant to my beauty.  But feeling good in my skin?  That's beautiful, no matter what the size of my skin.

#17 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

bbm - I could do the pairing for secret sprinters if you want to send me lists.

kerc - I have a thing with Diet Coke too. I cut it out and was fine without it for years but it has crept back in. I am with 1jooj in that it does something that nothing else does. I try to substitute healthier drinks but on a bad day I just want a DC. I am cutting back and was doing well until I had a really bad day the other day and went to the grocery store and it was $2.25 for a case. At least I only bought one case.

I have been using the mynetdiary app to track my eating and exercise and it is helping. I don't have a scale so I don't know if I am losing much but it is good to see that what I eat is generally good. I just have a really hard time getting enough protein. I am pretty much sugar free except for honey in my home made chai latte every morning and the occasional bit of dark chocolate. The only grains I eat are quinoa (just about every day) and rice (once or twice a week.) My cravings have changed and I am going through kale, arugula and oranges like nobody's business. There is no way I would have believed that making a couple of changes in my diet would make me want kale instead of cookies and chips, but there you have it.

dd is much better but her neck still looks awful. She will be back to school on Monday and I really hope the other kids don't give her too hard of a time. 

Shoot - I have to run and go pick up ds from work. I am still not used to parenting teens!

#18 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

I could have written most of bec's post--down to the periods of time, the amount of weight lost and gained back, and some of the role that (mostly junk) eating plays in my life.

It was clearly a learned behavior, demonstrated as my parents unloaded some very specific junk foods from their suitcases (!) on arrival. Every time we sat on a couch or at the table, there had to be a snack food present, and snacks were sweets or savories. Both of my parents are well into the obese category. Food was an expression of everything, a balm for everything. It was celebratory or soothing, comfort or revenge. It was something (someone) to put our thoughts into. It was the distraction of flavors and textures.

When I was doing well, it was simple. It was about eating the right balance of things, which made me feel great, which tasted wonderful, and fueled me enough to work out but not too much. I've lost that sense. I know that here, food is offering to stand in as a friend, since I have none. It's offering me something where I have none; I have nowhere to go, no one to meet, no one to talk to. Food can be all those things--except it can't. Food quality is definitely a challenge for me here, compared with how we lived in WI; availability of some things is also a challenge, but I guess I can embrace the expat housewife thing and go to all the different groceries to find what I want. It's not like I don't have the time. eyesroll.gif Besides, then I guess I will have somewhere to go.

I haven't eliminated fruits, and I don't think I will. But I got myself a blender, and did make that breakfast smoothie this morning. I've stocked up on chicken and tuna and eggs, nuts and seeds and all manner of vegetables, fresh and frozen. I will be back in the groove of not feeling bad about eating a separate meal from dh and the kids when they have a stew filled with carrots and potatoes. And kids are off school today; we're cleaning the house in the morning and going to the beach in the afternoon, where I will do walk/run intervals for 45min or an hour. I'm steering clear of all grains right now, and potatoes and starchy vegetables.

It is about weight for me. Because it's not 5 pounds or even 10. I need to work hard to stay out of danger of obesity. At my slimmest, I am hanging over the edge of "overweight" because of my height. And while it's about weight, it's not really vanity, now that I get to choose between chub and loose skin. redface.gif

#19 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 08:11 PM

jo~Am I supposed to have more news? Or are you referring to the boards? If so, yes, I passed! orngbiggrin.gif I think I'm going to be fresh out of big, exciting news for awhile. I feel like I've had a series of very big events, and I need some boredom now. orngtongue.gif

bbm~hug.gif

I don't pay nearly as much attention to my diet as I should. Since XH and I separated, I have (for the most part) gotten rid of processed foods, but we still eat a lot of carbs, especially pasta. I need to get in on a co-op this summer to force me to get more veggies in. I love them, I just don't naturally gravitate to buying and cooking them, I think because I just don't have a lot of experience (hello, midwestern upbringing of canned vegetables with every meal). I do need to get it in gear, though. Not only am I up a good 10 pounds from where I want to be, but they did a lipid panel at my employee health screen, and I have high cholesterol. I'm sure there is a large genetic component, but that doesn't mean it's ok.

