Dingoes springing into April - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 331 Old 04-10-2012, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Me = dizzy.gif

7 more babies today. I think. I lost count after awhile. We had three plus an outborn baby (born outside the hospital, this one arrived at home, with EMS) before 9 AM. They were keeping people in labor rooms overnight because we were totally full on postpartum. I almost cried this morning, I was so overwhelmed. Luckily it got a little better, and now I have 5 days off.

Tomorrow: a run and personals! I swear!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 331 Old 04-10-2012, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mel38, have a great time in FL!

Shanti, thinking of you. I'm glad that Easter went well for you and your family and I'm hopeful that you have a positive week. hug2.gif

sparkle, cool family history find. My cousin's husband is Lebanese and his family makes the most amazing food! He was back for a visit in 2006 during the war and had a harrowing attempt to get back to Canada.

JayGee, beautiful photo!! I'm glad you had a good Spring break, however brief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

Mel38, was there a balance bike in the past? Linus has outgrown his and fil plans to get him a bike next week so I am curious.

I think this was for me- we bought her a balance bike for her 2nd birthday, and she mastered it pretty quickly. She's also had some time on a trike, so knew how to pedal. I thought she might pick up the two-wheeler quickly, but was amazed that she had it within a day (we actually bought her a new balance bike that can have pedals added, because she's about 30 lbs and didn't seem strong enough for the heavier frames of the other small bikes we saw- the downside of the new bike is that training wheels are not an option, so I took the chance that she would be able to do it based on the balance bike experience).

Plady, congrats on the new donkey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

I am in the kitchen, home from famer's market and PeeWee sports and my dear, dear son asks me, "Do you know off the top of your head is the derivative of the the function f(x) = tan(x) secant squared. ( can't do super script ) And is the derivative of secant tangent?" Easy answer: No, I don't know off the top of my head. He is still carrying on. wild.gif:dizzy This is just him babbling as usual. eyesroll.gif

lol.gif. Sending you LOTS of house-selling vibes. And after they work and get yours sold, send them on to sparkle, okay?

RR- A 35 minute short run with some hill intervals thrown in. I love being able to come home from work and then head out for a run by myself. I've made a loose schedule of when my run times are to make sure that I get in what I need before the trail race later this month.

NRR- I spent the evening re-writing a bunch of final evalutions for my students that were lost in the destroyed USB drive. I've managed to recover almost everything else essential (thank goodness I backed up a lot of my files/presentations/lesson plans). It's the last week of my clinical course, and then I'm back to the classroom. And otherwise I'm doing well. It's a lot of work to get back in our groove of living together, but so far things are working out. The homecoming started a massive Spring cleaning/decluttering that is an ongoing project. I'm excited for the progress we've made already- a bunch of stuff was freecyled over the weekend, we have three boxes of stuff for the salvation army, and a huge load of recycling. I haven't even shown my husband the four or five boxes of junk I cleared out earlier this year that are awaiting final decisions in the crawlspace...

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#123 of 331 Old 04-11-2012, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Plady - can't wait to hear more about your donkey adventures smile.gif

I can't remember if I wrote here about ds' health concerns last summer but we had a follow up with the pediatrician late yesterday afternoon. There was a communication glitch somewhere in the system and he was supposed to be called back in October, not April! Turns out the EEG they did back then was abnormal and he should have been referred to the pediatric neurologist back then, not 6 months later. These 'episodes' he has been having are seizures so he started some medication last night. The list of potential side effects is scary so I keep telling myself they are rare - and I will be watching him like a hawk, especially this first few weeks. The bummer for him is that he will turn 16 this summer but he will have to be seizure free for 6 months before he can begin learning to drive and even then it will depend on the neurologist's recommendation.  I am glad he is a good kid and already disinclined to join the drinking crowd because that is a dangerous no-no with these meds. I wish I knew what was causing this. They did a huge battery of tests after the first big one and it looks like he will be in for more testing when they send him down to the Children's Hospital. He is okay with it all. He is excited about meeting a neurologist because that is what he wants to be. I am glad he isn't too worried or scared - we had a good conversation about what all of this means in the car ride home. The kind of seizures he is having account for nearly all of the strange concerns we have had with ds' behaviour over the past several months. I just want him to be okay.

I got a ton done yesterday which makes me feel like I am in a stronger place which is a relief. Even had some time for a walk along the beach and spent a little time at my spinning wheel - both things are good for my mind and my spirit. The house is organized the way I need it to be, I have a few more bookings for work and a better business plan for my wooly stuff. I will say more elsewhere about other things, as soon as I get a chance. Am off to part two of the science fair with ds and dd2 for the day. Too bad I am not asleep right now because I really could have used a full night's sleep before this!

#124 of 331 Old 04-11-2012, 06:50 AM
bec

Shanti - My BIL was recently (in the past few years) diagnosed with epilepsy.  Honestly, I think getting diagnosed at almost 16 would have been easier for him.  He was a Junior in college and very into his fraternity when he was diagnosed.  The drinking thing has been a struggle for him, as it has such a high social pressure.  He is about a year out of college now, and still hasn't been allowed to drive again.  They are working to find a med or a combination of meds to control his seizures.  He has had to give up on a couple of career paths that he was starting to feel passionate about as a result.  I truly hope your son has an easier road and that he finds a good med that is side effect free!

