Dingoes springing into April - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 331 Old 04-06-2012, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mel - Thank you for the link! :)  Onto squats and lunges!

Hi Stegenrae!

Today we are dyeing eggs on the homestead.  I'm hoping it's nice enough to hang out clothes on the line and go for a little walk/hike with the family.  V also insists on seeing her Nana today so I'm guessing at some point we will be off to visit.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#62 of 331 Old 04-06-2012, 06:40 AM

Thank you that was very helpful!!

5 miles on the mill this morning.

Cooking has begun...laundry in process. Here we go...

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#63 of 331 Old 04-06-2012, 06:52 AM

Jo please do tell how great you feel orngbiggrin.gif I need to do some cleaning up (internally) in a few weeks. Right now I'm cleaning up a lot of my surroundings rolleyes.gif

Welcome Stegenrae! orngbiggrin.gif - Yeah, my DD1 was a very facile climber from early on. Dh and I both used to climb before kids, so when we saw that I thought "we've got to get her in a structured environment before she hurts herself" Our gym is good sized, but many cities are building nice gyms these days. It's become a family thing - we go once a week, and then she goes another 3-4 lol.gif If your gym has something team-like (ours does have a homeschool p.e. option - and funnily enough, my dd1 is featured on the poster about it, despite not being homeschooled) the coaches are VERY good about emphasizing safety. It is no joke. DD1 has had to pass all kinds of tests to be able to climb at various levels. She just got her lead-belay certification, which is the last step, but her coaches still wont let her do it unless an adult is nearby supervising (lead-climbing is where you clip in as you go, and belaying someone doing that is much more attention-heavy and vital). However, like Bec said, the $ adds up FAST if you are doing it as a sport (example: climbing shoes for my 9 year old: $80)

Nic - goodvibes.gif I hope the run released some of that anxiety and pressure Keep BREATHING

RR: grumble, grumble. None all week. This is the big week of busting out the house, between emptying and painting the whole kitchen Sunday/Monday (and having no kitchen use until Wed.), to the landscaper clearing out my whole yard like it was an abandoned lot lol.gif, to the window crew storming my house yesterday, and now the kids home for Easter .... Hoping to re-start Monday

NRR: Oh my golly but our new windows look good. Those guys were nuts (seriously Plady, at a certain point, experts must be hired lol.gif) - within 45 minutes of coming in my house they had banged out (and I mean knocked the glass out of with a hammer and pulled/peeled the frames from the house) almost all 12 windows! The old ones were metal casement, which means they looked like a tic-tac-toe board with a metal grid. Crash crash crash, and then these awful shrill power tools to cut metal, not to mentioon all the window being open lol.gif I was freezing, but couldnt think of where to go with the dog.

Moreover, Dh had worked all night, so when he got home he went out to the car, which we parked in the street, and slept in it, while I chained the dog in the front yard while I weeded (it will seriously never end, I think I;m making peace with that)

My friend, whose a realtor, says she will post it on the MLS when we are done. All we have left is the kitchen counter and some touch-up painting and cleaning.

Oh, and the new house appraised where we wanted, so now we will ask if we can store some stuff in one of the garages, rather than having to rent a storage locker for a month.... I'm tired

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#64 of 331 Old 04-06-2012, 06:55 AM

MelW - Thanks for that link!  As soon as I'm done here I'm off to pee in the shower! lol.gif

Stegenrae - Welcome and congrats and thanks for the heads up on the anti-anxiety stuff.  I'm off to google (then shower).

Nic - Good luck with the cooking, nice job on getting that run done.

Jo - Yay for Whole30 groove!  I saw that no peanut butter is allowed and thought, "oop! not for me!" but with  instant results like you're seeing I might just find the strength to try it.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#65 of 331 Old 04-06-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

Jo - Yay for Whole30 groove!  I saw that no peanut butter is allowed and thought, "oop! not for me!" but with  instant results like you're seeing I might just find the strength to try it.

