The eight week healthy weight loss challenge - version 2.0 (start date 19/03/12) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 465 Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did horribly with food yesterday. Ugh. Surprise visit from AF. Only third one since babe was born. They are super irregular ( two months after 1st and then 3 weeks later!) I wasn't prepared and so ate a lot of junk yesterday. Today will be better.

I did walk another mile last night. Trying to do 10 each week to set a reasonable goal.
#122 of 465 Old 03-21-2012, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I weigh every morning. Helps keep me focused, but not obsessive.  

My goal this week is to track calories every day.   I have been sloppy with measuring my portions and that has to stop.  So, that is my big goal -- to eat only what I think I am eating. 

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#123 of 465 Old 03-21-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootMama99 View Post

Trying to decide about weighing more often than weekly or just weekly . . . and thoughts on the merits/disadvantages of frequent weighins vs weekly?  How often do you weigh?

I weigh myself several times a day, but every so often I ask dh to hide the scale. I hate being tied to that thing.

#124 of 465 Old 03-21-2012, 09:31 AM

Great workout today - but bad insomnnia night  - I know that's wrecking havoc on my metabolism.....I need to drink more water today

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#125 of 465 Old 03-21-2012, 10:10 AM

Ugh, I totally ate too much cake batter. bag.gif

I did a pretty awesome 1.5 hour walk yesterday, wearing one kiddo and pushing the other. Id like to use my shake weight. Does anyone else have one? Does it work? My arms are probably my biggest point of self consciousness, and I have a hard time getting them to not be so big.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#126 of 465 Old 03-21-2012, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I cannot wait until we got our new computer (two weeks). Our old one is so slow that I end up not replying at times because it takes so long for pages to load up.

Snacking at night: I have the same problem. I keep telling myself I should start doing healthier snacks: air popped popcorn or fruit. But I only convince myself of that once in a while. I occasionally will decide I am done eating and will brush my teeth because then I won't eat so I don't have to brush them again (I'm big on clean teeth before bed).

Calorie intake: I see a lot of low calorie intakes around. I have a Biggest Loser book and their diet is around 1,200. I did a diet once that was 1,600 calories with a high energy workout and I saw steady weight loss on it. So I don't think less, less, less is necessarily the answer. I'm not tracking my calories right now. If I plateau, I will probably change my mind. I'm still nursing my 14 month old so I wouldn't want to kill my milk supply by cutting too many calories.

Weighing in: I tend to do it most days. I don't take the number too seriously (easier since I haven't had huge variations lately). I weigh myself nude in the morning - after peeing. I think if you can use your weight as motivation (yah, I'm doing good I should workout again today and oops it's a bit high, I should have salad on the side of dinner instead of bread) then there's no problem in it.

My workouts: Monday 40 minutes on elliptical, Tuesday a 20 minute ab video and today 45 minutes on elliptical.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#127 of 465 Old 03-21-2012, 01:17 PM

I usually hit the gym 4 times a week and haven't gotten to go in over a week, so not feeling too great in that category. Hopefully I will get there on Friday.

My gym owner says to try for at least 1200-1500 calories a day, especially if you are working out. She has watched many clients workout and eat very little and their weight not budge as their body hangs onto it. Also, interval training has been giving me some good results lately. So a min of high intensity and then a min recovering, etc. This is good on the eliptical, treadmill, or bike. I also do a few youtube short workouts at night- butt, thigh, abs, etc. Nothing lasting more than 10 mins or so on each. I am hoping to see these last 10 pounds go during this 8 weeks, but they are always the hardest to lose, so fingers crossed! Good love lovelies!!!

#128 of 465 Old 03-21-2012, 01:40 PM

Forgot who asked, but:  For this tread, we weigh in once per week and it is on MONDAYS. There will be some folks starting to send in weights on Sunday because they are not in the US and so Monday morning is many hours ahead of us.

