Dingos are tricked into the treat of running in October! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 254 Old 10-22-2012, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Meanwhile, she's 100% rude and entitled at home lately.

I think some of this might be just the developmental burp around 10. We see it too. Oh my.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#182 of 254 Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 AM

... doesnt bode well for my 4 year old (if you remember: "I said I wanted milk, DUH") as a ten year old run.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#183 of 254 Old 10-22-2012, 06:30 PM

Oy, rude children!  I never miss an opportunity to suggest an alternate script if a kid asks for something in a rude manner.  Nic, I'd definitely explain how totally unlikely his approach is to succeed in the future (and present).  Have you asked any colleagues about if this is just him or if he's been groomed to act like a jerk?  It might be interesting to know how long this has been going on.

Sparkle - So much for the prof crush, just don't let him invade your peace at the gym!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#184 of 254 Old 10-22-2012, 07:40 PM

well, since I'm not at the gym much these days disappointed.gif

2 papers down, 4 to go ....

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#185 of 254 Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 PM

Mel, sorry about the kitty. I hope he passes peacefully.

Nic, thank you for setting the teens straight about tone and entitlement. I'd want it done for my kids and for society in general.

Write, sparkle, write!!

I spend all day providing kinder, more polite scripts to my three year old. While I don't have DUH happening (yet!), there are a lot of rude demands. And reminders. And more reminders.

I may have made a lovely social faux pas today, too. Our local natural foods store (and only real grocery store in the village- the other option is a convenience store with a couple small food aisles or driving into town) was featured in an online documentary series about "mompreneurs". This link was shared on Facebook by the community events newsletter, and I added my congratulations and a rant about the inherent patriarchal implications of the term "mompreneur" and all of its underlying assumptions. Fast forward an couple hours and I decide the afternoon needs some coconut butter and seed garlic and as we park bikes by the side of the store I see the owner sitting at her desk reading Facebook. I went with the "pretend normal and say nothing" strategy while shopping today. I don't think I was rude, but I was a bit ranty. My morning had involved five phone calls to my health insurance and two calls to the pharmacy to get the drug coverage working for my daughter's asthma, so the frustration level was high. On a positive note, I love my pharmacist. I've known him since my teens and he always goes above and beyond with customer service. Over the weekend he just gave me the meds we needed for free until we figured out insurance, and today said to drop by the store with the money owned "when you get the chance".

RR- I've committed to daily circuit/strength training this week. Doing bodyrock videos. Run tomorrow if everything goes smoothly with the restoration folks doing post-flood work. 

NRR-

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#186 of 254 Old 10-23-2012, 10:40 AM

Mel38 ~ I am so sorry your kitty is nearing the end of his life.  It is always so difficult to watch a beloved pet in decline hug2.gif.

Nic ~ you've gotten some great advice from Geo, kerc, and the other seasoned teachers/professors/instructor Dingoes.  The nerve of some kids.... sheesh!

bec ~ Congratulations on the job promotion!  You work really hard and totally deserve it.

MelW ~ I wouldn't consider that a faux pas.  You were just voicing your opinion.  Nothing wrong about that. And incidentally, I agree with you. "Mompreneurs" ~ please eyesroll.gif.

sparkle ~ keep on writing, mama.

Real ~ about $3,581 of the 9,100 in current taxes go to the school district.  Our district is just for K-8 though. There is another district for the two high schools that gets $2,529 in taxes so approximately $6,000 of our property tax goes to the two school districts that make up K-12.  I think they should combine the districts into one and lay off the jerky superintendant. Hey, look, I just saved the district $200,000 by doing that!  The remaining $3,000 goes to the county, the city, the roads, the parks, etc. I am amazed by the shortfall in your district!  You must have a very large district.  Ours is really just 2 middle schools and 5 elementary schools.

RR ~ PT this morning and an additional diagnosis of trochanteric bursitis from the pain management doctor.  And a steriod injection into said bursa.  I treated myself to a delcious gluten-free cupcake afterwards from the new cupcake and coffee joint in our town.  Yummsters!

