Dingos are tricked into the treat of running in October! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 254 Old 10-08-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
bec

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

On the thank you - Yes, I would be shocked and appalled.  I would probably be rude enough to tell my daughter that she had better have better manners than that when she goes off with friends! 

I am having a wonderful birthday.  My middle made me breakfast (eggs in a bacon cup baked in a muffin tin) and coffee.  I have had an overwhelming amount of facebook birthday messages.  And, I am currently lounging, waiting for the kids to finish the dishes, so we can watch Star Wars together.  I got to talk to my best friend on the phone for a few minutes, and it is a lovely day out!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#62 of 254 Old 10-08-2012, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Happy Birthday bec!!

Today is Thanksgiving and I think we are going to make it through the day. We had a rough start on many fronts and I came sooooo close to just saying forget it, I'm not doing it. Thanksgiving is my favourite holiday so it was huge to get that close to ditching my h and family for the day but something shifted and now two pies are cooling on the counter, the turkey is in the oven and everything else is set to go when its time comes.

#63 of 254 Old 10-08-2012, 12:31 PM

Shanti - grouphug.gif

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#64 of 254 Old 10-08-2012, 01:22 PM

Plady, glad you survived the trip with girls and assorted hurt-shin and other drama.

Happy birthday bec!!!

Shanti, enjoy your thanksgiving dinner. hug2.gif

gaye, we cross posted the other day, but I would also totally pull out of school for one day. The only only loss is his perfect attendance record.

My husband's step-mother was diagnosed this week with a return of her cancer (leukemia) with liver involvement. I'm going to take the kids down to Victoria for the day to see her on Wednesday because I have a feeling that things are moving quickly and want them to see her while she's still well enough. It's a three hour drive each way- wish me luck!

RR- A beautiful hike on yet another beautiful day.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#65 of 254 Old 10-08-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Thanks, Ladies!  It's been a lovely, lazy day!  I didn't even get dressed until after 3:00!

Shanti - I hope the rest of your Thanksgiving is fabulous! hug2.gif

MelW - I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL.  Good luck with the many hours in the car!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#66 of 254 Old 10-08-2012, 07:47 PM

MelW - greensad.gifgoodvibes.gif for the drive and visit

Shanti - I'm so glad things turned around

RR: Weight circuit. Under-slept, under-fed, 10 days of no weights. Yup, that sums it up.

NRR: Have I told y'all that I'm going to see Florence and the Machine on Wednesday night with 3 friends. Dh urged me to buy us all tickets back in August, so I did orngbiggrin.gif He's ok once in awhile lol.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#67 of 254 Old 10-08-2012, 09:21 PM

bec~birthday.gif I'm jealous of your new 910XT! Glad you had an awesome day!

shanti~hug.gif Hope your Thanksgiving ended up being lovely.

melw~So sorry to hear about your MIL. hug.gif

plady~Ugh. I try to drill please and thank you into my kid, but when it comes down to it, I have no idea if he actually does it, because he doesn't (without prompting, anyway) when I'm around. I hope he does it when I'm not around, and I think he might, because everyone tells me how well-behaved he is, but I don't know. Sigh. I don't think I really got a thank you when I took DS's friend to the waterpark this summer, so I feel your pain. greensad.gif

Well, the school issue ended up being a non-issue...when I went back to book the tickets yesterday, miraculously there was a flight available on Sunday! We still have to leave a little earlier than I would like (the 2pm flight was the only one available, rather than the 6ish one I would have preferred), but still...it works!

I'm thinking that I may need to go back to my PCP and get rechecked. I've gotten 8+ hours of sleep the last three nights (shocking for me) plus took a 3 hour nap today, and I'm still exhausted. I couldn't get up yesterday morning to run, and I barely got my run in today (and it pretty much sucked). Yuck. I haven't touched my kindle in weeks. greensad.gif

We did the pumpkin patch yesterday, and it was fun. My sister is in town for the emergency medicine conference (she's a third year resident), so she got to go with us. It's really the only time she's going to get to spend with us! She's signed up for 8 am sessions every day, so she left before I got up this morning and isn't back yet tonight. I work the next three nights, so unless she gets back before I leave for work, we'll be ships passing in the night, I guess. I don't even know how I'm getting her to the airport, since her flight out on Friday is early enough that she should leave before I get home from work...at least we had one day! And we got some awesome pumpkins. smile.gif

rr~Another bust. I just had no mojo. I was struggling already (barely pulling off 12 minute pace, sigh) and then the dog started limping. I checked over his paws but didn't see anything. Ended up walking most of the rest of the way home, and even carried him for nearly half a mile. So I guess I got a little bit of a strength workout, right? rolleyes.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#68 of 254 Old 10-08-2012, 09:33 PM

Gaye - 16 pounds of dog counts for sure.  Could you just be adjusting to your crazy schedule? I would think it would take me a long time, maybe years, to adjust to all the night shifts you've been doing. 

MelW - So sorry about your MIL.  And I meant to send sympathy and indignation for you and your laundry, was it not you that had the bathroom ceiling mishap just a while back?  Not fair!

Good luck in the car.

