Oooh...aaahh...Dingoes Dodging Fireworks in July! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 166 Old 07-20-2012, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Madly catching up! Quick recap of my week: contractors/restoration folks delayed until next week. Interview went okay, though the other interviewees were also internal and who knows which way they'll decide. I'm pretty zen either way. Fit in a quick run post-interview, pre-family dinner with kids, sister, nieces, etc. Second to last week of clinical teaching.

Yesterday we made the trip up for extended weekend and family celebration for grandma's 99th. I'm staying with a friend who lives nearby, and husband has gone up to visit friends/colleagues from his "away" job. I discovered this morning that my youngest thought he was moving back, which may explain some of the horrific whining and rudeness from our car trip yesterday.

Bec, awesome RR! I'm amazed at your strength to power through on the bike and run!!

Jo, blessed Ramadan.

Sparkle, I bookmarked the Caitlin Moran book for when my library hopefully gets it. Sounds fun! And I want to crash your weekend with Plady. Thinking...(PLADY: how Many ferries to you from Victoria? Can I do it on foot?)

Dimitrizmom- enjoy your break from teaching and your new exercise/tri-training schedule!!

Hi to everyone else!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#122 of 166 Old 07-20-2012, 07:57 AM

MelW - babyf.gif That's me doing summersaults about the prospect of you coming to Plady's (and I just wanted an excuse to use that smilie) I am currently google-mapping where you are in relation...

Jo - Blessed Ramadan

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#123 of 166 Old 07-20-2012, 10:21 AM

I'm a 3 hour drive north of Victoria/Sidney, but I'm can't remember which island Plady is on. It looks possible, though. I work Friday for the college and have a shift booked for the stat on Monday, but might be able to come down Friday evening or on Sat morning of the long weekend and head home on Sunday. For the short turn around I could mayb leave my dinglets at home.

#124 of 166 Old 07-20-2012, 02:47 PM

I feel like I have fallen behind here and everywhere else. I dropped several balls that I was juggling yesterday and went to bed in tears. This mornings workout was the best all week (new shoes!) so that helped as does coming here to find some great reading lists. I used kerc's idea wrt to dawn and h202 on my shirts and dress. The odor is out but the stains remain.

shanti, I wish I had something to add that would be helpful other than to say that you will get this figured out. I know you can do it.

nic, you sound so happy trail running at your parents. Is everybody home now? We didn't hear about the wreck your husband made of the house while you were gone. lol.gif

jo, Blessed Ramadan.

bec, your race report was the best!

geo, I might go for the underarm pads for special events before I tried botox. There is a drug used for bladder issues that has a side effect of dry mouth and less sweating but I cannot remember the name.

plady, I hope both the cough and the bad chi are self contained and short lived. Enjoy your visit as best you can under the circumstances. And Woohoo for dingo meetups. I have made a few in the midwest but it seems both you and sparkle were here and I lamely could not make it happen.

jaygee I am with bbm on the joy and grimace at more swim meets. You deserve a special treat for sitting through these extremely hot meets.

real, good luck and I hope the construction is at the right stopping point when you leave.

Hi RM! Please don't lose me if the fb group goes secret. I am not very good at keeping track of these things lately.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#125 of 166 Old 07-20-2012, 03:04 PM

The house was indeed a disaster when I got home Mommajb. eyesroll.gif After about 40 minutes of scrubbing and sweeping it was ok. I am reaching the end of my rope. I guess it keeps getting longer as I keep reaching the end but I am slowly but surely laying plans. Life is too short to live in misery. You know?

That's actually my mood today so I'll keep it short. The day started off well with a good track workout but has slid downhill from there with various aggravations and small cruelties. My anxiety level is sky high. ugh. And feeling very much like I have never as an adult felt 'at home' anywhere and wonder if I will.

My girls are coming home on Sunday so that's exciting. 

