Dingoes Marching into Spring! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 332 Old 03-01-2012, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stolen from jo's intro a few months ago... p

"For mamas who run, walk, jog, wog, traipse, hop, skip, jump, or aspire to do any of those things, we are the Dingoes. Join us here for inspiration, commiseration, support, entertainment and community. Share your training challenges, your race reports, and discuss anything and everything--just like having a super-supportive IRL running group!

We also like to discuss biking, swimming, climbing, team sports and the million other things that come up, some of which we do to run better, some of which we do when we can't run, and some of which we just do.

All are welcome!

It is commonly known that Dingoes are a blahblah.gif bunch, but don't be intimidated. We love new members and cherish (ahem) the old ones, too."

It's March, hooray, spring is on the way! joy.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#2 of 332 Old 03-01-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Holy crap...4+ years as a dingo, and I just started my first thread. lol.gif

bbm~If you get addicted to mudrunning, I'm signed up for the 8am start of the mudathlon. Just sayin'. winky.gif

kerc~I think most of the major airlines are $75 per kiddo per leg. They usually won't let you book the last flight of the day, in case of delays or cancellations, but I would avoid any plane changes, if at all possible. Not only does it double the cost, but pretty much every horror story that you hear about unaccompanied minors happens when they have to change planes. I think my comfort zone is probably going to be in the 8-10 range, but with an older sib, I might be ok with younger.

sparkle~irked.gif Seriously? She should have to pay the extra $2k!

Speaking of mortgages, I just got off the phone with a friend (well, really more of an acquaintance) who does mortgages about refinancing mine. I'm required by our divorce agreement to get XH off the mortgage by the end of June. I really don't want to...my rate right now is RIDICULOUSLY low and is set to adjust lower on May 1, but alas...no choice. I will be interested to see what I qualify for.

Last day of super boring orientation is done. Computer training was SO painful today. And it's sad because we're not going to remember anything, it's going to take getting on the unit and actually using it to truly learn it. Oh well. Our trainer did the training that myself and the other girl in the birth center were supposed to do for 2 hours tomorrow in 20 minutes. Yep, 20 minutes. That was pretty cool. orngtongue.gif

rr~Another 3 miles this morning before orientation. Thank goodness I did it, because I really WOULD have fallen asleep in training if not for it. We'll see if I get one in tomorrow. I don't have to go in until 10, but I have to take DS to school at 8, get home, get a run in, shower, and get to work by 10, so I'm not so sure about that. Plus the fact that the weather is looking kind of crappy...

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#3 of 332 Old 03-01-2012, 09:19 PM

I was reading the thread on my phone earlier today (I have given up on posting from the phone because I have too much to say) and thought "If it's not started by tonight when I get on the computer, I'll start the March thread... I'm glad you got to do it, gaye.

sparkle, congrats on the admission, even with the attached ambivalence. I know the feeling... hammer.gif to the mortgage woman. That's seriously uncool. People buying and selling houses have a gazillion deadlines and issues and stuff on their minds and it's the job of a decent mortgage broker and realtor to keep them in line on the important deadlines. 

kerc, I flew unaccompanied minor a lot as a kid, starting alone at 5 to fly up to spend a week or two with my dad on the fishing boat each summer. Alway direct flights, except once where I had a connection and a family friend met me for the transition and wait in the days of much lower airport security. Both of my sisters started flying alone at 5, too. The biggest challenge is having a kid assertive enough to talk to adult strangers about his/her needs: especially food and bathrooms. One sister peed her pants out of shyness, but I think that was our biggest UM challenge. Kids get treated amazingly well on the flights, usually get a tour of the cockpit and meet the pilot. It's a fun adventure if your kid is an adventurer. 

Mel, good luck with the doggy decisions grouphug.gif

Shanti, I'm glad you got a break and escape from the house. Sending lots of "healthy in March" vibes to your entire family!!

doctorjen, good to hear from you. Good luck with the final stretch of training for your half.

Nic, the job prospects sound good. I love that they want you enough to adjust their timetable!! House cleaner as gift sounds terrific.

BBM, I'm glad you got your run in despite a late husband. I'm lol.gif at the dingoes unleashed on him when they thought he made you miss your run! 

Geo, hooray for obvious testing results! And lol.gif at the radical agendas. 

real, have you ever hear this Beethoven podcast? I listened to it years ago, and my husband is using it in the course he's teaching on narrative this semester. It's an English course, but he wanted to demonstrate narratives in other (non-written) disciplines. He's also using a comic book and other non-entirely written mediums. Grrrr to no-nap J!

mommajb, sorry about the missed testing. 

jo, good luck with the flat hunting!

