Running through the May Flowers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 248 Old 05-02-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For mamas who run, walk, jog, wog, traipse, hop, skip, jump, or aspire to do any of those things, we are the Dingoes. Join us here for inspiration, commiseration, support, entertainment and community. Share your training challenges, your race reports, and discuss anything and everything--just like having a super-supportive IRL running group!

We also like to discuss biking, swimming, climbing, team sports and the million other things that come up, some of which we do to run better, some of which we do when we can't run, and some of which we just do.

All are welcome!

It is commonly known that Dingoes are a blahblah.gif bunch, but don't be intimidated. We love new members and cherish (ahem) the old ones, too.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#2 of 248 Old 05-02-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I baldly copied Jo's whole intro, after wrestling with metaphors for blooming, and growth, and bla bla bla. A bit of an anti-climactic intro. for my first one in the 7 years Ive been on this thread bag.gif Not that yours isent utter perfection Jo, I just thought I'd give it my own twist. Sigh. Good thing Im going to grad school to teach writing disappointed.giflol.gif

JG - I am loathe to say the following, but here goes: when I thought I had yeast, and neurotically investigated it for months (ie trolled every website I could find), what I read was a lot of what you just wrote. Im not one of those who believe in yeast being a cause of everything, as some do, and Im not even sure I believe in the symptoms and links to them that many people make, BUT, it sure seems like there are a lot of similarities in the general symptom pool, and you seem to have a lot of those horrors.gif IF it were the case that yeast is involved in your experience, 30 days of a changed diet isent going to do it. The diet doesnt kill it, just makes them stop feeding so much and releasing their byproducts from eating (which is what causes the foggy head, supposedly). I could say more, here or in a PM, but if you are already living with the diet pretty painlessly, you might want to give further remedies a try, as the diet is the hardest for most people...

Jo - wow. That is great news. I can imagine that 14 pounds off would make a lot of things easier. The best part is that the diet is not a hardship for you. I hope you continue to see improvements. I will be very curious to see how your body reacts to WI weather.

Real - YES! First world problems indeed: "the bathrooms are UGLY! scared.gif" disappointed.gif and lol.gif Awesome 20 miler. I hope the paper is going well

RR: 35 minutes on the bike on Monday that were HARD. Lack of sleep really sucked my oomph out. Thankfully, Ive felt better (less stressed) the past two days and have slept pretty well (still waking before 6, but whatev; not feeling like my stomach is eating itself as soon as I open my eyes), which resulted in a kick ass work-out today: my usual hour of intervals on the bike and 20 minutes of same on the TM.

NRR: I think Ive found some peace about the changes going on, and am ready to move forward, unless I think about it too much, which I try to avoid lol.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#3 of 248 Old 05-02-2012, 02:26 PM

Subbing. More later! nut.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#4 of 248 Old 05-02-2012, 04:39 PM

Subbing!

Spent the day priming the walls.  There are places where we still need to finesse the plaster but I needed something to do to keep the ball moving forward so I went ahead.  I also got Ali G registered for kindy and was told by dd1s teacher that some girls reported seeing C looking in other kids' bags at lunch and would I please find out what was up with that?  I really hope it is something simple and not that she's now turning into some sort of klepto.  dizzy.gif 

RR: ROTFLMAO.gif

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#5 of 248 Old 05-02-2012, 05:18 PM
bec

Speaking of first world problems: I was put out that when I got to the pool this morning to swim, I was not allowed into it because the high school was taking it over because their pool was being rennovated.  So, I had to go this afternoon.  Bah! 

RR: Anyway, I did get it done, and did do the 2500 yards I needed to do today!  I'm planning on taking the next two days to rest so I can have fresh(ish) legs for Saturday's half. 

