Calorie counting confusion - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-20-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've never before been a calorie counter, though sometimes a carb counter, but for some reason I got all reactionary and refused to count calories... til now.

I'm hitting some kind of pre-menopausal metabolic brick wall, and can't seem to lose anything by my traditional methods (reduce refined carbs, increase exercise.) So now I'm calorie counting. And exercising a LOT more.

My BMI is 25.6 with my weight at 154 and my age at 44.

So, can someone tell me a good resource for calculating how many calories per day I need to maintain a metabolic incentive to lose, not move my body into a starvation-type thing where it holds onto weight, but still reduce enough to lose?

I'm using sparkpeople and I find their calorie counter to overestimate compared to my food package labels, but I guess that's fine. I'm sure this is an extremely inexact science. But their feedback button told me that less than 1200 per day might cause my body to hold weight rather than lose (I was at 900 that day.) So I added some fruit, brought it up close to 1200, and the next day saw my weight increase. Ahem! Might I just be someone who needs less than their computer figures?

Your advice and experience would be appreciated!

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#2 of 2 Old 05-20-2012, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

www.caloriesperhour.com is a good site - you can put in your specific activities and get more accurate ideas about what you are burning. 

That being said, in my experience most calorie counters over estimate calories needed.

Good luck!!!!

Married to the love of my life partners.gif (career navy), and Mama to 2 amazing little ladies - K~ (03/2009)blahblah.gif and M~ (01/2011)biggrinbounce.gif always to wish I had gotten to know our little ones lost angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif   Reconfiguring my career track and working hard to keep my sanity through it all . . .

homebirth.jpgbfinfant.gifsaynovax.gifcd.gif  homeschool.gif 

Tags
Weight Management , Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page