Plady - I can't wait to hear more about the donkey!  I've missed Jo's farm stories, so have been hanging on yours and jenlove's animal stories!

Gaye - It's raining babies over there!!!!  I hope it calms down for you, and 5 days off in a row is pretty sweet!

RR: I plan on heading over to the gym in a bit to do some strength training. 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#125 of 331 Old 04-11-2012, 07:45 AM

Wow, Shanti, sending your ds healthy vibes for a complete and speedy recovery. And you for the om.gif to deal with it all and everything else.

Mel, that is SO scary about your little one! When dd1 was three and dd2 was a newborn, I went to the Gap. I was in the dressing room half naked with dd2 in the stroller and dd1 took off under the dressing room door and bolted out into the store which was connected to a mall. I nearly had heart failure. Thank G-d we found her hiding under a rack of clothes...those 5 minutes were the longest of my life.

Mommajb, sending good house selling vibes! goodvibes.gif

JayGee, I think your email was hacked. Better check that. Unless you are indeed stranded in the UK without funds in which case there's always a cargo ship coming along...lol.gif

Alex, YAY!!!!! 

Gaye. Dude. Get some rest. That sounds intense...babies are awesome and all but that's a whole lot of them at one time!

Trying desperately to get ds and dd2 to learn their two wheelers. I think dd1 is ready for a bigger bike and she wants to start riding to school, which would be great except we're on a very busy main road so I'm worried. Have to figure that out, she wants to make biking her 'sport' and it's time for me to enable this. I hoped she'd pick running, alas...oh well. Dd2 wants to start the rock climbing gym and it's pricey and far away. Not sure what to do about that. She'd be such a great runner too...

And ds, who knows. He is incredibly athletic but seems entirely uninterested in anything regular. He started karate and I thought that was going well but it seems he hates being told what to do, ever. We're continuing with it for the time being but I really don't feel like paying for something he isn't enjoying. Bah.

At my folks' for a few days. I got a haircut yesterday. My hair tends to get PTHCD (post traumatic haircut disorder) and go q-tip wild the day after a haircut  but so far so good. I also had a really good trail run yesterday and a short but intense hill run workout today. I should be working...I'm freaking out because my project due date is next week. But we're supposed to go see my SIL today. Sigh. Maybe I'll stay up late tonight working to leave the day free. Home tomorrow and then hopefully I will get some work done this weekend...

So I went to the running store yesterday actually to see about a hat but of course I ended up fooling with the shoes. Sheepish.gif I think I'd like to incorporate a more minimalist (at least lighter weight, lower heel-toe drop) shoe into my rotation for speed workouts and races. I have two half marathons coming up, one on Mother's Day and another on the first sunday in June. (Oh yeah...they are the Rubin Run on Mother's Day; and the Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon on Sunday June 3rd, for the race list).

So I always wear the Asics 2170 for training and I am quite happy with them. I tried on the Gel Neo 33 and the NB 860 for the 'lighter weight' pair. Not sure which to go with or how to go about rotating them in. Anyone else do this? Is there another shoe I should look at also? I can't wear Brooks apparently. Historically have not been able to wear Nike because the toe box is too narrow although someone told me they changed their shoes a bit. Saucony used to work well for me too but I haven't worn them since I started with the 21XX series.

Leave it to me to get tied up for an hour and not buy anything at the running store...

Meanwhile, my mom is on a mission to get me into 'cuter' real shoes and since my favorite loafers finally tore along the top, I guess I have to. She bought me these weird sequined Sperry top sider type shoes and although they're seriously odd looking they're also kind of cute. I also tried on a pair of cute fisherman sandals at Clark where she has a coupon and a credit and I think I might let her buy me a present. shy.gif  But I have like NO patience for trying on/shopping for/buying 'real' shoes and an infinite amount of patience for sitting in the running store debating medial posts, stability lasts, heel-toe drop ratios, and 10 oz. vs. 8 oz. differentials in weight. Jeez. Running nerd. love.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#126 of 331 Old 04-11-2012, 10:32 AM

Stupid, stupid, stupid e-mail virus Cuss.gif.  Not only did it spam my entire contact list (sorry....), but permenantly deleted ALL my received messages (including the vendor contacts for our next PTO event), ALL my contacts, and all my sent messages.  I changed my password, and did a virus scan (which found two, now deleted).  Not how I wanted to spend my morning.  FTR, I'm not in England and in need of an urgent wire transfer eyesroll.gif.

Nic ~ let me know what you decide regarding more minimal runners.  I'm trying to make the same decision myself, but want to ease into it very, very carefully.  I'm thinking about the Brooks Pure, but want to try them in the store before I buy.

Shanti ~ that's frightening (and frustrating that you found out 6 months later...).  I'll keep your DS in my thoughts and prayers and you navigate this.  Stay strong and know you're in my prayers.

Gaye ~ enjoy your days off!  You definitely deserve them.

