Mothering Forum banner

The eight week healthy weight loss challenge - version 3.0 (starting 21/05/21)

14K views 396 replies 30 participants last post by  PaulBruce 
#1 ·
The first (and second!) eight week challenge were a great success, and many of us are up for another eight weeks - we're opening it up for any newbies who would like to join the next round of the challenge. Please read below.

Background:

The thought came to my head because I joined the "losing weight in 2012" thread, but I didn't have much motivation, and I had no-one to be accountable to. I was thinking about the Biggest Loser, and how teams can be such a motivation. So, I thought I would throw this out there for anyone who needs to get some weight loss happening, but just can't seem to get off the couch.

The challenge:

Commit to an eight week weight loss challenge. You'll be assigned to a team, and your weight loss percentage will be measured on an individual and a team basis. The team with the highest loss percentage at the end of the eight weeks will be the winner. This is a TEAM effort. If you lose, your team wins! Your weekly progress will be updated on the leader board for all to see.

The requirements:

You have to be willing to commit to the full eight weeks beginning 21/05/12

You have to be willing to commit to exercising a minimum of 4 x 30 minute sessions per week - the type of exercise is up to you!

You have to be willing to check in and update your progress and weight at least weekly on Mondays.

You have to be willing to share your weight and your height. (By PM if you are shy)

You may not join if losing 1 lb / .5 kg per week will put you in an underweight category according to your BMI (check here) at the end of eight weeks

The prize:

A thinner waistline, and the opportunity to bask in the glory of the winning team.

Please note that this is posted just for signups at this time. The challenge will not start until 21/05/12.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm in! I will post my start weight on the 21st.

#3 ·
This round I'm in!! I've made major changes in my diet (gluten and dairy free) and vacation craziness is over and I'm a big push for summer!!

#5 ·
Add me please.

I'm glad to have a break before we start on the 21st. I've got a mother's day brunch that is to die for and several birthdays in there.

Trying to think of things I can do to help me get more motivated and stick to reasonable amounts of food. I'm not eating junk (for the most part) I am just hungry!! all! the! time!

#17 ·
I am in for round 3 (round 2 that I have been in). It keeps me accountable each week knowing I will have to report at the end of the week. Looking forward to May 21!

#20 ·
Wow, a pretty good response already! I hope those of you from v2.0 are having a nice (but not naughty) break. Can't wait to get started again
biggrinbounce.gif

Welcome to the newbies too!

#21 ·
OK, I'm here like dbsam, I made a very poor showing in the last round, but wow am I motivated now.

Have never counted calories before, just carbs, but now I'm doing both (on sparkpeople, same username.)

Have rearranged my life for 30 min exercise or more per day dammit.

Have GOT to get over this hump or I'm gonna end up sick and too bummed out to even get dressed!

Will be back on the 21st!

#22 ·
i would like to re-up. i lost 8 pounds on the last round, and if i could do that again, i'd go from 140 to 132, and that would be AWESOME. i'm 5'6 1/2". i was 187 back in november, so have already lost a significant amount of weight. now i want to look *really* good, since i'm on a roll and all. thanks!!

#23 ·
Sign me up!! It may be a little difficult to exercise and eat healthily the entire time, as I am moving cities during this challenge, but I sure as heck am ready to commit!

So excited to be able to have some weight loss buddies. Good luck everyone. Will post with my weight on Monday.

#24 ·
Oh, and just wanted to add for those who have smartphones, I have an app called MyFitnessPal that tracks your calories and exercise daily, and very annoyingly reminds you when you've forgotten to input for the day. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.