1000 Minutes in October!!!!!!!!!!!! The Accountability thread!!! Come on in and post - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 10-01-2012, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
lab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 'bout to get serious ya'll!

I didn't even go back and finish posting my workouts for September it was so bad.   I figure you get burned out after a while.  Apparently that's where I was.

Everybody come on back!  I'll start...

My goal is 1500 minutes of mostly cardio (running).   I hope to get in a couple of weight workouts each week.

10/1 - 25 minute cardio sculpt

25/1500

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds17
#2 of 28 Old 10-02-2012, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
lab

10/2 - 45 minute easy trail run

70/1500

ds20, dd18, ds17
#3 of 28 Old 10-04-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
lab

10/3 - 40 minute easy trail run

10/4 - 30 minutes weights

140/1500

ds20, dd18, ds17
#4 of 28 Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 AM

Okay!!! Hi!!! I know I've been gone a long time, but I PROMISE I have been keeping up with my workouts! I even started running, Lab. :) Four times a week.

In July, my 4 yo had a near drowning accident. It was very scary, as I am sure you can imagine. I've just had a hard time keeping up with things that are not such a big deal since then.

SO! Here is my October so far:

10/1 - 54 min banish fat boost metabolism

10/2 - 54 min no more trouble zones

35 min running

10/3 - 50 min extreme shed and shred

10/4 - 51 min last chance workout

244/1000

Lab, I started running in August. I ran a 5k last Sunday! My first ever, and I did it in 27:01. I finished 43rd overall, 4th in my age group. Is that good? I feel like it isn't so great, but I kinda don't care, because my goal was to run a 5k. :lol  I am going to run another the end of October. If you have any tips for beginning runners, for racing or in general, I'd LOVE to hear them! Thanks. :)

me luxlove.gif+ dh kewl.gif= dd reading.gif , ds mischievous.gif , ds2 biggrinbounce.gif, dd2 baby.gif

#5 of 28 Old 10-04-2012, 09:27 AM

Oh, you aren't gonna ask my age group are you? shy.gif

lol.gif

me luxlove.gif+ dh kewl.gif= dd reading.gif , ds mischievous.gif , ds2 biggrinbounce.gif, dd2 baby.gif

#6 of 28 Old 10-05-2012, 08:48 AM

10/5 - 54 min calorie knockout

298/1000

#7 of 28 Old 10-06-2012, 07:16 PM

Me me me me me me me me I'm in I'm in I'm in I'm in!

10/06 - 45 minutes walking

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#8 of 28 Old 10-06-2012, 07:17 PM

damselfly - Yikes!  So glad for that word "near"!  hug2.gif

#9 of 28 Old 10-07-2012, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
lab

damselfly!    YAY!! I am so glad you are back.  I have MISSED you!  

Sorry to hear about your baby.  Sounds like you were pretty shaken.  I wondered what happened.   I bet your family was thrown for a loop.  So glad to hear that things are getting back to normal. 

AND YOU'RE RUNNING!  My hero!    I love love love running.  It makes me a better parent when I run.  As a matter of fact - I have a friend who's husband is terminal and I took all of my feelings about his cancer out on the trail yesterday.  It was nice.   

Your 5K time is very good by the way.  That's a 9 minute mile.  That is very good. And you JUST started training.   So you can get an idea, my daughter is 17 and has been running cross country since she was a 6th grader.  She ran a 5K race yesterday (granted it was a trail run which is slower) and finished it in 26 minutes.   27 minutes is great.   We won't talk about my son who is running in college.  He would put us all to shame!   His PR (personal record) is 15:38.  Crazy huh!!?!?   I'm not too shabby - my pr is 21:40 ....that was a couple of years ago though.  Do you plan to run more 5Ks?   Are you competitive where you will try to run down the person in front of you?   Or are you so proud of your achievement that you are planning to check that box?   Congrats to you!  Have you noticed a change in your body?  I didn't lose weight when I started running but I did lose an entire size in my clothes.   So what is your age bracket?  Are you a baby compared to me?   I'm 42 (ugh - I hated typing that)

I' glad to see you Mrs.Gregory!    I bet you have been busy with that baby!  