And to everyone: ass-holic (both short and long o forms) are now officially entered into my lexicon. Now to get them into the scrabble dictionary.

NRR- Thanks for the support about the jerk-face daughter. Relaying the story to my husband later, he confessed that he had introduced the term. Overhearing the conversation, my lovely not-quite-3 year old said "And I'm a big jerk face for calling mum a jerk face. And sometimes for not wearing my coat." She totally understands the dynamics of being a jerk lol.gif. The visit is going pretty well- two more nights here then we'll head home on Sunday. Other than one requisite meltdown from me about my husband's bachelor-style grocery shopping technique and his meltdown about my need to control the experience, we're doing okay.

We also had minor drama last night with the youngest and a major allergic reaction at bedtime. She found a stuffed animal in the guest bedroom that she pulled into bed with her and cuddled up to her face. I was getting frustrated with her fidgeting and unwillingness to lie still until I noticed that she was rubbing her very red eyes and blotchy swelling face. Some Benadryl and half an hour later and she settled down just fine. We're back to the immunologist in June, and will need to talk about environmental allergies instead of just food allergies now. I'm guessing dust...

I feel like I've had a test month of our future part-time homeschool/distributed learning plans for my oldest- she has been home two of the past three weeks, and if the planned teacher strike for next week happens we'll add another three days to that. We've been sick and on the road most of the time, but doing lots of fun reading/writing/drawing/music/math and general life learning stuff. 

RR- I tried a run on the treadmill here today, but it's not motorized and super stiff. When I stripped down to bare feet I could get it going a little bit, but waaaay too much effort for a decent run. I did some body weight strength training instead, and will run tomorrow since my husband doesn't teach on Fridays. On Tuesday I had a really fun interval run on my aunt's treadmill, playing a game of scrabble on the phone with my oldest daughter. She's just learning how to play, and sloooow, so I ran during her turns and walked when it was my turn to play. We played for 45 minutes that way, probably at about a 6-8min/1min interval. The unpredictable run intervals were a fun challenge- a couple I ran too quickly and was desperate for her to finish her turn!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#4 of 332 Old 03-02-2012, 04:55 AM

Subbing. Pretty bad night last night. bawling.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#5 of 332 Old 03-02-2012, 06:22 AM

Please PM me if you'd
like me to add something for you!

: dingo race list
:

mel38 - Cooper River Bridge Run 10k - March 31, 2012

realrellim - Redline 13.1 Westminster - April 7, 2012

doctorjen - Rock the Parkway half marathon - April 14, 2012

mel38 - TryCharleston Sprint Triathlon - April 21, 2012

bec - Indy Mini Half Marathon - May 5, 2012

MelW - GutBuster Trail Series Colliery Dam 12.5K, May 27, 2012

Nickarolaberry - Iron Horse Half Marathon - June 3, 2012

realrellim - Steamboat Marathon - June 3, 2012

realrellim - Run for Independence 5M - June 30, 2012

realrellim - Middle Park Half Marathon - July 7, 2012

tjsmama - Mudathlon, August 11, 2012

tjsmama -USAT Age Group Nationals, August 18, 2012

tjsmama -Rock n Roll Denver 1/2 Marathon, September 22, 2012

mel38 - Marine Corps Marathon - October 28, 2012

tjsmama - New York City Marathon - November 4, 2012

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#6 of 332 Old 03-02-2012, 06:23 AM

run.gif2012 Dingo Race Results partytime.gif

realrellim - Yeti Chase 10K - January 28, 2012 - 53:24 (PR!)

realrellim - Ralston Creek Half Marathon - February 12, 2012 - 2:00:43

mommajb - 10k - March 17, 2012 - 59:??

doctorjen - Diva Dash 5k - March 25, 2012 - 24:55

Mel38 - Cooper River Bridge Run 10k - March 31, 2012 - 1:03:29 (PR)

2010 Results

2011 Results

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#7 of 332 Old 03-02-2012, 06:52 AM

Subbing!hola.gif

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#8 of 332 Old 03-02-2012, 07:05 AM

grouphug.gif Nic.

Mel thanks.gif for taking over the race list!!!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#9 of 332 Old 03-02-2012, 08:36 AM

Two days in a row of skiing. WOOT!  And I'm so sore it hurts to raise my arm to lift my coffee ROTFLMAO.gifAnd my quads are screaming. This is all good. But sad that the snow might be gone in 4-5 days. So....I'm headed back out again either tonight or tomorrow.