No peanut butter jaw.gif Wha!? No, seriously (I dont eat pb), but I do eat nuts, by the pounds per week (not kidding), specifically walnuts and almonds. Are those allowed?

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#66 of 331 Old 04-06-2012, 08:52 AM

Tree nuts, yes. Legumes, no. I am OK as long as I don't open the kids' snack cupboard. ROTFLMAO.gif

OK. How I feel? In touch. I feel in touch. I am tasting things. Dh handed me half a piece of sugarless gum this afternoon and I absentmindedly popped it into my mouth and had to spit it out. (Not just because it's "off-plan," but because it tasted disgustingly fake sweet.)  No desire for Diet Coke. Not intensely hungry, just mildly so when it's about time to get eating. With it. And really really free. Like, as long as a food is totally real, and meat/eggs/fish, vegetable, fruit or tree nut, no need to measure or even really track. Because I feel done at appropriate moments. I feel my body. Hoping for good sleep tonight (too hot last night and we didn't turn on AC), and an early wake tomorrow to go out and do some barefooting on the beach, followed by strength exercises. I just feel like I walked out of a fog.

The nos are big ones: no grains, legumes, dairy or "vegetable" oils. But, how simple is that, kwim?

And the point is really to hit a reset button and then make mindful decisions about what to eat later, based on what causes good things to happen, and not bad.

I'm not supposed to weigh the whole month. I guarantee that is not going to happen.

But bright side, dh seems to get that I am doing this for a month. thumb.gif

My big hope is to kill off the yeast. To make the tinea disappear. Of course I want to move my weight back down toward normal, and I know that if I continue like I am, I will certainly make that progress. But I want to see how much arthritic pain, disc pain, etc. goes away, and see what else happens. This definitely feels bigger than weight loss. I know I sound like a whack evangelist.

#67 of 331 Old 04-06-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

Tree nuts, yes. Legumes, no. I am OK as long as I don't open the kids' snack cupboard. ROTFLMAO.gif

OK. How I feel? In touch. I feel in touch. I am tasting things. Dh handed me half a piece of sugarless gum this afternoon and I absentmindedly popped it into my mouth and had to spit it out. (Not just because it's "off-plan," but because it tasted disgustingly fake sweet.)  No desire for Diet Coke. Not intensely hungry, just mildly so when it's about time to get eating. With it. And really really free. Like, as long as a food is totally real, and meat/eggs/fish, vegetable, fruit or tree nut, no need to measure or even really track. Because I feel done at appropriate moments. I feel my body. Hoping for good sleep tonight (too hot last night and we didn't turn on AC), and an early wake tomorrow to go out and do some barefooting on the beach, followed by strength exercises. I just feel like I walked out of a fog.

The nos are big ones: no grains, legumes, dairy or "vegetable" oils. But, how simple is that, kwim?

And the point is really to hit a reset button and then make mindful decisions about what to eat later, based on what causes good things to happen, and not bad.

I'm not supposed to weigh the whole month. I guarantee that is not going to happen.

But bright side, dh seems to get that I am doing this for a month. thumb.gif

My big hope is to kill off the yeast. To make the tinea disappear. Of course I want to move my weight back down toward normal, and I know that if I continue like I am, I will certainly make that progress. But I want to see how much arthritic pain, disc pain, etc. goes away, and see what else happens. This definitely feels bigger than weight loss. I know I sound like a whack evangelist.

No PB?  I live on that stuff!  But the fog and the food fight can go... and my addiction to sugar.  Evangelist or not, I want in!

#68 of 331 Old 04-06-2012, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Help me understand the no legumes part. I would find the no dairy part hard but I can understand it. My morning chai latte is my ultimate comfort food so giving it up would be hard but I would do it for a month. But legumes? Why? And how would you afford to do this for a month on a really tight budget? I am intrigued but not sure I am in the right space to try something like that now. I am doing no grains except for occasional small servings of quinoa and the rest whole foods - plus diet coke, just because. I could be doing worse than diet coke. I would like to do much better but don't think this is the best timing. Maybe you can convince me otherwise!

