Want to join me in a Couch to 5K support thread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 90 Old 03-26-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just (as in 10 minutes ago) started the Couch to 5K program.  I've done it in the past (before having kids) and it was a great way to get me to become a regular (though begrudging) runner.  I'm totally out of shape now but began the program again today.  It's an 8-9 week program that slowly builds up to running 5K. 

You can see the details at http://www.c25k.com/

Anyone want to join in and offer support?

Parsley - started 3/26 - finished Week 2!

Sunsetdancer - started ?

Adaline'sMama - started 3/28

Mommy22IN-

Lookattreestar -

Dantesmama - started 3/26- finished Week 1!

AllisonRose - started 4/2 - finished Week 1!

4Marmalade - started ? - finished Week 1!

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#2 of 90 Old 03-28-2012, 09:59 AM

I really want to do this again.  I did it a few years ago but have since had two more kids and need to get back into it. I was looking for the Robert Ullery podcast, but can't seem to find a good track for Week 4.  It only downloads about two minutes of it.  Anyone know where I can find that?  Everywhere I've tried has just linked me back to the first site I found (the one listed above) where it won't download correctly.  The other weeks download fine.  I've tried it a few times and will try it once more.

#3 of 90 Old 03-28-2012, 10:09 AM

I'm going to start today too. I just downloaded an app that will help me keep track of it and now Im just waiting for DD to take her nap so I can run. Unfortunately, I am going to have to do it either in the house or in my yard. I dont mind doing it in the yard (2 acres), but there are some holes that I want DH to fill in first so I dont break an ankle. So, today will be w1day1 for me. Im a little nervous, because Ive never liked running and I have gigantic boobs and cant really afford an expensive sports bra right now. But, Im one of those people that likes to act like I cant exercise unless I have all the right "gear" (you know, a good bra, good running shoes, sunglasses that wont slip off while Im running, shorts that fit well but wont make me chaffed, ect) and its just a list of excuses to justify me sitting on my ass because I hate exercising. SO, Im going to start!

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#4 of 90 Old 03-28-2012, 10:22 AM

I've looked at it and plan on starting next week when I'm on break from school and go from there.  Taht way I have someone who can watch my kids while I run and hopefully by the end fo the week I'll have my double storller so I can keep going with my kids once I go back to work.

#5 of 90 Old 03-28-2012, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

lol i am the same way bag.gif i have never done this before, but i want to try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I'm going to start today too. I just downloaded an app that will help me keep track of it and now Im just waiting for DD to take her nap so I can run. Unfortunately, I am going to have to do it either in the house or in my yard. I dont mind doing it in the yard (2 acres), but there are some holes that I want DH to fill in first so I dont break an ankle. So, today will be w1day1 for me. Im a little nervous, because Ive never liked running and I have gigantic boobs and cant really afford an expensive sports bra right now. But, Im one of those people that likes to act like I cant exercise unless I have all the right "gear" (you know, a good bra, good running shoes, sunglasses that wont slip off while Im running, shorts that fit well but wont make me chaffed, ect) and its just a list of excuses to justify me sitting on my ass because I hate exercising. SO, Im going to start!

mama to one '07 and one '09
#6 of 90 Old 03-28-2012, 12:52 PM

Whew! I did it. w1d1 complete! The app I got is really helpful. I like that you can access itunes through it, so I can listen to music and then the nice lady comes on and tells me to walk or run. I was at my worst at 18-23 minutes, feeling like my calves were going to explode, but then got a second wind and the last part of the workout was easier for me. I did do it outside, I just kind of made myself a visual track around the yard ran the entire thing 12 times. I noticed so many weeds and paint that is peeling off the house. So, its three days a week right? Are you supposed to do every other day? Today is Wed, so should I strive for Fri and Sun and then Tue Thurs Sat? Or does it really matter? Im going to be in the city Fri, so it would be easier for me to do it on Sat.

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 90 Old 03-28-2012, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'll join. I just did week 1 day 2 today. Day 1 nearly killed me but today was substantially easier. I also felt I had to have all the "gear" before I started, so I hit up a good Kohls sale last week.

I'm using the RunDouble c25k app and listening to my own music in the background. Music makes all the difference!

