Running through the May Flowers - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2012, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This entire post is a bit backwards because of crazy computer/MDC formatting issues. But the day was overall challenging because of yet another serious relationship conversation, my husband asking for more support while he navigates a very difficult  weeks-long bout of depression/anxiety, plus the ped and looming possible diagnosis for the youngest (see below). I'm exhausted and didn't make my run this evening, but managed to do my 100-weeds Geo-style. If all goes well tomorrow morning I might fit in a run before work, and otherwise will do evening run and/or bootcamp. Race Sunday. 

It's a quiet day in dingoland (or more likely a too-busy-to-post day!) We saw the ped today, who want to do some testing for lupus. So tomorrow I take a three year old for blood and urine tests in the morning before preschool. Wish me luck! Formatting is being crazy

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 PM

Oh gosh Mel!  Sending luck and all the healthy vibes toward you!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 05-24-2012, 10:43 PM

MelW--hope you get answers and it turns out to be something fairly benign.

Plady--the Obama fitness challenge sounds fun, as does your hike.

sparkle--I think I could fall asleep on most any floor, anytime. It's not sad, it's a useful tactic for squeezing in a little more. wink1.gif

1jooj--thinking of you as you complete the last minute stuff and fly.

Nick--that's a lot of beans. I'm impressed.

BBM--that's a sweet story.

RR: quick 3 after school. Was supposed to be writing but oh well.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 05-25-2012, 06:39 AM

MelW - oh dear! I hope the tests for your DD can help figure out what's happening.

Plady - I like your movement challenge too! Sounds like a great hike.

Sparkle - I can sleep like that too! I think it is a good skill to have wink1.gif.

RR - just a short hike yesterday with my kids and parents. Pilates this morning, and then a day at the Botanical Gardens.

NRR - my parents are here and we are having fun. My kids love visiting with their grandparents.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 05-25-2012, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mel, I hope the tests turn up nothing. How stressful.

I fear I've crossed the line into obsession with the weeds, thing. I'm now doing 100 before work, and then DD and I spend an hour in the evening. DD and I have really been enjoying the time, though, so it's all good. Except for the weeds. They aren't good. We still have no problems at all locating weeds to pull, either.

I love the idea of family exercise every day!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:29 PM

Mel I hope everything works out okay!

Geo - I've been doing the weeding thing, but not counting. If I started counting I would get totally obsessive.

Last nights track work out was awesome.  It's pitiful how hard it was for me and it feels weird since it's my high school coach.  So knowing what I could do with ease then compared to now...embarrassing and yet not.  I'm the only adult female out there trying to hustle around the track.  There are some other women who are racewalking, which looks hard! But that's it.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I cheated when it came to weeding. dh did a lot of it and then we covered half of our yard with newspaper and a thick, thick layer of mulch. It looks a lot better! I still have a few plants left to tuck in but I feel more hopeful about the garden this year since I have since we moved into this house 7+ years ago.

Actually got some exercise today - walked 7 km and rode my bike 5 km. My hand aches after the bike ride so I might take it easy on that for a few more days. Still, it felt good to move. I was also remembering the days when my kids were pre-schoolers and I would sneak sets of push ups and sit-ups in when I went to the bathroom, just to fit the exercise in when I could. I have started what I call my kitchen-yoga-practice. It isn't the same as a focused yoga workout or ritual but I can do a fair bit by the end of the day if I do a pose every time I am waiting for the kettle to boil or I am on hold on the telephone. Weird? Yes, but weird works for me so it's good enough.

It is hard to believe ds is the same kid I was so scared for a little over a week ago. The drug is out of his system now and even though he is still having a fair bit of seizure activity he is happy, full of energy and enthusiasm and joy for life again. I am beyond grateful.Turns out the referral to the neurologist never made it though so six weeks later I had to call the pediatrician and ask him to send it again. This is the kind of phone call when kitchen-yoga comes in handy. This is after the referral that was supposed to made after his first EEG in October that we never received a call back on. I will be on this one very closely next week!