Dana popped in last month - I hope to see her again.

10/6 - 55 minute hard trail run

195/1500

ds20, dd18, ds17
#10 of 28 Old 10-07-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
lab

Oh !  I just saw your questions about tips....

Yes - I have tips...and you will do better in October.   

So you should not do too many miles too soon.

And you are planning to run a 5k at race pace then you should train your body to run 5 miles at an average pace.  This way your body will be accustomed to running more miles and the 3.1 won't seem so bad.  What is your weekly mileage?   You should not increase your mileage too quickly.  That leads to plantar's.  Or shin splints.  

I'm not sure if you want to get faster and PR at your next race?   

I am constantly trying to get faster.  I don't know why.  It's probably not healthy to be that competitive but all three of my kids run so that is probably where it comes from.   Anyway - I do interval or speed work outs.   Basically these are just periods where you have a burst of speed.   Your goal is maintain your pace during the burst of speed.  So I do interval workouts on the high school track.  So I will do a 6 minute mile around the 1/4 mile track.  Then I'll slow down, recover and jog.  And then do it again at the same speed.  The goal is do the interval 4 or 5 times and keep the same pace each time.  You are teaching your body to maintain a pace.   This will help you increase your speed and maintain your pace for the entire race.   

So beginning runners should invest in shoes!!!  And never never never increase your intensity or distance too quickly.  That will lead to injury.  This took me a while to learn.  But getting sidelined for 6 months was a wake up call. 

ds20, dd18, ds17
#11 of 28 Old 10-08-2012, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
lab

10/8 - 60 in the gym

255/1500

ds20, dd18, ds17
#12 of 28 Old 10-08-2012, 02:56 PM

10/6 - 35 min running

10/7 - 35 min running

10/8 - 27 min 30 day shred

395/1000

#13 of 28 Old 10-08-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:

AND YOU'RE RUNNING!  My hero!    I love love love running.  It makes me a better parent when I run.  As a matter of fact - I have a friend who's husband is terminal and I took all of my feelings about his cancer out on the trail yesterday.  It was nice.   

Your 5K time is very good by the way.  That's a 9 minute mile.  That is very good. And you JUST started training.   So you can get an idea, my daughter is 17 and has been running cross country since she was a 6th grader.  She ran a 5K race yesterday (granted it was a trail run which is slower) and finished it in 26 minutes.   27 minutes is great.   We won't talk about my son who is running in college.  He would put us all to shame!   His PR (personal record) is 15:38.  Crazy huh!!?!?   I'm not too shabby - my pr is 21:40 ....that was a couple of years ago though.  Do you plan to run more 5Ks?   Are you competitive where you will try to run down the person in front of you?   Or are you so proud of your achievement that you are planning to check that box?   Congrats to you!  Have you noticed a change in your body?  I didn't lose weight when I started running but I did lose an entire size in my clothes.   So what is your age bracket?  Are you a baby compared to me?   I'm 42 (ugh - I hated typing that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab View Post

Oh !  I just saw your questions about tips....

Yes - I have tips...and you will do better in October.   

So you should not do too many miles too soon.

And you are planning to run a 5k at race pace then you should train your body to run 5 miles at an average pace.  This way your body will be accustomed to running more miles and the 3.1 won't seem so bad.  What is your weekly mileage?   You should not increase your mileage too quickly.  That leads to plantar's.  Or shin splints.  

I'm not sure if you want to get faster and PR at your next race?   

I am constantly trying to get faster.  I don't know why.  It's probably not healthy to be that competitive but all three of my kids run so that is probably where it comes from.   Anyway - I do interval or speed work outs.   Basically these are just periods where you have a burst of speed.   Your goal is maintain your pace during the burst of speed.  So I do interval workouts on the high school track.  So I will do a 6 minute mile around the 1/4 mile track.  Then I'll slow down, recover and jog.  And then do it again at the same speed.  The goal is do the interval 4 or 5 times and keep the same pace each time.  You are teaching your body to maintain a pace.   This will help you increase your speed and maintain your pace for the entire race.   

So beginning runners should invest in shoes!!!  And never never never increase your intensity or distance too quickly.  That will lead to injury.  This took me a while to learn.  But getting sidelined for 6 months was a wake up call. 

