Dingoes springing into April - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 331 Old 04-27-2012, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sparkle, change is hard even when it's good change. I'm so happy for you these are all great movements in your life but nevertheless it's exactly as you say...a scratchy outfit you know looks great but still doesn't fit right. You'll be ok and once the transitions are done and you have a few minutes to breathe, you'll be able to de-stress. Moving sucks, even when it's a great move. 

Nice 6 miles for me this morning. Otherwise, feeling totally stressed. Sigh.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#302 of 331 Old 04-27-2012, 10:18 AM

sparkle ~ WOW!  Now THAT is how to sell a house!  I'm amazed (after mine took 60+ showings over 6 months to sell at $15,000 under asking price...)!

DrJen~ awesome 1/2 marathon!  You are amazing!  Full-time doctor, Mama-extrordinaire, and a super-fast half-marathon PR!

Shanti ~ thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers grouphug.gif.

RR ~ Pilates this morning.  It's good stuff, I tell ya.

NRR ~ PTO Spring Fling today, in spite of chilly temps, a threat of showers and 20 mph winds.  Not looking forward to it.  At all.  But my bake sale items are done (no batter tasting!), cake walk cake is frosted, and my Spirit Wear sale sign is created.  All that remains is shuttling the stuff to school, and taking a shower.  I will be so glad when this event is over.  Spring Fling is the kind of event I'd avoid if I wasn't on PTO ~ the crowds, the noise, the crappy food choices, the lines.  So NOT my thing.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#303 of 331 Old 04-27-2012, 01:13 PM

sparkle, what a whirl wind, my goodness!  No wonder your head is spinning!!  Once the dust settles and the ink dries you'll be able to breathe. 

RR: none for today as I've done four days in a row work outs.  Did get my body fat tested at the gym by a trainer and calipers to be the most accurate.  Pleased as punch with the results.  Much lower than the silly scale thing always read.  It never budged yet I saw change so I knew something was amiss. 

NRR: I think I finished placement testing for ds1.  After months of looking, then praying, then taking a break, then starting the cycle over again, I've settled on a curriculum for us to use for 7th grade. Phew!  Now just to purchase!!    My son has been helping in childcare for the women's group I  co-lead and yesterday the co-lead and I held a thank you lunch for the leaders and childcare workers.  I was talking outside of the room where it was being held to a friend, and I gave my son the option of going in alone and sitting down to wait or waiting here with me so we could go in together.  He.went. on. his. own.!!!!  I think that is the FIRST time he has done that.  He was always too self conscious, scared, anxious, etc to do anything like that.  So awesome!!

Bec~what day for dinner?  I'd love to meet you!  Did your friends sell their bibs?

#304 of 331 Old 04-27-2012, 06:51 PM

Sparkle~Holy cow, sister! That's amazing, and FAST! I completely understand how you feel, as I hate change with a passion. You'll adjust faster than you realize, and all will be fabulous in your awesome new house!

drjen~wave.gif I miss you! And awesome race! I am so, so jealous that you not only beat 2 hours, but you KILLED it!

I haven't checked in for a few days...it's been a crazy week. Monday wasn't so bad, but we had new grad class on Tuesday morning and then walked into the middle of a shift. I took over my preceptors three couplets, which is not so fun in the middle of a shift. Two were pretty normal, although one said she wanted to breastfeed, but then kept calling to ask for formula. rolleyes.gif The third couplet was a mess. Well, actually just the mom. She was a former preemie herself who seemed pretty normal at first glance, but clearly was not all there once you spent a little time with her. She was over 24 hours out from her c-section and it took two of us and over 20 minutes to get her into the bathroom. Sigh. She was actually breastfeeding like a champ, and then her mom showed up and kept insisting that baby needed to supplement (for a wide variety of reasons). She was a joy. I was thrilled not to have her back on Wednesday, especially when she kept pulling the emergency call light in the bathroom for things like help with her pericare and because she wanted to take a shower. Oh, and it turned out that she was cheeking all of her pills and tossing them on the floor because she doesn't like to take pills. Yeah. So, I was excited not to have HER back on Wednesday, but my assignment turned out to be just as crazy. I had a post-surgical GYN patient with stage 4 cancer who had an NG tube (down her nose to her stomach), drains, catheters, all kinds of stuff that I haven't had to deal with in a very long time. I also had a post-c-section mom whose baby was in the NICU, and another couplet. All four of my patients (including the baby!) needed blood sugar checks, two were on insulin, the couplet was having major breastfeeding issues...dizzy.gif I have never been so happy to go home! It wasn't a BAD week, just super busy and exhausting.

And on top of that, I have some sinus crud going on. So instead of getting my run in yesterday, I took a two hour nap. Twice. bag.gif Sheesh. This 10 mile race on Sunday is going to suuuuuck.

