Faster, higher, stronger - Dingo athletes keep calm and carry on through August! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 191 Old 09-02-2012, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oooh, Plady and Sparkle...how fun to have a meetup! I'm jealous.

Plady actually dh does do a lot of pickup etc. when necessary and he is not on call, but this week he is on the Vineyard because next Sunday is the triathlon he owns/directs. We'll be joining him next weekend. The other day he did make dinner etc. which was helpful (even if the mess afterwards was ... less so... eyesroll.gif). In general he is willing to do picking up and minding the kids when he is not on call and I can't be there. Except for certain times where we really quibble over 'whose morning' it is to go and work out early, my running time is also something he really tries to work around. He can (as we all know) be totally impossible about a lot of things but those are things he does work with me on.

I am feeling a lot better today -- I felt better about 8 hours after starting abx. Amazing, those little pills. Here's hoping the other kids don't get sick. Ugh.

Because of the abx though I only did 7.75 this morning on my long run. When I'm taking zithro I can't eat without having to go to the bathroom RIGHT away, so I can't take fuel in on the run. I meant to do 8 but miscalculated the route. Oh well. Tomorrow I am getting a sitter over so I can run in the morning and the rest of the week will be catch as catch can since he's away and I can't leave my kids alone yet. On the up side, the last two runs I've felt very strong.

So much work to do today to revamp all my lesson plans as I really don't like what I've done. So annoying and I"m feeling so...incompetent. Also (and this sounds ridiculous but so be it) I HATE the way my classroom is set up (teacher desk placement, computer placement, student desk placement) and I'm struggling with my spatial-relations disability to figure out what will work with me within the parameters of what can be done (computer outlets etc.). I also need to find some drawers to put files in at school so I'm not carting papers back and forth all the time, finagle a bookcase from someplace for my classroom, and organize my gradebook for grades and assignments for 5 separate classes for a whole academic year. We have a new online gradebook system which I am not quite proficient in yet but I like to keep a paper record esp because I don't always have time to enter stuff in right away. All these things seem so silly but put together I am flailing about feeling totally out of sorts and disorganized, which I HATE. And I need maps for my room...but the building is new so to put them up I have to go get those command strip hooks etc. Dumb stuff...sigh. Ok sorry for the silly little whinefest.

On the up side I finally was able to buy some of the 'luxury' vegan things I want to make eating yummier and easier (nutritional yeast, vegan cheese, etc.) because there is a TJs and Whole Foods near my work (there isn't one within 30 mins. of my house except this one and one in Amherst, also 40 mins. away). It makes a big difference to me.

Ok...off to write a lecture on legitimacy, political culture, and First Party Revolution (circa 18th century America).

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 191 Old 09-02-2012, 10:45 AM
bec

So, there really isn't anything for me in Little Rock.  But, the girlfriend that is talking me into a spring marathon has her heart set on this particular one for some reason (I was trying to convince her that the Phoenix R&R on the same weekend would be good, but she was hearing none of it.  So, basically, I'm sort of going along for the ride!  I've never actually been to Arkansas, so that is something.  And I like destination races, because then I don't have to worry about family (kids) needing me in the middle of the night (which invariably happens if I am at home). 

School has started off pretty well.  Katie has really adjusted nicely this week to Jr. High (a pleasant surprise).  I really think that letting her walk the halls of the school before hand, and follow her schedule a few times paid off.  And, she was totally pumped when she was one of the first kids in her class to master her combination lock.  That was a big boost.  And no one else needs to know that she worked like a demon all summer long to get it!

Oh, and the source of all the stress and anxiety from the last couple of weeks has resolved itself.  The Internet sanitized version is DH has been job hunting, and there were some hiccups that left us with a lot of uncertainty as to where and if he would have a job come this Tuesday.  Things finally settled this past Thursday (that's how close it has been).  So, big, big sighs of relief going on around here.  And this is going to be a pretty awesome job for him.  He's excited, I'm excited for him, and we are just filing all that was learned away.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#183 of 191 Old 09-02-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

I also need to find some drawers to put files in at school so I'm not carting papers back and forth all the time, finagle a bookcase from someplace for my classroom, and organize my gradebook for grades and assignments for 5 separate classes for a whole academic year. We have a new online gradebook system which I am not quite proficient in yet but I like to keep a paper record esp because I don't always have time to enter stuff in right away. All these things seem so silly but put together I am flailing about feeling totally out of sorts and disorganized, which I HATE. And I need maps for my room...but the building is new so to put them up I have to go get those command strip hooks etc. Dumb stuff...sigh. Ok sorry for the silly little whinefest.

fwiw. at my home our gigantic file cabinet is occupied by all the paperwork my dh has had in there for 15 years. I'm sure you've heard me say I opened it up to discover the folder of crap that the grad school gave him when he attended orientation in 1995. Anyhow, I took myself to office max and they sell boxes (think bankers boxes) that are made of plastic, accept hanging files. I have two. They are my "file cabinet" (I didn't just buy another file cabinet because the one I wanted was expensive and my dh told me he would empty his ... four years ago).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#184 of 191 Old 09-03-2012, 05:39 AM

We got a small, two-drawer cabinet from an older neighbor when she was cleaning out her house. It's typical utilitarian beige-enameled steel. It locks. It's just enough. Now, I carry essential papers in an accordion file and would do plastic totes as kerc describes for anything else.

Plady and sparkle, color me jealous! I would SO love to be there. peace.gif

bec, it sounds like a MAJOR load off. Here's to a much less stressful time ahead!

