The eight week healthy weight loss challenge - version 2.0 (start date 19/03/12) - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 465 Old 03-27-2012, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I joined myfitnesspal... my screen name is the same, feel free to add me

#242 of 465 Old 03-27-2012, 10:36 AM

Ok, some questions. Is this weight loss challenge already starting? I thought it started sometime in April. Just let me know someone please.

What team am I on?

If it is relevant right now, I am 5'5 and I weigh 159 pounds. I can still work it, but I want to get down to 150 for this challenge.

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#243 of 465 Old 03-27-2012, 12:33 PM

it started on the 19th. you missed the first week.

Someone had asked how we might help the gainers turn up the motivation. Being this is my second challenge I too am having a hard time with motivation. So I was thinking about the TV program THE BIGGEST LOSER, what keeps them motivated? The sad truth is that their motivation comes from fear of elimination. Maybe that might help this thread turn up the heat! What if a gain two weeks in a row equals elimination. That might really help me.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#244 of 465 Old 03-27-2012, 01:48 PM

150.8 I haven't lost or gained. My first weigh in was weird because the day after I was back up to 153 so I'm not sure if this actually shows a loss or not. I've accomplished about 60 minutes of exercise last week. I mostly stuck to my caloric goals. Hopefully I'll have lost by the end of next week. 

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#245 of 465 Old 03-27-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thanks to the late check ins.  Vermontgirl, I PM'ed you.

For the newbies:  We are not counting your weigh in for this week, but we do need a starting weight.  Your first weigh in will be April 2.  Weigh ins are every MONDAY.  If you do not post MONDAY is creates more work for Barefootmama.  If you cannot post MONDAY, please post asap afterwards.  Please watch for posts from myself and Barefootmama for any updates.

Trekkinggirl - I thought along the lines of "adding weight" to the team as a whole if the have gainers, so they have to work harder to be the biggest losers... I like your idea too, but I don't really wanna kick anyone out! What does everyone else think?  

Me & him partners.gif and our beautiful fur boys Dukedog2.gif and Chopz dog2.gif

Forever missing our little ones lost

angel1.gif angel1.gif angel3.gif angel3.gif angel3.gif angel2.gif angel1.gif

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

#246 of 465 Old 03-27-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

it started on the 19th. you missed the first week.

Someone had asked how we might help the gainers turn up the motivation. Being this is my second challenge I too am having a hard time with motivation. So I was thinking about the TV program THE BIGGEST LOSER, what keeps them motivated? The sad truth is that their motivation comes from fear of elimination. Maybe that might help this thread turn up the heat! What if a gain two weeks in a row equals elimination. That might really help me.

rank the team members based on cumulative best weight loss. the person who has lost the most this week in each team is listed first. the least losing person (or the worst gainer) is listed last. next week, use the cumulative score of this week + the next week. if there is someone on the tail end who does nothing but gain, it really shows who that person is. if someone is really kicking butt and taking off the pounds, they get that highlighted by being first. 

if someone gains cumulative more than 5 pounds, they are eliminated, as this is a big drag on a team that is otherwise "losing".

#247 of 465 Old 03-27-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaFrench View Post

Lairaja, could you give a link to your bellydancing DVD, please ? am looking for a good one to start using at home between classes

(missed yesterday's class + am going to miss the next 2 classes ...)

It's a local woman who teaches. I got to go to her classes for about a month last year (it was a Groupon!) and I loved her. She has three DVD's - I'm doing the second one because I felt ready for a challenge. If you've been going to classes regularly you might want more advanced. Anyway, the link is http://www.farfesha.com/dvds.html.

Thanks for the info about cows milk, too, IsaFrench. I've been thinking of really cutting out dairy to help with weight loss. If it might be affecting my feet, too, I'm totally ready to give it a shot. Butter and cheese are hard to say goodbye to, though. :-)

SAHM with amazing DP, brilliant DS (10/18/07) and sweet-as-pie DD (1/26/10). We are extended BF, bedsharing, babywearing, CD, novax, no circ, UP, simple living and happy to be here!
#248 of 465 Old 03-27-2012, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I went to the Dr today and have to do physical therapy for my hip. I can do weights and planks and some strength training but no long walks or running. I am committed to getting some exercise and watching what I eat but feel like under the rules of the contest maybe I am disqualified? I would totally understand if I needed to be replaced on the red team and would keep checking in and cheering you on.

#249 of 465 Old 03-27-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCBMAX View Post

I have to admit that I was ambivalent about joining this thread and having a commitment to you all, but it's really helping me stay conscious - thanks to all.

BuzzerBeater - I'm in on the c25k, especially since reading the support for doing the same week over and over. I've done a few weeks of it previously but forced myself to stick to the increasing challenges and so of course overshot my abilities and quit. Yesterday I did the first workout, but not even running, just speed walking for the run intervals. And I'm going to get myself some new running shoes today for more inspiration and to keep the joints happy.