NRR ~ The weekend was very busy, but fun.  DS played 5 soccer games in less than 36 hours.  Exhaustion set in by the 4th game and they did not advance to the finals for the tournament.  The last game on Sunday morning was ugly, to say the least.  Their coach found the team's limit, I think.  I took DD1 and DD2 to a Halloween party at the riding stables on Saturday night complete with hayrides, a bonfire and lots of delcious food.  All the horses were in their stalls for petting and DD2 spent the entire night getting hay from the barn to feed to the pygmy goats.  And when she got home, she asked DH if she could have a goat for Christmas!  I am with her orngbiggrin.gif.

No run today due to the injection, but the PM doc wants me to keep running, so tomorrow I am headed back to the Y for a jog/walk and weights along with my daily PT exercises.  I WILL beat this!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#187 of 254 Old 10-23-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
Plady, lots of checkmarks on that list for us. :( I'm so sorry about the hip and hope you can find peace with sugar/hip/pain/love. My acupuncturist would say they're all intimately connected- physical manifestations of other issues. Which is both helpful and very unhelpful, I suspect. (I'd just like a quick physical fix, most days).

NRR- Cough is fading, though we seem to be doing cycling family colds. My youngest is snotty now. My oldest is doing the young writers program for NaNoWriMo and we just started some of the prep lessons this week. It's fun- she's been working on a novel since the summer and it seems to be the boost she's been looking for.

Hope you are all over the colds by now, I think dd1 just came home with the first of the season for us. On holistic health, Yes, I've got some nagging yet unintelligible voice somewhere in the background talking to me about body-mind-emotion stuff.  I also have a long and fairly depressing letter to dh tucked away in my computer waiting for the right time to get to work again.  I don't know what I think might happen if I start this ball rolling again, could I just please not have pain in my hips and think about the 'other' stuff another time? redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
MelW ~ I wouldn't consider that a faux pas.  You were just voicing your opinion.  Nothing wrong about that. And incidentally, I agree with you. "Mompreneurs" ~ please eyesroll.gif.

Seriously, 'mompreneurs'?  Is there no end to the patronizing?  If we must go that route can we at least agree to be vagpreneurs?  I mean, it's some sort of perversion of nature for any woman to open a business, not just a mom right?  So let's make sure we all take note!

Nic - Meant to add, kudos for you for even finding any point in that kid's email.  I'm sure I'd have been blinded by indignation.

Mel38 - How's your kitty?  I think it's sweet that he's still going about his nap schedule, and nice of you to be letting him go quietly when the time comes.

JayGee - Those poor kids!  They must have been fried!

Speaking of fried, my little one is too.  I let her take a 40 minute nap when she came home from school this afternoon but it wasn't quite the right amount because then she had a total meltdown at dinner, just too tired to try the salmon.  I finally relented and sent her off to decompress with celery and cream cheese but now it's time to round her up for an evening rehearsal.  I hope she's recovered enough to hang in there.

#188 of 254 Old 10-23-2012, 08:16 PM

Geo, you ran the half and kept up your schedule as a prof and a parent. I don;t see a lack of training. Perhaps not where you wanted to be and yet so good to be doing it.

The closest I get to holistic health is blaming my weight gain on stress. To say I have issues to work through might be minimizing things. I'd be happy to arrive at acceptance.

RR: 5 miles at 9:10 My old goal was to stay half ready and by ready I mean sub 2. So not there.
A very close friend was to visit today and for the half marathon in January. She didn't come to CA this week because her mom is terminally ill. They have stopped treating her mother's brain cancer and are presumably setting up for hospice. It breaks my heart for so many reasons. In discussing it with dh I realized that she will probably only come out in January if her mom has already passed away. mecry.gif:gloomy

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#189 of 254 Old 10-24-2012, 01:26 AM

jaygee~real's school district is the one that I used to work for, and it has 19 high schools, not counting charter and vocational schools. I have no idea how many middle and elementary schools that equals, but it is a BIG district.

mel38~I'm sorry about your kitty. greensad.gif

geo~WTG on the half! Sometimes a race just doesn't go the way that you had originally hoped, y'know? Case in point, my NYC marathon...

Speaking of which, I have decided that I have a new goal for NYC. Beat Al Roker. Which, given that he ran it in 7-ish hours, I should be good. orngbiggrin.gif Goal #2, beat Meredith Viera's time, which was 5:59. I should be good for that one, too.