RR ~ pilates this morning

NRR ~ I'm all dizzy.gif because of the e-mail hack, and my DS's attitude toward school (poor), and my messy house, and the fact that in a school with 700+ kids, only ONE parent showed up at last night's PTO general meeting.  Do they really not care that much?  I feel like there is a core group of about 20 parents who do EVERYTHING (PTO, Get Smart with Art, Library, Class Parties) and no one else can be bothered.  PTO is FREE!  I know a lot of schools you have to pay to belong and attend meetings, but ours is free, we have free childcare during the monthly meetings, it's well advertised.  I just don't understand why parents don't come.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#127 of 331 Old 04-11-2012, 10:58 AM
bec

RR: Gym and strength went well.  I plan on running to Abby's school and back to volunteer.  Actually, I'm going to leave early, so I get about 30 minutes of running in before I get there.  I am going to try out a fun new ap that I got on my phone.  It's called Zombie Run.  They "motivate" you by bringing you through a scenario where your town is overrun with zombies.  You have to get supplies and the like.  There is an interval option where the zombies actually chase after you, and you have to pick up your pace by at least 20% for a minute or so for each interval.  It's pretty cool, so I am excited to try it!

#128 of 331 Old 04-11-2012, 11:29 AM

Ugh, JayGee, I'd be dizzy.gif too. Especially on the not-caring thing. Of course, here I am, basically opting out of my kids' school because I am so turned off by it. But then, it's not public, and I have other options. Still, sorry about the stupid hack. I sure do hope you can somehow amass all that info again. I should do some backup myself, probably. And glad to know you're not waiting for my funds transfer in the UK.

Shanti, Reb is also in the middle of navigating the epilepsy challenge. That poor lady lost her driving privileges and is trying to maintain some semblance of normality as a single mom in a suburban ranch. Can't work her job, can't drive her car, and has two kids. I hope this is an opportunity for your son to discover a cause AND a solution in a short span of time. I just Skyped with Reb for almost 2 hours. It was so great to talk, but I want to see her in the best of health. Just hug2.gif is what I mean.

bec, I hope you got some good lifting in. orngbiggrin.gif

Gaye, it sounds like baby overload. Holy man. I probably would have cried. I hope you get some good rest. This is a transition; it will get smoother. Plus, you get to snuggle babies and let them poo on you.

Nic, let your mother buy you the shoes. You describe everyday cute shoes like they're cardboard boxes. lol.gif I love "cute" shoes. But I am pretty sure my version of "cute" is not the same as the mainstream target market. I've spent the past year in animal-print Birkenstock thong sandals. Personally, I am sort of dreaming about a pair of Vibrams. I just don't like anything with a sole on sand. I've had good luck barefoot so far, but a few close calls with litter, and even the occasional spiny snail shell. I like the looks of the Brooks Connect, but then I can wear Brooks. The NB 860 didn't look like a big difference from your usual shoe, but that Gel Neo 33 looks a good bit less equipment-y. Do you get to try them on outside on the sidewalk? Our local place back home always let us do that.

I let time get past me and missed my beach window today. So I swam this afternoon. The pool was perfect, bordering on too warm, and I just did easy laps for half an hour or so. And as promised, I have broken the no-weigh rule for Whole 30. Let's just say it is incredibly motivating to keep up with the right food choices, and I am also starting to find my groove making family meals that I can eat together with the kids by simply eliminating one component. thumb.gif I hope to be looking A-OK in my pants by end of the month. And, Reb and I actually Skyped a creative meeting for a project we're working on together, and I am just blown away by her artistry. She is amazing. I have high hopes for the project (a read-aloud picture book), and I think our skills and aesthetics are perfectly complementary. Fun stuff. Anyone know a children's lit agent?

#129 of 331 Old 04-11-2012, 11:54 AM

jaygee~hug.gif I've been hacked, and it sucked, but fortunately it was just more of an annoyance than an actual problem for me...no emails deleted or anything. I hope you can find a way to recover them!

shanti~hug.gif for you, too! I hope that finally having a diagnosis of sorts means that you can start finding answers for your DS!

I stillheart.gif shoes. It doesn't matter what kind...heels, boots, sandals, running shoes, I stillheart.gif them all. If I had the money, I could be one of those women with a closet just for her shoes. Get the shoes, nic! And as a pseudo-sponsored Brooks runner, I can say that I have heard nothing but great things about the Pure line, just FYI. Me and my orthotics in stability shoes are a little nervous of going more minimal than the Launch I use for races up to 10k...

I'm halfway through day 1 of the juice cleanse. So far, so good, but I'm seriously worried about being starving by tonight. Not to mention tomorrow or the next day. The first juice was green juice, followed up by pineapple-apple-mint (seriously YUM), and now it's another green juice. After that will be spicy lemonade, carrot-apple-beet, and finishing up with cashew milk. The green juice is not my favorite, but it's drinkable. I'm already kind of having fantasies about cheeseburgers...bag.gif

rr~Track this morning, for the first time in 2 months! It was painful, but not as painful as it could have been, I guess. We did 600's. Most people did 6, but I got 5 since I hadn't been there for awhile. I thought I was going to die by the last one, whether it was lack of track workouts in recent memory or juice for pre-run fuel, or what, I do not know. Done, though!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#130 of 331 Old 04-11-2012, 01:00 PM

Not that I do anywhere near the milage of y'all...  but I love my Merrell barefoot shoes. :) Can't wait to get another pair!

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#131 of 331 Old 04-11-2012, 01:33 PM
bec

Well, I survived the zombies and got urgent medical supplies to the township!  Seriously, this was fun.  I did have the zombies chasing me mode turned on, and did get caught once.  But, I think it was because my GPS got confused with a cul de sac rather than because I was running too slow!  Anyway, between that and a light jog back home after volunteering and the warm up mile at the gym, I put in over 5 miles today!  Woot!