NRR: I was in a pissy mood and really needing a big workout all day.  I picked up my dog's ashes, and that was hard.  Then, Emily's teacher made a pretty passive aggressive and unpleasant comment to me when I came it to volunteer in her class.  I would consider saying something, but there is so little school left, that I think the smarter thing to do would be to let it go. 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#6 of 248 Old 05-02-2012, 08:12 PM

On breast buds: I'm hoping this is all that happens for a while. May the breasts come later, and may I be ready to welcome them. I wasn't particularly early with puberty, and MIL was on the late side. These breast buds arrived a matter of days after a discussion about family pubertal genetics and the likelihood that we wouldn't need to think of it for a few years still. On the genetics/environment/hormones/whatever conversation, I remember reading of a study a few years ago showing a correlation between early onset of puberty (or menstruation?) and growing up without a father or other adult male in the household. (No, I'm not blaming this on my husband's time away, as tempting as it may be).

gaye, awesome 10-miler. You really do thrive on less training, don't you? I'm jealous.

sparkle, I'm glad there's peace with the changes. Thanks for the new thread.

jo and JayGee, I'm glad the Whole 30 is so positive for both of you. As I've eaten sandwiches from the cafeteria a few times this week I can totally relate to eating patterns that don't meet the needs of my body. Not crazy, just human ;)

RR- Joining the trail running group tomorrow. Otherwise just running around the block with the kids on bikes.

NRR- Still working to find my happy place. On an hour by hour, day by day basis I'm pretty good, but feel the undercurrent of wanting something very different that keeps tugging at me.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#7 of 248 Old 05-02-2012, 11:59 PM

Well, a little more self-poking and dd has discovered something's starting on the other side. shrug.gif I was quite early (but was also an overweight/obese kid), and dh is from a culture where girls used to marry very young, though I don't know how or whether it correlates to their actual biology. And especially women often live with various levels of malnutrition, so who knows what their genes would do under better-fed circumstances? Guess we'll see.

I strolled down to the beach this AM but spent an hour chatting with my friend whose house I'm borrowing for the first half of summer, and with whom I'll live part-time the second half. thumb.gif It was hard to hear so I had to sit still. So when I finished that, I got on my bike and did a quickie 12 miles or so. Still have to do upper body work, but I think I want another coffee first.

Sorted through the clothes--to take home, to send off to needy family, to leave here. Started packing suitcases. Clearing out kitchen cupboards. Kids will probably have ramen for dinner. winky.gif I've sorted paperwork and files--medical, school, visa, taxes, bills. Sorted books to go along and to stay. Got kids thinking about their toys (small steps). This afternoon, I will work more on sorting and order, and then take kids to the pool after school.

So, yes. Kids and I will basically have a house to ourselves for 6-7 weeks before my friend comes back, and then we can spend Ramadan together with her in her home. There is a cat sitter on call.

And now I am exploring between two online school options and starting to lean toward the one that's mastery-based and more classical friendly. It's better I think aloud with you ladies than with dh, because this would freak him out--but K12 has an International Academy within its system, and they even have an affiliated UAE office, so this could help me in a technical sense with regard to tuition payment by the company. Plus, it would enable dd to take French and ds to take Spanish, something they both really want.

#8 of 248 Old 05-03-2012, 04:13 AM

4 mile trail race yesterday. O y. Sore today.
On phone. Particularly annoying way to navigate this site.

More later.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#9 of 248 Old 05-03-2012, 05:18 AM

Please PM me if you'd
like me to add something for you!

: dingo race list
:

realrellim - Steamboat Marathon - June 3, 2012

Mel38 - Charleston Sprint Tri Series #2 - June 17, 2012

tjsmama - Loveland Lake to Lake Triathlon - June 23, 2012

realrellim - Run for Independence 5M - June 30, 2012

realrellim - Middle Park Half Marathon - July 7, 2012

Dmitrizmom - Iowa Games Triathlon - July 8, 2012

bec -  Racine Half Ironman - July 15, 2012

tjsmama - Courage Classic Bike Tour - July 21-23, 2012

Mel38 - Charleston Sprint Tri Series #4 - July 29, 2012

tjsmama - Mudathlon, August 11, 2012

Nickarolaberry - Providence (RI) Rock n Roll Half - August 19, 2012

tjsmama -USAT Age Group Nationals, August 18, 2012

tjsmama -Rock n Roll Denver 1/2 Marathon, September 22, 2012

mel38 - Marine Corps Marathon - October 28, 2012

tjsmama - New York City Marathon - November 4, 2012

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#10 of 248 Old 05-03-2012, 05:18 AM

run.gif2012 Dingo Race Results partytime.gif

realrellim - Yeti Chase 10K - January 28, 2012 - 53:24 (PR!)

