Faster, higher, stronger - Dingo athletes keep calm and carry on through August! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 191 Old 08-02-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Because Jo's July intro was so cute, I'm stealing it recycling it for August! blowkiss.gif Thanks Jo!

~~~~~~~~~~~~jog.gif~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the August thread. run.gif

New visitors to the Dingo Thread may ask, "but, what is a Dingo?"

Dingoes are mamas (defined loosely, when needed) who run, walk, cycle, tri, and participate in whatever sport they need to sustain their awesome mama selves in lives that are definitely dynamic. Sometimes, a Dingo is injured, or life takes a turn, and she has to take a break from her chosen sport. Whether active or aspiring, Dingoes support one another in spirit. When two Dingoes are in the same place at the same time, something incredibly special happens. This is called a Dingo Meetup. They are relatively rare, and so we try to record them with photographic evidence.

Are you a Dingo? You just might be, if:

You sometimes perform acts of brilliance in order to squeeze a workout into a busy week.

You're never ashamed of coming in at the back of the pack, even if you're used to coming in faster.

You have found yourself sincerely respecting and admiring moms in all forms, observing how they're doing it for love, and growing from their experiences as well as your own

You won't know until you try, and all comers are welcome.

coolshine.gif Happy August!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#2 of 191 Old 08-02-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

: dingo race list
:

Nickarolaberry - Providence (RI) Rock n Roll Half - August 19, 2012

tjsmama -USAT Age Group Nationals, August 18, 2012

bec - Pub Run 5k , August 25

Dmitrizmom - Pufferbilly 10k, September 8

bec -  5kayak, September 9 

realrellim - Summit Assault (5 mi), September, 2012
Dmitrizmom - Iowas Best Dam Tri - September 16, 2012

tjsmama -Rock n Roll Denver 1/2 Marathon, September 22, 2012

doctorjen - Twin Cities Marathon - October 7, 2012

mel38 - Marine Corps Marathon - October 28, 2012

tjsmama - New York City Marathon - November 4, 2012

Dmitrizmom - Chocolaterie Stamp 5k, November 4, 2012

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#3 of 191 Old 08-02-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

run.gif2012 Dingo Race Results partytime.gif

realrellim - Yeti Chase 10K - January 28, 2012 - 53:24 (PR!)

realrellim - Ralston Creek Half Marathon - February 12, 2012 - 2:00:43

mommajb - 10k - March 17, 2012 - 59:??

doctorjen - Diva Dash 5k - March 25, 2012 - 24:55

Mel38 - Cooper River Bridge Run 10k - March 31, 2012 - 1:03:29 (PR)

realrellim - Redline 13.1 Westminster - April 7, 2012 - 1:57:56

bec - Reach out and Run 5k - April 21, 2012 - 42-ish (with 6yo DD!)

doctorjen - Rock the Parkway half marathon - April 14, 2012 - 1:56:49 (PR!)

Mel38 - TryCharleston Sprint triathlon - April 21, 2012 - 1:30:38

tjsmama - Cherry Creek Sneak 10 Miler - April 29, 2012 - 1:41:39

Mel38 - Hell Hole Swamp Gator Run 10k - May 5, 2012 - 1:02:45 (PR!)

bec - Indy Mini Half Marathon - May 5, 2012 - 2:47:22

realrellim - Miles for Moms 5k - May 5, 2012 - 25:12

Mel38 - Charleston Sprint Tri Series #1 - May 20, 2012 - 1:29:35

Nickarolaberry - Rubin Run Half Marathon - May 12, 2012 - 2:06:11

MelW - Gutbuster 12.5km - May 27, 2012 - 1:45:15

tjsmama - Boulder Bolder 10k - May 27, 2012 - 1:01:30

realrellim - Boulder Bolder 10k - May 27, 2012 - 1:01:29

realrellim - Steamboat Marathon - June 3, 2012 - 4:12:13

Dmitrizmom - MudRun - June 9, 2012 - 50:23.3

Mel38 - A.L.S. Hope 5k - June 9, 2012 - 26:41 (PR!)
Dmitrizmom - Ogden Fun Days BeHere 5K - June 16, 2012 - 36:23 (PR!!)