So, I finally got the wheels rolling on refinancing my condo (I'm required to refinance to get XH off the mortgage by June) and now I have a big decision to make. I can do a 30 year fixed at 4.25 percent and take about $20 off what I pay now (including paying off my sizeable home equity line). OR I can do a 15 year fixed at 3.3 percent and pay about $300 more than I currently am. I love the idea of the 15 year, but it makes me nervous to up my payment that much, since I'm not paying on my student loans right now. I know that I could always do the 30 year and just prepay on it, but I honestly don't think I'm that disciplined. Anyone got any thoughts?

rr~A big fat nada all week until today. Today, 1000 yds in the pool and spin/pilates class after. At least it was something, since tomorrow I'm doing the March of Dimes March for Babies with DS and so walking 5k will be it before the 10 miler on Sunday...

Hey, mel...can you add me to the Bolder Boulder with real? Thanks! orngbiggrin.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#305 of 331 Old 04-27-2012, 08:30 PM

Gaye - cant you just pre-schedule the extra payments, so you dont have to do anything, they charge you thirteen times a year (ie, no discipline required)?

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#306 of 331 Old 04-27-2012, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post
MelW - Dh and I are currently watching Ultraviolet; hellllo Idris lol.gif

lol.gif  Good luck with all of the stress of moving. Even with the move being a good thing, it's still uber-stressful! I hope you can fit in some exercise for your mental health.

real, good luck with the revisions!

gaye, those sound like crazy shifts!! Enjoy your 10-miler this weekend. Don't you do best with less training?

DrJen, amazing half! So inspiring!

RM, I'm glad things are going well with your son.

jo, enjoy the dunes.

JayGee, I hope the Spring Fling went well. It sounds like a lot of work- congrats on the strength to not sample the treats!

RR- Bootcamp tonight was very running focused- lots of sprint intervals, lunges, etc. It felt good. I even had a bath this evening after the workout, my first bath in many months. I'm a dedicated shower-er because of speed. AF arrived this evening, so I needed to relax (and also feel relieved that part of the reason I've been wanting to run away all afternoon was hormonal)

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#307 of 331 Old 04-28-2012, 06:58 PM

The sinus crud I've been fighting all week is now settling into my lungs, just in time for tomorrow's 10 mile "race". Blargh. rolleyes.gif

rr~DS and I did the March of Dimes March for Babies. That was the hardest 5k I've ever walked! bag.gif Ok, so I spent about 1/4 mile of it toting an almost 6 year old on my back, but still...DS actually did awesome. He walked probably about 2.5 miles of it, with only minor whining. orngbiggrin.gif I was pretty proud of him, since we haven't been doing any kind of training or anything!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#308 of 331 Old 04-28-2012, 09:21 PM

Sparkle - Congrats!  That is amazing house selling mojo!  Now just pass it on the DrJen and Mommajb! 

DrJen - Great race! 

Gaye - Good luck with your tomorrow!

RM - That's a real milestone for your ds, all thanks to his amazing mama!

We've been plugging away on our arches, we're at the plastering point now and it looks good but somehow more like a construction zone than before.  Ali G went off on a playdate today at 11:00, the mom said she'd just bring her home when they got tired of playing, she came home at 7:30 and is now packing her things because she's determined to move in with her "new sister and new mommy".  She had a really great time I guess.  eyesroll.gif But poor C burst into tears when Ali G was telling us how she'd still come visit us on weekends, sometimes.  I guess she thinks that a 4 year old can really just decide to move out if she feels like it.  Oy.

dizzy.gif

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#309 of 331 Old 04-28-2012, 11:42 PM

So, Gaye, did you decide about the 30 or 15? Do you have a 20-year option? We've historically pushed ourselves and always chose the 15 if it was within the realm of possibility. Hence my tendency to remain miserly, even now when we don't have a mortgage. So, while it is definitely a way to get ahead, it is also a way to become a lot tighter with money, in ways that I know have made me a lot less fun sometimes. But also considering that your student loans will kick in, I'd say do the 30, take sparkle's advice and pre-schedule payments or set up biweekly autopay if that's an option, because then you'll automatically make an extra payment annually, and it does make a difference. Good luck either way.

The dune-bashing day was nice. Dune-bashing itself is not fun for me, since I do get carsick, and I had to switch with dd to avoid her barfing, so I ended up in the way back of a Toyota Landcruiser, and our driver was the trip supervisor, so we took up the rear and he was sort of showing how it was done. I ended up blowing my Whole 30 by having a DC on arrival at camp, just to keep from throwing up. eyesroll.gif But we made a stop at a camel farm where I promptly fell in love with some camels. I could have spent the whole afternoon petting camels, really. But then there was dinner and the trip back, and then the hour and a half drive back from Abu Dhabi, so all in all a long day. If the DC was the one slip I had all month, and I got right back on the horse once the nausea abated, then I am OK with it.

And I also have continued to be really good with daily movement. Not overdoing anything, because especially now, I don't want injuries. So I walked my 8ish miles on the beach this morning, and I am going to try some new strength exercises now back here in the AC. And probably do some breast stroke this afternoon with kids in the pool. They have been swimming daily and ds is already looking a lot straighter, stronger and overall better. I feel like that was a close one.