This morning I was asked to cater for a 50th birthday party at the end of June. I am excited! It won't be high pressure which is great because I haven't done something quite like this before. I love, love, love to cook and have been having a great time coming up with suggestions to offer. I had a couple of other pieces of work come my way this week which is a huge relief. Every little bit helps, right?

Mel - thinking of you   hug.gif

Old 05-25-2012, 04:53 PM

Shanti - What a relief for both you and ds!

Just checking in to send some more healthy vibes towards Mel's dd.

RR: As Day 2 of Family Fitness challenge, dd1 and I did 30 minutes of intervals.  She cried through much of it.  Why?  I'm not sure, a combination of friend stress, worry about her grandmother, who knows what else, maybe just not wanting to exercise?  Now that it is done (I'm letting her count her two receses toward the 60 minutes) she's fine. eyesroll.gif  Meanwhile dd2 is very slightly warmer than normal so she's still in her pjs and watching tv.  DH is doing yardwork.  

I've been fighting grumpy mad sadness all day so I think I'm going to go take it out on the weeds for an hour or so.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:48 PM

Hooray, shanti! joy.gif Glad DS is taking a turn for the better!

plady~hug.gif

mel~Hope the testing all goes well.

The beauty of container gardening...no (or very few) weeds to pull!

I'm coming off of two night shifts and practically no sleep. sleeping.gif Yesterday was the kindergarten picnic from 10-noon, so I got 2 hours of sleep on either side of that, then today was the kindergarten celebration (aka graduation), followed by a picnic at the park and a doctor appt, so I squeezed in 3 hours of sleep before waking up in a panic remembering that I needed to elect benefits before open enrollment closes today. A friend is having a party tonight, which should be fun, but I'm also on call and going on very little sleep over the past few days. The prospect of being called in is horrifying, but I think (hope) that I'm safe. We did use our on-call person last night, but there were 9 couplets scheduled to discharge today, so I think it would have to be a crazy run on babies to get me called in. Don't get me wrong, the money would be awesome, but the prospect of being up all night on 3 hours of sleep and 4 yesterday is not so pleasant.

I'm feeling a little better. My throat is no longer sore, and my gums don't hurt as much, but are definitely still inflamed. The rash that I thought was a reaction to the antibiotic that I finished a week ago spread like crazy yesterday, so I went back to the doctor today. My test results were mostly normal, with the exception of one marker that only indicates inflammation somewhere...which, yeah. She thought the rash looked like a strep rash (even though my culture last week was negative), but has no clue on the gums. Net result: 5 days of steroids just to try to blast this thing out of me. fingersx.gif I just want to feel healthy again, is that too much to ask? I bagged my planned run on Wednesday and slept for 5 hours instead. Bolder Boulder, what? Marathon training starting in about a month? 3 day bike ride in July? biglaugh.gifrolleyes.gif

And, the appraisal for my refinance came back and is way low, meaning that if we don't get it higher on appeal, my payment will be THREE FREAKING HUNDRED DOLLARS more than the original estimate. irked.gif It's $30k lower than the appraisal that I had done for the home equity line just two years ago, and there's no way the market has tanked that much in two years...in fact, it's been on the way back up. I am irritated. It better come up on appeal.

In happier news, as mentioned, today was the kindergarten celebration. I can't believe kindergarten is over! How did that happen?? And yesterday, DS brought home his perfect attendance award...a certificate, a subway gift card, a free froyo, and $5 at the local toy shop! So proud. I certainly never even came close to perfect attendance!

Me and my no-longer-kindergartener!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 05-25-2012, 08:13 PM

Congrats to Tyler!!!

Nora was a rock star for her bloodwork. The phlebotomist looked a bit nervous (it's a small village and she probably doesn't do much pediatric bloodwork), but Nora was entirely calm, still and cooperative throughout. Other than refusing to give the urine sample in their bathroom, but I collected it in the coffee shop where we were having celebratory sorbetto at 8 am.

