Faster, higher, stronger - Dingo athletes keep calm and carry on through August! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 191 Old 08-14-2012, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RR: 60 min. bike intervals 20 minute run/walk intervals. A teeny bit stronger than last week, at least for the first 20 minutes... then it just hurt lol.gif Actually the running felt pretty good.....

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#62 of 191 Old 08-14-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

Has anyone here ever tried/read The Mood Cure by Julia Ross? Im going to get it at the library today. I am not far from where you are Jo, and something's got to give but I dont think I'm ready for hormones or anti-depressants. I'm mega-dosing on fish-oil and making sure I get enough rest and trying to exercise, etcetera etcetera....
JG - ??? Hoping for the first "irregular" cycle of peri-menopause and not something less desired....

sparkle ~ I have read The Mood Cure and, while it seems very interesting, I am put off by the sheer number/expense/timing of supplements she requires.  And yeah, I'm really hoping it's a peri-menopause thing....

RM ~ good luck on your motorcycle class!

Plady ~ does swimming bother your hip?  Freestyle really hurts mine for some reason.

NRR ~ I've fallen so far off the healthy eating/exercising/involved parent/helpful spouse/supportive friend wagon it's not even funny.  I know that eating well and exercising, even just a little, will go so far into pulling me out of this funk, but I just keep heading back to the pantry for more chocolate and plopping myself down with the iPad.  My girls are playing online games and heaven only knows what DS is doing.  I am taking everyone to the pool this afternoon for one final swim day before school starts tomorrow.  Still no AF and my anxiety is through the roof.  I may break down and buy a test tomorrow once the kids are back in school.  Honestly, I feel like throwing up just THINKING about that possibility.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#63 of 191 Old 08-14-2012, 05:07 PM

JayGee- Sending you the strongest AF vibes!! Thinking of you.

Sparkle, way to make the forward motion happen!

RM, good luck with the class/test.

Last night I had a flat tire when I left work at 7:30- got it off and my full-sized spare on, and had three nails pulled out at the shop this morning. Then made student visits at the hospital, did some course prep and am off for a 12 hour night in maternity tonight. I don't have any more hospital shifts booked until labour day, so am looking forward to a couple of weeks of working "just" one job.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#64 of 191 Old 08-15-2012, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

hug.gif JG!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#65 of 191 Old 08-15-2012, 05:36 AM

JayGee, hug2.gif

Dh is away and I haven't run since Sunday. Turning into a big old grouch.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#66 of 191 Old 08-15-2012, 07:08 AM

JayGee - More AF vibes coming to you. hug2.gifWith that happening in the background (and I'm guessing you've only mentioned it to us?) I don't blame you for mainlining chocolate and retreating into cyberspace. I'd get the test.  Imagine me holding your hand when you do.

Re:Swimming and hip.  It has in the past made it hurt more.  The other day it didn't seem to bother it and I'm thinking about going again today but I am up early because I just couldn't stand trying to find a comfy position in bed any more.

MelW - What a PITA about the tire!  Yay for *just* one job!  Could that improve your chances of a late Aug meet-up while Sparkle's here?

Nic - I hope you can find a way to get a run in.  How long until dh is back?

It's the first day of the county fair today and that is pretty much the biggest event of the year here.  And every year I tell myself that next year I'll get my act together and enter something really good and then every year it sneaks up on me and I enter something lame just for the discount ticket. eyesroll.gif  This year was my failed-to-set-cherry-jam (aka sauce).  But today is the day we get to see if we won anything anyway.  And we get to spend time walking the gauntlet of elephant ears and berries with cream and corn dogs and cotton candy.  Actually, the berries sound good but nothing else does, I just wish it didn't smell so good!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#67 of 191 Old 08-15-2012, 08:37 AM

Test was negative and AF arrived (after I dropped $8.00 on the test...) now to figure out what is up with the 36 day cycle.

Heading out for my 20 minute run now. Oh, and the kids are back to school this morning. Is it wrong of me to feel relieved?

#68 of 191 Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 AM

joy.gifJayGee

No time to say anything else, more later I guess. Return tickets bought, way earlier than I want to go and causing all kinds of trouble with our orthodontic stuff because dh didn't bother to bring it up with me at all before ordering tickets. Ugh.

