The eight week healthy weight loss challenge - version 3.0 (starting 21/05/21) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 396 Old 05-22-2012, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

145 - starting (Monday)

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 396 Old 05-22-2012, 10:47 AM

140.8 today...

#63 of 396 Old 05-22-2012, 11:32 AM

Oh Jeez!! Whoops...here in Canada it was a long weekend, and I normally don't come on MDC on the weekends.

So I weighed in today at 155.0  and I am 5ft 8 inches tall.

Certified Crazy™ Wife to my Spiderman husband luxlove.gif(Aug '01)

Super proud Momma  to DD (Jan'00), DD (Apr '02) and DS (Jun '04)

Always loving and missing our Baby James angel.gif born sleeping at 19 weeks (July '03).

signcirc1.gif

#64 of 396 Old 05-22-2012, 11:51 AM

I am totally racing everyone! I want to be the biggest loser this go round! I lost almost three pounds of bloat by cutting out the carbs yesterday! It's just jaw dropping how puffy it makes me. It really is the fifference between belly bulge and a trim looking tummy. Well trimmer looking tummy. I am 190 lbs after all.

I've been thinking about posting a photo to see if there is a visible difference eight weeks from now. What do you guys think?

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#65 of 396 Old 05-22-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

I am totally racing everyone! I want to be the biggest loser this go round! I lost almost three pounds of bloat by cutting out the carbs yesterday! It's just jaw dropping how puffy it makes me. It really is the fifference between belly bulge and a trim looking tummy. Well trimmer looking tummy. I am 190 lbs after all.

I've been thinking about posting a photo to see if there is a visible difference eight weeks from now. What do you guys think?

go for it! I love to have pictures for comparison. thumb.gif

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#66 of 396 Old 05-22-2012, 06:22 PM

Trekkingirl - I may be joining you on the low carb camp!  I always feel better when I live low carb, but last time I tried it my milk production plumited.  So I am going to ease in 1 step at a time and see how it goes for DD and her milk! 

Step one - cut out all refined grains (stick to actual whole grains, fruit and veggies) - start tomarrow,

Step two - Cut out the grains, and just do fruit and veggies (will start if step 1 goes well)

And then hopefully I can cut back starch veggies and fruit (in an ideal world I would do one serving of fruit a day, and starchy veggies rarely and basically no grains, but I doubt highly I will get all the way there and keep my nursing lady happy.

Married to the love of my life partners.gif (career navy), and Mama to 2 amazing little ladies - K~ (03/2009)blahblah.gif and M~ (01/2011)biggrinbounce.gif always to wish I had gotten to know our little ones lost angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif   Reconfiguring my career track and working hard to keep my sanity through it all . . .

homebirth.jpgbfinfant.gifsaynovax.gifcd.gif  homeschool.gif 

#67 of 396 Old 05-23-2012, 09:42 AM

Hey there, could I join up???  I am halfway to my goal already. My Weigh in for Monday would have been 148 pounds.

I don't mind which team, just add me wherever! Thanks so much.

Joyful mama of 3.
#68 of 396 Old 05-23-2012, 01:47 PM

hmm, I wonder what is making your milk supply tank? I went through that with my DS when I was counting calories and was never able to get it back

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#69 of 396 Old 05-23-2012, 03:01 PM

I have no clue what the issue is, but I do know that my body seems to respond pretty extremely to hormones.  I have had many reproductive issues and I have never ovulated while breastfeeding.  (I can feel ovulation, so I am quite confident in this one).  The reproductive drama is part of the reason I have so much to loose in the first place.  When I am at a healthy BMI my cycles get looooooong (like ovulating 2 or 3 times a year) and when I am at a bmi on the edge overweight and obese I ovulate like clockwork at a 33 day cycle.  My doctor speculates this is all related and says he has seen other women experience the same issues.  I am very glad we are not planning on expanding our family further because I'm ready to be finished with all of the havoc reproduction and lactation are causing for my body . . . aprox 8 more months to go :D

Married to the love of my life partners.gif (career navy), and Mama to 2 amazing little ladies - K~ (03/2009)blahblah.gif and M~ (01/2011)biggrinbounce.gif always to wish I had gotten to know our little ones lost angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif   Reconfiguring my career track and working hard to keep my sanity through it all . . .

#70 of 396 Old 05-23-2012, 03:45 PM

I'd love to join, too, please. My weigh-in from Monday was 176.5. Thanks!

Mama to a little man who arrived early on 7/18/10! DS2 due in October 2013.

#71 of 396 Old 05-24-2012, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Hi Vermontgirl and PixieLittle

BFM:  I shall leave it up to you to add the newbies to a team, when you next do the weight chart.  

