Dingoes Marching into Spring! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-07-2012, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow, BBM. #1 and 2 describe the majority of my experiences with kids--wait, and also adults--in our current environment. That is scary on too many levels to contemplate right now.

That said, I just picked up an Emirati neighbor in my car (I don't know her but did get her to tell me her name) and drove her down the street to her house door because she was limping with an injury. Her knee, she said, and she is afraid it might be bad. A shy young woman in police academy. She asked where I was from (I was pleased to be able to tell her) and told me I was too, too nice. coolshine.gif

Tomorrow I will report a run.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 07:46 AM

mmmm, zoombinis.  That sounds good!

Re:Bullying - So, just when I thought it was safe to go back in the pool, this email came into dd's account yesterday from a girl I only know by her reputation as a nasty little biddy. "DO U LIKE *******? CAUSE SHES ELAYSBIEN PS
******** LIKES *****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  *names withheld  So do I pass this on to the principal because of the nasty bullying implied or do I pass it on because the school is obviously failing to teach spelling?  Or do I contact the parents who I don't know and just give them the heads up?  Honestly there seems to be an epidemic going on in the school this year.  Not surprisingly I guess since the principal that got ousted last year got the most recognition for how well he could handle bullying.  eyesroll.gifangry.gifguilty.gif

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 03-07-2012, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Oh good grief, Plady!

Yes, I'd print and hand it to the principal.  That's bullying and harassment.  Remind the principal of well-publicized suicides amongst (pre)teenagers as a result of perceived sexuality.

Your comment on spelling made me laugh.  I had to read it out loud to figure out what it said, which at least puts that kid ahead of mine in the spelling department. 

I'm glad you got to the email first.

Alright, BBM, get your cape.  We're going on a knockin the bullys' heads dingo tour.

Yes, jo, you can take the jo out of WI, but you can't take the WI out of Jo.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:08 AM

Here I am to save the day!

Dingo daughters (and sons) get out the way!

Hail oh meanie butts

Your'e going to fly!

Love to give some humble pie!

Okay the last line stunk...but you got it ;) And you must of course sing it to the tune of underdogs...

Old 03-07-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Popping in, way way behind on the thread. I survived my first week as an RN! And three in a row, no less! As far as I know, no patients were harmed, no medication errors were made, and I didn't screw anything up TOO badly. orngtongue.gif

I think I kinda like this gig. I mean, seriously...I got paid to sit around and just hold a baby for about an hour. love.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 03-07-2012, 10:45 AM

I skimmed a bit. Hope that the bullying issues get resolved for all dealing with it soon...

I'm still doing my kettlebell and boot camp classes, bit the bullet and tried spin.  Still doing Weight Watchers and loving it... official weigh in is tomorrow and I'll get another 5 lb sticker and my 10% loss sticker. joy.gif  I'm working on improving my ability to actually run, not just walk/run.  At boot camp earlier this week I actually managed to run for 15 minutes straight without falling down. :) Goal is to add 5 minutes to time every 2 weeks for the next couple months and to decrease time spent walking.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:45 AM

What all this bullying makes me think of is Israel and Iran, the lady who flipped me off when I was driving today, rude people in general, etc. In short, bullying is everywhere, and I dont want to say that it's a facet of human nature, but I think until everyone gets what they need, and we all nurture each other, people will act out on other people for the very reasons BBM mentioned. I see bully's as people hurt, sad, needing support, whatever. Nobody bullies who has been raised like Shanti's son. I feel a great sadness about how many hurt people there are, and so they perpetuate the hurt.

Not that this is an excuse, and that there shouldnt be consequences. It just makes me feel like what the bullies really need, they havent received and may never greensad.gif

On the *upside*, it's a heart-felt lesson for our kids on what kind of people they do and dont want to be, and on why people are aggressive and hurtful. Hurt begets hurt.

RR: rest day

NRR: Ive been on the phone for HOURS with hotels (team trip planning), landscapers, painters, window people, and on and on. We have all this work to do on the house, and as expected, the leader of this family is taking the lead on all of it irked.gif

Oh yeah, does anyone have ideas for a goat costume? Found out late last night that I need one by Friday for DD1 - she's the big billy goat gruff eyesroll.gif. I'm not a sewer ... one who sews, although Im not a sewer either wink1.gif I'm thinking a gray hoodie with some antlers, some kind of fur fabric attached to her chest, a little tail. What about the face/nose?