#69 of 191 Old 08-15-2012, 08:43 AM

JayGee, what a relief. I can't tell you how many times I've shucked out the cash for a test only to get AF as soon as I got the negative. eyesroll.gif Maybe the exit of the stress produces AF? Who knows. My cycles are also totally wonky now.

Jo, wave.gif

Hopefully will either get out today during the day or later this evening when dd1's bat mitzvah teacher comes over to work with her. Taper week anyway so I guess it's all good.

I. am. overwhelmed. It's quarter to twelve, I am still not really dressed, I have spent the morning working steadily on this-that-and-the-other and although I have gotten stuff done, it doesn't seem to have made a real dent. Sigh.

Step by step I guess.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#70 of 191 Old 08-15-2012, 09:18 AM

I tried to run and about 5 minutes in, something went POP in my hip and THE PAIN!!!! I hobbled home, and made an appointment with the physical therapist for Monday. argh.

#71 of 191 Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 AM

JG - Can you say Peri-menopause. It sounds pretty classic to me (first shortened cycles, the irregular.....) And combined with the mood stuff and crazy cravings. This is all familiar to me from PMS and that stint when I thought I was entering peri last year.... I'm reading the mood cure, and while I agree that there can be a lot to keep track of, it seems that one can just pick one or two aminos that sound most appropriate. I think I'm going to try 2, just during my luteal phase and see what happens (5-htp and another one I cant remember off hand). Im SO relieved with you/for you about AF

RR: Weight circuit for about 80 minutes. Getting stronger, but oh, so weak. Its so sad to watch the aging process happen, as in, wow, I really will never be THAT strong again (like I was in my twenties) without more hours of weight training than I would ever want to do lol.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#72 of 191 Old 08-15-2012, 09:54 AM

JayGee - Bask in the relief.  I'm so sorry about your hip.  I can just imagine (which explains why I only dream about running these days).

#73 of 191 Old 08-15-2012, 01:37 PM

JayGee, OH NO! I hate the sound of it! It sounds like an xray might happen? Good luck, mama. You need some smooth-sailing health vibes. goodvibes.gif

Nic blowkiss.gif

MelW, rant.gif flat tire. I hope there is calm ahead, and good things on the career horizon.

Sparkle, I have not read The Mood Cure, but alprazolam is certainly good at stopping my mind from spinning when needed. Have not yet noticed any side effects from BCP and am now nearing the time that I'd be crossing over, Oing and luteal-wise, so we'll see. But also I am so clearly NOT used to living in a house with a high-maintenance 6yo and 3yo. Oh my, my kids really are low-key. But you've made strides in your workouts, ma'am. Well done. I hope to be reporting similar soon.

Plady, I am so happy that your job world is gelling. I still have yet to sit down with my copy of the book where the poem lives, but I spent some time with the bios of the writers. My first reaction was to feel like such a loser alongside a bunch of achievery Pushcart Prize types. Then I thought, jeez, this was my first submission in over a decade and it worked, so maybe I just need to write more. (I know, duh.) My longhand way of saying I am grateful the universe is steering you into your passion and not away. 

All of my muscular awesomeness is gone. Sunday morning, I plan to wake at 4:30 and get in a run/walk before the holiday-day begins. Then, back to the arms and abs work, and back to my morning workouts. The good news is that this is the first Ramadan I have not gained weight. I have not stayed truly W30 compliant, but I have strayed only a couple of times for well-calculated treats: Bosnian pitta bread with spinach stuffing, birthday OMGcheesecake, and this cottage pie I made one night with lentils. Result? Grain is indeed my enemy. Dairy is not a digestive problem but ingestion coincides conspicuously with hormonal acne. Legumes TMI ALERT are not well digested. I have had to relax a little about things because my well-intentioned friend enjoys a challenge and likes to paleo-ify stuff. So I have been having canola oil, which I otherwise wouldn't ever (even before W30, this was not something we kept around). But have discovered an amazing organic ghee. I am sure my friend is looking forward to her usual grain- and bean-based diet, but she does admit that even just reducing grains has her fitting into her clothes better. thumb.gif

Did I mention the apartment dh picked out is a) ugly, and b) apparently too small for our dining table? I mean, I was willing to go from 3BR to 2BR, but if there's not even room for us to sit and eat food, wtf? Where do the bikes go?  Ugh, and the stove/oven doesn't fit, so he has to sell ours and buy a new one. Going to focus on beach views and park access and try really hard not to care about anything else.