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#126 of 166 Old 07-20-2012, 05:30 PM

MelW - I'll be at Plady's Th afternoon -S morning crap.gif Ah well, I'll just have to make my way to Canada one of these days wink1.gif

MJB - I'm fairly certain that I completely forgot to follow up on a meet-up while I was there. Climbing drama just overtook my brain, like the blob bag.gif

Nic - knowing yourself and what you want/dont want is the first step in creating a home. You WILL get there

RR: nope

NRR: So I discovered the magazine MORE at my haircutter. Turns out, a mag. for women over 40 really does appeal to this woman over 40 lol.gif I mention it b/c this months has a segment on book recommendations, wherein a bunch of writers recommend recent books they like. I may follow up on some of those if the one Im waiting for from the library doesnt come through before my ROAD-TRIP next week broc1.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#127 of 166 Old 07-20-2012, 07:49 PM

Nick--so sorry about the mess and the rest of it.

sparkle-- lol.gif about the magazine. I can see it. At the end of last week's adventure run, I ended up running next to a woman who was obviously in her early 20s and suddenly, it became obvious just how not-in my 20s I am, yk? lol.gif

mommajb--I think we all feel like we've fallen behind, all the time. That doesn't make it any better, but at least you have company, right?

1jooj--Blessed Ramadan to you.

MelW--hope the trip goes well. It might amuse you to learn that my youngest woke up this morning at her grandmother's house and immediately said "now we can't get home!" when she realized where we were. I assured her that planes fly both ways and she was greatly relieved.

Plady & MelW--have a great Dingo meetup!

JayGee--praying for rain for you. Reading the stories this week brought back memories of '88, though that year the corn barely grew at all. That seems to be the case in Colorado this year because we had such a dry spring, but I don't drive through cornfields every day like I used to in Illinois. I hope it cools off soon.

tjsmama--hope you were able to get some dreamless, peaceful sleep today. hug2.gif

Hi to everyone I'm forgetting.

RR: 6 miles in Rochester. I needed that run.

NRR: horrified by the news out of Colorado today. And one of the latest crazy updates I read said that they were searching to campus research buildings and had sent everyone home. Guess Paul would have been home early if we weren't already on vacation. Of course, that's not nearly as horrible as poor tjsmama being at work when it happened.

Tankless water heater: we only got to use it for a few days before traveling, but I like it a lot. If anyone is thinking about one, I'd strongly advise not waiting until your water heater dies or is leaking to get one because retrofitting is a process. Also, think about having a regular plumber do it rather than going the big box hardware store route, or at least get a couple of quotes. Anyhow, in our case, they had to move the dryer vent and a hose spigot, run new piping to the water heater because it needed to be located on the wall of the house, drill some holes to vent it, and also run a separate gas line along the side of the house to the water heater. They said tankless heaters need a 1" gas line in the house or there won't be enough gas for the heater and water heater in the winter. Ours was only 3/4" so that's why they ran a new line. It's a bit odd as it runs from the side of our house and halfway around the back, but it's mostly hidden by plants (and weeds bag.gif) on the side of the house. There are plants in the back too, but they're not quite as tall. It's below the window though, so not a big deal. There are some places in the siding that we need to path or something now, but it's not like our siding is in great shape to begin with so no loss there.

Probably the biggest change is that because the piping is slightly different, we need to run the water longer in the upstairs bathroom to get hot water. Turning on the hot water activates the water heater, and then it just has to get up there. Previously, the water heater was directly underneath the bathroom sink and we didn't have a delay. The delay isn't much because the new water heater is only 6 feet away from where the old one was, but it's the one thing I've definitely noticed. i'll note that we have a bi-level where all the water needs are centralized. When we're in the mountains, it takes for-evah for water to get from the water heater up to the kitchen sink. I usually on the hot water and fill a couple of jugs for watering plants before it warms up.

They say we could run both showers and the dishwasher and more and never run out of hot water. I'm assuming this will be a wonderful thing when R and J are old enough to both be taking showers in the morning!

