Running through the May Flowers - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 248 Old 05-16-2012, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, dingos. I have been so out of it in so many ways. I feel like I'm crawling out from under a rock. I'm still sick. I haven't run in 10 days (and have a race in which I was hoping to do semi-well in about 10 days). I slept away my entire 6 days off. Sigh. bawling.gif

I literally slept ALL day and ALL night last Wed/Thurs/Fri, took a 2 hr nap on Saturday, and slept 4 hours during the day on Monday. And yet, I'm still sick. This sucks. I started antibiotics last Wednesday, felt slightly better but not great over the weekend, and then started getting worse again on Monday. Back to the doctor yesterday, where my rapid strep test was now negative, but I have blisters in my throat. She thinks it's now a viral infection with stomatitis (the blisters) and possibly thrush. Yeah, good times. I'm so tired of my throat hurting. She sent out a culture, but like I said, it's probably viral. I have a nasty steroid paste to put on the blisters that makes me gag, and percocet to help me sleep. I am so. over. this.

In other news, I had my first shift on my own last night, and I really didn't need to be nervous about it. They only give us two couplets for the first week, and they were really pretty easy couplets. Vaginal deliveries, both bottle feeding. I seriously felt kind of guilty at times because I was just sitting around with nothing to do. All my assessments and charting were done, both babies were fed, moms were sleeping...I guess I shouldn't complain because I'm sure my time for crazy work shifts is coming!

XFIL and XSMIL have been in town this week, and it's been good, but a little crazy. Especially with me not feeling the best and working. They kept DS at the hotel last night while I was at work, so that was cool. DS has been having so much fun with them (especially grandpa), but tonight is the first night he's been in bed close to on time all week. He is so tired. They leave tomorrow, so we'll be back to normal, hopefully!

Tomorrow: really hoping my throat is feeling a bit better so I can maybe get a run in. fingersx.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#122 of 248 Old 05-16-2012, 07:23 PM

Hope you feel better, Gaye! I'm with you on the sick thing. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#123 of 248 Old 05-16-2012, 09:43 PM

Gaye and Nic, hoping you both feel better very, very soon.

Plady, I'm sending out the strongest vibes that the lymph node is just your body fighting something minor and very much not serious. I think the body composition results are terrific, but can see how once you have hard data there might be the temptation to try to transform and re-assess. Or just to rest on your laurels :) I saw your recent reno photos, and you look great!

RR- Mowed the front lawn this evening and that. is. all. I'm really missing Tuesday night bootcamps, because without them the beginning of the week so often suffers from a lack of exercise. Tomorrow there will be a trail run, though I'm running alone instead of with the group because they're doing a flat course that's a 25 minute drive from home and I'd rather run hills near home.

NRR- I survived the second day of midterm skill testing today, which is truly my least favourite part of the job. I would choose marking a stack of papers instead in an instant.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#124 of 248 Old 05-16-2012, 11:09 PM

Plady, i'm with Mel. Thinking as many positive thoughts as I can manage!

MelW, I do see a lot of ladies here wearing light, white gloves out in public. I don't know if it's due to allergy

Nic and Gaye, I'm sorry the bugs hit you both so hard. Sounds like you've both run yourselves down. Some serious, stress-free down time is in order, and I hope you both have some soon.

All-about-me post begin:

On the shipping death thing, it is always a risk, but the airline I am using for the long leg really does specialize in animal moving (of all kinds) and pets have a dedicated temp-controlled area in the front part of the cargo hold. I'll drop him at 4AM and he will go into a temp-controlled holding area before flight and animals are off-loaded with priority. So there's probably a 2-hour window of concern, temp-wise, but we depart before it really starts to heat up so I feel all right about that. It's just the whole clearing customs and making the connection I worry about. Time. I hate trying to beat clocks. I once slept with an 18mo on the floor of LaGuardia. disappointed.gif

And, dh is now not going along. So, where it would have been an option to split up in JFK, it now is not. Cat will be delivered to a cargo building, not the baggage claim area. Kids and I have to clear immigration, claim bags, clear customs, check bags, cab to cargo, claim cat and clear customs, cab back to the right terminal, check cat and make it on the plane. We have 3 hours to do this, and we land at peak time on a holiday weekend. uhoh3.gif And remember, I don't drink. Otherwise, I might.

