pregnant fitness help - what should I NOT do? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-13-2012, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there, 

I am 18 weeks and overweight and not overly active.  So I joined a bellyfit - bellydancing fitness class last night.  I didn't overdo it, but some of the movements were things I am unused to doing.

So now, my pelvis hurts.  When I walk or move even.  And I want to go back to that class - I like the people and the instructor, but I don't know which movements I should avoid.

Anyone here a pregnancy fitness instructor who might know which hip thrusts I should avoid?  The instructor is really well informed - but not about pregnancy.

My side abs hurt too - but I know that is normal.

Mother to a wonderful 4 year old boy born March 2007 who was once fuzmalesling.gifbfolderchild.gifdiaper.gif and still familybed1.gif

Starting once more from the beginning and  expecting bigeyes.gif a surprise someone pos.gif in September

#2 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 12:53 PM

Post exercise muscle soreness is OK, joint pain, especially prenatal or postpartum is not!

The hormones of pregnancy relax ligaments in preparation for childbirth. Ligaments provide stability to joints and since they are more lax during pregnancy, leave women more vulnerable to injury. Pelvic joints, the sacroiliac and the pubus, generally have little to no movement, and when these joints become strained, can cause significant instability and pain.

Pain felt right at the joint, leg weakness or reduced ability to walk, are signs of pelvic instability. Don't do any types of activities that cause joint pain. Look for a prenatal fitness/yoga class that has an experienced instructor. You need an instructor who is educated in prenatal exercise physiology.

Other good choices include fitness walking, ellipical, stationary or recumbent bike, stair stepper, aqua aerobics, and swimming.

BeFit-Mom

#3 of 7 Old 09-11-2012, 11:03 PM

While pregnant, you don't want to do any sporadic or dynamic movements. Since the ligaments and tendons are more relaxed, they can be easily overstrained as mentioned by be-fit-mom. For this reason, you don't want to do any moves that you haven't done before that require little focus and a lot of jerky movements. I would suggest waiting until after baby to continue with the belly dancing, especially since the teacher is unfamiliar with prenatal movements. I do recommend following a DVD or iPhone app that shows you how to correctly and safely perform beginning exercises such as Pregnant and FIT on the app store http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pregnant-and-fit!/id478614946?mt=8

#4 of 7 Old 09-12-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Turns out I had SPD which I only really pin pointed after hurting myself in that class.  I don't regret the class, it helped me learn that hip thrusts and leg lifts are bad for some pregnant women and I got the help, physio and chiro care I needed!

40 weeks now!

Mother to a wonderful 4 year old boy born March 2007 who was once fuzmalesling.gifbfolderchild.gifdiaper.gif and still familybed1.gif

Starting once more from the beginning and  expecting bigeyes.gif a surprise someone pos.gif in September

#5 of 7 Old 09-12-2012, 12:07 PM

Belly dancing originated as a method of preparing the body for childbirth. If this is something you like to do, and it makes your body feel good, than continue with it.

BeFit-Mom

#6 of 7 Old 09-12-2012, 12:12 PM

Interesting. In a way then, its good that you took the class to figure it out. That's also interesting that belly dancing was created for childbirth. It sure is sexy! ;)

Wishing you a smooth delivery! :)

#7 of 7 Old 09-12-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

I did stop - but you are right, if I hadn't taken that class I wouldn't have found out the other activities that work for other pregnant women that are bad for those with pelvic instability.  No swimming or long walks on the beach.  Belly dancing was right out!  I actively kegel to keep my pelvis stable when walking on un-even grass and I now use a cane.  Hopefully I am one of those women whose pubis goes right back to normal post-baby... but odds are because I have had it so long and it's gotten this bad, I may be in for a few months of physio afterwards too!

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page