#132 of 331 Old 04-11-2012, 03:16 PM

I may go try the Brooks pure line at another shop. I have to say, the fact that the NB rep was there on his sales visit and pushed the 860s at me was distinctly off putting and intimidating even though he was a perfectly nice guy. Not buying anything yet anyway as I have to wait for a paycheck so I'm going to try another store. I feel bad about that, having put them through bringing out like 10 prs of shoes etc. but it's a pretty big expense and there's no return if it doesn't work out, so there's a wait-and-evaluate factor, you know?

Back from a really great day at my brother's, (who I didn't see) spent with my SIL (who is my best friend) and the cousins all playing together. So great and I am leaving with ds' summer wardrobe from my nephew who also had a growth spurt, for which I am thankful on many levels. thumb.gif  

Mom bought me the shoes, thanks mom! love.gif  I am happy to be the cast-off queen as well, having now also inherited a lovely new (to me) towel set and sheets for dd1's bed (which is a queen as it is our old bed and also the guest bed) since my parents are in spring-new-linens-buying mode. Excellent for me. 

Of course i got no work done. Meh.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#133 of 331 Old 04-11-2012, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Nic, congrats on the new shoes, and let us know about the minimalist shoe shopping. I'm interested in minimalist shoes, but am a devoted New Balance wearer because of the AA width. I was excited to see their new minimalist line, but so far it's only in regular width. Back in February I took some notes from Miranda's barefoot expertise because she recommended some narrower shoes.

Shanti, I'm glad that you have a treatment plan for the epilepsy and hope that he has a smooth course with the meds.

bec, way to fight the zombies!

JayGee, I'm a bad non-participatory public school parent. My excuse in kindy was that I taught in the evenings and couldn't do meetings, and this year was general overwhelmed with life/work/kids imbalance. I do help out occasionally in the classroom and hang around on the playground after school, but don't do much to make it a better place. But I am eternally grateful for people like you that make good things happen at our school!

Gaye, good luck with the cleanse! How many births a year does your hospital have? That's a LOT of babies!!

jo, I'm glad that the Whole 30 is going so well, in terms of mood and (forbidden) weight.

NRR- I took my youngest to the doctor at day five of horrible face and hands rash (which there were traces of last Friday, but got bad after she snuck a cream egg at the community hunt on Saturday). She's bright red and swollen even with Benadryl. I was really hoping for a virus, but it's all allergy. We're still working on diet, environment and everything else we can think of. Doctor even suggested sunlight as a possible cause, which made me come home and cry. We're still waiting to see the immunologist, keeping a meticulous diary of everything she eats, touches and plays with and hoping that we can find the trigger. Current top suspects are playdough (wheat), grass and corn.

#134 of 331 Old 04-11-2012, 11:28 PM

JayGee--that's a lot going on, but glad you at least got the virus sorted out. As for PTO, I don't know about yours, but I don't attend our PTA meetings because they all fall on nights that I'm teaching. When I did go last year, during the one semester where they didn't conflict, there didn't seem to be much of a point. There was some information, but it seemed like half the time they'd already gotten volunteers for activities and such because everyone knew each other already. They even asked for help on the newsletter and I immediately volunteered via email and then introduced myself to the woman at a meeting. She never contacted me, ever. So...? I do a few things for the PTA but I'm not part of the inner circle (and for that matter, very few of the inner circle actually showed up at meetings either, so it's clear that the real business is taking place elsewhere). I'm hoping that being one of two accompanists for the choir helps balance it out--along with the fact that I have a 2yo at home, a part-time job, I'm bringing the 5 lbs of chips they requested for Friday's spring dance (which we will not actually be attending) and I paid my dues and donated about 4x the amount of money they were asking families to donate to their direct donation campaign. Paul's on the School Improvement Team, so it's not like we're not involved. (I would be, except that J was 5 months old when they started meeting, and the meetings were right during prime nursing times.) And I'll likely be accompanying the orchestras next year during concerts and some rehearsals, plus the usual once-a-month classroom volunteering, plus volunteering for the 4 class parties a year. Sometimes I feel inadequate, but then again, our room mother is a SAHM of one who spends all day at school volunteering in some form (PTA, classroom, whatever). I can't compete with that. (Though, I run faster than her. I looked up her old times after she told me she runs. I don't even want to think about what this says about me. Why do I even care???? What is wrong with me!?!?)

Shanti--I hope the meds do all good things for your son and that everything is able to get under control pretty quickly. Ugh--like you needed more trouble!

Nic--I'm intrigued by the more minimal shoes too. I don't want to go fully barefoot, but a lighter shoe sounds wonderful. I bought the Brooks Ravenna last month in hopes of moving in that direction (as a longtime Adrenaline wearer). The Brooks Pure look awesome, but the shoe guy didn't think I should go there yet and I'm sure he's right, seeing as the Adrenaline's have treated me well and caused no injuries whatsoever. Hope you're able to find something perfect.

bec--yay for being chased by zombies!

MelW--any chance that it could be sunscreen related? Did you put sunscreen on her face and hands? DH had a nasty reaction to sunscreen with either zinc or titanium dioxide and was red for about a week, iirc.

tjsmama--glad to hear you survived the baby craziness and hope the juice fast continues to go well.

