Oooh...aaahh...Dingoes Dodging Fireworks in July! - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 166 Old 07-27-2012, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Plady--have a good trip to Yellowstone!

tjsmama--hope you can have a restful weekend.

JayGee--congrats to your kids!

MelW--sorry the month is filling up so quick. I'm amazed at how busy our summer has been without me working. And beginning to be very skeered about fall!

RR: um, none. Had meant to before or after the Olympics but I am a wuss, unlike those athletes. Have fantasies of getting up and getting an early run in tomorrow before we drive to my parents' house to celebrate my dad's birthday. Hopefully that will actually happen. I already skipped out on Tuesday and Wednesday, so I guess it's going to be a four-day running week. It's the first time I've done that in a while!

NRR: So, we realized last night that the Olympics started tonight and that hmm, maybe it was time to finally figure out what kind of recording device we need with our HDTV. Our VCR won't record on it in its current state.

This was a topic we'd visited in January, at which point I'd found something that seemed like it would work, but DH, in typical DH fashion, waved it off with "why do we need to worry about that now?" kind of statements. (Answer: because otherwise you'll wait until the evening before the Olympics begin to realize that maybe you should have dealt with this months ago!!!) Anyhow, to make a long story short, they've stopped manufacturing anything that would allow people with network TV to actually record TV shows. The salesguy seemed perplexed that we didn't have cable or satellite, "because that's what everyone does these days."

We're both frustrated that there's basically nothing out there for people like us who only watch TV a couple of times a year, don't have cable/satellite and don't want to pay a monthly fee for something like TIVo when we're not using it all the time. (And I'm frustrated that the perfectly good option that we could have purchased in January was poo-poohed by DH, though that's water under the bridge now.)

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 166 Old 07-28-2012, 06:34 AM
bec

So, I had plans for a lovely 7am run this morning.  Turns out, I set my alarm clock wrong (PM, not AM), and the result is that I woke up at 8.  I'm guessing that I really needed that extra 2 hours, though, so am trying to be philosophical about it.  Working evenings really, really messes with my sleep schedule!  I'm seeing, more and more, that whatever job/career I go for really needs to be during 1st shift working hours!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#153 of 166 Old 07-28-2012, 04:08 PM

Today's run was so nice. I finally convinced dh to drive somewhere new to run. He was resistant because I wanted to drive over to his office to do one of the routes the XC team does. We ran from the Children's Beach in La Jolla past the cove to Scripps Pier. The time went so quickly. We had sidewalk along the shore, trails, streets, packed sand, big hills, a little bit of everything and plenty of other people to watch. To top it off when we got home the older two were still asleep but the others had made eggs and cleaned up the kitchen and gotten themselves dressed and ready! Next time I'll take pictures of the coast and the kids.

Gaye, I haven't mentioned how impressed I am with the courage classic and your century ride. It is quite the accomplishment. bow.gif

bec, I need my sleep anymore and having been going to bed so early I am contemplating naps if I can figure out how/when s that I can stay up late enough with the big kids. I cannot imagine how the shift work messes with things for you and Gaye and drjen and anyone else not getting to sleep at night for whatever reason.

Plady enjoy your trip! And your dingo meetup! I hope the girls are feeling and sleeping better with the abx.

real, we are having similar issues here. DH got me an antennae for my birthday (last October) that I never figured out and he was struggling with it last night. On the other hand I laughed out loud when my 9 yo asked about turning on the tv. "Will the Olympics still be on? I know how to turn the tv on and I think if I don't turn on a movie it will work but I don't know how to change the channel on the tv like you were doing last night." (We didn't know which channel NBC is here so we had to scan through)

I am a tiny bit jealous of all you petite ladies. I think to make myself feel better I will wander into the kitchen and casually take a wine glass from the top shelf . wink1.gif And then I'll convince dd1 and ds1 to wear last years school shoes to start this year. Ds1 just got new trainers and still needs racing flats for races/speed work...