Jury is still out on unaccompanied minors flying. Working out the details.

A few personals, not many because it's that kind of morning.

((Nic))

Refinancing. Ours went through for 15 years at 3%. We had 20% down and paid closing costs. And because the details are always so confusing in the process: we owe on a loan for the furnace, we owe a street repair assessment, and something else that we've not paid because the interest rates are all low. BUT we add those in and we had to have extra $$ at closing so that it would all go. But it's done now and we'll pay off our home 10 years sooner without changing the $$ much.

Mel: thanks for taking on the race list.

Shanti: the stories I hear about teenagers and chicken pox are what makes us decide to vaccinate our girls before middle school. That's the plan with our pediatrician -- either get it before then or vax. Hang in there lady!  And music too. YAY

Other mel: part time homeschool would be perfect for us in so many ways. But we just cannot do it. School isn't receptive. Ah well. My kids are thriving in the public school setting they are in.

Must write a few reports at work. see you all later.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#10 of 332 Old 03-02-2012, 09:49 AM

Yay!  March!!!

Mel38 ~ thanks so much for taking over the race list/results.  And Dr.Jen, thank you for all your work upkeeping both of those over the years orngbiggrin.gif.

MelW ~ the part-time homeschool sounds like a wonderful option.  I'm pretty sure that would work well for our family too.  Enjoy your last couple of days "inland"!

sparkle ~ good luck with the house!  I've sold houses countless times, and I always just pick up for the realtor.  She then usually has a million great ideas for me to implement (hanging pictures lower, taking down personal photos, moving some furniture around).  Don't go out of your way to make it perfect, but no dishes in the sink winky.gif.

Gaye ~ is today your first "real" day of work?  If so, have a GREAT one!  So looking forward to more crazy birth stories lol.gif.

RR ~ Pilates this morning, then a walk that was curtailed by tornado sirens.  Luckily, all we got was thunder, lighting, and some pretty good sized hail.

NRR ~ Heading to school to do library and help out with DS's art lesson.  Through the grapevine, I heard that the current library coordinator (a volunteer) is moving this summer and they are making her position paid!  If so, I'm totally applying for it!  It's basically overseeing all the parent volunteers and their training, doing bulletin boards, pulling books each week for a focus, and telling the "real" district librarian what we need at the school.  Plus I have a million great ideas that would make the library program at our school SO much better than it is orngbiggrin.gif.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#11 of 332 Old 03-02-2012, 10:29 AM

Re: the mortgage stuff. It's basically that we havent locked on the loan yet as it is so far out (90 days) and they only do it for 60 without fees). Well, we're trying to gauge the best time to lock the rate and pay whatever fees that means, but since rates and points change every day, we can miss a good possibility in 12 hours. The points went up from one day to the next so that one day we would pay $900 and the next it was $3000. I dont know what it is today, but its very stressful as the market seems to be going up, meaning that rates will go up, so maybe we should just suck it up and pay the $3000 for a lower rate... but what if it goes down next week. Aaaaaaaah

Kerc - That is an insanely low and wonderful interest rate thumb.gif Congrats. And joy.gif on the skiing and sore muscles

Nic - hug.gif and grouphug.gif Yahoo group?...

Jaygee - oooh I hope it opens up and you get it!!!

Plady - It is my dream to come your way and hang, kids or no kids. My bestie lives in Seattle, as well as another close friend, and you love.gif I havent seen my bestie in 5 years - we've both had 3rd kids in that time that we havent met disappointed.gif If I can make the money work on the other end of summer .... but then I might be a student by then bigeyes.gif

RR: 80 minutes bike/run intervals. Getting stronger and I think progesterone just dropped because I dont feel like Im made of lead and like I want to throttle....everyone, so it was a decent work-out

NRR: After busting my arse to get the house ready (and leaving 2 small jobs for dh, which he didnt even do irked.gif and which I had to rush home from the gym this a.m. to finish up irked.gif), the realtor cant come until this afternoon, when we will be packing to leave for C. Springs in a winter storm redface.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#12 of 332 Old 03-02-2012, 03:40 PM
bec

No running today.  I've been babysitting DH, who had surgery on his shoulder.  Finally!!!  It has been a bit of a rough day for him, poor guy.  He's hooked up to a cold water machine that gives him constant cold for as long as he needs it (30-60 minutes at a time). He also has a catheter in his neck with a nerve block for the shoulder.  The good news is that he is, currently, in no pain, and the doctor said that there was nothing unexpected, and he was able to do everything that he needed to do.  I am very hopeful that he will actually recover and get his life back.  This has been a tough time.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#13 of 332 Old 03-02-2012, 05:23 PM

I ran 6+ miles two days in a row.  I gave myself tonight a 2 mile jog with a nice long walk back.  It was nice just looking around and really enjoying myself. There's this really neat house, more like a mansion, that always fascinates me.  It's in the country, has a cow pasture (with cows), and is just so beautiful.  I want to go inside so bad and just look around.

melW - Seriously! I was impressed by the verve of the dingo pique!