Quick update here, kids and I are definitely coming into this online thing. Ds is loving his history lessons, starting to pick up on math waaay better, and same with grammar. Dd is still plowing through math lessons, still trying to find her "starting point." I am waiting to hear back on dd's scantron results, wondering whether the school is going to recommend accelerating her in math, in which case all this assessing through units is not going to matter much. Got ds's results and basically handed the info over to him with a "See? You're a smart kid," and a reiteration of my expectations for him. We are settling into a routine that involves about 5 hours of lesson work a day, and I have even taken both kids on a run. Looks like we'll have about 6 weeks to work here before traveling, so I expect we'll get through plenty of subject work.

And I have run or walked daily, and am about to get out for another one. Arms, shoulders and back are sore from getting back into the workout routine. Give me a couple weeks.

Hoping for dh to be back between the 15th and the 20th, and we'll be leaving the US sometime in Oct.

#185 of 191 Old 09-03-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

Sparkletruck's visit was really neat.  Her kids are great and they hit it off immediately with our girls so mostly what we heard from them was giggling all around the house. love.gif   Her poor ds had a rough start here, first Alison threw a toy at him that split his lip and then he stumbled into a yellow jacket nest while they were out picking blackberries and he got 16 stings!  The poor kid! He is amazingly resilient though and after benedryl and a baking soda bath he was fine.  Sparkle's dh is a really nice guy, easy to chat with, good sense of humor.  And having Jess right here hanging out in my house just felt totally normal in that weird Dingo way.  Of course, seeing her in person is a little distracting because she's this GORGEOUS tall blonde with blue eyes and it's a little like having a super model hanging at your kitchen counter.  lol.gif  

biglaugh.gif Yeah, super-model here. Its REALLY too bad that we didnt take any pics (w/ the huge Nikon we had in our pack eyesroll.gif) so that you could see the facts. Funny thing is, I was sort of staring at P the whole time because she is so beautiful; you already know the blue eyes/brown hair combo drool.gif

Plady neglected to mention that the "toy" was a ball from the pool table (we embellish by saying it was the eight ball, but I really dont know). And then just today he wiped out on my friends' kids' scooter going WAY too fast downhill. I TOLD you P ! nut.gif We went "tubing" at my friends' parents house yesterday (they live on a lake) - tubing is where you tie an inner tube to a speed boat and go fast and make lots of tight turns to try to throw the person off - and DS LET GO because he wanted to fly through the air at top speed and land in the water nut.giflol.gif

We're in Seattle until tomorrow, and then I will be back to personals.

kiss.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#186 of 191 Old 09-03-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

Plady neglected to mention that the "toy" was a ball from the pool table (we embellish by saying it was the eight ball, but I really dont know).

Well, I think the official name is Magic 8 Ball.  Had Alison asked prior to throwing, "should I throw this?" I'm sure it would have said,"OUTLOOK NOT SO GOOD."orngtongue.gif

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#187 of 191 Old 09-03-2012, 01:50 PM
bec

Oh, sooooo jealous of the dingo meetup.  It sounds exactly like what makes a great time!  Kids loving each other, someone getting stung by bees, and bonding all around! happytears.gif  For the record, it sounds like Sparkle's DS, and my Abby would get along like peas and carrots!  I could totally see her letting go so she could fly!

Jo - That's awesome that your kids are settling in to the new school regime so nicely!  They need to have a good academic year.

My kids are currently devising their own chore chart.  I'm way to disorganized to do this myself, and kind of like just telling them, on occasion to clean this or that up, so this motivation is clearly not coming from me.  Hmmmmm.

#188 of 191 Old 09-03-2012, 04:59 PM

bec, I love the kid designed chore chart. Amazing! And congrats to your husband on the new job!!

Nic, I hope your second week of school goes smoothly and the organizational stuff gets worked out to make things less stressful.

sparkle and plady, I felt your waves and love headed up the straight toward me! I'm glad you had such a fun meetup, and I am kicking myself for not making it.

jo, I'm glad that you have found your groove with online school. Fingers crossed for your husband's timely return.

Thank you to everyone for the table manners support. We're a work in progress...

Filing- Files are my domain, and a very neglected one over the past couple of years. I did a big overhaul and tossed a lot of old paperwork (oil change notices from 5 years ago, paperwork from a phone company we no longer use, old tax paperwork, etc.). I'm good at the filing organization, and leave the kitchen cabinet spatial stuff to my husband. He's a "keeper" as far as paperwork goes, so I try to discern it's purpose and make appropriate files. I have one drawer of "my" paperwork and one "shared/household" stuff, and he has another four drawer filing cabinet. Among other things, it includes files labeled "funny articles" and "strange articles (not funny)". And multiple drafts of every manuscript he has ever written, plus many he has edited for other people.

RR- A bit of running, a bit of heavy gardening/lifting/shoveling and some lovely "worked" feeling muscles :)

NRR- I booked a 12 hour day at the hospital ages ago, and distinctly remember a conversation with the staffing office about a stat day shift being available and how unusual that I would get it as a very junior casual. Today they didn't have any record of booking me. I stayed for 4 hours because of various contract things that said they had to keep me and filed a request for investigation for them to comb through phone logs from the pre-booking earlier this summer. Spent the afternoon on a "divide and conquer" date with the youngest at the BMX track while my husband played lego with the oldest. Kids have been whiny and a bit anxious about the back to school routine coming up over the next couple of weeks.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#189 of 191 Old 09-04-2012, 06:40 AM
bec

MelW - That sounds really like a huge hassle.  I'm sorry for the mixup!

Nic - I hope your 2nd week is off to a smooth start! And that everyone can be healthy now!  So miserable getting sick at the very beginning!

RR: Early Morning Boot Camp done.  Do you think I burn more calories for doing it at 5:30 in the morning?  I think I should get extra credit for getting up that early!

#190 of 191 Old 09-04-2012, 06:58 AM

New thread   love.gif

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#191 of 191 Old 09-04-2012, 02:24 PM