poppy, if you're here, the shrug is lovely. It is gorgeous and should work perfectly. I almost want to add a blue length of ribbon or some such as a faster, but we'll see. It's perfect with the boots and dress and totally fits the aesthetic I was shooting for. I am finally starting to feel, at 39, like my style is coming together. eyesroll.gif

#74 of 191 Old 08-15-2012, 03:21 PM

jaygee~joy.gif for AF and goodvibes.gif for your hip. Hoping it's no big deal.

jo~wave.gif Sorry about the apartment. Hopefully it works out better than you think!

plady~I think your cherry sauce sounds delicious. orngbiggrin.gif

I'm back home, briefly. I feel like a complete slug, I did not get a single run in after the mudathlon, despite big plans to at least get a short one in Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning. Sigh. Oh well, I had a nice time with family, and especially with DS. As much as the little booger drives me crazy, I sure do miss him when he's not around. My parents brought my niece down and the kids had a fabulous time, as usual. I flew home yesterday just in time to go to work, yippee. It wasn't a bad night, all things considered (mostly the fact that I barely slept on the plane thanks to a screaming baby two rows back), but I really didn't want to be there. Oh well, it saved me 12 hours of PTO, I guess. Now I'm trying to get motivated to start packing for Vermont. Have I mentioned the fact that I'm terrified about traveling for a triathlon??? Yeesh. At least my bike is packed up and ready to go, but I still need to pack my transition bag (which is going to be my carry-on, so I have all my shoes and helmet and stuff with me) and figure out what else I need. And how I'm going to move all this stuff between cars and airports...the bike bag is NOT easy to maneuver. Bah.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#75 of 191 Old 08-15-2012, 04:22 PM

JG - we xposted. Yikes about the hip! wtf? I'm really hoping for some mechanical thing where the PT can just 'pop' it back in place...

#76 of 191 Old 08-15-2012, 04:32 PM

tjsmama, we were working maternity night shifts together across the distance last night. I started out with one very independent postpartum mama and baby worried it was going to be a horribly boring night (baby had been born at the start of my day shift on Monday, and there had been NOBODY in maternity since then). But we had a great quick birth before midnight, then I was called down to the ER to help with a cardiac arrest on the way in via ambulance. The paramedics, ER doc and nurses were all fabulous- I was mostly just the recorder and clock watcher while they did their thing. I got a break in the early morning, and admitted the next labouring woman at 0630 before going home. That's life in a small town hospital- feast or famine, and getting pulled to help in ER quite a bit lately.

JayGee joy.gif for AF, and hoping that you can get your hip figured out soon. Enjoy the back to school time away from the kids.

jo, I bet you'll build up muscular awesomeness again soon. And I'm am stealing that term! I hope that you find a way to make the new apartment a home, however temporary. I can't wait to see wedding pictures, too!

sparkle, I'm impressed with your workout groove right now. Luckily for me I was weak for much of my 20s, so I bet I can see that strength again lol.gif

Plady, enjoy the fair! Unfortunately the timing of sparkle's visit and when I finish my "on call" for the college job (all of August on call for students in final practicums) won't work for a visit. But I'll make it happen some day.

RR- After my nap this morning, did a 45 min trail run with my husband on a riverside trail. There was a break for swimming in the middle- probably about 200 metres with a decent current. I was tired and glad to have a running partner to keep me motivated to finish.

NRR- I just got the news that I have a bunch more teaching contracts for October-May. It's 50% class room Oct-Dec, 100% clinical teaching Jan- mid-March and one class every second week until the end of June (with the possibility of picking up more classes in the Spring.). It's enough to keep me going and to have some job security, and my dean was so kind to adjust the percentages to make sure that I would receive benefits for most of it, saving us a bunch of money and stress. Hopefully this stops me from constant job hunting mode, too. I can pick up shifts at the hospital to supplement in the fall and spring, and summer usually provides a lot of hospital work, too. Fingers crossed for the permanent job in fall 2013.