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#128 of 166 Old 07-20-2012, 09:37 PM

Checking in with a heavy heart...as real mentioned, I was at work last night when the shooting happened, and my hospital received the majority of the victims. We were put on our disaster response plan, which from all accounts ran completely smoothly. Fortunately (I guess), we were pretty insulated from the chaos. We actually all felt really helpless because there wasn't much that we, as OB nurses, could do. Our charge nurse offered up our labor rooms as PACU rooms, if necessary (our C-section patients recover in their labor room), and our labor nurses could do PACU recoveries in a pinch, but it didn't come to that. We joked that, well, we could go down and help start IVs, but that's about it. So all I could do was take care of my patients and keep checking the news to see what the latest was. It was just totally surreal to hear them announce that we were on the disaster plan, followed with "this is not a drill". And then to walk out this morning and see all the satellite trucks lined up... There was a 4 month old down in the ED whose mother had been shot, so one of our nurses took some formula and diapers down for them, and she said it was just an unreal scene: people everywhere with blood all over their clothes. :-( Our poor hospital manager looked like death warmed over when she finally got to do her rounds around 5 am (she had called in another manager to man the command center by then). The shooter was a neurosciences student on the medical campus, and my team captain for the Courage Classic is a neuroscience prof, and we have several neuroscience students on the team as well. It's all just unbelievable.

In happier news, I'm up in the mountains and ready to start riding tomorrow morning for the Courage Classic. As I was driving up this afternoon, I looked at the beauty of the mountains around me and just was so entirely thankful for the opportunity to get on my bike and let nature sooth my soul this weekend. Day 1 tomorrow will be about 55 miles, from Leadville to Turquoise Lake and down to Copper Mountain, followed by an optional trip up (and down) Vail Pass. I'm a little disappointed because they had to reroute the ride due to a major sinkhole in the middle of the highway, so we're essentially doing Day 3's ride backwards, but oh well. I managed to hit my $1000 fundraising goal, so I guess I'll be riding the century on day 2. EEK. It could be very, very ugly.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#129 of 166 Old 07-21-2012, 07:10 AM

bikenew.gifRide like the wind Gaye hug.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#130 of 166 Old 07-21-2012, 08:27 AM

Morning mamas,

Real - Here's hoping you have a remarkably enjoyable time in NY!

Gaye - Happy pedaling!  I'm so sorry for those poor people!  Even though you weren't super involved in their care it must feel a little satisfying to have been able to help at all.

MelW - I'm on San Juan so the ferry from Sidney to Friday Harbor will get you to us!  I haven't double checked but I think the ferry normally only makes one R/T a day so you'll have to spend the night, but that's okay!  We can swing that!  joy.gif  It will be so fun to look out at your island and you can point toward which mountain is nearest you!  And yes, you can definitely do it on foot!

Whew, another rough night of children coughing themselves to death last night. I was kicking myself as I knew I would after letting dh talk me into cancelling the appointment I had at the dr for Alison.  I don't know that they would have had any better answers but when she was having about the worst time ever at midnight (and 2 and 3 and 4)  I just felt like the world's worst mom with nothing up my sleeve but cold air and my own inhaler which she was too scared to try so I was trying to time a puff in front of her as she gasped for breath between coughs.  I think dh will get to make the call the on-call doc later today.

Jo - Thinking of you and your long long days.  Hope you find it especially reinvigorating. 

Okay, off to farm chores.  blowkiss.gif

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#131 of 166 Old 07-21-2012, 10:53 AM

Plady - how long have they had it? My kids have had coughs like that, but the really bad nights last for only about 3-4. The coughing is definitely worse at night, and the whole thing can last 2-3 weeks. Pertussis? We have used an inhaler here and there, but mostly I cant tell much difference. We have found that propping them up to sleep (making a pile of pillows that they lean against while sleeping) is the best way to get them through the night. I hope they feel better greensad.gif They must be so exhausted goodvibes.gif

#132 of 166 Old 07-21-2012, 09:16 PM

Courage Classic day 1 is in the books. It was a good day. I spent a lot of it riding by myself, since my one friend ended up being way faster than me and the other ended up being way slower. But, we mostly caught up at the aid stations, so it was all good. The weather was just about perfect, not too hot and sunny. It was a beautiful, hard ride. We ended up doing the optional leg up to the top of Vail Pass after lunch, for a total of 55 miles today. I am tired, but not too sore yet. Tomorrow: the century ride. yikes.gif

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#133 of 166 Old 07-21-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