But before all that can happen, I had to, for the second time, reschedule the movers and the utilities cut-off and final billing. Because we thought we all would fly, I scrambled to make sure all paperwork would be done pre-departure. Now, with dh staying, he can do utilities and lease stuff after we go. So we have electricity right up until we leave. At least I don't have to board the cat or find a cat-friendly hotel (do they exist?). 

I don't yet know how we will get from ORD back home, or exactly where we should end up, since it will be around midnight when we get there. But that is so totally minor. Transporting the cat is my main concern, period.

OK. That's off my chest. I am dealing better with the anxiety now that I am sugar/grain/dairy/bean-free. You mamas would be so proud. I can say things like "I am anxious, I am nervous," walk myself through fears and realize none of them are really so bad. Pretty cool. BTW, I am down 17lb since I started the Whole 30 (26lb since we moved into this house). Plady, I am nowhere near your perfectly good BF%, but I've dropped more than 4 BMI points and I look a heck of a lot better in those pants I couldn't pull over my butt before. thumb.gif

RR: Bet you didn't think there was any. But I am apparently in a 5-mile habit now. I did some more walking post beach walk yesterday, and even birks bother me now for walking. Uh-oh. Need barefoot shoes. Probably walked about 7mi total yesterday, and 4.5mi this AM. I will do my strength and stretching a little later this AM, and clean the house.

#125 of 248 Old 05-17-2012, 04:57 AM

Whew, Jo, that sounds exhausting just reading about it. So proud of you for the Whole30. If I was in a different place right now emotionally and physically I might try it, but the way things are I just need to maintain as I go... sigh. The legumes and dairy is the hardest thing for me and I'm not sure I can go there financially or food wise but maybe it's worth a try someday. I'm glad you're feeling so much better physically and emotionally.

Plady, praying.gif everything is fine for you. grouphug.gif

Gaye, hope you feel better soon.

After 24 hours on Prednisone, Advair, and a Zpac, I might be starting to feel human again. The Prednisone is just a very short term (3 days) until the Advair really kicks in and the Zpac is to deal with the bronchitis. I had to take my Albuterol yesterday and it makes me feel awful so I don't like doing it. I'm hoping to get a run in if not this afternoon, maybe tomorrow...just a little bit. I feel like I'm making my way out from lying under an elephant.

Off to my .. meeting ... today. Sigh. greensad.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#126 of 248 Old 05-17-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

Kids and I have to clear immigration, claim bags, clear customs, check bags, cab to cargo, claim cat and clear customs, cab back to the right terminal, check cat and make it on the plane. We have 3 hours to do this, and we land at peak time on a holiday weekend. uhoh3.gif And remember, I don't drink. Otherwise, I might.

At least I don't have to board the cat or find a cat-friendly hotel (do they exist?).

Think about the speed and clear-thought advantage over everyone on that flight who does drink!  You'll make it.  I'm sure you'll have explained the steps to your kids too so maybe they can think of it as a game to see how smoothly they can move through the steps?  As far as cat friendly hotels, I don't know about over there but here La Quinta, Comfort Inns, and Motel 6s are all good for traveling with cats.  When we came up from Mexico we never had a problem with our cat staying with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

If I was in a different place right now emotionally and physically I might try it, but the way things are I just need to maintain as I go... sigh.

Off to my .. meeting ... today. Sigh. greensad.gif

You'll get to that place, you're on the path.  I hope the meds continue to improve your breathing, I wish you could call in sick to your meeting though. 

Gaye - I hope you start to feel better asap too.  It sounds awful!  I wouldn't worry about training so much until you're actually healthy again.  You're the girl who smokes her unprepared-for races anyway right?

MelW - Any chance you could get together independently with some of the other boot camp parents and do version of it at a playground or somewhere that the kids can play while you all do intervals?  Our boxing class my go on break for much of the summer and we're all trying to be brave and think of ways to keep our fitness up so that may be what happens here. 

Busy day ahead here and I'm trying to not obsess over the worst-case scenarios. 