#77 of 191 Old 08-15-2012, 06:02 PM

jo - i meant to mention that, if needed, you can steam iron some designated shaping into that shrug. it's cotton/silk so it won't re-shape drastically, but if you needed more length or width, blast it with some steam, lay flat pull on it wherever needed, then let it dry for a day in place. also, i thought about a front fastener for you, but without having you nearby to try it on i was unsure of where one might be best. if you have a nearby friend who knows how to crochet/knit (you do, though, right?) they are easy things to add on (a loop and a nice antique button, for example)

blowkiss.gif

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#78 of 191 Old 08-16-2012, 05:22 PM

melw~That's crazy! I can't imagine getting pulled to the ED. I would just be standing there completely lost. :-D

My flight to Vermont is now delayed three hours. Did I mention that it was originally scheduled to land at 12:35 am? irked.gif Yeah, so it's looking like I'll be getting to the hotel around 4am now. I'm almost tempted to just say screw the hotel and sleep in the rental car. Assuming that they stay open for us. I've already called them twice when the previous two delays came across, and they said they would stay open. At this point, they should just open early! Grrr. Not really understanding this delay, considering it doesn't look like weather should be involved, and the first delay (an hour at that point) was sent out nearly 7 hours before the flight. I'm going to be very, very angry if they end up cancelling the flight. On the bright side, I had time to go get a pedicure and finally get the last of the mudathlon mud out from under my toenails...

rr~Squeezed in 9 miles this morning after registering DS for school. I was trying to take it easy, but my legs didn't want to, resulting in 6 miles at sub-10:30 pace. And then a major blow-up causing the last 3 miles to be at 12+ pace. rolleyes.gif Oh well. At least it bodes semi-well for running a 10k this weekend, right?

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#79 of 191 Old 08-16-2012, 09:37 PM

Gaye, I hope your plane came and you survived the early morning arrival.

RR- River swim (not really much exercise) this morning, and a great ocean swim this afternoon. It is so warm at high tide when the water has warmed up over the sand (Plady, it truly is. Many degrees warmer in our sheltered "sea" than on the west coast of the island where it's exposed to big pacific ocean currents. Warmer here than on the Oregon coast, too)

NRR- I'm an airhead today. Went out later than planned with the kids and missed being home for my husband's uncle's visit- it was my job to be here and meet him. Made various other stupid mistakes. And capped it off with dyeing an entire load of whites bright pink from a day camp tie-dye project that accidentally made it into the washer. I don't care about the underwear, but there were a few shirts and a dress of mine that I don't want to be pink. Sigh....

#80 of 191 Old 08-16-2012, 10:39 PM

sparkle--I read and own The Mood Cure and thought it was helpful. I've been meaning to look at the supplements she recommends again, because I'm not usually an anxious person but the school mill and bond nonsense is getting to me, already. It's not even anxiety, per se, as much as it is that my brain is running constantly, thinking of stuff I should do, beating me up for stuff that's not done yet, worrying that perhaps I left a hole in my argument somewhere, worrying about what will happen if it doesn't pass, and then worrying about all the work stuff I haven't done because I'm doing stuff for the mill and bond, or how I'm a crappy parent or whatever. So, yeah. I think I'll take the L-glutamine and 5-HTP, but I don't remember if that's right or not.

tjsmama--ugh! Hope that's the last of the travel troubles, and good luck this weekend!

JayGee--sending all sorts of AF vibes.

MelW--your river swim sounded lovely.

Plady--have fun at the fair. I entered a pair of knitted intarsia mittens in ours last week. They won fourth. I think only five people entered. R said there were six. The first was a very lovely lace wrap, and second place were gloves (ok, gloves outrank mittens). But third was a plain-looking sweater, and I don't understand that one. And then again, I don't care because I'd much rather be wearing my mittens than that sweater. lol.gif Next year? I think I'm going to enter a crochet project too because I don't think anyone did. wink1.gif

RR: none today. Might do a bit more of a workout before bed.

NRR: the usual. R starts school on Monday and our semester begins Monday. Campaign stuff is making me dizzy.gif and I'm simultaneously looking forward to taking on one of the issues at the Board of Education public comment session, and also freaking out that it's a problem that I'm going to let my class out early so I can fly to the meeting (to which I'll still be late) and then that I'm going to let them out early again a couple of weeks later so I can make it in time for curriculum night. Maybe I should just let DH go to curriculum night and fill me in? To look like a bad prof or a bad mom, that is the question.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#81 of 191 Old 08-17-2012, 08:00 AM

Morning Mamas!

Real - I don't think sending dh to curr. night will make you look like a bad mom, just one with a good dh doing his dad thing.  I hope that the anxiety/overthinking subsides as the fall schedule becomes routine.

Gaye -Hope you are safely there and settled in. 