The ped will call us with results either way, probably early next week. Also on next week's agenda is doing allergy/anaphylaxis teaching with daycare and preschool and teaching them how to use an epi-pen.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:38 AM

MelW--fingers are crossed for good lab results for your daughter.

tjsmama--I'd wondered about that rash and strep too. Craziness. I'm still running with you but I might not hug you. :P Hopefully it will go away by then and you'll be feeling awesome. Congrats on your first-grader!

RR: jumped on my bike after the talent show and before the sun set. It was that or jump out of my skin.

NRR: Mommy-bragging ahead! R rocked her performance at the talent show tonight. She set a blistering tempo and I wondered if she could hold it--and she did. (I was accompanying her; she's never taken it this fast.) It was pretty impressive, especially as the week has included her forgetting to play an entire section of the piece, forgetting half the section, playing the forgotten section middle ending wrong repeatedly and throwing a hissy fit when I asked her to just play that measure five times, etc. And oh the hissy fits and drama! But she got up there and rocked it. Check it out. The triplet section--the one we had so much trouble with this week--was especially awesome. Apparently a little adrenaline is good for her!

J had a fussy day too. Overtired? Something else? I don't know. And then there's the husband. banghead.gifrolleyes.gif Trying to remind myself to breathe. Between the R drama, the fussy J, the poor sleep wrought by a fussy J who had two very nasty restless nights (digestive-related...don't know to what) earlier this week, the husband and all the stuff that needs to be done or is happening, I'm feeling frazzled.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 05-26-2012, 07:47 AM

Plady, what kind of intervals are you doing with dd? I need to start doing this with my dd1 who is also on the verge of...sigh. Well, anyway. She needs more exercise for sure (in addition to twice a week karate, and gym class once a week) and we are also really overhauling our family food plans. She likes to bike but I simply can't get out there enough to supervise/go with her with the other two kids and I can't let her go on her own yet especially as we're in a very busy area. Need something else.

Gaye, hope you feel all better soon! Congrats to Tyler!

Real, happy anniversary hug2.gif  rolleyes.gif   om.gif  (to me as well!) and way to go dd1! 

Shanti, I love the catering idea! That's fantastic and totally up your alley as far as talents and creativity. Wow! thumb.gif  Glad ds is doing better. 

RR: None yesterday. 5 on Thursday. I'm struggling with fatigue and still tightness in the lungs. Not sure if it's allergies or what that is prolonging the athsmatic episode but I really detest being on these meds. I had a z-pac for the bronchitis so I suppose it's also possible that the abx are making me tired too. I am supposed to be running a half marathon on June 3 -- the one I intended to try for a PR -- and now I just don't know. I feel so sluggish on my runs. What sayeth the dingos?

And Plady, you totally ROCK! I heartbeat.gif the little gift you sent. Now...where to put that?

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 05-26-2012, 08:51 AM

Very nice Real! E man really liked it "I like her music mom."

Old 05-26-2012, 11:35 AM

Nic - I'm not sure my model was a success but we did 3 minute rounds of lunges w/ squat jumps, jumping rope, mountain climbers and bicycle crunches.  Then we did some rounds of shadow boxing and kickboxing moves.  She really moped and cried and dragged a$$ through the whole thing though.  I'd guess it would be easier to do something she enjoys more but she'd helped think up the moves so I'd hoped that would help.

But she's either in a growth spurt (come on 'up' we've got enough 'out'!) or she's comfort feeding because she's constantly going after the highest car snacks she can.  I hate to scold her for eating but it's distressing to see how she zeros in on the few things we have in the house that are largely bereft of nutrients and wants only those, and in large quantities.

Glad you like the giftie, I was thinking of them as virtual party favors. partytime.gif  (am feeling a little guilt for the inactive-on-MDC Dingos who didn't get one)

Real - That was great!  And Ali G asked if she could have a violin too so she could play like that.  2whistle.gif What's the short answer to that?

BBM- Happy Birthday to you!

Gaye and JayGee - bow2.gif  Perfect attendance records?  That's amazing!

MelW - Fingers crossed for good results.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:16 PM

Nice job, R!

