Extended Breastfeeding = More Weight loss?? (xposted in "Breastfeeding") - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-20-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was reading somewhere that women who didn't lose pregnancy weight initially with breastfeeding lost it effortlessly when they nursed their babies into the second year.  In your experience, is this true?  I lost most of my prego weight within the first 5 months of nursing DD (just by breastfeeding, no other changes) but the scale hasn't really budged the last 2 months.  I'm only about 5 lbs over pre-prego weight, but was hoping to be back to The Number by 9 mos pp.  I'm not sure if will happen now, but maybe the longer I nurse her the more I'll lose??? I hope it works like that... Did it for any of you?

#2 of 4 Old 07-21-2012, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Nope, not for me.  I have had 4 babies and my most recent babe has left me with 15 baby pounds.  He is now 6 months and for me to lose the weight I am going to have to count calories and get running again.  

I know lots of women who lose weight while nursing, some who have difficulty keeping weight on, but I am a stubborn loser.  I like to think it is my evolutionary advantage.  I certainly would be more likely to survive a famine.  

What I can say about losing while extended nursing is that I don't have to diet very hard to lose.  I drop my calories slightly below 2,000 and I will lose 1-2 pounds a week.  Add in a couple of runs and I lose 3+ pounds a week.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#3 of 4 Old 07-24-2012, 07:34 PM

I lost most of my baby weight between 6 and 9 months and then didn't really notice much of a drop after that. It could be because my son started eating solids around then---although he continues to nurse quite frequently even now (he's 2.) A friend of mine continued to lose weight the longer she nursed her daughter and ultimately had to stop at 14 months because she was getting dangerously thin, so I think it is possible to keep losing the longer you nurse. Hopefully you'll reach a healthy weight that you're happy with!

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#4 of 4 Old 08-01-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, ladies! :-)

Tags
Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page