And I guess now it really is time to get my butt in gear and start going through all the crap that needs to be done. Four weeks. yikes2.gif

#310 of 331 Old 04-29-2012, 05:53 AM

I know I've been all about me lately, and I swear that will change, but until then ... lol.gif

Talked to the mom of DD1's friend A (from school and climbing team) yesterday at a climbing comp. She had asked me if it was alright for her to request of the principal that my DD1 and A be put in the same class next year, and if so, if I would I also make the request. So she described a conversation she had w/ the principal about it, in which they discussed the general unhappiness with the class this year, and not only did the principal already know, but she said it's not just that class, there are several third years (aka 3rd graders) who also have not been challenged enough and it is unacceptable to her and next year, when she (principal) is academic coach she will make sure that the teachers are challenging the top kids clap.gif (the current academic coach, whom I love, is going back into the classroom due to budget cuts). She expects the school to have the reputation as academically rigorous, so she is on a mission. I really love the principal, so that made me feel totally relieved. She also said that the girls are scheduled for GT testing the first week of June, so not at the end of the summer as I thought, so, whew, I can slide that preoccupation off my plate.

As for house selling mojo, I *knew* this would happen, honestly. It's a great starter home with really good juju. We felt the same way about it when we walked in, and had a little bidding war with another couple. It's got great light, and a great lush private yard, and just a great feel. And the neighborhood (near the university) is desirable, and its a starter home, so the price will always be low. Add to that, I seem to have good design taste as people really gushed about how it looked. The people who bought it said "we love your style!", which makes me laugh, b/c I literally didnt understand what style was until about 2 years ago, but then I started paying attention to what I like and created one shrug.gif I am grieving saying good-bye.

Gaye - those days at work sound grueling. I hope the refinance goes smoothly

JG - glad PTO was a success. I hope the hamstring *just goes away* winky.gif

RR: still having trouble sleeping. Waking anywhere from 3 to 5 am for the day. Im very tired, but then it happens again. I *know* exercise would help, so I *plan* to go tomorrow, but its hard to get motivated when Im so tired.

NRR; on a final note, is it very wrong of me that I have a crush on my Dd1's 26 year old coach drool.giflol.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#311 of 331 Old 04-29-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post
NRR; on a final note, is it very wrong of me that I have a crush on my Dd1's 26 year old coach drool.giflol.gif

No, but what is wrong is that every time I'm in the midst of a really good dream, my dream self stops herself from following the dream storyline right when it's getting good. angry.gif And then I can't get back to sleep.

Jo - Sorry about the DC but I agree that it was purely for medicinal purposes.  And I'm feeling that love for our donkey, she is just so sweet!  I've never had a grazer before but I'm really loving her. 

Gaye - Meant to add my .02 on the mortgage thing, I'd also go for the 30 year, add a payment and allow myself a bit more cushion rather than having to scrimp so hard - especially once the student loans start requiring repayment.  How are you feeling today?  Hope you're off and running happily.

Oy, so at 6:30 when I started this I thought I'd have a nice quiet coffee in my pjs and catch up with my Dingos this morning, but everyone else woke up at the regular time too and we got right back into drywalling and trying to convince Ali G that even though she was packed to move she actually has to continue living with us for a while longer.  So, off this goes and I'll get back to work!

#312 of 331 Old 04-29-2012, 11:50 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post

NRR: I think I finished placement testing for ds1.  After months of looking, then praying, then taking a break, then starting the cycle over again, I've settled on a curriculum for us to use for 7th grade. Phew!  Now just to purchase!!    My son has been helping in childcare for the women's group I  co-lead and yesterday the co-lead and I held a thank you lunch for the leaders and childcare workers.  I was talking outside of the room where it was being held to a friend, and I gave my son the option of going in alone and sitting down to wait or waiting here with me so we could go in together.  He.went. on. his. own.!!!!  I think that is the FIRST time he has done that.  He was always too self conscious, scared, anxious, etc to do anything like that.  So awesome!!

Bec~what day for dinner?  I'd love to meet you!  Did your friends sell their bibs?

Ok, so, I'm totally dancing for your son!!!!  Looks like homeschooling has done wonderous wonders for him!!!  Hurray!  It's about time he caught a break.

I am coming down Friday, will be there mid-dayish.  So, that evening would be good.  I am staying in the same place as last year.  I don't think my friend doing the 5k has sold her bib (how would she go about doing that?).  My other friend was going to bandit the half (shhhh, don't tell), so no bib to sell.  I'm going to be heading home after the race.  So, how about if I text you when I get down and checked into the hotel, and you can decide if you want to go to the expo with me or not, and we will take it from there.

RR: Does paddle boating count?  I took my Jr. girl scouts to camp yesterday.  So, we walked all over the woods in the cold and rain.  They all had a blast, but now I am soooooo tired!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#313 of 331 Old 04-29-2012, 12:44 PM

sparkle ~ no shame there winky.gif

RM ~ so glad your DS is doing so well with homeschooling! 

bec ~ good luck in the Mini next weekend.  Wish I was running!

Gaye ~ I'd go with the 30 year and add a payment.  That's a lot extra per month with your loan payments coming due.

