13 year old wants to start lifting weights - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-28-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

x-posted in teens.

So ds1 is now 13 years old.  He runs track and is going to try out for cross country this year.  So he's got down the aerobic stuff.  He has decided he wants to do some strength training with weights.  We can not affort to send him to a trainer or a gym.  I only have 2 and 5 lb weights. 

So I have no idea where to start.  I know we can probably get some more dumbbells on craigs list or free cycle, but I don't even know what he needs or what he should and shouldn't be doing. 

Any suggestions? 

#2 of 7 Old 07-28-2012, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

This guy (affiliated with Flylady) had a pretty simple basic system that can get someone started. He has different levels of membership but one can be a free member and here are some sample workouts.

http://www.noexcusesworkouts.com/sample-workouts/

I used his system to get started and still use his basic workout, just gradually increasing the weights as I went along.

#3 of 7 Old 07-28-2012, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I was in school, they had a weight lifting club all year long. Maybe his school has something like that? Also maybe talk to his coaches for resources. I threw shot and discus and I know our runners were required to visit the weight room with us.
#4 of 7 Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 AM

I've been an athlete since I was his age, and weight lifting has been a part of my life since then :)

At his age, and on a budget, I would recommend you google "plyometrics" and read up on them - or better yet, have him research on his own. Plyo is amazing for increasing muscle as well as speed and overall performance, and exercises tend to use body weight or simple to make apparatuses (i.e. - a box to jump on). 

Hope he has fun!

~Mom to Sy (3), #2 Due Jan 2014, GF to Pork, Psych grad student, Judoka~

stillheart.gif  ribboncesarean.gif  stillheart.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  stillheart.gif  winner.jpg stillheart.gif femalesling.GIF stillheart.gif  vbac.gif stillheart.gif  bellycast.gif  stillheart.gif

#5 of 7 Old 08-27-2012, 09:22 AM

Our school gym weight room was available to all athletes.  Check that first! 

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#6 of 7 Old 12-07-2012, 11:51 AM

My school also offered after school weight lifting programs and even offered it as a class for a few years. Another option would be to get into body weight workouts. If you introduced him to some Cross-fit type workouts and show him videos, he may be intrigued by this.

#7 of 7 Old 03-18-2013, 09:11 AM

I know itll be hard for him to do, but I would really caution him against heavy weight lifting at his age.

Most of my male friends kept growing well until their 20s. And lets be honest..being a tall man is an advantage in this society- and if its in your genes then he should embrace it. All of my male friends who lifted early (most of them were football players in High School who *had* to lift) never grew past 5'8 or so. Something to think about

I agree with Valerie to look in to plyo! Or even SWIMMING. The water polo team was amazingly in shape and swimming is rumored to help growth anyway :) 

hug2.gif    goodvibes.gifstillheart.gif  

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page