Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Fitness and Weight Management (http://www.mothering.com/forum/264-fitness-weight-management/)
-   -   8 Week Healthy Weight Loss Challenge 5.0 (enrolling thru 10/10, starts 10/8) (http://www.mothering.com/forum/264-fitness-weight-management/1364292-8-week-healthy-weight-loss-challenge-5-0-enrolling-thru-10-10-starts-10-8-a.html)

Dmitrizmom 09-25-2012 08:09 PM

Words of wisdom from Milk8shake (with minor modifiactions):

"The first thru fourth eight week challenges were a great success, and many of us are up for another eight weeks - we're opening it up for any newbies who would like to join the next round of the challenge. Please read below.

Background:

The thought came to my head because I joined the "losing weight in 2012" thread, but I didn't have much motivation, and I had no-one to be accountable to. I was thinking about the Biggest Loser, and how teams can be such a motivation. So, I thought I would throw this out there for anyone who needs to get some weight loss happening, but just can't seem to get off the couch.

The challenge:

Commit to an eight week weight loss challenge. You'll be assigned to a team, and your weight loss percentage will be measured on an individual and a team basis. The team with the highest loss percentage at the end of the eight weeks will be the winner. This is a TEAM effort. If you lose, your team wins! Your weekly progress will be updated on the leader board for all to see.

The requirements/rules:

1. You have to be willing to commit to the full eight weeks beginning 8 October 2012
  2. You have to be willing to commit to exercising a minimum of 4 x 30 minute sessions per week - the type of exercise is up to you!
  3. You have to be willing to check in and update your progress and weight at least weekly on Mondays.
  4. You have to be willing to share your weight and your height. (By PM if you are shy)
  5. You may not join if losing 1 lb / .5 kg per week will put you in an underweight category according to your BMI (check here) at the end of eight weeks.
  6. If you miss more than 2 weigh-ins, we will continue to track, but your loss will NOT contribute to your team's totals.

The prize:

A thinner waistline, a slimmer derriere, and the opportunity to bask in the glory of the winning team."

The challenge will not start until 8 October 2012.

I will not be participating this time round, but will maintain the chart.

incorrigible 09-25-2012 08:40 PM

4.0 has been great for me. I'm totally in!!!

(btw, rule #1 has an old date) =D

Dmitrizmom 09-25-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post

(btw, rule #1 has an old date) =D

d'oh, fixed,

lilacvioletiris 09-26-2012 04:10 AM

I am in as well.  Weight lost or maintained is weight not gained for me!  Ready for another adventure.  This one will get us through American Thanksgiving and sometimes over the holidays it is just great to not gain any weight and focus on exercise.

IsaFrench 09-26-2012 07:03 AM

please count me in too, am going to try doing better this time round.

nobodymove 09-26-2012 07:05 AM

I definitely want to be in too. I haven't been able to move the scale for a very long time and was finally able to lose some on the 4.0. I'm loving itjoy.gifSeeing a slimmer trimmer me is so encouraging.~Not that I'm skinny by a long shot~which isn't my goal anyway. I feel so much better. Being accountable to exercise is what I needed. Thanks all.

Amandamarie 09-26-2012 09:37 AM

I'm in again! 

MarieP 09-26-2012 11:58 AM

I'm in! I have 10 more pounds to lose.

C is for Cookie 09-26-2012 09:12 PM

Count me in! I actually lost a little bit of weight but... gained a couple pounds over the past two weeks because I have been slacking. *tsk tsk* I need something like this. lol. 

BarefootMama99 09-26-2012 09:23 PM

Subbing!  I am not sure if I am doing this challenge or not - I think I need to . .  . 

tropicana 09-26-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaFrench View Post

please count me in too, am going to try doing better this time round.

me too. trying to do better...

diana_of_the_dunes 09-27-2012 06:28 AM

I'm in again, too.  I lost 9 lbs last round, but I still have 20 more to go...  Although I'd be happy even if I didn't lose anything and just gained some muscle back.  irked.gif

Valid28 09-27-2012 03:46 PM

Count me in I still have weight to lose. 

marymom 09-28-2012 01:14 PM

Im in- but not so savvy with the -new to me-mothering boards (I am a dinosaur...) so a bit unsure of how to submit data also if I get a friend to join can she be on my team?!

Dmitrizmom 09-28-2012 01:22 PM

marymom - just post data to the tread and I will put the info together.  and, if you let me know who you friend is, I can make the teams work. smile.gif

katmtb 09-29-2012 06:02 PM

Hi! I would love to join up! Have been slacking since DS2 was born in April and could definitely use some motivation!