Plady ~ the arch looks amazing!  So funny about Ali G wanting to move in with her friend!

RR ~ no actual exercise, per se, but I shoveled rock for two hours yesterday.  We're replacing the mulch that keeps flowing away with every rainstorm with rock.  Looks good!

NRR ~ DD1's best friend and her brother, who is friends with DS, spent the night last night.  Five kids is too much.  I'm fried.  Spring Fling was a success on Friday.  I got the 2 bigger kids registered for summer swim team yesterday morning.  We got hit with HUGE hail yesterday afternoon.  Seriously, 3" frozen discs of hail.  Of course, it happened about 1/2 hour after I finished planting my vegetable garden.  Many plants were destroyed.  Argh.  Now, to attack Mt. Laundry.

#314 of 331 Old 04-29-2012, 11:41 PM

sparkle--glad you are having 1st world problems of the good kind. wink1.gif If it makes you feel better, I was whining through one of the harder parts of today's 20-miler when I told myself to suck it up because the tribulations of marathon training are such a first-world problem....

JayGee--glad it's over! Hopefully this week gives you a break? But ugh about the hail!

RM--that's good news about your son, and about getting everything lined up for next year.

tjsmama--I would take the 30-year at 4.25%. IMHO, you can always pay more on your mortgage and pay it off sooner, but it's nice to have the lower payment when things get tight. Do you currently do a 13th payment? That's the easiest way--pick a month of the year and double your payment. Nice job on the Sneak and hope work is a lot calmer this week!

MelW--I'm impressed that you handle bootcamp and AF. I don't think i could do both, but then again, maybe bootcamp isn't quite as miserable as it sounds? It sounds really hardcore (I"m sure that's the point).

1jooj--camels! Awesome.

Plady--sorry to hear the little one wants to move out, though it's pretty amusing from this end. I could totally see J doing that at some point.

RR: 5 miles on Saturday and 20 miles on Sunday. Proud of the 20 because (1) it was the first 20-mile training run I've ever done successfully (my 2006 attempt ended at 18 miles due to exhaustion), and (2) because it was in the mountains, at 8500 ft, and included more than 1000 feet of elevation gain. It was rolling uphills* all the way along Lake Granby and Shadow Mtn Lake into Rocky Mtn National Park, and rolling downhills* on the way back. Interestingly, the rolling uphills feel much easier to run than they did when I biked them last summer, but the rolling downhills felt much harder to run than when I biked them last summer. Paul and the girls met me at mile 7 (he'd stopped at the hardware store in Grand Lake but it was closed), which was awesome because I'd planned a potty stop at the Grand Lake Visitor Center but it also was closed. The RMNP visitor center was only a couple of miles north and we were planning to all meet up there, so I just jumped in the car instead. That also meant I got to run a little further into the park, which was all kinds of awesome.

*It's basically an uphill climb into the RMNP--with rolling hills, and thus, basically downhill on the way back, with the same set of rolling hills. Thus, new terminology.

NRR: it was a weekend of plumbing problems. First, we discovered our sewer line at home was backing up into the house. I'd noticed water in the laundry room on Thursday, but thought maybe the washer hadn't been pleased that I'd used a little extra soap. By the time I noticed it the water had all gone down the drain anyhow, so all I knew was that the floor had been wet. On Friday, Paul went down after my shower and there was standing water. At first we thought the seal on the downstairs toilet had broken, so while he was turning off the water to that toilet, I flushed the upstairs toilet--and water came up from the downstairs toilet and shower and drain in the laundry room. Ah, the sewer line. Fabulous.

So we called a plumber and happily, he was able to come out within a couple of hours and get everything functional again. The car had been mostly packed when we noticed the problem, so we decided to just head up to the mountains anyhow, and if worst came to worst we could stay in a motel. We got up to Granby around 6, got the heat turned on, and discovered that we couldn't get the water working there either, at all.

The plumbing is set up with the option for "winter water" (functional toilet in the main bathroom + a water spigot right next to the toilet, and yes, it looks just like a garden hose) or normal plumbing where water comes out of sinks and showers and such. Usually we can get the winter water running if all else fails so at least we can flush the toilet and put water in a bucket for washing hands and faces. It wouldn't even do that though, and Paul wasn't really sure why. So he headed down to the neighbor's house to ask for a couple of buckets of water and we figured we'd just make do. It's kind of like camping, except with beds and heat and a toilet system that isn't quite as good as a flush toilet but still beats digging a whole (Paul and I used to go backcountry camping, and all I have to say about holes is that they should be dug as soon as one picks a campsite, thus saving valuable time later...). We did it a few years ago when there was a break in the main water line that also affected winter water, so it's not a big deal.