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 03-07-2012, 01:32 PM

All these Dinglets out there that need it ~ I'm sending lots of love.  For all the bullies picking on our babies, I'm ready to kick some @$$!  superhero.gif

BBM ~ Can you share that muffin recipe?  Or is it on the Dingo cooking blog?

Not much going on here.  No goat baby.  No FM.  Feeling run down today actually.  Lots of melting snow.  So ready for real spring and real sunshine. 

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 03-07-2012, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Secret Sprinter - I love.gif you!!  You just made my day. Our car broke down while I was picking the kids up from school and I finally got home dreading all there still is to do today. Now I have my new socks on and I will start playing with that handspun yarn  as soon as I get the chance. Thank you!

No time to run today but I did get some work done and it sure feels good to get my feet back in the adult world again. 

Both dd's had done some legwork on their science fair projects before they got sick and then forgot all about them until they went back to school on Monday. Then they realized that the science fair was being held today and there was a mad flurry of activity Monday and last night to get everything finished. Both girls are going on to the Regionals! WooHoo!!

Will catch up on some personals when I have a few more minutes. I don't know what I would do without my Dingo friends!

Old 03-07-2012, 09:46 PM

Shanti, congrats to your DDs on the science fair, and hooray for SS brightening a difficult day!

Dimitrizmom, congrats on the weight loss and running gains.

jo, I pick up strangers from bus stops in the rain and the occasional hitchhiker, much to my kids' dismay. Both are slow to warm up to strangers, and not entirely thrilled that I suddenly stop the car for my favourite hitchhiker, even if he's a really interesting young man who likes to talk about politics and community gardening; they're more concerned that he's also a landscaper who doesn't smell great at the end of a workday.

Sparkle, a little pink nose of face pain would finish off the goat costume nicely. And yes, hurt begets hurt. My kids got extra hugs tonight as I remembered this, because I hope the corollary is that love begets love.

BBM, I like your anti-bullying curriculum. bec, there are lots of programs out there, to the point that anti-bullying has become a moneymaker. Not a lot of it has been evaluated for "effectiveness" though since I suspect you're trying to find something meaningful for your kids this is less about money and "proven effectiveness" that it is about learning compassion and empathy and also strategies for protecting oneself in the face of the abuse of power/bullying.

real, that's a crazy sandstorm! Were you trying to push the stroller through that?

I wish I knew how running could fit into my current schedule. I'm really maxed out on what I can afford for babysitters, and have used up most of the babysitting favours/family goodwill over the past few months. I might be able to convince my MIL to take the girls for a little while on Sunday mornings if I dropped them at her house, but otherwise I think I'm sticking with bootcamp twice a week (the kids come with me) and whatever strength training and mini-aerobic circuits I can do at home. As the weather gets nicer I could do some short runs with my oldest on her bike and youngest in the stroller, but we max out at 20-30 minutes and it can be quite stop and go. And six more weeks until my husband gets home...

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 03-07-2012, 11:30 PM

sparkle, a little strip of "beard" might go a long way toward achieving goat-face. :) I think of Mr. Picante (my old goat-boyfriend) and Napoleon (my other goat-boyfriend) with huge fondness. *sniff* You could also make paper cylinder "hooves" with a stapler, like cuffs about the wrist with a snip to cleave the hooves. Also not a sewer, or a sewer. winky.gif

BBM, I love this idea of surrounding the target in a circle of protective peers. Salon has a whole page of articles about bullying and bullies, including adults at work. They go into the whole mindset question there, too, and like sparkle said, it is heartbreaking because the root causes continue to go more or less ignored. Ugh. And I agree with Mel that there's that fine line between empowerment and victim-blame, but the biggest lesson seems to be teaching kids to have a default setting that says, "this is [bully]'s problem" and not "what did I do and how am I supposed to fix this?" I had a work situation with a bully back at the office shortly after I started and looking back and reading the article, I realize I was a textbook target: new, competent and empathetic. eyesroll.gif We want our kids to be competent and empathetic, but not to internalize the issue and take responsibility for the behavior.

MelW, I am happy to know there are other people out there who still pick up hitchhikers, too. Our third-world experience probably is what keeps dh and me in this mindset and maybe someday it will bite us, but I don't want to let fear or cynicism dictate my choices. We've had some real stinkers too. orngbiggrin.gif

Thank you again, Dingoes. I am feeling about 100 pounds lighter today. All is never perfect, but I thank you for valuing my perspective, respecting my intelligence and validating my feelings.