Nic - how're you?

I am so stoked, our children's librarian runs a homeschool group once a month. I asked her last month if there was any way we could do a tour of our local newspaper (it's a weekly paper), and she got it arranged!  I'm so excited.... I love our children's librarian, she is just amazing.

#14 of 332 Old 03-02-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

nic~hug.gif

jaygee~Nope, today was unit orientation. Sunday is my first shift on the floor!

geo~I thought of you today when I heard a radio commercial from a local jeweler talking about how scientists have discovered a planet made of diamond, but their buyers don't need to go light years away to find the perfect diamond for you. orngbiggrin.gif

My mortgage is an ARM currently at 3%, and set to adjust down to 2.875% on May 1. If I could get 3% again, I would be thrilled, but I wasn't super optimistic until I heard your rate, kerc. Maybe it's possible...

Today was a really good day. We spent the day on our unit, just getting to know where things are and how things run. It was so nice to have a day to feel things out a little before we actually start patient care. We spent over an hour just going over scheduling, how requests off and vacations work, and all that (very important) stuff. I have a schedule for the next 6 weeks, hooray! We'll be on nights for 4 weeks, days for 4 weeks, then probably back to nights for the duration (I hope). We'll be off orientation by the middle of May, and at that point, we're eligible for a night incentive plan, which basically means we get paid an extra $1000 every 3 months for working nights. How awesome is that? Everyone seems really nice so far. I'm starting to get excited, although really scared, too! We got out an hour or so early, which left me plenty of time to get to happy hour with my new coworkers. It's all about the really important stuff, ya know. winky.gif

Unfortunately, I did NOT get my run in this morning. I stayed up way too late reading last night, then couldn't bring myself to get up to get myself ready for a run before needing to get DS up and ready for school. I would have barely had time, anyway, so I'm ok with it. Tomorrow, I'm going to a new group run that a friend has been going to, "Dash and Dine". They meet every Saturday morning, run for an hour (or if they need more mileage, some meet earlier), then go to brunch. Totally my kind of group!

#15 of 332 Old 03-03-2012, 06:00 AM

Gaye ~ I'm glad your first day went well and you've got a schedule to work with now.  Have fun running and brunching with your new group.  That sounds like my kind of group as well... I just work for food these days it feels like. :)

Nic ~ How are you?  I'm thinking of you lots! <3

BBM ~ Way to go on the mileage!  Our librarian also does a special day with our homeschool group - usually a lesson on our theme for the month.  So nice!!!

bec ~ I hope your DH heals quick.

sparkle ~ Hugs!!

I got a new yoga DVD that goes in 10 minute segments - I'm stoked to try it out.  I'm going to do it after breakfast settles this morning. :)

Still no goat baby although she's been showing signs for a week.  I guess she's like most 2nd time mamas and her body knows what to do, and it's just taking its time.  I am hoping SOON though.  I am getting anxious!

It's gorgeous up here now since we got LOTS of snow.  Jo ~ You'll be happy to know it took J 4 hours to plow us out the other morning.  We got 12+ inches and today we just got another 3ish or so.  It's a winter wonderland all of a sudden.  We will have a wet spring and there is less worry about not enough moisture for growing a good garden here.  Whew!  Now I need to get my arse in gear and order seeds.  So glad the CSA is not on my list this year. :)

#16 of 332 Old 03-03-2012, 08:43 AM

The storms in Indiana/Kentucky/Ohio were at my still as yet unsold house. I spent so much time last night trying to figure out what happened and who died. greensad.gif I cannot do much for some but I can offer my vacant house to a couple of families while they sort out their lives. So, having done what I can I will get on with sunny southern CA Saturday plans.

No run today but I am looking forward to tomorrow's long run.

I thought I was going to post personals but my children are in need of some intensive parenting.eyesroll.gif

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#17 of 332 Old 03-03-2012, 01:48 PM

I'm subbing here. I've forgotten to sub for the past couple of months and by the time I realized, the thread had gotten away from me. Hoping to keep up this month, I love reading about you ladies and your lives.

