Forum Jump: 

#121 of 332 Old 03-12-2012, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Keep calm and RUN on!  Thank you SS!

We went away for the weekend.  We rented a cabin for DH's birthday (which was last month).  Ahhhhh, it was so relaxing.  Lots of hiking, games, naps, star gazing and hot tubing.  Totally worth it.

I've read everything to here, but I'm struggling to respond. 

We're thinking of heading northward to camp this summer.  I'm not sure how far we're willing to drive, but we definitely want to head cooler rather than warmer.

Our summer is still in flux.  I thought I had it figured out, but <sigh>  reworking from close-to-scratch. 

mackinaw, just southwest of the bridge is lovely.....cooler, lake swimming, hiking....

Also the west side of mi -- lu d ington (damn iPad spelling) very nice beaches , bike riding. Otherwise in wisconsin you need to be north of madison...

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#122 of 332 Old 03-12-2012, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

All except for DD puking all over the inside of our tent, coming down with a 104 F, deciding to pack up and leave a night early at 6 pm, one of our favorite camping trips ever was near Traverse City, across the street from Interlochen.  We could hear the concerts as we went to bed at night.  Peaceful, lovely swimming (lake), fabulous time.

#123 of 332 Old 03-12-2012, 05:35 PM

I could use some virtual hugs right now mamas. I can't say much of anything except that I am feeling very much in the mind of looking out onto the world from behind a thick, impenetrable pane of glass that I cannot traverse and that, when all is said and done, we go through the world alone and have to learn to depend only on ourselves.

And this is not a feeling or idea I want to pass on to my children and I dearly hope it's not so for them. But for me, I think, it is.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#124 of 332 Old 03-12-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

I could use some virtual hugs right now mamas. I can't say much of anything except that I am feeling very much in the mind of looking out onto the world from behind a thick, impenetrable pane of glass that I cannot traverse and that, when all is said and done, we go through the world alone and have to learn to depend only on ourselves.

And this is not a feeling or idea I want to pass on to my children and I dearly hope it's not so for them. But for me, I think, it is.

But you see, we all have a turn playing that behind the glass. And then, suddenly, you're not (behind the glass that is) and you can depend on others and they can depend on you. In the meantime you should envision the Dingos circling you, strengthening you to do move forward and do whatever you need to do.

#125 of 332 Old 03-12-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

hug.gif Nic! - bawling.gif Oh Mama, I have been there, even the feeling of wondering if I should never have had kids because I dont want them to ever feel that way. But then, it passes. And I feel connected again, like Kerc said. It's part of being human, and part to be able to support those down in the rabbit hole when you are not there. Yes, we are encircling you, and lifting you, and just keeping you company as you move through this, and you will grouphug.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#126 of 332 Old 03-12-2012, 06:51 PM

Nic, I hear that. grouphug.gif

PM/email any time if you need, but please oh please know how deeply a part of our lives you are, and if you can be such virtually, then no doubt IRL too. But I know how you feel to the extent that I wrote something similar yesterday myself.

Dd home from school today. She has a cold, but is also overtired and fed up. She excused herself from the classroom yesterday to work in the hallway because it was noisy in the room. She came home with a tension headache. So I am letting her sleep in and when she does get up, we'll walk to the beach and walk on the beach and relax.

I rode my bike around town a little yesterday and did a little walking but no run. Either a cold or allergies is bugging me.

#127 of 332 Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 PM

grouphug.gif  Nic, we got you.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#128 of 332 Old 03-12-2012, 10:50 PM

Nic--we're here for you. goodvibes.gif

kerc--that was beautiful.

1jooj--I've been meaning to respond elsewhere but yahoo sometimes does not like me. Sending support and love your way, and the knowledge that you are wise and patient and deserve good things.

RR: school pick-up run, first of the 2012 year. Also first time out in months with the double jogger. Hills hurt.