Hi to everyone else!

RR: 8 Yasso 800s on the track after dinner this evening. It got dark about a third of the way through, so some of my later splits were probably slower than they would have been otherwise (pace: 7:57, 7:59, 7:43, 7:58, 8:09, 8:02, 8:06, 7:54). My goal is supposed to be 8:02, and since 5 of those were faster and one was right on, the average is good enough. That said, I have no idea how that will translate to a hilly course at altitude, but oh well.

NRR: Crazy week here, full of violin recitals (last night), food poisoning (R, thanks to DH who thought the almond milk smelled just fine and told her to drink it anyhow), instrumental practice (R and me for Sunday), choir rehearsals (tomorrow), and a class program (Friday). Also, a thunderstorm (as I write this).

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#135 of 331 Old 04-12-2012, 12:32 AM

Oh, MelW. I would have cried, too. Of course, I'd be the first person, at this point, to say "eliminate everything!" But it's not easy with kids, as the Cadbury egg proves. greensad.gif I pray that grass, sun and dirt are NOT among the culprits.

And re: Real's sunscreen comment, my very non-allergic kids both are unable to wear sunscreen. I have yet to find one that doesn't make my skin itch, burn or feel uncomfortable. And dh is so anti-sunscreen that just having it in the house causes tension.

Real, come ON. Food poisoning, too? More than enough. I hope you can whiz through it and get to the other side with nerves intact, mama.

bec, the zombies do sound fun.

I got the house about halfway cleaned, and now am heading to the beach for an hour or so, and then back here for the rest of the cleaning, some afternoon yoga, and writing if it squeaks in. I am thinking, too, that I may be back to daily swims, however lame my swimming is. The weather has shifted to hot, and soon will shift to very hot, and the workout schedule and expectations will need to be revamped. Early-morning forward motion and bonus late-day swims, I guess. I've been exercising the kids lightly every day and have reduced their sugar load and eliminated TV/screen time during the week. Dd's behavior responded immediately, and ds has fallen back into reading working productively on his school work. It's really simple; why why why do we have to make it so hard to maintain (see also, DH irked.gif)?

#136 of 331 Old 04-12-2012, 06:26 AM

Wow, dingoworld sound stressed.  We need some tea or wine and by some miracle sugar free chocolate.  I am reading along, but struggling to keep up.

Running hasn't been happening this week first letting my knee rest (bursitis had flared up really bad) and then a cold.  I haven't been sick in a very very long time.  But after doing the neti pot a gazillion times this morning I think I may have cleared what was in my sinuses out.  Now just to hope that while it's gone into my chest some, I can keep it limited.  

#137 of 331 Old 04-12-2012, 09:01 AM

Morning Dingos!

Shanti - hug2.gif I hope that the meds make a huge improvement for ds.  As if life isn't stressful enough right?

Bec - Way to go outrunning zombies!  What happens if you aren't fast enough?

Real - lol.gif I don't know what it says about you, other than it would say it about me too.  If I took running as seriously as you and found out a woman like her might have results online, I'd be too curious to not click.

MelW - I'm crossing fingers for sunscreen. 

Nic - I don't blame you for taking the time!  It is a big deal purchase, both $wise and injury-potential-wise.  I look forward to hearing about your experience with the new ones.

JayGee - Sorry about the email and the PTO turnout.  I find the same thing happens with parents during the plays here.  Some parents are volunteering every time I turn around and some parents I never even see once, they don't even come in to pick-up or drop-off kids for rehearsals or anything.  I do find it frustrating but we all know how it is to get overwhelmed and I think some families are more chronically overwhelmed than others.  Still, one parent.  That would be discouraging no matter what.

Jo - How exciting to have a project happening with Reb!  I don't know any agents but I'll kee an ear open.  You never know.

Time for me to get moving toward Boxing class.  I haven't managed a decent weight workout again yet and it's getting really frustrating but this week is yet another vacation for the kids and I'm already out of the house more than they'd like.  Once they are back in school I've got 7 weeks left in my 30s and I'd like to go out feeling strong and slim.  If I could only figure out how to get all the housework done, help dh in the garden, tend to the animals, make food and be present with kids AND get my alone/exercise time.  I can't believe I haven't figured it out yet.  Seriously.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#138 of 331 Old 04-12-2012, 10:57 AM

quick question for anyone who has run during pregnancy--when you got to the point where your blood volume was increasing, did you get shortness of breath doing just about anything (like climbing stairs)? This happened to me with my pregnancy in the fall and seems to be happening now. I'm concerned that it will keep me from actually getting any sort of fitness to stick. Not that I can run today anyway, as my tooth pain has returned with a vengeance and I'm starting abx and need more painkillers than ever before. But you know, when this starts feeling magically better and all...

~Rae
homebirthing, homeschooling, natural parenting, attached mama to  treehugger.gifDS1(3/05)  kid.gifDS2(3/08)   rainbow1284.gifboc.gifDD (12/12)

#139 of 331 Old 04-12-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

I wish it was sunscreen. I didn't use any greensad.gif. We're on elimination diet, no play dough, and limited time outside with hourly logs of activities, foods and symptoms.

