Dingos are tricked into the treat of running in October! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 254 Old 10-10-2012, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

SHUT UP ABOUT THE CAKES ALREADY!

My sentiments exactly! Y'all are killing' me!

We've got DH's birthday this weekend here too. No clue what he wants, but I am sure it will involve chocolate.
Speaking of pancakes, I have been making primal pancakes every morning now out of one banana, 2 eggs, 2 tbsp. coconut flour, and cinnamon all cooked in some coconut oil. YUM! Even without syrup ir anything.

Go, Kerc, go!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#92 of 254 Old 10-10-2012, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

This reminds me that this is the week of the month that I need to bake a big chocolate cake if my two dd's are to avoid killing each other. I think I might be about 18 hours too late but heavy doses of chocolate seems to be the only thing that keeps the hormone surges under control. 

dizzy.gif

Juvysen likes this.
#93 of 254 Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 PM

I need this imprinted on my eyeballs these days!

#94 of 254 Old 10-10-2012, 05:36 PM

Discombobulated, out of sorts, face broken out, hair starting to frizz, onset of seasonal depression, and hate every item of clothing I own.

Yeah, chocolate would be good right about now, if I had any that is.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#95 of 254 Old 10-10-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Shanti - I really, really... like REALLY needed to see that right now! 

RR: Tri class tonight, so got a bunch of swim drills and a spin in. 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#96 of 254 Old 10-10-2012, 08:07 PM

JayGee - Those sound yummy.  I'll have to track down some coconut flour.  My girls have dutifully been eating scrambled eggs for breakfast every day since August 8.  I bet I could win some points with those primal pancakes. winky.gif

Real - Is no news no good news?  I can't stop thinking about that little girl.

These are the cupcakes I've agreed to make for dd's class.

If they look anything like these I'll post a pic.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#97 of 254 Old 10-10-2012, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Insert expletive here.  So, the tooth fairy forgot about the two pulled teeth that my 11 year old had pulled yesterday. duh.gif  Yes, I am mom of the year.  So, I write up the note from the tooth fairy and go to sneak it into the room, and the kid is laying completely on top of her pillow!  I can't get in there!  She was waking up.  Grrrr!  I really need to get to bed.  It's already late, and I have a 5:30 spin class I want to get to tomorrow!  ARGH!!!!

#98 of 254 Old 10-10-2012, 11:26 PM

bawling.gif They found a body in nearby open space. The police wouldn't confirm that it was hers, but they did hold a joint press conference with Arvada PD at 7:30 tonight. There's no way they would do that if they didn't think it was her. (She disappeared in Westy and a body was found in Arvada, hence the joint press conference.)

I'm sick and sad and horrified.

The police will update at 6:30 am tomorrow; I expect they'll confirm everyone's worst fears.

There was a period today, in the morning, when there was news of sightings in Maine. It seemed far-fetched (that's a long way to drive) but two people reported an identical car with Colorado plates and girl matching her description in two different areas, so.... They cleared the parents at 4 pm, but by then, if various sources are correct, they had already discovered what they expected to be her body.

Unless I miss my guess, the police think the perp is still nearby. Her school spent the day on lockout, supposedly because of law enforcement in the area. That's not how the district works. Lockout is because they have a reasonable concern that someone dangerous might otherwise gain access to the building.

It certainly has me rethinking free range kids. I don't disagree with her numbers or her points or think that everyone should tether their children to themselves, but um, yeah. She disappeared in two minutes. And someone is out there who hurt her, clearly has knowledge of the area and most likely lives very close by.

I need to go to bed. The candle is for the child they found and the family waiting for that child to come home. candle.gif

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#99 of 254 Old 10-10-2012, 11:28 PM

candle.gif

#100 of 254 Old 10-11-2012, 04:21 AM

candle.gif                      bawling.gif

#101 of 254 Old 10-11-2012, 05:14 AM

candle.gif brokenheart.gif

Ugh, this just kills me. I feel for this mother so deeply and have been thinking about her since reading here. Prayers out to your community, real. I know what you mean about the struggle between safety and freedom to experience life. It sucks we should have to choose, and that because of people out there, we could possibly make a choice that leads to something like this. So sorry.

Plady, I make the pancakes with a banana, an egg and a T almond butter. Easier to find than coconut flour. My kids love them. Taste like banana bread.

Little over a week left here. Hope to have some info soon with plane tickets, etc., so I can figure out the logistics of our luggage. A little thing in the big picture.