NRR: cannot wait for DH to get through his newest period of feeling overwhelmed. It comes with all the usual drama and awfulness and frankly, I have enough on my plate without the nonsense. I'm taking comfort in the fact that we will not see each other much between now and the end of the week.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#129 of 332 Old 03-13-2012, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I wish there was a way to have a Dingo weekend together. Nursing little ones welcome but other than that, just time for us as women, not wives and mamas too. Seems like a lot of us could use that right about now. Too bad that geography, time, money - in short, reality! - gets in the way of that happening.

grouphug.gif

#130 of 332 Old 03-13-2012, 05:42 AM

Shanti - that is a wonderful idea:)

Nic - oh dear. I hate to think of you in such a dark place. Dingos are with you, always.

Jo - that sounds like a nice day with your DD.

RR - walk/run intervals for 30 minutes, spin class, then abs class yesterday. Today is cardio circuit and a walk with a friend. Tomorrow is MRI day so I'm trying for maximum inflammation eyesroll.gif.

NRR - I finished my Whole30 joy.gif! I lost 11 pounds, my moods are totally stabilized, I like black coffee! That's it in a nutshell. Tonight I plan to have a celebratory glass of wine, but other than that, I don't see myself adding in much else. I still want to lose another 5-7 pounds.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#131 of 332 Old 03-13-2012, 05:46 AM
bec

Shanti - YES!!!!!!  I so need that!  And things are going pretty well for me right now! 

Nic - I think Kerc did say it best.  We have all been behind that glass, dimly watching the world go by without being part of it.  And, as she said, we are surrounding you, supporting, loving, accepting and encouraging. 

ND - Good to see you!!!!  And congratulations!!

Geo - I would love to camp near interlochen.  I have some cousins that went there to perform pretty regularly through college. 

Jo - I cannot imagine a child feeling like she needed to leave the classroom because of noise!  I hope she finds the walk on the beach with you restorative!

RR:  Well, instead of running yesterday, I went to the giant 100th anniversary celebration for Girl Scouts with my kids.  It was at the mall and was a nice ceremony.  Unfortunately, the sound system was not working very well, so it was hard to hear.  But, I felt like I was taking part in something historic.  I tried to get that across to the kids, but I'm not sure they got it.  I think they were bored cause they couldn't hear, and it was crowded.  I hope that, as time passes, as adults, they will be able to look back on it as something cool and memorable that they took part in. 

I also worked yesterday, and while I had time to get something in after I got home, my legs were so tired.  I might be PMS'ing.  I think DH certainly feels like I am (although, I think it is more him picking arguments with me over the last few days), so that might be why I'm feeling so low energy.  Or, it could be my insane schedule that has me doing activities, birthdays, surgeries, girl scouting, and working all at the same time catching up with me. 

On the upside, it is gorgeous here today, and should be through the rest of the week, and my crocuses are blooming!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#132 of 332 Old 03-13-2012, 06:45 AM

joy.gif AF arrived today, 10 days late Wasnt worried about being an "older mom" (snip snip) lol.gif but sure dont like the shadow of perimenopause yikes2.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#133 of 332 Old 03-13-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

joy.gif AF arrived today, 10 days late Wasnt worried about being an "older mom" (snip snip)  but sure dont like the shadow of perimenopause yikes2.gif

LOL.

ROTFLMAO.giflol.gifROTFLMAO.gif

#134 of 332 Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 AM

Also itunes is randomly playing my library this morning and I want to send this (video on You Tube) out to Nic and Jo and Shanti and everyone else. I didn't make the YouTube video, but by linking to someone else's I can easily share. I think the universe is talking this morning -- this is the first song that came up when I hit "shuffle" on itunes.

#135 of 332 Old 03-13-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

joy.gif AF arrived today, 10 days late Wasnt worried about being an "older mom" (snip snip) lol.gif but sure dont like the shadow of perimenopause yikes2.gif

Yikes! Yours are spacing out, while my cycles are getting shorter in peri menopause. Gotta love the 23 day cycle this month..... Not.