#129 of 465 Old 03-21-2012, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

didn't do too well on the 20th since we had a family birthday with lots of icing on our home made cake and many sweets to decorate ...

on the other hand, resumed swimming after a hiatus of 5 months

today i did fine with food intake (was tinking of this thread as I served pasta to the children & only got myself half of what I used to eat ...)

workout was just walking with the children, but on Wednesdays, that'all i can fit in ...

tomorrow hoping to swim more than I did yesterday !

#130 of 465 Old 03-21-2012, 02:20 PM

Did really well with diet and went on a two hour walk pushing all three kids yesterday so I expected good results on the scale this morning. Well got AF again in the middle of the night and gained 3 ounces since yesterday morning. Getting AF every week is starting to get on my nerves. I'm thinking about getting back on the mini pill that I hate.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#131 of 465 Old 03-21-2012, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Trekkinggirl - If I were dealing with what you are dealing with, I would definitely think about the bcp.  I know it's not ideal, but sometimes there is just no choice.  I took it for years when I was younger, because of problems with my uterus and endo, and other crap.  There is definitely something to be said for being able to DECIDE when you get AF. 

I'm seriously thinking about upping my calories for a few days to see how it goes.  I've been around 12000 or just under, and my scale has not budged.  We went for a long walk last night, and still nothing. 

What's a good way to up the calories by say, 200ish without eating crap??  Any ideas? 

Yes, weigh in is definitely MONDAY.  Earlier if you won't be around for Monday.  Or if you are ahead, like me. 

Well done everyone for what you've done so far, and lots of check ins...

GO BLUE!

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12**16***20***24*** 28***32***36***40
#132 of 465 Old 03-21-2012, 04:05 PM

Finishing a good day here.  I try to keep my calories around the 1600-1700 mark.  Much lower than that and I get too cranky and irritable.  Any more and my weight won't budge.  1650 is my sweet spot.  I am nursing too, so that burns a ton of calories even if I am not getting a lot of exercise.  

Today, I tallied 1671 with plenty of good food.  Not hungry at all, though I always want sweets at night.  Resisting the urge and going for a nice cup of tea or two.  

Oh, and GO RED!!!!

#133 of 465 Old 03-21-2012, 05:40 PM

I didn't see this anywhere, so forgive me if it's already been posted/discussed. I've always been told that you should count your net calories. So I'm on 1200 calories a day, but if I exercise and burn 300 calories, then I should add that to my total food calories for the day. If you don't then you're only taking 900 calories really, which puts your body into starvation mode. Anything less than 1200 calories will do this.

Today I didn't do any gardening, but I did play some soccer in the yard with the kids and we took our daily walk. smile.gif

Nicole, sewmachine.gif Mama to hearts.gif C (4/07) and whistling.gif Z (2/09).

#134 of 465 Old 03-21-2012, 06:09 PM

Milk8shake - what about nuts? Almonds and cashews are super healthy and come in at about 150ish calories a serving.

Calories - I usually stay within 1000-1300 calories. It sounds like so little compared with what you all are eating, but my weight doesn't budge if I go much higher. I'm feeling good and I have plenty of energy, though, so it seems to work for me.

I mentioned on the last thread that I'm doing Slim in 6 and that I had taken my "before" pics when I started. Well, I'm a month into it now, and I took another series of pics today. HOLY CRAP. I've measured myself a few times since then, so I'd known I'd lost inches, but I didn't fully appreciate the difference until I was looking at the pictures side by side. That was great motivation to get off the couch and do my workout today! I also ordered two Ellen Barrett DVDs, and a Spibelt for when I start c25k (still need some decent running shoes).

How often (if at all) do you all allow yourselves "treats"? I've noticed that lately I've been sneaking in small amounts of sweets more and more often. I had a few small chunks of a chocolate bar today, and yesterday I had 3 WhoNu cookies, and the day before I don't even remember but I know it was something. I'm not sure if I should be trying to cut all of that out of my diet completely, or if a little bit is okay every day or almost every day. (I have a huge sweet tooth.) Thoughts?

