The eight week healthy weight loss challenge - version 2.0 (start date 19/03/12) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Okay - I've done my measurements, but I think I am too embarrassed to post them.  How bad is that?

Thanks for starting the chart off Barefootmama.  I can tell you will do a great job!  Everyone, please keep in mind what she has said, no-one gets forgotten or mixed up on purpose, it is just a big job - and LOTS of numbers.  Oh, and FWIW, I have to convert all my measurements from kilos to pounds every week! 

I'm not going to call any teams yet, because as far as I can tell, it's only Monday morning in the US. 

(I'm in Australia, for anyone who is wondering, so I am something like 15 hours ahead of most of you.)

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12***16******24*** 28***32***36***40
#62 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 04:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

152 this morning.

It amazes me that it took me six weeks of concentrating, working, focusing, striving, sweating, almost starving to lose six pounds and six days to gain almost all of it back.

#63 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 05:01 AM

I'm in!  And I need this!  I woke with that F-it feeling - I'm hungry - everyone's gone, time to eat - I need to REconstruct a healthy brteakfast and get my ass to the gym!!

ETA - I EMOTIONALLY feel the need to chow down this am - bad weekend - now I'm alone with my bad self - glad I had this face me to pull mysel out of the hole :)

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#64 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 05:22 AM

Wow - this has been a depressing morning!!  My scale died, so I replaced it.  New scale has me weighing in at 207.6# which is 10# MORE than I was a week ago.  I checked myself on my neighbor's scale, and sadly, the new scale is correct!  I guess my old one was messed up before it died :(  Well, I am officially motivated!!

My goals for the next 8 weeks  are to break 190#, give up cheese (my achilles heel of foods!), give up artificial sweeteners (without increasing my sugar cosumption), and to not sneak-eat any foods I would not want my kids to eat (I don't let them eat junk food!).

Married to the love of my life partners.gif (career navy), and Mama to 2 amazing little ladies - K~ (03/2009)blahblah.gif and M~ (01/2011)biggrinbounce.gif always to wish I had gotten to know our little ones lost angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif   Reconfiguring my career track and working hard to keep my sanity through it all . . .

homebirth.jpgbfinfant.gifsaynovax.gifcd.gif  homeschool.gif 

#65 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My stats are: 5'8, 166 lbs. Waist: 31", hips: 39" and my scale measured me as 36% body fat this morning.

I gained back a pound from last challenge. My period was early this month and I've just been feeling really off and eating too much.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#66 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 06:06 AM

the comments about almost starving. i think there is a big line between actually starving oneself and restricting food intake.

i just ate nearly a 1/2 pound of sliced, low sodium turkey. this is my breakfast. nutrition packed. high-protein. i eat it first thing in the morning.

followed by a banana. AND then one sugar cookie. yes the cookies i made with the kids yesterday were tempting me all afternoon and evening. 

i don't eat after about 3-5 pm. so i "starve" myself during those hours. i prefer to look at it as a "fast." a night time fast when metabolism naturally slows.

i eat A LOT first thing in the morning. but i try to make it really good foods. (with the exception of the cookie. but the memory of that one cookie is going to keep me going all day. supposedly eating a small sweet after nutritious protein breakfast helps to retain weight loss...)

that said, i'm going to have to work really hard to lose the last 12 pounds. i started at 187 in november, and have lost 38 pounds doing what i do with diet and moderate, normal exercise.

it is harder to lose lately, but i am not really regaining either, so i guess that part is good.

#67 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Buzzer Beater and BarefootMama99 - hug2.gif

I'm starting off this challenge at 162, which is a pound down from last week - I'm surprised I lost even that. I finally gave up Diet Coke - I've had a horrible addiction to that crap for years, excepting when I've been pregnant - and I had a week of awful caffeine withdrawal symptoms (basically a week-long migraine). I also ovulated, which is an exceedingly rare event thanks to suspected pcos, and my body just went haywire with mood swings and cravings (hello, peanut butter Choco Tacos!). I only managed to work out twice and I ate about 33% more than I usually do. I'm feeling better today and looking forward to getting back on track!

My goal for this challenge is to lose 12 pounds, which will put me at 150 and 5 lbs away from my goal weight. I also want to start Couch to 5k. My DVD workouts are getting so boring! Just need to get some decent running shoes.

