Non-Recti Diastasis Post Partum - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-24-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a horizontal "diastasis" (not recti since it isn't up and down but from side to side, mostly on the left side of my abdomen, but it goes over to the middle of my right side.)

I had twins (6 pounds each) on March 22, 2011. They are my 3rd and 4th children, so my abdominal muscles are pretty stretched out. After my 2nd child born in 2000, I was already pretty saggy in that spot, but now there's a big bulge and it seems to be getting bigger as time progresses. I'm not sure if the surgeon using 8 very strong stitches caused my diastasis, but it's been a problem ever since the babies were born c-section on March 22, 2011. It had hurt so much, even beyond the pain meds they gave me for post partum recovery. I didn't lift anything heavier than my babies and only lifted one at a time during that 6 weeks of recovery.

I have had a CT scan in December 2011 and the doctor said that it's a "diastasis", not a hernia since there are no torn tissues. He said,"Exercise, any kind will do...no surgery needed since there's no tearing. Good luck!" I can only find "diastasis recti" when I search. I was lucky to find this page by typing "-recti" when I Googled for diastasis. This surgeon also found ovarian cysts, but only made note in my records. My primary doctor told me on May 11, 2012 that they exist. I made an appointment with the surgeon to find out what's going on! :P 

I have been wearing my aunt's hernia belts, but they are painful since I need the support underneath, not all up and down. Her belts (elastic with boning) are rubbing/chafing me on the top and I have to close them and shove them downwards since my bulge is on the bottom, right above my thighs. Since I need the support underneath, the boning of the support rubs my thighs when I'm sitting and also at the top. My mom is trying to help me find the right belt. She's calling around, but nobody knows what we're talking about.

The twins are my 3rd and 4th children, so my muscles are pretty worn out down there. Births in 1997, 2000, and 2011.

Several people on this site have mentioned "belly splint", but no one has shown a picture or offered a link to such that I have found. My mom and I went to Arlington Medical Supply and they never heard of a "belly splint". All they could figure is I should use a male's rib support and just push it way down, but it gives me a horrible "muffin top"! :P

Thanks for any info anyone can give me! :)

#2 of 2 Old 05-30-2012, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Start rehab by building A LOT of strength into your deepest abdominal muscle, your Transverse Abdominis, or TvA.

This is our body’s internal “girdle” and when contracted, compresses the abdomen. (Like pelvic floor muscles, the TvA does not move bone.) Compression of the abdominal wall will reduce the tensile (stretching) forces on your muscles and most importantly for you, your fascia.

Then after this muscle has regained a foundation of strength, progress to basic postpartum exercises that train the muscle to function properly as a stabilizer. All of these exercises should include lower spine flexion, rather than upper spine flexion.

Do NOT perform any abdominal exercises that lift/flex the upper body off the floor or against the force of gravity, or those that twist the spine, as these moves will worsen your condition.

To protect your abdominal fascia and prevent further separation, always use the “log roll” technique when rising from the floor, or getting out of bed.

BeFit-Mom

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page