Dingos are tricked into the treat of running in October! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 254 Old 10-12-2012, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Gideon bible decoder ring

http://lifeandbuilding.com/2011/08/26/that-ubiquitous-bible/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 254 Old 10-13-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
bec

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for that, Geo!  It really makes me a little sick thinking that they are, as an organization, targeting middle schoolers coming out of their school!  I will contact the principal.  That is a good point.  He is a really good principal who really cares about the kids (he cries at pretty much every orientation meeting with incoming parents), so maybe he can keep an eye out for this.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#123 of 254 Old 10-13-2012, 08:45 PM

I am so way behind on the thread, since I worked T/W/R and went to bed at 9:15 last night right after getting DS in bed after his class potluck. I've been reading along, but no time to comment. The police did finally confirm last night that the body they found was Jessica's. They had to wait for DNA verification because the body was "not intact." brokenheart.gifcandle.gif I hugged DS for a looooong time last night. It just hit a little close to home, with the mom working nightshift. And just confirmed that I do not want to let DS walk home alone from the bus stop (a whopping 3 blocks away). Especially since we live in the city proper and have had the "magazine sales" guys and the "I just need to practice talking to people for my organization and oh yeah, how about a donation" people crawling the neighborhood frequently.

It was a busy week, with work and having my sister here for her conference. I barely saw her, but what little I did was nice. I had to get my 20 miler in this morning, and squeeze it in before the cub scout outing at noon. I made it home just in time to change out of my wet bra, shirt, and jacket, and into a dry set, and inhale two fruit cups and a yogurt. It was a really nice outing, to a local historic park, except for the part where it was cold and rainy and most of the park is outdoors. orngtongue.gif I was starving mid-way through, and the other mom who was there had to hook me up from her car-food stash with a granola bar and an applesauce, lol.

rr~20 miles, check. And it was honestly not bad. I was dreading this run all.week.long. And while it wasn't easy, and it wasn't great, it really wasn't terrible. I just took it slow. Very slow. I was especially nervous yesterday when my running partner bailed and it was too late to round someone else up to go with me. Not only 20 miles, but 20 by myself? Eek! And I had to start while it was still dark out, thanks to the cub scout thing. I will say that the weather was just about perfect (the cold front/rain rolled in during my last mile!) and the sun coming up with the fall colors and the mountains in the distance made for a pretty scenic start to my day. I just chugged along, walking when I needed to (although I tried to keep it to no more than twice a mile), eating my two sport beans a mile. I even ran into two friends along the trail (both far faster than me!), so that was kind of fun. My plantar fascitis wasn't bad at all, but my blister on the other foot was. Ow. I stopped at one point and tried to rig it up with a band-aid I had in my pack and some chapstick. It might have kind of worked, possibly. I guess it may have been worse without it! orngtongue.gif What's interesting to me is that I am really not very sore at all right now, other than my stupid blister. I was FAR more sore after my 18 miler, and while that may have been marginally faster, it wasn't that much faster. I wonder if I'll feel it worse tomorrow... In the meantime, it is now time to taper. Although, really, hasn't this whole training cycle kind of been a taper? orngbiggrin.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#124 of 254 Old 10-13-2012, 09:00 PM

candle.gifbawling.gif

I just read about it. I cant think too much about it b/c I will cry, and I have 8 ten-year-olds sleeping over in the next room dizzy.gif My heart breaks for the parents!!

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#125 of 254 Old 10-14-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
bec

I heard about the not being intact last night, and the whole thing is so heartbreaking.  I get overwhelmed thinking about my own kids. 

RR: Does good intentions count?  I really wanted to get out for 7 sometime this weekend.  I guess it can still happen.  But, I have to overcome the inertia of sitting on my chair.  It's rainy and blah outside. 

#126 of 254 Old 10-14-2012, 12:33 PM

Congrats, Gaye on having an good 20 miler. After all of the tough runs you've put in recently the universe "owed" you a good one!

RR- Bootcamp friday was insane, mostly because I had to carry through on a warning that any physical violence from the youngest (who was having a tough evening) would result in leaving. My oldest pointed out that it was unfair to make us all leave because of little sister's kicking, so I called my husband to pick up the little one. We were doing circuit training stations, so I took the outside station of "continuous stairs" for far too many sets in a row. Yesterday was a short 5k run to stretch out some of the soreness before my night shift and today is decidedly lazy rest day post-nights. Tomorrow is a solo parenting and all day work meeting day, so running will have to wait for Tuesday next.

