Anyone participating in bike to work/school month? - Mothering Forums
Fitness and Weight Management > Anyone participating in bike to work/school month?
To-Fu's Avatar To-Fu 06:09 PM 05-04-2012

I'm currently a SAHM, but I count the commute to/from preschool as work. ;)

Is anyone else doing this?  With more than one kid?  

I'd love to talk to other MDC biking mamas. 

LCBMAX's Avatar LCBMAX 10:34 AM 05-24-2012

Hey there -

I've started this! My 4+ yo son has outgrown the iBert but he can still squeeze into it with ankles dangling, so that's what we're doing. I have to drive to a bike path since the road in between home and there is too dangerous, but then we're off! And some days, I do pick up like that too. It's been great for us both - I'm getting exercise, desperately needed, and he's got a lighter attitude at the transitions than just going in the car.

How are you riding?

To-Fu's Avatar To-Fu 10:55 AM 05-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCBMAX View Post

Hey there -

I've started this! My 4+ yo son has outgrown the iBert but he can still squeeze into it with ankles dangling, so that's what we're doing. I have to drive to a bike path since the road in between home and there is too dangerous, but then we're off! And some days, I do pick up like that too. It's been great for us both - I'm getting exercise, desperately needed, and he's got a lighter attitude at the transitions than just going in the car.

How are you riding?

I currently have my old Gary Fisher MTB with a Weehoo trailer bike on the back for the 4.5yo and an iBert on the front for the 2yo. My friend's daughter is almost 5 and is still well within the height/weight range of the iBert's safety recommendations.  I'd probably be hesitant to do it, even so.  Is your 4yo under 38 lbs.?

That said, I have a Surly Big Dummy in the works that will hopefully be ready any day now!  Hello, second car. :)

LCBMAX's Avatar LCBMAX 09:11 PM 05-24-2012

Yah, he's still just barely 35 pounds, so we're technically fine, and even the dangling ankles don't come near the front wheel. But I do see the end of the iBert in sight. We did just get a used Adams? trailer bike, but I want to practice with that some more first (and get stronger) before we take it on the trail. Also, he's not super confident balance wise, and gee, I love that we have these nice sing a longs and chats while we ride with him up front. 

Big Surly Dummy looks great! You sure are serious. 

What kind of traffic are you in, comfortable with, etc?

To-Fu's Avatar To-Fu 09:37 PM 05-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCBMAX View Post

Yah, he's still just barely 35 pounds, so we're technically fine, and even the dangling ankles don't come near the front wheel. But I do see the end of the iBert in sight. We did just get a used Adams? trailer bike, but I want to practice with that some more first (and get stronger) before we take it on the trail. Also, he's not super confident balance wise, and gee, I love that we have these nice sing a longs and chats while we ride with him up front. 

Big Surly Dummy looks great! You sure are serious. 

What kind of traffic are you in, comfortable with, etc?

I live in Seattle, in the heart of things.  We have bike lanes, bike boxes, sharrows, greenways, etc.  I do the daily commute from my house with two kids to my big kid's preschool--about 12.4 miles total (two round trips), plus other adventuring.  It is Seattle, though, and it rains a lot.  I'm mostly (so far) a fair weather biker.  I avoid major traffic areas and stick to residential streets, sidewalks, or trails.  

On good weather days, we ride all over!  I love it. :)  What about you?

Tags: Fitness
Up