#102 of 254 Old 10-11-2012, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
bec

Oh, Real.  bawling.gif  That is the worst possible news.  I hope they catch the perpetrator. 

RR: Got a good, hard spin in. 

#103 of 254 Old 10-11-2012, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

candle.gifbawling.gif

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#104 of 254 Old 10-11-2012, 06:52 AM

candle.gif

Real, I thought of you right away when I read the news. I'm so sorry that you have had all this so close to you and your family. grouphug.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#105 of 254 Old 10-11-2012, 07:10 AM

My heart breaks for the family and community. It really does make me second guess myself. I can read about odds of something terrible happening but when I feel a possibility of harm it changes the decision making process.

RR: later today. I am starting to feel consistent again. I am following a plan and I haven't missed a run yet. it feels like good things could happen.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#106 of 254 Old 10-11-2012, 11:02 AM

bawling.gifcandle.gif Oh Real, I cried at your news. It is shocking and so heartbreaking and stunning and devastating. A cloud hangs over us today

RR: bike 60 minutes, run/walk 25 minutes Good pace, felt pretty strong, especially considering....

NRR: I was hung over! Hello my old friend G&T. Went to the Florence and the machine concert last night, and yeah, basically had cocktails (at a rooftop bar/restaurant) for dinner before the show bag.gif Concert was wonderful. Florence is amazing, an angel, gorgeous, surreal, stunning voice!

Bec - not incidentally, I can ASSURE you that I take the prize for the worst mom!! I wrote an email this week to the grandparents and a few close friends basically mock-insulting my kids as a way to underscore how grateful I am for their school, and to explain why I am now hitting up all the email-ees to buy raffle tickets. The email was VERY funny, and everyone loved it, and I sold a TON of raffle tickets. But, and you knew this was coming, DD1 left me a not this morning inside my computer saying she read the email (I dont know where she found it) and that I'm mean! bawling.gif I have a serious talk coming, and some serious making up to do greensad.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#107 of 254 Old 10-11-2012, 11:12 AM

I can't imagine Real. I'm so sad over the loss of this poor girl.

reporting in:

short run yesterday.moderately long walk this morning. workout tonight. yes I am on track to consume cake this weekend!

Everyone else, sorry for the drive by style of post. I need to get some stuff done at work these days.

edited to add: workout tonight. yes. that's four days in a row ladies. four.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#108 of 254 Old 10-11-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
bec

This has been on my mind all day.

Katie came home today with a book of psalms that some Jehovah's Witnesses were passing out right outside of her school.  She walks to and from school alone (about 1/3 of a mile).  They were right outside the school, near the crossing guard (making sure to get all the kids that pass that way).  I was livid.  I don't have a problem with Christianity.  I don't have a problem with my children hearing about it.  I really try to expose my kids to as wide a variety of religions as possible.  But, strangers on the street prosthelytizing to my minor child walking home alone from school is totally unacceptable.  Unfortunately, by the time she told me and I processed it enough to get it, they had moved on, and I wasn't able to find them (yes, I went looking).  Maybe, it is for the best.  I was really angry.  Anyway, I think my emotions were more intense because I was thinking of that little girl in Colorado. 

#109 of 254 Old 10-11-2012, 09:35 PM

real, thinking of your whole community and wishing you healing and peace candle.gif

sparkle, the worst mom wouldn't have the conversation with her daughter about what happened, or do the serious making up. It's a good learning opportunity. It reminds me of my "photographic genius" album on facebook where I posed photos I found that the kids had taken along with faux artistic commentary. It got a lot of laughs from friends when I created it, but also one friend who added several (funny to me) comments which she then deleted and sent me a message telling me she took them down in case my kids one day saw them and were hurt. Ouch. Bad mama moment.

kerc and mommajb, way to rock the consistent workouts. Throw some of your extra mojo my way, okay?

jo, good luck with the logistics and the final weeks of your visit to the US.

NRR- The trip to see my MIL yesterday went smoothly. The car ride down was easy, the kids were wonderful with her and after seeing her I'm very glad we went now- she seems to be getting weaker very quickly, her latest bloodwork results came in while we were there with rapid changes. I helped out with a bit of nurse-y stuff since the home palliative care nurses weren't coming until the next day. I had to stop once on the way home to console my oldest who was suddenly understanding the finality of it all, but the kids were generally wonderful and accepting though having a hard time balancing reality with hope. It makes them both seem so suddenly grown up and hard to remember how little they are.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#110 of 254 Old 10-12-2012, 05:22 AM

Ouch! I fell last night while running and had the wind knocked out of me. It was dark and I tripped over a tree raised bit of sidewalk. From my hip to my knee is cut up and my knee did not feel good coming down the stairs this morning. The real damage is my ribs. It hurts to even breath. I hope this is short lived as this is a busy weekend. I had already ordered new lights but they haven't come yet.

bec, the recent news hits me hard too. I am usually a bit free range, giving my kids freedoms they are comfortable having but Wed I second guessed letting Helen walk past 2-3 houses and cross the street at a light to get to swim and it was all worry about crazy people not her abilities.