Halfway through my last night of work, and not to jinx myself, but it has been significantly better. In fact, I only have two couplets tonight. Whew. My parents arrive tomorrow for the weekend, so that will be nice. Except that I will only get about two hours of sleep tomorrow since I have a dentist appointment at 10:30 to get my invisilign and then a hair appt for cut and color. I may very well fall asleep in the chair...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#190 of 254 Old 10-24-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Seriously, 'mompreneurs'?  Is there no end to the patronizing?  If we must go that route can we at least agree to be vagpreneurs? 

spitdrink.gif   I need to re-do my business cards, stat!!

So, Plady, the letter to your dh, is that like to get the hidden, stress-producing issues out into the open? I hope that you can find the absolutely right time to do it. And that your dh is really nice about it. Is your hip still giving you grief?

Gaye - of course you can beat Al and Meredith! You will do great - you always do! Let's just hope that your work schedule slows down a bit so you can get some quality sleep.

Mommajb - so sorry to hear that your friend can't come and about her mom. That's terrible.

Mel, I applaud your commitment to the bodyrock and circuit training stuff.

JG and Real - you guys are so on the ball with your school districts. Those numbers just boggle my mind, and then all the politicking that goes on regarding public schools. greensad.gif So counter-productive.

Thanks for the kind words about kitty. He finally passed mid-day yesterday, after really hanging in there since the weekend. I thought the extra time with him was really nice, but toward the end, I think he wasn't really conscious any more. I did get to have lots of time to say good-bye and tell him what a great kitty he has been. This is him back in 1995 when we first adopted him and his sister from a farm:

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#191 of 254 Old 10-24-2012, 09:51 AM

candle.gif RIP sweet little kitty.

Mommajb - hug2.gif That sucks, for your friend and potentially for you.  I'm thinking about making a trip down to your neck of the woods in Feb.  The girls have a school break and we've got lots of family and friends that I haven't been able to see down there in ages.  If it develops as I'm imagining I think a dingo meetup could be a nice highlight for me.  You game?

Gaye - Yeah, you'll smoke those talking heads.  No worries, but I love the goals, that'll keep you honest.

Mel38 - Yeah, letter to dh is sort of a let's-talk-about-the-elephant-in-the-room.  So obvious, so unaddressed. 

#192 of 254 Old 10-24-2012, 10:08 AM

vagpreneaurs ROTFLMAO.gif holistic health = stress = weight gain biglaugh.gif I needed those. I feel like my brain is bleeding!

Mel38 - candle.gif RIP kitty

mamajb - greensad.gif I'm sorry for your friend's loss and your vicarious mourning

RR: still eyesroll.gif study stress and exercise sadly are not friends

NRR: re: underlying mind-body stuff. I am having this curious mid-life catharsis that I think is hormonal, and yet it so correlates with my life-long pattern of mood/behavior/response to stress/self-care in that it's moving it in a positive direction, without my having actively tried to make changes, that its really interesting. I find that I am experiencing something VERY similar to what the author desribed in that article "The Bitch is Back" that I posted here awhile back. She connects a return to self- interest, and an impatience with the demands of others on hormone changes, and maybe that's what's happening, but my patience is minimal, and my expectations of my family are much higher, and my demands for myself are much higher ... and I feel like I'm returning to the self I was when I was single and childless, and it feels really exhilarating. And I also happen to be feeling pretty strong (for nearing 43) and healthy and just good. Hmm. Plady, it may not have to do directly with dh, but with the pattern in you that allowed the dynamic between you and dh to get established. ykwim? Do you need to reclaim your inner bitch? Just wait (how old are you?), it's coming lol.gif

ok, now back to the regularly scheduled program .....

#193 of 254 Old 10-24-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

Do you need to reclaim your inner bitch?

uh, well no. apparently I'm already in touch with her.