Guess who got called in to work last night? Yep, this girl! I was at a party, thinking that I was just about ready to head home and to bed (it was all of 9:30) when the call came. I survived, and it wasn't too terrible. I may have been first in line at the coffee shop when they opened (the cafeteria reopens from 11-1 for night shift) to get the largest, most caffeinated beverage they sell. bag.gif And, I got 9 hours of time and half plus weekend night shift differential, so I think I have a fun new pair of Danskos in my future. And maybe that new iphone I've been wanting.... orngbiggrin.gif

Of course, that killed off any idea of working out today. Especially since it's crazy windy out and I just can't make myself go out in wind like that. I had been thinking about maybe an afternoon ride after I woke up, but not in that wind!

Oh, and I love.gif prednisone. One dose, and gums are already feeling better and I think the rash is a little improved, too. fingersx.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 05-26-2012, 04:53 PM

Nick--happy anniversary--and all the rest to you too. As far as the fatigue and tightness, I'd guess the asthma and sluggishness are related. My runs are slower when it's acting up. Now that I'm on Singulair, they've been much better, and I'm guessing I'll be able to drop back to the Qvar once things settle down, allergy-wise, in June. Are you already on a maintenance drug? If not, you might want to ask about one for the next month or so. Or see if you can take some supplements that help fight inflammation which will accomplish about the same thing.

Plady--I usually turn any conversation about "can I do that so I can play/dance like that" to "you know what you're really good at? _____, and I love watching you do ____." R would like dance lessons. R has her mother's (lack of) coordination, so...I don't care if she takes them but that's about as far as that will go.

tjsmama--yeah, that wind is kind of ugly. I'm going running in it anyhow, probably after dinner, with the stroller. J is snoozing at the moment and I'm not going to wake her up. So, are we catching the 5:30 BB bus?

Old 05-26-2012, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Plady - joy.gif Love it! kissy.gif thank you

NRR: working our butts off here, no time for anything. Turns out we are closing on Friday, the floors arent done so we cant put furniture in the house unless we want them coated in sawdust so we will stuff all our worldly possessions in the garage and then... camp for a few days? Meanwhile, I finished stripping the wallpaper off the bathroom that is sort of MY project (tile from floor to waist-high, wallpaper up from there) and started hacking off the tile with a BIG chisel and hammer. The wallpaper was a colossal pain... and it turns out, there is more UNDER the tile! They just tiled over it. Really! Awesome, put some ugly on top of that ugly! So I have another half of the room to scrape once I get the tile off. And that's in between the other million things we have to do in 4 days. We're moving tuesday, period. Its the only day we have child-free and work-free for dh. One day, our whole house. Uh huh.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 05-27-2012, 06:15 AM

Real, I'm on Advair 250/50 now but not loving it. What is the advantage of the Singulair and/or the Qvar? Looking to get by on as little as possible. In the past I've been able to ease off the meds entirely after a month or so. This seems to be chronic but luckily spaced by years.

Sparkle, sending you easy moving vibes. 

Had a nice 11.5 this morning. However, all I can say is, thank goodness I thought to go into the nursing home and ask to use the bathroom. Never considered it before but it was clean and in the right place and they were quite lovely about it at 7 a.m. on a Sunday morning. 

Ok...holiday today. Off to synagogue to hear the Ten Commandments (it's the holiday we celebrate receiving the Torah at Mt. Sinai) and eat dairy foods. 

Oh yeah forgot to mention...after this weekend (dairy holiday) I am, I think, going mostly vegan. For personal health as well as ethical reasons. Not sure about the kids yet. Dh for sure not although I won't be buying meat anymore. I cannot get the kind of kosher, sustainably raised/humanely handled, grass-fed meat and poultry I feel good about eating or feeding my family. And if I could get it it would be prohibitively expensive. Plus I feel pretty yucky after eating meat these days. My system has gotten progressively more fine-tuned and I guess sensitive to weirdness since giving up (and being careful of) gluten. Dairy has never really been my friend anyway despite my love affair with it eyesroll.gif. I suspect this to be true for dd1 as well but she is as yet unwilling to go there (I had to refrain from dairy, soy, and corn when nursing her, did not introduce it to her diet til she was 3). Happy to be the recipient of new and lovely coconut milk products like ice cream and coffee creamer so going to ease in that way.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 05-27-2012, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Nic, I take Singulair and it really helps. I am notoriously horrible for not using my inhalers as I should but the Singulair keeps things in check with no adverse effects. I find that I am less sluggish when I am taking it. Could be that even when I am not in a coughing - wheezing - squeaky breath kind of place with my asthma, there is still always some inflammation and my breathing is not as good as it should be. When I use my asthma meds properly I am always amazed at what a little extra oxygen to my brain does for my quality of life  redface.gif