tjsmama - Loveland Lake to Lake triathlon (oly) - June 23, 2012 - 3:04:26

Mel38 - Charleston Sprint Tri Series #2 - June 17, 2012 - 1:26:19

realrellim - Run for Independence 5M - June 30, 2012 - 50:36

babybugmama - Champions4Children 5k - July 7, 2012 - 27:15

realrellim - Middle Park Half Marathon - July 7, 2012 - 1:58:23

Dmitrizmom - Iowa Games Triathlon - July 8, 2012 - 2:11:46

bec -  Racine Half Ironman - July 15, 2012 - 8:02:12

tjsmama - Courage Classic Bike Tour - July 21-23, 2012

mel38 - Charleston Sprint Tri Series #4 - July 29, 2012 - 1:32:38

bec - Hog Jog 5k - August 4, 2012 -

tjsmama - Mudathlon, August 11, 2012 -

realrellim - Holy Cow Trail Stampede 10K - August 11, 2012 - 52:45 (PR!!)

tjsmama - USAT Age Group Nationals - August 18, 2012

Nickarolaberry - Providence (RI) Rock n Roll Half - August 19, 2012 - 2:06:23

2010 Results

2011 Results

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#4 of 191 Old 08-02-2012, 06:54 AM

Subbing.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#5 of 191 Old 08-02-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Whew, after not posting in forever, I just got a wild urge to start the August thread!

Mel - I am concerned about your spiderbite infection! I hope those abx kick in today and it subsides.

Nick - I hope you are feeling better today, too!

DH's birthday today, so I have a bunch of things to do to get ready for our little family party this afternoon...

Work has been just overwhelming for the past 3 weeks. Going on the 4th week, I think I took one almost full day off a few days ago, and spent it paying bills and trying to get our own family budget squared away. The actual hours vary each day, sometimes I have kid-related commitments that get me out of the house, but it has been just way, way too much lately.

RR: My knee is better enough for me to be running regularly, but it still swells and feels creaky at times. I am just proceeding day by day and hoping for the best, icing and taking glucosamine regularly. Running just feels very slow and laborious lately. Some of that might be heat and humidity related, but I am also certain that my overall running form has suffered from my knee issues.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#6 of 191 Old 08-02-2012, 08:56 AM

jog.gif

Dentist appointment this morning, and two cavities. irked.gif I have awesome teeth that rarely get cavities. Boo.

Waiting for a friend to go run in the heat (because she refused to get up early enough to do it before my appt...). Could be ugly.

eta rr: Yep, it was an ugly 8 miles. Not because of the heat, but because of a GI issue and resulting side stitch that made the last 2 miles pretty miserable. Just once, I would like to have a good run.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#7 of 191 Old 08-02-2012, 03:46 PM

subbing

#8 of 191 Old 08-02-2012, 05:08 PM

subbing in.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#9 of 191 Old 08-02-2012, 06:15 PM

subitty sub sub

#10 of 191 Old 08-02-2012, 06:51 PM
bec

Well, if swimming wildly after a beach ball that was slowly floating to the out of bounds area at the lake counts as a swim, then, yes.  I got a swim.  eyesroll.gif  All, probably 50 yards of it.  I got the ball, though!  I signed up myself, husband and daughter up for the Hog Jog 5k on Saturday.  It is a hilly course, so I don't expect much.  But, it will be 3.1 that I hadn't run!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#11 of 191 Old 08-02-2012, 07:28 PM

Tjsmama, I predict a good run in the not too distant future. Maybe for your LR on Sunday? Fingers crossed for cool weather and happy stomach.

bec, enjoy the family run.

Hi to all the subbers!!

The bite is a bit better. It's hard to tell since I got sunburned today, but less swollen if not less red.
We had painters in the house all day to do the ceiling where the water leaked through downstairs. Because it's an open concept hall/dining/kitchen/living room they painted the whole thing.

We had an awesome day out of the house: cafe for tea, canoe trip to the end of a spit, picnic lunch and swimming in the ocean, French fries in a plaza downtown, library and used bookstore, then a hike in to our favourite falls and swimming hole on the river for more swimming and huckleberry picking. Home for a BBQ dinner, short bike ride around the block and now the kids are off to bed.

In other good news, the colleague who got the unit clerk teaching how that I interviewed for has dropped one course in the fall and another in the spring. If I'm right about seniority I should get these. Some regular work would be great for my stress about finances.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#12 of 191 Old 08-03-2012, 01:02 AM

MelW, that sounds very hopeful. Sending positive thoughts your way. 