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#127 of 248 Old 05-17-2012, 06:43 AM

Jooj ~ I wish I lived further north in Illinois!  I would totally pick up your kids and sweet cat in Chicago and host you for a night if I did.  I really hope the cat can come with you.  He looks like he would be much happier in a cool midwestern climate than in Dubai with all that furriness.  And a huge joy.gif to you for such a successful Whole30.  I am on Day 16 myself and feeling so much better.  It's funny how I don't really get super-hungry when I eat this way.  Yesterday I had breakfast at 8 and didn't feel like lunch until 3:30.  I think it has to do with all the fat and protein.   

Gaye and Nic ~ I hope both of you feel better.  And Nic, stay strong for that meeting!  We'll be with you in spirit grouphug.gif.

RR ~ nope, way too busy for even a walk these days greensad.gif.

NRR ~ Field Day for grades 3-5 today, yesterday I worked it for grades K-2.  Fun, but exhausting at the same time.  And I got a nasty sunburn, in spite of applying sunscreen beforehand.  Okay, I'm a bad, bad Mama ~  DS has had perfect attendance this year with no tardies, no absences, nothing.  He will get a perfect attendance award at the assembly tomorrow.  And this morning he threw up.  But wanted to go to school anyway.  And I let him bag.gif.  I hope and pray he makes it through the day without further incidence.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#128 of 248 Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Okay, I'm a bad, bad Mama ~  DS has had perfect attendance this year with no tardies, no absences, nothing.  He will get a perfect attendance award at the assembly tomorrow.  And this morning he threw up.  But wanted to go to school anyway.  And I let him bag.gif.  I hope and pray he makes it through the day without further incidence.

Nah! With my kids, if they felt better after throwing up and had no other symptoms, it was probably only a tummy upset. 

And kudos to you on the double field days. thumb.gif

Jo - peaceful travels!! Things will hopefully be much smoother than expected. It will be over before you know it. (P.S. drinking doesn't help much!)

Gaye, oh my goodness, that sounds terrible!! You must have been so sick and exhausted to have slept that much. Take it easy ramping back up.

Mel, enjoy that trail run! Sounds lovely.

goodvibes.gifPlady. Hopefully just fighting off something.

Just got back from getting a haircut, which feels great. My dad is arriving later today, so I have about 1.5 hours to whip this place into shape and make the guest beds. I stupidly did all the sheets in the guest bedroom (4 beds!!) and now have to make them all back up. Should have just done one for my dad and left the others. Doh! Then laundry, vacuum, pick up kids, piano lessons... and he should be here!

RR: I did a 9 mile run with hills yesterday, my longest in quite a while. I am trying to follow the 80-10-10 rule from Matt Fitzgerald, 80 percent slow miles, 10 percent tempo and 10 percent intervals. I haven't worked it out exactly in terms of my weekly mileage, but I definitely keep my interval workouts to 1 short one per week, and try to keep most of the other mileage slow. Long runs also incorporate Galloway-style walk breaks, which help to keep them slower.

Off to make beds!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#129 of 248 Old 05-17-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Gaye - stress much? That sounds terrible!! I hope you get some relief very soon, and Im with Plady - dont sweat the training, you will be fine! goodvibes.gif

Jo - clap.gif Well done. I think 3 hours will be enough, although I can imagine the anticipation of the logistics creating some monkey mind. And I think hotels these days are pretty accepting of pets - I would think non-permitance would be the exception and not the rule

JG - That is a lot going on. Dont worry about the lack of exercise routine as the year winds down. It will come when summer starts. You are always really good about being active with your kids in the summer

Plady - Your saga with DD reminded me that I was in her shoes at that age. I was the liar - I told a lie about another kid (it was more of an embellished story) to entertain a group of kids on the bus because it made me feel liked, and then when they found out it wasnt true, they ostracized me. The person I told the story about didnt though. Long story short, I felt like a big jerk, and really learned who my friends were and what kind of person I wanted to be. And Im none the worse for wear now. hug.gif as you make your way through it. It sucks to be IN it at the time, but this too shall pass

RR: yeah, right

NRR: Ive been manic trying to get the new house ready as we try to negotiate the sale of this house, and still try to manage my kids' lives. Ive been driving all over creation to find paint colors and then driving all over creation to take the kids where they need to go, and trying to squeeze in my 2 meditation sessions and some food every day, oh, and trying to grocery shop and cook. Im painting the dining room turqoise, and its very hard to find a shade that is soothing yet still happy. I know, life is tough lol.gif

Last night, dinner time, DS slammed his finger in the door. By 10pm he was wailing in bed b/c it hurt so much he couldnt sleep. Dh ended up running home from work with supplies to A. do a nerve block on the finger ( a shot on either side of the finger near the knuckle), and B. burn a hole through his finger nail w/ a heated metal wire, but all very quickly so that Dh could rush back to work. DS screamed at the top of his lungs while it was happening, but he did it. Blood spurted out, drained. We bandaged it and DS slept fine for the rest of the night.... That kid, always has to learn the hard way (NO playing with doors!)