<giant blow up with spouse. in a productive, non-yelling way.>

#194 of 254 Old 10-24-2012, 01:46 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss, Mel. grouphug.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#195 of 254 Old 10-24-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

uh, well no. apparently I'm already in touch with her.

biglaugh.gif "in a productive non-yelling way" is a far cry from bitchy

how about the "serious discussion" dh and I had last week where I aired some of my grievances and he said "F-bomb you" about one of them? Or the time last month when the reverse happened lol.gifbag.gif

#196 of 254 Old 10-24-2012, 04:57 PM

I'm 33. If I have a decade before I'm allowed to get in touch with my inner bitch, there might be trouble. Truly, I think that my current super-woman juggling way more than her share of the load at with home/work/kids with a smile the whole time is really not an effective use of my so-called-power. Fingers crossed that I can find a productive, non-yelling way of getting better balance. That's what my mompreneur/vagpreneur rant was about, but I think folks thought I was being negative when I should turn my frown upside down and look on the sunny side of life. I'm generally an optimist, but sometimes turning overly to the world of positive thinking and manifesting our destinies takes us away from the task of fighting the power.

Today I fought the power by sacrificing sleep to get up post-night shift and pull my littlest out of preschool early to go to an anti-oil pipeline rally. Perhaps not the best strategy for fighting a cold, but today was a day for other fights :)

RR- 5k yesterday. Despite all of my emotional turmoil my hip is holding out okay with my current short runs. More bodyrock tonight :)

Mel,  candle.gif for your kitty.

Mommajb, sorry about your friend's mom.

tjsmama, I love your marathon goals thumb.gif

#197 of 254 Old 10-24-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:

biglaugh.gif "in a productive non-yelling way" is a far cry from bitchy
how about the "serious discussion" dh and I had last week where I aired some of my grievances and he said "F-bomb you" about one of them? Or the time last month when the reverse happened lol.gifbag.gif

I'm much more likely to be the one dropping the f bomb during serious 'discussions'.  I'm sure dh and I would both agree that I'm well acquainted with my inner bitch.  And so is he.  No, sadly my elephant has more to do with the realm of x-training.  Actions speaking louder than words, or the lack thereof. crap.gif

#198 of 254 Old 10-24-2012, 08:37 PM

Plady grouphug.gif

#199 of 254 Old 10-24-2012, 08:41 PM

Mel38 - I am so sorry to hear about your cat. He looks like he was a real sweetie.

I have an inner bitch somewhere, but she hasn't been out recently!

Anyone else watch Call the Midwife on PBS? I rarely watch TV, but I love this show.

RR- 3 miles with some trail, all relatively pain free. Amazing what a shot of cortisone can do. Or maybe it is still the lidocaine? Anyway, I'll take it!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#200 of 254 Old 10-24-2012, 10:08 PM

JayGee--yay for a pain-free run. That's awesome. Our district has 154 schools and about 85,000 students. We're the largest school district in Colorado.

Mel38--so sorry about your cat. greensad.gif

Plady--I also drop the f-bomb during arguments. Still working on that, though I think more sleep might help in my case.

Go superwoman MelW! Fight the power!

goodvibes.gif and more to everyone.

RR: 4 on the TM today.

NRR: The school fun continues here. Most recently, one of our board members was on some right-wing talk show and actually had the audacity to agree with a statement that she should be shot (she agreed twice!!!!)--and now she's claiming she didn't really hear what the host said because she was on the phone. I've heard the exchange, and there's no way she didn't hear him emphasize "shot." Seriously?!?!?! You know, we're only the district in which the Columbine massacre occurred, and not everyone has recovered from the Aurora theater shooting and hey, the northern part of the community is still reeling from senseless and brutal kidnapping and death of a 10-year-old girl, but hey, it's perfectly fine to agree that the way to solve differences of opinion about the budget is through violence. banghead.gif She told the news later that she's going to write an apology. I hope it contains her resignation. I'm sick of her lies, I'm sick of her continued insistence on ignoring laws, facts, and even arguing that the district's zero-tolerance policy for weapons is too extreme (see: Columbine), and she needs to go.

Also, an arrest was made in the Jessica Ridgeway case today. He's 17. I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around that. Lived in the neighborhood, also connected to the attempted abduction of a 22-year-old runner on Memorial Day while she was running on trails around the lake (came up behind her and put a "chemical-laced" cloth" over her mouth, but she fought him off). Apparently he said something to his mom that made her wonder or partly confessed to her or something, and she made the call and he turned himself in. I can't imagine. The news is reporting that some of Jessica's remains have been found at the house (no official word from the PD, although it would make sense). Ugh.