NRR- I've chosen new lino for our laundry room and bathroom, and have fingers crossed that we'll start getting some of the repair from the flood done this week. I feel like my head is spinning from the past few weeks- lice, super-sick kid, flood plus all of the usual work, home, homeschooling.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#127 of 254 Old 10-14-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
bec

So, the thunderstorms off and on all day have really put the nail in the coffin of my long run.  And I really don't have the heart to do it on the treadmill.  I should be able to get it in tomorrow, so I won't be too far off.

#128 of 254 Old 10-14-2012, 04:01 PM

Hi mamas.

I have not run since last Wednesday. Between dh's schedule, my getting a headcold, and dd1's bat mitzvah today, I just could not make it happen. I am exhausted. I haven't slept well in two nights, what with pre-party anxiety and a stuffed up nose. Gah.

But, the weekend was lovely and the bat mitzvah today was really amazing. We don't do big shindigs here; we have a nice party with a catered simple buffet lunch (pasta with two kinds of sauces, some salads, salmon, fruit and dessert). Dd1 gave two speeches -- a 'dvar Torah' (commentary on her Torah portion, which is the first of the Torah and corresponds with the creation story) and a 'thank you' speech; we also had three rabbis give short talks, and I gave a short speech. Dh surprised me and gave an impromptu speech which was lovely and he also thanked me from the podium and gave all the credit for the party to me. Which was pretty out of character and meant a lot. Dd1 looked beautiful and felt beautiful, my kids were all dressed appropriately (although dd2's dress which I bought in August was already a tad too short! shy.gif and ds' pants were falling off despite the belt), my outfit came together fine and I didn't run my stockings (always a worry). So that was good. My very dear friend from when we lived in Maryland came for the whole weekend and that was awesome; she brought one of her daughters with her and the kids had a great time.

So that's behind us now, which is both gratifying and depressing at the same time. Kind of like a marathon I guess. nut.gif

Anyway hoping to get back to more 'normal' and get back to some decent running. I am just so tired and feeling already the effects of increased darkness and cold...

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#129 of 254 Old 10-14-2012, 06:56 PM

Nic, I'm glad the bat mitzvah went smoothly. It sounds like a lovely, memorable event.

RR- After a morning of rainstorms I convinced the kids to go for a bike ride to get tea and play at the park. Short but sweet. I'm planning some strength training after bedtime tonight.

NRR- For mysterious reasons, the kids have been kind, co-operative and fun with me and with each other all day (I can safely say this without jinxing, I hope, since we're 40 minutes from bedtime). The week has been hard after the goodbye visit to step-MIL, but with lots of love and talking they seem to have settled down today. They had a breakfast restaurant "date" with their dad and a quick trip to play Lego at grandma's house this morning, then played, biked to the park and played happily at home all afternoon. My oldest daughter and I listened to bluegrass and prepped apples for the dehydrator for almost an hour while my youngest played happily upstairs *without creating massive messes*. I was pretty convinced she was drawing on the walls with permanent marker or something to not be jealous of big sis getting 1:1 mum time, but she was just engaged in a game with some imaginary monsters and a boy named Hank. I will take the good days when they are offered, thankyouverymuch. My husband is out of town and I have the evening to myself to drink tea and fold laundry and prep next week's classes (what a thrilling life!)

#130 of 254 Old 10-15-2012, 12:30 AM

More healing goodvibes.gif to all who need them.

I tried to post on Thursday night but couldn't (me issues, not tech issues). Thursday night scared the crap out of me, basically, between the FBI profile being very clear that there's a predator right here, right now, who will strike again, and the whole not-intact thing. (For a brief bit, I kept thinking oh, maybe coyotes. But apparently not. Seriously?!?!?!?) Just before I went to teach on Thursday, I saw pictures of police linewalking along the lake where I run with my kids. And collecting evidence. And collecting evidence in other areas I run as well, all around my neighborhood. I don't know much, but I listened to the scanners some. They're mostly on closed channels but I did hear about one item. Sidenote: it's probably not a good idea to listen to scanners after something like this). After a while I think, no, that's just in a book or a movie you saw, and then I remember, oh crap, it's not. I'm really sad and really scared. I've always felt like this area was so safe, with so many people out walking and biking and running, in the neighborhoods, in the open space on trails and just everywhere, and suddenly, there's this.