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#154 of 166 Old 07-28-2012, 05:01 PM

Gaye that ride does sound intense!

Plady - glad to hear you got a dx.  I had pertussis the Christmas before ds was born.  Cracked three ribs coughing.  Not pleasant at all.  Hugs to you and your kiddos!

Real can you watch some of it online?  I noticed that some of the events were online. I'm not sure the extent though.

mommajb - I'm coming in late and haven't read anything, but if I can read between the lines accurately, my response is being short can have it's perks...but honestly I can't imagine what I'm going to do at 60 when I have to climb on the counter to get to the shelf where dh put the cereal.  I always wanted to be tall.  Sigh.  It skipped me and went to my daughter.  She's nine and only about 5 inches shorter than me.  And half a size smaller shoe than me.

Dd and I had a race this morning.  She amazes me.  7:41, 8:00, 8:12.  I have now decided mandatory speed work outs for me on Wednesdays.  Twice while running she complained of seeing spots so I guided her to ease up a bit.  Which she did followed by a pretty quick pick back up of the pace.  My fear is her talent surpasses her judgment.  Thus, I need to get my butt in gear so I can keep up with her a little longer while her judgment grows.  She has two speeds...fast and faster.  I saw a girls shirt today that I loved...  I can't remember the first line, but the 2nd said "to run with me you gotta be good, to beat me you gotta be kidding."

#155 of 166 Old 07-29-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

I am a tiny bit jealous of all you petite ladies. I think to make myself feel better I will wander into the kitchen and casually take a wine glass from the top shelf . wink1.gif

My husband keeps threatening to get rid of my stool because the kids use it to reach the high shelves. Unfortunately much of the kitchen is inaccessible to me without it lol.gif I cannot get wine without climbing on the counter.

bec, I hope your sleep-in helped. Sometimes your body knows what you need!

real & mommajb, good luck with your Olympic tv. The cable company called last week to offer a short-term deal in case we were tempted by the olympics.

RR- A beautiful 45 minutes in the trail this morning. My hip has been achy for a bit over a week now, and it's two more weeks before the chiro gets back from vacation. I'm sticking with shorter trail runs and lots of stretching and yoga until I can get an adjustment.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#156 of 166 Old 07-29-2012, 12:21 PM

not anything....everything

#157 of 166 Old 07-29-2012, 07:12 PM

I finally mapped out my marathon training plan. Sheesh. Nothing like waiting till four weeks in. rolleyes.gif Not to mention the fact that it is going to be extremely fluid. I'm theoretically using Higdon's intermediate 1 plan, but in reality, I will just be trying to get in the long run and the midweek long run from it, with hopefully two shorter runs. And thanks to my work schedule, there's going to be a couple of weeks where I actually do two long runs during the same week. Oh well.

Work was pretty uneventful this week. Believe it or not, both of the last two nights, I had three patients who had delivered naturally, and without IV access. Ok, a couple of them were not completely intentionally (they just went that fast), but still...pretty unheard of. We've been slammed, keeping postpartum patients in labor rooms, midwife patients delivering downstairs in high risk l&d because we didn't have room for them upstairs. Job security, right?

XH is still arguing about helping pay for non-work-related childcare. Sigh. It really irks me, mostly because he just stopped paying spousal support and is already getting back $2k a month, and now he's trying to nit pick me on something he said he would help me pay for when he wanted to move out of state. Grrr. I will prevail. Although probably not with 100% of what I want.

Tomorrow: long run. I am scared.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#158 of 166 Old 07-30-2012, 09:28 AM
bec

Almost 10 hours on my feet doing markdowns at the store.  Worked from 6pm till just about 4am.  I think it has to count for something!  Goodness knows I'm sore enough from it!  And I get to go back for another 5 hours tonight!

