The 8 week healthy weight loss challenge 4.0 (started 7/30, enrolling through 8/4) - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 437 Old 09-10-2012, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, red team here weighing in at 161.6 today.  I'm hoping for the 150's by the end of the challenge.

Shanese mom of 2ds
#362 of 437 Old 09-11-2012, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Forgot yesterday 243.8 pounds ! Yeah!

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#363 of 437 Old 09-11-2012, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Been so crazy busy I didn't weigh yesterday or today. So I'll have to just give Sunday's weight of 293.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#364 of 437 Old 09-11-2012, 10:57 AM

Up to 221.8lbs. AF is here and I did a grueling couple workouts (kettle bell!) and am crazy sore. The scale hates me. Starting the Primal 21-day Challenge today for the remainder of this challenge. Hope it helps!!!

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#365 of 437 Old 09-11-2012, 11:06 AM

Dmitrizmom-- Congrats on the 10k omg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodymove View Post

Getting a little discouraged here.splat.gif I checked my weight on Thursday morning just to see where I was and I was 135. That was good but by this morning I'm back at 136.4 again! That's 3 weeks in a row.irked.gif Guess I'm gonna have to change something up. I've been walking and jogging 4 hours a week. Any suggestions as to what I might add that won't be too time demanding. We are starting back to homeschooling this week so there won't be too much extra time available.  Thanks.

I hear ya on being discouraged. If you look at the chart, you'll see I stay pretty much the same from week to week. And I have a LOT to lose but also have thyroid issues. I've been told however two things: Intermittent Fasting and/or Sprints can help. Try it! Mark's Daily Apple is a great source for info on those two things.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/wow-sprint-walk-sprint-repeat/#axzz26BZg0Aw0

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-fast-part-six-choosing-a-method/#axzz26BZsh0Tx

#366 of 437 Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 PM

#367 of 437 Old 09-12-2012, 03:33 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12**16***20***24*** 28***32***36***40
#368 of 437 Old 09-12-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Hey there ladies!  Only 2 weeks left... This challenge is going fast..  I am so proud and inspired by y'all.  Eating better and exercising - doing this the right way to get healthy.  Keep on working toward those goals - it is so worth it to see the changes!  love.gif

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#369 of 437 Old 09-12-2012, 08:56 PM

I'm sorry I'm late...again! I was 262lbs on Monday:)

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#370 of 437 Old 09-13-2012, 05:01 AM

147.0 today. i'm back with my low sodium turkey that i get fresh from the deli. over the weekend was my son's b'day party with hot dogs (i ate 1, that was enough) and lots of cake and ice cream. it was a miracle i didn't gain more. i do think that the hot dog is really bad. i always retain water from that...

#371 of 437 Old 09-14-2012, 05:37 PM

It is amazing what salt does for water retention.  My little brother who is 21 years old moved in with DH and me so I have been cooking a bit more to feed him too.  Have to keep the focus on exercise and good eating without too much salt.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#372 of 437 Old 09-14-2012, 05:52 PM

Eeeek. Only 2 weeks left? I didn't even lose 5 pounds. Boo hoo. I think it's time to go back to Weight Watchers. Or tracking somewhere. Or... I could just get pregnant. Then I won't worry so much about my weight will I? ROTFLMAO.gif

This has been fun tho... maybe I'll join a 5.0? If there is one... I'd be glad to handle the chart next time around. Congrats ladies and thanks for keeping me accountable for the last 6 weeks! Woo woo!

#373 of 437 Old 09-14-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

If y'all decide to do a 5.0, I will be sitting out... but I will join for a 6.0.... I'm only 0.8 lbs from my WW goal. :)  I have to maintain for 6 weeks... then I have an additional 16 - 18 lbs that I'd like to kiss goodbye to.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

#374 of 437 Old 09-14-2012, 08:38 PM

This has been really great incentive and motivation for me! Just what I've needed. I'm totally in for 5.0, if someone else is willing to be in charge. I am barely handling everything I have on my plate already. lol

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#375 of 437 Old 09-15-2012, 03:24 AM

Tillymonster - you are welcome to take over the chart next time - I have been doing it since version 2.0 and I could use a break from charting. :)