Old 05-27-2012, 02:37 PM

Nick--as I understand, Advair has both an inhaled steroid to prevent inflammation (and thus, attacks) and a long-lasting bronchodilator to help reduce issues with exercise-induced asthma.

Singulair treats some allergy symptoms and also somehow is supposed to help reduce exercise-induced asthma. Singulair doesn't contain a brochodilator though, so I'm not quite sure how that works--something about some chemical your body releases when it inhales an allergen, which also can cause chest tightening and such. It can also be prescribed for allergies, apparently. My allergies this time of year are the reason I've had asthma symptoms this time of year for a decade now, so it's working really well for me. Also, it's a pill that's only taken once a day, which is super-convenient.

Qvar is an inhaled steroid but without a bronchodilator component and it comes as a regular inhaler. It comes in a couple of different strengths and needs to be taken twice a day. Also, it's supposed to use much finer particles than similar inhaler-type meds, which means that the medicine goes further into your lungs to treat inflammation and is supposed to also have less side effects because more of the medication goes where it's supposed to be instead of affecting other parts of your body. I had been on 40 mcg when I started. When the cold weather came, I needed to move up to 80 and that's been fine except for the May allergy season. I will drop back to Qvar 80 mcg as soon as I run out of Singular in June. There's even a chance I could go back down to 40 mcg in July and early August (which can also be accomplished by doing one puff twice a day with the 80 mcg; the usual dose is two puffs twice a day).

Also, ITA with Shanti about the quality of life stuff. I'd hoped I'd be able to go off the meds at some point, but there's just been some level of ongoing inflammation for a while now. Then again, we also have our windows open a lot and I don't sleep enough and this basically went undiagnosed and untreated for years, so there may be a lot to work through. This is the first May in a decade where I haven't been coughing every time I try to eat or laugh or my nose feels even vaguely congested or when I take a deep breath, which is pretty awesome!

Old 05-27-2012, 03:36 PM

Aw plady - thanks!  (and sorry if my picture made things tougher on you)

Did 6 this morning at a good pace.  I'm enjoying just running with dd for now with track and letting go of some of my distance work.  

Old 05-27-2012, 04:59 PM

Plady--thanks!! I didn't get around to the mail until today. You rock! love.gif

Old 05-27-2012, 06:38 PM

Real, that was a terrific summary of the various asthma meds and how they work! My husband's immunologist switched him from advair to qvar because he has small airway  issues, but even the local respirologist didn't "believe" that the particle size was important enough to make a difference. But it was huge in terms of decreasing his rescue inhaler use. Singulair's patent has just run out, too, so it's gotten much less expensive (though this may just be in Canada).

I loved your daughter's talent show performance, too. It was a big hit with my fiddle-playing daughter.

Nic, good luck with the switch to a vegan diet. And wishing you a peaceful anniversary :)

sparkle, thinking of you as you approach moving day. So close!

Race report: Gut Buster 12.5k trail run

I bought entry to this race as part of my husband's birthday gift in April. He has waffled a lot about doing it since- his anxiety has been really bad with a lot of self-consciousness about his speed, his body, the competitiveness of the race, etc. The check-in and lead up to the race was rather unpleasant. I probably would have been running it had I not driven and had the keys well-stashed in my camelback. We had an agreement that I wouldn't let him back out and I had a strong feeling that he would be fine once the race was underway and much happier having finished it. I was right :)

He also overheard people talking about how hard  and uphill the course was at the start line, despite my reassurances that it wouldn't be that bad. It turns out.... it was a different route than they had ever used before and I had been looking at the wrong elevation maps. Ooops!