Ok. That  was my PR, but I would like to get faster. ;)  (I'm 37, btw). My biggest problem, I think, is that I feel like I am running *almost* as fast as I can whenever I run, but that it feels slow too (clear as mud?). I don't really have any idea how to pace myself. So when you talk about a race pace vs. an average pace... I'm lost. I feel stupid saying that. I feel like there is something I'm just not getting. I run with my dh. He doesn't even get out of breath! It is frustrating.  My weekly mileage is about 12-15 miles. We only run about 3.5 each time. Ideally, we would like to go 5. I just feel like how do I do that? I keep waiting for what I do run to feel easy, like my body will tell me I'm ready to go longer. How slowly should I increase my distance? We try to run at the track once a week so that we can work on our speed. I wish I could run with you so you could teach me irl!

I have two pairs of Nikes. My favorites are Pegasus 28 that my mom gave me last Christmas. The other ones are Dual Fusion ST. I use those when it is wet because they feel less slippery, but mainly they are what I wear when I do my usual workouts (indoors only, until I started running in them). I don't know which are better for me. I am slightly pigeon toed and I pronate. If I think of anything else, I will ask you! Thank you so much for your help!! heartbeat.gif

#14 of 28 Old 10-08-2012, 03:23 PM

And you also asked about changes in my body! I have lost 20 pounds since last November. I have not lost anymore since February though. I'm not trying to lose more, 20 was my goal, but I am kind of surprised that I haven't since I added more exercise. But since you mentioned it, I did go ahead and measure my waist and I have lost another half inch since I last measured in late spring!

#15 of 28 Old 10-11-2012, 08:42 AM

10/09 - 85 minutes walking

#16 of 28 Old 10-11-2012, 03:18 PM

10/9 - 27 min last chance workout

33 min running

10/10 - 40 min extreme shed and shred

10/11 - 30 min cardio max

525/1000

#17 of 28 Old 10-15-2012, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
lab

10/8 - 60 in the gym

10/9 - 70 minutes trail run

10/11 - 70 minutes mountain run/jog/hike - mostly exploring new trail

10/12 - 80 minutes mountain run!

10/14 - 67 minute mountain run

542/1500  I'm going to make my goal at this rate....

ds20, dd18, ds17
#18 of 28 Old 10-15-2012, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
lab

Quote:
Originally Posted by damselfly41 View Post

Ok. That  was my PR, but I would like to get faster. ;)  (I'm 37, btw). My biggest problem, I think, is that I feel like I am running *almost* as fast as I can whenever I run, but that it feels slow too (clear as mud?). I don't really have any idea how to pace myself. So when you talk about a race pace vs. an average pace... I'm lost. I feel stupid saying that. I feel like there is something I'm just not getting. I run with my dh. He doesn't even get out of breath! It is frustrating.  My weekly mileage is about 12-15 miles. We only run about 3.5 each time. Ideally, we would like to go 5. I just feel like how do I do that? I keep waiting for what I do run to feel easy, like my body will tell me I'm ready to go longer. How slowly should I increase my distance? We try to run at the track once a week so that we can work on our speed. I wish I could run with you so you could teach me irl!

I have two pairs of Nikes. My favorites are Pegasus 28 that my mom gave me last Christmas. The other ones are Dual Fusion ST. I use those when it is wet because they feel less slippery, but mainly they are what I wear when I do my usual workouts (indoors only, until I started running in them). I don't know which are better for me. I am slightly pigeon toed and I pronate. If I think of anything else, I will ask you! Thank you so much for your help!! heartbeat.gif

Morning!

I'm sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.   I had a nice long post typed out on my tablet and my browser froze!   

I wish we could run together too!   I run alone all the time.  I should join a running group....but I don't.  I need a running buddy.  You'll have to be my virtual running partner!