#140 of 331 Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 PM
bec

Rats, Mel.  That is scary and frustrating.  I hope you discover what the issue is soon!  I know that Abby reacts to sunscreen, particularly the "water-proof" spray sunscreen. 

RR: I finally got a long run in!  I had some tired legs because of yesterday's running/strength training, but pressed through.  The end result was 10 miles.  I wouldn't describe it as a dream run, but it was doable and I was able to get through, albeit pretty slowly!

#141 of 331 Old 04-12-2012, 05:23 PM

Bec - That is a he** of a lot of miles on tired legs! Well done smile.gif

MelW - Ugh! I remember trying to eliminate dairy for two weeks b/c it was recommended as a remedy for bed-wetting, and it was so hard I said screw it!, I'd rather change wet sheets. I hope you find an answer - how scary and frustrating goodvibes.gif

Jo - the energy coming from you is so light lately. I think the whole30 is having a metaphysical effect (or, you know, it's all just a coincidence). Either way, it's so nice to hear a lighter voice. The book sounds fun and provocative

Shanti - I hope they find a treatment that makes this easy to manage. I'm sorry the poop keeps coming, but you did manage to get so much done! clap.gif

JG - irked.gif I would be annoyed. I know people are busy, but really; 1?! Our school has 200 kids and we have 10 regulars at the PTO meetings hug.gif

Rae - I never had that experience, but wouldnt your O2 eventually catch up to the increased blood volume? Maybe part of the winded-ness is that you are still early in the pregnancy and tired. Sometimes when I;m *just* tired I get winded doing things that dont make me winded otherwise?

RR: bike and running today. I always bike for an hour of mixed levels, and then run/walk for 20 min. Today the bike was hard, but at least I got it done, but then the run felt....good. I was going fast, and after my run-segment, I often just kept running for another 30 seconds. It got me thinking: maybe I should bike less and run more. I'm a little leary of looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I sure am tempted to go for a run tomorrow, like, outside loveeyes.gif

NRR: Storage locker - Woot. Took some boxes and our too-big dining room table, re-arranged the living-room to include the new table I just found at one of the antique stores nearby ... love at first sight. I had an idea in mind, and there it was. BUT (right!) it needed work, that Dh spent the day doing. It is sooo purty. We're in the home-stretch.

Yesterday I spent 2 1/2 hours scrubbing the shower (full tile) - first I did the grout with a tooth brush; that took about 45 minutes, then scrubbed one tile at a time. After two hours of that I was only 2/3 of the way done and my right arm was so pumped I couldnt do it anymore lol.gifbag.gif So I asked Dh to finish .... he figured out (genius!) that he could attach the green-scrubby to his power sander and just "sand" one tile at a time. He got it done in a jiffy, and didnt I feel like a doofus for working so hard wild.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#142 of 331 Old 04-12-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Rae, I never had troubles with shortness of breath. I got slower and more tired, but didn't feel like I was suffering with breathing. Around 20-24 weeks my pelvis started to feel wrong when I ran, and at that point with both I switched to swimming.

sparkle, hooray for the house coming together and your clever husband. I had some tub grime that not even the professional cleaner could get out that was easily washed off with pink solution. It also fixed what I thought was a permanent stain from hard water in our toilets. I'm a convert (and it's non-toxic enough that my MIL washes her face with it!)

RR- 5k short run today. Fastest I've been on that loop since early fall.

NRR- I totally forgot about a b-day party for my daughter's friend today. And I missed garbage day three weeks in a row. Stressed much?! I feel like a big jerk about the party.

#143 of 331 Old 04-12-2012, 09:54 PM

MelW - Pink Solution!? Do tell!

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#144 of 331 Old 04-12-2012, 09:54 PM

melw~I really don't know how many babies a year we have. I do know that we had 240-some last month, which was actually well down from the forecast of 300 babies! When I left on Tuesday, we were at 78 so far this month.

real~ I totally look up almost everybody I find out is a runner. orngtongue.gif

Day 2 of juice cleanse, done. And I feel surprisingly good. I had a splitting headache last night before bed, but I don't know that I can attribute that to the cleanse, when I had a headache when I woke up yesterday. Although it definitely could have been two days without caffeine. I've been really surprised that I really haven't felt hungry. Not that I'm not fantasizing about cheeseburgers, because I totally am. And girl scout cookies. And lots of other yummy things. orngbiggrin.gif

rr~4 miles with friends this morning. I felt pretty good, considering the cleanse and all. Maybe a little low energy, but otherwise not bad. We'll see how tomorrow morning's workout goes, I guess!

#145 of 331 Old 04-12-2012, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

http://pinksolution.ca/products/pinkSolution.htm

I just learned that it's a Canadian product, but looks like it's available in some states and online. My MIL buys it for me at Costco. It's an enzymatic cleaner that is really gentle but cuts grease so well. I use it without gloves because it makes my hands soft. It's the "mother's choice" product that got all the stains out, including the toilet ring that all kinds of crazy chemicals and toxic magic eraser failed on. I feel like a walking infomercial for their products. I've heard that some product demo people will drink it to demonstrate the safety, but I haven't gone that far!!!