We are recovering from snowmaggedon here. I ended up getting cancelled from work on Thursday night, which was a-ok, but of course, no such luck for last night. Schools were out, of course, and I made the mistake of taking DS out to play in the snow and could not get the child back inside so I could take a nap! Eventually, I did, but I only got about 2 hours of sleep. The nanny's apartment complex wasn't dug out, so she couldn't get over to watch DS, but fortunately a friend/neighbor a few doors down was very gracious when I invited Tyler to have a sleepover with her DS (age 8). They actually had such a fabulous time that I tried twice to pick him up today before she let me bring him home! My friend was thrilled that the boys totally entertained each other and she had time to read her book. orngbiggrin.gif

I'm really hoping the nanny can get out of her parking lot tomorrow so I can go to spin class at the Y. Class is at 10:15, and the childwatch doesn't open till 11. I guess if she can't make it, I'll go run on the hamster wheel. I NEED a workout.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#20 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 09:29 PM

BBM, how horrific! I second the rescue remedy suggestion. It sounds like you have a good support system around you for dealing with the trauma. hug2.gif

shanti, your comparison of kale cravings to chip cravings made me hungry for kale chips yummy.gif They're always a hit here.

sparkle, you seem to have found a question that hits a nerve with many dingoes! I watched my mum yo-yo and emotionally eat throughout my childhood, multiple cycles of weight-watchers, and various other diets. Somehow, I seemed to have emerged with a pretty decent diet and metabolism and feel like I can honestly say that I have never been "on a diet" in my life. I don't feel like my messy weeks are all that messy, and the cleaner weeks are more about refocusing on how different foods make me feel. I group it with other self-improvement kinds of things that I do: I want to drive less this week, I want to spend more energy on my social life, be a more attentive parent, or whatever the focus of the moment is. I refocus when I feel like I've let things become off balance from what feels good to me.

I also know that I have seasonal fluctuations- I love summer eating and my body thrives on lots of salads and fresh fruit and eating out of the garden. I tend to shift my weight around in the winter- I'm more sedentary and lose muscle and gain fat. I know it turns around come spring, but right now is the low point of the year for me. I should say that my actual weight has been very constant through my entire adult life, pregnancies aside. I've never been overweight or had the experience of needing to work at losing weight (breastfeeding did the trick quite easily). Most of the other women in my family struggle with their weight, so I feel like a lucky anomaly. I've inherited the curvy butt/hips, but seem to have missed the genetics and/or lifestyle that keep the weight gain happening. I am a *lot* like my grandmother physically, who is the only woman in either side of my family who didn't gain weight with kids and spend the rest of their lives battling trying to lose it (my aunt told me the family formula was gain 10 lbs that never left with each pregnancy, plus another 10-20 with menopause).

NRR- My youngest wheezed all night last night. She's had a lingering cold since mid-January; I had been debating about taking her in to the doctor and decided to wait, but last night tipped the scales. The air quality is really bad here right now with fog plus wood smoke and she seems to be triggered by the cold air, too. We spent three hours this morning at the walk in clinic and pharmacy, and have her on a rescue inhaler. One dose and she was able to ride her bike and climb trees outside this afternoon. We're waiting to see the immunologist in May, so we can add this to the list of things to discuss...

RR- Dongo day with the doctor visit, other than quick jog behind the kids as they biked into town. But guess what we have planned for tomorrow, sparkle? I'm going climbing. My youngest was up a tree in a courtyard today, and as usual people stop and comment on her climbing ability (she's 2 1/2, and climbs a couple stories up and higher than any other kids will go). Another dad was hanging out with his daughter, and he used to teach climbing to 3-6 year-old kids. He convinced me that she *needs* to try it, so we're headed over to try out the local climbing wall tomorrow afternoon, health permitting. The great part is that the kids love to play in the gym there, so I might get some time to learn for myself.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#21 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 09:33 PM

Jo - you described my year in DE, where I ate a lot of crap (hello cartons of ice-cream) because I was alone and bored most of the time. I found healthy food much harder to obtain, but more important, I recognized that I needed whatever boost I was getting from eating sh** so let myself, even though I knew it wasnt a boost at all. However, I am not genetically predisposed to girth, so I *only* put in about 10 pounds, which I lost within 2 weeks of leaving.

What annoys me is that I eat more than I need to sometimes, and this results in me feeling like I need to sit or lay down for awhile until that full feeling goes away. My on-the-fly theory is that I dont require much food to maintain my preordained weight, i.e. my metabolism is sated after X, but I reeeaallly want Y and Z. So I [sometimes] keep eating, a little here, a little there, and after two hours, I want to lay on the couch for 30 minutes. I dont do it much, as I have a life, but on days like today, when the kids refuse to leave the house, and I dot really want to clean or read or whatever, I find myself returning to the kitchen. Do men do this? My Dh might, once in a rare while, but then he enjoys the eating, and the laying on the couch. Mostly though he does other stuff (read: works on one of his bikes eyesroll.gif)

I am prepared now to admit that I am a picky eater. I like very whole food, and pretty much dont eat stuff that isnt (except for said diet 7-up, which grosses me out even as I love it bag.gif), so am not tempted at potlucks or whatever to eat "bad" stuff. I will go hungry, and wait until I get home and like what Im eating, or more often, eat simply, and everyone thinks I have an eating disorder eyesroll.gif I am not a dairy person much, meaning that cheese and all relatives do almost nothing for me...except for feta on salad which is a requirement as far as Im concerned. My big fat bomb is nuts, of which I eat handfuls a day, every day....and chocolate, which I eat with every meal+ I have discovered that the more I try to limit choclate, the more I eat, and obsess!, overall. So Ive decided that relatively ample chocolate is just going to be ok.