realrellim - Ralston Creek Half Marathon - February 12, 2012 - 2:00:43

mommajb - 10k - March 17, 2012 - 59:??

doctorjen - Diva Dash 5k - March 25, 2012 - 24:55

Mel38 - Cooper River Bridge Run 10k - March 31, 2012 - 1:03:29 (PR)

realrellim - Redline 13.1 Westminster - April 7, 2012 - 1:57:56

bec - Reach out and Run 5k - April 21, 2012 - 42-ish (with 6yo DD!)

doctorjen - Rock the Parkway half marathon - April 14, 2012 - 1:56:49 (PR!)

Mel38 - TryCharleston Sprint triathlon - April 21, 2012 - 1:30:38

tjsmama - Cherry Creek Sneak 10 Miler - April 29, 2012 - 1:41:39

Mel38 - Hell Hole Swamp Gator Run 10k - May 5, 2012 - 1:02:45 (PR!)

bec - Indy Mini Half Marathon - May 5, 2012 - 2:47:22

realrellim - Miles for Moms 5k - May 5, 2012 - 25:12

Mel38 - Charleston Sprint Tri Series #1 - May 20, 2012 - 1:29:35

Nickarolaberry - Rubin Run Half Marathon - May 12, 2012 - 2:06:11

MelW - Gutbuster 12.5km - May 27, 2012 - 1:45:15

tjsmama - Boulder Bolder 10k - May 27, 2012 - 1:01:30

realrellim - Boulder Bolder 10k - May 27, 2012 - 1:01:29

2010 Results

2011 Results

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#11 of 248 Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 AM

jog.gif

Time for sleep after my last shift of the week. I did manage to valiantly squeeze in a 4.5 miler yesterday afternoon in between the kindergarten field trip to the nature and science museum and when school let out. And I somehow miraculously stayed awake all night on a crappy <2 hr nap. Note to DS: just because you're whispering does NOT mean that you're not waking me up. rolleyes.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#12 of 248 Old 05-03-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
Not crazy, just human ;)

Well there we have the next Dingo catch phrase. :)

MelW - Hope you start to find some workable solutions to the unrest.

Gaye - Nice race! 

Re: Breast buds.  Hmm.  Yup, we've got some here in our sensitive 10 yo and she already prefers to wear something bra-like to help her feel less self-conscious.  I'm okay with that but I've probably being openly more apprehensive of adolescence than I should have been, typical me playing it straight when I should feign something, anything but what I really feel. eyesroll.gif

Jo - So my dad has been after me to think about getting the girls east to go the the Dells, how close would that be to you guys? 

Where's GEO?

Sparkle - You gonna post some snaps?  In our starter home we found the bathroom floor carpeted which was particularly disturbing since the house had been owned by a blind man.  Even if you don't post them I hope you're taking lots of befores.

Bec - Way to take the high road on the PA comment, another example of a place I'd probably get myself into trouble. 

RR: Boxing.  I still love love love it.  I haven't been managing to get myself to the gym on any other day though, nor have I done anything else that could be considered cardiovascular.  At least we are making a huge impression on the inside of the house so it's not for nothing.  But I do worry that I am not as committed as I should be as I face down the final month of my 30s if I really think I want to be a certain shape in four weeks.  But then maybe I'm okay with where I am and all I need to do is maintain, cause that's kind of true too.  And I like my beer in the evening.  Just the one.

#13 of 248 Old 05-03-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
In our starter home we found the bathroom floor carpeted which was particularly disturbing since the house had been owned by a blind man.  

huh.gif

Plady, dh wants to go there one of the weekends he is still in US. So, it's a likely destination for us early June, though I worry about temps not being, ahem, warm enough. He has a nice employee discount for Mt. Olympus. I think it's something like a 2-hour drive? I've only been once.

About to get dressed and jump on my bike. Not sure whether I want to just ride, or stop-get off-and-walk, but I'm getting out there while temp is still in the 80s.

#14 of 248 Old 05-03-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Awful quiet around here..