I'm not sure I feel better or safer. I think I would if it was the typical 32-year-old white male and prior sex offender, yk? But it's a 17-year-old kid who was described by his biology lab partners as seemingly perfectly normal, not creepy or weirdly focused on certain parts of biology or whatever. He had taken a course on forensic pathology and won an award for his project though, which is interesting so long as we remember that none of the other kids in that class kidnapped and killed and dismembered someone. And then there's all the (supposedly sane) people calling for vigilante justice and saying distasteful things like "don't waste the taxpayers money on him, just let us at him" and that's almost as unsettling. So, yeah.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#201 of 254 Old 10-25-2012, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
bec

Mel - I'm so sorry about your kitty.  I am still reeling, on occasion my dog passing last spring.  Let yourself grieve, and don't worry what other people think. 

Vagpreneur - *snort*

Entitled kids - I came unglued on my eldest with her rudeness the other day.  A day that I had spent running her and her sisters around to every imaginable activity, homework, instrument practice, speech practice, and working some crazy hours this week!  She's been much nicer to me since.  I guess she figured out where my breaking point is.

RR: After basically a full week with nothing, I finally got a good workout in.  Tri class has really upped the level of intensity this year!  Every class is a brick.  A swim, followed by either a run or a spin (it will be a bike when spring rolls around). 

NRR: I have spent most of the week working on getting the store re-merchandised properly (the entire method has changed).  So, after my Friday shift, I'll have put in almost 30 hours.  That sounds a lot more like full time than part time!  Anyway, at least the district manager loves me!  She told my manager that I am her favorite person that they have hired for this new position!

Also, my DH flies out of the country to Tel Aviv for 2 weeks on Friday.  Ergh.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#202 of 254 Old 10-25-2012, 07:00 AM

Thanks guys. grouphug.gif I am missing my kitty but feeling really supported by the family. I realized when we all said goodbye that the kids, even my oldest, don't know the house without him. For me, too, he represents what I feel were my best family years. Early marriage, babies, making our home, so all good memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post

Entitled kids - I came unglued on my eldest with her rudeness the other day.  A day that I had spent running her and her sisters around to every imaginable activity, homework, instrument practice, speech practice, and working some crazy hours this week!  She's been much nicer to me since.  I guess she figured out where my breaking point is.

And that is such an important lesson for kids to learn, I think. Just becoming aware that parents don't *have* to do all these things for kids, and there are plenty of parents who can not or will not do them. I agree, a thank you now and then would be a nice gesture, or at least spare me the overt criticism.

Plady grouphug.gif I'm acquainted with that particular elephant, too.

Today is packing and errands day before we drive up to DC tomorrow. Yikes, get a load of that storm headed up to the NE, Sandy!! DH was planning on flying to Germany at the end of the week, so we will have to see how things develop.

The weather forecast for the MCM calls for rain, highs in the 50s. I wonder what to wear? I think a long sleeve tech shirt in any case, but I was actually planning to run in shorts - now I am rethinking that. Maybe capris would be better? I will pack them just in case.

I also checked out the course online and made a plan for when to fuel, so I am definitely operating under the assumption that I can manage to run this race. It will be 15 days between my last run and the marathon. My knee does feel good, but I decided against any running this week. I wouldn't be building endurance, and I would rather err on the safe side as far as any pain and inflammation go. I have been aqua-jogging just to loosen up my hamstrings.

I hope you all have a great weekend! blowkiss.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#203 of 254 Old 10-25-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post
 Just becoming aware that parents don't *have* to do all these things for kids, and there are plenty of parents who can not or will not do them. I agree, a thank you now and then would be a nice gesture, or at least spare me the overt criticism.

I threw a small fit yesterday when my kids were starting to groan over their breakfast and I snapped at them about how many kids they go to school with who don't even have parents home when they get up for school let alone make them a hot breakfast every day.  They shut up and ate.

I'm sorry for anyone else who is in the same abstinence boat.  I think it's really bugging me now because I'm 40, which means that my 30s (aka woman's sexual prime) are in the rear-view and I sort of feel cheated.  And it's not like you can really nag someone into making out with you, so it's tricky to navigate that angle as well.