OK, off I go to the beach, because I can. And there is yoga in the air today.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:01 AM

Yes Jo! When I work with kids I talk about how we put targets on our backs and how we can remove them.  But of course talking about that while we may have drawn attention to ourselves, it doesn't make it right and we keep our power by choosing our response. This is true whether we are the target or the onlooker. 

Old 03-08-2012, 06:33 AM
bec

Thank you ladies for your input.  This is where the wisdom of empathetic kids truly astonishes me.  These kids came to this theme while coming up with a "heroine" story as part of a journey they are doing.  They wrote this script that has the whole troop as a super hero group that discovers a someone bullying a Daisy scout.  They break up the incident and a couple of the super heroes take the victim off for ice cream.  Then, they confront the bully.  In addition to letting the bully know that what they are doing is in no way acceptable, they also try to figure out why the bully was being so mean, and, instead of shunning, try to befriend the bully on the condition that they treat people nicely.  The girls even threw in a back slide where they catch the bully being mean again.  But, through their leadership, make the bully want to stop being mean and rather be part of the group. 

The thing that struck me about this (and the kids came up with it all on their own.  I was tired that day and sitting down nursing a diet coke) was the compassion and inclusiveness the girls were feeling.  Clearly, they solved the need of the victim to be protected, seen, and validated, just as they addressed the conflicting need of the bully. 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 03-08-2012, 06:58 AM

Mel - hope you can get the time in for you. 

Babybugmama - that made me chuckle. Thanks for helping to start my day out. :)

Shanti - congrats to your dd's on the science fair. What did they do their projects on?

1jooj - the beach sounds lovely!

bec - wow - that's great!  Can I borrow that group to play with my kids?  They sound like a fabulous bunch.

NRR: I've given 3 exams in 2 days, so now need to get them graded today. I'm also dealing with some stuff for ds from his school.  Seriously, if/when we move, I will probably homeschool or dual enroll him - he just doesn't do well with large numbers of other kids.  He is that kid that puts a target on his own back and then he gives a huge response when provoked.  We are working with him, but it seems like we take 2 steps forward and 1.5 steps backward.

RR: Today is kettle bell.  I've upped my bell to 20 lbs and we'll have a different instructor today so I'm hoping for a real sweat fest.  Planning on another 40 minutes of cardio at some point today (maybe a jog/walk with dd2 in the stroller if it warms up enough).

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:27 AM

Recipe for Zoombini muffins (name changed to please my children):

3 eggs lightly beaten

1 cup maple syrup

1/2 cup honey

8 drops stevia (you could just add a little more honey or maple syrup)

1 cup butter (I did a mix of butter and oil)

1 T vanilla

3 C flour

2 t baking soda

1 t baking powder (both baking soda and powder are increased from original recipe to handle the liquid sweetener vs. sugar)

(but these are the increased amounts)

1/2 t salt

2 t cinnamon

1 t nutmeg

1 t cloves

1 cup shredded zucchini

1 cup pumpkin

Preheat oven to 350*, cook for 20 to 30 minutes.  I cooked 20 minutes, the increased liquid sweetener and baking soda change cooking times.  You can also fiddle with cooking slightly lower temps, like 325* for a little longer.  But these turned out perfect.

The original recipe:

3 eggs

2 cups brown sugar

1 c butter

1 T vanilla

3 C flour

1 t baking soda

1/2 t baking powder

1/2 t salt

1/2 t cinnamon

1/2 t nutmeg

1/2 t cloves

1 cup zucchini

1 cup pumpkin

Old 03-08-2012, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

dd2 and I are both sick today but even so I am really happy. I just heard back from the high school principal and he not only followed up really well with my ds, but also with the other student and the police. The seriousness of what he did was made abundantly clear. Let's just hope he is able to take it in and learn to think and act differently. This incident is on his permanent educational record, the police will be contacting him and his parents, and anything even remotely close to an incident like this and there will be an immediate eght week suspension and likely criminal charges for hate crimes. I don't know what I think of suspension as a consequence but that length of time would likely cost him a semester and at the very least, having that looming over his head might get the parents to take it seriously. 

I sometimes think we DIngoes should form our own anti-bullying curriculum and travel all over to teach it. There is so much wisdom and experience in this group.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:49 AM

Popping in to report 80 minutes; 60/bike intervals, 20 run/walk. I can feel the effect of weight lifting on the increasing ease of pushing hard on the bike.