Gaye - I just read an article saying that the 20-22 mile long run for marathon training does more harm than good.  It suggested that 17-18 mile long runs are perfectly good to develop the cardio fitness, and to add quality runs right before and after those long runs in order to train your body to function well while fatigued.  It was interesting.

angry.gif

I got really short with my husband because after working all freaking night long, and getting 6 hours of sleep (cause, hello, kids), I had to deal with a sink full of dishes so I could clean my coffee pot and have some caffeine.  Grrrrrrr.  He had yesterday off.  He went on a nice bike ride, then went and volunteered at the county fair for fun, and then puttered around the house.  Must be nice.

#159 of 166 Old 07-30-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Dingoes! I have been faithfully reading along, but not a lot of brain energy to contribute anything helpful most of the time. Plady, was glad to hear you got a dx that will clear up the cough, and that the guests were vaxed. Hoping it ends there. And joy.gifon the job offer! Sounds awesome, mama. Gaye, like the rest, I am in awe of how you can dig in and find the power, but clearly you have it. Way to go, and I have no doubt you'll be similarly amazing as you train and race this next mary. Bec, did I whoop for you on the IM? If not, WOOOOT! Again, I don't recall a great amount of time for training, but you did it! And I hear you on the dh thing. Enjoy your coffee.

On being short, mommajb, I bought a dress for this party we're planning and now I have to have three layers of silk hemmed, cutting off about 8 inches. I can never get pants on clearance because short is just not stocked well, and I trip on maxi dresses sometimes. <shrug> Also, when I gain 5 pounds I have nowhere to hide it. orngtongue.gif

RR: absolutely zero. We get up at 3AM and cook eggs every day, then I go back to bed and try to sleep until 11 or so. Get up, do chores, run errands, study with the kids, regular life stuff as much as possible, and we usually start pooping out around 3 or 4 with no water or fuel. So we hit the couch or whatever, and then we start cooking iftar around 6:30. Break our fast around 8:30, so needless to say we're usually up until 12 or 1 before hitting the sack for the first two hours of sleep before waking to cook. I know it's not the way fasting was originally intended to be for the whole month, but I don't think they ever fast more than 14 hours on the Arabian Peninsula. So we're doing OK and we're one-third in.

Dh has found an apartment and plans to sign papers this week. I think we are downsizing and economizing a bit, but should be just fine, since we'll be there for mostly the very temperate season. But it looks like he found a place with a nice health and fitness center and pool, so we should be able to keep up with daily workouts. I am a little concerned about getting into the city center from the location (short distance but looks like it will always require a cab for safety, no biking), but we'll see. Dh has been stumped with ring shopping and I am apparently not helpful. 

Love to you ladies! I hope to walk some tonight if I can just get the kids to let me step out the door after we break fast. Wish me luck.

#160 of 166 Old 07-30-2012, 12:32 PM

jo, good luck with the walk tonight. It sounds like an intense fasting schedule, one that I hope provides time for reflection and peace (and a bit of wedding preparation, too!). Congrats on the new apartment.

bec, grrr about the dirty coffee pot.

gaye, I'm glad you got the marathon training schedule figured out. And I have my fingers crossed for you on the childcare support. You deserve it!

RR- Biked towing the trailer for the first time in months today. It was nice to ride at a faster than three-year-old speed and not to worry about traffic. Just a short ride across town a couple of times.

NRR- I picked blueberries with the kids yesterday- about 2 lbs wild berries (super sweet but seedy and tough-skinned) and 10 lbs at an organic berry farm. Freezing and jamming on the agenda for this evening, since yesterday I discovered I was out of canning lids and of freezer bags. My youngest also rolled around in the grass and hay and we spent the afternoon giving her antihistamines and watching a movie. I also emerged from the blueberries fields with an impressive swollen bite on my leg- probably spider but I didn't see the culprit.