#204 of 254 Old 10-25-2012, 10:26 AM

Real - omg. That is so sad, and stunning , and sad. Its tragic that it ever happened, and then that a kid himself could have done it makes me weep for everybody involved. I get what you mean about not feeling safer; it's like, when a 17 year old could do such a thing, how can you ever feel safe. yuck. what the h*** is going on with kids today. somehow I feel the insistence of existential angst coming into all this teen horror, that to me is increasingly exacerbated by our tech-saturated, over-stressed, consumer-driven disconnected culture disappointed.gif I mean, how sad and lonely and screwed up would a "normal" kid have to be to do something like that. Just sad. Im sorry for your community.

Plady - I have a little of what you describe. I will say that the elephant parks her big ass in our house now and then, but I think I get what you;re saying. I was without a menstrual cycle until I was 37, and wow, those hormones are FUN. Too bad I am married and old[er] with 3 kids. I feel that sense of lost time sometimes. The past 2 years (40-42) have been a real [cliche] midlife processing time for me, but I think Im coming out of it and I feel happier, although keep thinking about the adage "youth is wasted on the young" Oh to know what I do now 20 years ago!. Maybe this is part of your midlife psychic reorganizing

Bec/Plady - I speak firmly (not yelling, but mad) at my kids a lot about how much I do for them. Ive threatened to just sleep in and let them get ready themselves and just wake me up when they are ready to get in the car lol.gif They stop complaining for, mm, 15 minutes maybe disappointed.gif

RR....

NRR...Im finishing paper #3 of 5. #4 and 5 should be easier, so Im over the hump. And I think Im actually doing ok. I mean I am dissecting some heavy-duty philosophical sh** and think I get it ... or my brain has in fact turned to pudding, which is what it feels like..

... and back to it...

#205 of 254 Old 10-25-2012, 08:10 PM

Sparkle. In my experience: semesters 2 and 3 of a masters program get easier.

Real: I can't even imagine.

Jo. Missing you

Gaye. Hope your visit is awesome.

My husband gets his head up his butt about 4 weeks out of 16. Can you tell we're on the college cycle?

Geo: I think about you and all the stuff your family is working on right now. Duh. Of course you didn't p r the half. Also. You should enter grandmas half lottery next spring.

#206 of 254 Old 10-26-2012, 01:09 PM

Thanks. Kerc. It's amazing how well versed I feel in Plato, Aristotle and the history of rhetoric right now. Anyone have a question ? lol.gif

Turns out that the paper I wrote for #3 seriously overlaps with what I am supposed to write for #4 (duh, why did he offer a Q for #3 that is so close to #4). Anyway, my #3 is my pies de resistance of the midterm, and now it has to be moved into the #4 slot, worth less points, and I have to write another survey paper of another topic irked.gif I decided to crank it out, and after all the in depth study and writing Ive done this week it's actually possible. I "cranked out" 3 pages of it in an hour this morning, for example.

RR: in the meantime, I went to the gym joy.gif 63 minutes bike intervals, 22 minutes run/walk at 8:30 pace. I approached it as a "steady state" workout (for those familiar with rowing vernacular) and it was actually enjoyable. Hard, but not too hard. After 10 days off, not too shabby

NRR.... nothing new redface.gif Oh wait! Soup party tomorrow night with some parents/friends connected to the kids' school. I plan to bring the bottle of gin in my freezer, some tonic, and limes .... and maybe some soup lol.gif no, I'm serious.

Does anybody else find that under a lot of stress, other mental faculties go weak, like eating well, spending responsibly, and using decent language? Apparently my brain is baked b/c Im eating crap, planning for all the shopping I will do when this is done, and swearing more than is respectable for a 42 year old mom lol.gifbag.gif

#207 of 254 Old 10-26-2012, 07:05 PM

My stress habits are extreme forgetfulness and clumsiness. I lose keys, wallet, cellphone pretty chronically, usually wandering around the house swearing as I try to get ready to go only to discover that the cell is in my pocket and the keys are in my hand. Then I trip over the doorstep and get to work looking like a mess.