Plady - Cracking up about the blind man and the carpet. Eww; carpet in a bathroom?!

RR: Weight circuit. Decent, considering 2 1/2 weeks off.

NRR: So I sent a message via Facebook to my ex a few months ago - very generic, but also sort of an inside joke. He was my other significant relationship. I think I just felt like talking to someone I knew well back then. He wrote back about a month ago, asking how he could know if it was really me. So I sent him an inside joke. Not flirting at all, not my intention. I just got another note from him - its a cryptic haiku, and I gotta say, it sounds kinda sexual to me. Dh knows about the communication, his wife was a close friend of mine (we've been out of touch, just busyness), and we're both very happy in our relationships. Still, flirting is fun. Now I'm wondering, is he flirting, and why do I care.

House news; we met w/ a contractor (friend's dh) to discuss renovation stuff. We close in a week joy.gif

#15 of 248 Old 05-03-2012, 08:22 PM

Sparkle, just for the record I want to see photos of the cute coach. I think Plady wants house photos. Maybe you can share both lol.gif

Jo, I hope you find the right for you school option and that you DH trusts your research and decision.

RR- Joined the trail running group for the first time today. It's a weekly group that rotates between 6 or 8 local-ish trail areas and is free! There were about 70 people that split into groups from walkers all the way to super speedy and each do an hour of various trails. I found a nicely paced group and had a good hilly run. We got a sitter and my husband started to come, but he quit when he saw the size of the group at went off to run solo at the other end of town. So I got an extra bit of running in from the run home after, and was pleased to be doing what I wanted despite his anxiety.

#16 of 248 Old 05-03-2012, 08:46 PM
bec

I want to see all the pictures!bigeyes.gif

And, Plady - Don't give me too much credit.  I think the only reason I didn't say anything was because I was too stunned at the time, and by the time I came up with something good to retort with, there were all sorts of kids around, so it wouldn't be appropriate!  I'm just tired of people thinking that it was me pushing for a grade skip, and that any little bump in the road is to be blamed on the grade skip.  Honestly, it reminds me of when I was breastfeeding, and anything that went wrong was blamed on the nursing!

RR: none.  Worked 4 hours, but no exercise.  I want happy legs for Saturday.

NRR: DD1 had her last band concert for the year.  It was really a nice show.  They had the 6th grade band as well as the 5th grade band playing.  The thing that made me so very proud was when they asked the 5th graders to hold up their hands to show how many scales they had mastered.  Katie was one of only a few (maybe 10-15 kids) that had mastered all of the ones they asked of them.  This has not been easy, and she has worked really, really hard!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#17 of 248 Old 05-03-2012, 11:59 PM

Subbing.

Also, can I just say that there are a frightening amount of crazies out there? I went to the school board meeting as soon as my students finished the final (we're pushing for the board to put a mill/bond levy on the ballot), and there are a lot of people competing for the crazy-of-the-year award. The top contenders:

1. The old (non-parent) guy who said he thought he was the only taxpayer in the room. I think he really believes that the 50-70 of us there um, are homeless or renters or something?

2. The parent of a kid who got expelled who claims that 2000 kids a year from our district are referred to the police and charged with crimes. (The district has 86,000 students, but her numbers are wrong, as are many other things that she said.) Basically, she thinks the district is ruining everyone's life and increased funding won't help. Also, she's scary.

3. The board member who was supposed to direct one of the five community meetings last week who went rogue and tried to discredit the district. Like #1 and #2, she has many claims on the crazy title, such as the inability to understand or believe that yes, the state mandates how much the district has to contribute to employee pensions, and thus the board cannot vote to make the employees pay a larger share of their pensions because it would be illegal. (She's forever going on about this pension fund, but she's barking up the wrong tree. The only people who can make changes are the state legislature, not the school board. Duh.)

Four hours later, the meeting still wasn't done, but I was pooped and went home. :gah

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#18 of 248 Old 05-04-2012, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Ugh. We have our share of crazies here too. I just keep my distance whenever I can. The big thing with that these days is teaching my kids how to deal with the crazies in their lives!