Kerc - lovely song

RR - very difficult cardio circuit class and a fast 45 minute walk with my friend. It is too too gorgeous out today joy.gif.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#136 of 332 Old 03-13-2012, 02:12 PM

Thank you Kerc. redface.gif

This one I have in mind also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vBM-8-u26E

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#137 of 332 Old 03-13-2012, 02:44 PM

Nic, I'm sorry you are feeling that loneliness right now.  I feel that quite a bit and long so much to have someone I can go to, a "Me" for me. I hope it feels better soon, or that you come up with a plan to figure it out that makes you feel better.  And everyone is right, you have us - we'll be your "Me"

Sparkle, LOL.  Glad AF came.  I am sending my husband out for the snip snip STAT as I was not expecting or up for doing the "Older Mom" thing !!!!

Kerc, now I want to listen to that song!

Bec, one  of my girls is in the brownies this year.  I am amazed by what is offered to them, the Girl Scouts have come a long way!!!

Geo, your retelling of the previous vacation with the fever and tent puking describes my family to a T, perhaps we are long lost relatives sick.gif

Jo,  I feel bad for your daughter, she sounds really stressed out.  I hope you can get things going at home for the kids, that will be so great for all.  You are mighty and strong and wise too.  Keep blogging about this all that you are trying to accomplish and this deeply moving, frustrating, difficult experience will turn into a book in a few years that many people would love to read.

RR - I did a good half hour walk at steep steep incline.  My gluts are going to be in some fine shape once this is all over.

I have a nutritional issue that I am not sure how to manage... One of my kids is, and always has been, a carb fiend.  Much more so than the other two. She isn't eating well enough these days. If she could, she would eat exclusively carbs and maybe some meat.  I've always offered a balanced meal and let them eat what they will eat from it. We ask them take one bite of everything but don't force them to continue eat something they don't like. She goes for the carbs, and maybe the protein, same for what comes back home in her lunch box at the end of the day. She has a lot less energy than the other two, is less active, has way bigger mood swings, and a much chubbier body mass. Some of this, I suspect is attributable to her food intake.  I don't want to make a big deal of it, but would like to make a change in her eating habits. We do a lot of talking about nutrition and why different nutrients are good for your body and the kids all get it and are into it but in the end the fact remains that she's a carboholic.  I don't want to force her to eat stuff she doesn't want, but I think she needs to eat in a balanced way to feel better.  I REALLY don't wanna give her food issues either.  Ugh. I'm thinking about cooking up only one portion of food for everyone and serving each person a plate (like in a restaurant) where there are appropriate portions of all the different foods. This would prevent the issue of taking seconds etc. Is that too controlling? I don't think I would say anything about it, just serve up the food, so it isn't a big issue. For snacks I have been making yummy smoothies and stuff like that, which everyone likes so that is going well. Asking for menu planning input from the kids has helped them be enthusiastic about the meals as well.

I know my body runs the best when I eat proportionally, is it reasonable to assume that my kids' bodies work the same way? Do some bodies need to operate on high carbs? Am I obsessing too much?  Help, has anyone nudged their kids in a healthier direction in a stealthy manner?  ARG eat.gif broc1.gif

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#138 of 332 Old 03-13-2012, 02:52 PM
bec

I wanted to throw out a super duper thank you to my secret sprinter!!!  I love my new necklace!  It's a silver chain with a sneaker, "I Go", and 70.3 pendant on it!  I love it! 

#139 of 332 Old 03-13-2012, 03:09 PM
bec

ND - I have a carb eater too.  I dealt with it mostly as a toddler and preschooler.  My solution was a bit more draconian.  I would (and I still do this with everyone in the family, including myself and my husband) serve her the appropriate portion of protein and vegetable and told her when she was done, she could have whatever carb I was serving.  This worked really well for her.  I made sure (and still do) that I was serving meals that I knew she would like (especially in the beginning, while transitioning to this change).  Now that she is 11, she does a pretty good job of self regulating what she eats and the proportions on her own.