Re: Elephants, I have a relationship that isn't prone to ignoring any large lurking mammals. That doesn't mean that the beast doesn't show up, but that we both tend to keep pointing and saying "elephant, elephant!". I'm not sure how helpful this is, but at least it's out in the open.

real, that's horrific. I'm grateful for your community that the boy has been found, but so sad for everyone involved. Ugh.

sparkle, hooray for the gym!!

RR- I'm skipping bootcamp tonight. I can't seem to shake this cough. It's been almost 2 weeks, and I have another night shift scheduled for tomorrow night. I need an evening on the couch and an early bedtime if I'm going to survive the weekend.

NRR- My oldest daughter's fiddle group has been invited to open for Ashley MacIssac next weekend. I had bought her tickets to see the concert with grandma for her birthday present (she's 7 next Thursday!), but now she's going to get to be up on stage.

#208 of 254 Old 10-26-2012, 09:17 PM

plady~I feel your pain. I think pretty often about the fact that I'm in my sexual prime and yet there has been nada for over 5 years now. I keep thinking maybe someday...preferably before I'm well out of said sexual prime. Sigh.

mel38~I'm so sorry about your kitty. You are so going to rock your marathon, though! Thinking good weather thoughts for both of us...that it waits till after your race and is long gone before mine!!

I'm pretty wiped out, I'll be honest. By the time I get back from NYC, I'm going to need a month to recover, I think. I went to bed Wed night at 8:15, immediately after tucking DS in, and last night at 9-ish. I would have willingly gone to bed at the same time tonight, but I hadn't been online (other than my phone) in nearly 72 hours, and I had 197 emails sitting in my inbox. rolleyes.gif So, I figured I would at least check in here before heading to bed. It's been a good visit so far, although my stepdad is definitely showing his age and not nearly as energetic as I'm used to. He's 79 now, so I guess that's to be expected, but I still don't like it. We have been quite the tourists...the art museum (where my mom bought us a family membership for my birthday, cool!), a tour of the mint, the federal reserve bank money museum, down to Colorado Springs to the Air Force Academy to see the chapel and visitors center. Not to mention swimming at the hotel pool, going out to eat, and more. Phew. No wonder we're tired! One more full day of visit, which will be filled with a trip to Costco, carving our pumpkins, and trick or treating at the town center across the street.

I can't remember if I ever mentioned here, but we're doing a Biggest Loser competition at work. 3 months, everybody put in $20, biggest percentage each week wins a small prize, winner at the end gets all the cash. I was actually a little surprised that I didn't weigh more, but it's still more than I should weigh, so I'm trying to lose 14 pounds by the middle of January. Should be doable, if I can keep up exercise after the marathon, and just keep my eating habits under control. To that point, I got my first sets of Invisalign retainers on Wednesday...no more snacking because you're not allowed to eat or drink with them in! And you also have to brush after eating/drinking before putting them back in, so that's going to really make me be more mindful about eating. I won't be able to graze at work, at least not without brushing my teeth sixteen times. Although I am sad about not being able to just grab a coffee whenever. Not that I really do it that much, but of course now that I can't, I REALLY want to!

rr~Did anyone mention that it has been snowy and cold here? :brr I am a wimp. So I went to spin class yesterday morning (and it was a really good one!) and then ran for an hour on the hotel dreadmill while watching DS swim with grandma this morning. I also swam some laps while DS was swimming last night. I have my "long run" of 8 miles tomorrow morning, which I'm going to do on the hotel dreadmill again, just because it makes it easier for grandma and grandpa to watch DS and entertain him. Yee haw.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#209 of 254 Old 10-26-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:

Does anybody else find that under a lot of stress, other mental faculties go weak, like eating well, spending responsibly, and using decent language?
100% yes. Especially eating and language, but the spending thing too. I try to aim that toward things I need at least (like another pair of running shoes) because then it feels like pampering myself with an expensive I'll eventually have anyhow. Not, mind you, that I'm always that good. whistling.gif

What is this "sexual prime" everyone is speaking of? I'm pretty sure I've never felt as asexual as I have in my 30s. Maybe that will change in the next two years before I hit 40? (Maybe not and I don't really care?)