I am just trying not to go negative on myself for not getting the exercise I've been meaning to get. I failed to fall asleep tonight. I'll take care of feeding ds his early meal and then try for a couple of hours. Have a few calls to make tomorrow, so I hope not to miss the whole day. Have been working on venue and food arrangements, and trying not to faint.gif about costs, because it is in my nature not to wish to spend. I need to be able to loosen up and enjoy the celebration. Need to tweak the menu a little and should be OK.

Paid the kids' tuition for the school year, so that's officially a go. Will be selecting courses next week.

In other news, saw the obgyn and am getting the treatment for PMDD. Don't know if it's the general increase in various stressors, age, or what, but something's got to give. So I get BCPs and a nibble of mother's little helper as needed to get me through until I can calm this crazy beast. For too long I have been feeling like hell from the moment I O until CD1 when I feel like a superhero for about two days, and then it's a quick slide (shortening cycle) back to blech. So as much as I don't like swallowing BCPs, I think this is what must be for now.

Changed my mind on the dress.

#13 of 191 Old 08-03-2012, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

1jooj - wow! That dress is perfect for you. Beautiful choice!

Nic - hope your stomach settles and feels better soon hug2.gif

MelW - sounds like a great day!

RR - no running. Tons of walking and stair climbing every day though!

NRR - I have been looking after a friend's chickens and cats while she is away this week and I have had a blast. Sounds silly, but hanging out in the hen house has been one of my favourite things all week.

#14 of 191 Old 08-03-2012, 04:47 AM

hello to everyone. I haven't run, except for about 10 miles at the beach the first week of July. I have been swimming a lot (its been hot by northern Minnesota standards -- hot enough to jump off the rocks into Lake Superior). And I've been biking off and on.

My kids are doing a tri tomorrow and my dh is doing one Sunday.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#15 of 191 Old 08-03-2012, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Gaye: Cavities!? That is the pits! No fun! That seems strange, too, if you always had good teeth and to now have cavities happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post

NRR - I have been looking after a friend's chickens and cats while she is away this week and I have had a blast. Sounds silly, but hanging out in the hen house has been one of my favourite things all week.

Not silly at all! I stillheart.gif chickens and their simple, satisfied, busy little selves.

Mel: Thank goodness that bite is healing up. Don't some abx make you more sun sensitive, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post

We had an awesome day out of the house: cafe for tea, canoe trip to the end of a spit, picnic lunch and swimming in the ocean, French fries in a plaza downtown, library and used bookstore, then a hike in to our favourite falls and swimming hole on the river for more swimming and huckleberry picking. Home for a BBQ dinner, short bike ride around the block and now the kids are off to bed.

This sounds like the most perfect day ever, ever, ever.

Bec: Yes, that definitely counts. And so does watching swimming in the Olympics, at least that's what I'm telling myself.

Jo: Classic, gorgeous dress. I love it. And I hope that the BCPs help out! I'm a believer in those for reasons other than actual BC. And in my case at least, age is a definite factor in feeling those hormones levels fluctuating. No fun.

Kerc: Have fun being everybody's support team this weekend! Good luck to your kids and dh in their respective tris!

I enjoyed a short run with DD this morning, just 2 miles, but it's nice to run with her, and it was really cool this morning. Nice.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#16 of 191 Old 08-04-2012, 04:36 AM

Subbing from vacation.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#17 of 191 Old 08-04-2012, 01:30 PM

Ack plantar fascitis in my right foot.  I've been holding out on getting the boot, using a scarf to force my foot to stay 90*.  It was feeling better until today's run (about 7 1/2 - 8).

Mens 10,000m final.... so fun to watch.

Mel I love those runs with dd too.

kerc - those are awesome shots of your girls! I really should try to find something like that for my kids, they do it all now.

Shanti you and my dd would have a lot in common, she loves hanging in the chicken house.  The last of my first hens died yesterday.  I'm hoping old age, but fear it could have been dehydration.  There was water in their run, but the door got shut and some were shut inside and others outside.  She may not have had water and I have no way of knowing how long.  It could also have been a combination of older hen (7 or 8 years), plus dehydration. :(

Jo that sounds rough, I hope the measures you are taking help.  I am definitely noticing a lot more hormonal stuff as well as I'm getting older.

#18 of 191 Old 08-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Wow I killed it!

#19 of 191 Old 08-05-2012, 08:19 PM

It has been quiet here!