#140 of 332 Old 03-13-2012, 03:36 PM

ND - I have a friend who does the same thing Bec mentioned, mostly b/c her kids would go for the carb first and then the other food loses even more appeal. For my part, I dont have a carb-fiend of the three per se, but I am mindful of how many grains I serve in general, mostly b/c grains are so ubiquitous, and not the most nutritious food (um, the least?). So in maybe one meal per day are grains the center of it (like, pancakes) and then I try to make them not very present in the other meals...
Congrats on baby #4, even if you werent exactly up for it redface.gif

#141 of 332 Old 03-13-2012, 03:41 PM

ND - ah, I'm waiting to hear advice for you that might help my crazy-eating kids too! And I don't think I've said congrats on dinglet #4! 4 is a good number.

Jo - I've been reading and thinking of you lots, but did inpatient medicine last week and barely came up for air all week. I agree with everyone that your strength and patience is obvious, although I'm sorry it gets tried so much!

Nic - I think of you often, mama. We're always here if you need to unload.

UP trip. Sounds fabulous - especially if our house in IL sells and we can reasonably afford to travel this summer. We have accepted an offer on the house (for 22K less than we paid for it greensad.gif) but it's contingent on sale of the buyer's house and they can't sell theirs either. Even though we'd like to sell it for more, after a year on the market we don't think we'll ever get more for it and frankly we like these buyers. I delivered both their babies - mama went into labor with the first one just as I was pulling out of Hocking Hills campground from the dingo camping trip! Poor thing had a long miserable labor and was still just 5 cms when I pulled in to town many hours later, so I made it in plenty of time. Her last baby was a quick, easy labor after a successful external version to turn her breech boy head down. He was just shy of 9 lbs and had a great big head but an Ob colleague was able to turn him and this labor was like a quarter of the time of her first! Anyway, if some house selling vibes could be sent their way, that'd be great!

In other NRR news, Catherine received an acceptance letter to the College of Wooster today! She's already been accepted to Drake, and hasn't heard yet from 4 other schools, but Wooster is pretty high on her dream school list, so it's exciting. We are still debating financial stuff. College is expensive these days!

RR - the last week has been a big flop. Inpatient medicine about killed me last week and I'm struggling to catch up sleep and good nutrition and get going again!
#142 of 332 Old 03-13-2012, 03:56 PM

on food:  I serve up a plate for kids -- my kids adore salads, my husband adores carbs and I adore protein.  So....we each get a balanced plate and then (we eat in the dining room) we walk back to the kitchen to refill. Also: we talk out loud about how when we are SUPER hungry, eating a bit of protein (PB on bread vs. just bread, beans and rice vs. just rice) fills us up better.

and much more, but no time since I ran 4 today at lunch!

#143 of 332 Old 03-13-2012, 04:06 PM

Another strategy on the food is just to make her aware of how far from balanced she is. Have her fill in a kid's version of a food pyramid to see what she's not getting.

Congrats to Catherine on Wooster!!!!! She's welcome here as a pit stop in and out of town of course.
#144 of 332 Old 03-13-2012, 09:00 PM

Geo, I'm ROTFLMAO.gifat your best camping trip ever, fever and tent puking aside...

Nic and jo, thinking so much of both of you. Be kind and gentle with yourselves as you navigate the challenging days grouphug.gif

My oldest will eat three or more bowls of cereal in a row for if allowed, and I use the "talking loudly about how protein fills us up" strategy, too.Our compromise is usually one serving of carby food followed by the protein, then more carbs if she wants it. I don't put absolute limits on portions, but don't let the kids go on a single-food binge, either.

Dr. Jen, congrats to Catherine and fingers crossed for your house sale!!

Happy belated birthday, Sparkle!!