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#130 of 248 Old 05-17-2012, 02:20 PM
bec

Geeze, Sparkle!  The trauma of being a doctor's son, indeed!

Nic - hug2.gif

Jo - If my husband wasn't deathly allergic to cats, I would host you and your feline for the night!  But, if you need help in negotiating O'Hare (like needing to be in 2 places at once), let me know!

Gaye - I hope you are feeling better.

Nice run - Mel!

I am planning 10 miles for tomorrow.  But, I also need to clean my house, get ready for the dance recital this weekend, and I'm wanting to go look at and maybe buy a wet suit!  So much to do!

Kristina - I would have done the same thing if my kid puked once and was fine.bag.gif

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#131 of 248 Old 05-17-2012, 07:20 PM

Mel38, I bet you got it all done. love.gif And met him with a big smile on your face. Or you just threw spreads over the remaining three beds. winky.gif

sparkle, yeah, those are the big problems. But I know what you mean, looking for calm but not outright...blue...turquoise. Samples on the wall, though. You never know how the light in the house and woodwork will interact with it. Good luck. And I had to laugh at the thought of dh rushing home to "fix a mess" like ds's finger. No playing with doors, indeed.

JayGee and bec, you ladies are the best. Driver arrangements are being made for ORD to home. They have a fleet of minivans and retired corporate employees drive. It's a nice system.

And JayGee, it is definitely the fat and protein, but I've been logging my food on fitday, and I can tell you, it has to be the fat. I am usually getting about 50% of my cals from fat, 35% protein, and 15% (sometimes less) from carbs. I something went down last night (PMS) and I ate raisins and an apple. Felt odd to do, but how bad can a woman feel about raisins and an apple?

I've sent an email to the JFK end to let them know my connecting flight and time, and I plan to let cabin crew staff know my plight en route to JFK, so if there is a way to deplane us with priority (OMG did I mention it's an A380?!) I will beg for it, just to get into the immigration line quicker. Kids will need to have carry-on bags as small as possible and mine straps on pretty securely as it's a bike messenger. All documents are in a file folder, special notes/instructions on note cards. Trying to be organized like crazy. Only not crazy.

Here's another thing: I won't have a phone. I have a pay as you go plan here, and don't yet have a SIM card for US. How hard do you think it will be, in the case that I do need to get in touch with someone, to borrow a phone from a stranger? Non-Dingo stranger at JFK or ORD.

Once I finish coffee this AM, I am going out for 8mi on the beach. It's hot. It's Friday.

#132 of 248 Old 05-17-2012, 07:30 PM

Healing for tjsmama, plady & nic-- goodvibes.gif

Plady--hope the lymph node issue turns out to be nothing serious.

tjsmama--hope you feel better soon. You'll have company during the race no matter what. smile.gif

MelW--glad you got through the skill testing and hope you have a good hilly run.

1jooj--kudos to you for all of that. We've only flow internationally once, and I remember it involved sprinting to United's C concourse at O'Hare thanks to a late plane and slow immigrations/baggage claim/customs. The irony was that when we got there, the gate agent told us we were the first of about 20 passengers connecting from our flight to the Denver one. Would have been nice if someone could have mentioned they were holding the plane.... Good luck with it all. FWIW, O'Hare's always been nice and quiet around midnight, save for the occasional space where a plane just arrived. Hopefully that will make it easier.

Nic--hopefully the meds will kick in so that you can avoid any more albuterol doses. I've had times where it makes me feel a bit jumpy when I pre-treat, but then I go for a run and that seems to take care of it.

Mel38--sounds like a great run.

sparkle--ouch for your DS!