Yay for us over 40s! I'm glad not to be the only one here, and I think we should get extra credit for every pound we lose - or at least pat ourselves on the back. 

Sweet! We're over 40 and we're RUNNING!

I did week one day one yesterday. I'm going to the track MWF.

#250 of 465 Old 03-27-2012, 05:21 PM

I worked out tonight.  I did some strength in my living room and my kids enjoyed helping me out as my weights.  I am really looking forward to when we get out double jogger so I can take the kids for walks and do some running when we get home from daycare and work.  

#251 of 465 Old 03-27-2012, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lairaja View Post

It's a local woman who teaches. I got to go to her classes for about a month last year (it was a Groupon!) and I loved her. She has three DVD's - I'm doing the second one because I felt ready for a challenge. If you've been going to classes regularly you might want more advanced. Anyway, the link is http://www.farfesha.com/dvds.html.

Thanks for the info about cows milk, too, IsaFrench. I've been thinking of really cutting out dairy to help with weight loss. If it might be affecting my feet, too, I'm totally ready to give it a shot. Butter and cheese are hard to say goodbye to, though. :-)

I checked out a belly dancing dvd from the library today and tonight did about 15 minutes. It was really boring, even my kids complained. I haven't taken classes in a long time, but remember that they were fun.

I'm thinking about ordering your teacher's dvd. Anything with laughter in the title's got to be a lot of fun. Maybe my dd will give it a try. smile.gif   Thanks for posting the link!

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
#252 of 465 Old 03-28-2012, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Tomorrow I'm planning on taking back to back hockey classes.  One is more hockey drills, the other is scrimmaging.  About 1 1/2 hours. I hope I have enough stamina to do both.

My ds is teething and nursing a lot. In the past it's effected my weight loss. I really would like to lose at least 1 pound this week

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
#253 of 465 Old 03-28-2012, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicana View Post

rank the team members based on cumulative best weight loss. the person who has lost the most this week in each team is listed first. the least losing person (or the worst gainer) is listed last. next week, use the cumulative score of this week + the next week. if there is someone on the tail end who does nothing but gain, it really shows who that person is. if someone is really kicking butt and taking off the pounds, they get that highlighted by being first. 

if someone gains cumulative more than 5 pounds, they are eliminated, as this is a big drag on a team that is otherwise "losing".

Last challenge we did do listings in order of loss, I plan to do that again - was just waiting for remaining check ins.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificbliss View Post

I went to the Dr today and have to do physical therapy for my hip. I can do weights and planks and some strength training but no long walks or running. I am committed to getting some exercise and watching what I eat but feel like under the rules of the contest maybe I am disqualified? I would totally understand if I needed to be replaced on the red team and would keep checking in and cheering you on.

AFAIC, you can stay.  You just have to commit to 4 x 30 mins per the "rules".  Weights and strength training are exercise, and if you are going to keep an eye on the food, then I think it's fine.

I don't think we should just "dump" you due to injury.  That said, if you feel like you can't manage, and need to quietly bow out, it's totally up to you.

Maybe you could do some swimming or pilates?  

Me & him partners.gif and our beautiful fur boys Dukedog2.gif and Chopz dog2.gif

#254 of 465 Old 03-28-2012, 03:38 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I am in the "let's not kick anybody off" for gaining but instead encourage them to better habits - exercise, eating, water, etc.  I think we all need that encouragement.

This challenge is helping me.  Tuesday I got my 30 minute walk in with DH and it seems to have made a difference.

Breakfast yesterday: peanut butter and all fruit jelly sandwich on homemade whole wheat bread with applesauce (it was yummy :))

Lunch: 3 pieces of Pizza hut pizza (2 were pineapple, one was black olive), a cookie, and a cup of fat free plain yogurt with a couple table spoons of sugar.

Afternoon snack: applesauce

Supper: Ramen noodles with broccoli slaw veggies and 1/2 packet of ramen noodle seasoning and chopped up veggie chicken pieces, 2 pears, a few tator tots (because DH didn't like the ramen noodles with broccoli slaw veggies)

Drank lots of water and had more veggies and fruit than I normally do.  Key to success for me is exercise and fruits/veggies.

Go Red Team!

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#255 of 465 Old 03-28-2012, 03:59 AM

Finally did my weigh in - 144

Happy because we were away for the weekend.  Yesterday was a great one: hour of cardio and weights for back, bis, quads/hamstrings and abs.

I ate:  2 boiled eggs; salad w/ shrimp I cooked in a bit of olive oil and cajun spices; cup of black bean soup for a snack (my mom made it from the WW cookbook) and turkey chili for dinner - addded in green tea (a few cups) and lots of water (and one glass of white wine after the first grade show at school - medicinal f course!!  lol)

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#256 of 465 Old 03-28-2012, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk8shake View Post

AFAIC, you can stay.  You just have to commit to 4 x 30 mins per the "rules".  Weights and strength training are exercise, and if you are going to keep an eye on the food, then I think it's fine.