Plady - how long have they had it? My kids have had coughs like that, but the really bad nights last for only about 3-4. The coughing is definitely worse at night, and the whole thing can last 2-3 weeks. Pertussis? We have used an inhaler here and there, but mostly I cant tell much difference. We have found that propping them up to sleep (making a pile of pillows that they lean against while sleeping) is the best way to get them through the night. I hope they feel better greensad.gif They must be so exhausted goodvibes.gif

I didn't really think pertussis since they don't seem *that* congested and they don't have super long coughing jags.  And, when I brought C in to the dr it never came up as a possibility and since it's an epidemic in the state you think the dr would speak up.  Anyway, it just gets worse at night and then during the day both of them have nearly normal energy and do a full summer day worth of stuff which is why I think it's been hanging on for so long, a month for C, about 2 weeks for me and a week for Ali.  I did buy a humidifier today and taught Ali how to get a bit of a puff from an inhaler, now they're all vapo rubbed up and propped up in bed and I have some hope of sleeping through the night without a huge scene.

Gaye - You are incredible mama!  I was trying to channel your culinary just-do-it-ness as I made jam for the first time ever today from the sour cherries from our tree.  If it works out I may have a new addiction (yeah, just as I embark on a no sugar life eyesroll.gif)

#134 of 166 Old 07-22-2012, 07:17 AM

Plady - sounds like pertussis to me. My kids were never congested, and the cough got worse at night and they were pretty normal all day (we all had it in Jan), with some/less coughing and less energy b/c they'd had bad sleep for too many nights shrug.gif Dh said maybe the dr didnt bring it up b/c there's nothing to be done. The timeline and symptoms sound right to me. It took me 3 weeks. It sucked

RR: we are leaving for our annual trip to the Sierra in 3 days. I am bringing my bike. I have not ridden outdoors since the same trip last year. The road is a category 2. The climbs on the Tour de France are called "beyond category", then there's category 1, and then this one. Its so brutal that you can almost not pedal (like, you are fighting the backward roll with each pedal-stroke.... at least I am) and it goes on for 4 miles (the whole ride is 32, w/ more hills, but this one is the worst, and its the first thing you hit when you start the first pedal stroke). Yes, this will possibly be my first real work-out in months nono.gif

NRR: prepping for trip.... picking up DD from her second week of music camp (1st was 3 weeks ago, then home, then back...) and I'm excited! This week has gone S.L.O.W.

#135 of 166 Old 07-22-2012, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

tjsmama - sending so much love to you and hope you all have some good support at work to recover from this tragedy  grouphug.gif

#136 of 166 Old 07-22-2012, 09:58 PM

plady~Yay for homemade jam! It's so easy and inexpensive (relatively speaking) and without all the added crap. I may have to make some more next month when the peaches really come in. yummy.gif

Copying and pasting from my dailymile post because I am too tired to retype:

Woohoo, I did it! And I have proof this year...no crapping out of the Garmin at mile 64! It was a tough ride. Started off by freezing our tushes off riding through the canyon from Copper to Frisco. Had an awesome ride north of Silverthorne on Highway 9. I felt strong and was averaging well over 20 mph. Then it was time to climb Ute Pass, and I didn't feel so fabulous anymore. :-) The view from the top is totally worth it (but do they really have to make us go OVER the pass and then climb back up??).

Back into Silverthorne, not feeling quite so good, but still averaging a pretty good pace. I took way too long at the aid station in Silverthorne, getting my bike tweaked, applying chamois cream, and eating vociferously. the climb into Keystone was pretty painful, especially when it started raining. Luckily, it only rained hard for about 10 minutes. But then I flatted. Crap. Thank you to the two very nice men who stopped and loaned me a little muscle as I changed my (disgustingly wet and dirty) tire. I got into the aid station at Keystone to find them almost packed up because someone had mistakenly told them that there weren't any more riders coming. Boo. Luckily, the mechanic was still there so I had him check my work on the tire change.