We went up to the mountains for DH's 40th birthday. It felt a bit like fleeing, not that I felt all that safe there either. We passed a lot of state patrol cars on our way. One passed me twice Saturday on my 3-miler. (Once by local, state or a ranger is common. Twice is common for 8-12 miles.) I don't know what they know, but when I was nearing my usual turnaround point, a truck going in the same direction slowed suddenly and pulled off the road. Without hesitating I made an immediate u-turn and picked up the pace (speedwork!) in the other direction. (Paranoid, probably. But alive. I keep wanting to write "in one piece" but that's also taken on new meaning. Ugh.) We saw a good amount of state patrol driving back tonight too.

I'm going to stick to the treadmill for a while.

ETA: for those that may also be feeling paranoid about walking with their kids, don't. She disappeared in approximately 1/10th of a mile. Maybe less. That three blocks was not far.

I don't want to throw free range kids out the window 'cause I think what she says is true. But it's not true in my neighborhood right now, so as an FYI: everything I say about this now or for years to come is specifically in reference to decisions I'm making for my own kids in his area of Westminster/Arvada based largely on this experience. Statistically, nothing remotely like this is going to happen anywhere near any other Dingo.

ETA(again): the Wyoming kidnapping took place after she disappeared, not before. There was speculation about a connection, but the FBI ruled it out.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#131 of 254 Old 10-15-2012, 05:23 AM

Real grouphug.gif still thinking of you and the new reality in that community. I hope that they catch the person who did this soon, and that you and all the people there can start to rebuild a sense of safety. It's just very sad and disturbing.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#132 of 254 Old 10-15-2012, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
bec

hug2.gif Real.  I can only imagine how very scared I would be if this was in my own neighborhood.  It's unnerving enough that it happened at all.  And yet, I did let my 6th grader walk on her own to and from school.

#133 of 254 Old 10-15-2012, 07:34 AM

Oh, real. I can't imagine what it feels like in your neck of the woods right now. It's scary enough here, and we're not literally in the same neighborhood. hug.gif

nic~So glad the bat mitzvah went well. I saw your FB pic of your DD and she was beautiful. love.gif

I can't even walk today because of my blister. greensad.gif I took yesterday off, mostly because of it, but was planning on getting something in today. Seriously, cannot walk on it at all. I can walk on my toes, which is workable for taking DS to school and gimping around the house, but is not gonna work for 6 miles. I thought about a bike ride, but even that will put too much pressure on it, I think. So now, I'm pondering a swim since that's probably the only thing I can do and not scream, but I have lunch scheduled with a friend, so....ugh. I was so excited to have a good run in on Saturday, and now I'm sitting on my behind wasting the momentum. Even more ugh because I have new pairs of shoes that I want to try! One is the pair that I'm hoping to wear for the marathon (but a little nervous about because they're the adrenaline 12 and I've heard from other Brooks peeps that they're a bit different from the 11's and people are not liking the changes). So, I need to make sure they're going to work for 26.2. I also got a pair of Pure Cadence, from the new minimalist line. They're still a support shoe, so I'm hoping I'll like them. Plus, they're a very pretty hot pink. orngtongue.gif Oh well, I guess they'll still be here tomorrow, if I can actually even walk tomorrow...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#134 of 254 Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 AM

Real hug.gif Dh and I are feeling paranoid too. No comparison, but we were thinking, we're a straight shot en route to the Mexico border. I doubt the predator is in your area anymore. I'm so aorry for how incredibly sad and stressful this must be for everyone around you greensad.gif

RR: ...

NRR: Lots of junkie eating, lots of sleep (asleep at 8 last night bigeyes.gif), must get some studying done but cant find my momentum. Bleh all around

p.s. why do I raise my hand to volunteer, even as I'm kicking myself "put your hand down! put your hand down!" Here I am making team reservations for travel to UT in December. I know it's b/c no one else will do it and I'm a teeny bit type-A, but c'mon y'all, it's not like I want to do this (I just want it done right)lol.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#135 of 254 Old 10-15-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post

I need this imprinted on my eyeballs these days!

Thanks for posting the pic. I totally needed to see that. Moving makes me a crabby, crabby mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post

ETA: for those that may also be feeling paranoid about walking with their kids, don't. She disappeared in approximately 1/10th of a mile. Maybe less. That three blocks was not far.
I don't want to throw free range kids out the window 'cause I think what she says is true. But it's not true in my neighborhood right now, so as an FYI: everything I say about this now or for years to come is specifically in reference to decisions I'm making for my own kids in his area of Westminster/Arvada based largely on this experience. Statistically, nothing remotely like this is going to happen anywhere near any other Dingo.
ETA(again): the Wyoming kidnapping took place after she disappeared, not before. There was speculation about a connection, but the FBI ruled it out.