RE--ran my first HM in January with a finish time of 1:57:40. I am signed up for my second HM on.May 20th, hoping to beat that time.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#18 of 332 Old 03-03-2012, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

mommjab~greensad.gif I didn't realize the extent of the damage until I read the Cincinnati paper online tonight. I guess it missed everyone I know in the area, since I didn't really see much about it on FB. I hope all your friends are ok, and if there's a bright side to your house not having sold yet, I guess being able to shelter people is one, huh?

kitteh~Welcome back. Great 1/2 time!

My friends that were supposed to be going to the Dash and Dine group with me bailed, but I made myself go anyway, and I'm glad I did. I was way slower than everyone else, so I ran almost the whole thing by myself, but they were a nice group to hang out with at breakfast. It was SUPER windy all day today, and of course our out and back ran back into the wind. That was fun. Nonetheless, 5 miles done for my longest run in probably 3 months. Slowly working my way back up! Breakfast was tasty, and that's what matters! orngbiggrin.gif

DS is running a low-grade fever, coughing up a storm, and voluntarily went to bed early. I hope he perks up tomorrow so I don't have any tough decisions to make about work tomorrow night. greensad.gif

#19 of 332 Old 03-03-2012, 06:27 PM

Mommajb, I hope your friends and family are safe. grouphug.gif Do you know if there is a relief organization organizing supplies to be taken to those in need?

I am holding my own, with ups and downs. I kicked out 6 hard miles on the mill yesterday afternoon which I badly needed. It helped. I'll take it to the yahoo group at some point but am too raw and needy right now...don't want to whine so much.

Hoping for a good long run tomorrow, will be a bit off kilter as dh is on call and has to go early to the hospital, so I will get a late start. Somehow that always disrupts my mojo but nevertheless I will do it.

And for your amusement: picture my 3 adorable kids, playing happily in dd1's room, belting out the lyrics to some kind of McDonald's commercial rap..."I need a double cheese booger...."

ROTFLMAO.gif

(They have never had McD's, or a cheeseburger of any kind, as it's not kosher...but this was pretty hilarious).

Kitteh, great half time! (That's my goal time!)

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#20 of 332 Old 03-03-2012, 07:45 PM

Oh, mommajb grouphug.gif. I think lending out your house is incredibly generous and I do believe that generosity will come back to you.

Gaye, hope the bub is feeling better tomorrow. A lot better.

JenLove, all those snow pics make me the smallest bit homesick for the weather. I have been homesick for everything but the weather since November when it magically became nice here. Looks like I should have another month to two of fab weather and then I'll be counting down. But all your posting--the barn boots, etc.--has me feeling it. Oh, I miss my farm.

That's a great time, kitteh--have fun with the next one!

bec, surgery sounds like a best case scenario outcome right now, and that is great. I hope his rehab is as straightforward as the surgery was, and that in no time your whole family is back in motion!

Plady, LOVE the house shots. Looks like home.

BBM, I don't know that I have a philosophy on teaching writing to kids. I think it is the same with everyone. With ds, I have to help him break things into steps just to get him working. If the job looks too big, complex or daunting he becomes paralyzed. So we do steps. With the writing itself, I think it is the same for kids and grown-ups. You want to understand as clearly as possible what you think/feel and the first round of writing is an exploration of that. Refinements enable you to really pinpoint your thinking and then make it understood by people living outside your head.

Geo, I think the only really finished Palm is Palm Jumeirah. We looked at villas and apartments there. It's not outrageously priced everywhere there, but I have a (probably overblown) fear of living someplace where evac would bottleneck. There's one way on and off, you know? And actually, there is a lot of shoddy construction there and lots of trouble with landlords and access to amenities being cut off to residents, and utilities being shut off for lack of payment. Big mess. I think Palm Jebel Ali is part done, and Palm Deira is under construction. I don't know the actual status of The World Islands. They are right off the coast from where I live, and I can see it, but I can't tell if it's progressing or what. Fingers crossed for a marina apartment.

JayGee, you sound really stoked about the possible library opportunity. I hope it happens for you!

sparkle, I am taking some vicarious enjoyment from your academic adventure. lurk.gif Congratulations!

MelW, at least you tried the TM and now you know. First thing I thought of with the stuffed animal was old cat or dog dander, but of course dust mites. Eww. I hope all is well now.