The ride got pretty lonely after Keystone. It seemed like most people had cut the ride short because of the rain, or skipped the Keystone stop and just headed over Swan Mountain (cheaters!). I headed up Swan Mountain, not at all excited about the climb. Plus, I had realized that, partially thanks to my flat tire, I was going to have to HAUL to make it to the lunch stop before it closed. I am pleased to report that there was NO crying on Swan Mountain this year! It sucked, but I did it, and did not bonk. I stopped just long enough at the aid station at the top to refill my water bottle, then flew down the mountain and hauled as fast as I possibly could (which was not very) into Breckenridge to the lunch stop. I pulled in one minute before the scheduled closing time. They were nice enough to leave the food up long enough for all the remaining riders to eat, although it was pretty picked over by that point.

Again, I stopped way too long, but my motivation was severely lacking at this point of the ride. I had figured out that I was almost definitely going to miss the team photo, but oh well. I still just wanted to get done as quickly as I could, so I pedaled my legs off. I felt surprisingly good, considering, maybe thanks to the mountain dew I had at lunch. :-) I skipped the last aid station and hit the home stretch. Which, of course, sucked. Hard. My legs hurt SO bad on the stretch from Frisco back to Copper, but I was so close! I hit the main entrance to Copper at 97 miles, so I knew I was going to have to go a little farther to see the magic 1-0-0 on my Garmin, so I passed the finish line, went around the roundabout, and rode back out to the main entrance. Back into Copper, and this time, I made the turn into the village and the finish line! I hit the finish line at 100.2 miles. :-)

One more day. It's gonna hurt!

#137 of 166 Old 07-23-2012, 09:52 PM

sparkle~Yesterday's ride had 4 category 2 climbs, and today had 2 more. I feel your pain, literally. orngbiggrin.gif

shanti~Thank you. hug.gif

Again, I am exhausted, so copying from my dailymile post about day 3's ride:

OUCH. That's how I felt this morning when I climbed on my bike for the last day of the Courage Classic. I was pretty sure I was going to cry as I shifted into granny gear within seconds of leaving Copper Mountain to climb up Fremont Pass. Fortunately, after the first aid station, the climb wasn't quite so bad, and my quads weren't burning quite so much. Don't get me wrong, they were still screaming, but it was workable. After summitting Fremont Pass for the second time on the weekend, we went screaming down the hill into Leadville. I felt strong on the descent/flats into town, but before long, we were at the junction and had to make the decision...turn right to go around Turquoise Lake, or go left and straight to the finish line? Around the lake, of course! There were a few moments of regret on the long climb up the north side of the lake, but overall, I'm glad we did it. A couple more fun downhills, and we were back on the gradual climb back to town and the finish line.

3 days, 200 miles, a lot of pain, a lot of fun. This event is SO wonderful. The volunteers are absolutely the best out there, the scenery can't be beat, and the best part...supporting Children's Hospital Colorado. I may not be able to move for a few days, but it was absolutely worth it!

I am in SO much pain right now. There will be no working out tomorrow. Zero. Zilch. Nada. orngtongue.gif

#138 of 166 Old 07-23-2012, 10:08 PM

WAY TO GO TJSMAMA!! bow.gifclap.gif

plady--hope your kids get some rest and that it's not whooping cough.

RR: 3 today, 8.75 yesterday. Hot. Humid. Bleh.

NRR: Mostly a pleasant visit, with some of the usual madness. Some unexpected good stuff too, so that's good. We're in a nice motel tonight (wireless! in-room coffee maker! mini-fridge!!! balcony overlooking the St. Lawrence River, with a view of Canada on the other side!) and I'm loving it. Tomorrow is the cat-hair-infested in-law house that makes me cough the minute I walk in, but only for one more night before we head home.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#139 of 166 Old 07-24-2012, 05:50 AM

Gaye, wow! You rock mama!

My girls are back home. So happy to have them back. At almost 9 a.m they are still sleeping or lolling about in bed. I don't think they had more than 6 hours of sleep a night for the whole month. I am thrilled they had such a great time. I am astonished at the mess I had to wade through yesterday with laundry, junk, etc. The before and after of overnight camp is not for the faint of heart. lol.gif

Woke at 4 a.m. this morning because I had plans to run with someone at 4:45 (h had to leave for work by 6). It was storming so we texted back and forth and decided not to run. Then 4 minutes before I had to leave, noticed it had stopped so we decided to go for it. Blasted out of here with 2 cups of Gatorade and proceeded to have a really good run. I felt so peppy! Blue Gatorade is truly the epitome of nasty but I guess it did its job. 