So so sorry! I like the idea of free range kids, but where I currently live, I could see something like this happen. This summer alone, two adults were shot on my block; one killed. Last Halloween, four blocks from me, a 10 year old was shot. We live in a poor area, all renters, huge turnover, huge language barriers, lots of gang violence. I can't count all the stuff I've had stolen from me: everything from diaper bags and strollers to my car (multiple times). So while I walked three blocks to school by myself at my eldest child's age (in an affluent, home owner, suburban neighborhood), my kids can't go outside at all without adult supervision. I'm so glad that we're moving to the kind of neighborhood where free range parenting will be a possibility, but whenever I read her stuff, the amount of privilege with which she writes... Anyhow.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#136 of 254 Old 10-15-2012, 12:44 PM

Revolting--I do think she ignores that aspect of it.

What's hitting all of us in the area hard is that this is a safe area. Until a week and a half ago, it was perfectly safe and reasonable to let a 10-year-old walk three blocks. I've let R walk home to our backyard gate on the trail while I take the double jogger around the block and come in through the garage (double jogger does not fit through backyard gate), starting in first grade. I usually watched her walk down to our house and go through the gate, and I'd take off running for home once I saw her go up our deck steps. I couldn't see her in the backyard itself, but it didn't seem like a concern. The distance from where she'd walk and where I'd wait, watching her is about half the distance in which Jessica disappeared.

bec--I think what you're doing is safe, FTR.

tjsmama--sorry about your blister. I'll be curious about your thoughts on the 12s. I've finally gotten used to the 11s.

sparkle--yeah, there's that. I'm not sure anyone is headed for Mexico. But after the fun and games are over, it concerns me about the straight shot to New Mexico bit.

RR: after a pathetic 5-mile week last week (!!!), I'm trying a new strategy. J hasn't wanted to be in the jogger for the last couple of weeks (premonition? or being 2? Probably 2), and now I don't really feel all that inspired to be out, between deranged lunatics and wondering what may be out there in the spots I run. They're still searching open space. So, treadmill it is! I keep thinking at least it makes it a worthwhile purchase, and even better, no more panicky speedwork.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#137 of 254 Old 10-15-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Truly, when I think about it, and consider the risks, the route, etc. I do think I'm being safe.  I do think, this is the right thing to do, and the right way to do it.  It's just hard not to feed into the panic and horror.  I guess it is hitting me hard because we are only JUST starting to allow the kids a little more freedom. 

Revolting - Before DH and I were married, we lived in a very bad part of Roger's Park in Chicago.  I had to walk 2 blocks to the El station to ride downtown, and it was definitely scary after dark!  We broke our lease and moved to the suburbs when we got a bullet through the window of the room that I was studying in.  It was stopped by the window frame, or it could have easily hit me (it was that close). 

RR: Well, I did get out there!  I missed Sunday, but went out today and got my 7 in.  It was a glorious fall day, and I was able to do the run in sub 12:00 pace (read: lightning fast for me).  It was interrupted by a couple of phone calls, but was really a nice run.  Solid.  I feel confident for the 15k coming up in early November!

NRR: One of the phone calls that I got on my run was from my boss.  She was asking me if I was interested in a seasonal stock manager position for the store!  I would be responsible for getting shipment out, the store looking good, making sure it was recovered properly, etc.  A raise, keys to the store, more responsibility, and really a huge professional compliment.  Anyway, I'm really excited about it. 

#138 of 254 Old 10-15-2012, 07:36 PM

11 miles starting at 8 pm. What was I thinking? Cramming for the half in 6.5 days... It's like we're pulling an all nighter before the final exam, risking sleeping through the whole thing.

Eating an apple, walnuts, and vit I before shower and bed, assuming I can climb the stairs.

I'm still trying to craft my thoughts on the free-range thing. This community is very much scarred by an event that happened 30 years ago.
#139 of 254 Old 10-16-2012, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
bec

I feel like I spend more time with the trainer that does the tri class than I do my family!  I felt good after the run, so decided to go to the extra boot camp type thing that she teaches on Monday evening.  It was a killer strength workout.  Then, up at 5am for Tuesday boot camp (she makes sure to do different stuff at each class, so no one muscle group is over worked).  This is me, finding ways to get it all in, while working and alone all week with the kids (DH is traveling for work).