Gaye - I luxlove.gif veggies. They are about 50% of my diet, and Im actually finding it hard to eat at restaurants b/c they serve so little bag.gif Prepping them can be a pain, but I make big batches that last 3-4 days, and always have salad fixings handy. Lately Ive been eating a lot of fritatta w/ zuchinni that I shred. I use 2 zuch and 1/2 red onion, saute, pour egg (of whatever yolk to white ratio you like) over, let set up, then stick it in the broiler for 5 minutes. You can add cheese in or on top. I sometimes do a little feta on top. Oh, and garlic! of course! Also, brussles sprouts and bacon, as y'all know

BBM - so horrific. Im glad you have support

NRR: cold.gif and fever.gif and sleepytime.gif I have had the crappiest day of illness. Right now is the best Ive felt in 9 hours. Fever, extremely painful coughing, sleep. Miserable. I cut very short a visit to the botanical gardens that I ironically finally managed to extract my kids from the house to do because I could barely stand to be upright. hope tomorrow is better

#22 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 09:41 PM

MelW - we xposted I relate very much to your diet/body evolution description, I just hate that it still means more than it should sometimes you know? orngbiggrin.gif for the climbing gym!!

#23 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 10:27 PM

Just subbing.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#24 of 489 Old 02-04-2012, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Well, Gaye, apparently it didn't sink in right with me, and flowersforyou.gif

I guess we're all in good company re: eating and all that. I do wish I didn't have that *robust* gene, but ah well. I'm sure on some level I was considering my offspring when I had kids with a 150-pound, 6-foot man. Who at almost 50 maxes out at 160 when he's been eating out too much.

BBM grouphug.gif I second Rescue Remedy, and have never tried anything else.

I removed about 12 pounds of sand and dirt from this house after a week of wind and sandstorms. Blech. The garden still looks like crap, but it can wait for another day. Now, off to get the potatoes and carrots for the above-mentioned hollow-boned heavy eater's afternoon meal. And then, on to the beach.

ETA: sparkle, that sounds like the same virus that's making the rounds here in the Gulf. I had it when my parents were here and took probably a lot more meds than I should have managing pain and fever. Then a week of the cough loosening and disappearing. Rest, rest, rest if you can. Sick sucks.

#25 of 489 Old 02-05-2012, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Subbing
#26 of 489 Old 02-05-2012, 08:30 AM

Morning mamas,

BBM - Hope the run with friends helped move through a lot of the leftover anxiety.  Rescue Remedy is pretty much all I've tried, that and homoepathic arnica which is not only good for bruises but also startling frights.

Warning: rambling me-being-selfish blahblah.gif ahead -

I'm in a scheduling crisis.  Dh let me know yesterday that he's really upset that I haven't been spending more time working on home renovation projects.  And it's true, I had promised to help more than I am.  Mainly it's because I've carved out time in the morning to go to the gym to lift, and box after I drop Ali off at school.  He day only lasts from 8:15 to 11 so by the time I finish my workout it doesn't make sense to drive 3 miles home only to turn around in 45 minutes and go back.  However, it does leave me wasting time in town that I try to fill with busywork on the play or grocery shopping but there's a limit to what I need to do there.  So then I get home with her just after 11, need to get her fed, mess around with her a bit, figure out what to start for dinner, do a bit of housework and then it's time for me to head back to town to lifeguard or hold rehearsals.  Then I'm home to do dinner and then the day is basically over and I haven't lifted a paintbrush or even created a space to work in.  Some days I can get more focused but that's unusual.  And much of the time the house is on the verge of collapse under the weight of partially folded laundry and to-be-put-away dishes.  Meanwhile he stays home and slaves away alone.  Not good.  So now I'm thinking that he should take dd to town and see what happens to his day.  He also needs to get some exercise, will he fit it in then?  Will he come home?  I know that compared to some our daily commute of ~12 miles isn't huge but will he really add another 6?   And if I give up my MWF mornings in the gym (I won't give up boxing), when will I get there to lift?  All I have at home is one pair of 8lb dumbbells.  I know I can do a lot with bodyweight but it is really upsetting to have just gotten into a really healthy (for me only) rhythm only to have to give it up just as I'm beginning to see results.  But I know I've been overly selfish about my time.  Should I just decide to suck up the extra gas on the car and hit the gym at 6 when it opens and be home in time to wake kids up for school at 7?  Should I go after dinner and bring the kids with me?  They can't watch tv anyway during the week so maybe it wouldn't be so bad.  I don't know and of course dh and I barely ever get a chance to talk without the kids listening in and interrupting. 