Saturday morning the pump guy came and pointed out that we could in fact get water out of the outdoor well thingy (yay! we can fill our own buckets!), and he thought the pipe that ran into the main line was frozen. So we put a space heater under the trailer (his suggestion) and kept trying to run it every few hours. Nothing had changed a few hours later so we decided to call the plumber anyhow. The frozen pipe thing didn't make sense given that it wasn't an unusually cold winter, it's been a much warmer spring than usual, and we've never had problems with that pipe--not even the time we came up in January. The plumber also thought it was frozen, but he had the brilliant idea to run a hose from the outdoor well thingy into the bathroom spigot (the one that water comes out of on the winter water system) because from there it would flow into the main line (and the water heater!) and we'd have functional water in the trailer. It meant stuffing a bunch of towels in the door because we couldn't close it with the hose in it, but hey, we had (hot and cold!) water.

My dad thinks the reason the pipe froze is that usually Granby gets a bunch of snow and that would insulate the area with the pipe. Because they didn't get as much snow and it melted much sooner (snowpack in late April is what it currently is in early June), the pipe was "exposed" more. In theory, it shouldn't have had any water in it when we blew out the pipes, but that's a different issue. We weren't able to get it unfrozen while we were there, but we'll be back up in a few weeks and either it will be thawed and work, or we'll do the hose trick again. It probably means Paul will be keyed up for a few more weeks (not knowing whether the plumbing there is functional makes him a bit of a basket case), but we had a nice weekend anyhow.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#315 of 331 Old 04-30-2012, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I think plumbing stories scare me the most. We have only had a couple of problems over the years but water stuff freaks me out for some reason. I am glad everything is okay!

I have dd home sick again. I am counting the minutes until our doctor's office opens and then I will begin the marathon of dialing and dialing again until I get through. She has severe stomach pain that can't be explained by any of the usual harmless suspects and has looked grey for a few days. No fever but she looks awful - and even when she was at her sickest with shingles and strep she kept her hair looking nice and she can't even be bothered with that. They should add that to the symptoms-to-worry-about for 14 year old girls! dh just left with the car for a few days so I am going to have to figure out a ride to get us to and from the doctor. I hate asking for rides and help from neighbours but I am going to have to get her seen somehow and even when he gets home, dh needs the car every day this week.

Having her home means no walk for me today. I was looking forward to it but now it is drizzling and 3*C outside so not the nicest weather for a walk along the shore anyway. Maybe tomorrow.

Does anyone have a magic cure for refrigerators that randomly freeze everything inside? I just had to throw out a bunch of vegetables that were flash frozen and now wilted beyond recognition. Replacing the fridge would be ideal but is not an option. I normally wash the veggies as soon as I get them home and store them in bags that keep them fresh longer - but that doesn't help when everything gets frozen. Any tips?

#316 of 331 Old 04-30-2012, 10:02 AM

Hi guys! wave.gif

Just popping in to say hello. I have only skimmed the last 2 pages and need to re-read those - but I wanted to post before the end of the month. Yikes, that's today!!

Congrats DoctorJen on an awesome race and PR, and a big Woohooo!

Shanti, I hope that your DD is feeling better and that you had no trouble getting her seen today.

Gaye, am I missing some of your race results? Did you go with the 15 or 30? I liked the suggestion to do 30 and add in an extra payment each year, or an extra 100$ per month.

Quick weekend trip to Kentucky with DD2 for one day of a 3-day event (dressage, cross-country and jumping in the ring). We saw the cross-country part, and it was amazing! So exciting. Many Olympians, so I am looking forward to the equestrian events in London this year, since I will finally be able to recognize a few names.

Plus, it was just great to spend time alone with DD2 who is 10 and growing up so quickly. This year has been a big one for her, with lots of changes, and I sense impending puberty greensad.gif.

So, why does that make me sad? I recall that my parents made a (sort of) big deal of puberty and growing up, and I had the impression that they weren't thrilled about it (what parent is, I suppose?) and it meant that I was no longer a perfect child but an imperfect growing adult. I hereby resolve to make her feel that I am welcoming this transition. Even though I am still sad about it.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#317 of 331 Old 04-30-2012, 02:20 PM

drive by.

shanti:  my fridge freezes anything touching the back of it. Stuff like celery needs to be placed cross wise so that it doesn't touch that back wall.

and I know I missed bunches, but thought I would add my important information.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#318 of 331 Old 04-30-2012, 05:51 PM

Just another pop in before the end of the month.  I will be doing a tri this summer... Just need to decide which one(s).  biggrinbounce.gif   The choices, for those curious:

1. Penny's Pieathlon - http://pieathlon.org/  date is 5/19. swim 400 yds (pool), bike 12.2 mi, run 5K

2. Copper Creek Tri - http://www.coppercreektri.com/ on 6/24. swim 750m (lake), bike 20K, run 5K

3. Iowa Games Tri - http://www.iowagames.org/Sports/SummerGames/Triathlon.aspx on 7/8. swim 1/4 mile (open water), bike 13 miles, run 5K.

I'm almost done with my spring semester - just need to finish grading finals (tonight) and submitting grades (tomorrow). 