Gaye, I'm glad the juice cleanse is going well and that you're enjoying days off. My first maternity job was at a hospital that did 6-7000 births a year (aka the "baby factory") and we had some 20+ baby shifts. I'm reminiscing about the insanity and glad that I wasn't the one doing it! My current hospital job considers it a busy shift if 3 babies are born, but when your entire maternity team is two nurses it can get crazy fast!

#146 of 331 Old 04-12-2012, 11:41 PM

MelW--ugh! I hope you find the culprit and it's something easy to remedy.

RR: 5 miles.

Am really ready to be done with marathon training and this week in general. Now ordering a pity party for one (see below).

NRR: after this morning's volunteer frenzy, plus a very fast trip to the grocery store in between volunteering for choir and in the classroom, we headed home, ran, got lunch and got ready for work. Ten minutes before we leave to pick up R, J throws up all over the rug. banghead.gif DH was down in the Springs doing a workshop at a fancy hotel ("that's what a hotel should be," he tells me later, talking about the views and exploring the rooms on break...it's a wonder I didn't throttle him then and there), so I canceled class. J unfortunately threw up in her car seat after picking R up from school, so the cover is drying and I'm praying that it will be dry by tomorrow morning because I need it tomorrow morning. When DH finally got home, I ran over to church to practice (subbing for our organist Sunday), managed to sound as if I'd never played an organ before, returned home to a J who looked slightly better, but who managed to throw up down my back. DH grabbed a towel, but apparently not quickly enough, because a couple of hours later he asks if I know I still have vomit on my back. I said no (because duh, if I'd known would I be walking around with it?) and he says "oh, I thought you would have changed that."

hopmad.gif

Dude, the correct response is "oh, let me grab a cloth and clean that for you."

When I pointed this out, he made excuses about "helping" with the laundry, by which he apparently means that he carried his very own underwear and socks up the stairs to his very own dresser, along with some items belonging to other members of the family, while leaving the rest of the clothes unfolded in the dryer. He claimed he didn't know, which is funny because when I was heading out to practice organ, I mentioned the stuff in the dryer and he told me not to worry about it. Apparently "don't worry about it" is code for "it will still be there when you get back. No worries."

I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or beat the living crap out of him.

Tomorrow will be better. Tomorrow will be better. Tomorrow will be better....

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#147 of 331 Old 04-13-2012, 06:14 AM

Yesterday was, well, a day.
Today is a new one.
Also: I have given myself permission to skip out on family gatherings (in laws). In this week alone my sil told me (in front of dd1) that dd1 was mean. And then acted surprised when I told her I knew and we didn't know what to do about it.. Saying that out loud to her told me I did know what to do about it and have been debating calling a psychologist for years. But I'm not sharing that with my b....y sil. Talk about mean.

Kathleen do you work with girls? Or just adults? Cause I called to get a recommendation and dang it the first available appointment is may 23 AND it's 90% covered by insurance but this office requires I pay 250 dollars upfront until insurance repays them. Welcome to america. ......dd1 is an intense girl, with intense feelings, who is smart and knows to trust outside experts. So that's what we're doing- calling Iran outside expert to teach her coping skills.

And I'm excusing myself from all contact w my sil.

And my husband has jury duty the week I'm scheduled to be out of town in the middle of may. And my mil/fil will be in the state but didn't offer to chip in for child care. But my child-free friends volunteered to step up for us. One told me she was going to teach my kids how to watch cable, swear and smoke cigarettes. But yes, she could be here when the bus got here in the event that Erik spent a day at the court house.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#148 of 331 Old 04-13-2012, 06:26 AM

Gaye, which juice fast are you doing? Or did you tell us already and I missed it. Duh.

Real, I'm sorry, I am ROTFLMAO.gif and biglaugh.gifand shake.gif and bawling.gif at the same time at your day. Mainly because my dh is EXACTLY the same way with chores, laundry, cleaning up, etc. I am so sorry you had to deal with all the vomit, the laundry, etc. 

I came home yesterday after three days away with the kids to find a kitchen in utter chaos, with the stovetop (thankfully, a flat top) covered in muck which must have occurred when dh attempted to cook ground meat without defrosting it first. There was like a layer of grease on the whole thing. Plus the sink was full of dirty dishes, there was laundry (I know not clean or dirty) all over the laundry room, unwrapped food in the fridge, and tissues all over the living room (allergy season). My kids already know when we walk in from leaving him home alone, they go first and rate the bad mess scale...dd1 walked in, looked at me and said, "maybe you shouldn't come in, Mommy."

Sigh.

So I cleaned it up because it's like a biohazard and dh comes home all chipper and is irritated with me that I'm pissed off. He says, "you always need a few hours to decompress when you come back from being away." and I said, "well maybe i wouldn't if you would clean up after yourself!" He said, "I did an experiment to see if you would notice the last time you went away and I kept things cleaner and you still were grumpy so I figured why bother." (FOR THE RECORD it was still a mess the last time also eyesroll.gif albeit perhaps not as bad as this time). 

Feh.

Anyway I did go out for a run this morning but had one of those totally awful moments when you feel like if you don't stop dead in the middle of the sidewalk you will seriously lose your sh*&. I managed to hobble the rest of the way home, total of 5 miles but it sure wasn't lovely. Still at least I got moving. Despite being totally gluten free all the time, Passover is still managing to wreak havoc on my digestive system, and I don't even eat matzah. I guess my body is missing the fiber of the brown rice and legumes I generally eat although I have been eating quinoa. Something is off, anyway. 