I need your motivational advice, ladies!!  I have been gaining and loosing the same 5 to 7 pounds for the last several months, and sitting at the same weight for the last 3 weeks.  It is driving me crazy!  I still have about 50 pounds to loose to get to my healthy weight and I am dealing with some serious burnout on this whole situation.  I REALLY want to be as close to my goal weight as possible by January because I will be having surgery and I want to reduce my anesthetic risk as much as possible by being in a healthy weight range.  So I don't want to just not worry about it for a while and come back at this later.  I have a husband who is VERY supportive, but works crazy hours (it has been 14+ hour shifts, rotating between days and nights this month, and will continue to change often - the military is consistantly inconsistant in their scheduling practices, and his division is undermaned).  I have a 3.5 year old doing homeschool-preschool, and a 20 month old, both home full time.  The budget has no room for extras like the gym or babysitters, so I wake up at 5:30 and work out in my garage (I have an treadmill and a stationary bike) and I try to get in a real road run for my long run days, as hubby's schedule allows.  I am eating a whole foods based diet, with good portion control.  I am still breastfeeding, and plan to continue until dd is 2.

Here is my current workout schedule: Mondays = bike 8 miles, Tuesday = run 3 miles, Wednesdays = bike 8 miles + free weights, Thursdays = run 3 miles, Friday = Off, Saturday = 4 miles, road run, Sunday = Free weights

I can't see fitting in more workouts at this stage of my life. I plan on homeschooling my kids through 8th grade so I will have kids in the equation for the next decade or so. How do you balence your health with your real life demands on your time?  How do you stay motivated when you are stuck?  How do you get you weight moving again?

I would love any insight you can provide!!!!

Married to the love of my life partners.gif (career navy), and Mama to 2 amazing little ladies - K~ (03/2009)blahblah.gif and M~ (01/2011)biggrinbounce.gif always to wish I had gotten to know our little ones lost angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif   Reconfiguring my career track and working hard to keep my sanity through it all . . .

homebirth.jpgbfinfant.gifsaynovax.gifcd.gif  homeschool.gif 

#376 of 437 Old 09-15-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootMama99 View Post

Tillymonster - you are welcome to take over the chart next time - I have been doing it since version 2.0 and I could use a break from charting. :)

I need your motivational advice, ladies!!  I have been gaining and loosing the same 5 to 7 pounds for the last several months, and sitting at the same weight for the last 3 weeks.  It is driving me crazy!  I still have about 50 pounds to loose to get to my healthy weight and I am dealing with some serious burnout on this whole situation.  I REALLY want to be as close to my goal weight as possible by January because I will be having surgery and I want to reduce my anesthetic risk as much as possible by being in a healthy weight range.  So I don't want to just not worry about it for a while and come back at this later.  I have a husband who is VERY supportive, but works crazy hours (it has been 14+ hour shifts, rotating between days and nights this month, and will continue to change often - the military is consistantly inconsistant in their scheduling practices, and his division is undermaned).  I have a 3.5 year old doing homeschool-preschool, and a 20 month old, both home full time.  The budget has no room for extras like the gym or babysitters, so I wake up at 5:30 and work out in my garage (I have an treadmill and a stationary bike) and I try to get in a real road run for my long run days, as hubby's schedule allows.  I am eating a whole foods based diet, with good portion control.  I am still breastfeeding, and plan to continue until dd is 2.

Here is my current workout schedule: Mondays = bike 8 miles, Tuesday = run 3 miles, Wednesdays = bike 8 miles + free weights, Thursdays = run 3 miles, Friday = Off, Saturday = 4 miles, road run, Sunday = Free weights

I can't see fitting in more workouts at this stage of my life. I plan on homeschooling my kids through 8th grade so I will have kids in the equation for the next decade or so. How do you balence your health with your real life demands on your time?  How do you stay motivated when you are stuck?  How do you get you weight moving again?

I would love any insight you can provide!!!!

Oh mama! You have so much on your plate right now.  hug2.gif  my suggestion is multifaceted...

1. alternate days of cardio with days of weight training. You don't need huge weights either: high reps of lower weights can be very effective when done with high intensity.

2. if you aren't already, incorporate body weight exercises: push ups, tricep dips, bear walk, crab walk, duck walk, chin ups, plank.  They don't take long and you can involve your kids by making it a contest.  You can also do these at the park on picnic tables and playground equipment.

3. walk backward on your treadmill instead of forward - it creates muscle confusion and helps with increasing the calorie burn.

4. give yourself permission to have one day each week where you can have a true splurge - something that you wouldn't normally have.  I've found that when I get stuck with the loss, that sometimes a splurge kicks things back into gear - its like my body is freaking out over the tight control and needs to know that there is food available.

5. never hesitate to come here for support!  We get that this is hard. Sometimes the bounce sucks.  But we will listen and sometimes, that is enough.