RR: I'm slowly picking up speed and endurance.  I can go for what feels like forever at 4.5 - 5 mph, any faster and I'm puffing in less than 10 minutes.  But I can go faster for short sprints... Need to get my mental component in line, I think.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#319 of 331 Old 04-30-2012, 07:10 PM
bec

DM - I think, for me, choosing which tri (is this your first?) would really depend on the swim.  Are you comfortable with the swim?  Are you comfortable with a lake or open water?  For me, switching to a lake was a big deal (it just seemed more intimidating for some reason).  Once I did it a couple of times, I was fine.  I'm facing an open water swim for the half ironman, and it kind of has me freaked (but, I'm sure it will be fine once I get going).  Another thing I would look at is hills on the run.  I really suffered with the hills on my olympic distance last summer because I was really not prepared for them (mentally or physically).

RR: speaking of, tri class was tonight.  Swam a mile and then we did a 30 minute spin.  It went better than I thought it would!

#320 of 331 Old 04-30-2012, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

sparkle, no shame at all. Especially not if you link us up with some photos lol.gifSheepish.gif

Shanti, I hope your daughter is doing okay.

Dimitizmom, good luck with the tri(s). They all sound like nice distances.

Mel, I really appreciate your reflection on not showing your sadness or unwelcoming of puberty. I felt like it was welcomed in my (younger) sisters, but my breast buds at 10 precipitated stopping eating chicken for a couple of years because my mum was worried about the impact of the hormones on my body. Now that I have a six year old with breast buds and similar stress/anxiety about it I am reminded by my husband to be open and welcoming and not make a big deal about it. I have no problem talking about puberty, but I think it's a bit normal to freak out that it's happening to my SIX year old!! Deep breaths...

real, awesome 20 miler. And on surviving the marathon plumbing weekend. My AF is generally not that bad, and I usually find that a good workout can stave off cramps and misery.

NRR- Speaking of misery, my husband's return has unleashed a flood of stress and angst about our relationship me. We stayed up until 2:30 on Saturday night having an intense "state of the union" conversation where I said a lot of things that I'm not sure I had even admitted to myself before. We have a foundation of a really good friendship and respect and amazing dialogue but I'm having a hard time moving past some of our history. Or deciding if I want to move past it. Or something.

RR- My stress has been good for working hard: a 10ish km run on Sunday, followed by hard work in the yard building raised beds. I also booked a sitter so that we can both try out a trail running group on Thursday, who usually do a one hour run weekly.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#321 of 331 Old 04-30-2012, 09:06 PM

MelW, I think I get what you're feeling. There's so much in our history that I have to consciously decide what to do with. Some days I feel all right and other days I am just feeling all wrong.

Shanti, I have a one-year-old fridge that also freezes some vegetables. Grr. Like kerc, I have to place them carefully away from the back. Eggs too.

Plady, just FYI, I was that dd with the bags always packed. We were on a farm and some days I just disappeared into the fields/marsh for most of the day. I was always wanting to go away. I still feel that way a lot of the time. Maybe part of it is just personality.

Mel38, we have unilateral breast bud action in an 8yo. Dd said it was sore (when she poked at it constantly, which I asked her not to do), and I said I'd take her to a doc in US if it is still bothering her then. It has definitely highlighted that I need to get a lot more positive with both of my kids with regard to their developmental status, and jump into life a lot deeper with them. I feel like that is on hold for the next three weeks, and then watch out, kids. Mom is so all up in your business.

Looked at 4 flats in Abu Dhabi yesterday. Have definitely settled on an area, but will probably store our stuff for the time being, and rent later. Logistically too great a goal to meet in three weeks without ending in tragedy chaos. I've gone through papers and decided what rides along and what can be stored. I guess it's time to start making lists. I hate making lists. Not as much as I hate the disorganized chaos around me, though. There will be a few trips to Ikea when we're back in UAE and moving into a living space. Fo sho.

And with that, off to the beach before the sand heats up too much. The weather has definitely shifted. We have high 90s/low 100s during the day and low to mid 80s at night. And dh hates AC so he TURNS IT OFF OMG and I sweat like a menopausal crone all night. It's really awesome. On the bright side, now that I have discovered a new love of burpees with pushup and vertical jump, I have a new thing to do in the AC. 

#322 of 331 Old 05-01-2012, 04:50 AM

Mel and Jo, yes....on the moving past the history thing. Of course I am still enmeshed in the negative history and so I also have to figure out what to do about that....

Jo, dh also turns off the AC on the hottest nights. It makes me feel murderous, I tell you. I don't mind the heat during the day but when I go to sleep I like it cool. Ugh.

Ethical (sort of) running question: I have planned to run a half marathon in a nearby town on June 3 (a Sunday). I haven't registered yet. It's easy to get to and a flat, fast course and I really would like to PR because the mother's day half is a very hilly course and I don't expect a PR. Yesterday the kids came home with a form for a 5K which is also June 3 that starts next door to my house at the JCC and benefits the local food bank and said everyone at the school is doing it. I feel like a total tool for not wanting to do it and going to my half marathon instead, but there isn't really another local half marathon -- closest is about an hour away and not until July...

I don't know. Maybe I'm being totally selfish? What do you all think?

Many things, and no things to report. Feeling sort of scattered at the moment. It's raining, so I guess I'm hitting the mill for my run today. Don't feel like running in the cold rain. 