Planning a 5 km walk this afternoon and really looking forward to it.

#69 of 331 Old 04-06-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post

No PB?  I live on that stuff!  But the fog and the food fight can go... and my addiction to sugar.  Evangelist or not, I want in!

almond butter is a tree nut.....
Sunbutter also not as good as b, but a nice alternative. Dunno if you can each sunflower seeds....

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#70 of 331 Old 04-06-2012, 11:48 AM

Jeffi, I'm with you on the legumes thing. I can't afford to do meat/fish so frequently. We eat beans or some variety of legumes at least four times a week and it is a huge help in our budget.

Stick a fork in me. I'm done. The only problem is, I'm not done. Still some more cooking, laundry folding, making up the beds, and if I am very ambitious (probably not!) mop down the floor as it's pretty yucky now from a day of cooking.

Kids are outside though. They were driving me bonkers and getting too screen-happy. They'll be off screens for the next few days due to the holiday anyway but it's a good time to start. Getting cable and wii (even though we seriously limit it) was the Worst. Thing. Ever. for their temperaments. I must admit that it comes in handy for me sometimes but once they start fighting and being cranky and whiny, I see why I resisted for so long. My kids definitely have a neurological effect from the screen time, I know that's not true for everyone but it is for them.

oy my chocolate chip cookies turned into chocolate chip pie. oh well.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#71 of 331 Old 04-06-2012, 12:54 PM

Nic ~ Sending some energy your way!

Kerc ~ I could do almond butter and sunbutter but it is not the same. ;)  And how I go through it... organic pb is way cheaper than the alternatives.

So.. I'd like to know about the legumes too.  I think they are inflammatory but I'm not sure.

#72 of 331 Old 04-06-2012, 01:55 PM

Jo - that "free" feeling is what I remember and long for (you are basically on the Candida diet). I loved not thinking about food - looking forward to whatever, and having to be mindful about how much I ate. Something about eliminating all the foods that I "crave" but only out of habit, made me get on with life, as absurd as that sounds. And YES on the evangelizing. I felt the same, especially when peole complained of some health issue I thought might be helped bag.giflol.gif

I think legumes are known for having a lot of fungus/mould, and for people trying to address yeast, it is recommended that one avoid all mouldy food, even leftovers that have been kept in the fridge over night. I ignored this, of course - that is, I ate lots of left-overs

Also, if you're budget conscious, you would eat many variations of eggs shrug.gif I ate mountains of veggies, with a little meat, egg, or nuts. And lots of coconut oil, which is hugely sating/filling.

#73 of 331 Old 04-06-2012, 03:13 PM
bec

On the evangelizing.  I totally get it!  I feel that way with South Beach.  SB is not too dissimilar to the Whole30 or eating clean, albeit not as restrictive as those.  I like being free of sugar cravings, only putting whole grains in my body and really having my grain/carb intake under control.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#74 of 331 Old 04-06-2012, 07:24 PM

nic~I would eat chocolate chip pie in a heartbeat.

I like the idea of Whole30 or some other sort of cleansing diet. I'm actually seriously considering a juice cleanse, just to kind of kickstart things, but two things hold me back: worrying about having enough energy for working out, and worrying about having enough energy for work/avoiding snacking at work. I really need to lose about 5-7 pounds, though, and it seems like it might be a good way to do it. I'm not super worried about it just coming right back, considering the reason I gained it in the first place was lack of exercise/too much food and drink at the end of school and I don't think I'll have quite the same problem again.

I am really struggling with the whole working full-time/working out thing. I am just so tired. My three day shifts in a row this week kicked my butt. I don't know why, but it was so much worse than three night shifts in a row. I got out for 4.5 this morning, but I was super tired. I have 8 on tap for tomorrow, half by myself, half with a friend at dash and dine. It really scares me for marathon training that I'm struggling to even build up my base to START marathon training right now. Not to mention those dreams about doing Ironman someday...