The race started with the short course (mine) and the long course (half marathon) on the same trail, and a long slow uphill climb winding into the forest. Then a stream crossing. Next a thigh-high mud puddle. Then a big long climb up the trail, with 457m elevation gain all the way to 6k. It was hard to not know the trail or course very well- there were no distance markers and I had no idea how much longer the climb was, so took a couple of walking breaks on some steeper sections. After a gorgeous view from the summit, the next kilometer was steep downhill. The rest of the course was a gradual downhill, with lots of nice views. I tripped and fell (and swore loudly) at around 9 km, luckily the fall was broken by some salmonberry bushes, which scratched but probably hurt less than the ground. After picking myself up and getting running again the rest of the race went smoothly. The runners were pretty spread out, so we spent most of the time with just the two of us in sight. The trails were well marked, but I was really missing a sense of how much farther to go. There was one more steep but short climb where we passed a couple of runners, then saw nobody else until very close to the end when we were passed by the winner of the half marathon.

Even the finish line seemed to come up quickly- around a corner and there it was with not much time to sprint to the end. As I saw it I told my husband to go ahead, since I knew that he had slowed down for me for the whole race. He told me he couldn't do any faster than I was (a lie- which he confessed to later), and let me sprint in just matching my pace and letting me cross the finish line first. He also apologized for being a grump and stressing all morning.

We grabbed some oranges and started our trip back up Island to pick up the kids, without staying for awards and draw prizes. I forgot to set my stop-watch, so I'll have to wait for official timing, but it was around 1:40.

This afternoon I've lawnmowing and other yardwork, so I have some aching muscles in store for tomorrow, I'm sure.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:51 PM

Wow Mel, amazing report! Good for you and hubby!!

Old 05-28-2012, 06:59 PM
bec

It has been a while!  So, I got my house cleaned and prepared for a family visit from DH's siblings and their respective others.  It was a really fabulous visit.  Except that Katie, Emily, me, and Dh's brother's girlfriend got some sort of horrible stomach bug today!  Right before they all flew out!  I can't imagine having to travel feeling like I am!  Luckily, it does seem to be fast moving, so, even though I have spent the day curled up around the toilet or passed out in bed, I feel like I'm on the mend now.

I have read and caught up, but don't have the energy for personals.  Just know that you are all on my mind and in my heart!

And thank you Plady!!!!!! I just love it! luxlove.gif

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 05-28-2012, 09:42 PM

Hey mamas!

We did our indoor skydiving thing today and it was really neat!  Ali G got scared after only a few seconds in the wind tunnel so they let us split her remaining time between us which was fun and she was happy rocking her pink flight suit.  They give you two rounds of a minute (and a bit for us) in the chamber so the first time you just kind of begin to get a feel for how to hold yourself and then it's over.  The second time in it's easier to get the position so you fly around a bit and then the instructor grabs on and takes you all the way up to the top of the tunnel, about 16 feet I guess.  It was really fun.  Once all the newbies do their flights the instructor flies in for a little show boating which just makes you want to go back in and try it again of course.  So, a good time was had by all and I'm sure that it's going to be on wish lists in the future.

Shanti - hug2.gif

MelW - That sounds like a fun race, despite the running-into-the-unknown factor.

Bec - Hope you're all feeling better soon!

Old 05-28-2012, 11:06 PM

MelW--great race report!

Plady--sounds like fun!

bec--feel better!