Balance between fitness and all the other demands on my time is not simple... just remember that fitness is part of your real life. I schedule my exercise in (sounds like you do too!) otherwise it doesn't happen.  My motivation has changed over the last 8 months... I've gone through wanting to be able to run a specific distance, to be able to do chin ups, to do a triathlon, to looking better in a swimsuit than my sister (who's voice, BTW, is the nasty voice at the back of my head telling me that I'm a failure) who has never had weight issues, to having a freaking awesome back (see pictures below!), to being able to shop in any store I wanted to, to being able to chase my kids on the playground equipment and not get stuck in the tubes, to improving my odds at getting a job I want, and last but definitely not least... my workouts are my anger management and therapy tool.  i am a much happier person (wife, mother, teacher, friend, human) when I get my daily exercise in.  I can take my frustrations out on the bike, the treadmill, the battle ropes, the kettlebell, and just blow it all away.  I see my exercise as a means to make life better for not just me but also the people around me that matter most. (and believe me, I've got my own crazy list of challenges right now)

This was taken in early May...

This was taken about a week ago.

I started this journey in January, with a simple premise... be nice to myself.  I'm down about 70 lbs since then. I still have bad days, but they are tempered by the knowledge that I've made it this far. Sometimes it pays to look back and see how far you've come and remember that if you've made it this far, you can do the rest of it too. 

Sorry for the novel.  But I hope it helps you.  Blessings on you mama as you make the journey to a healthier, happier you.

#377 of 437 Old 09-15-2012, 10:10 AM

I would love to keep on this challenging each other.  It has been good for me even with a little bit at a time that I lose.  Tilly, if you would be willing to handle the chart, I am cool with that.  Sounds like barefootmama is ready for a little break.

On the exercise front, barefootmama, your scheduling into your day is key.  Is there maybe another local mama or two that you could trade watching kids so the other one could have some time to do exercise or whatever with a free hour ? On the food front, you may want to mix up what you eat with a little bit more fat every now and then to make sure you body doesn't think you are just going into starvation mode.

I really like dmitrizmom's idea of "if you aren't already, incorporate body weight exercises: push ups, tricep dips, bear walk, crab walk, duck walk, chin ups, plank.  They don't take long and you can involve your kids by making it a contest.  You can also do these at the park on picnic tables and playground equipment."  I think I need to incorporate this into my plan as well.

#378 of 437 Old 09-15-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom View Post

Oh mama! You have so much on your plate right now.  hug2.gif  my suggestion is multifaceted...

1. alternate days of cardio with days of weight training. You don't need huge weights either: high reps of lower weights can be very effective when done with high intensity.

2. if you aren't already, incorporate body weight exercises: push ups, tricep dips, bear walk, crab walk, duck walk, chin ups, plank.  They don't take long and you can involve your kids by making it a contest.  You can also do these at the park on picnic tables and playground equipment.

3. walk backward on your treadmill instead of forward - it creates muscle confusion and helps with increasing the calorie burn.

4. give yourself permission to have one day each week where you can have a true splurge - something that you wouldn't normally have.  I've found that when I get stuck with the loss, that sometimes a splurge kicks things back into gear - its like my body is freaking out over the tight control and needs to know that there is food available.

5. never hesitate to come here for support!  We get that this is hard. Sometimes the bounce sucks.  But we will listen and sometimes, that is enough.

Balance between fitness and all the other demands on my time is not simple... just remember that fitness is part of your real life. I schedule my exercise in (sounds like you do too!) otherwise it doesn't happen.  My motivation has changed over the last 8 months... I've gone through wanting to be able to run a specific distance, to be able to do chin ups, to do a triathlon, to looking better in a swimsuit than my sister (who's voice, BTW, is the nasty voice at the back of my head telling me that I'm a failure) who has never had weight issues, to having a freaking awesome back (see pictures below!), to being able to shop in any store I wanted to, to being able to chase my kids on the playground equipment and not get stuck in the tubes, to improving my odds at getting a job I want, and last but definitely not least... my workouts are my anger management and therapy tool.  i am a much happier person (wife, mother, teacher, friend, human) when I get my daily exercise in.  I can take my frustrations out on the bike, the treadmill, the battle ropes, the kettlebell, and just blow it all away.  I see my exercise as a means to make life better for not just me but also the people around me that matter most. (and believe me, I've got my own crazy list of challenges right now)

This was taken in early May...

This was taken about a week ago.

I started this journey in January, with a simple premise... be nice to myself.  I'm down about 70 lbs since then. I still have bad days, but they are tempered by the knowledge that I've made it this far. Sometimes it pays to look back and see how far you've come and remember that if you've made it this far, you can do the rest of it too. 