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#135 of 465 Old 03-21-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantesmama View Post

Milk8shake - what about nuts? Almonds and cashews are super healthy and come in at about 150ish calories a serving.

Calories - I usually stay within 1000-1300 calories. It sounds like so little compared with what you all are eating, but my weight doesn't budge if I go much higher. I'm feeling good and I have plenty of energy, though, so it seems to work for me.

I mentioned on the last thread that I'm doing Slim in 6 and that I had taken my "before" pics when I started. Well, I'm a month into it now, and I took another series of pics today. HOLY CRAP. I've measured myself a few times since then, so I'd known I'd lost inches, but I didn't fully appreciate the difference until I was looking at the pictures side by side. That was great motivation to get off the couch and do my workout today! I also ordered two Ellen Barrett DVDs, and a Spibelt for when I start c25k (still need some decent running shoes).

How often (if at all) do you all allow yourselves "treats"? I've noticed that lately I've been sneaking in small amounts of sweets more and more often. I had a few small chunks of a chocolate bar today, and yesterday I had 3 WhoNu cookies, and the day before I don't even remember but I know it was something. I'm not sure if I should be trying to cut all of that out of my diet completely, or if a little bit is okay every day or almost every day. (I have a huge sweet tooth.) Thoughts?

one small treat in the morning after a protein rich breakfast. research supports this as a way to maintain weight loss!

#136 of 465 Old 03-21-2012, 08:17 PM

i have a question for you calorie counters: how are you sure that your baked potato actually has X number of calories and no more or less? (to give an example.) and how are you sure that your exercise intensity on your power walk *really* burned X number of calories and not more or less?

this is one of the problems i have with counting calories. it seems to be so much "estimation." that and another problem i have is that i think it makes me more obsessed with feeding and exercising, whereas i prefer to just sort of wing it, try to eat only good foods, try to eat less of them, and try to exercise "more" in my regular, daily life. and not obsess about food or exercise. it's a priority, but not priority number 1.

any thoughts or advice?

#137 of 465 Old 03-21-2012, 08:48 PM

Three miles again tonight on the track, ran every other lap. I got my knees taped today at the PT and it felt great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicana View Post

i have a question for you calorie counters: how are you sure that your baked potato actually has X number of calories and no more or less? (to give an example.) and how are you sure that your exercise intensity on your power walk *really* burned X number of calories and not more or less?

this is one of the problems i have with counting calories. it seems to be so much "estimation." that and another problem i have is that i think it makes me more obsessed with feeding and exercising, whereas i prefer to just sort of wing it, try to eat only good foods, try to eat less of them, and try to exercise "more" in my regular, daily life. and not obsess about food or exercise. it's a priority, but not priority number 1.

any thoughts or advice?

I'm not a big calorie counter. I sort of know now how I have to eat/exercise to lose weight and if I'm consistent and stick to familiar foods I don't tend to go overboard.

However, when I first started altering my food intake I really had to take a good look at things in terms of fats, calories, and portion size. I used myfitnesspal off and on to give me an idea how much of my favorite foods and new foods I could eat. I know it's not exact by any means but over the course of the week the trend is down and I stick with it. I *think* that when I'm in a groove I'm eating 1300-1500 calories a day, and I'm not interested in following it more closely than that. I would be obsessed too if I thought too much about it.

#138 of 465 Old 03-21-2012, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I went to my 1/2 hour hockey class tonight. Took some advil beforehand and no problems with pain. I'm going to the rink tomorrow for an hour of stick practice. Lots of practicing shooting on goal and skating in gear.

I need to find a healthy snack for night time. I also struggle with a sweet tooth in the evenings.

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
#139 of 465 Old 03-21-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote Allisonrose:
Weighing in: I tend to do it most days. I don't take the number too seriously (easier since I haven't had huge variations lately). I weigh myself nude in the morning - after peeing. I think if you can use your weight as motivation (yah, I'm doing good I should workout again today and oops it's a bit high, I should have salad on the side of dinner instead of bread) then there's no problem in it.