Much work to do today and the kids are all home....

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#140 of 166 Old 07-24-2012, 07:50 AM
bec

Awesome, awesome, awesome report Gaye!!!  Still on the fence about working up to a century ride.  My low back seems to cramp up, and then, of course, the girly parts are not thrilled with anything over 40 miles!

Plady - I hope that the sickies pass soon.  As a kid, I would always get long, lingering, painful coughs.  They were horrible, and I think allergy/asthma related (so no suggestions, just sympathy).  My mom smoked throughout my childhood, and I'm sure it had a huge impact on my health because I have not had anything like it since leaving for college. 

RR: My tri class is officially over, but the teacher decided to do a 6 week filler class until the fall session starts up again at her house.  It is only $25, and she has basically created a boot camp in her back yard!  We did a mile warmup, followed by a whole bunch of different stations.  She made sure to make them fun, like a trampoline jump, a balance beam tug-o-war, basketball shooting (pushups if you missed), running through a sprinkler/slip and slide, and a bunch more.  She ended with ice cream!  Lots of fun. 

NRR: Worked 8 hours last night until the middle of the night.  Got home around 3 in the morning!  It was kind of brutal.  I like being the reliable, go-to girl on these things, but it would have been kind of nice to have been sent home at 12:30 like everyone else!  On the other hand, I got to do special projects like expand orange to fill some empty wall space.  That, literally being all the direction I got.  I love being able to make my own decisions about merchandising.  But, I don't like doing it in the middle of the night!  If the travel wasn't stupid, I would love to be on the team that goes around and opens new stores.  But, it's like 100% travel.  The people that do that for this company see their homes like one weekend a month!  It's crazy. 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#141 of 166 Old 07-24-2012, 10:30 AM

Morning mamas!

Gaye - That ride sounds intense.  DH and I met in Keystone long long ago and I can picture your route pretty well this time.  All I can say is Damn woman you're a serious athlete!  Not that we didn't already know that, just continually impressed!

Real - Ahh, that sounds like a nice space, can you just stay there and send the rest along to ILs?

Bec -  I love your enthusiasm for your craft. orngbiggrin.gif

So we took the kids to the dr and they're running the pertussis test now but they did put both of them on abx just in case.  I must say, C's cough was already better last night, she only had a fit when she first lay down and then in the morning when she sat back up.  Ali was still coughing a lot but no crying jags to go with them.  Our guests are hoping that their fully-vaxed status keeps them safe.  I certainly do too, I'll feel terrible if we send them home infected.  Gar.  Oy vey.

#142 of 166 Old 07-24-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post

sparkle~Yesterday's ride had 4 category 2 climbs, and today had 2 more. I feel your pain, literally. orngbiggrin.gif

bow.gif

In my defense, I dont have a granny gear. Now, why this is so, I dont know. I only learned of this after the first time doing that ride last summer, when I returned and described to Dh how hellish it was, and he said "doh..." So this year, I asked if he could add that gear to my bike, but alas, I didnt ask in time to get the parts, so here we go again. I see a lot of pushing a bike uphill on foot in my future

NRR: Leaving Th. morning, so I wont be here for 2 weeks.... just so you know, Im not ignoring you all kissy.gif

#143 of 166 Old 07-24-2012, 07:52 PM

sparkle~Sometimes I wish I didn't have a granny gear...I know I would be a lot faster if I was forced to be, but at the same time, when I'm on one of those climbs and keep trying to shift just in case I magically gained a few more gears, I can't imagine NOT having it! My next bike will probably be a double instead of a triple, which absolutely terrifies me! orngbiggrin.gif Have an amazing trip!

plady~Hope the abx take care of everything and no disease is spread!