And a HUGE thank you to my secret sprinter, who I'm relatively certain is responsible for the cool syringe pen and the AWESOME 26.2 charm I found in my mail today. I love the charm...I've wanted one for so long, but just never got around to getting it! Now I need to find a chain to put it on. love.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#75 of 331 Old 04-06-2012, 08:41 PM

Gaye, you will adjust and fit those workouts in and feel better. But I find transitions exhausting, too.

Yes, I think Whole30 would take some real creativity to do on the super-cheap, and I am thankful (for now) that I am the only one in the house doing it. But yes, coconut oil is awesome. I don't have access to a lot of good meat here anyway, and that which is good is expensive, so maybe lamb twice a week, some canned tuna/sardines (in water or olive oil), chicken, and a lot of eggs. Almonds. Walnuts I love with dates.

And yes, legumes are among inflammatory foods. Which makes sense considering how most of them make me gassy/bloated in varying degrees.

Also yes, mountains of vegetables. Great when you love vegetables.

One last yes: I have a lot of weight to lose and therefore am not too worried about macronutrients. There's a lot of tissue that can be cannibalized to provide energy to this body. winky.gif

PS, hello full moon. af.gif Should arrive any moment.

#76 of 331 Old 04-06-2012, 08:52 PM

Gaye ~ I agree with Jo. Give it time and you'll find your groove.

Jooj ~ I'm so glad Whole30 is agreeing so well with you!

Welcome Stegenrae!!!!  Glad to have you on board.

sparkle ~ lots of house-selling vibes, coming your way

RR ~ nothing today, but a run in on my docket for tomorrow morning.  I'm really looking forward to it too!

NRR ~ took the kids to the zoo today.  I think every other family in the greater St. Louis area was there too.  Seriously, we had to park in the relief lot and walk at least a mile just to get to the front gate.  We did have a great time though and the kids were real troopers about the mountain of walking we ended up doing.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#77 of 331 Old 04-07-2012, 01:44 PM
bec

Reading along.  Gaye - I haven't figured out how to work my limited part time hours and still work out!!!  It's an imperfect process, but I'm working on it.  In the mean time, I have discovered that I can finish some pretty long races with pretty minimal training.  Maybe not with times I would shout from the roof tops, but it's always been about finishing for me. 

RR: No run today, but after 2 rest days, I did get out for a 4+ mile brisk walk with a friend.  She gave me my very much delayed Christmas present today, too.  She took a bunch of pictures of the two of us doing all the various races that we have done together over the years and put them in a photo album!  It made me cry.  I love her so much, and she's moving to Arizona this summer, and I don't know what I'm going to do without her. 

#78 of 331 Old 04-07-2012, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the welcomes, ladies!

Nic, I hope everything is under control for your big weekend right now.

bec, that is so sweet of your friend. ((hugs)) on the separation

JayGee, at least it wasn't the KC Zoo--it's so spread out, you always end up walking a marathon everytime you go unless you spring for the train/tram tickets. did you get your run in today?

tjsmama, I don't have any advice about the juicing/energy needs thing. I hope you find some sort of rhythm that includes running soon.

on the evangelizing--Yeah--I hear ya! I've been gluten- and dairy-free for just over 2 years now, as well as some other stuff I had become intolerant to because of leaky gut. I have to bite my tongue every time one of my friends with RA complains of a flare-up after, say, a birthday party or something. On and on...it's kind of crazy when you feel so much better and you want to shout it to everyone that they don't have to feel like crap--that it's NOT normal. 

RR: C25K w6d2, which is 2 intervals of 1-mile runs. I averaged about 11:40min pace for both of them. Not super far or fast at all compared to you all, but awesome for me. I also do an ab workout after every run. (and yay--that was my first RR here!)