Trekkinggirl: I was thinking about some photos too.  Personally, I felt like I didn't see much of a change after the first challenge, but definitely can after the second.   Other people are noticing too.

I'd be keen to do a "now" photo, and compare it to "after" the challenge.  I might even have a pre-challenge one that I can use for comparison.  

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12***16***20***24**28***32*** 36***40
#72 of 396 Old 05-24-2012, 06:17 AM

I will go ahead and post our updated chart.  We are still missing a few folks, but we have most of our starting numbers at this point.

Name

Start

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 6

Week 7

Week 8

Total Loss

% Loss

Alphaghetti

Amandamarie

BlueStateMama

BarefootMama99

Buzzer Beater

BridesMother

claybear

Chelko

PMed

dbsam

Dantesmama

Dmitrizmom

FillingMyQuiver

huha

IsaFrench

lilacvioletiris

LBCMAX

Milk8shake

PixieLittle

Poiyt

Ruthiegirl

SimonMom

trekkingirl

tropicana

vermontgirl

#73 of 396 Old 05-24-2012, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I slipped up and had a couple slices of frozen pizza w/ the kids.  I can feel the "grain bloat" creeping in.angry.gif

On the positive side, I've done 2 days of C25K (Monday and Wednesday) and this afternoon I did over an hour of hard yardwork (moving wheelbarrows of wood and topsoil, building a hugelkultur bed).

I'm hoping to add in some weight training next week 2 days/ week.  Lately I'm noticing that I feel really weak in the upper body, which is difficult for me b/c before children, I felt strong.  I want to feel that way again.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#74 of 396 Old 05-25-2012, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicana View Post

8 pounds. one pound a week.

we will be close -- race you down!

You're on!

This week has been discouraging. AF is due tomorrow, and my weight does not budge the week before af comes. I've been eating better than usual, exercising every single day, but the scale has been stuck at 141 for seven days now. Gah. Hopefully I'll see a big drop-off within the next few days - I'm sooo close to the 130s and I haven't seen those digits since before I was pg with my middle son!

Re: before and after pics - you definitely should post them! They are an incredible motivation. I took my "before" pics after I had already lost about 15-20 lbs (so in the 170s), and the difference between then and now is incredible. I don't think I'd be allowed to post mine, though, since they're bra-and-undies pics!

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 and welcoming a new little one in May 2015
#75 of 396 Old 05-25-2012, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

went for a swim, did ok food wise so far

tomorrow is & 2 hours roller blading class ....

curious and hopeful for this coming Monday weigh in ....

#76 of 396 Old 05-25-2012, 08:51 AM

Hmmmm. I gotta say, the basic math of counting calories and more exercise.... works. So obvious, but I often come to basic realizations late!

I've been interested to notice that I had to handle hunger for the first few days, and struggled to keep the food numbers down, and now the hunger pangs are more tolerable and easy to respond to, and I'm having trouble keeping the numbers up to 1200. This reminds me of the other obvious epiphany - the body can get used to anything! And why not ask it to get used to a healthier state, rather than the unhealthier state. 

Heading on a trip this weekend, but will be at a hotel with a fitness center, so at least I can do that.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#77 of 396 Old 05-25-2012, 10:13 AM

my first attempt to post a pic failed! Will have to try again later

#78 of 396 Old 05-25-2012, 02:14 PM

I spaced on posting on Monday but I did take my weight - 196. Still holding strong at the 50lbs lost mark. Hoping to get into the 180s on this challenge. This week has been BAD, though, so I am hoping to just stay the same this week and start dropping again next week!

#79 of 396 Old 05-26-2012, 12:49 AM

stayed too long in front of the TV last night and ended up eating choc cookies and doing crochet

bad habits die hard, why can't i be more clever than that ?

i had lost about 2lb at the beginning of the week, it's just as if my body tells me so and add "eat to make it up ...."

#80 of 396 Old 05-26-2012, 04:38 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Yesterday DH was told that he does in fact have sperm - 25 of them in the last sperm assay, when 40 million or more is needed to "effect natural pregnancy".  I need to get cracking on losing weight because it looks like IVF with ICSI will be necessary.  We see the fertility doctor on June 12.  Must exercise more.  Went to Curves for women yesterday and had my body fat analysis done - 101 fat pounds.  I need to get back to exercising there more often

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#81 of 396 Old 05-26-2012, 08:36 AM

dantesmama - i was plateaued on 144 for a good 4-6 weeks. what finally worked was changing up my routine of eating. i had been cutting off food at 5 pm (which worked well for a long time - i dropped more than 40 pounds that way). BUT what got me off the plateau was actually eating more. seems i might have been in "starvation mode" after 5 pm (although i did eat very well during the rest of the day). anyways, nowadays i am eating as late as 6-7 pm.

i am finding i have to limit salt SEVERELY. sweets i can get away with and still lose. BUT if i so much as eat a hot dog or a hamburger off the grill, i gain.

hmmm.