RR: 6 miles. Ratio of miles run to hours of sleep: 2/1. (Or should that be miles ran? It always trips me up.)

NRR: submitted the revised article last night. joy.gif Fingers crossed that the reviewers like the revisions. Planted my tomato seedlings today. I managed to squeeze 11 in the garden. Tonight: all sorts of random tasks and hopefully also some R&R. Tomorrow: volunteering at field day, with the associated QOTD: does it make me a freak if I want to wear my Garmin in case there's actual running involved? bag.gif

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#133 of 248 Old 05-17-2012, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Seeking Dingoes advice: how hot is "extremely hot" running weather? Newly pregnant (5 weeks today) and I'm signed up for a 5k tomorrow/half marathon saturday. I wasn't planning on setting any records and I'm definitely not planning to push myself to pain and exhaustion now, but watching the forecast for tomorrow they're estimating 89*F at race time. Of all the days to set a record high. Saturday is going to be much better, estimated 70 at start of race dropping to 55-60 by the time I'd be done. Is 3 miles at almost 90*F considered running in "extremely hot weather?" 80s seem hot to me, but then I wonder if extremely hot means Arizona 120-but-its-a-dry-heat hot. Or maybe I'll get lucky and the weather man is wrong as per usual and the cold front will come early.

fairy.gif (DSD 10yo) angel2.gif (29wks - 2/2012) babygirl.gifrainbow1284.gif (1/2013)

#134 of 248 Old 05-18-2012, 12:03 AM

Autumngrey, it would be different if it were already summer and you were used to rising temps. That's hot. I'd consider walking or skipping the 5K and enjoying the half. JMO. shrug.gif And watch the hydration.

real, joy.gif for sending off the article! And I personally don't think it makes you a freak. I'm often curious to know how much mileage I put on some days, and I wish I were wearing a Garmin. I thought about just that for next year, to see how living in an urban center impacts our foot mileage.

RR: 8.5 beach miles this AM, followed by a cooling dip in the Persian Gulf. Ahhh.

Also heartened that cat is enjoying taking naps in his travel crate.

#135 of 248 Old 05-18-2012, 05:47 AM
bec

Autumngrey - My judgement is not always the soundest when it comes to races.  I would consider walking it, though.  At most, maybe plan a run/walk (say 2 minute run, 1 minute walk?) and go from there.  LOTS of water.  Bring it with you. 

I'm all dressed to run.  Just looking for my motivation.  I think the kids hid it under the couch.  Gonna check there.

#136 of 248 Old 05-18-2012, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Bec - If you see mine under there, could you send it West

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#137 of 248 Old 05-18-2012, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Autumngrey, 89 in May is a lot different than 89 in August.  If you've been running in heat for a while, that would be a hot race, but doable.  As others have said, I'd go with no commitment to running.  Leave the watch at home.  Make no time goal and make no goal on how much you run.  Go minute-by-minute according to how you feel.  Start drinking more water today.  Plan on hitting each water stop.  Also, if there's shade on the route, take a path that hits all the shade.

We finally got DD's draft IEP.  These things are supposed to have "present levels of performance" in them, and goals based on the present levels.  It's a pretty laughable document when you recall that they haven't actually measured DD's reading level since kindergarten.  Targets made on erroneous data are not useful.  And none of the social stuff made it in.  It's really hard to learn when you wear a bullying bullseye on your back.  <Sigh>  I've got a meeting scheduled with the advocate today, and hopefully we can get this stuff nailed down.

jooj, finding someone to loan you a cellphone should be no big deal.  I've done it a handful of times, and it's never been an issue.  Just find someone who looks like they get the traveling with kids thing and likely has an unlimited minutes plan. 

#138 of 248 Old 05-18-2012, 11:03 AM
bec

I think I found my motivation in the car (must have left it there).  No sign of my mojo, though.  With all that, though, I am happy to report that I did get 10 miles in.  10 pretty ugly miles, but miles none the less!

#139 of 248 Old 05-18-2012, 04:07 PM

Hi mamas.

So, good day. Really good day.

I went for a run today and went 6.3 miles. After one pretty gross (sorry) phlegm hurl, I was fine. I went very slowly, left the watch at home, and stopped to walk on all the hills. My lungs did fine and although I'm still coughing it doesn't seem like I really irritated anything. I needed that, man. Wow.