In my case, it was a 12 hour night shift on Friday, then a 12 hour day today. And a heat wave. Fingers crossed for a morning run tomorrow.

BBM, I hope the plantar fasciitis lets up soon and you get some relief!

#20 of 191 Old 08-06-2012, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

bbm - I have had plantar fascitis off and on over the years too. Now that I know what it is at the first twinge it doesn't last very long. Changing which shoes i wear regularly helps and knowing what exercises to do helps a lot too.

I have no desire to even go for a walk these days let alone run. Yesterday I was on my feel for 8 hours at work, walking as fast as possible and up and down the stairs dozens of times. The slowest I got to move all day was mopping floors. I just keep telling myself I am getting paid to work out. I only have a few weeks left so I am making the most of the income while it lasts. I am nervous about what it will mean when the paycheque stops coming but relieved that I won't be pushing myself this hard and can actually spend some time with my family when I am not exhausted again. I am pretty sure I will be back to online courses in the fall, just still working on the details and the plan. I have a little window of opportunity and I want to do as much as possible before it slams shut again.

#21 of 191 Old 08-06-2012, 04:26 PM

Hi all--sorry it's been quiet, but really grateful this thread wasn't 8 pages long. whistling.gif

Sending goodvibes.gif to all. I started writing out the list and realized it was pretty much everyone. Maybe it's an August thing? Or an aging thing? Or a climate change thing? All of the above?

tjsmama--sorry your XH is being a jerk about childcare. That's ridiculous on his part. Also sorry about the cavities. I'm dreading going to the dentist, which undoubtedly is why I haven't made an appointment in a year. bag.gif (Not cavities, but apparently I clench my jaw often enough that I have fractured molars and don't want to hear that another one will need a cap....)

1jooj--beautiful dress.

RR: short ride today to get R registered for school. Last week's activities included an 11.5M run (supposed to be 12, but I was slow and tired) and a 7 mile hike with 1500 elevation gain (main reason the 12M became the 12M that wasn't). It also included hot springs (yay!) and swimming (who knew I still could?). It was nice to see that my swimming endurance was decent after not having swum in a year.

NRR: this will be an insane week, so I apologize in advance for either posting every single day as a form of procrastination or for not posting at all....

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#22 of 191 Old 08-07-2012, 01:24 AM

Nothing like a little 2 am posting from work... whistling.gif

My Sunday long run was indeed ugly. In retrospect, it wasn't quite as ugly as I thought it was at the time, but pretty close. I was chugging along, not feeling great, but doing ok, until mile 8, at which point I had a complete and total mental breakdown. 3 miles of wogging later, I rallied to run the entire last mile. Which, you know, just confirms the fact that it was a mental breakdown. Yes, I was in physical pain, but I've run through far worse before. I think I may have come to the conclusion that I shouldn't be doing an intermediate training program, given my state of mind and physical ability at the moment. Maybe I should be dropping down to a beginner program. Sigh. We'll see. If I can get any kind of long run in while I'm in Ohio this week, it will be a very good thing and maybe there will be hope for an intermediate program.

Meanwhile, I'm on my fifth out of the last six nights, with one more to go tomorrow night, and I'm tired. I'm first in line to get release tomorrow night if we're not busy, and I'm praying for it. My flight to Ohio is at 11 am on Wednesday, so if I have to work, I will have time to go home, shower, throw a couple things in my suitcase, and head for the airport. And it's only a 2 1/2 hr flight, so it's not like I'll be able to get a ton of sleep on the plane. Besides which, I'm just tired. I would really love to just be able to sleep tomorrow night.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#23 of 191 Old 08-07-2012, 07:09 AM

Gaye, fingers crossed for release before your flight. I wonder if you could find a partner for your long runs (tricky with your work/kid schedule, I bet). The cheering and accountability might make a big difference for the mental part. I know that my post-night's motivation is almost nil. I have been known to sit down in the middle of a planned run, convinced that I'm too tired to go on.

Shanti, what course(s) will you take in the fall? Hang in there!!

Real, good luck with your busy week! Hooray for swimming!

RR- Yesterday was a 5k trail run and a river swim. Today planning strength training but need to put in some time at the office. I worked from home all week last week and have paperwork to catch up on!

#24 of 191 Old 08-07-2012, 10:02 AM

Hi Mamas!

It's good to get back online and I'm with Real, glad there weren't the usual # of pages or I'd never catch up. 