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#8 of 90 Old 03-29-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

I did w1d2 yesterday.  I'm also using an Ipod app-- http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/couch-to-5k/id448474423?mt=8.  It really helped.  When I did this 6 years ago I had to use a stopwatch and remember how many repetitions I did.  That made me focus on too much on how much I had to do and not relax at all.  I find that the only way I like to run is when I can space out a bit.  I also decided to include the songs on my playlist that I never get to hear... meaning no kids music for one!

I hadn't really run or exercised in any focused way ever since I got pregnant with DD1.  Before that I used to play tennis for fun and run because I found it was the most efficient way to keep my weight under control.  I never really loved running but I loved the pride of having gone for a run. 

As for gear, I use a serious reward system for myself.  Once I've completed week 2, I can go buy some new piece of gear for myself.  It will probably be fancy shorts as I have a serious chub rub tendency! 

Glad to have some company...  I'll make a list of us at the top. 

#9 of 90 Old 03-29-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Oh and I found day 2 much harder than day 1. I'm a little scared of tomorrow!

#10 of 90 Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 AM

I am rewarding myself with a double jogging stroller if I complete all 8 weeks in 8 weeks. If I know I can run 3 miles, I can justify getting a stroller for both kids and going. About three miles away there is a track where I could take DD to play on the playground and then strap her in the jogging stroller with DS and run around the track. Its a 1/2 mile track, so 9 circles would be three miles. That has to be better on my ankles than running through grass that needs to be mowed.

SIDS happens. 

#11 of 90 Old 03-31-2012, 02:03 PM

I just finished my first week! I'll be starting week 2 tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk

#12 of 90 Old 03-31-2012, 04:48 PM

Awesome! Good job, I hope to be there on Monday smile.gif

SIDS happens. 

#13 of 90 Old 04-01-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome, Dantesmama!

I finished Week 1 today! 

It was really hard getting time on the weekend so I'm going to try and stick with a M/W/F schedule.  So I'm starting Week 2 tomorrow.

I also really need an armband for my IPOD.  Any suggestions?

#14 of 90 Old 04-01-2012, 07:18 PM

Thanks! I'm surprised that my body adapted so quickly. The first day I was pretty sure I was going to die, but yesterday I even added a few extra running intervals after I had technically finished. I didn't start week 2 today, though, because it was alternately raining and hailing all day.

Parsley, great job! I don't have an armband, but I use this to hold my phone and car key while I run. I love it so far - you can't even tell I'm wearing it.

#15 of 90 Old 04-01-2012, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm in! I was thinking about starting this next week or the week after then decided what am I waiting for? I claimed I was giving myself time to get used to walking on the treadmill (I get my workouts in at a gym with childcare) but really my body is 100% capable of walking for 30 minutes. So tomorrow will be W1D1 for me.

I am thinking of actually running a 5K to have the satisfaction of proving to myself that I can do this. June 3rd (which would be cutting it close) there is a 5K in my town and July 4th there is one in the next town over. I'm going to give myself till the end of April and then sign up for one (the June one has early registration through the 30th).

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#16 of 90 Old 04-02-2012, 08:59 AM

W1D1 done! One of the links I came across while looking at the program said to jog as slow as possible. I did that and I think that made a difference. It was a speed at which I probably could have walked if I had preferred but I did the 30 minutes and then tacked on some extra walking time at the end to burn some extra calories. Feeling great now!

ribbonpb.gif
#17 of 90 Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Congrats on starting, AllisonRose.  I think that knowing you can jog as slowly as you need to is key for making it work.  Years ago a phys ed teacher friend reminded me that instead of stopping I could always slow down; somehow it was a revelation!  And totally the key to any athletic success I've ever had :)

W2D1 done today.  I was poised to do another running interval and then the "trainer" said it was time for a cool down! I take that as a good sign.

#18 of 90 Old 04-03-2012, 07:04 AM

AllisonRose, yay for starting! Everything I've read about running emphasizes going slow at first. Once you build up the endurance, you can start working on speed.

Parsley, great job starting week 2! I haven't managed to do w2d1 yet between the weather and sick kids. I'd like to squeeze it in tonight if it's not too dark after the kids' swimming lessons.

#19 of 90 Old 04-03-2012, 08:20 AM

w2d1 is tomorrow. Im glad to start running a little more. That third day, it was pretty easy for me and I actually was running through some of my cool down time.