I am also having my annual Passover I-don't-want-to-do-this-religious-thing-anymore crisis. I don't know why this happens but it always does. Trouble is, because there are a lot of aspects of my spirituality I literally wear on the outside (way I dress, cover hair, etc.) when I vacillate on this everyone knows. It's not good for my kids and there are social repercussions also, which I don't like but are nevertheless true. Feh again.

ETA: want to see a great story? (it might make you cry a little but it's worth it). The power of the internet, for good: "Caine's Arcade"  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faIFNkdq96U

#149 of 331 Old 04-13-2012, 07:57 AM

Oh dear!  It sounds like yesterday was a bad day all around in Dingo-land!

Nic ~ once again, hopmad.gif at your DH for his ass-holery. 

Real ~ hopmad.gif at your DH too.  Really?  Not telling you that there is barf on your back?  Hope J is feeling better today and the sickness is limited to just her.

kerc ~ your SIL needs to rent a clue.  I hope you can get some help for DD sooner than the end of May hug2.gif.  Intense emotions are difficult to handle, for both the person experiencing them and for those around him or her (ask me how I know....)

rae ~ I don't recall shortness of breath either (but it's been a while since I've been pregnant!)  I think if you keep walking or swimming or doing whatever is comfortable, you will be fine though.

sparkle ~ I'm impressed with your bathroom cleaning!  I spent 20 minutes on mine yesterday, and that was more than enough.  We need to remove all the grout in the shower and redo it because moisture got under it, mildewed, and now the area under all the grout is black.  Gross....

Thanks to all who commented on my PTO issues.  I think I may be expecting too much.  We're also having a tough time getting volunteers for Spring Fling (1/2 hour shifts to run the games) because everyone wants to enjoy the fair with their kids and not work.  Newsflash ~ if everyone did that, there would be no fair.

RR ~ feeling fat and yucky and unmotivated.  This too shall pass...

NRR ~ I'm doing a 2 week trial of gluten free for DD2.  She has CONSTANT stomach aches and terrible diarrhea.  She's cranky, and crabby, and cries way too much for an almost 6 year old.  I sincerely hope it's not a gluten issue since it's really quite limiting, especially for a child.

Off to the chiro this morning.  My SI joint is totally stuck.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#150 of 331 Old 04-13-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
 We're also having a tough time getting volunteers for Spring Fling (1/2 hour shifts to run the games) because everyone wants to enjoy the fair with their kids and not work.  Newsflash ~ if everyone did that, there would be no fair.

That happened here.  I felt guilty because I'd considered signing up to help organize it and kept putting it off and putting it off and the next thing you know it was cancelled.  Then this year the biggest fund raiser of the year was cancelled, I can only imagine due to non-participation.  I think it's a shame but would I be willing to take the lead on it?  No.  So oh well right?

Real - Seriously mama.  hug2.gif  Those scenarios sound so upsetting they make me angry, I can only imagine how sick of the whole thing you must be.

Nic - You too.  Love how your dh manages to be an ass and find a way to make it your fault.  What the hell gets into these men anyway?

Kerc - Good decision on your self-imposed non-contact order.  Better than throttling.  And good luck with the therapist.  I hope you can find someone before the end of May.

Sparkle - I think I may have managed to channel some of your cleaning mojo yesterday!  I didn't get through the whole house (it being about 2.5x larger than necessary) but I did a relatively deep cleaning on most of the ares we use downstairs.  But MelW, now I am hot for the pink solution.  I watched the demo and everything!  I'm going to have to make a trip to Sidney for it because the closest US retailer is California and the shipping more than doubles the price.

Shanti - Also wondering more about your Enjo thing?  Why is that the Canadians have all these cool non-toxic cleaners? 

Rae - I did experience the shortness of breath thing with my pregnancies.  I wasn't trying to run through them though and I don't recall how it resolved, but I'd guess it did on it's own before the end of the second tri.

Gaye - Good luck with the continued fasting!  I hope that in the end you find it valuable.

RR: Boxed yesterday, it was a super intense workout but felt good.  I sweated buckets.  Today, still have both kids home and want to lift but probably won't.

FR: (Farm related for Dingos who like that sort of thing) - My handsome white rooster has an infected foot.  Dh and I caught him last night and washed and dressed it and isolated him for the night.  I was afraid we were too late because he was gasping in this death-rattle way and just collapsed when I put him in his box.  So this morning I totally expected to find him dead and wasn't I surprised when he leaped out of the box as soon as I cracked it open.  But, poor guy, he's still got his gauze on and he still can't tolerate weight on it.  And though I tried to feed him some special bits the rest of the flock came and bullied him out of the way.  SO I guess we'll have to recapture him today and see how it goes from there with tighter security.   Meanwhile the donkey is a sweetie.  She is really mellow and gentle.  We found a sarcoid tumor on her belly but it's a wait-and-see thing.  It might just go away on its own or we might need to do something for it.  I was pretty pissed initially because the way the former owner made it sound she needed a new home for the donkey because her horse didn't like it but when we were loading the donkey the horse was freaking out like she was upset that we were taking her friend away.  And then to find this tumor, it just feels pretty sketchy.  But whatever.  The girls love her and hopefully it will work out for the best. 

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Tags
Fitness

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page