Worthless running weekend, but I finally recovered from the trip. Holy motion sickness and fatigue. Also, some ass-holism trouble about the house. And today, more Shamal winds, so maybe a walk on the beach and maybe just yoga in the house. And writing. Even though my submissions are shots in the dark, it makes me feel more legit as a writer, and that gives me some momentum. Two weeks now until my *other* BFF comes to visit...and hoping now that the time starts moving faster toward June! Dh has suggested maybe kids and I do Morocco with him en route home. I didn't respond very nicely. Maybe he could take the kids there and I could meet them at Casa airport or Charles de Gaulle or some such and take them the rest of the way home. demon.gif

I wish you all good days and great running.

#21 of 332 Old 03-03-2012, 08:09 PM

Hi mamas,

Finally subbing in. 

<drama>

I've been reading along but it's been drama a-go-go here.  Loong story short is that dd has had not just the one bully but also a frenemy who has been acting sort of stalkerish and groping her.  I'd already mentioned to frenemy's mom that there had been too much unwanted hugging since that was how dd described it to me but later on dd clarified how she was hugging, with a butt squeeze and apparently this girl was also taking opportunities to touch dd's chest.  So, on Thursday it came to the teacher's attention when stalker complained that dd was acting mean and cranky toward her.  Dd explained that stalker had been 'hugging her inappropriately' a lot and just wanted her to stay away.  Teacher asked stalker if this was true, stalker denied it and then teacher told C that she just wasn't sure who to believe but that stalker had 'never lied to her before'.  So C of course heard that as an implication that she had been lying.  This just days after dd finally felt like she was being believed about bully #1.  So C was pretty distraught about it and we still haven't gotten together with the teacher to let her know how totally out of line we think that remark was since she is off-island for the weekend and Monday.  However, since dh and I are actually good friends with stalker's parents we sat down with mom and stalker today and made a formal agreement that the girls are not to be friends at all anymore.  That there is to be no contact whatsoever and they will be civil when they must interact but otherwise they should stay away from each other.  I thought it was ballsy of stalker to suggest that while hugging is out, maybe they could give each other high-fives sometimes?  Dd looked like she was about to throw up at that.  She was furious, rightly so, at the whole thing but at least the mom seemed to get how this was more serious than the average Susie-won't-stop-bugging-me complaint.

Now to follow up with the school and to let the teacher know in no uncertain terms that she needs to apologize to C for the implication that C had been lying simply because she didn't have prior knowledge of anything going on between them.   Honestly!  School is so freaking complicated these days!!!  WTF?

</drama>

Nic - I hope you're holding together okay.  Don't forget that we don't mind 'whining' and we're here for you.

Mommajb - Wow, I'm so sorry that your house is necessary, that's terrible.  It's great that you can give support that way though.

Gaye - Hope ds dodges the bullet.

JenLove - goodvibes.gif for convenient kidding.

Bec - I hope your dh's convalescence is swift and painless (for you as well!)

Sparkle - Well, it looks like we'll be here!  I still have the Yosemite family camp place bookmarked but it looks like this summer we'll be building a barn/garage, not traveling.

Kitteh - What a great time for a first HM!!  Go you!

Kerc - Glad you got some quality ski time in.  I can't believe the winter is basically over and we still haven't gotten back out to snow since getting all our cheap gear in December!  Maybe an April daytrip.

Dr. Jen - Good to see you here!  You're running is incredible!  I'm inspired, you're just getting faster and faster!

RR: Nothing yesterday or today.  Yesterday I had a headache all day and was worried that I'd finally gotten the nasty bug that has been going around for a long time.  Today I felt better but still underpowered so I just let myself take it easy.  Just made it through the bloatingest time of the month without needing to go up a whole pants size. joy.gif But, must not rest on the laurels.  The dress I've been aiming for is pretty close.  Still not quite there.  I think it was really meant for someone with a much flatter chest so I'm considering having it altered.  It fits right everywhere except the last inch and a half of the zipper so I think it might not be a big deal to have to adjusted a bit.  Is that cheating?  In any case, I'll be back to it on Monday, I promise!

Sorry for missing some personals, I'm such a slow darn typer and my window is closing.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#22 of 332 Old 03-03-2012, 08:46 PM

Plady--wow, that's just awful. And honestly, I don't understand a teacher reacting that way. Regardless of who she might believe, a standard answer ought to be that there's no need to hug or touch each other during school, so if one kid says "don't touch me, please leave me alone" then the rest of the kids need to respect that. You'd think that would be a school policy, yk?

mommajb--I'm so sorry about your friends and the storms.

J finally fell asleep so I'm off to paint the dining room, part 2. Last night was part 1 in which I put on primer. Hopefully DH will arrive back from his business trip soon and help, as last night was all me.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#23 of 332 Old 03-04-2012, 04:44 AM

Plady ~ It shouldn't matter if anyone is lying in that situation, if it is brought to her attention about inappropriate touch she should've moved forward with it.  That is part of her job, legally.  Period.  I'm sorry for C in all of this.

