I need tips for running while PG! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-27-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have run 5 half marathons and 2 marathons and I'm in the middle of training for half #6 and I'm 5 weeks PG.  I'll be 16 weeks at the time of the race, but I've never trained for a race while PG before.  Any tips from those of you who have BTDT are appreciated!  I am on a masters swim team where I'll do a lot of cross training. 

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-27-2012, 07:19 PM

I have been wondering about running while prego, too! I also run half marathons (GO GIRL!!!) so I'm seeking the same advice. Anyone have any life experience about running happily and healthily during or through pregnancy?

Doula bellycast.gif and freelance writer notes.gif,  married to the best man I know joy.gif

Stepmother to DSS guitar.gif (9)

6-24-13 angel1.gif

8-9-12 pos.gif and planning on homebirth.jpg

#3 of 5 Old 08-29-2012, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any advice for us?  I've definitely noticed that I can't keep up with my normal pace (far from it! ... nearly 2 minutes/mile slower!), I need more walking breaks, water breaks, and I stopped running hills (I LOVE running hills, it's almost a necessity in my neighborhood, but it exhausts me too much now).  Is that most of what I need to do?  Slow down, take breaks as needed?  Anyone found a belly band helpful? 

IntownDoula, I see you're in Atlanta, I'm in Chattanooga! 

#4 of 5 Old 09-03-2012, 06:17 PM

Yay, we're close! :-)

I am in Atlanta, and I had someone recently tell me that the smog levels here (I live in the city proper) are a bad idea to expose pregnant lungs to as often as I run now (I run half marathons so think that kind of training schedule) Have you ever heard anything like that? I understand completely the thought behind it, but I had never really paid much attention to the poor air quality as I have no respiratory issues whatsoever. 

I also asked a group of other doulas what they thought about running, and they explained that the clumsiness and center of gravity shift that occur during pregnancy make it a bit more dangerous. If you're like me, you're thinking, "Dude, running's not dangerous, it's one of my favorite things it's HEALTHY!" but they do make good points. Because of that, they advised, walking really is the best thing to ensure enough oxygen. However, at only 16 weeks, neither of these things (clumsiness and center of gravity change) should affect you enough to throw your race. 

I'm honestly not sure what I will choose when I am blessed with a BFP, but I do know that it's really great that you're being so aware of yourself, your baby and your health, and that I am really inspired by your 2 full 26.2's! In several months if you find a good jogging stroller, I hope you'll let me know how it is! smile.gif

Doula bellycast.gif and freelance writer notes.gif,  married to the best man I know joy.gif

Stepmother to DSS guitar.gif (9)

6-24-13 angel1.gif

8-9-12 pos.gif and planning on homebirth.jpg

#5 of 5 Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

I've not heard about the smog and running while pregnant.  Most of my runs are outside of the downtown area of Chattanooga, but only by a couple miles, so I assume the air quality is similar to the city proper (but probably not as congested as Atlanta).  I'm fairly injury prone, and I've found I do better with running no more than 3 times per week and no more than 20 miles per week, and doing a lot of cross training, so even when I am at peak running fitness, I'm not running a lot compared to a lot of others who train for 13.1 (this schedule, at least when not pregnant, has helped me to stay injury free and improve my time by quite a lot). 

I don't think I'd sign up for a half after finding out I'm PG, but since I got PG while training, I'm going to do what my body allows me to do.  So far, that's slow miles with lots of walking breaks, extra water, and more food during runs and lots of extra salt after long runs.  So far I've noticed that running improves my mood, helps with my morning sickness, and even gives me more energy (surprisingly!).  This past weekend I had a 7 mile long run that I dragged myself out of bed for, kind of dreading the run, but I came back feeling more energetic, my morning sickness was better the whole day, and I didn't need a nap (lately I've needed a nap most days)! 

As for doing a marathon (when not PG, I don't think I could attempt it while PG!) it was really fun to do them, but not easy with young kids.  If I do any more in my future it will be after kids are older. 

I won't have any jogging strollers to recommend.  I'm a selfish runner and it's my time away from kids!  I give myself the first 6 months or so after the baby arrives to let myself relax and not worry about weight and only do minor workouts, but after that the baby is old enough to leave for brief runs, swims, or other workouts and that time is completely my own (my DH insists on it some days when he sees I'm overstressed and need a break!).

Good luck with getting a BFP when you start TTC, and with your decision to run or not when the time comes. 

Tags
Fitness

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page