RR: 3 on the TM. 'Cause it's cold. Also, because I'm not quite ready to venture outside yet. Tomorrow I'm running with another friend. Maybe Sunday. Maybe.

NRR: So sleepy, but I really should hammer out what might be the last election article. Or deal with bills. Or say to heck with it all and read a book. Or just go to sleep. Hmmm. sleeping.gif

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#210 of 254 Old 10-27-2012, 05:26 AM

My friday:

<long work related stress day>

<feel free to skip to saga. it is not running related>

then pick up eldest to go to naturopath to get results from the food sensitivity testing. (a). I've read a lot of JAMA articles this week about said testing and have mixed ideas. (b). this test is the Iga/Igg test (for those familiar). We got there from many people I know locally suggesting it + the d**n rash she keeps getting. (But we paid out of pocket since apparently it isn't covered by my insurance and I was *so* underimpressed with the lady we went to). Anyhow ... draw the blood, mail off the test. wait 4 weeks (FOUR!).

In the meantime, she's taking fish oil, zinc, a multivitamin, and naturopath recommended gycine + probiotics. And has been for the last month. Also confusing the world: we went camping last weekend and it was cold. She had emergen-c (lots of zinc, among other things), when she doesn't usually. But otherwise, diet = normal. Also rash comes and goes.

Results: dairy sensitive, egg sensitive, gluten sensitive. Naturopath recommends dairy, egg, gluten free diet. WHOA. That's a big recommendation for a 10 year old the week before a big party for her dad and her own birthday. That's a lot. So as I told Nic, I'm then crying in the parking lot at the grocery because wow any one of those is a PIA, never mind all 3. Also because my dh does not  think we should do anything.

It isn't crazy that she's sensitive to all these things. It has been a confounding 10 years of on again, off again rash. But this is the first time we've seen it clear up from zinc. And I mention this to naturopath who can't explain why it cleared up with no dietary changes (in the four weeks while we've been waiting for the freaking test). Also Erin's behavior has been SUPER lately. I mean usually she's change-averse, transition-averse. And lately she's been awesome (behavior wise).

Insert discussion from above about

Quote:

Does anybody else find that under a lot of stress, other mental faculties go weak, like eating well, spending responsibly, and using decent language?

edited to add:

_________

The reason for the quote is yes! Which I forgot to put in my first message. My food and my family's food goes right downhill when I'm busy. My oldest defnitely plays on this and her behavior is sometimes out of control when I'm at my most stressed. Is this food related or is this "mom I need you to be my life compass?" hard to say.

_____

And here's my take thus far. Meeting with her pediatrician Thursday to discuss. This is our working plan we are proposing:

*Limit egg + dairy - but not remove entirely. (no more eggs for the sake of eggs, buy coconut milk. allow stuff like ice cream, but not every night).

*Limit gluten -- perhaps more rice, less pasta for instance -- again not remove entirely

*Continue with fish oil + zinc + multi

Continue to pump kid full of veggies and fruit. Continue to eat free-range grass fed beef, pork and chicken. Assess at New Year's. (which means choosing to let Erin have xmas cookies, but not sandwiches for lunch + pasta for dinner + xmas cookies). Her favorite foods are sushi (easy to be GF, DF, egg free) and spaetzel (not so easy). Aside from those two, she's not a huge fan of the sandwich, pizza, or burrito. She will eat veggies like nobody's child should. If I cut it, she will eat it (so long as I don't cook it or its tomatoes).

I feel like I'm walking this fine line between friends (and a spouse) who say its all b.s. and friends who talk regularly about leaky gut syndrome, have celiac, and tell me she should eat just chicken and broth for a month to get her gut healed. I'm not convinced her gut IS leaky, but part of me holds this what if:  what if I know she's sensitive to dairy, egg and gluten, don't take it out and end up with her developing one of the autoimmune diseases?  Gah. But then again, I have lived to age 37 with no major medical hassles. In college and high school. I had "exercise induced asthma." I also was super sensitive to dairy. Now I drink milk and eat ice cream, but I'm not forced to do it daily (milk) nor do I choose to eat ice cream daily. I haven't used an inhaler since 2001. (coincident with gaining lots of weight while pg and swearing ice cream should not be a part of my weekly grocery list).

Your thoughts?

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page