~Rae
homebirthing, homeschooling, natural parenting, attached mama to  treehugger.gifDS1(3/05)  kid.gifDS2(3/08)   rainbow1284.gifboc.gifDD (12/12)

#79 of 331 Old 04-07-2012, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Whew! My husband is moved back in (kind of, but his stuff is all in the house and major reorganization is underway). We had my youngest daughter's b-day party this morning, the community easter egg hunt, the rush home  to deal with her allergic reaction to the cadbury creme egg she popped in her mouth when I wasn't watching (breathing okay, but the rash persists), and now dinner at home for her and my husband's shared birthday today. Our adult dinner plans fell through because our friend's mother passed away, my BILs who were supposed to come up canceled because of timing. Also, my internet connection keeps malfunctioning, the kids jumped on my bed and smashed my usb drive for work and my 6 year old has breast buds. I'm ready for a very long nap, but my husband wants to re-arrange the garage and office and bedroom. surrender.gif

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#80 of 331 Old 04-07-2012, 06:20 PM

MelW - lol.gif in a "I hear ya" way. Dh is, at this moment, sanding and vacuuming plaster that he repaired this afternoon around the windows. Yours sounds infinitely more overwhelming though. 2 birthdays and Easter - whew. I'm pulling Eatsre together by the skin of my teeth ... see, I cant even spell it winky.gif

#81 of 331 Old 04-07-2012, 07:11 PM

Welcome, new dingos!

I feel like a broken record, but I am so very tired. I can't believe I'm back to work tomorrow for three more shifts! Those two days off went FAST. 72 hours and I'll be free for 6 days...I can do it.

So, I pulled the trigger on the juice cleanse. For the record, they are really freaking expensive, but I've got a sizeable tax refund coming back that is more than enough to cover it plus the other things I want to do with it. It's supposed to arrive Tuesday, so I guess Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday will be the days. I'm calling this week maintenance week...juice cleanse, haircut, oil change, pedicure. orngtongue.gif

rr~8 miles this morning. I did the Dash and Dine group again, so I went early to get 3.5ish done before meeting the group. I was slightly irritated because my friend who was supposed to go (and who I KNOW is my speed and I could run with) texted me at 2 am that she was still out at the bars and therefore was not going to be in any shape to run. rolleyes.gif Oh well, I survived. It was a truly gorgeous day for a run, in the 40's warming up to the 60's and beautifully sunny. My foot is still bothering me, and I'm just kind of hoping that it doesn't get worse. It probably doesn't help that we went to the zoo this afternoon (holy zoo, literally and figuratively...I think the entire city was there!) and now I'm going to be on my feet for the majority of the next three days. Oh well. It's really just very annoying at this point, I'm just hoping it doesn't get worse. I did ok for the first 5-ish miles, then I kind of hit the wall, but I survived. It's a good thing I'm so stubborn!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#82 of 331 Old 04-07-2012, 08:05 PM

MelW--Hope your DD remains fine. How scary to have to deal with that. Also, how cool that you received Run Like a Mother! I've been reading their latest, Train Like a Mother, and I'm happy to say that one of my answers to their questionnaire made it into the book.

Hmm...I wonder if that counts as a publication.... lol.gif

bec--sorry about your friend moving.

sparkle--yay for new windows! That process is amazing. When we had ours done, it managed to be on an unseasonably cold day, and there were little glass shards everywhere. R was just walking (~15 months old) and I was trying to figure out what to do with her because I needed to vacuum the glass but there was glass in every room and DH was out of town. Craziness!

stegenrae--my sister feels the same as you about being dairy-free. I'm DF only because my kids can't handle dairy (and I'm still nursing #2). It doesn't bother me one way or the other, but I'm sympathetic to people who don't want to, mostly because going DF is such a freaking huge PITA. I'm used to it now, but I remember there being a great big learning curve, not to mention the difficulty of eating out too.

tjsmama--I'm interested to hear more about your juice cleanse. Granted, I can't do any of that until I'm done nursing, which is probably another 2-1/2 to three years off is J is anything like her older sister. Maybe I'll just do the haircut instead. orngbiggrin.gif Also, are you interested in a free half-mary entry? (Longmont, July 7. See below.)