Got an estimate for landscaping/clean-up for our yard. $1200 jaw.gif Looks like I'll be getting to work in the yard myself mischievous.gif Ugh

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 03-08-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post

I sometimes think we DIngoes should form our own anti-bullying curriculum and travel all over to teach it. There is so much wisdom and experience in this group.

I wish there was less experience with bullying, but I agree.

Shanti I hope you guys are better soon. 

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 03-08-2012, 04:49 PM

Yay Shanti!

Such awesome runs the last two nights. Last night I had plans to run on the track and do some speed work only to find the high school team dominating it.  So I looped around the school, spotted the distance track runners about 1/3 of a mile ahead of me (maybe more, I dunno) and set a goal of catching and passing them.  I did, but sucked wind doing it.  Still it felt good and I accomplished some speed.

Tonight was a 6 miler with a friend.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Bah. I seem to have succumbed to the crud that DS has been carting around for the past several weeks. I guess it's good it held off until my days off, but really....like this is how I wanted to spend my days off. irked.gif I was supposed to go run with friends this morning, and it was ridiculously beautiful weather for it, but instead, I slept all morning. And afternoon. And am about to go to bed at 7 pm.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 03-08-2012, 07:16 PM

Some of you will laugh and it isn't so much compared to some years when I have hit 1000 miles before Thanksgiving but I realized I am over 100 miles for the year. The super bonus is that dh is running with me and childcare is not a huge issue with two teens in the house to help out.

In other good news, I tried hot yoga and am sold! I walked into the room and it felt like home, in August. It was a moist heat w/o being to terribly sticky - they were running humidifiers and I sat right in front of one. I sat there waiting for class feeling like I was standing in the driveway talking to a wonderful friend while we waited for her van to cool down enough that she could load the babies w/o baking them. I looked up the temp when I got home - 103F. The lady that kept Linus during class totally understood. She is a runner also (we are doing the 10K together next weekend) and we talked about how we haven't really had a good sweat while running lately. It was beautiful and weird. lol.gif

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:33 AM

Yikes, it's been too long since I've posted!  I read along on my iPad, but never seem to have the time to get on the actual computer (and hate typing on the iPad eyesroll.gif).

Shanti ~ I am SO glad the principal took such swift and appropriate action!  Way to go Mama joy.gif!  Your DS sounds like an awesome kid.

Jooj ~ my thoughts remain with you and your family as you navigate the strange, new "normal" there.  I think your decision is a sound one.

tjsmama ~ feel better hug2.gif.  You've been so busy and burning the candle at both ends.  You need the rest.

sparkle ~ nice job on the bike intervals!  I'm taking mine out this weekend for an outside ride.  It's too nice here to be riding in my dank basement anymore.

bec ~ your troop's play sounds amazing! 

RR ~ I've been doing something every day.  Cardio-circuit on Tuesday/Thursday, pilates and a walk/run on Wednesday and today.  Feeling good.  The MRI of my peroneal nerve is scheduled for Wednesday, and after that I'll be able to make some real decisions about starting C25K now (if no surgery is needed), or later.  All I know is that this lovely, early Spring is calling for me to run.

NRR ~ Crazy, crazy busy.  Seriously, I'm never home anymore due to my volunteer schedule and my house really looks it.  Two of my kids didn't have clean pants this morning because I haven't done laundry in about 5 days.  DH was home sick Tuesday and Wednesday and said, "Now I know why the house is never clean anymore.  You're never home to clean it!" eyesroll.gif.  Oh, and I got the library job for next year, but apparently there is no funding for it so it's more volunteer work.  I am working on finding a library grant that would fund more books/materials and a small stipend for the coordinator (me).  At least I'll have an item for my resume and a letter or two of recommendation from the principals and the district librarian if I do a good job.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 03-09-2012, 08:03 AM

Mommajb - I haven't been a fan of heat much but suddenly I'm really enjoying the occasional stop into the sauna.  The other day I was in there and thought how it would probably feel really good to do yoga in that temp.

JayGee - Congrats on the job and I hope you can get some $ for it! 

Bec - Those girls sound terrific, for which I'm sure you can take some credit!

Sparkle - Yay for feeling progress!

DM - I really wish our gym had some kettleballs to try, they look so cool! 

BBm - THanks fo the recipe!

Shanti - I'm glad to hear things are being dealt with. 