Later, mamas. blowkiss.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#323 of 331 Old 05-01-2012, 06:03 AM

Nick, can your DH take them to the 5k? Plenty of notice for him, right? I can't say that I blame you for wanting to go to the HM. Those are harder to find and plan for.

Wow, Jo, such excitement with the upcoming move and your months back in the states. I have a vague memory of dreaming about a desert, and I think it was your dune-bashing and camels that planted that particular thought in my brain.

Oh my gosh, Plady, the running away thing tugs at my heartstrings. Maybe time to read some Tom Sawyer.

MelW, yes, that is so young. Is it more genetic than dietary - I can't recall what the studies have indicated and whether the hormones in our food really do affect development.

DM - Cool! It sounds like you have some great options there. One of them had a bit longer swim, I noticed, but bike and run all looked comparable. You could check past results to see where you think you would rank. I do that just to make sure I won't be dead last. Although I still was once, and it wasn't really so bad. lol.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#324 of 331 Old 05-01-2012, 07:21 AM

Dimitrizmom ~ I agree with bec.  Which triathlon you choose should be based on how comfortable you feel with open water swimming.  If you've never done it before (and honestly, even if you have), it can be very disorienting.  I grew up swimming in a lake and still had a freakout in my first open water swim!

MelW ~ sounds like the early breast buds might be a genetic thing, no?  My 8 yo is still flat as a pancake and I didn't really start developing anything until about age 11.  My Mom was very open and honest with me about puberty (but told me NOTHING about sex, go figure headscratch.gif) and I hope to make my girls' transition from girl to woman as easy and comfortable as possible.  I'm sorry you're feeling angst about your relationship with DH, but talking about it all is good and positive.

Nic ~ I'd want to do the HM, but being a martyr (oops, I mean mother), I'd probably do the 5K.  You SHOULD do the HM and let DH take the kids to the 5K!

Jooj ~ so much excitement!  How many days left in your Whole30?  How are you feeling?

RR ~ Pilates and 1700 yards in the pool yesterday.  Swimming again felt good.  I'm going to run/walk this afternoon when the rain clears out.

NRR ~ School ends 3 weeks from today!  And my parents arrive 3 weeks from tomorrow!  Lots to do....

#325 of 331 Old 05-01-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

Dimitrizmom ~ I agree with bec.  Which triathlon you choose should be based on how comfortable you feel with open water swimming.  If you've never done it before (and honestly, even if you have), it can be very disorienting.  I grew up swimming in a lake and still had a freakout in my first open water swim!

Nic ~ I'd want to do the HM, but being a martyr (oops, I mean mother), I'd probably do the 5K.  You SHOULD do the HM and let DH take the kids to the 5K!

yeahthat.gif To both.  No reason dads shouldn't take children to do 5ks.

We are steadily making progress here but it suddenly feels slow - which is ridiculous since we've lived with nails sticking out of the ceiling and exposed wires for 4 years. But it's already amazing how different the house feels, I can't wait to see how it changes when we've added color!

#326 of 331 Old 05-01-2012, 01:38 PM
bec

Totally get DH to take the kids to the 5k while you do your half! 

Early breast buds - Could it be one of those things where they get the breast buds early, but don't actually develop breasts until the appropriate teenaged time?  I am working hard and taking to heart the conversation about making this transition a positive one.  I want my kids to welcome the changes in their bodies.  It is bittersweet, though, because they really aren't babies anymore.  One thing we have been doing is to tell them loads of baby stories about them.  They eat it up, and it helps for me to see that my baby really isn't gone.  Just becoming their own person!

#327 of 331 Old 05-01-2012, 06:59 PM

Hi ladies!
RR: Had a fun 4.6 mile run while ds1 rode his scooter. He said he loves spending that time with me. Yay!
#328 of 331 Old 05-01-2012, 07:20 PM

nic~Yep, time for DH to step up and take the kids to the 5k.

real~NICE 20 miler!

dimitrizmom~I don't think I could pass up a race called a pieathlon. Just sayin'. Pie rules. orngbiggrin.gif

Two out of three work shifts for the week are done. One night off tonight, then back tomorrow. And of course, DS's field trip to the museum of nature and science is tomorrow, so there will not be much pre-night-shift sleep for me! It's hard to believe that I only have 4 shifts of orientation left. It scares me a little. Ok, a lot. I feel like I did ok the past two nights, and was mostly independent, but when it came crunch time at 6am, I just couldn't get it all done by myself. All three of my babies needed to eat and have vitals checked at the same time, my c-section patient needed walked to the bathroom and her catheter pulled (and her urine output was low, so she needed a fluid bolus), my late-preterm baby needed weighed and a serum bilirubin level drawn...all while trying to make sure I had everything charted and ready to go for end of shift. Of course, I'm relatively sure they won't give me a late preterm baby AND a fresh c-section at the same time when I'm on my own. At least for awhile!