RR: Today was the Redline 13.1 Westminster, with a starting line all of 4 miles from my house. My marathon training plan called for 17, so I seriously considered running to the start line, before conceding that I didn't want to get up that early in the morning. Instead, I arrived about 15 minutes before the start, warmed up a bit, used the portapotty and then dashed over to the start line a bit on the late side. It wasn't chip-timed so I probably should have gotten in the portapotty line sooner. Oh well. I was trying to reset on my Garmin on the go, but I guess i only lost 30 seconds or so on it.

I'd run school pick-up yesterday (5 miles, double jogger, hills, 15-20 mph winds with gusts up to 40), and I'd run 6 days straight so I wasn't expecting much out of this race. Mostly I was doing it as a way to get my 17 out of the way before noon on a busy weekend. Also, it felt really weird to be running a race on Holy Saturday, but there was no other way to get the miles in, as clearly there's no way it was happening on Easter. Anyhow, I figured sub-2 was out of reach but at least I'd get in my miles with some fun and fuel on the way.

We headed out and I tucked in behind a couple of guys who were holding an 8:40ish pace on the way out. That worked well for the first couple of miles, but then they slowed down a lot so I headed off on my own. I knew the trail really well, as it's one I've been on tons of times. The only part that was new was the turnaround, where they ran us around a baseball field. I'd never gone past that intersection, so I saw a tiny little bit of new trail. And then we were headed back, at which point I started picking off runners one by one. I think I managed to run negative splits, even, which is kind of cool because the second half is a gradual uphill.

Time: 1:57:56 (8:59) pace. Stats: 13/30 F30-39, 27/84 women overall, 81/166 everyone.

I stopped to get some water and check out the food situation--namely, did they have enough boxed lunches? It looked like they did, so I set out to cover my remaining mileage. I circled around the parking lot of the shopping area there and covered 3 miles before the boxed lunch supply looked to be getting low. So then I stopped to eat and they did age group results and the raffle. I managed to win a free entry to another half-marathon, but unfortunately, it's the same day as the Middle Park one that I'm running in Granby. It comes with a free tech shirt and 30 days of training (what that means, I have no idea), so I'm going to email them and see if I can switch it to another race or transfer it to someone (like tjsmama? Or maybe someone on Daily Mile? Or maybe an enterprising Dingo who will be in Colorado and ready to run 13.1 on July 7?) The raffle went on for a while, so eventually I dumped my stuff in the car and covered the remaining .63 miles (having covered .27 before the race started) and was done done done. Except that I needed to actually walk into the Target and get napkins (race parking was in the Target parking lot). Starbucks was across the street and I thought about walking over there for coffee, decided no, it wasn't happening, and am a tiny bit embarrassed to say I actually drove over. :oops: At least it was on the way out, right? 'Cause I *needed* that iced soy latte.

NRR: Got home, did laundry, hung laundry, did a little leftover sewing, worked on bills, did some cleaning, put compost tea on the garden, pulled weeks, pitchforked the last bed, put seeds potatoes out to cure before planting tomorrow and vacuumed. Still to go: folding laundry, putting away laundry, getting out everything before church tomorrow, posting the other part of a student's test and maybe also a few grades, taking a shower and, at long last sleepytime.gif (I was able to nap for 45 minutes with J just before dinner. That helped.)

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#83 of 331 Old 04-07-2012, 08:24 PM
bec

Ok, Lisa, any  day you run 17 miles, with at least 13.1 of them at a sub-9:00 pace, you can have permission to drive across the parking lot to Starbucks on your way home!!!!!  bow.gif

Mel - Sounds like a crazy weekend for you, too!!! 

Other than the 4 miles I walked today, I have been a slug.  The house is a mess, I mostly made the children clean, and didn't get to the store to shop for food for tomorrow until after 8 tonight, and there is laundry (some clean, some dirty) all over the house!  Somehow, it all will come together before 3 tomorrow!  At some point, I need to get a long run in.  I'm thinking next week sometime.  Either Tuesday or Wednesday.  I do have a half marathon coming up, after all! 