Measurements: waist 30.5", hips 38.5", right thigh 24".

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#68 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose View Post

My stats are: 5'8, 166 lbs. Waist: 31", hips: 39" and my scale measured me as 36% body fat this morning.

I gained back a pound from last challenge. My period was early this month and I've just been feeling really off and eating too much.

Just realized we're basically the exact same size :)

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#69 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 06:52 AM

I actually dropped one pound this week so I am starting another pound lighter than the end of the last challenge. So, put me down for 5'8 and 207 (but not for long! I am getting into the 190s on this challenge!)

#70 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 06:59 AM

Okay - I am humbled by my weigh in this morning. 188 lbs. Only 3 more than when I got pregnant, but I feel this excess weight around the middle, and I look sort of pregnant (baby is 10 1/2 months). Going out right now to walk with the baby and get started on this challenge.

#71 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 07:08 AM

claybear and BarefootMama99 - looks like the three of us are heading for the same goal.  I want into the 180s by the time this challenge is done!

Measurements this morning:

waist:  32"

hip: 48"

thigh: 28.5"

weight: 205

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#72 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 08:21 AM

Barefoot Mama I weighed in heavier than last week too!  Start my chart at 147 - that's where I started off this am :(

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#73 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 08:24 AM

Confession - my day out on St Paddy's Day was not helpfulredface.gif

I'm feeling v. unhappy this am with my body - and I can usually rise above this - if anyone has a pep talk for me - I need it!!

#74 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 08:42 AM

Well I weighed in this morning. I have nothing to do measurements with but I am 5'3" and 149.3 lbs.

I have a workout dvd I plan to use when I can and failing that, I am going to walk. What I am really trying to focus on is eating healthier. I have bought healthier foods to eat and I need to work on portion sizes. I am not a very hungry person in the am so I usually try to at least eat a cereal bar to get the metabolism going. I have lots of fruit and veggies for snacking. So now I just need to stick with it!

#75 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 09:17 AM

Well I'm going to repost my weight since I've dropped. I'm down 2.4lbs and I only started a week ago! This is fun It's all about the math. I need to cut 500 calories a day or 3500 per week and that can be through food restriction or exercise (preferably a little of both). I'm using sparkpeople.com to track everything. It's a pretty cool site let's you put in all sorts of other goals like veggie intake, glasses of H2O etc. I also hate to eat in the am but am forcing myself since I'm usually starving by lunch and eat a bunch of carbs. I'm finding myself a lot more alert lately which is a fabulous bonus! Instead of a mid afternoon coffee I do a mini workout.

When you measure where on the body do you measure the waist and hips?

my thigh 23in

upper arm 13in

hips 40 I think....

waist if measured at the smallest point 35in if measured at the belly button 39.5

height 5'4

weight 150.8

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#76 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 09:43 AM

I am at 271 today. I am too lazy to measure -- maybe when I am closer to my goal!

Off for another bike ride. It's gorgeous out there!

#77 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 10:20 AM

Hi! I'd like to join, please. My height is 5'4 and my weight is 158. Please let me know if you need anymore information. Thanks!

#78 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 10:21 AM

Well, y good news is based on how my clothing is fitting and such, I am very confident that I did not actually gain 10#, it is really more a scale problem.  But still a downer.

The good news is I took the kids out side to play this morning and have already promised them we will go to the park this afternoon (which means a nice long power walk while pushing the double stroller to get there.  I am also really feeling energized by the fact that my husband is returning from a 15 month deployment this week - so I will finally have a little help, occasional mental breaks, and he has promised to make sure I get my workouts in (by taking the kids! so I can get it done if I have not had time to fit it in before he gets home from work each day).  He is also trying to loose weight, so hopefully we will enourage eachother!

My extra challenges I am trying to prepare for:

1) This weekend we will be celebrating my 3 year old's birthday on sat, and hubby's birthday on sun - I am making both cakes (sat = dolphin shapped cake, sun = icecream cake with sorbet instead of icecream) and both birthday dinners (3 year old wants pizza, hubby wants white chili).  So I am trying to figure out how to enjoy the celebrations while also not breaking my calorie goals.  The chili is super healthy and I am serving salad with it, but pizza is a huge weakness for me!  I am already planning to take left over cake to a couple of my neighbors who will enjoy it rather than let the leftovers tempt me.  Any other good ideas?

