Mothering Forum banner

Fitting in the gym

839 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BarefootMama99 
#1 ·
I'm hoping to get some advice from other SAHM who have a gym membership. I've recently transitioned to SAHM status and am finding it difficult to balance gym time for me, play dates, and the list of to-do's around the house. In the past I would go to the gym before picking up DS from daycare, but that doesn't work anymore. He can come with me, but I'm finding that if I take the classes I'm interested in (my main reason for the gym membership) and then do some cardio on top of that, I'm at the gym for close to 2 hours. Usually this falls smack in the middle of prime plate date hours. I'd like to workout 5-6 times a week. I've gained a lot of weight this past year and need to kick it in the bud. I do have some videos, weights, & an indoor rower at home, so some of my workouts could be done here. But, then it's what to do with DS while I get a decent workout.

I'm sure my expectations are too high, and it's OK to call me out on that. What I'm really looking for are some examples/suggestions of what your day looks like with a workout (home or gym) included. Thanks.

#3 ·
My kids aren't always enthused about going, though they do have fun once they get there. Because of that, it is easier for us to go in the afternoon after lunch. The daycare isn't overrun with kids at that time, they like the extra attention.

In theory, we go MWF at 830 for a toning class - it is exceptionally early for us and only happens sometimes. I usually don't do any cardio after that, though I'd like to. It's a 30 minute class and we can be out the door in an hour, in time for a playdate. On days I don't do the toning class, we go late morning before lunch or early afternoon.

I keep my workouts 60-70 minutes, 3-5 days a week.

#4 ·
Well, my workouts are not that long, and we just moved so we don't have regular play dates to schedule around yet. I have a 1 year old and a 3year old and the only time it is realistic for me to workout is in the morning before they wake up. I get up at 5:30 am, putter around, streching, drinking my 1/2 cup of coffee, get dressed and so forth. Then I work out for about 1 hour (I use our elliptical in the garage on Tues/Thurs, do strength training with weights Wed/Sun, road run sat) and on Mon/Wed I workout at the gym when my husband gets home from work, so he has the kids. My gym days are also only about 1 hour of workout time. So that has me working out 7 times a week, with 1 day off (friday) and one day with 2 workouts (wednesday) and a varied workout plan (cycling @ gym, elliptical, running, and strength training). I start "mama-duty" at 7 am if the kids are up, and sneek in a shower when I can, or if they will sleep in a few extra minutes I can get in a quick shower right after my workout.

I might do it differently if I did not have little bitty kids, and I will have to re-evaluate the next time my husband deploys on how to get my gym time in, but it is working for now. I think this will be relatively sustainable even when I am back to work and during our homeschool year. The vast majority of it will even work with temporary navy-induced single parenting.

The more you can problem solve and roll with the punches the better off you are. Also, having the flexibility to workout at home as well as at the gym is key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.