I want to post more but I have hit my limit on the phone.

#111 of 254 Old 10-12-2012, 06:24 AM

Ouch Mamajb!

RR: getting ready....

NRR: I talked to DD1 about how the audience for the email were people who know and love her, and would know that the parts I told were only small funny parts (and meant to be funny and not mean) and that they are all so wonderful, etc. Then I also helped her compose an imaginary email to grandma asking for chocolate; something along the lines of "Dear Grandma, Please send chocolate! Its been 10 years of whole wheat birthday cakes, flax seeds, and fish oil. Did you know that fish oil is made from dead fish!? And she makes us eat it EVERY DAY! ...." She thought that was pretty funny, so it worked pretty well.

Dh came home from work this morning saying that he saw a 17 year old having a miscarriage who asked, "when will my cycle come back so I can try again" crap.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#112 of 254 Old 10-12-2012, 11:03 AM

mommajb ~ Ouch!  Hope it's just bruises and you're up and running again quickly.

sparkle ~ sounds like you handled the situation with your DD really well.  Yikes on your DH's patient....

Real ~ the news about the girl in CO has me reeling a bit too.  I tend to be rather "free range", but found myself riding my bike beside DD1 on her way to meet her friend at the corner where they then ride together to school.  I also reviewed the talk about never helping strangers who have "lost their puppy" (she would SO fall for that) or accepting offers of candy for car rides, etc. I hate to scare them, but I also hate for them to be the 1 in a million who are harmed.  Sigh.... Prayers for the family of the dear, sweet girl who was abducted and murdered candle.gif.

MelW ~ so glad your visit with MIL went well, although I'm sorry she seems to be declining so quickly hug2.gif.

RR ~ PT this morning and my glute med was SO. FREAKING. PAINFUL!  I swear, if it's not one thing, it's another.  They did therapeutic ultrasound on it and now it feels a little better.  Knee is okay.  Still no running.

NRR ~ Not much new other than another weekend with 5 soccer games, DH's birthday, and a birthday sleepover for DD1 to attend.

ETA: With a couple of tweaks, I made my paleo pancakes into paleo muffins this morning and YUM!  1/2 a banana, 1/2c. pureed pumpkin, 2 eggs, 2 tbsp coconut flour, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spices, 1 tsp baking powder, and a handful of raisins.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes in muffin cups.  Even my kids liked them. I'm loving the kitchen experimenting these days.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#113 of 254 Old 10-12-2012, 11:34 AM

Dh read about a girl in Wyoming (Cody) who was lured into a truck by a man asking for help looking for his puppy. This happened a week before the girl in CO went missing. Sigh. greensad.gif The girl in WY came home the same day, but they are still looking for the man

#114 of 254 Old 10-12-2012, 12:45 PM

JayGee - Those sound delish!  I made the pancakes as Jo described the other day (well, with a few more eggs thrown in, I wasn't sure if the recipe was perserving size or for both kids) and the kids looked all skeptical and just not into though they ate everything.  So I said, "So I guess these weren't such a hit?  You guys like scrambled eggs better?" and suddenly they were all begging for them every day! lol.gif  I'll try out the pumpkin version too, that sounds so yummy.

Mommajb - Ouch, hope you're healing up fast, you have arnica inside and out?

MelW - I know what you mean about forgetting how little kids are when they act so mature, it's a bittersweet type of pride for them then.

Bec - Yeah, I'd have been tracking them down too, that's totally out of line to preach to unattended children.  Have you called the Kingdom Hall to complain?  I would.

Sparkle - I love the lesson about that fine line through hyperbole, sarcasm, Irony and satire.  Great idea on the email to grandma.

RR: sleeping.gifI wish!  I've been inexplicably unable to fall asleep before midnight the past couple nights and now I feel like I need toothpicks to hole the lids up. 