I did make a really yummy marinated cucumbers for tomorrow.  So that is marinating in the fridge right now.  If only the dishes fairy would come tonight!!!fingersx.gif

My 11 year old did a really sweet thing this evening.  She has been pestering me about Easter baskets (I was hoping to just ignore them and not do them this year), and she finally cornered me about it at the store the other day when it was just me and her.  I finally cracked and told her we could get them, but she had to put them together!  She was thrilled, so when the little ones went to bed, she dawdled so she could stay up and put them together.  She put a card with their names on them, to identify whose basket goes to who, and what they got stuffed with.  Then, she hid them around the house, and will be able to make them look for them tomorrow morning when they get up.  She has been having such a hard time being civil to her sisters as the hormones have taken over her body, that it was really nice seeing her just thinking about them.  Lord help me make it through adolescence!

#84 of 331 Old 04-07-2012, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Gaye, having spent the past 8 months doing the solo parenting and working full-time thing, I can only say that getting as much exercise as I wanted to was HARD! How you've been doing it while in school is beyond me, but you're amazing and I'm sure you'll get into your groove with the next job soon. Good luck with the juice cleanse. 

real, awesome race (plus extras, plus gardening, plus amazingness!!!). Cool about the train like a mother "publication"!

sparkle, lol.gif about the window sanding. I hope your house sells quickly and your sanity stays intact for the move. 

I've calmed down a bit. I spent 15 minutes on the phone with our internet service provider, then another hour reconfiguring our wireless, but the internet is fixed. While I did all of that, the dishes fairy came and cleaned up and fed the kids bedtime snack and read them bedtime stories. I've said a small prayer for the allergic kid, and for myself for her to sleep tonight. 

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#85 of 331 Old 04-07-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post

Ok, Lisa, any  day you run 17 miles, with at least 13.1 of them at a sub-9:00 pace, you can have permission to drive across the parking lot to Starbucks on your way home!!!!!  bow.gif

yeahthat.gif

Did a little yoga workout yesterday, and an ab workout, and a walk on the beach with some rock scampering. Off to the beach soon to walk and do a couple of short sprints in sand. Came thisclose to being forced to spend the day at the ridiculous and overpriced waterpark down the street, but reason prevailed.

Have begun enforced situps, pushups and planks for kids. Holy atrophy. We all need to get into decent shape before summer. It is not a good scene, but we have time, thankfully.

ETA: All these things done today, and more! We did our strength work, walked to the beach, did a jog for warmup, a few sprints, jog for cool down, and returned home for housework. Kids did a little swimming this afternoon, too. All in all, a good but hot day.

#86 of 331 Old 04-08-2012, 06:59 AM

Jo - sit-ups make me worried. They can be so hard on ones back. Maybe some planks (you could have timed comps) and/or some planks where you pull one leg up to your chest and then the other. See how many you could do (this would also be good work for the arms). And then do some stuff for their backs too, like have them lay flat on the floor and lift alternating hand/foot (keeping leg straight), so right arm/left foot. I think they are called swimmers?

Real - Seriously, bow.gif Amazing

RR: getting back on the wagon tomorrow when the kids are all gone

NRR: Egg hunt done rolleyes.gif

#87 of 331 Old 04-08-2012, 08:21 AM

sparkle, you're probably right; I just needed to start somewhere with these kids, doing something simple enough that they will do it at all, and something they can quantify just as easily. We are working on planks, too, as well as pushups. Maybe switching to some kind of bicycle-crunch action would work...or maybe I can get them doing what I do with my planks. Ds has just become SO LAZY and hard to motivate. He was OK once we were out there.

guilty.gif I just want my virtually-TV-free, farmy, outdoorsy kids back. Now I have one couch potato and one demanding, whiny princess. Sigh.

I don't know how I'm going to get dh to be a part of slaying the TV dragon. I can only hope he will either be home, or that we can demand his time helping with schoolwork to keep him too busy to turn the idiot-box on.