I woke up this morning feeling totally hungover. My whole body hurt, my lips were swollen...blah. I took a three hour nap, and not just because I'm on call tonight! Of course, I woke up from the nap with a 6 year old jumping on me (and screamed bloody murder when he jumped on my quads!), so, you know, that felt good. rolleyes.gif And then when I tried to get out of bed, my back started spasming. Yeesh. After a prescription-strength dose of advil, I feel better, but still exhausted and desperately hoping not to get called in tonight. They're busy, but there should be enough nurses on and one person ahead of me to get called in. And as much as I really should run tomorrow (assuming I don't get called in), I think maybe a swim might be in order instead to give my legs another day off. I was actually thinking earlier about maybe going to spin class at the Y, and then I realized that it would involve a bike, and I quickly changed my mind. orngbiggrin.gif

#144 of 166 Old 07-25-2012, 08:27 AM
bec

Gaye - You continue to amaze and inspire me!  And, I have totally been there wishing for the magical extra gears to make a hill easier.  Oh, and that's in the midwest.  Yikes!

Plady - I hope the Abx do the trick!  And that no one else gets sick.  I always have great guilt when I have visitors and my kids are sick!  Of course, my side of the family makes sure that every sniff and sneeze is my fault, so that may have something to do with it!

I am thinking of just doing some simple body weight strength work today.  With how sore my arms and abs are from Monday night, it is clear that some work needs to be done!  I'm hoping to involve the kids, too!

#145 of 166 Old 07-25-2012, 09:13 PM

Gaye, you are awesome. Thanks for sharing your posts and accomplishments!

Plady, I hope everyone is healthier soon!

Happy travels, sparkle!!

I've been half-posting and trying to post for several days now, but not quite managing it for various internet/phone posting/other lame excuses.

I was really happy to see my sisters, cousins and grandma at her 99th birthday. There was family stuff that could merit a yahoo post, but overall we all survived. I got a run on Friday with my (very hung-over) husband, but it was cut short by an insane windstorm that left me with bloodshot eyes from all of the dirt blowing around. We did 30 minutes, and I had a bunch of swimming in the pool and a lake swim during the trip, too.

Today was the last day of clinical teaching, and I'm on to supervising preceptorships until the end of August joy.gifWe got home late Sunday night and I did three ten hour shifts since then, so I'm ready for a little break. This afternoon was a great swim in the ocean after work, and tomorrow I've booked the 6 am slot for a run.

Airheaded moment of the month: the ascent trail run at the local ski mountain is this weekend (part of the series that I did the trail run for in May), and I thought it was Sunday like all the other runs in that series. So I booked a day shift on maternity on Saturday. When I went to sign up last week I realized I couldn't do it :(

#146 of 166 Old 07-26-2012, 05:40 AM

Gaye ~ the Courage Classic is an amazing accomplishment!  Congratulations on a job well done!

MelW ~ whoops, sorry you missed the race

sparkle ~ have a great trip!

Plady ~ hope the abx do the trick and everyone is feeling better soon

RR ~ finally completed Week 4 of C25K.  On to week 5.  Taking 10 days "off" didn't help.

NRR ~ swim team is DONE!  The team won the championship meet on Saturday and both DS and DD swam PRs in breaststroke!  It was a great season and all three kids are psyched to swim again next year.  DH, who complained and kvetched before the season started about 4 hour meets, etc. LOVED the whole experience and also can't wait for next summer eyesroll.gif.  Overall, it was amazingly positive experience for the family.  We are leaving on Sunday morning for the Smoky Mountains and a much needed vacation.  Phew....

I took all three kids to get new running shoes for school yesterday.  DS has grown massively this summer.  He's now sporting a pair of Men's size 8 Nike Frees.  That boy has some enormous feet.  And let me just say that shoes get REALLY expensive when you move up from childrens to adult sizes.  I also measured him yesterday and he's 4'11".  Only 2 more inches and he'll pass his dear, sweet Mama! 

I also went to the eye doctor this week and am officially in need of bifocals.  Hello, old lady.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#147 of 166 Old 07-26-2012, 12:25 PM
bec

Katie is now in Women's size 7, and yes!  Shoes get much more expensive!!!!