NRR: Spent the morning helping out in the classrooms.  So nice to see the kids but I'm always amazed at how many balls are in the air at any given time at that school  there are so many lines of kids coming and going through the hallways you risk getting run over anytime you need to cross it.  dizzy.gif

Re:stranger danger - I feel so lucky to be in such a small and relatively isolated community.  We probably are all too carefree here but you do have such a sense that people are looking out for each other it's nice, maybe unrealistic, but I'll take it (and keep paying attention to all the kids I see wherever).

#115 of 254 Old 10-12-2012, 01:59 PM

Bec: you are right, it's not ok in a couple of ways. I want to believe that they are nice people and just want the best for the people they talk to, but I can't say that's ok to talk to children right outside a school without their parents present, and that's even not considering the element of religion.

Mommajb: careful out there! Are you ok? Predawn running is dangerous.

I agree with you about the free range kids theory - which I definitely ascribe to more than most people who live around me - but you also have to listen to your gut. And, no, it doesn't mean I believe that there are no bad people out there. So when something like this happens, we all look at our lives and our habits a little more closely. Gosh, I scared DS the other day when I went on a mini-rant about not leaving the blinds up after dark in their bedroom. I said that people can see you from the street, and some people are looking for children to prey upon. Guess who slept in my bed that night bag.gif Yes, I had to do some explaining.

Woot! kerc is on a roll!!

MelW: I'm glad the drive and the visit with your MIL went well. Glad you could see her now rather than later, but sorry to hear that things are not going well. Your kids sound great.

Plady: Your community does sound much safer than the average one! It sounds awesome, very close and caring. I'm so jealous!!

Just recently I saw a little guy at Dulles airport arrivals area, crying for his mom/dad, and wandering back through the arriving passengers through the sliding doors and back into the baggage pickup area! I had to go find a security officer to go get him, because who knows where he would have ended up! It just seemed like he was under everyone's radar and line of vision.

Anyway, here I am, maybe injured again. irked.gif Just over 2 weeks to my marathon, and tomorrow was supposed to be my 20-miler, but I've decided to skip it. Better grossly underprepared than injured and unable to run at all. I hate it, I wish I could run, but I am worried that the nagging pain will become the full-fledged injury I had back in early July.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#116 of 254 Old 10-12-2012, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Go Kerc!!!

Mamajb - Head lamp!  I hope you are feeling better, soon.  You didn't crack any ribs, did you?

Mel - I agree with the resting and skipping the 20 in favor of not creating a full blown injury!

So, DH doesn't think they are Witnesses.  The book they passed out was published by the Gideons.  Even if they were, I wouldn't know which Kingdom Hall to call. 

I wish my eldest would eat bananas, because those paleo pancakes sound awesome!

#117 of 254 Old 10-12-2012, 05:29 PM

Preaching to children without parent's permission is not okay and I am hoping the principal agrees. There are enough threads on mdc with people complaining about their mils doing it to convince anybody.

Mel38, you are right to plan to show up able to run rather than injured!

melw, your girls are growing up before your eyes. This is a hard time for all concerned even when it comes after a long life.

sparkle, it sounds like your convo went very well. Good save.

RR/injury report: I had a petzl head lamp wrapped around my hand and in need of new batteries. It is in my bag to be handled. Dh was riding along because I am newly afraid of the dark. It was evening which is less scary to me than early morning but he is good enough to ride along when I ask. My ribs are bruised at breast level but other than surface cuts and bruises I think I'll be okay. My knee twinges but not in a way that worries me tonight. I was sitting at swim practice when I finally pictured just where I had put the arnica and am now giving it a try. Yes, I walked my daughter to swim and then stayed the whole time tonight and walked her home.

#118 of 254 Old 10-12-2012, 05:34 PM

Bec, little green bibles? Those are the Gideons indeed. They were in campus this week here as well. Yeah, not cool.

RP has a cold and had something like an asthma attack last night after we'd run 3. We're doing 11 Monday night instead of tomorrow morning to give her more time to recover. Half marathon in 10 days. It's gonna be ugly.
#119 of 254 Old 10-12-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Little orange book of psalms.  The cover is printed to look like a cool locker.  Unfortunately, it was just off school grounds, so I don't think there is anything that the principal can do about it.

#120 of 254 Old 10-12-2012, 06:18 PM

Have you talked to the principal? Ours doesn't have much authority over what happens as kids move to and from school, but he certainly takes it personally. For instance, when I've reported bullying and traffic incidents just off campus, he's responded appropriately (contacting parents and police, respectively). I would have no doubt he'd call the church and city about that.

And no, you can't have our principal. He's ours, and we need him here for at least another 4 years.
Juvysen likes this.

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page