Jo ~ I'm glad you're looking forward to a visitor, writing, and moving your body these days.  ((hugs))

Nic ~ I hop you got your run in this AM.

tjsmama~ How's T today?

kitteh ~ Welcome back!

mommajb ~ Hugs!!!

Early wake up here and busy day ahead.  We have to run to town for groceries, get hay for the goats from my brother, and a few other adds and ends.  I doubt I'll get in a workout besides barn chores - I did squeeze in yoga yesterday though. :)

#24 of 332 Old 03-04-2012, 04:47 AM

Plady, I'm just speechless. Honestly, the more stories like this I hear, the more I wonder just what the hell it is teachers think they're doing every day?! Throwing information at kids and not bothering to remember that the kids are human beings and their first and most IMPORTANT responsibility is to make a safe, secure, and pleasant (if not loving) environment! UGH. She has very seriously abrogated her mission and her responsibility to your dd -- and to the stalker for not making sure she is held accountable and taught the proper way to behave!

disappointed.gif

Good for you for being a mama bear and for dealing with it constructively and emphatically, and showing your girl that you will always stand up for her. 

Meantime, it's icy here out right now so I'm waiting a bit to go out for my long run til the temps creep up over freezing so I don't fall on my a$$. It rained yesterday on top of the mushy snow so it's all ice on the sidewalks, which means running in the road -- so the road has to not be icy!

#25 of 332 Old 03-04-2012, 05:35 AM
bec

Nic - hug2.gifTo second what someone else said, we are here when you need us.  I don't think I've heard you whine once.  Not once. 

Plady - I would be going over the teacher's head on this.  This is seriously not all right.  I felt a little sick to my stomach reading about what is happening to C.  Both with bully and frenemy.  The teacher is dropping the ball in a horrible way.

DH update - He had a catheter with a nerve block that was supposed to come out this afternoon.  The catheter shifted yesterday and needed to come out right away (apparently, it was hitting a vein, which I found out is really bad).  The problem is that I was an hour away with DD2 at a dance convention (one that has been planned since September).  We were at the end of the day, and were just watching the dance competition, but we did have to miss that and we missed pizza out with the dance company so I could come home.  The pain had really started to spiral, so I really wanted to be here so he could take his heavier narcotics.  He was home alone with the 6 year old (almost 11 year old was at a birthday party).  6 year old helped him get the catheter out (she apparently was a rock star, and completely unflappable), get him set up with his ice machine, slings on and off, and disposed of all the things that needed disposing.  Anyway, we have a much better idea of how he reacts to the pain killers now, so I feel all right going back for the second day of the dance convention.  The kids have a playdate in a few hours, and it's a much shorter day. 

It's been a real joy watching my girl dance.  4 different dances in 4 different styles!  She is going to be performing the tap dance they are learning this afternoon.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#26 of 332 Old 03-04-2012, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Plady - ugh! That kind of teacher response makes me so angry. I can't believe how clueless some people who spend so much time with kids can be about how kids work. Our girls had a teacher for four years between the two of them who never did get the bullying thing. She still treats me strangely when she sees me in the community and it struck me recently that she was probably one of those mean girls who never got caught because she knew how to charm the adults. Good for you to demand an apology from the teacher. 

Nick - hug2.gif

kerc - the irony of our whole shingles/chicken pox mess was that the day dd1 was diagnosed with shingles I was planning to schedule appointments for both girls to get the vaccine. dd1 had a mild case of chicken pox as a newborn and I wanted to be sure she was immune and since dd2 is in grade 6 and hadn't had it yet I wanted to vaccinate her as well because this was the cut off age for me in getting it naturally. The only good news is that our doctor said that it is actually better for them to have had it naturally - but I am having a hard time seeing that just now. Ask me when they have actually been well for a few weeks.

We had to take dd2 to in again because she was having trouble breathing the other night but she is okay now. My plan is for everyone to go to school starting tomorrow. They have all of next week off so unless there is vomit or a high fever, they need to go. I loved homeschooling when that was our plan but that isn't our plan any more and they need to get back and get back to work. I anticipate tomorrow morning being hard with dd1 so I am preparing myself already.

#27 of 332 Old 03-04-2012, 11:26 AM

My SS is amazing! Socks, an adorable hat (that I wore to deliver girl scout cookies with dd), and reading material.  I'm so lucky!

Shanti - ugh, that's my plan too is that when they get to middle school age look at a lot of the vax's.  