We had a mostly good trip out to Yellowstone (it's really far!) and we found that our kids are amazing campers and car riders and generally fun and great kids.  Not that we didn't know that but it was just totally reinforced.  Bad part wa they were still largely sick the entire time.  Ali G was most resilient and most sick but both spent a crazy amount of time puking into cups/ice buckets/water bottles etc. and we had some very long nights managing it all in the tent.

Despite the health issues we saw more of the park than I'd ever seen in a single visit before including nearly every animal on the list and the girls and I all earned our Junior Ranger badges. 

Now that we're home we're prepping to start something like a WHole30, wondering if any of you have had your kids do it too?  I think that the no-sugar thing will help us all and probabl;y mostly the kids with their recovery from Pertussis.  However, I'm not really ready to commit to the actual whole 30 days starting today since I can see that with travel to my mom's still n the horizon, sticking to that will be more than I can willingly do so I'm thinking that Atkins Induction is enough in my bag of tricks already that I can handle that on auto-pilot and then start the real Whole 30 on Sept. 1.  Any thoughts?

Sorry for no personals, it's time to start the many loads of laundry to eradicate all the puke that we brought home. redface.gif

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#25 of 191 Old 08-07-2012, 04:17 PM

Welcome back, Plady! Your attitude is amazing- having a good trick despite the puking!

I don't have any thoughts on the Atkins/Whole 30 decision, but am going rather low carb here for a while since I have developed a yeast infection post-antibiotics for the bug bite cellulitis thing. This afternoon I'm working from home so I can wear a skirt and no underwear and "air out". hide.gifThe heat and sweat are not helping. I'm hoping that extra probiotics and no grains or sugar (I can't say no to fruit in August, just can't) will do the trick.

#26 of 191 Old 08-07-2012, 05:26 PM

I'm back too (19 hours in the car over the past day and a half), and thankful for being able to catch up easily.

The trip was glorious, and I'm feeling a little after-trip-blues. But listen to this: I ran ~7 miles, with some serious climbs, I rode 25 miles, with even more climbs (like, almost 10 miles of class 2, and this was my first ride of the year, and, like, 10th annual workout total lol.gif , so I had to relearn how to shift gears, so inevitably I would forget how to shift just as I hit the bottom of a hill, and would shift into a much harder gear - DOH! crap.gif ... but it was a kick-a** work-out), and lastly, I walked about 7. Oh, and we back-packed with the kids for 3 days, a;though the "hikes" were only 3-4 miles long each day... More exercise in a week than Ive done since March. I'm optimistic that this is the turn-around Ive been looking forward to, especially as the kids start school Monday broc1.gif

Jo - It would be VERY hard to do consistent exercise with that sleep/eat schedule. It will come around. I'm sorry about that lousy feeling that comes from the lapses. The dress is beautiful, and thank you for what I found in the mail on my return; I will look into it. Finally, I will be very interested to hear how the BCP's work - I dont want to go that route (btdt, didnt like it), but I too am getting to the end of my rope.

Plady - Happy Homecoming, and congrats on the job. Need I say that you must thoroughly clean your house before we arrive lol.gifbag.gif

JG - Happy Homecoming to you too!

MelW - Ack on the infection (both, but I meant the "privates" one especially).

I wish I could describe how wonderful these two weeks have been, all the illuminating conversations and interesting people and needed perspective, but it was luxlove.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#27 of 191 Old 08-07-2012, 08:56 PM

Sparkle - Yeah!  I hear you, I'm hoping that we will all be totally healthy and the house in good shape.  Ali and I will be in Cali until Monday that week and C will be gone the week before too so hopefully dh can resist the urge to trash the place in our absence and all will be well.  orngtongue.gif  (Kidding, he's the neatest one of us). So glad your trip was rejuvenating!  Ours was more of quarantine abroad and thinking back it did feel empty of interaction beyond the four of us but that has its place too right?

MelW - Missed the bog bite drama but anything that requires abx sucks in my book.  Hope you're well on your way to health and the weather seems to be cooling here.

Mel38 - Here's hoping you get a breather!  Sounds like an unsummer.

Gaye - And goodvibes.gif for rest and rejuvenation for you too!

Jo - Whoa lady!  Read your poem and it is just so fully in my mind, it's going to be there for a long time I can tell.  Haunting.  You have The Way with words.