2) Next week we are moving, which will be a high stress time for me, but also we will not have a fridge immediately (hopefully we will with in a couple of days) and we will have at least one night in a hotel - we are moving to SC, so it is a nine hour road trip - som basically we will be some what reliant on conveniance foods for wed/thurs maybe fri too.  Any good ideas of things we can prep ahead of time or do on the fly to avoid fast food places/eating out?  We will take a small cooler in the car - I will drive the kiddos in the car and hubby will drive the moving van and we will meet at the hotel and then pick up our keys bright and early the next morning.  I do need to avoid super messy foods as my kids are 3 and 1 years old, and I do not want the entire car covered in food :)

On a book-keeping note, it looks like everyone has checked in with a weight  except for: Amandamarie, Adaline’sMama, trekkingirl, pacificbliss, stegenrae, and of course any last minute additions :) I will post an updated chart tonight, and thanks to everyone for being so quick to get your numbers up!!!

Married to the love of my life partners.gif (career navy), and Mama to 2 amazing little ladies - K~ (03/2009)blahblah.gif and M~ (01/2011)biggrinbounce.gif always to wish I had gotten to know our little ones lost angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif   Reconfiguring my career track and working hard to keep my sanity through it all . . .

#79 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 10:36 AM

Not a great starting eating-wise to the day, but just finished an hour long power walk with my mom in this gorgeous weather!  Mood is up and I have the energy to drink my water and eat better the rest of today! :)

#80 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 10:58 AM

Looks like we have a great group forming up here. I had been avoiding the scale due to bad eating. So my original thoughts at what my weight was, when I said I wanted to join were a little off.

Can you put me at 194.8 - that was my official weigh in this morning.

I've been trying to not eat in the evenings, that is my biggest weakness. Once the kids are in bed, I feel like it is "my time" and use food to treat myself. Silly, because it isn't doing anything good to my health.

Good luck everyone on this first week!

#81 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My starting weight is 217.6 and I'm 5'4.  Hip measurement is 44 in. and waist is 40 in. I actually measure my waist a little above my natural waist because that's where the top of my hockey pants should be, if I were wearing the correct size for my height. Lol 

I fell over my toddler's wooden wagon and hurt my back and neck. I need to find a chiro. Last week, struggled during my hockey class because of the pain. Skipped my Saturday class because of it.Only walking at the moment which isn't enough for me. I do have class Wednesday and hockey shooting practice on Thursday, and another hockey class next Saturday. Hoping I'll be able to do all that. Also, a big challenge for me tomorrow night. I'm going to a pro hockey game (joy.gif)and as a vegetarian, not many choices in food. Mostly junk. I'll skip the desert and fries. Thankfully, my dh is also working on eating healthier so I'll have some support.

Good luck to everyone this week!smile.gif

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
#82 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Wow, there is some serious action around the thread.  It's so motivating to read about everyone else being motivated!!

My goals - I'd love to love 8 kilos in 8 weeks (which was my goal in the first challenge - that I didn't quite achieve)

I am eating pretty much like a champ now, so I think I have to step the exercise up a bit.  Or a LOT.  

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12***16******24*** 28***32***36***40
#83 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 03:04 PM

Dida17 - I struggle with the same after-bedtime-treat-myself routine - even knowing it is self destructive, it is a hard habit to break!!  Good luck!!!

#84 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 03:25 PM

I am weighing in today at 149 and 5 feet even. I had a few beers with DH last night (we had tickets to a show, our first date night in months) and Im feeling a little bloated today. Trying hard to resist the urge to go and buy myself a diet coke, as I gave up diet coke for lent. My habit was horrible...I was a diet coke fiend. DD is turning two tomorrow and her party is Saturday. Im going to make her cake from scratch, which means Ill wind up tasting icing and filling all week.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#85 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Official weigh in is 169 lbs and I am 5'4".  Thanks!!!

#86 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootMama99 View Post

Dida17 - I struggle with the same after-bedtime-treat-myself routine - even knowing it is self destructive, it is a hard habit to break!!  Good luck!!!

Oy, me TOO! I did well yesterday restricting portions, though. Still had not-good-for-me snacks, but not nearly as much as usual. A step in the right direction, anyway.