Bec - I'm glad your day was a sweet one!

Shanti - Hope the turn around continued and you had a good day.

RR: Nothing today.  But I might get to substitute teach my for my boxing teacher.  Not on the days I go but for the other group of women (who we all secretly suspect are just not as committed mischievous.gif - they probably think we should be committed!)  Anyway, I was flattered to be asked.

NRR: Dd is still hobbling around and now of course her good leg is screaming from two days of hopping on it.  The poor thing. 

Time for bed. 

#69 of 254 Old 10-08-2012, 11:39 PM

Plady--ugh on the kick and your DD's response. Mine does that. Some is PTSD from breaking her arm, but egads. She started the same thing again when her sister asked her to move, she refused, and then J stepped on her foot. (Yes, J could go around, but she's 2 and frankly, R could stop being snotty and selfish and just move when her sister politely asked her to.)

Maybe it's in the air? DH was in a horrible mood. He's convinced he broke a rib or otherwise injured himself when he fell off his bike last week, but as per usual, he won't go to the chiro or the dr because he "doesn't have time." Being in pain all day and sighing deeply and repeatedly is apparently preferable.

Shanti-- hug.gif

bec--yay for your new 910XT! Do you love it? I loe mine.

RR: none. Must. run. tomorrow.

NRR: still nothing on the girl. I don't remember if I posted that they found her backpack and water bottle about 6 miles north of her neighborhood. Her backpack was supposedly sitting upright on the lawn a few inches from the sidewalk in someone's lawn. The homeowner said he didn't see it there on Saturday when they went for dinner, but he did notice it when they came home between midnight and 1 am on Sat night. (She disappeared Friday morning.) They've been searching the open space west of there, but haven't found anything yet. Police aren't saying anything, but there's all sorts of possibilities, including that someone is trying to throw them off the scent and is in the other direction, or that someone is brazen enough to leave it in the area and watch (that's creepiest) or that it was tossed in open space or otherwise left in that area, found by a local kid who later realized whose backpack it was and was too freaked out to tell anyone, instead choosing to sneak it outside and leave it where an adult would find it. Police were searching her neighborhood again and FBI was going door to door, again, searching houses, vehicles, trash cans. There is a sex offender who lives just a few doors down. Supposedly police immediately made contact with all the registered offenders in the area, but there was an 8-hour window between when she disappeared and when anyone realized she was missing. greensad.gif

The backpack has been sent for DNA testing. Meanwhile, they seem to be pursing a combination of searching for any sign of her in open space areas and distributing flyers everywhere and asking people to really focus on her facial features in hopes that if she's being hidden in plain sight, someone will recognize her. There were flyers at every register in Costco tonight.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#70 of 254 Old 10-09-2012, 04:13 AM

Bec - happy, happy birthday!!! Sounds like a wonderful day.

Real - that disappearance scares me so much. Three blocks. That is all it took. I like to give my kids a lot of independence, but stories like this always make me second guess myself a little. I am praying for her safe return.

Plady - hope your DD's leg feels better soon. We call that behavior "being an Italian soccer player"!

Tjsmama - I think a visit to the PCP might be a good idea. Lack of sleep, plus erratic schedule, plus training can add up to all kinds of problems. Get checked.

sparkle - have fun at your concert!

MelW - hope the long drive and visit with your MIL go smoothly. I am sorry to hear that her cancer has returned.

Shanti - Happy Thanksgiving and I hope the day turned around after the inauspicious start.

RR - walking today, PT scheduled, ultrasound of hip and SI joint too.

NRR - DS's team won the tournament on Sunday in a nail biter of a game. Tied score at the end of regular time, then overtime and finally penalty kicks. Add in a lot of bad calls by the ref, some Mom from the other team picking a fight with our coach's wife, a parent getting ejected and two yellow cards to players! DS seemed a bit sad that he really didn't play much in the second half, but honestly, he is not the best player on their team. Solid, yes and defiantly improving, but not quite there yet.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#71 of 254 Old 10-09-2012, 07:04 AM

Wow JayGee!  What a game!  lol.gif at the Italian soccer player.  I told dd that if she gets injured on the field she should fall down and do all her screaming and gnashing of teeth out there so that the team has a chance to catch a breather and if there was actually a foul it can be called.  Braving it out until she's off the field doesn't help anyone!  eyesroll.gif

Real - Praying that that little girl turns up.  I can't stop thinking about My Lovely Bones though, one of those books I wish I'd never read.

#72 of 254 Old 10-09-2012, 08:03 AM

JG - Congrats to DS!!! Hope you learn somehting on the ultrasound

Bec - A belated Happy Birthday !!!!

Gaye - where are you in your cycle? My work outs are much harder, and my sleep much heavier, when Im on the progesterone side of things

Real - I heard about the backpack. I think everyone is hugging their kids tighter since this story came out. I sure hope they find her soon!

RR: rest

NRR: lots of errands

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#73 of 254 Old 10-09-2012, 08:31 AM

sparkle, have a great time at Florence and the Machine! I'm jealous....

real, all possibilities seem terrifying right now. I'm praying for some good news for the missing girl, her family and your community.