#82 of 396 Old 05-26-2012, 11:44 AM

I just finished week 7 of C25K, so I am down to 2 more weeks to go.  I am pretty excited about my progress back in to the world of running (I ran crosscounrty as a teen) and I have been reading up on training recommendations from the pros so that I can create a reasonable ongoing schedule.  My new running goals are to build a solid base of milage over the next year, slowly increasing to more average 10k type milage bu this time next year.  If all goes well, I would then like to spend fall of 2013 training for the Jan 2014 Charleston Marathon.  I can't beleive I am contemplating this but I REALLY need an very long term goal to work towards or I know I will fall off the wagon.  I have very on again, off again with working out since having children and I feel the need to be very motivated to re-cultivate a habit of consistant workouts over the long haul.  Plus, when I work out I naturally tend towards eating better.

For all you ladies who use work out videos, I am looking for a new resistance/strength type training video.  My current one is great, but it is very lunge heavy and is really irritating an old ACL injury I have.  So I am looking for a good strength workout in 40 minutes or less that does not have you doing tons of lunges.  Any ideas?

Also, for those with pre-school aged children (ie your kids are not attending school and not old enough to be on their own for an hour while you work out) wwhat is your favorite way to sqeeze in more activity and/or your regular work out?

Aerobic workout wise, how do you keep it fun/interesting?  What kind of aerobic workouts do you do outside of the classic running/cycling/swimming?

Anyone tried Zumba?  Have a good zumba video recommendation?

Ok, I will stop asking questions - as you can tell, I am trying to spice up my routine and find some ways to keep moving in the long run!!!!

#83 of 396 Old 05-27-2012, 09:56 AM

Tropicana, I'm hoping this isn't a true plateau and is just af-related. I don't have regular cycles but when I last had my period in March, I was stuck at the same weight for a week or so. I'm down a tiny bit now, and when I checked my body fat % on the scale (which i know isn't necessarily accurate, but it gives consistent results so I'm confident it accurately reflects changes) my fat % had decreased and my water % was higher than normal, plus my fingers are puffy. I get paranoid about hitting a major plateau because I've lost about 55 lbs so far without hitting one. *crossing fingers*

Barefootmama, I love doing Ellen Barrett's DVDs for cardio and light strength. I've noticed real changes in my body since working out with her regularly, but I never feel like I'm killing myself exercising.

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 and welcoming a new little one in May 2015
#84 of 396 Old 05-28-2012, 01:52 AM

165.5 for blue team

.... a very very small loss ... every time i loose a pound or two, am quite sure I over-eat over the next 3 or 4 days and put it back on

so ... a 0.1 lb loss for me this week !

very little activity on Sunday ... but am going to go to the beginner's dance class tonight that is (but not usually) taking place just before my usual intermediate level class .... + need to review some of the moves and practice this afternoon, when DH leaves with our youngest for a little while (two eldest ones are conveniently invited to a pool party)

+ tomorrow morning, back to the swimming pool (I forgot my salad and cool bag there on Friday am, so I "need" to go and retrieve my bag, ... hoping someone hat thrown away the salad on Friday ... or eaten it ?)

#85 of 396 Old 05-28-2012, 06:52 AM

correction, ... a 0.2 lb loss ! (not 0.1 !!!)

#86 of 396 Old 05-28-2012, 06:53 AM

166.2 :)

I've been going to the gym and weightlifting for the past month or so. I really enjoy it and it's become part of my routine. I'm even going this morning on memorial day..a holiday..woo! :D

mom to jumpers.gif crazy boys
#87 of 396 Old 05-28-2012, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

242.8 for the blue team this time.  yikes way too much salt and food this weekend with graduation parties and other graduation events.  Today is a new day!

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#88 of 396 Old 05-28-2012, 07:47 AM

It's not much but I'll take it!

#89 of 396 Old 05-28-2012, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

*sigh*  167.0 for the Blue Team.  A gain of .6lbs for me.  Incredibly frustrating b/c I was consistent in my workouts and ate pretty well all week.  I am waiting on my period, so maybe that has something to do w/ it.  Of course DH gave me the whole muscle-fat spiel which I know may also be the case.  Guess I'll have to put in an even better effort next week.

Sorry Blue team.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#90 of 396 Old 05-28-2012, 08:40 AM

236.2  not much loss - sorry

Tags
Weight Management , Fitness

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page