Sorry it took forever for my check-in. I had a chiro appt for my feet (and back, as it turned out) and a 2nd root canal in less than a month. Anyway, I'm 5'6" and 156lbs as of this morning. I want to do measurements, so that will just have to wait--maybe for tonight. 

I did find out at my chiro that my ankle/foot/leg pain is just from using muscles that haven't really ever been used properly. She showed me a way to use my foam roller to help release the adhesions that come from it and suggested a deep-tissue massage if I can swing it. (Ironic that I run past my massage therapist's house every time I run, lol) It's WET and yucky here today, so I'll probably end up elliptical-ing instead of running. I'm due for C25K's w3d3 today. 

eta: Oh, barefootmama, I meant to suggest some snacks--bell pepper sticks, carrot sticks, celery sticks and hummus. My kids LOVED hummus early on, and it's an easy clean-up if they do make a mess. (once it dries, it will just flake right off) I've also had good luck with what I call "meat roll-ups": a slice of deli turkey with some green beans and mayo or mustard inside. cheese sticks if you eat dairy. fruit and nuts travel really well. I make a version of Lara Bars into a ball instead  of a bar, and add extra protein powder in. I've also made some great no-bake granola bars with oats, honey, pb, and mini-choc chips (and again, a bit of protein powder) that were AMAZING on a cross-country trip. They really hit the dessert spot when we were on the road and other sweets were really bad for us. (My family is gluten- and dairy-free, so we couldn't just stop to eat anywhere, and had to prepare nearly all of our food for 3+ weeks of travel; we just had a cooler and another bag of non-cooler-food.) Tuna salad also works great on the road--just have some disposable bowls and spoons, and don't forget a can opener.  Good luck!!  

EATA: C25K w3d3 DONE (even if it was on the elliptical machine). Mama Wants Her Abs Back #2 Done. :)

~Rae
homebirthing, homeschooling, natural parenting, attached mama to  treehugger.gifDS1(3/05)  kid.gifDS2(3/08)   rainbow1284.gifboc.gifDD (12/12)

#87 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I'd like to join too, I'm 5'1 and 160 lb = 73 kg

am already doing a dance class (1.5 hours) and a roller blading class (1.5 hours) and am planning to resume swimming (1 km in 30 min, once or twice a week used to be my regular work out, but that was 6 months ago before I got ill)

need to work on emotional eating & reduce portion sizes

#88 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 05:03 PM

I can't believe that I am 44 posts behind! Talk about motivating, yay! Lets keep up the frequent posts. It really helps me. I gained a little with the one week off.

Trekkingirl 5' 6"  189.9lbs

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#89 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 05:35 PM

It is great reading all the posts.  It might take me a little while to get to know who everyone is, and keep everything straight.  But it is great to know everyone is trying for the same goals, to change our habits, lose weight and feel great!

I'm trying to turn off the night eating still.  I just got back from an hour long walk and feel invigorated and less inclined to snack.  A shower and teeth brushing shall help too.  I struggle with the snacking thing too when my littles take their afternoon nap.  I've been finding that a smoothie has been hitting the spot and is healthy, low-calorie and tastes so good, i even feel like I'm being a little bad :)  I put lots of frozen fruit and ice too, so it is extra thick and takes awhile to sip.  Other additions like protein powder or greek yogourt help to keep me feeling full.  I use plain almond milk because it is only 40 calories per cup.  And I add some agave nector to sweeten it.  Agave is 300 times sweeter than sugar, so you only need a little drizzle to sweeten it for little calories.  Peanut butter makes a great addition too, especially with banana.

So smoothie is my afternoon strategy.  Night will take a little more effort: exercise, shower, brushing teeth, and maybe a cup of tea.  Taking care of ourselves feels good too, we just have to change our habits. 

Hoping I can keep myself motivated for the long haul, that's always so tough for me:  Managing my highs and lows in this struggle to be healthy.

#90 of 465 Old 03-19-2012, 05:36 PM

I think finding NON-Food "rewards" is really important not only for us as women who want to lose weight but also as mothers (so we avoid passing on the food-as-reward mentality to our kids). I love rewards such as: a movie, a new book, a hot bath, massage, new lotions, new clothes, time alone, saving up for a vacation, yoga feels so great .... I would love to hear how others reward themselves without food. 

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page