I found out today that I didn't get the hospital unit clerk teaching job, not unsurprisingly. After I do some student visits this afternoon I'm meeting with a co-worker of my MIL's who used to hold the public health job that I applied for last week. I would really love to have just a little bit of "regular" work, since the hospital casual work can be so unpredictable. I'm almost certain that I will get enough shifts to survive, but the lifestyle of being on call and needing to take any/every shift offered and drop other plans is not something I'm looking forward to. And fingers crossed that there will be some teaching work again in January. Long-term I'm looking at next fall for a permanent job at the college, but it feels far away right now...

#161 of 166 Old 07-31-2012, 07:41 PM

It's quiet in dingoland....

I had a nice 45 minute trail run this morning. My hip feels good, but my spider(?) bite on my leg seemed to hurt more after the run. Despite icing it got worse through the day and my doctor couldn't fit me in this afternoon. After picking up my daughter from preschool we headed to the walk-in clinic this afternoon. By the time I was seen the swelling had extended from below my knee almost down to my ankle. I'm on antibiotics for five days, the first time I've taken antibiotics in 11 years. Lots of hot compressing and hoping that the infection recedes quickly now.

#162 of 166 Old 08-01-2012, 09:16 AM
bec

Mel - That sounds like a scary bite!  I hope it clears up quickly with the antibiotics.

I have done nothing in the past few days other than sleep and watch olympics.  Does driving my daughter the 3 blocks to cross country practice count?  She used my Garmin.  lol.gif  I am thinking of a run soon, though.  Or a bike.  Or some strength.  Planning on taking the kids to the pool later, so maybe I can get some laps in.  We'll see!

#163 of 166 Old 08-01-2012, 09:19 AM

Hi mamas.

I'm sick with some kind of stomach thing. I think I ate something bad yesterday. Missed my run today and feel like a truck ran over my middle. Ugh. greensad.gif

Feeling very low lately, emotionally speaking. Overwhelmed with kids' needs (and nothing structured for them to do) and boredom; with preparing for the school year and all these other family events, and no support. Bleh. 

Ok, enough whining.

Can't wait to see the olympic marathon this weekend...

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#164 of 166 Old 08-01-2012, 03:44 PM

melw~Yikes! Hope your bite is better today, that sounds nasty!

nic~Hope you're feeling better today, too!

I have done a whole lot of sleeping and not much else the past couple of days. I guess since I don't have a kiddo to wake me up, I'm taking advantage and making up for all the lost sleep when he's around? Whatever, I slept instead of going for a run yesterday. Which was probably not the worst idea, considering I was pretty sore from Monday's long run. I'm just having serious motivation problems in general, my house is a mess, I have a ton of laundry to do, I still haven't really unpacked from the Courage Classic, and I need to scrub out the mess from the water leak underneath the kitchen sink so I can put all the stuff I keep under there back. And I work 5 out of the next six nights, and then immediately get on a plane for a week, so, you know, I should really get on that. rolleyes.gif

rr~I did get my 10 miles in on Monday. It was ugly, but I did it. I felt pretty good for the first 5 or so, then ok for the next 2 or 3, and the last 2 were just a matter of survival. Run a little, walk a lot, run a little, walk a lot. But, done. Planning on 8 tomorrow, and 12 on Sunday (my one day off before my trip). Blech.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#165 of 166 Old 08-01-2012, 09:37 PM

Tjsmama, way to tough out your long run. I hope you get caught up on sleep and maybe find your motivation hiding under the kitchen sink?!

Nic, big hugs. You have a lot on your plate for the fall. Hope your stomach feels better.

Bec, I love that your garmin went running without you. Did you get to swim?

RR- A short bike ride to the park and a couple of chin ups.

NRR- I finally (after several increasingly demanding phone calls) got the contractor to put in the sub-floor for our bathroom repair late this afternoon.

The bite isn't really getting better. I'm trying not to freak out about it being MRSA, but I spend too much time at the hospital. Fingers crossed for some improvement by tomorrow or I'll head back to the doctor.

#166 of 166 Old 08-02-2012, 06:52 AM

August thread here!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids

Tags
Fitness

User Tag List