I am not keeping up with the exercise either.  That's just the way it has to be now.  Right now, wrangling 4 kids into the van and grocery shopping is a workout in itself, so I am counting everything I do as exercise!  Hauling laundry, digging in the garden, managing homework time with a baby on my back...seriously, when I am not working out!  

But really, I think everyone at all levels is very welcome here.  orngbiggrin.gif

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#257 of 465 Old 03-28-2012, 06:14 AM

It's 80+ degrees here today, so Im going to be outside all afternoon. Excited! I eat so much less when its nice outside and Im not sitting on my ass looking at the computer.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#258 of 465 Old 03-28-2012, 07:55 AM

Any tips on how to lose during AF? Obviously no salt and no junk, anything else? I think I might not weigh until Monday. Normally I weigh twice a week. But I don't want to get demotivated. I did Week 1 Day 1 of C25K yesterday. I think I might need to evening exercise to fit it in when I go back to work full time or maybe really early? That would be hard I like my sleep shy.gif.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#259 of 465 Old 03-28-2012, 08:16 AM

Question: Ive been looking at the C25K websites and it really seems like something I could do- IF I can do it in place. Do you all think it matters if I jog in place instead of outside? The road I live on is windy and curvy and not really safe to run on, plus I dont have a double stroller or anyone to watch the kids while I go run.

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#260 of 465 Old 03-28-2012, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Can I "join" for support?  I'm obviously too late to get in on the real challenge, and don't necessarily need to lose weight, but need all kinds of support and motivation.

(Hi, Milk.  I saw this thread in the "highlights" and recognized your avi and thought I'd see what it was all about.) :)

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

I'm a Younique Presenter. Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#261 of 465 Old 03-28-2012, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Fixing my subscription.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

I'm a Younique Presenter. Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#262 of 465 Old 03-28-2012, 02:32 PM

I like the rankings and I think it is fine to keep people if they want to stay but I do think everyone who is staying should try to focus on being really dedicated to dropping pounds. I was injured at week 7 last time and could only do weights with my arms and I know it is hard but stay with it, stay focused and be even more good about the food and the pounds can still come off!

I have been full time mom all day and I am exhausted but I am going to do 90 of work out now. Coming here and writing this is how I am ensuring I do it. I like to keep my word and now my word is in print :)

#263 of 465 Old 03-28-2012, 02:36 PM

Just finished w1d1 of c25k. Man, it was hard. Gotta keep moving!

SIDS happens. 

#264 of 465 Old 03-28-2012, 03:11 PM

Awesome! I am going to stick around then and weight train until PT says otherwise. Thanks!

#265 of 465 Old 03-28-2012, 03:22 PM

Ok, finished up for today.  My calves are killing me... but that's a good sign, my abs are hurting to.  Next week I think I'm going to start c25k, hopefully by the end of the week I'll have my double stroller, but until then my mom said she would watch the kids while I go run.  

#266 of 465 Old 03-28-2012, 04:23 PM

Managed my wimpy version of c25k today, w1d2, but still just speed walking for the run segments. I compensate by also speed walking for the cool down segment. Felt great to be out of breath. 

...if only I didn't have to be a mama right afterward...

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#267 of 465 Old 03-28-2012, 04:55 PM

I've been gone all day and ate every meal out...too many carbs and too many calories.  greensad.gif

We are gone most of tomorrow too but I can bring food tomorrow.

#268 of 465 Old 03-28-2012, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

I'm on the road today. Interstate for a doc appt. Feeling very guilty that I grabbed a packet of chipd between stops to snack on.
I won't be getting any 'proper exercise today because I'm having a uterine biopsy, and expecting to feel lousy afterwards.
I hope it's not too bad. I'm a wuss.

#269 of 465 Old 03-28-2012, 05:51 PM

Milk8shake, good luck with your biopsy. I'm a wuss about stuff like that too; I'd be a nervous wreck. I'll be thinking of you.

Did w1d2 of c25k today. The running intervals felt much easier than they did the other day; I think having more calories in my system helped. Either way, I'm proud of myself for getting out and doing it, because it was cold and windy and after a busy, stressful day I just wanted to curl up with a book and a blanket.

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#270 of 465 Old 03-28-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk8shake View Post

I'm on the road today. Interstate for a doc appt. Feeling very guilty that I grabbed a packet of chipd between stops to snack on.
I won't be getting any 'proper exercise today because I'm having a uterine biopsy, and expecting to feel lousy afterwards.
I hope it's not too bad. I'm a wuss.

Ah crap. Hope it goes well for you and it's something easy to fix. I had a d&c in Feb for polyps and I feel for ya.

Did week 1 day 2 c25k today. I did it for 5k instead of 20 to 30 minutes though. I don't want to admit how long that took me, but I really really want to cover that distance each time I run. Kinda hurt today.

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page