MelW - Today would be a perfect day to try the water here, but the kids are determined to spend the day on the fair rides (all three of them eyesroll.gif).

Jo - I'm sorry about the apartment angst!  Your poor dh, he obviously is trying to do good things but sounds like he can't keep all the variables in his head at crucial moments.  But oy!  I 'm sorry that you keep getting stuck in these weird half right situations!

RM - Hope your motorcycle class wet (is going?) well.  My dh loves to brag that I was the valedictorian of my motorcycle class that I took once.  lol.gif  Not that I ever ride anymore bawling.gif I'm sure you'll be graduating with high honors too!

JG - Hope that you're feeling more yourself!

Poppy - We have a lot of great knitters on this island but I'm sure you'd still have your way with this fair if you ever wanted to come up and spend the week here for it. 

RR: I swam a few more laps on Wed. I did think it would bother my hip, but it didn't so that was nice.  I doubt I'll get anything in today though, just sweltering away while the kids ride all the can in three hours.

NSR: Still going strong on the no sugar (okay, dh and I did have a little gin last night, but no sugar in that).  I haven't noticed any significant weight change which is frankly annoying but I do feel less bloated.  That bloated feeling was getting pretty constant so this is a real relief.  The kids are definitely getting impatient but they are also much more willing to accept fruit as a sweet treat which is cool.  So, we continue on.

#82 of 191 Old 08-17-2012, 12:13 PM
bec

Surfacing for air.  The last couple of weeks have been really horrendous.  I worked 3 nights last week in the middle of the night!  On the other hand, it is done, and now I can recover!  I have a shift on Saturday in the middle of the day, and then one evening shift next week and then I'll be back to my normal schedule!!!!!

Working these evenings triggers everything that goes wrong with my body.  Depression, bad eating, chronic fatigue symptoms (aching, headache, exhaustion even after the proper number of hours sleep), crankiness, and laziness.  These all turn into a vicious cycle, feeding off of each other.  I definitely couldn't do this long term!  It also doesn't help that I have had my period this week.

So, I have been struggling, but, feel like I am not sinking anymore, and like I've been handling everything as well as possible.

Sadly, there is no RR to report (although, work has certainly been active with lots of bending, carrying, climbing, etc.).

Kids are getting ready for school.  We don't start until the 27th, but Katie had her Jr. High check in, and got her class schedule.  We had time to explore the school, walk her schedule a couple of times, and really get a feel for what her day will look like.  It was very reassuring for her, and I think she is excited.  She has also figured out how to work her combination lock quickly.  It took most of the summer, but she has finally gotten it!  Phew!  I'm glad we got the permission to get the lock over the summer.  Most of the other kids are getting their locks the first day of school.  That would not have worked for Katie!

Also, she has been practicing her flute all summer, has gotten so much better!  She has been asking about writing her own songs.  So, I finally went online and found a music editor and put in the notes that she told me to.  She came up with a very pretty little song!  So proud of her.  It would never have occurred to me to write my own song at that age.  Playing it like she wrote it might be a different thing, but she is motivated to practice it!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#83 of 191 Old 08-17-2012, 02:16 PM

I made it safely to Burlington! Didn't get to the hotel in Manchester until nearly 4, and then couldn't fall asleep rolleyes.gif, so I had less than 4 hours of sleep, so I'm sure that will lead to a great race tomorrow. rolleyes.gif I'm all checked in at the "meticulously clean" (it really is!) T-Bird Motor Inn, which far exceeds my expectations. I picked up my packet, spent some money at the expo (event t-shirt and a pint glass), met up with a FB acquaintance and her DH for lunch, and checked my bike in/checked out swim start/finish, transition, and the finish line. There appears to be a rather large hill to start the run off with, so that should be fun. Oh, and we jump off a dock for the swim. Here's hoping my goggles stay on (and don't leak!). I'm totally feeling like an imposter here...I have never seen so many super fit people or so many expensive bikes in my life. Holy moley. It's a good thing I have low expectations for the race, lol. I must say, there is some rather nice eye candy...I've chatted with a couple of very nice looking guys. orngbiggrin.gif

I'm settled into the hotel, race numbers applied to everything, and just waiting for Mandy to go to dinner. joy.gif Hopefully, I'll get to meet up with ashcav tomorrow after the race, too.

Goals for tomorrow: a) Don't die. b) Finish. c) Don't be the last one on the course. d) (my reach goal orngbiggrin.gif) Don't be last in my age group.