So a couple of things......race pace is how fast you run during a competition, 5K or whatever.   This is when you are working hard.   Race pace is always faster during an actual race or 5K because of the excitement of the crowd and the adrenaline you have.  Your average pace is how fast you run on a normal day, just when you are out for a jog.   If you are running with your husband and he is not out of breath, then his pace is faster than yours and you should probably not be running with him.  Unless he is going to slow down!   Since you are just a beginner it is very important for you to start off slowly and build.  The worst thing you can do is to increase your mileage or your intensity too quickly.  That is guaranteed injury.   I would suggest that you run at a pace where you can easily carry on a conversation without getting winded.  This should be a daily workout pace.   Easy jog.   You should have weeks of easy jogs with only slight increases your mileage.  You need to get an overall body strength before you start jumping up mileage or intensity.   

When you do start to bump up your mileage there is formula for that!  You take your total miles per week and never increase more than 10%.  So if I am running 20 miles a week, I would not increase my mileage more than 2 miles each run.    So if I average a 5 mile run, 4 times a week.  I would not want to increase that run by more than 7 miles.  Makes sense?  

It sounds like you are really not enjoying your runs a whole lot.  I didn't in the beginning either.  I honestly forced myself to run.  The only reason I did it was because it was so healthy and I enjoyed what running did for my body.   But I didn't like it.    I love it now.  I hear songs on the radio I want to run to.   I wake up in the morning and picture where I want to run for the day.  I love it! My favorite thing to do is to run in every city that I'm in.  So when I go on vacation, I can't wait to find a spot to run.   I've run the streets of Atlanta, Charleston, DC, Jamaica, Cancun.....etc

Anyway - about increase your speed.   If you want to work on getting faster,you can do speed workouts.  Or if just want to learn a good way to pick up your pace a little, say if you are finishing a 5K and you want to kick hard at the end...  

To pick up the pace - swing your arms.  Your body will follow suit.  Google an image of proper running form.  Your arms should be a 90 degrees at the elbow.  And you should not cross your arms in front of your body.  You can also lengthen your stride and pull your knees up higher.  That will make  you go faster.   

Speed workouts help to increase your overall pace so that you run faster during the entire race.   Pace is important because you want to maintain your pace for the entire race.   For example - during the 5K you ran in August, you averaged a 9 minute mile.  You probably started off faster because of the excitement then got too tired and ended the last mile at a slower pace than you started.  My husband always starts off a race at a 7 minute mile.  He can't maintain a 7 minute mile so he flat out dies!  He ends up finishing the race at a 9:30 mile pace.  But he won't slow down at the start.  He's funny!   Anyway - I go to the local high school and use their track to do speed workouts (interval training).   Do one lap around the track at a speed that is faster than your race pace.  You want to do 4 - 6 laps at that same speed every time.  You need to have a recovery in between each lap.  Get water.  Walk around and get your heart rate down.  Then do it again.  I found this information about interval/speed workouts. It sums it up better than I do.

Defined as “repeated bouts of high intensity activity, each followed by a limited rest period”, interval training involves running a short distance repeatedly, at a speed that is always greater than could be sustained continuously for the full session.

In other words you run shorter bursts faster than you would race, with much slower recovery intervals between these fast bursts. This is how it gets the name “intervals”. And by manipulating the length and speed of the recovery interval we create the desired training effect. e.g. short recovery intervals create an oxygen debt, enabling us to tolerate more lactic acid, so we are better prepared for races.

What are the benefits of interval training?

Improves competition performance - interval training simulates the stress of race pace and conditions athletes for competition.

Improves neuromuscular coordination - your nervous system gets used to running at a faster pace.

Less lactic acid accumulation at a given pace - interval training trains the athlete to race faster and accumulate less lactic acid at a given pace.

Thermoregulatory system is not as stressed - body heat does not accumulate as rapidly as during continuous endurance sports.

Runners of all abilities can use it - Joseph and Kimberlie Nitti, in their book Interval Training for Fitness write “Interval training can benefit almost any healthy person, from beginning exercisers to world-class endurance athletes”.

Key Guidelines to Using Intervals Successfully

It’s critical that you recover completely between interval workouts so your energy reserves are replenished and your muscle tissue has time to recover and rebuild.

Adjust your recovery interval distance to get the desired training effect for your racing distance. You should be able to complete your workout feeling like it was a challenge, but attainable.

Interval workouts should not become the focal point of your weekly training program--avoid becoming over competitive with yourself.