Back to school tomorrow after more than a week off. Early bed tonight.

#88 of 331 Old 04-08-2012, 08:24 AM
bec

The dishes fairy did not come!  However, the kids have all been busting their asses to clean the house, and we are nearly done and it is not even 10:30!!  Vacuuming and cooking is pretty much all that is left!  We will do an egg hunt after the kids pick up the dog poop in the yard. 

#89 of 331 Old 04-08-2012, 08:51 AM

Bec - So sorry the dishes fairy blew you off!  How unfair!

Gaye - Hmmm, juice fast.  Don't be too hard on yourself.  Transitioning to a whole new lifestyle is a big enough deal without trying to punish yourself at the same time. 

JayGee - One of these days I'll get back to St. Louis, I'd love to wander around the zoo with you and let our kids romp together!

Real - Congrats on being published!  What was your question?  And nicely done on the race!  I'm just in awe of your capacity to keep moving forward!

Sparkle - I mentioned our window guys to dh.  As expected he grunted dismissively. eyesroll.gif

Shanti - Sounds like you've got enough to deal with without adding another layer of complexity in the diet.

Nic - Hope today you get to take some down time from all the Passover mayhem.

MelW - Hope that your transition back to 2 parent householding goes smoothly.

Jo - I hear you on the evangelism.  I was totally that was after doing Atkins for the first time.  It was just such a revelation to eat things that made me feel good and to lose all those cravings.  I've never recovered my taste for soda and it's been 10 years.  That whole peanut butter thing though would be my stalling point for Whole30.  It's okay, not every boundary is right for every body.

So we sucked it up yesterday and took the kids off-island for a long day of used car shopping.  We started the day at the Toyota dealer who didn't have anything we really liked, moved on to the local auto auction which was long, boring for the kids and depressing when we saw what people were willing to spend on total POSes.  Then we did some time at the little gravel lots here and there, met up with a college student to look at his '88 Accord, found a '98 Jetta I could live with if I had to, but thankfully which was not ready to sell and finally, as we were on the highway headed back to the ferry at 5:15 the first dealer we'd seen in the morning called to say a '99 Corolla had just come in and was perfect for us.  80k miles and so clean it looked new.  We thought about just continuing on home but then decided it was easier to turn back then than to have to load everyone back onto the ferry in a few days just in case.  So glad we did!  The car is exactly the droid we were looking for.  Totally clean inside and out, low mileage, good tires etc.  And if we can get the Jeep to them they'll do a trade which makes it totally affordable.  So, crossing our fingers that the Jeep can hold itself together for just another 50 miles or so.  I hate car shopping and yesterday was relatively painless even with kids so I feel blessed.

Today I did some pretty low rent easter baskets (hay in nest form on the kitchen table with a choclolate bunny and some crappy plastic eggs with nickels and dimes in them) but the kids seemed happy enough and then they had a big egg hunt out in the yard.  Later we'll head to church and then Dh is playing the Easter Bunny at the annual firefighters' egg hunt on this beach which is covered with driftwood.  And best of all, it is actually a beautiful day today!  So we can wear springy clothes instead of the usual storm gear of years' past!

Hope all the Dingos are enjoying the day, whatever it holds in content or meaning.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#90 of 331 Old 04-08-2012, 09:09 AM

bec, that strikes me as so funny and would be familiar if we had a dog.

jo, Oddly enough here in leisure activity capital of the world we have experienced similar issues with the younger children. For us I think it is a rural vs urban thing. I can only fight so much of reality but we are working on it and have experienced more success with dd2 than dd3.

Yesterday: Easter egg hunt, track meet, bday celebration for a friend of mine, colored eggs and a cake baked.
Today: A run with dh, chocolate, work for ds1, cake into cake bites, deviled eggs, and figuring out how to kick start whatever it is I need to do for me.
Tomorrow: school for most people I live with and personals here. Big plans, big plans. wink1.gif

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page