#148 of 166 Old 07-26-2012, 10:14 PM

JayGee, way to go with the C25K! I'm impressed that you kept with it despite the 10 days off.

I wear a women's 5 1/2 or 6. I can often benefit from cheap kids shoes. My six year old daughter is only one size smaller than me in shoes. Her prediction is that she'll be taller than me by grade four. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised!

RR- 45 minute trail run this morning, bike ride into town, short hike and river swim this afternoon and yard work this afternoon. Not bad for the first day "off work" and at home in almost two weeks.

NRR- My August schedule isn't looking as relaxed as I had hoped for. I'm "off work" but working on a grid and schedules this evening, and the first half of the month looks pretty busy. I also did yet another job application this morning; this one for a permanent (!) part-time community health nurse for a nearby first nations community. It would be nice to have some job stability and I miss a lot of the community health work. Plus part time might just let me pick up some teaching work, and would definitely leave room for hospital shifts too.

#149 of 166 Old 07-27-2012, 08:49 AM

Morning mamas,

Well, test came back positive for Alison and neg for C but dr thinks she just was on the downside by the time they tested her.  He sounded pretty annoyed that she'd been in during the midst of the upswing and was sent home with an inhaler.  Anyway, we're all on abx now and hopefully the guests won't bring it home with them.  Now we're packing up for our trip to Yellowstone and it will be the first road trip we've taken in our itty bitty car.  It's actually kind of fun to see how well we can pack to fit what we need into it, in the past we've always had a ton more cargo space and so brought more than we needed anytime we traveled.  This is like a cross between backpacking and car camping.  My computer is also going on vacation, hopefully when I come back it will have enough oomph to handle more than one keystroke every 15 seconds. 

JRR: I just got a job offer!  I will get the details when I come back but it's a part time position at the theatre doing the backstage stuff.  I think it could be perfect for me and unless something is seriously whacked about it I'll definitely take it.

Sorry for the absence of personals but I'll check back in when we get back.  Hope everyone has a healthy, happy and not-too-hot couple of weeks! blowkiss.gif

FRR: MelW there is a ferry from Sidney to FH at 5:55p that gets in at 7:45 and one that goes back in the morning at 9:45.  It's not as long and Sparkle and I would like to keep you if you only do one overnight but maybe it would fit into your schedule?  And of course you could stay for two nights!

#150 of 166 Old 07-27-2012, 01:01 PM

plady~Hooray for diagnoses!

melw~I hope you find some relaxation in your August!

jaygee~Congratulations to your dinglets on their swimming accomplishments! Enjoy your vacation!

I'm still completely exhausted, four days later...more proof that I'm not as young as I like to think I am. rolleyes.gif I didn't get called in to work the other night. Nor did I get a workout in. Instead, I napped excessively. I did work Wednesday night and it was questionable whether I was going to make it through the night without falling asleep, but I did. Barely. Then I had to take DS out for breakfast before I could go to bed yesterday, since he was leaving to go to XH for the next three weeks. By the time I got to bed, I was completely done. I tried to read a book in bed last night, but couldn't keep my eyes open...and ended up sleeping 12 hours! Now I'm running out of time to get a nap in before work tonight, but I'm kind of wondering if I even need one since I've been up for all of 3 hours. rolleyes.gif I also have a plumber coming sometime in the next couple of hours to look at my leaky garbage disposal, fun. I was trying to hold out for a visit from home (stepdad is a commercial plumber), but decided it couldn't really wait any longer, if I don't want my kitchen to end up in my downstair's neighbors'. Sigh. And I'm also working on a jello salad for our "white trash" potluck at work tonight. Yes, "white trash". I don't know why. My guess is that it was the brainchild of a particular not-quite-normal charge nurse at 3 am one night. But, there will be cheese in a can and spam and such things. I figured that at least if I bring jello salad, it will be somewhat edible. orngtongue.gif

rr~Run? What is this "run" you speak of? orngbiggrin.gif I guess it's time to get back on the marathon training bandwagon. With an ugly 4.5 miles. My legs actually felt pretty good...it was the rest of me that was a mess!

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page