#84 of 191 Old 08-17-2012, 02:28 PM

Gaye ~ just GETTING to AG Nationals is a big deal!  That was my goal about 3 summers ago (and you can see how well that went eyesroll.gif).  Have an awesome race tomorrow and enjoy your time in Vermont.  I am SO envious!

bec ~ I'm sorry you've been so busy and out of sorts with work.  That job sounds awfully demanding, especially with the middle-of-the-night stuff.  Ugh....  Glad Katie got time to practice with her lock and is ready to go for middle school!

Real ~ there were plenty of "Dad + Kid" at our curriculum night.  I don't think you should feel compelled to be there and if you're not, it certainly doesn't make you a bad mom.

Plady ~ Hope the county fair wasn't too torturous.  WTG on the sugar-free, especially for your kids!  I'm impressed.

RR ~ biked to school in the morning, then home, then back to school in the afternoon and back home again for a grand total of 4 miles. Hey, it's something!

NRR ~ first 3 days of school were good and I am really happy with all three teachers this year.  DS took his math placement test on Wednesday and we'll find out on Monday if he's in the top group or not.  He missed a few questions on multiplying fractions because they didn't get that far in the book last year and I didn't cover it with him over the summer.  Overall, it's a good start.

#85 of 191 Old 08-17-2012, 09:12 PM
bec

Go, Gaye!!  Have an amazing time tomorrow!!!!!  I'll be thinking of you!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#86 of 191 Old 08-17-2012, 09:23 PM

Gaye, what JayGee said. You amaze, and will amaze.

JayGee, does sound like a good start to the year. I am nervous for this coming school year.

Plady, I applaud your sugar-free work, too. I have been really quite good with Ramadan, but every choice to off-road has turned out to be pretty uncomfortable. Monday's the day. As long as I can be back to regular hydration and coffee, I'll be more than happy to be back on greens and meat. I'm thrilled to be back in single-digit pants, and still amazed at what a struggle it suddenly isn't. Who knew?

real, I look forward to a pic with your blue ribbon next year. I once got a blue ribbon for oatmeal raisin cookies. ROTFLMAO.gif

bec, looking forward to seeing you. orngbiggrin.gif Hoping for good weather. It could really be such fun. Even though my musician friend can't make it. Bummer, I know, but we're talkers, not dancers, anyway.

Thanks for the understanding on the apt stuff. I'm trying not to come off as a whiner-brat, and I am sure the place will prove more than adequate, while not roomy. I am a little concerned about where the bikes will go (can't live on the balcony IMO), and bummed that my stove will have to be replaced (it has a rotisserie), but what-EVER. We'll jam our crap in there and go to IKEA and get some of those awesome cube shelf unit things and make space. Also, we will spend a couple weeks there in Oct, then likely go to Morocco (oh yeah, get ready for flea-lice-and-crabs reports) and won't really settle in until Nov. And then the weather will be leveling out so I will get back into my daily beach habit, and there is the six-mile stretch of the corniche literally a block from the apartment, and a park across the street. It will be FINE. Just a space adjustment. I just needed to get the negatives off my chest before dh gets here and I have to start talking about it. Also there was some retail therapy. I found a Skirt dress, the kind I like for swimming and running and everything, on sale at Sierra trading post, so I got it and some capris (wore out two pairs over the past year and my pink Skirt dress is doing that exploding elastic thing) and there was a promo code...and then I got me and dd matching Nuu-Muus and scored another promo code...and Lands End has swim on sale, so I got some cheap full-coverage swim bottoms. So once the shipments come, I guess I'm ready to go back. Sheepish.gif

In other good news, he got a business-class ticket, so hopefully on our return trip we can split shifts in business and each get some real sleep on the flight. A 14-hour flight means two 7-hour sleep shifts. Huge improvement over zero sleep.

RR: I mowed the lawn today. A large-ish lawn in exurbia, with an old, hard-to-push mower (that was mine back on the farm). My friend got her finger a couple weeks ago with an immersion blender so she is in no shape to push that thing. It was hard work, fasted, mid-afternoon. Calves are cramping. Sunday AM I'll be out for an early walk post-coffee, and Monday I'm back on the Good Food wagon. I am already switching back to more normal sleep patterns. I can't wait to be active again. Also

In other news, major mother drama. eyesroll.gif It seems to have hit a fan. No one has been left unscathed. Me? I'll just continue to remind her as I count down the days, we can have good days together, or I can have good days with other people who want to share good days. Life is too short to be controlled, and also not to be madly in love with such wonderful family and friends as I have. So lucky.