This is how I do it and view it. Just a kind of mental check-in to start the day. Plus it gives me something to do while my freaking OPK is developing and my saliva is drying on my scope right now. :P 

I'm kind of like Buzzer with the (not) calorie-counting. If I find that I think I should be losing and I'm not, then I'll go back to myfitnesspal and log a few days as a reality check. BUT like you said, tropicana, those are all just estimates. And I TOTALLY think the workout calore burns on mfp are full of shit--they totally overestimate how many calories are burned. DH and I did some comparisons between activities on it and what his mini-computer/wrist monitor (seriously, the thing is huge & I make fun of him for it, but he's training for a marathon & it has GPS too) and the Kinect workouts said. NO WONDER I wasn't losing weight as I "should" have been by replacing those workout calories with food when I was using mfp as my only guide--I didn't actually have that many calories to replace & ended up going over my calorie total for weight loss nearly every day when I went back and edited my calorie burn. :/

I am feeling a bit better in  my barefoot shoes--did C25K week4, day1 tonight on the trail near me between rain showers. There was only standing water in one place on the trail, so not too bad. I started off my warmup wondering why my ankles weren't sore like yesterday, when I realized I'd taken 800mg ibuprofen a couple hours prior for residual root canal pain from Monday. :P I think I may do that while my feet/ankles/legs get used to working those muscles properly--take some anti-inflammatories before putting them through the wringer again. I've also been stretching and massaging like crazy, so hopefully it'll resolve soon. A couple of times my left foot in particular didn't want to support the weight as it should, so I ended up landing on my heel too much and it HURT, but by the end, my body had remembered proper barefoot running gait. (I bet I looked like an idiot during most of it, though!) I also did an ab workout once I came back to the hizzy.

I am determined to NOT be a liability this time, ladies! GO RED TEAM!

~Rae
homebirthing, homeschooling, natural parenting, attached mama to  treehugger.gifDS1(3/05)  kid.gifDS2(3/08)   rainbow1284.gifboc.gifDD (12/12)

#140 of 465 Old 03-22-2012, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I have never, ever counted calories before.  It's new to me. I've been researching.

My Basal Metabolic Rate is 1612.25 

I used the formula to calculate the calories required for maintenance of my weight (I calculated at "sedentary" because that will give the smallest calorie result)

The result was 1934 calories required.  Supposedly you should create a calorie deficit of 500 calories (minimum).

Currently, after exercise, I'm probably taking in somewhere around the 900-1000 calories a day.  Which is a deficit of nearly 1000.  

Don't get me wrong, I have weight to lose, but I'm only 11 kilos off the healthy weight range, so it's not a huge amount (IMO)

And it says that for women, calories should never drop below 1200, so I'm seriously wondering if this is where my issue is?

I've read quite a bit tonight about hitting plateaus, and having to kick start the metabolism, so I think I will give it a go.  

Easier said than done though - even today, I'm still 300 calories out from what Calorie King thinks I should be eating!  

I might try and give the nuts ago, although I'm not a huge fan of just eating nuts on their own.  I like them in cooking though.  

Re: accuracy of calorie counting, Google is my friend.  I mapped out the walk that I do, and how long it took, worked out the speed, and put it in an online calculator with my weight, and it spits out calories burned.  I'd say it's reasonably accurate.  Also, Calorie King lets me search a food, enter a quantity, and it spits out the value.  With packaged foods, it's very specific, and with things like vegetables, it is approximate.  I do think that if you are "honest" about whether it is a big or medium potato, or 50 or 100g, for example, then it is also pretty close to accurate.

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12**16***20***24*** 28***32***36***40
#141 of 465 Old 03-22-2012, 05:36 AM

I find calorie counting relaxing!  ROTFLMAO.gif 

I have been doing weight watchers which is very similar.  Either way, I have a target range and simply plug in the numbers.  It takes my mind off it and right now I am juggling 4 kids on my own while my dh travels for work.  I just eat what I have planned and stop when I have met my target calories.  It sort of lets me go on auto-pilot.  