RR: the Bolder Boulder 10K was today. Gaye & I were running together. We usually meet up to catch the bus there anyhow, and I needed someone to keep me from going all out because all that adrenaline and excitement will get me otherwise. And as you know, Gaye's been sick for quite a while and despite that, (drumroll please.....), managed a qualifying time for next year anyhow. orngbiggrin.gif (Are you surprised? I wasn't, having seen her pull off some amazing things during the years I've known her.... love.gif ) It was a great day for running. Catching the bus was chilly--mid 40s with a nasty windy out of the west, but it wasn't as windy at the start and it was probably about 50 and sunny when we started. I still feel mixed about the new course design, though I think it's probably a better one. The old course used to head downhill for the first mile, and eventually was mostly uphill for the couple of miles after that. The new course starts uphill and basically continues to be uphill for the first three. It makes the second half feel easier, but still. Anyhow, we hung together to the end, finishing in 1:01:29 (I think her time was a couple of seconds faster). And here I extend a huge thank you to Gaye, because I would have ruined my taper otherwise--especially during the final stretch when I kept mentally picking out people I would have left in my wake (like say, the tall shirtless dude who passed us on the Folsom hill and some chick whose costume just annoyed me for no good reason). lol.gif

We checked out the expo, had breakfast, and headed back to the stadium for the international team challenge and Memorial Day tribute. Also, I have to mention that it's both cool and surreal that as we're heading to breakfast, there's this stream of runners going into the stadium, and then after we eat breakfast and walk back, the stream of people is still there--now mostly jog/walking, but unbroken. So cool.

This was the first time I'd stayed for the pro races. When I first started running the BB in 2001, the pro races didn't start until after the Memorial Day Tribute (around noon) and there was no way I was going to hang out for 30+ minutes in the hot sun waiting for them to come back. Plus, DH usually wouldn't meet me in Boulder and was annoyed that I was running when he felt we could have been hiking, so more often than not I've taken the first bus back and then we'd go hiking so he wasn't mad all day. When he walked the race with me when I was pregnant with R and for the couple of years after that, we stayed for the Memorial Day Tribute but not for the pro races for the same reason. Sometime since then they've changed that so that the pro racers start the race much earlier and run the same course as the rest of us, and they come into the stadium about a minute or two after the last walkers cross the stadium finish line. We got to watch Deena Kastor finish third (third!!!) this morning, which was awesome given that she's a decade older (39) than when she won the race three times in a row. And it's cool to watch them come in too. The Memorial Day Tribute was great as usual, though it was too windy for the skydivers. Overall, this was tons of fun with great company. orngbiggrin.gif

Old 05-29-2012, 05:33 AM

Hi Dingoes. love.gif

Great job at the BB, Real and Gaye. How fun! Gaye, I hope you're feeling better and better all the time.

Plady, you DO rock. And that iFly experience really does sound fun. I imagine there was laughter.

I am safely lodged in my friend's house, drinking an amazing cup of coffee while ds chills and dd finishes sleeping. All is well, travel was utterly uneventful in the best possible way. Flights were'nt just on time, they were early. Lines were short. Baggage all arrived, intact and on time. My children were a shining example of How to Be On a Long-haul Flight and made service workers and grandmothers smile all over the world. Wisconsin is a cool, green, sweet-smelling paradise (and I think the mosquitoes would agree winky.gif). The driver found us without a problem and the drive home was virtually traffic-free.

One the agenda today, hit the credit union for some money, get a phone number, pick up some essentials (footwear, new undies for the kids, fun stuff like that). My sister's bday is today, and I want to surprise my nephew by showing up at his soccer game after school back in our sweet little town. From there, maybe a walk in the park and down the old main street, just for fun. We have all the time in the world right now.

All of that is assuming I can heave my butt off the chair and stop drinking cups of amazing coffee. Cameron's Organic Paradise Blend, French press, coconut milk. I have a basement yoga/dance studio and a whirlpool tub at my disposal, a wooded park with trails 3 blocks from the house, and Reb is less than 3mi from here. Life feels pretty good right now.

My dietary choices have already offended my mom, I think, but I managed not to inhale the sweet desserts at my sister's house yesterday. My digestion is wonky after plane food and 17 hours in flight, and I can see that protein will be my challenge until I figure out sources, but all is well.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:13 AM

Real - Great race and report!

Jo - Welcome home!!!!!!!!

Old 05-29-2012, 09:47 AM

Jo - I love your post! Fill that cup, my friend, and drink it up over and again. You have earned this respite ten-fold! love.gif

Nic - hug2.gif

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Tags
Fitness
User Tag List