Dh will be here in a week. I am not sure I am ready to jump into a serious cross-training schedule. And I am sure it will be very serious. mischievous.gif

My hometown county fair is Labor Day weekend. I am so there. Can't wait. Probably going to see classmates there, plus it's a real ag county, so it's got good barns.

#87 of 191 Old 08-18-2012, 08:27 AM

Go Gaye - broc1.gif

RR: nope

NRR: I have been seriously off the wagon for the past three days and I feel it. Gad, why is it so hard to not lean on my crutch foods so hard. They are habit, that's all. When I am on vacation, it is so easy to eat well and I feel so much better Then I come home and it's so easy to fall back. I am finding it the opposite as you Jo. Add the self-loathing, mix and bake and here I am. Tomorrow I must start again.

In other news, has anyone ever framed a large poster in a cost-effective way? I went to see about framing one at a frame store and it will cost $240 for the cheapest (read: ugly) frame they have. wtf. But there are literally no mass produced frames that size, like at Target. So I am left with the possibility of making a frame dizzy.gif

#88 of 191 Old 08-18-2012, 09:50 AM

Go Gaye!!!!  I saw on FB that you finished, but can't wait to hear the whole report!

sparkle ~ I feel exactly the same food struggle.  Sigh....  I wish we lived nearer to each other so we could lend support IRL.

jooj ~ you have a wonderful attitude about the new apartment.  It will be okay.  Cozy, yes, but okay.  And the proximity to the beach sounds lovely. Way to go on the weight-gain-free Ramadan too!  Now that is something to celebrate!  Enjoy that crosstraining too mischievous.gif.

NRR ~ DS decided not to play for our town's soccer club this year and instead went out for another local club and was selected.  Today is their first game.  I did a little research and his new team is ranked #1 in the state for boys U11.  Gulp.  Unfortunately, all the games are 45 minutes away in Missouri (mostly because apparently there was no "real" competition in Illinois).  Keep in mind that DS's old team routinely got trounced last year playing in the Illinois league.  Jacob is a good player, but I'm a little bit scared that he's in over his head.  Still, he got selected so I'll defer to the coach on this one.

Heading out now with the girls to hit the bookstore smile.gif.  No exercise because my hip hurts badly this morning. Even walking around the house is painful.  Hope the PT can shed some light on the situation on Monday.

#89 of 191 Old 08-18-2012, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

sparkletruck - we have mounted a couple of prints instead of framing them and have loved the results. Have you looked into that option?

1jooj - glad to hear you sounding so well. I can't believe the summer is near its end already!

nickarollaberry - did you find time for a run?

Gaye - I hope you are having a fabulous weekend!

I am not doing so well - near my breaking point, I think. Just two more weeks at the cafe and then into the next chapter, whatever that will be. There has been literally no time to call either of the universities to have the conversations I need to have with them before I can get started. There might be a window this coming Tuesday and I am counting on that. I am physically exhausted and pulled a muscle in my lower back this morning but will have to just push through it until it gets better. I am so tired that I am even dreaming about sleep when I do get to sleep and I am just willing myself through parenting, work, housework, meals, bathing, everything. My house isn't quite a disaster but is one bad day away from it. The dryer isn't working and my kids have had way too much screen time this summer. dh comes home in the middle of the night tonight and I am trying to be positive that everything will get easier when he gets home because it should, shouldn't it? greensad.gif  I don't know where I will find the emotional reserves to deal with any drama between him and the kids. If I can just last two and a half more weeks I will get a quiet day at home alone. There is just always more to do and I can't seem to ever feel rested or caught up. How do other people do it and I can't?

I am trying hard to eat well but it has been hard with the pace, especially this week. My best friend went way over the top spoiling me on my birthday and bought me a Vitamix. I have made really good smoothies every day and I am sure that is the only thing keeping me going! I also pureed a couple of pounds of ginger for the freezer and need to start on the garlic next. Right now I am sipping a blend of strawberries, grapes, watermelon, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds and mint from my garden. I did break down and get some fresh corn at the market today even though it never agrees with anything but my tastebuds but I will be back on the grain and dairy free band wagon starting tomorrow. 