Then dh and I had a talk where I made some progress. Not enough, but some, and enough to give me a glimpse of hope. I stood up for myself and really made it clear how I feel and it was ok. I didn't get exactly the response I wanted but I got an opening, and that is a positive step. 

I also got two job offers. I was offered a teaching job at the Jewish high school (not administrative, just teaching) -- 4 periods a day. Downside -- it's a hefty commute and not full time. Upside -- it's doing what I love, teaching what I love, to high school (much preferred for me!) and has the potential to turn full time in a year or so when the other history teacher retires. Another upside -- it's not full time. I will still have time to do my writing/publishing/consulting on the side, and although I might get home a bit after the kids (have to work that out) I won't be out all day. Job 2 -- administrative and teaching job at the community day school (also Jewish) near my house. Only upside -- it's next door. Also slightly better money. Downsides -- I don't want this job. I don't want to teach younger kids particularly, and the administrative aspect is not appealing to me in this scenario as there are a lot of vibes and politics going on with religious outlooks, etc. on the board and the school itself is very much in flux. And I don't want to come under the pressure I certainly will come under to put all my kids in the school; I'd want to maintain autonomy to make decisions for my kids' education independent of my job. That wouldn't happen especially since at the moment my kids are in the 'competition' school eyesroll.gif and although I have many issues with it, they are happy for the most part and want to stay. So.

I took the teaching job. Less logical maybe, certainly less renumerative at least for a while and definitely worse for the environment. But much better for me professionally and frankly emotionally. I want to be with and teach people I can talk to and I just like high school so much more.

So that was my day. How was yours? orngbiggrin.gif

#140 of 248 Old 05-18-2012, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

joy.gif Nic. That sounds wonderful! Im so happy for you. You deserve a day like this. It's the beginning ...

#141 of 248 Old 05-18-2012, 06:21 PM

Nic - Congrats!  That's the way to do it!

Geo - Argh!  I'm hating your school for you right now.  You all must be so exhausted from all the runaround and stupidity and general uselessness.

Sparkle - I love the dr/dh high tech method for wound care! 

Autumn - Congrats on the new pregnancy!  I'd probably plan to walk it too and only break into a slow jog if it turns out to be cooler than expected. 

Bec - 10 miles is still TEN miles.  10 mojo-less miles are especially long.

Real - "RR: 6 miles. Ratio of miles run to hours of sleep: 2/1. (Or should that be miles ran? It always trips me up.)" wild.gif

RR: Nope, but doing all of the farm chores plus as many house chores as I could fit in the day certainly wasn't sitting around time so I'm counting it as better than nothing.

NRR: Saw the dr. Was hoping she'd take a feel and say, "Oh that? (laughs) that's nothing to worry about you just wasted your copay $!"  But instead she set me up for an ultrasound on Wed.  But I actually think the node is smaller today than it was yesterday so that has to be good.  But, continuing to cross my fingers for nothing to worry about.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#142 of 248 Old 05-18-2012, 06:52 PM

And fingers definitely still crossed, Plady. And toes and legs and eyes. 

Geo, I can't believe the fight you are having to put up on dd's behalf. This is truly ridiculous. You're amazing. I'd have turned my back on the situation and shut down, I believe.

bec, agreed with P. Mojo or no, 10 is a long run. No mojo, even longer. Well done.

I am losing my mind and trying really hard not to crumple. I think I now have the cat thing in hand, but am really disappointed that dh's plans got changed and he won't be coming--and may not be able to make it to US all summer, due to demands here. His "schedule" keeps changing, but now he may not even be here for the full day we leave, which is also the day the movers are scheduled to come. So, we will try to pack all we can and have it ready to roll for movers to just load and leave, so maybe he can make it to the place 400km away where he is supposed to be that day. If not, he may oversee what he can, vaguely threaten, and disappear. He will be in the desert all summer, it looks like. I don't think we told the kids yet, because it can all change, I don't want to tell them anything until we know.

Tomorrow is ds's bday, so in the spirit of doing things I hate for other people's enjoyment, we are going to Atlantis the Palm today to their waterpark--which I have to admit, looks pretty cool, and we can almost afford, considering they have a special deal for residents. Slides that go through transparent tunnels through shark tanks. OK. Dd bought him a new Lego set and I think I will send candy bars for a treat. This is called total capitulation, I think. Oh, and AF just showed up. Wants in on all the fun, looks like. Whoopee.