Dmitrizmom 09-29-2012 07:54 PM

Woohoo!  Looks like this is shaping up to be a good challenge.  :)  I may end up taking part since I've had a bounce this week that I am NOT happy about. GRRRR.

Contented73 09-30-2012 11:53 AM

I'd really like to do this, although I have a few questions.  Maybe I've missed a conversation - but is there a particular method/diet that would be used?  Also, who is coordinating this and how would we communicate with our group?  How will we encourage each other?  About how many people per group?

Thanks for helping me with these questions.  Sounds like something I'd like to try, and I definitely have the weight to lose!

Dmitrizmom 09-30-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contented73 View Post

I'd really like to do this, although I have a few questions.  Maybe I've missed a conversation - but is there a particular method/diet that would be used?  Also, who is coordinating this and how would we communicate with our group?  How will we encourage each other?  About how many people per group?

Thanks for helping me with these questions.  Sounds like something I'd like to try, and I definitely have the weight to lose!

You can use whatever diet works for you. some of us are doing weight watchers, some paleo, some gluten free, some vegan, etc.  Some have set limitations on when they'll eat (like not eating after 7pm or before 6am).  Some are just watching portions and some are increasing their water intake...

I will be assigning teams once enrollment in the challenge is closed - I try really hard to have the numbers and weight distribution even between the two teams, number per team depends on how many join in. We post to the thread for support, encouragement, and accountability.  I know last challenge there was a spin off thread for the diet side of things...  While we do have teams, it is more of a friendly competition than a serious one. 

One of the best parts, for me any way, is to see what and how other people are doing it.  When I get stuck in a rut, having a list of ideas that others have tried is great to get out of the rut.  Sometimes it is just nice to be able to say "this sucks. I need a hug." And to get that virtual hug.

Hope you decide to join us!  thumb.gif

bilbi 09-30-2012 10:42 PM

I'm in. It's my first challenge so please be patient with mehammer.gif

Dmitrizmom 09-30-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbi View Post

I'm in. It's my first challenge so please be patient with mehammer.gif

hug2.gif Support and  love.gif loving encouragement are the name of the game.  Glad to have you join us.thumb.gif

briannas auntie 10-01-2012 02:05 AM

I need to lose weight, so I am definetly in.  I have had trouble losing weight, but inches come off.  Its like the scale says the same number all the time, despite the numbers on the tape measure going down.  I want both to go down, so I could use the encouragement. grouphug.gif

Smilesarefree 10-01-2012 11:00 AM

Been meaning to try this for awhile but kept missing the deadlines everytime!!!  So count me in too!

crazy cat lady 10-02-2012 02:42 AM

hi I'm new just signed up today. i did WW the other year and lost 5 stone in 10 months, then over the past year iv put 3 1/2 back on, and struggled so much to get back into it, ww was encouraging me to consume food and drinks with sweeteners and other chemicals that were making me very ill. so will never go back, I'm planning a low carb/low fat diet, but a support team is always a bonus. i would like to join this team.

crazy cat lady 10-02-2012 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy cat lady View Post

hi I'm new just signed up today. i did WW the other year and lost 5 stone in 10 months, then over the past year iv put 3 1/2 back on, and struggled so much to get back into it, ww was encouraging me to consume food and drinks with sweeteners and other chemicals that were making me very ill. so will never go back, I'm planning a low carb/low fat diet, but a support team is always a bonus. i would like to join this team.

i was also wondering, when it starts how does it work. do we just post our progress to this thread or is there another way

lilacvioletiris 10-02-2012 04:44 AM

crazy cat lady, once a week, on monday, we post our weight. Then dmitrzimom will put it on a chart to see how much we lost compared to others.  It is pretty easy.  We post in the intervening time with how our exercise is going and any other diet related issues.  It is a great group!

MamaLeslie 10-02-2012 07:19 AM

I think I'm going to join. I need some support in this area, having gained about 15 lbs in the past year or so. Ready to get the scale moving the other way, but I need people to check in with. I'm no good at sticking to it just for me.

maciascl 10-02-2012 09:41 PM

I have been horrible about exercise for a long time. I have fibromialgia/chronic fatigue so exercise can be tough, but I want to try. If nothing else I will do stretching/yoga for 30 min 4x a week and watch what I eat. I just need some accountability so that I keep trying. I am in!

JoyFilled 10-02-2012 09:48 PM

Can I join please?

lafemmedesfemmes 10-02-2012 09:54 PM

sounds awesome. i'm in!

christina