No running happening around here This is the height of concert season so I have either been playing or watching my kids play every night  - just two more to go and then I will be ready for a break. I do have to say that the concert I played in Tuesday night was incredible and I would hit rewind and do that one over and over again if I could! Music has been my sanity lately and even if I can only play for 5 minutes when everyone leaves in the morning I do because I cope with everything else so much better for the rest of the day.

ds is in the midst of a medication change so I am watching him very closely. His seizures increased and changed with the first medication he was on and that really frightened him. Still no word on when he sees the neurologist at the Children's Hospital but his ped is working on it. I have no time today but I have to make some to get into his school and start the process to have a safety and education plan in place at school. When I spoke to the VP a couple of weeks ago he told me he would share information with all of ds' teachers but the two I have spoken to both said they heard nothing. His math teacher is working with him to recover the material ds has missed due to have seizures in his class. I am so glad this teacher is so good. ds still has good marks but not the stellar marks he is capable of, has had in the past and wants, and his teacher is making some accommodations to help him. I need to get some things in place before the end of the semester is here and he has exams. Stress is a big trigger for his seizures.

Still working on other things that need attention. It looks like I will be able to replace the broken computer with something else and that will relieve some of my stress. There just don't seem to be enough hours in the day and I am so tired.

I did look into the Whole 30 plan but don't think I can do it right now. I have eliminated all grains and feel better already. I just don't know that I can give up legumes for a month and the thought of giving up my morning chai latte with a big spoonful of honey just seems like a punishment even though it might help me! If other things ease up I will reconsider. For now I will focus on the grain free and no sweeteners except honey and maple syrup for flavouring in some things. I am trying to eliminate the DC habit because I know that will help but some afternoons it is the only thing that gets me through. Is there ever a best time to make dietary changes?

Will catch up on personals when I have more time and better access to a computer. Know that I  grouphug.gif  all you DIngoes.

#19 of 248 Old 05-04-2012, 09:20 AM

I totally agree Shanti that no time is really a good time to make dietary changes.  Hugs to your son, I'm glad his math teacher is invested in him.  I wish I had something like the music in the mornings to help.  I finally today did a search on netflix for yoga videos.  I think I found 6.  Not many.

Real - wowza!

Pictures are always good :D

My running has stunk.  I'm perpetually achy, especially in the groin area. I don't understand why.  But I'm trying to just slow down and back off hoping my body will heal.

#20 of 248 Old 05-04-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

BBM - My first thought is stability issues. Maybe you are lacking strength in your hips or knees or IT band, or some combo. and this is putting more pressure on your groin to keep you stable laterally? Maybe some strengthening of opposing muscles so your groin can get some relief?...

RR: rest day. Sore from weights, but not too bad

NRR: Hiked, or should I say "hiked" this a.m. w/ Ds' class as a chaperone. BORING bag.gif

Been trying to figure out how to respond to this haiku, so have been writing haikus. Fun. Came up with a good one. Dont know if Ill send it.

#21 of 248 Old 05-04-2012, 01:50 PM

Sparkle, a friend once said "small crushes can be life-sustaining". Some days I'm inclined to agree, but with caution. Make sure that boundaries are clear, and then write some terrific haikus!!!

Real, crazies for sure! It's especially scary with the school trustee since she has some degree of power.

NRR- I had a terrific phone call today with a prof at UVic to talk about grad programs there. He's a health geographer who teaches in the social policy stream on their MPH program. He was very kind and helpful and gave good advice. The program is low-residency and currently seems like a good possible fit for 2013. At some point I'll quit researching and just go to school already eyesroll.gif

RR- Bootcamp tonight. My right knee is a bit achy after yeaterday's run, likely from a little slip on the trail.

#22 of 248 Old 05-04-2012, 02:37 PM

Subbing... It took me a few days to figure out why there weren't any new posts on the old thread.  biglaugh.gif

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#23 of 248 Old 05-04-2012, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

MelW - No worries. Its not a crush, which is why Im puzzled as to how to proceed. Its an old, albeit serious, relationship, and I just feel like talking to him sometimes. But haikus is not what I had in mind. The crush is on the 26 year old! C'mon, Ive got my crushes in order lol.gif The low-residency option sounds really promising. do it!!