On my end I haven't followed up the email thing yet.  I realized that if it was my kid sending it I'd want the parents to contact me before they contacted the school so I've been trying to call the kid's parents but never get any answer to the number in the school directory and they aren't in the phone book.  This is such a small island it's hard to believe I don't already know them at all but I don't.  So I'm still sitting on it not sure what to do next.  This morning dh and I have been called in to the principal's office to discuss C's troubles.  I don't know what is on the agenda but I must admit I'm not really looking forward to it.  This week has been one of those interrupted-sleep-every-night ones and I just feel completely dragged out today.  But, I'm taking strength from knowing that everyone here has made it through weeks like these too.

RR: Weight trained and boxed on schedule this week.  I'm a little unsure about today, it's jam packed but there's a chance that if I do buy the 1988 (yes, '88) Honda accord I'm looking at at noon I'll have wheels to make my afternoon a little more flexible.  I still feel like I'm dodging a cold though so I'll probably do an easier routine if I make it to the gym at all.

Got my dress for the wedding altered very slightly to make the top fit.  It looks great, I met an amazing woman in the process and she asked me for all of $2 for the service.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 03-09-2012, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Well, Plady, you've already got a meeting with the principal, I sure hope you bring a print out.  Go in with an attitude of wanting to work together to help C grow resistant to these pressures so that she neither receives nor participates in the bullying.

For me, we've got DS into 2nd grade next year.  joy.gifMath not yet close to fixed.  irked.gif  I've hired an advocate, who can hopefully fix it, and at the same time written to the author of all the books on issues like this asking for advice.  Evidently she answers emails, but is currently on vacation.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:53 AM

That geofizz, she's a smart cookie. I think she totally is right on with advice plady.

Mommajb: I hear you on heat. I melt in humidity, but I'm not going to lie to you: there's a reason people up here in the Great White North have the sauna. Preferably heated with wood and then with water over some rocks for steam. Followed by a jump through the hole in the ice.

BBM: I made the muffins 100% pumpkin this morning. Too sweet, I think when you do that (100% pumpkin) you need to just use 1 cup of brown sugar. I don't have all that other stuff in my house.

Jaygee: I am considering hiring a house cleaner to come and scrub the house before my spring break. So that I don't spend all my time off scrubbing the grit that accumulates everywhere. It really is that bad. I am also in the midst of a semi-annual decluttering spree.

I saw the Northern Lights again last night. And so did my kids. Yay! for night owl dad who was up reading and remembered to go out and look.

Can someone speculate on why every single time I ovulate I have serious midcycle spotting? I could go into more detail, but I'll keep it not TMI.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 03-09-2012, 10:08 AM

Yay geo!!!!! So glad he's doing the skip!

Kerc - my muffin recipe calls for only 1 cup of brown sugar too. Two would be very sweet. Cool on seeing the northern lights.

RR - great Pilates class and 40 minute walk. I really am getting much stronger in the core thanks to 2x a week Pilates class.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 03-09-2012, 10:11 AM

Interesting since I didn't do the recipe exactly like either since I doubled it.  But I realized after your comments, I kept my honey and syrup what I posted...but everything else was double.  So I would've only had 1 cup of honey and syrup with about 8 drops of stevia.  Sorry about that all...  But I didn't make it with the brown sugar, I often find you don't need a fraction of the honey/syrup to approximate the sweetness.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:05 PM

Mamajb - I am SO pleased to hear you in good spirits and that you have found someone to run with and watch your children now and then joy.gif One step at a time.

JG - looking forward to hearing about the mri !!

RR: Weight circuit. Felt good. Getting stronger. Doesnt hurt that there is a hottie-trainer working there who i sort of flirt with. If anyone knows who Idris Elba is (Stringer Bell from The Wire, or Luther in the BBC show), he is a dead ringer. I first said, "Do you know who Idris Elba is?" and he laughed and said "yeah, people ask me for autographs", and I said "It's not a bad thing". So today I said "I watched you on TV last night", he laughed; "Luther?". Me: "yeah" Dh just laughs at me

NRR: Going to see dd1 in Billy Goat's Gruff

Old 03-09-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

or do I pass it on because the school is obviously failing to teach spelling?

It's not a funny situation, but that comment cracked me up. I think maybe both would be a good idea, in part to keep the school informed that it's not coming from just one source, though without necessarily asking them to intervene (yet).