Race report! You all know my low expectations going into the 10 miler. A crappy 9 miler, an ok 8 miler, and a handful of 5-6-7 milers were about it for my training. I was kind of hoping to maybe be able to pull of 10:30 pace, but really just wanted under 11. I was running with my friend, who is a lot faster than me, but hasn't really done any distance running before, so I picked her up and we carpooled in to the race site. We started off around the 10 minute pace group. This was the first year for the 10 mile race, but I've done the 5 mile race a few times, and I really like the course, except that it's super crowded for the first mile until it gets spaced out a little. The 10 miler was no different, and our first mile was 10:37. Ok, that felt pretty good. It cleared out, so we picked it up a little. Did I mention that my friend is faster than me? She pretty much dragged me along for the first 6 miles. Every time my watch beeped, I would look down and see that we were running 10 minute miles. Wow. Ok. There was not a whole lot of conversation going on, on my part! Miles 5-8 were a little hilly and tough, but I was trying to stick with my friend. Around mile 6, she started to pull away, and I just couldn't keep up. But at the same time, my stubborn streak wouldn't let me slow down. I ran that fast for that long, I could keep going, right? I thought I was going to die for the last 2 miles, but I refused to slow down. I had pretty much NO kick left at the end, I was so burned out! BUT...the result? 10:05 pace!!! For 10 miles! Crazy! On very little training, no less! So maybe, if I get my training in gear, a sub-2 half MIGHT possibly still be in the cards this summer. Of course, that involves taking a minute per mile off and adding 5k, but it could maybe happen. My official time was 1:41:39, just a minute and a half over the goal that I thought was so far out of reach that I couldn't even think it out loud orngbiggrin.gif and 3+ minutes under my "reach" goal. Not bad! Not to mention that it was an absolutely GORGEOUS day, perfect for racing. And after the race, we had a lovely lunch and a bloody mary, so between the race and the drink, I had an awesome pre-night-shift nap! orngbiggrin.gif

#329 of 331 Old 05-02-2012, 01:23 AM

Way to go, Gaye! Sounds like it was a great race. orngbiggrin.gif

Mel38, if you liked the dream, and ever wish to head this way, I'll be back in UAE this fall.

bec, I think my dd is just having some of that early development. She grew a LOT this year. Several inches and shoe sizes. And it's been something of an emotional roller coaster, so it's hard to know what has been because of the insanity of our little life and how much might be developmental. But since she's just got something on one side, I've told her we can see a doc in US if she wants, but am really taking a wait-and-see approach. Of course, I also wonder about going from our eating habits on the farm to what goes down here (a lot out of my control), but dd is not big on dairy or meat, so I am not terribly worried. But I will be glad to pull her out of the gaggle of socially precocious second-graders discussing their need to shave their legs, straighten their hair and who knows what else.

JayGee, I think, if I am counting correctly, that today is my last day of Whole 30. And I am weighing in today 14 pounds less than a month ago! thumb.gif With real increases in strength, demonstrated with pushups, planking, even the number of reps I can do. I've improved my flexibility, especially in my back. I had the Diet Coke lapse, but it didn't lead to my going back to Diet Coke. I don't miss dairy, except maybe some very fancy cheese. I don't miss bread or rice or pasta, potatoes, any of it. And I fit back into the pants I had packed into our shipment, which I could not haul up past my hips/butt when we unpacked into this house. My back feels so much better than it has in years.

ETA: I'm also excited that today, I weigh less than my husband!

Unfortunately, the diet has so far had no effect on my breathing trouble, and now that the heat and humidity are kicking in, my hands and feet bother again from time to time. Still, I feel overall really great, I have a lot more stamina just to get through the days than I had on a regular/high-carb diet, and I'm extending this out to our travel date. I made great progress on body fat, but still want to lose at least another 10-15 pounds. I also hope to help my parents consider reducing their carb and dairy intakes a little to see what they can do about some of their health issues. My mom cares about health, but is ultimately motivated by what she can see, and when she sees me a lot smaller than I was, she might listen a little.

RR: Man, it got hot all of a sudden. We're coming in at 106 right now (noontime). That appears to be it. We are now in the 100s for highs and 80s for lows. The End, goodbye. It is time to pack some bags and leave. Anyway, I managed to walk (entirely walking) 8.5 miles this morning. Earlier and earlier, and I will do all I can to keep moving daily.

#330 of 331 Old 05-02-2012, 10:28 AM

Jooj ~ WOW!!!!!  Fourteen pounds down, and so many other improvements!  Nice job!  Sorry it didn't help with the breathing though, but I have a feeling the Wisconsin air will do wonders for that winky.gif.

tjsmama ~ nice race!  Good job keeping up that pace.

RR ~ pilates this morning and heading to the park with the newly downloaded C25K app on my iPod for a walk/run.

NRR ~ A few days into Whole30 and my brain fog is clearing, my energy is rising, and I've got a smile on my face.  Why is it that what I eat (or don't eat) effects my mood so much????  Other people can eat sugar without turning into a colossal depressive, miserable, snappish shrew.... why does it do that to me?  And furthermore, why do I have to keep teaching myself the same lesson over and over again?  Doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome, isn't that the definition of insanity?!

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page