Sorry for the novel.  But I hope it helps you.  Blessings on you mama as you make the journey to a healthier, happier you.

You look great mama!  Kudos on your progress!

I did my last running event for the summer...  a half marathon!  Kids/hubby and my mom were there and my 4 year old ran across the finish line with me!  joy.gif

That was great!  Now I'm excited about switching up my workouts a little!

Have a great week everyone!

#379 of 437 Old 09-16-2012, 04:12 AM

Dmitrizmom - Thanks for your advice and encouragement!!  I will work on encorporating some of the moves you suggested with the kids - they will think that is fun :) I am with you on scheduling workouts and prioritizing them.  That is the only way to make it happen, and I think that is one of the few things I am doing right these days.  I have been very consistent with accomplishing my workouts since april (the workouts themselves have changed over time).  I think increasing my strenght training by adding in some extra moves throughout the day would be helpful.

I did my 5K yesterday and it was really great to be around other runners.  I really want to improve my time next time around (I did it in 35 min and I would like to get to a 30 min of less 5K), so I have been looking at ways to improve speed and excersizes that help with improving running speed/efficiency.

I think a lot my my issue of late has been mental/attitude related.  I was really excited about what I was doing when I could see little bits of progress here and there, but now I am seeing no progress and it leaves me asking myself what is the point of working so hard  . . . Intellectually I do know that I am healthier for my hard work even if I am still fat, and I know that it is worthwhile and that I even ENJOY running.  But the emotional side of me is tired and needs to be recharged - I need a attitude/enthusiasm reboot.  Maybe that sounds odd, but that is where I am at the moment.

BTW - your back looks AMAZING!!!!!!!

Married to the love of my life partners.gif (career navy), and Mama to 2 amazing little ladies - K~ (03/2009)blahblah.gif and M~ (01/2011)biggrinbounce.gif always to wish I had gotten to know our little ones lost angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif   Reconfiguring my career track and working hard to keep my sanity through it all . . .

homebirth.jpgbfinfant.gifsaynovax.gifcd.gif  homeschool.gif 

#380 of 437 Old 09-16-2012, 04:46 AM

I am definitely interested if there is a 5.0.  I haven't been very active posting, but just knowing I need to check in each week has kept me squeezing in the exercise into my busy schedule and keeping me in check when I want to stress eat.  I've been bouncing around at my first goal weight, getting down and then gaining two pounds, so I would really like to maintain and start heading to my second goal. 

Barefootmama: Congrats on the 5K!  You are doing great!

tnh2007: Congrats on the half marathon!!

Dmitrizmom: wow!

Mommy to Nora 2/19/08 and Valerie 10/19/09

#381 of 437 Old 09-17-2012, 04:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

have upped my number of sport sessions now that school has started ... but am upset not to progress much ....

#382 of 437 Old 09-17-2012, 05:09 AM

131.0 today. I really hope to have this last pound off completely by next week.

Mommy to Nora 2/19/08 and Valerie 10/19/09

#383 of 437 Old 09-17-2012, 05:50 AM

136.4 again!  Not losing but not gaining either, glad for that. Definitely thought I would have gained this week so I'm actually pretty happy to see the same numbers again.thumb.gif

#384 of 437 Old 09-17-2012, 06:34 AM

I am in Las Vegas for a conference so I will have to figure out the best places to eat here. 243.4 pounds this week. I want to keep up my weight loss here.

#385 of 437 Old 09-17-2012, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#386 of 437 Old 09-17-2012, 08:21 AM

158.6 today. I'm very excited to see the 150's again.

Shanese mom of 2ds
#387 of 437 Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 AM

I think I'm ready to start really exercising again.  My abs are still a wreck from pregnancy, so I'll just be doing light work on them, but I'm ready to start running.  DH is also suddenly onboard with calorie counting and Couch to 5k, so I think we'll be working together and keeping each other motivated.  Yay!

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#388 of 437 Old 09-17-2012, 10:32 AM

#389 of 437 Old 09-17-2012, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was lucky and got to weigh in this morning. 210.6  About five minutes later, my ds got into the closet, pulled out the scale and threw it. It's not working properly now. greensad.gif  Hopefully I will get a replacement scale this week. 

I'm up for 5.0! 

Exercise plan for this week-

Mon- walking

Tues- hockey, walking

Wed- 1 1/2 hours of hockey class/power skating

Thurs- walking

Fri- hockey league play

Sat- Family day/day off

Sun- 1 hour hockey class

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
#390 of 437 Old 09-17-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Tags
Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page