Team Weight Loss Challenge! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 74 Old 04-11-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Background:

I'm stealing a page out of the book of a fellow Mothering friend who started the 8-week weight-loss challenge (Thanks Milk!). I find it's always easier to lose weight when you've got healthy peer pressure keeping you honest! So, I didn't want to wait until the start of the next 8-week challenge in late May. I'm hoping there are enough of us to jump into our own 8-week challenge starting on Monday. Hope you'll join me, and thanks again to Milk for putting in all the work on this!

The challenge:

Commit to an 8-week weight loss challenge. You'll be assigned to a team, and your weight loss percentage will be measured on an individual and a team basis. The team with the highest loss percentage at the end of the 8 weeks will be the winner. This is a TEAM effort. If you lose, your team wins! Your weekly progress will be updated on the leader board for all to see each Monday.

The requirements:

You have to be willing to commit to the full 8 weeks beginning Monday, April 16, 2012.

You have to be willing to commit to exercising a minimum of 4 x 30 minute sessions per week - the type of exercise is up to you!!

You have to be willing to check in and update your progress and weight at least weekly (more often would be better).

You have to be willing to share your weight and height (starting on check-in day).

You may not join if losing 1lb/.5kg per week will put you in an underweight category according to your BMI (check here) at the end of the 8 weeks.

The prize:

A thinner waistline and the opportunity to bask int he glory of the winning team!

#2 of 74 Old 04-11-2012, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Okay. So, technically, I'd like to join... but I'm TTCing, so I may have to just be a cheerleader. I'm in my 2WW of my first TTCing cycle (this time), and DH and I have gotten pregnant on the 4th, 3rd, and 2nd cycle when trying for our other three kids. So I don't know if I'd "make it" the whole eight weeks. I don't want to "sabatoge" a team if I all of a sudden shouldn't lose weight, you know? But maybe I could join and just be a part of a team before I get a BFP, then drop out at that point with whatever weight I've managed to lose? I know it'll take some time to gather some people, and I should know by Tuesday at the latest what is happening this month, so I'll know by then if I can commit to at least four weeks or if I'm out before even beginning.

Oh and a random request... can we be something besides red and blue? Maybe green and orange? LOL. It's a silly request, I know.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

I'm a Younique Presenter. Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#3 of 74 Old 04-11-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Harmony!! First - yes, absolutely let's do something other than red and blue - too political :) Second - I don't see any problem with dropping out if need be. We can adjust the teams based on that knowledge - I'm sure we'll figure it out. I'm TTC as well, though dealing with IF so who knows when I might get pregnant :) Happy to have you join - hopefully we can get a few more ladies on board in the next week!

#4 of 74 Old 04-11-2012, 10:53 PM

Hi T - Thanks for starting the new thread. I'm excited, let's get ready to do this!!! bouncy.gifI hope we get enough participants to get started on Monday.

Hispanic hola.gifmama to my beautiful toddler princess(3/11)dust.gif and wife to the most loving man I know(5/8/10) flowersforyou.gif. We believe in yeahthat.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif gd.gif goorganic.jpg delayedvax.gif.

#5 of 74 Old 04-12-2012, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Stalking the competition... hide.gif

Just a suggestion - you could perhaps PM Poiyt & VermotLC who asked to be on our waiting list.  They might be keen.  

Also Frances69 was another that was interested.  

Me & him partners.gif and our beautiful fur boys Dukedog2.gif and Chopz dog2.gif

Forever missing our little ones lost

angel1.gif angel1.gif angel3.gif angel3.gif angel3.gif angel2.gif angel1.gif

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

#6 of 74 Old 04-14-2012, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
So... I don't think I'll be able to participate, lol.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

I'm a Younique Presenter. Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#7 of 74 Old 04-14-2012, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Yay!!! Congrats Harmony!!! I will try to PM the others Milk suggested. We may need to push back our start date to get a few more people signed up. Is that OK with everyone?? Hope you'll bear with me :)

#8 of 74 Old 04-14-2012, 09:55 PM

Hi there!!! I would love to join if there's still room!!!!

#9 of 74 Old 04-15-2012, 05:16 PM

Pushing back the starting date sounds great to me! I got the flu and feel like crap sleepytime.gif

Hispanic hola.gifmama to my beautiful toddler princess(3/11)dust.gif and wife to the most loving man I know(5/8/10) flowersforyou.gif. We believe in yeahthat.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif gd.gif goorganic.jpg delayedvax.gif.

#10 of 74 Old 04-16-2012, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

cynsule: we'd love to have you join us!

all: I think perhaps we should push back our start to try and get a few more ladies - do we want to go all the way to next Monday or start mid-week this week? Looking forward to losing some weight with you all :)

Here's who I have so far:

cynsule

vermontgirl

ambimama11

me

Thanks all!

#11 of 74 Old 04-16-2012, 11:20 AM

Got your PM - yes Id love to join :)

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#12 of 74 Old 04-17-2012, 07:00 AM
rcr

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Did you postpone the start date? I would like to join. I have been putting off loosing weight because of nearly constant IF treatments/losses for like 4 years. And I have been putting on even more weight because of the IF treatments/losses (what a cycle!). We are looking at donor embryos, and now my BMI is way too high for quality for a refund program.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#13 of 74 Old 04-17-2012, 07:12 AM

I'm game if you're still looking for team members.

#14 of 74 Old 04-17-2012, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Hey girls,

Sorry for the lack of communication! I was getting updates when people were posting in the forum, but for some reason I'm not getting the notifications anymore - ack! Yes, let's do it. How about we officially start Monday?