Therefore, no RR planned for today. Instead, I will try to preserve my back on the whitewater slide.

#143 of 248 Old 05-19-2012, 05:46 AM

Nic, I totally meant to post that I probably would have made the same choice as you, for much the same reasons. First, take a long(ish) view, because that is the best course. Second, you know best how you would be affected by politics and all that, and you know which environment (littles or older kids) you prefer. It really can't always be purely about the money, because if the details of the job wear you down enough that you can't go on, well, then there's no money at all. Well done, mama.

Yep, spent a few hours at Atlantis. Cross that off the list.

#144 of 248 Old 05-19-2012, 05:53 AM

Nic - congratulations on the job! The successful talk with DH! And the nice run! You deserve it, big time.

Plady - Hoping that it is all nothing...

Jooj - I am so sorry your DH won't be there to help out with the move. It will happen though, and be fine, and in a few weeks you will be relaxing in the cool summer breezes of WI!

RR - must run today, for no other reason than to restore sanity.

NRR - yesterday morning was the Geography Bee (DD was in it, and did well), then library stuff to prep for next year, then two awards assemblies, followed by DS's final soccer game last night. Tonight we are hosting a party for 40+, and tomorrow I can rest. Until Wednesday, when my parents arrive for a 2 week visit. Oh, and there is no way DS and I will be running that 5K tomorrow, so take us off the race list, please. We will find a new race when I am less overwhelmed.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#145 of 248 Old 05-19-2012, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yay Nic! I agree with you and the others that you made the right choice. I've fallen in love with listening to books on tape while driving. Our library has a huge collection. Each step towards independence shoukld give you confidence and make those discussions easier.

5 miles this morning, strength training at the track, then soccer practice (i ran hard for 40 min of a scrimmage), then weeded. I'm toast.
#146 of 248 Old 05-19-2012, 09:20 AM

nic~That absolutely sounds like the right choice for you! And hooray for some (very minor) progress with your H.

geo~How frustrating. Your DD is so lucky to have such a determined advocate in her corner. There are so many parents who would have given up fighting a long time ago.

jo~hug.gif That just sucks about your DH.

As for me, I'm better, but not well. No word back from the dr on my throat culture, so I'm assuming it didn't show anything. I do still have the blisters in my throat, but at least they're less painful. And I still have crazy drainage down the back of my throat. I have no idea what kind of nasty bug I have, but it is not fun at all. I'm over it. I went to the Rockies game with friends last night, and was so exhausted from it that I came home right after the game instead of heading out to the bars. Oh well, that was a good thing for my wallet, I guess.

I got my run in on Thursday, and it felt shockingly good. So good that instead of turning around to go 3 miles, I ended up doing my full 4.5 mile neighborhood run. I was all set to go dash and dine this morning, but it's stormy and I woke up feeling cruddy again and figured that running in the rain was probably not the best choice, so I think we'll stay home and have a lazy day. Especially since I work tonight and tomorrow night. Who needs exercise anyway, right? rolleyes.gif

I did get motivated enough to get my balcony garden planted last week. We've got peppers (sweet and hot), peas, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, salad mix, strawberries, and a whole bunch of herbs and flowers.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#147 of 248 Old 05-19-2012, 06:13 PM

Congrats, Nic!!!!!

Posting from my phone on the ferry home from a visit with my sister in Vancouver. We went to a CD launch, got up on stage and sang with the band, and today had brunch and a trip to the Museum of Anthropology. More later or tomorrow, I hope....