#24 of 248 Old 05-04-2012, 05:50 PM

subbing!

#25 of 248 Old 05-04-2012, 07:16 PM

Plady: the dells? I'm in.
Jo too.
I hate the dells.
But I would do it.
Six hrs from here.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#26 of 248 Old 05-04-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

Plady: the dells? I'm in.
Jo too.
I hate the dells.
But I would do it.
Six hrs from here.

ROTFLMAO.gifI hate the very concept of "water park." There's one maybe two miles down the street from me. I have not taken the kids to it since the one time we went shortly after our arrival here. Of course, at $70 to have my feet seared on hot cement while queuing for rides, why would I?

So, dh took me for lunch yesterday. It didn't turn out well. He kept trying to shove bread into my mouth. I finally acquiesced by eating some stuffed vegetables (rice and meat inside). I felt terrible immediately afterward, tired all afternoon, and this AM, I am stiff, sore and swollen.

Sparkle, I'd probably use the concept as a creative prompt and let it go at that. Because then the only boundary is the one between imagination and reality. winky.gif

I believe I may have O'd, and luteal phase has gotten really ugly in this body the past couple years.

Anyway, right back on the wagon. Don't need that stuff, and glad I didn't do worse, because I definitely had the opportunity.

#27 of 248 Old 05-04-2012, 08:28 PM

My bathroom is carpeted. bag.gif It was the base option when we built the place, and I thought it was kind of weird but we didn't want to spend the $ to upgrade. I have to admit, it's grown on me. And also was a great excuse to make DS sit down to go potty (i.e., you can do whatever you want at daddy's house, but at mommy's house, we sit down to go potty! orngbiggrin.gif). The floor is never cold, and you never see the dustbunnies/hairballs floating around the floor.

DS didn't have school today, so we had a nice day together. We went to the Y for a swim (well, for me...he played) and then up to Boulder for a hike. I picked a trail that I knew had a ton of stream crossings, and a nice little waterfall/pool area for DS to play. We picnicked, DS played and I read my kindle, and then we hiked out and got some froyo and drove home to grill out. It was a good day.

rr~I forced myself to go for 3 miles yesterday after waking up, since DS had enrichment and I didn't have to pick him up until 4:30. It was a little painful energy-wise, and my foot is still bothering me. I'm thinking I should probably get it checked out before I need to start serious training, but then it doesn't hurt at all. Blah. So, a swim today seemed like a good idea to give it a break. 1500 yds in the pool, in a not-terrible time. And then 2.5ish miles of very slow hiking this afternoon.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#28 of 248 Old 05-04-2012, 09:26 PM

Shanti - I'm thinking about you mama and hoping your ds's new meds help him.  It's great that you've got the math teacher to help him too. 

I'm all greensad.gif dizzy.gifhopmad.gif gloomy.gif here.  We just heard from C's teacher that she's been caught lying about something that happened at school.  And she lied so seamlessly and well that I really had believed her.  And so now I'm wondering about all the other drama that has gone on with her all year and how many of those things might not have happened either at all or happened in a substantially different way.  And I think about having gone to bat for her and now being unsure if any of it was true.  I was explaining to her in a kind of pedantic way that once someone has lied it is hard to know how or when you can trust them again, and then I realized how true that is and how much it sucks.  I want to trust my kid.  Now I feel like that has been so compromised there is really no spot on the horizon I feel I can look ahead to and feel like that's where we get to go back to normal.  And even as she cried and promised to never lie again I just found myself thinking, 'yeah, right.'  What she lied about wasn't a big thing, it was just a small thing and the fact that her lie was so smooth and calm and practiced gives me the chills.  I've always been pretty up front about how telling the truth is always a better way to go and that even if the truth is really bad the consequences of lying will be worse so it freaks me out that she would risk so much for so little.  You know?  Have any of you dealt with this? 

Oy.  Beware the full moon.

#29 of 248 Old 05-05-2012, 05:30 AM

Plady ~ hug2.gif oh dear.  The old "Girl who Cried Wolf", eh??  My middle DD has a tendancy to bend the truth, but I can usually see right through her.  Honestly, I really don't know how to deal with it.  She's going to have to rebuild your ability to trust her again, and the best way to do that is to not only TELL the truth, but to back up the truth with facts, and to tell the truth when it might not put her in the most flattering light.  I wish you peace and understanding in this.

