Eat before exercising? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-02-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I meet a group to do intense exercise at 5:30 am 3 days a week. I normally don't eat before because I am not hungry yet. I am wondering if that is ok or if it is making my body think it is getting starved so not burning as much fat as it would had I eaten before.

I am very new to all this working out stuff lol.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#2 of 5 Old 04-02-2012, 07:49 AM

Whenever I'm about to do something crazy (like Crossfit type of exercise) I have a banana or a piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter on it about an hour prior.  I find if I don't, I have the shakes very badly afterwards.  But if it's something like power yoga, I can do that on an empty stomach. 

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#3 of 5 Old 05-18-2012, 02:30 AM

Well I guess that's not correct to eat before

#4 of 5 Old 05-18-2012, 12:35 PM

If you feel ok while exercising, not light-headed, weak, and you have enough energy to exercise, then don't eat. Exercising in a fasted state means that your body will use fat stores for energy. Just refuel well after your workout. Check out Mark Sisson's posts about this. If you do feel too weak to exercise, try a whey protein shake - it digests quickly and won't interfere with working out.

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpggd.giftriadadopt.jpgfamilybed1.gif

#5 of 5 Old 05-20-2012, 01:00 PM

I think most hard core exercise gurus will tell you to eat about 30 minutes or so prior to a hard workout.  My friend sees an exercise endocrinologist, and he swears that not only must you eat before, you should consume certain calories during, as well.

I personally don't eat during exercise, except for runs beyond one hour, then I much on energy gummi blocks.  I hate drinking anything but water during runs, so I can't really do the gatorade thing.  I don't really like the gummi blocks, but I can tolerate them, and particularly during the hot weather, I can see a huge difference in how I feel if I have a gummi block every 2 miles or so.

At first, I wasn't into eating before exercise, but now that I've been doing it for a while, I'm completely used to it, I see the benefit, and I really feel rotten during and after if I *don't* eat before exercise.

Before most exercise, I typically eat a piece of whole wheat toast with honey and an apple;  or some greek yogurt, an apple, and a little granola.  Total calorie consumption is probably around 200.

Before yoga/pilates, I eat a piece of fruit, usually an apple or half a grapefruit.

Ultimately, like in most endeavors, listen to your body;  it'll tell you what you need.

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page