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#148 of 248 Old 05-19-2012, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thanks for the advice ladies. It was as hot as expected on Friday, so we took a slow pace for the 5k--46:33. There were 9500 runners so it was fun to just participate. Today was much more pleasant, about 60 degrees. I ended up running the half with a friend of a friend who was doing his first half marathon, so I had company and someone to keep me from going too gung ho--2:45:06. Overall a fun race weekend, I'm glad I didn't bow out altogether.

fairy.gif (DSD 10yo) angel2.gif (29wks - 2/2012) babygirl.gifrainbow1284.gif (1/2013)

#149 of 248 Old 05-20-2012, 03:23 AM

Glad you had a couple of great events, autumngrey! thumb.gif

My ds is 11 today. We're not having the very best birthday. Somehow, his homework from over the weekend, which I watched him complete, disappeared. Just *poof* gone. I don't know who threw it out, but for once it absolutely WAS NOT me. Teacher is cutting him a break and letting him re-do with only one point off, instead of the 5 he would otherwise suffer. Also, last week he somehow had to take an open-book test without a book, because he had to return all his materials early. The result was a disaster, and ds is re-taking the test this week. Apparently, teacher forgot he had no book and he was afraid to ask for one. eyesroll.gif His class has a musical this week, too. Two performances, one on his final day at school. Poor kid. I'm really feeling for him.

And I don't know when we'll make it clear to the kids that dh is not coming home with us. Of course I won't let on yet that we probably won't see him until autumn. Because who knows, right? There's a chance he could make it to US. Ugh. I really am thankful, though, so incredibly, incredibly grateful, that I will have this summer surrounded by loving friends and family for my single-parenting stint, unlike last summer's fiasco in Dubai. I almost cry thinking about it. And I hope he gets a chance to come in August. We'll see.

My very first totally spontaneous interaction with a local happened today. Yes, today, 370 days after arriving in the country. This points to a couple of things:

1. Locals are a very, very small minority. You have a 9 to 1 chance of interacting with an expat over a local.

2. With the exception of locals employed in bureaucratic positions, and traffic, there is very little actual social interaction between local and non-local populations.

3. This is not an overtly friendly kind of place, so an offhand "hello" almost knocks you over.

That said, there is a gentleman who runs on the beach in the AMs when I am out there, and we always make a point of saying good morning. Today, he stopped me to comment on my weight. Sheepish.gif In a nice way, I mean. He'd noticed that I'd lost weight since he'd seen me out there, so we discussed fitness and weight loss a little and I was on my way with a "see you tomorrow." Of course it was nice to have a stranger start a conversation with, "Have you lost weight?" But it was also nice to just have a local say hi. He had assumed I was British and wanted to ask about my skin color, too. As in, I am too tan to be British. (Obviously, Brits of South Asian, African and other descents were not taken into consideration.) Anyway. A local talked to me today. That was nice.

And I walked 5 miles, did my strength exercises and cleaned the house. This week's focus is on getting the kids through each school day and its demands, one by one. Also, a vet visit for the cat, a haircut for me tomorrow, and the rest of the packing. I can do this.

#150 of 248 Old 05-20-2012, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

I am possessed with the color blue/green in all its iterations. I have pored over the internet for a week, studying pictures and reading blogs (of which there are a shocking ton, all about the search for a particular color paint, but now that Im trying to achieve it, I understand), and have a counter-top full of samples ranging from mint to a dark almost fern. I have containers labeled #1, #2, etc. of combinations that I have concocted with the samples. I'm pretty sure I will end up spending more on samples than the paint itself. I have two more samples to get, and I swear if neither of those works, I will just paint it white and maybe try again next summer faint.gif If you google Rainwashed by Sherwin Williams or Palladian Blue by Ben Moore, you will see what I mean about the search... I'm getting rainwashed today (yes Sherwin Williams is open on Sunday, for the possessed like me).

We spent a few hours at the new house yesterday, trying to move an enormous fridge out from where it is set in the cabinetry, so the floor guys can lay the floor under it. Its a "sub-zero" fridge, and whoa nelly, it is big and heavy.

But the reason I bring up the new house yesterday is to say that the kids spent most of the time running around with the neighbor kids, and it reminded me, in a bad way, of that year in DE where I was always out front monitoring play, or keeping track of kids. I dont want to be patrolling the neighborhood all. the. time. Then last night we went to a party at a friends who lives in the valley (i.e along the river, where they have water rights = lush yard) - and their yard had a zip line, chickens, goats, swings... So, I realized from this that we need lots of kid-friendly acoutrement to attract the kids to play in our yard, where I can sit (with my mojito) on the back porch and supervise winky.gif

All this to say, I have not even gone on a walk in over a month. I need to find this paint color yesterday! lol.gifdisappointed.gif

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page