#140 of 254 Old 10-16-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

11 miles starting at 8 pm. What was I thinking? Cramming for the half in 6.5 days... It's like we're pulling an all nighter before the final exam, risking sleeping through the whole thing.

I hardly think you're cramming. But you are well prepared for cramming. Years of academic training under your belt.

Dog walk this morning, 3 miles with speedy running partner at 1, xc training group at 545.

And I woke up wishing I could go.right.then. and run five miles. What?

Fueling up for my afternoon: salami + cheese and crackers, leftover roasted veggies and leftover but not roasted brussll sprouts. yummy.gif Here's hoping two hours takes care of it.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#141 of 254 Old 10-16-2012, 10:15 AM

kerc ~ now that sounds like a fun afternoon of running!  Enjoy!

Geo ~ cram away.  Nice job on the 11.

bec ~ that Boot Camp class sounds great!

All of you are making up for the working out I am NOT doing!  If only it were transferrable....

Real ~ I may need to pick your brain about school bond issues.  We have a district meeting on Thursday night to come up with ideas to balance the budget (which, thanks to the state not paying us for the last 3 years, is running a 2+ million deficit).  I am decidedly NOT happy with the "cut PE, music and computers" plan, or the "reduce the school day to 4 hours" plan.  I'd be happy to pay a little more each year to keep that stuff (and maybe staff the library and hire an art teacher again).  Unfortunately, our area is heavily populated by military retirees who no longer have kids in the system and don't want to pay any more than they already do in property taxes.  I can't say that I blame them, because the property tax rate in our county is among the top 10 highest in the nation, but still....

RR ~ PT today.  They changed the focus to my gluteus medius, which is apparently partially torn at the greater trochanter (top of the femur).  Therapeutic ultrasound, lots of stretching, lots of clamshells, and a torture session with the chiro and it actually feels a tiny bit better.  I am holding on to the vaguest shred of hope that someday I will run again.

NRR ~ Mega soccer weekend coming up.  DS's team is playing a tournament AND has two games of regular league play as well, so a minumum of 5 games, with a possibility of 7 if they go to the semi-finals and finals in the tournament.  Go BFC!!!  Throw in DD1's horseback riding and DD2's gymnastics and it looks like a lot of hauling kids around on my schedule.  Eating well and getting lots of sleep is keeping me sane, in spite of the lack of exercise.  Thank goodness.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#142 of 254 Old 10-16-2012, 10:22 AM

Rest day to recover from coughing all night long. Bronchial elixir, tea, emergen-c and a morning cuddling with the laptop getting prep done.

I've been thinking about the impacts of childhood and community histories related to degree of "free-ranging" our kids are allowed. I grew up in a house without a lock on the front door and the only fence was around the garden. I had a pretty free range of the neighbourhood from about age 8 or 9 onward, including a forest and beach. We would occasionally be reined in after cougar sightings, but otherwise free to play. My younger siblings were allowed farther at younger ages because I would watch out for them. There was a local brutal rape/murder of a young girl when I was a teen that didn't have much impact on our "freedoms" because of our age at the time. It had a much bigger effect on my husband's family because his mother was the therapist for the murderer (a 16 year old boy who babysat for the girl) before it happened. Strangely, he's more relaxed about free-ranging kids than I am, though perhaps from the recognition that by far most of the abuse happens not from strangers.

I lock our doors and we have a fenced backyard where the kids mostly play. I let the kids bike around the block together without me, and the oldest in a few block range on her own. I'd feel comfortable letting her go a bit farther with a friend, but there isn't anyone in the neighbourhood who she plays with who wants to or is allowed. My youngest, as you may remember, made it 12 blocks to the park by herself on her 3rd birthday. My oldest is far more nervous/sensible and would probably never want to get that far on her own, even at almost 7. I suspect I'll have more challenges deciding about free-ranging as the youngest gets older- I've already said no to biking around the block on her own- not because of safety/strangers but because I don't trust her to come back.

#143 of 254 Old 10-17-2012, 05:54 PM

Quiet day.

I'm still coughing, but have been doing some circuits at home.

Took my youngest with a group of other toddlers/preschoolers to the residential care home to sing and take gifts of Hallowe'en art. So, so cute.

#144 of 254 Old 10-17-2012, 08:39 PM

Hope you're on the mend, Mel. 