Plady, way to go with the first aid lol.gif

It was a tough end to the weekend/start of the week here. I had a brilliant plan to actually run(!) on Monday. This was thwarted by my youngest having an asthma attack in the middle of the night. I should have taken her to the ER for a nebulizer since the ventolin wasn't helping quite enough, but there was wet snow and over 100 km/h winds outside. Dragging both kids out in the car at 4 or 5 am in that weather seemed harder than dealing with the wheezing until morning. School was canceled Monday because of power outages around the district (though not at our house or our school), and we spent the morning at the doctors and the pharmacist sorting out meds. By the time we left the pharmacy she had spiked a big fever, making it obvious that the asthma was probably triggered by a viral infection. She was too sick for daycare today, so my friend very kindly stepped in and came over with her 2 1/2 year old at 6 am so I could go to work. She's breathing better and fever gone as of this morning, but we skipped bootcamp tonight to catch up on cuddles and early bedtime.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#145 of 332 Old 03-13-2012, 09:10 PM

JayGee--congrats on finishing the Whole30! clap.gif
And ditto on the 23-day cycle. I could definitely do without that.

DrJen--congrats to your daughter, and many goodvibes.gif on selling your house. Sorry to hear about the loss, but I think you're wise to do that rather than hang on to it longer.

kerc--woot for 4!

RR: 6.5 with the stroller.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#146 of 332 Old 03-14-2012, 03:47 AM

The eating talk is fascinating.  For a long time that's all dd would eat (carbs), but now I struggle to get enough grains in her...She eats all.the.time.  It is insane.  She's skinny as a rail, and eats tons of fruits and veggies, and protein because I push it (she went vegetarian about 2 years ago)...she knows to check herself to see if she's getting enough protein.  She would eat crap carbs - crackers and the like...but we work on oatmeal, sprouted grain breads, etc.  But seriously, she eats triple what I eat, at least that's what it seems like.  She will routinely eat a huge bowl of oatmeal (made with whole raw milk), immediately ask for a snack plate on which could be the following: apple, grapefruit, almonds, crackers, carrots/cantaloupe, cheese.  Lunch could be grilled cheese or quesadilla with beans and cheese or smart dogs (blech)...no sandwiches for her. Afternoon she slows down, probably has another piece of fruit or carrots (her favorite)...and then dinner.  I fear the teen years. Fear.

Dh is having the work week from he!!.  Meaning working late every day, working all day Saturday, etc.  He's working with me though and gave up his morning workouts so that I could run in the morning before he leaves.  Hello 5:00am running.  It was really nice out this morning.  I run a lot slower in the dark, I'm guessing not being able to see my feet has something to do with it.  Once upon a time this was more routine, now I'm out of the habit.  But I'm thrilled that I'm getting any running at all this week.

Have people begun their reveal packages yet?  I have some things and ideas for others, but was wondering if I was jumping the gun.

ND - so so lovely! Congratulations.  

DrJen - what a neat story, the idea of selling a house to someone you helped catch their baby (after leaving a dingo camp out no less!).

Jo - what everyone else has said.   I say again as I have many times.  This is a group of women that awes and inspires me.  You show me what sisterhood is and can be, you remind me to share this idea with the women I meet every day.  That it is possible to have strong women relationships that are loving, supportive, forgiving, and ever present.  Thanks dingo mamas.

#147 of 332 Old 03-14-2012, 03:49 AM

Oh and I'm the peri, 25 day cycle...with a little anxiety thrown on top to sprinkle some liveliness into my life shake.gif

#148 of 332 Old 03-14-2012, 05:17 AM
bec

Oh!  The anxiety is a perimenopause symptom?!  Really?!  I have a 25ish day cycle the last few years (if I'm lucky), and in the last year, the anxiety comes and goes.  I've never had it before, so have been wondering where it came from!

#149 of 332 Old 03-14-2012, 05:32 AM

That's my theory Bec. I noticed it about a year ago that 3 days before my cycle I would have a day of generalized anxiety.  It was like clockwork.  I found this free app, period tracker, that I'm using on my phone to start trying to track it more carefully because I suspect that I am having higher levels of anxiety around the time I should be ovulating.

#150 of 332 Old 03-14-2012, 05:32 AM

ND, the other thing we do for the carb feind is to require that the carbs be topped with protein. Toast is ok with peanut butter. Pasta or crackers get topped with cheese. I know for myself that I struggle to see that the carbs aren't filling me up, so I just eat more. This approach seems to be helping with my super-restrictive eater.

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page