JayGee, good luck with the ultrasound.

gaye, wasn't your bloodwork all crazy earlier this year (I was thinking thyroid, but now I remember the wildly differing cholesterol #s)? I hope you get some answers to your energy. My post-night runs are usually slow and kind of pathetic. I do better with a running partner because a lot of it is psychological and I can push myself with someone watching, but will slow down to slug pace if I'm on my own. I can't imagine permanent nights and the adjustment it would take.

Plady, how awesome that you were asked to sub as boxing teacher!

RR- Running gear on and ready to go post-preschool drop-off.

NRR- My husband has left for Victoria this morning to do a series of readings/writers festival things there. The kids have school/preschool today and I have a run and a bit of work this morning, then we'll do a day trip down to visit MIL and say goodbye. I'm feeling pretty okay about this, but I've also had the opportunity to say goodbye to her once before in 2004, which was followed by an unexpected and unexplained recovery. Helping the kids to say goodbye is a harder task.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#74 of 254 Old 10-09-2012, 03:24 PM

How do you make an ice-cream cake without either making it right before you eat it (not going to happen, we will be on a birthday outing) or freezing the cake part in the freezer? I cant remember how you did it Plady redface.gif

#75 of 254 Old 10-09-2012, 04:34 PM

No cake part.  I did two layers of ice cream separated by hot fudge sauce and maybe some crushed oreos. 

yummy.gif

#76 of 254 Old 10-09-2012, 06:30 PM

She wants two layers of cake separated by ice cream. Can I put the cake in the freezer? Dhe says yes, that the cake part is supposed to be frozen???

#77 of 254 Old 10-09-2012, 08:01 PM

Yes, I'm sure you can freeze the cake too, I'd wrap the whole thing in plastic once the ice cream layer is set enough so that it doesn't dry out.  Are you going to frost over the cake layer on top?

#78 of 254 Old 10-09-2012, 09:42 PM

I was going to frost which I think would be weird (frozen). I might just have to tell her it's not going to work, she can just have her ice cream on the side like everyone else lol.gif

#79 of 254 Old 10-10-2012, 04:29 AM

I have an idea sparkle. But I'm onmy phone. Later today, I think

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#80 of 254 Old 10-10-2012, 06:52 AM

A whipped cream frosting might be good even if it's frozen a bit, you could let it defrost a little before you serve it.  Really, any typical frosting probably freezes fine since there is such a high fat and sugar content.

RR: So I didn't need to sub for the boxing teacher in the end, but it got me thinking about the possibility of leading a class for girls after school at some point.

NRR: Going to get some more rolfing today.  And maybe a swim if I can get my act together in record time.

#81 of 254 Old 10-10-2012, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Mmmm whipped cream frosting would be awesome.  Or a seven minute frosting...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#82 of 254 Old 10-10-2012, 08:13 AM

ok my all-time favorite cake is this: take 2 cake pans like for a layer cake.  crumble angel food cake in them. Then take vanilla and rainbow sherbert (soften them a bit) -- pack the layers with the cake in it with ice cream. then freeze those layers. You have to work fast and it helps if you have something like an ice cream spade to help pack.

Several hours later you have two frozen layers in the freezer. Have ready: a sink full of warm water + a whipped topping (think consistency of cool whip). Also have the plate you want the cake on + a frosting implement.

Dip the pan from one of the layers in the warm water to loosen it up. Be careful not to let water go over the top. Put it on the plate. frost the top.

Then take the other layer out of the fridge, again dip it and stick it on top.

If they are super melty then refreeze them and then frost.

If not, frost and then return to the freezer.

I bet you could put cookies in the middle of the cake too -- crumbled like the stuff at DQ.

#83 of 254 Old 10-10-2012, 09:27 AM

Well, the one prerequisite that is non-negotiable is that this be a CHOCOLATE cake. I actually always make a whipped cream frosting so that could work (I make a chocolate ganache and then whip it in the Kitchenaide yummy.gif).

#84 of 254 Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 AM

yes, I had a student come in, so I ran out of time.

chocolate cake, chocolate ice cream.

I think magic shell style coating could work too. (essentially coconut oil + chocolate will make a magic shell style coating).

mmmm.

#85 of 254 Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 AM

SHUT UP ABOUT THE CAKES ALREADY!

#86 of 254 Old 10-10-2012, 11:38 AM

Sorry for the outburst.  I also have birthday baking to do for next Monday.  I love Kerc's idea, and the ganache-as-whipped-cream-frosting idea and all of this is making me wonder how I'll get back on the wagon when Tuesday rolls in. lol.gif

#87 of 254 Old 10-10-2012, 11:42 AM

I have 10 ten year olds sleeping over Saturday. There will be chocolate cake and, I suspect, a request for chocolate chip pancakes sunday. I know; disgusting, and yet how will I make it through lol.gif

#88 of 254 Old 10-10-2012, 12:02 PM

I'm baking cupcakes before the 7yr old bday party friday.

#89 of 254 Old 10-10-2012, 12:02 PM

and running today, tomorrow and friday.

#90 of 254 Old 10-10-2012, 12:12 PM

clap.gif Go Kerc run.gif

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page