My family had a potluck farewell for us tonight, and Reb came with her girls, too. Pumpkin carving and hot cider out in the garage. It was really nice. The kids are tearful. We'll hit the road early Sunday morning and should be in Morocco by early Monday morning, and back in UAE on November 4. We get to fly first class ORD to JFK. Not the long leg, but I'll take it.

I have zero RR to report. I am OK with it, but my legs hurt. Maybe will sneak off to cycle tomorrow. Dd has completed a quarter's worth of work and ds is close behind. Should not have a lot of makeup to do once we land and unpack.

#145 of 254 Old 10-18-2012, 04:11 AM

Congratulations to Alex (Zubeldia) on the birth of her new baby boy last night! 

(incidentally my friend who is an L&D nurse said her unit was hopping last night...change in barometric pressure?)

Asthma is coming under control, made it out for a good run this morning. The past few days have been physically rough but slowly getting better.

Teachers/professors: if you give a test which the entire class more or less bombs (highest grade 81%) would you:

a) throw it out and give another test

b) allow an extra credit essay to add points to the test

c) re-weight it so it only counts as a quiz or assignment

d) something else

Bearing in mind this is an AP class, I was pretty shocked. But when I looked back at the test, I realized a lot of the MC questions were ambiguous (I took them however, from old AP exam question banks on the subject matter we covered for this era). 

I don't really know how to do a curve well (math dorkus).

Anyway, have a great day mamas!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#146 of 254 Old 10-18-2012, 06:13 AM

Curve. Easy curve: add 19% to each grade. Harder curve: add back points for all questions you now feel are ambigious. Best curve: decide what you think the median/mean should have been. Calculate the mean, add the difference. If all questions are from actual AP exams, though, consider leaving it.

I think it's good in an AP class for them to see that they are not performing on the instrument that they will be evaluated with at the end of the year. If you do curve, then consider passing the exams back with the orginal score to give them 30 seconds of terror. Then explain that this is how they would have performed on the exam, but for grade book purposes, you've recorded the grade + curve.

RR 3 miles was hard last night.

NRR considering launching back into knitting to make some Griffendor scarves. Sadly, I only have yarn of the appropriate colors in fingering weight. This would require purchase of new yarn.
#147 of 254 Old 10-18-2012, 06:52 AM

Nic - I liked Geo's last option. Especially the 30 seconds of terror part!

Jooj - safe travels!

Alex - congratulations on the arrival of the newest Dinglet!

NRR - DD2 came into my room this morning and promptly vomited on the floor, so we are spending the day at home. Tonight is the first community meeting to discuss the cuts/taxes/bonds necessary to balance the budget next year. Real, thank you for your PM! Lots of good ideas on the website.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#148 of 254 Old 10-18-2012, 06:55 AM

Also consider spending some time teaching them how to cope with ambiguous questions.  Ambiguity is a fact of these exams, and there are skills you can use to sort through it.  Maybe pick the question you feel is most ambiguous, have them give their answer (or present a tally of their answers from the test), and deconstruct it to show how this is ambiguous but also something they can figure out, and will have to figure out on the exam.  This was, after all, an example test question.

Multiple choice sucks.

#149 of 254 Old 10-18-2012, 08:14 AM

Multiple choice does suck, but I agree that if these questions are more or less the same that they'll have to face for their final they should see their real scores.  I don't really see the value of grading with a curve, they got what they deserved after all, but I really like the idea of deconstructing the questions so they can learn what to look for and how to deal.  Then maybe have a do-over if it's really so big a deal that they all sucked out?  Of course that all takes time out of whatever else you had been planing to do.  Honestly, I am constantly struck by how much time outside of actual in-front-of-students time teachers must need.  I am spending hours and hours a week outside of rehearsal time on a play.  That's not even real life! 

And that said, I'm out of time.  Off to boxing, my one and only workout these days. 

Congrats to Alex!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#150 of 254 Old 10-18-2012, 08:46 AM

agreed with what geo said. but also adding: you're dealing with AP class in high school. So you probably have a number of students who will *freak* out if they get a low grade. So I would totally add points. But not so many they don't work hard for the next test.

Also: I have MC tests for my online students. I generate a GIANT test bank (Thanks to the textbook publisher + my own questions) and write a dummy, optional multiple choice quiz for them to take to prep. They can take it electronically as often as they like. And then I draw 50% of my points from there and 50% from other places (like essays, or different MC questions or diagrams or whatever). It helps to alleviate issues like ambiguous questions. And I can see who did it electronically so when they tell me they studied super hard for the m.c. part I can call their bluff.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)

Tags
Fitness

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page