#142 of 465 Old 03-22-2012, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

had a 30 min head and neck massage today + resumed swimming "for good"

it's been about5 months since I last swam 1 km

hoping to be reasonnable with my food intake now ....

#143 of 465 Old 03-22-2012, 06:54 AM

I'm still nursing my 14 month old also, though he only nurses in the evening and at nights during the week and more during the weekends during the day.  I track my calories, but allow my self 1900 (calorie count said 1500)  I'm still losing weight and have not seen a decrease in my milk production.  sO I would have to agree low calorie intakes are not the answer all the time.  I weighed my self this morning and I was down to 179, don't know how I managed that one. 

My workout last night was only 10 minutes... of jumping jacks and running in place.  My kids helped by wanting me to hold them while I was running place, so that helped.    I can't wait until I am able to get my double jogger so I can go for long walks in the eveings with my kiddos. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose View Post

Calorie intake: I see a lot of low calorie intakes around. I have a Biggest Loser book and their diet is around 1,200. I did a diet once that was 1,600 calories with a high energy workout and I saw steady weight loss on it. So I don't think less, less, less is necessarily the answer. I'm not tracking my calories right now. If I plateau, I will probably change my mind. I'm still nursing my 14 month old so I wouldn't want to kill my milk supply by cutting too many calories.

#144 of 465 Old 03-22-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer Beater View Post 

What are your goals for the week everyone?

Eat as little junk as possible and get back into my running routine.

Good luck with your goals!

#145 of 465 Old 03-22-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootMama99 View Post

My goal for the week is to not gain with all the celebrating we will be doing this week (2 birthdays and deployment homecoming!) and to get my workouts going!  So far this week I an 1 for 2 on the workouts.  Trying to decide about weighing more often than weekly or just weekly . . . and thoughts on the merits/disadvantages of frequent weighins vs weekly?  How often do you weigh?

I weigh often. At least twice a day. It is motivating to me.

#146 of 465 Old 03-22-2012, 03:09 PM

well I lost two pounds yesterday even though I had a couple cookies and my beloved mini cadbury eggs! I am trying to do better today. Hope to lose evn more tomorrow.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#147 of 465 Old 03-22-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

well I lost two pounds yesterday even though I had a couple cookies and my beloved mini cadbury eggs! I am trying to do better today. Hope to lose evn more tomorrow.

Okay woman, I gotta know!!! How in the hell do you lose 2 pounds in one day??

Spill what else you ate and your exercise.

And which team are you on???

#148 of 465 Old 03-22-2012, 03:41 PM

well I am doing low carb. Yesterday I had lots of ground beef. Not much fruit but all the veggies I want. Except potatoes, corn, or peas. I eat lots of cheese. Some nuts or nut butter. I did a lot of running around yesterday with errands so no real excersize. The day before I pushed three kids in a tandem stroller for about a mile. I was so strict on my diet that day and expected good numbers but instead I got my period. Maybe TMI but I suffer chronic constipation and had major sylium husk and made lots of #2 so maybe that helped. It isn't uncommon for me to go a few days without going #2

#149 of 465 Old 03-22-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Ugh, I totally ate too much cake batter. bag.gif
I did a pretty awesome 1.5 hour walk yesterday, wearing one kiddo and pushing the other. Id like to use my shake weight. Does anyone else have one? Does it work? My arms are probably my biggest point of self consciousness, and I have a hard time getting them to not be so big.

I have no experience with them. Let us know how they work out!
#150 of 465 Old 03-22-2012, 03:43 PM

Oh I'm on the blue team. Last challenge I averaged 4 pounds a week and lost a total of 20 pounds with that challenge. I think it helped that I started at 208lbs. Seems the more you have to lose the faster it goes. 

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page