SIDS happens. 

#20 of 90 Old 04-03-2012, 09:51 AM

Feeling good today. I was telling my hubby last night about starting the program and having a good workout. He told me to let him know when I can run a mile and a half straight because then he will have to start working out again because he "has always been a better runner than" me. Later on I thought I should have pointed out that I have always been able to beat him in a sprint.

But it gives me another reason to continue if his pride will push him to get into better shape.

ribbonpb.gif
#21 of 90 Old 04-03-2012, 04:32 PM

Thinking about joining too. But I will have to do the program with a baby in the jogging stroller.
#22 of 90 Old 04-03-2012, 07:12 PM

Officially started week 2 today! My 4yo was driving me up the wall all day so it felt great to get out by myself and run away from it all.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk

#23 of 90 Old 04-05-2012, 03:03 PM

W1d2 done today. Still feeling good.

I had been considering the thought of a double jogging stroller and today a local mom on a group I am a part of posting about selling hers. I am not sure about getting one and have not even brought it up to my hubby yet.

ribbonpb.gif
#24 of 90 Old 04-09-2012, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

I have been stuck at w2d2 for 4 days now...  I'm trying really hard to get myself out the door to go and finish week 2.  How can my motivation be so elusive?

How's everyone else doing?

ETA:  OK.  Got off my butt, gave DD2 to hold in a wrap and went for it!  Week 2 complete!!!!!!!

#25 of 90 Old 04-09-2012, 01:37 PM

I haven't finished week 2. I had a bad cold for a few days, and I'm still coughing a lot. I might try to get out for a run after dh gets home from work, but that depends on how he's feeling (he was sick too). I'm hoping he won't mind as long as I set the kids up with snacks and a movie before I head out.

#26 of 90 Old 04-10-2012, 06:33 AM

I did complete week 1 over the weekend. Planned to start week 2 today but that has been postponed due to exhaustion. Tomorrow.

ribbonpb.gif
#27 of 90 Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 AM

I'd like to join in.  I just started the program 1.5 weeks ago.  I think I am on week 2, day 2 and supposed to go tonight, which I will do as long as it is not pouring rain/snowing which it's been doing all day.  A friend and I have a goal of doing a 5km race in early June.  So far it has been going well, although I always hit the massive uphill on my route when it's time to run eyesroll.gif.  I'm hoping that by starting slowly I keep my one bad knee from acting up.  I tried a free podcast couch to 5k before but did not like the music so now I'm borrowing my ds's ipod touch, bought an app for $1.99 and can listen to any podcast or music I want while running.  Makes a big difference. 

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#28 of 90 Old 04-12-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

I started Week 3 yesterday.  I felt really proud of myself for running the 3 mins straight.  I'm kind of sore today though... I ended up adding an extra hill and I think that did me in. 

I bought an armband to hold my ipod and I thought it would help... instead it totally messed up the app and I didn't get my alerts at the right time so I had to hold the ipod and the armband (though I just realized I could have worn the armband empty duh.gif ).  I think I'm going to look into that pouch that Dantesmama suggested. 

So I live in the NE and the weather has been cool the whole time I've been doing this c25k.  Next week we're going on vacation to Florida.  I'm really worried about how to keep up with my motivation.  It's hard to imagine getting up extra early to go running but also really hard to imagine running in 80 degree weather (I hate being sweaty!)  Wish me luck!

#29 of 90 Old 04-14-2012, 08:47 AM

I did w3d1 yesterday (Friday) and wow, that first 3-minute run was a looong 3 minutes! I've noticed that towards the end of my run I finally hit my "groove" and after that point, running is much easier. I've been adding a couple of extra running intervals to the end of my workouts too.

Parsley, I'm still very happy with my spibelt! If you decide to get one, check out their clearance page. I got one of the water-resistant ones for $13 with free shipping, on clearance. Good luck running in FL! I'm also wondering how my running will hold up once the heat and humidity get here. The thought of running when it's 90* with 85% humidity is... well, it's not an attractive prospect.

#30 of 90 Old 04-15-2012, 02:19 PM

I finished week 2 today. I struggled a bit in the early part of the week - I think a big part of that was that I donated blood between weeks and it wiped me out more than I anticipated. Today I felt good. W3d1 will probably still kick my butt though.

ribbonpb.gif

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page