Would everyone mind posting (or sending me via PM) your current weight/height by Saturday? That way I have time to make up teams based on that info? I'll have limited internet access next week, but if I have all of your info by Saturday, we should be totally good to start on Monday. Sound like a plan??

So excited!!!

Thanks everyone :)

#15 of 74 Old 04-21-2012, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Just checking in! Looking forward to getting started on Monday! Please try to send me your info today either here or by PM!!! Thanks!

#16 of 74 Old 04-22-2012, 11:17 AM
rcr

Hi Teresa:

I got your pm. I will reply tonight. Sorry I am late. I actually have to go buy a scale. Oddly, I have never - ever! - dieted before. I have always been a good weight for me until I started fertility treatments. I think I am 180-ish, and 5'7''-ish from what I remember at my last doctor appointment, but I need to get a scale and have DH measure me when he gets home tonight, to be sure.

Thanks for doing this. I am excited about it.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#17 of 74 Old 04-22-2012, 02:21 PM

Hope I'm not too late. I'd love to join this! I'm 6' and currently 181.5. Also we're TTC so I may potentially need to drop out for the best of reasons smile.gif

Mama to a little man who arrived early on 7/18/10! DS2 due in October 2013.

#18 of 74 Old 04-22-2012, 06:04 PM
rcr

So apparently we do own a scale. DH told me to look under the bathroom counter, and there it was. I am 179 lbs and 5' 7".

#19 of 74 Old 04-23-2012, 03:34 AM

I would love to join! Is this starting today? (April 23)

If so, I am 5'6'' and 177 pounds. I have always been a healthy weight, lost my baby weight, etc. But have gained 30 pounds in the past few years due

to some health issues. My goal is to definitely lose weight, but I've been trying for a long time to do that and it doesn't seem to come off. So I want to focus

on exercising more in the hopes of getting healthier and if the weight comes off that will be awesome.

Thanks for starting this!

#20 of 74 Old 04-25-2012, 08:17 AM

Im 5'2" and 165.4 pounds (down 10 from when I started a few weeks back!), the medication Im on has caused me to gain 60lbs (I used to be 115) in a little over a year....time for it to come off!

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#21 of 74 Old 04-25-2012, 05:02 PM

Do we know the members of each team yet? headscratch.gif I think I started the week off not too bad. Smoothies for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, and low-fat dinners. Except for a day which my hubby invited me to have lunch at a chinese buffett...I felt guilty afterwards. 30 mins of exercise on Tuesday, and I'll go for a power walk this evening with DD. I hope to stay motivated to work out for the next 3 days, I'm already feeling exhausted from work! sleepytime.gif

#22 of 74 Old 04-26-2012, 10:03 AM

I power walk the dogs every other day, and the days inbetween, and on both weekend days I do jillian michaels 30 day shred. Im also on a calorie restriction thing - Im trying to eat 1300 a day...but man I love starbucks, its my guilty pleasure.

#23 of 74 Old 04-26-2012, 11:06 AM

That Starbucks will get you every time!
#24 of 74 Old 04-30-2012, 11:09 AM

Are we still doing this? I lost 1 pound for the week. For the month too actually. I started P90X and weaned in the same week. I think my hormones are making the weight stick for the moment even though I'm eating WAY less than before. Hopefully this week the scale will budge a bit more smile.gif

Mama to a little man who arrived early on 7/18/10! DS2 due in October 2013.

#25 of 74 Old 04-30-2012, 03:29 PM

I just saw this. Sorry ladies! I hope I can still be counted in. If we are going to actually do this, we need good communication and a leader who keeps up with this.

I lost weight since last week and I am so excited. I was 159 pounds and now I am 155 pounds!

So anyway, my weigh in for today is that I am 5'5 in height and 155 pounds.

I am feeling great! Now lets get everything organised. Do we have a leader?

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#26 of 74 Old 04-30-2012, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all,

Sorry to be absent. Trying to finish my thesis so I can graduate in three weeks ... eek. I haven't put together teams, because I don't have starting numbers for everyone. Please send along ASAP and I will divide us up. I'll put together a chart of what I have thus far tonight :) 

#27 of 74 Old 04-30-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to be checking the thread daily since it seems I don't get the alerts on a regular basis when the thread has been updated. I now have everyone's information, and I've divided us into two teams - purple and orange (feel free to let me know if you want the colors changed). There are 8 of us, so it works out nicely. Average weight of the Orange team is 164lbs and the Purple team is 174lbs (I tried to get us as close as possible, but I'm afraid my weight always throws things off). I'm looking forward to our challenge. If everyone sends me their weight today, we can count today as our first weigh-in. If not, we'll have our first weigh-in next week.

CONGRATS to vermontgirl for a 4lb loss - that's totally awesome!!! Should have put you on my team :)

Name Height Weight Week 1 Week 2 Week 3 Week 4 Week 5 Week 6 Week 7 Week 8 Lbs Lost %Lost

ambimama11

5'2" 136                    
cynsule 5'4" 139                    
Hopefulmama 5'6" 177                    
PixieLittle 6' 181.5                    
poiyt 5'2" 165.4                    
rcr 5'7" 179                    
teresaresa 5'3" 217                    
vermontgirl 5'5"

159/155

Total LBS   Total %   Total LBS   Total %          
#28 of 74 Old 04-30-2012, 04:25 PM

I'm down to 134lbs!!! slow and steady wins the race :) I hope to lose a pound a week, I feel totally motivated!

#29 of 74 Old 04-30-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Yay ambimama!!! Go PURPLE :)

#30 of 74 Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 AM

CONGRATS! I love that feeling that two pounds can make. I am still stuck at my 165....its very aggravating!

Tags
Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page