Gaye ~ your afternoon with DS sounds absolutely wonderful!

jooj, kerc, plady ~ Dells?  I hate waterparks too, but my kids and DH LOVE them!  I'd be willing to endure just to hang with the three of you twins.gif.  Plus, we are totally reworking our summer vacation plans, yet again, to accomodate the summer swim team schedule.  I will have to mention the Wisconsin idea to DH....

jooj ~ seriously?  He tried to make you eat bread????  I'm angry FOR you.  Good for you for not caving, and a little rice is okay.

sparkle ~ haiku?  Really?  You may not be interested anymore, but it sounds like he might be flirting just a little.  Have fun gazing at the 26 yo climbing instructor though!  About the candida, what herbal anti fungals can I try?  I don't want to go about getting a prescription antifungal, but am willing to try something I can pick up at the health food store.  And I'm going to make my Whole30 into a Whole60 to see if that helps.  Day 5 today!

MelW ~ cool school opportunity for you!  I say go for it!

RR ~ Pilates yesterday.  My core is so strong these days.  If only you could see it beneath the layer of fat lol.gif.

NRR ~ DH and DS are at a soccer tournament in Champaign-Urbana, so we're having a "Just the 3 Girls" weekend.  Last night I endured shopping at Justice (oh, I how loathe that store, I'm constantly telling the girls that half-shirts and short-shorts are not okay) and today we're treking to the new American Girl store in St. Louis.  They are bringing their own money they've saved for this day, so hopefully my wallet won't be hemmorhaging too much at the end of it.  Tonight is a movie and nail painting.  I want to take them out for a bike ride too, so we can get a little exercise.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#30 of 248 Old 05-05-2012, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

JG - Yeah, which is why I havent responded. Our relationship had a lot of intellectual sparring, which was fun and felt romantic at the time, until it didnt. So the *challenge* of responding with a really good poem is fun I remember, but ultimately I have to remind myself that my goal is just to talk to him, in a real way, and it's probably the case that we cant (which is what my haiku is about and why I am so tempted to send it bag.giflol.gif) I was even thinking, for a brief moment, of seeing his haiku, and raising it to a Shakespearean Sonnet disappointed.giflol.gif
There are herbal antifungals, although Im not sure how they would NOT harm good bacteria too. They include oregano oil, grapefruit seed extract, and clove oil, all of which are REVOLTING. Coconut oil is also supposed to be antifungal (although also antimicrobial so dizzy.gif). I just used powdered Nystatin, which was a prescription (Dh wrote it) and was FOUL.
Enjoy the girl time orngbiggrin.gif

Plady - oooh, I am so sorry. We have a bit of that with DS, and I came up against that realization about a year ago; that trust is the most important thing, and the biggest loss for him if he loses it! I can love him until the cows come home but if I dont trust him, our relationship is fundamentally undone. He hasnt ever told a lie that is so bad that he has ruined our trust, but its been close, and we underscore for him often (whenever he's trying to pass a, transparent to us, lie) that his life will be harmed if people dont trust him. Its that big a deal. The real question I imagine you're wrestling with is why? Why did she feel she needed to lie. The fact that it is easy for her only shows that she's probably done it before and that its become comfortable (it's worked before). But worked to what ends? Belonging? Attention? I think most kids lie, or try it on, and often its to see what happens when they cross a boundary (i.e. what is life like on the other side), and then there are lies that stem from some real emotional need. Maybe she is precocious and can see through the flimsy authority us grown-ups purport to have. DS does that now-and-then: calls us on the fact that we really dont have so much power, and then we're like; DOH. Or maybe she wants something more. What does she say about why she did it? I'm really sorry you are in this position footinmouth.gif and brokenheart.gif

Gaye - that does sound like a pretty ideal day (does it get any better?!)

RR: I was going to do a bike/run brick today but Im sore, and under-slept, so.....

NRR: Hair removal yesterday. There is no modesty in the waxing room, wow yikes.gif

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page