Plady - boo on the teacher.  People often just do not get the underlining messages they are sending.  I can see where this teacher may have felt between a rock and a hard place and was thinking out loud...but just don't DO IT! Keep your thoughts to yourself.  Meaning that because she didn't see it she doesn't know what to do...not that your daughter was lying. I hope that makes sense.   If a child makes a statement like that unless they are grossly devious (which is obvious to everyone around them usually), you believe them. Or at least set up the situation to protect them. Bah. People.

I had a good week of running, 30 miles for last week and 7 this morning.  I did learn that I no longer can drink. Dang. I had maybe 2 glasses of wine last night (over a 5 hour period) and I felt awful this morning.  No headache, just queasy.  Insane.

Had a date with ds this afternoon, we built a fire, read Geronimo Stilton (I hate Geronimo Stilton, I deserve serious mommy points here), and played Yahtzee - he beat me by 2 points.  We both got Yahtzee's. I never get a yahtzee, I'm very pleased with my game ;).

Hope all is well in dingoland, and my ss recipient, I'm sorry my lame-a@@ post office closes for lunch. It has wreaked havoc in sending packages out.

#28 of 332 Old 03-04-2012, 12:38 PM

Plady--So sorry your poor dd is going through this. I can't believe the teacher didn't address the situation properly, but I'm glad that you were able to.

Bec--sending healing vibes to your DH

Nic--I'm seriously in awe of you mamas who live in freezing cold places and still manage to get out for a run. I really think I'd wuss out and just sit inside all day. Good for you , hope the run was a good one (with no falling on your a$$)

Shanti--I haven't read about the shingles episode (still making my way through old, missed threads to catch up) but sending healing vibes your way! We were planning to just skip the chicken pox vax alltogether since it wasn't around out when I was a kid and i feel like chicken pox is no big deal. But it recently occurred to me that with all the kids being vaxxed, it might be hard to have dd naturally exposed to it! grr.

Babybugmama--I hate Geronimo Stilton too! I work with Kindergarteners and so many of them love it, and I find myself reading one of those damn books at least a few times a week. You definitely get mama points ++ for toughing it out!

RR--got in an easy 3 miles with Nike run club this morning. Took it kinda easy after yesterday's 7 miler. My mini-goal for March is to be consistent with my running/mileage, so I've promised myself that if I get out there and do three 20+ mile weeks, followed by a 16 mile cutback week, then I'll buy myself some cute, overpriced running gear. I'm actually considering a ruffle-butt skirt by lululemon. So last week was 20mpw, and this week should be 21. Three down, 18 more to go!

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#29 of 332 Old 03-04-2012, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

My understanding of chicken pox is that as a rule, it isn't a big deal for kids to get it but it becomes a much bigger deal when adolescents and adults get it. ds was a toddler and even though he was covered in spots he wasn't that sick. dd1 was a newborn and it bothered me more than it bothered her. dd2 is only 12 and I have never seen her so wiped out, sick and depleted from anything before. It has been a month and she still isn't well. The spots are long gone but she tires really quickly and has little to no energy. The school has a policy that if your child is well enough to be at school then they are well enough to participate in gym class. We are going to request that she sit out of phys-ed this week and use the time to catch up on other work because any physical exertion will only fatigue her to the point of missing more school. That is what happened when she went back a week and a half ago - she had to run laps around the gym with everyone else after being in bed for 2.5 weeks and was so worn out she couldn't get up for nearly a week!

Shoot - I need to get another package off to my SS. I have loads of ideas but making them happen is never my strong point! 

#30 of 332 Old 03-04-2012, 01:20 PM

Kitteh, funny you should say that...we spent the last 2 years living in Florida and I am really struggling with the cold weather, and it is a 'mild' winter! Still, I feel so much better in every way when I run...there have only been a couple runs that I"ve really regretted going outside from the cold (really the wind). And I do probably one or two runs a week on the mill at the gym, mostly when I need to get it done early in the morning and it isn't really safe in the dark.

The run today was pretty good. AF arrived mid-run eyesroll.gif and although I don't (thankfully!) bleed like I used to, it still was kind of yuck. But my magic tights helped and I held a nice pace all the way through. I wore too many layers though; it's been one of those days that it is cold then it warms up, then it gets cold again. I didn't have to shed anything and carry but I definitely was a bit overwarm at times.

Just got home from the Purim carnival at the JCC and put a batch of hamantaschen (special Purim cookies) in the oven. Only problem is the dough is very crumbly and sticky at the same time and they are not staying in their triangular shapes. Oh well.

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page