I hope that wasn't TMI!  

Keep me posted on your next race.   I'm excited for you!  I would visit a running store for shoes.   If you pronate you should be fitted for a stabilizing shoe that will help compensate for that.   A decent running store will put you on a treadmill and watch you run for about a minute or two.  Then they will measure your gate and determine what shoe fits your body type etc.  Like my husband is big guy and needs a shoe with a lot of support to help his frame when he hits.  He is also doing a lot of trail running so his shoe needs to be a stabilizer.   My son is small framed and doesn't need that level of support for his petite frame.   He needs a lighter shoe.  Make sense?  

Good luck!

ds20, dd18, ds17
#19 of 28 Old 10-17-2012, 11:02 AM

Lab! I love you! Thanks for all the fantastic info! It is SO incredibly helpful!! I am printing out everything and putting it into practice.

10/12 - 48 min kettlebell

10/13 - 27 min run

42 min jog/walk/bleachers with kids (so it was light 'n' easy!)

10/14 - 33 min run

10/15 - 58 min at home challenge

10/16 - 40 min extreme shed and shred

32 min run

10/17 - 50 min sculpt and burn body blast

855/1000

#20 of 28 Old 10-18-2012, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
lab

10/8 - 60 in the gym

10/16 - 25 minutes yoga

10/17 - 65 minute trail run

10/18 - 75 minute long run

707/1500  I'm NOT going to make my goal at this rate....too many days off

ds20, dd18, ds17
#21 of 28 Old 10-19-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
lab

10/8 - 60 in the gym

10/16 - 25 minutes yoga

10/19 - 55 minute walk with friends 

762/1500  I'm NOT going to make my goal at this rate....too many days off

ds20, dd18, ds17
#22 of 28 Old 10-23-2012, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
lab

10/8 - 60 in the gym

10/16 - 25 minutes yoga

10/22 - 65 minute gym workout

10/23 - 90 minute workout - walking with friends then a 40 minute run

917/1500

ds20, dd18, ds17
#23 of 28 Old 10-24-2012, 09:12 AM

disappointed.gif

My October is sucking hard.  The upside of my month, in terms of my health, has been a nasty stomach flu.  So my goals are going to have to be re-evaluated.  But, I did manage to get myself outside for some light yoga and a walk yesterday!

10/23 - 15 minutes yoga; 75 minutes slow walk

#24 of 28 Old 10-29-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
lab

Hang in there Mrs. Gregory!!

10/8 - 60 in the gym

10/16 - 25 minutes yoga

10/25 - 70 minute trail run

10/26 - 30 minute gym

10/29 - 75 minutes in the gym cardio and weights

1092/1500

ds20, dd18, ds17
#25 of 28 Old 10-29-2012, 12:28 PM

10/18 - 60 min walk w/ kids

35 min run

10/19 - 40 min yoga

10/20 - 33 min run

10/21 - 49 min walk w/kids

10/22 - 50 min extreme shed and shred

10/23 - 40 min extreme shed and shred

33 min run

10/24 - 50 min yoga

10/25 - 50 min last chance workout

10/26 - 47 min cardio max weight loss

10/27 - 60 min gardening

56 min banish fat boost metabolism

10/28 - 56 min at home challenge

10/29 - 55 min calorie knockout

#26 of 28 Old 10-29-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

disappointed.gif

My October is sucking hard.  The upside of my month, in terms of my health, has been a nasty stomach flu.  So my goals are going to have to be re-evaluated.  But, I did manage to get myself outside for some light yoga and a walk yesterday!

10/23 - 15 minutes yoga; 75 minutes slow walk

Oh no! Feel better. hug2.gif goodvibes.gif

#27 of 28 Old 10-31-2012, 05:23 PM

Thanks all!

10/29 - 50 minutes walking

I will be back for the November thread!

#28 of 28 Old 11-04-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
lab

10/8 - 60 in the gym

10/16 - 25 minutes yoga

10/25 - 70 minute trail run

10/26 - 30 minute gym

10/29 - 75 minutes in the gym cardio and weights

10/31 - 70 minutes gym and walking

1162/1500

ds20, dd18, ds17

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page