No sugar day 1 in the bag.  Kids so far have been pretty calm cool and collected about it.  And, Mel38, I was just yesterday telling dh that I'm thinking about painting Keep Calm and Carry On on our living room wall and so I really chuckled when I saw the August thread. thumb.gif

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#28 of 191 Old 08-07-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

Jo - Whoa lady!  Read your poem and it is just so fully in my mind, it's going to be there for a long time I can tell.  Haunting.  You have The Way with words.

where can this be found? loveeyes.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#29 of 191 Old 08-08-2012, 06:11 AM

Real ~ you're so right!  It's a good think this thread isn't 20 pages long! Hope your insane week hasn't been too insane.

Jo ~ yes, where can we read your poem???

Plady ~ welcome home!  I'm sorry your vacation wasn't all it might have been although it sounds like your family really made the best of it.  As for Whole30 with kids, I have not done it, but I'd really like to.  I think my children would benefit from less sugar and grains than they are currently eating.  Dinner is always Whole30 compliant, but breakfast, lunch and snacks are another story altogether. 

sparkle ~ welcome home to you too!!!  So glad you had such a wonderful, active vacation.  It's hard to come home, isn't it?

tjsmama ~ I don't know how you do it.  Seriously.  I think I'd have collapsed from exhaustion months ago!

MelW ~ healing vibes for your infected bite and the yeastie beastie.

RR ~ Did Week 5, Day 2 of C25K on Monday and took a long walk last night.  Today I'm headed out for Day 3, the dreaded 20 minute run with no walk breaks orngbiggrin.gif.

NRR ~ Vacation in Tennessee was so much fun!  Like sparkle, I've got a bit of the coming-home blues myself.  Somehow being in the hot, dry, parched flatlands of Illinois just doesn't compare to the verdant mountains of the Great Smokies.  Go figure....  We did some hiking, went horseback riding and whitewater rafting, swam in the river a ton, and did a bunch of super-touristy stuff that I normally avoid (GoKarts, Dixie Stampede, Putt Putt).  My kids LOVE those things though, and the Dixie Stampede was pretty cool.  Now it's back to real life though, and school starts one week from today.  Eeek! 

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#30 of 191 Old 08-08-2012, 06:41 AM

Hi mamas!

I've been rather AWOL myself lately from here...not for lack of thinking about you all, though. Welcome back from vacation Sparkle, JayGee, Plady. You all seem to have very cool 'active' family vacations. I wish I was in your families!

Jo, your poetry is gorgeous (as are you, inside and not incidentally outside too). I also wish I could come and spend some serious quality time with you and your kids hanging on the farm, walking and running, and just talking and 'being.' Wouldn't that be amazing?

I am with the kids this week at my folks' in NJ. We have been going to the park, going to the lake, etc. every day. But no real hiking or fun stuff like that. It's seriously gross and humid out which is part of it. Lack of funds another part, and reluctant kids...sigh. They love my parents' house because there are so many TVs and they can veg out endlessly. eyesroll.gif

As for me...I am feeling somewhat unmoored spiritually lately and that is not great timing because I'm about to start teaching in a RELIGIOUS high school. I am hoping the teaching will anchor me again and what has happened before will again...that in talking about it and explaining it to the kids, it clarifies things in my own head. Two out of the four topics I'm teaching (3 out of 5 class periods) are 'religious' subjects so I will get that opportunity...

In the meantime I am also trying to eliminate SHOULD from my vocabulary and attempt to live in the moment, enjoy the present. I was looking at photos of my kids from years past last night and so sad because I have been so anxious and worried for so long -- most of their lives really -- I feel I have missed so much being there with them even though I have always been 'with' them. Does that make sense? It makes me sad. I feel I have failed them in a major way. greensad.gif And what is unfortunate is that the worry and anxiety are not gone. I still struggle with it all the time and it makes me cranky and want to be alone, and that is what drives my isolation from them.

As for running...that's going pretty well. My half marathon is in a week and a half, so I'm starting to think about a taper. I have a few twinges here and there, and trying to hold those off and hope for a good race this time. I have that time goal but I also know that a high summer northeastern half marathon might not give me the conditions to meet it...if not, there's always another race. I've come very far with my running and it seemed for a while like every race had to be a PR but the truth is if I want to keep running for a long time (and I do) I have to develop some patience and compassion for myself also.

That does not come easy for me.

Also please think 'stay put baby!' vibes for Zub...she's on bedrest (31 wks).

Anyway. Happy Wednesday, Dingo mamas. I heartbeat.gif you.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page