#90 of 191 Old 08-18-2012, 07:24 PM

shanti~hug.gif Thinking of you and hoping for some peaceful time for you.

Very long race report coming...mostly copied from my dailymile posts, unfortunately...I'm too tired to re-type!

As you all know, I had really low expectations going into this race. My training has been weak, to say the least, and there are a whole lot of really fast people here...and I am not one of them! I really just came for the experience...and the t-shirt and finisher's medal! That said, I was super nervous as I headed down to the swim start. The way the course was laid out made it look pretty reasonable, but the closer we got to our wave start, the more the wind kept picking up. What had been a relatively calm lake was suddenly really choppy. Before I was ready, it was time to jump off the dock into the water, and away we went.

The waves weren't too bad on the way to the first buoy, yet I saw one of the girls in my wave bail out and wave over a kayak. I won't lie, that kind of messed with my head a little. As we made the turn into the next stretch, the waves just kept picking up. I was getting seasick from the waves every time I tried to swim normally, so I was stuck breast-stroking, and the buoys just didn't seem to be getting any closer. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to wave down a boat and quit. By the time we hit the far side of the rectangle, the waves were probably 3-4 feet high. Honestly, the only thing that kept me going was my pride and stubbornness. And the fact that I didn't fly all the way across the country and spend all this money to DNF. I would not leave without my finisher's medal. Messing with my head even more was the fact that I didn't realize that there was a 20 minute break after the wave behind us, so I kept waiting for the next wave to go flying by me, and they never did. I wondered if they suspended the swim and if it was safe to keep going (not really rational thoughts, but it wasn't really a rational situation!). I finally got to the next to last turn buoy, and a kayaker asked if I needed a break. I started to say no, but yes came out instead! First time hanging onto a kayak, but she gave me a nice little pep talk for the home stretch. Around the final turn buoy and inside the breakwater, and it was finally calm waters again! Just in time for the next wave (delayed 20 minutes, remember) to finally catch me. As I climbed out of the water and up the boat ramp, I almost started crying because I was so relieved to have survived that swim!

Obviously, this was a terrible swim time, but considering the conditions, I'm just proud to have finished!

I took my time in transition, trying to recover from the swim a little, and my time shows it. Out onto the bike, and my happy place. My legs were more tired than usual going into the bike, thanks to all the breaststroking on the swim, but oh well. Again, low expectations. :-) As expected, I got blown by a LOT on the bike by really fast people on really expensive bikes. The course was really nice...through the Vermont countryside, past barns and sugarhouses, and at one point, a gorgeous view of Lake Champlain. And the beauty of being as slow as I am is that you can take the time to enjoy all the scenery!

I made sure to use my inhaler before heading out of transition for the run, especially since I knew there was a hill right away. Let me tell you...the hill was no joke! I knew as soon as I hit it that I wasn't going to be able to run up it, so I settled into a fast walk. Even at just a walk, my asthma kicked in and I started wheezing. I wheezed all the way up the hill, even with another dose of my inhaler. I had at least three or four people ask me if I was all right, so I must have been wheezing pretty loudly! I made it up the hill and tried to settle into a decent run pace. It was actually pretty cool how many people were encouraging (as they went flying by) me, with lots of "good job"s and "keep it going"s. By the time I got to mile 2, I was actually feeling pretty good and was able to pick it up a little. Well, relatively speaking. The second half of the run course was great, along a bike path with lots of shade. And slightly downhill. :-) I negative split the run, by at least a couple of minutes, and honestly, I felt the best during the last two miles. I guess marathon training is good for something! It wasn't my best run, but all things considered, I'm pretty happy with it. Exhausting swim, not-great-training, the plantar fasciitis-ish thing I've been fighting for months...and yet it wasn't fast, but it wasn't awful.

Coming into the finish chute was pretty emotional...running along the red carpet, knowing that I finished despite the crazy swim, and that I even made it to Nationals in the first place! For someone who isn't an awesome athlete, it still seems surreal that not only did I qualify for Nationals, but that I came, and I finished. I have the finisher's medal to prove it!

And for all the people who laughed and didn't believe me when I said I would probably finish last in my age group...guess what? I DID. And I'm actually a little proud of that, in a weird way. Somebody has to finish last, right? And I am now proof positive that DFL>DNF>DNS. I wouldn't change the experience for the world. Well, ok, maybe just getting rid of those waves on the swim! :-D

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page