The larger bullying picture so complicated. There are the mean people and I don't know what's to be done about them besides have others who are willing to stand up for the bullied, promote respectful environments, etc. I really think it would help a great deal if various media personalities would model respect, but they don't and TV personalities don't to the extent that I'm wondering if what people perceive to be rude might also be changing.

And then there are the people who really see everything as black and white with no in-between who I suspect don't mean to bully and don't get that they're doing it. I'm thinking here of a particular first grader (not my own) who was arguing about and eventually yelling at me over what activity we were doing at my table. It ended when I told her to take it up with the teacher. "She's not following the rules!" I heard her wail, outraged. Needless to say, I was doing the activity I was supposed to be doing. She's not a mean kid to the best of my knowledge, but she digs in her heels big time when she's sure she's right, and I hate to see how that must play out if she's convinced one of her friends has wronged her.

MelW--no, no stroller through that sand. I don't know how running would fit in that schedule either if the weather isn't cooperating.

Dmitrizmom--your ds is my DD2's age, right? Things might change radically by the time he's ready for kindy, at least on the social side of things. I'm amazed that DD1 does as well as she does given the kind of person she was at 2. In her case, she's displaced some of the behavior, but she's doing so much better than I ever expected.

JayGee--glad to hear you got the job, even if it turned into a volunteer position. Hopefully some grants will come through.

kerc--I was having that before J (and now again afterward). The naturopath I saw told me it was due to low progesterone (breakthrough bleeding). It was more than spotting, FWIW, and it tended to last anywhere between 1-5 days. She had me start drinking RRL tea and if I drink it daily (1-2 cups) it seems to help. Apparently vitex could help too, though it'll also make you more fertile.

RR: 3 yesterday plus a Nike Training Club workout. Thanks so much to the Dingo who recommended it (MelW? I think it was you). My quads hurt!

NRR: J's 2nd birthday is Sunday. bigeyes.gif I'm going through another period of trying to figure out what I want to do with my life (continue the PT thing and volunteering some at school and all, or actively pursue more employment and income?), though DH mostly has me sold on the former as a way to continue "focusing on my research." I am doing research though. And all that was triggered by an opportunity to network at a lecture earlier this week. Mostly it went well, except for the moment when I was talking to the speaker, a Harvard prof and big name in the field, and I completely flubbed the part where I present working PT as if it's part of a plan and not as if it's the result of having two small children, a tenure-track husband and a crappy local job market (when people ask what I'm teaching currently and I explain that I only have one class due to the department recently hiring more FT people, that story is down pat, but it doesn't explain why I'm not applying elsewhere or seemingly having a plan...hence the flub). I didn't go to network with *her* 'cause I'm just not at that level, but it was a good reminder that I need to work on my elevator pitch, so to speak, before the regional conference at the end of the month. (Prof Dingos, would you mind reading my thoughts over on the Prof Mamas 2011 thread? Thanks!)

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 03-09-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post

RR: 3 yesterday plus a Nike Training Club workout. Thanks so much to the Dingo who recommended it (MelW? I think it was you). My quads hurt!

It was me. Glad you liked it! Happy birthday to J and good luck with the career path planning.

Plady, good luck with your principal meeting. I hope that it brings forth positive solutions for your family and community.

sparkle, my husband has a huge crush on Idris Elba. He probably wouldn't be too happy that I'm sharing that online lol.gif.

kerc, any chance you have an IUD? I've had ovulation/mid-cycle spotting since I got a copper IUD, with my current best theory being that the (very short) strings are able to move and poke around in my cervix more as it opens when I'm ovulating and I get a bit of cervical bleeding. Cool about the northern lights.

Geo, joy.giffor a partial solution. Good luck with the math placement challenge.

Shanti, I am so relieved to hear that the school is taking things seriously.

JayGee, congrats on the job, and fingers crossed for some grant money.

NRR- Survived the first week of the clinical teaching contract. They seem like a good group of students, and it's my third time teaching at this facility and it keeps getting easier. The kids are both having big developmental leaps right now- my youngest (three next month) is suddenly very sophisticated with her language. And quizzes me on ingredient lists: "do those canned peaches have citric acid in them?" My oldest is so independent, and working on endless projects on her own. She spent an entire day practicing drawing for fashion designing. Maybe my sewing machine will come out of the crawlspace soon.

RR- Bootcamp tonight. I'm ready to "get my sweat on" after an otherwise dongo week.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Tags
Fitness
User Tag List