Anyone participating in bike to work/school month? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-04-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm currently a SAHM, but I count the commute to/from preschool as work. ;)

Is anyone else doing this?  With more than one kid?  

I'd love to talk to other MDC biking mamas. 

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#2 of 5 Old 05-24-2012, 09:34 AM

Hey there -

I've started this! My 4+ yo son has outgrown the iBert but he can still squeeze into it with ankles dangling, so that's what we're doing. I have to drive to a bike path since the road in between home and there is too dangerous, but then we're off! And some days, I do pick up like that too. It's been great for us both - I'm getting exercise, desperately needed, and he's got a lighter attitude at the transitions than just going in the car.

How are you riding?

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#3 of 5 Old 05-24-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCBMAX View Post

Hey there -

I've started this! My 4+ yo son has outgrown the iBert but he can still squeeze into it with ankles dangling, so that's what we're doing. I have to drive to a bike path since the road in between home and there is too dangerous, but then we're off! And some days, I do pick up like that too. It's been great for us both - I'm getting exercise, desperately needed, and he's got a lighter attitude at the transitions than just going in the car.

How are you riding?

I currently have my old Gary Fisher MTB with a Weehoo trailer bike on the back for the 4.5yo and an iBert on the front for the 2yo. My friend's daughter is almost 5 and is still well within the height/weight range of the iBert's safety recommendations.  I'd probably be hesitant to do it, even so.  Is your 4yo under 38 lbs.?

That said, I have a Surly Big Dummy in the works that will hopefully be ready any day now!  Hello, second car. :)

#4 of 5 Old 05-24-2012, 08:11 PM

Yah, he's still just barely 35 pounds, so we're technically fine, and even the dangling ankles don't come near the front wheel. But I do see the end of the iBert in sight. We did just get a used Adams? trailer bike, but I want to practice with that some more first (and get stronger) before we take it on the trail. Also, he's not super confident balance wise, and gee, I love that we have these nice sing a longs and chats while we ride with him up front. 

Big Surly Dummy looks great! You sure are serious. 

What kind of traffic are you in, comfortable with, etc?

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#5 of 5 Old 05-24-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCBMAX View Post

Yah, he's still just barely 35 pounds, so we're technically fine, and even the dangling ankles don't come near the front wheel. But I do see the end of the iBert in sight. We did just get a used Adams? trailer bike, but I want to practice with that some more first (and get stronger) before we take it on the trail. Also, he's not super confident balance wise, and gee, I love that we have these nice sing a longs and chats while we ride with him up front. 

Big Surly Dummy looks great! You sure are serious. 

What kind of traffic are you in, comfortable with, etc?

I live in Seattle, in the heart of things.  We have bike lanes, bike boxes, sharrows, greenways, etc.  I do the daily commute from my house with two kids to my big kid's preschool--about 12.4 miles total (two round trips), plus other adventuring.  It is Seattle, though, and it rains a lot.  I'm mostly (so far) a fair weather biker.  I avoid major traffic areas and stick to residential streets, sidewalks, or trails.  

On good weather days, we ride all over!  I love it. :)  What about you?

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page