Okay, ramble over, just needed somewhere to headscratch.gif.

Now I'm skipping church so I can work on the house.  That somehow seems wrong but what can you do?

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#27 of 489 Old 02-05-2012, 09:09 AM

BBM, that sounds so scary and traumatic! hug2.gif

Plady, well...as for me, I'd probably go early and suck up the gas. It's not that much gas, and it's important. And as for giving up church for working on the house -- God understands prayers no matter where they're said. shy.gif Talk as you work. I have my best conversations with God when I'm running, which is not exactly 'holy ground' but it works for me.

JayGee, your tights rock my world. I love them. I'm convinced they've given me superpowers. THANK YOU!!!! thumb.gif

Food...ahhh, yeah. I have tremendous issues around food, starting with a mom with disordered eating who is a size 2 on a 'fat' day and has impeccable (if a bit overdone) sense of style. I have not inherited ectomorph genes -- can you say, hearty Jewish Russian peasant? eyesroll.gif  And a constant sense, since I was very young, that food is both my enemy and my secret pleasure/ally. I still eat at least 2 out of 3 meals standing up, alone, and surreptitiously. 

However, since the celiac diagnosis last spring, *what* I eat and how it affects my body has changed drastically and though I've had some unpleasant false starts and mistakes, I feel like a new person. I finally dropped (most of) the post-baby bloat, am eating a lot healthier (produce, rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, etc.). That combined with my mileage increasing has meant I've dropped about 25 lbs. in a year and a half and look better than I ever have -- even though I'm still a few pounds over what I was before I started fertility treatments to get pregnant with my first, in 1999. Three kids, many fertility treatments, and 7 combined years of nursing later, my body is again my own. And to be truthful, I no longer feel like I"m at war with it, at least right now. I like what I see (below the neck! ugh, the wrinkles that are coming out!!!) and how I feel. I could use some upper body and core work but I am wearing clothes that actually fit these days because I don't feel like I have to hide in them anymore

Unfortunately I also have a very bad diet coke habit which I am trying to break. I keep falling off that wagon though. Sigh.

I have more I wanted to say about this but I forgot what it was. In the meantime I have to get 5 children (not all mine!) to two different birthday parties which are called for *exactly* the same times. At least they're both up in Amherst/Northampton which is my favorite place to be, so I'm taking dd2 to Trader Joe's and the Northampton shopping district (funky and hippy! orngbiggrin.gif ) while dd1 and her 2 friends, and ds and his friend are all at their parties. 

Oh, did I mention dh suggested that I find a massage oil warmer, to improve...uh...post athletic cross training? orngtongue.gif Heh. 

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#28 of 489 Old 02-05-2012, 10:22 AM

Plady - I'd use the gas, go at 6...

#29 of 489 Old 02-05-2012, 12:25 PM

Plady, personally I'd feel rushed with the morning gym and need to get back home. My strategy would be to get up earlier and make bag lunches for all (even yourself), throw dinner in the crockpot, and get laundry and misc. housework done to see if that frees up the afternoon for reno work. 

Nic, have a fun afternoon (and evening winky.gif)

Spatkle, hope you feel better soon. 

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#30 of 489 Old 02-05-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post

Plady, personally I'd feel rushed with the morning gym and need to get back home. My strategy would be to get up earlier and make bag lunches for all (even yourself), throw dinner in the crockpot, and get laundry and misc. housework done to see if that frees up the afternoon for reno work. 

Nic, have a fun afternoon (and evening winky.gif)

Spatkle, hope you feel better soon. 

I'm being lazy... I agree with all of the above.

I'm skipping kettlebell this afternoon so I can get my grading caught up (last time I schedule 2 exams for my students on the same day!!!).  I'll do a workout tonight after I get the kids in bed.  I'm fighting with an upper respiratory infection that has so much freaking drainage that I'm coughing all the time... except when I'm up and moving around... not happening with my pile of grading.  Sigh.

Boot Camp starts tomorrow.  Pray for me.  LOL

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page